Originally published April 16, 2014 at 07:07p.m., updated April 17, 2014 at 12:13a.m.

Myles Turner to announce college choice on April 30

KU, Texas, SMU, Duke, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M on list

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Myles Turner, who is ranked No. 6 in the recruiting Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, will announce his college choice on April 30 on ESPNU’s Recruiting Nation show, the network announced Wednesday.

Turner, a 6-foot-11 center from Trinity High in Euless, Texas, has a final list of Kansas University, Texas, SMU, Duke, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.

He disputes that he has narrowed his choices to three.

“That’s false,” Turner told Zagsblog.com. “It’s kind of cloudy. I have ideas here and there where I want to go, but it’s not a straight shot. Just really where I’m feeling the most comfortable,” he added. “That’s really the biggest thing with me.”

Turner, who is ranked second nationally by ESPN, will be competing in Friday’s Jordan Brand Classic in New York and be a teammate of KU signee Cliff Alexander on the West team. KU signee Kelly Oubre is on the East.

Turner is questionable for Friday’s game (6 p.m., ESPN2) because of an ankle injury.

“I’m not sure if I’ll play yet, but hopefully I do,” Turner told Zagsblog after watching practice in sweats at Basketball City in Manhattan. “Even if I don’t play its just an honor to be a part of all this.”

Asked about KU by Zagsblog.com, Turner said: “I like the high-low system that coach (Bill) Self runs, due to the fact that I can play both the high and the low in that system with Cliff (Alexander) and a couple of other bigs over there. That would be really cool to be a part of.”

At this time, ESPNU listings indicate the April 30 show is slated to begin at 4 p.m. Eastern time, or 3 p.m. Central.

Battle on list: KU has started recruiting Tyus Battle, 6-5 sophomore shooting guard from Gill St. Bernards School in Gladstone, N.J., Zagsblog.com reports. Other schools on Battle’s list: Ohio State, Virginia, UConn, Villanova, Michigan, Syracuse and Indiana. Battle is ranked No. 11 nationally in the Class of 2016.

Wake’s KU reunion: Wake Forest coach Danny Manning on Wednesday announced the addition of KU grads Brett Ballard, Steve Woodberry and Justin Bauman to his staff. Woodberry and Ballard will be assistant coaches and Bauman director of basketball operations. The three worked for former KU All-American Manning the past two years at Tulsa.

“The four of us go back a good ways. They were all part of my staff at Tulsa, and they have an outstanding feel for the type of program we want to run. They will be valuable assets to our team, the university and the community,” Manning said.

Woodberry, a 1994 KU grad, said: “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to compete in the best basketball conference in the country (ACC). We have a great challenge in front of us, but I’m certain we will be up to the task. Wake Forest has had success here before, and we are looking to build it back to where it was and where it can be.”

Ballard, a 2003 KU grad, said: “I’m extremely excited to be here. It’s humbling to be a part of this university and in a prestigious basketball conference. Wake Forest has a great basketball tradition. We are going to build on what has been done here in the past. I’m also excited to be working with coach Manning again. With his background, he is somebody who is a great mentor and role model not only for me but for our players.”

Comments

William Weissbeck 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This is weird. He was supposed to announce this week before the Jordan Brand Classic. I worry that someone is buying into this kid and that it has Josh Selby written all over it. Having said that, I don't see this as a sign that he's picking Duke. Somehow, I see UCONN in this at the last minute. Is he waiting for NBA early entry deadline to see who stays? Parker hasn't announced yet.

Aaron Paisley 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I think he said he was going to choose AFTER the Jordan game a few weeks ago so this doesn't change the time line on his decision at all.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I heard the same although I thought he would commit earlier than the 30th.

Chris Bruning 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Whole lot going on in your post there. This is a KU-Texas battle for Turner.

Rob Bedford III 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I've been saying it will be Duke for a couple of weeks now. At this point I think it is Duke with Texas as a close second. It seems obvious he was not waiting on Embiid to declare.

Rob Bedford III 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes I am aware. Is it not possible for Duke to play two big men at the same time? Duke has been weak inside and it has cost them in the tourney. Would it not work out well for them to have Okafor and Turner controlling the paint? Are they not allowed to play at on the floor at the same time because they are both centers? Why would it be any different for Turner to play along side Alexander other than Alexander being a PF?

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Why would it be different with Alexander than Okafor "besides them playing different positions"? I think you answered your opwn question. There would be some times I would assume that Duke would play both Okafor and Turner but not for 25-30 minutes a game. I stand by my statement that Duke offers the least amount of available minutes in a prominent role, which is what these kids want.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Duke is a long way from home, but their system accommodates stretch-bigs better than ours.

His 3-point shooting is a distraction as far as I'm concerned. He needs to focus on getting better down low. I'm less excited to have him if he has the same shot selection as the Morris twins.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

A distraction? It means that Turner could play either end of the high-low since he could simply pass over the top of anyone defending him. Sherron Collins THRIVED having Markieff Morris and his three point threat pulling guys out from under the rim. Mason would have the same role as Collins and just as much room to operate.

At this point I think you are just making up excuses to be OK with not getting him.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No, I want Turner. I just want him a fill a role that does not include much three point shooting. He could be great in a high low but the high low does not extend to shooting threes. Our bigs can and should take the mid-range looks.

Markieff became an efficient shooter over the course of time. He didn't see a lot of minutes coming in. Coming in, he was a headache waiting to happen and his shot selection left a lot to be desired.

Teams will not respect Myles' 3-point shooting as much as you think they will. We disagree on that. If Myles is shooting threes it means Connor / Brannen / Tharpe are not shooting threes. Bad tradeoff.

High level guards will not be drawn to Kansas if Self alters the offense so 6'11 players can bomb away from deep. Turner's biggest impact for us would be shot blocking. We both want Turner, but for different reasons. And you are higher on him than me.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Duke returns Plumlee and Jefferson and of course adds Jahlil Okafor but other than that their front court isn't very deep. I don't think he will go there but can't rule it out either.

On Duke...“I feel like I fit in because Coach K has coached a lot of versatile bigs and that’s kind of what I am at this point. I feel like he’s one of the best coaches in college basketball.”

Joseph Bullock 5 months, 2 weeks ago

William, Myles said he was going to announce 'AFTER' the Jordan Classic, not before it!

Craig Carr 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Totally disagree, last thing this team needs is another player who thinks he is a OAD. Let Lucas, Mickelson and Traylor play. History will prove big men who put in the work on the bench end up being very productive players, If this year wasn't a perfect indication of needing upperclassmen leading then we will have to disagree, KU hasn't had a really good season ever without it.

Chris Bruning 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No. We want the best talent. We want Turner.

Rob Bedford III 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree. Traylor and Lucas are not going to help KU win a title. Mickelson is an unknown, KU needs Turner.

Mark Lindrud 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I have considered that too Craig. Alexander can play the 5 with Lucas, Mickelson and Traylor coming off the bench. I would say we have the depth in the middle.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We need his shot blocking. His "range"? No. In terms of things teams try to take away from us, Turner's 3 point shooting is at the bottom of the list. Teams will bait him into shooting it

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

All he has to do is make one every few games and the threat alone will pull defenders out. Then Selden and Mason can drive to an unprotected net. With Embiid only having range to about five feet there was always a clog of defenders under the rim and we saw what happened when Mason would drive into a clog of defenders. Turnover city. If defenders can just sit back and clog the lane, it forces EVERYONE to sit back and chuck threes and we are not a team that shoots the three well at this point.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

How many shots does he have to put up in order to hit one every few games? If it's not more than 1 out of 3 teams won't care. Connor was a 20% 3-point shooter for at least the first third of this year. I wouldn't count on Turner being better.

If he's only hitting one every few games that will not be enough to pull defenders out.

We were not a good 3-point shooting team last year but Turner's range is not the answer to that problem. That's a desperate solution. The answer to that problem is creating shots for Brannen, Connor, Tharpe.

Steve Corder 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Come or don't come to KU. personally, I am tired of the OADs and all the drama. Craig has a point.

Robert Rauktis 5 months, 2 weeks ago

More important…who are in the running to be the agents of these "student-athletes"?

Ryan Beddie 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The kid simply wants to make the best decision for himself. Should he stay home in Texas or go to KU, or the darkhorse SMU. Social Media and the Internet has just glorified his process like every other to something its not. He's an 18 yr old kid, let him decide his future and if he picks KU and comes here for 1 yr or 2 so be it. All of our bigs except Ellis if he has a monster season will be back in 2015 as well so no matter if he comes and goes this team will have potentially 4 upperclass Bigs

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think that going on national television to announce his college choice is the fault of either social media or the internet. He's nothing like other 18 year-olds. This is a carefully scripted promotional plan to try and obtain the highest-possible draft status. If there is a "fault" to be assigned, it's all his.

Do I blame him? No. But, like other posters mentioned, I'm already very tired of it. Second-round dismissals from the tournament and one-and-doners who sit out important games in which they could have played have left me a little bored with the whole process.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

How, exactly, is appearing on a national sports show to announce your college choice "not exactly seeking out a spotlight"?

This is the world we live in, I get it, but at least take responsibility. I have no bone to pick with Turner - for all I know he is a great, great kid - but let's not pretend that this is not first and foremost for publicity.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Join the modern world. ESPN wants to exploit this kid to get eyeballs on TV sets and probably called and offered him the opportunity to make his announcement on their recruiting show. I think your scenario of shameless self promotion to garner publicity and attention may be a bit overblown. We get that you don't see the necessity of it. I don't think it's necessary for kids to send 10,000 text message to their friends that they just spent the entire day with in school but such is the world we live in.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Your replies would be more meaningful if you actually read what you were replying to. Gross generalizations seem to work well for you but they aren't always accurate.

So...am I to feel sorry for the kid because he is being exploited? Get a grip! Three words: just say no. But he said yes, so own it. Don't make excuses for it. Just simply own it.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh yeah.....and stay out of my yard!

Ian Emerson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Here's the deal. The fact that Coach is shopping around for a guard means he knows his roster and has more faith in his big men than the guards on our team.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Self doesn't recruit big men to shoot threes. The shot blocking is what matters.

Three point shooting needs to come from Connor, Brannen, Tharpe. Wayne and Frank to keep people honest. Myles? no Perry? no

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Good grief, break out of your boring traditional mold and realize what's coming. You have to have as many diverse threats as possible or teams can shut you down. The more different types of skills a player has, the harder he is to guard. ISU is a nightmare to play because everyone on the team can score from anywhere on the floor. Now that they have recruited a little more size that can still shoot but grab a few rebounds they will be a legit threat for the Big 12.

This isn't 1990. basketball is won by diverse players that can score from everywhere and elite guards.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Your model is still the exception rather than the norm in college ball. In college at Kansas, Perry is most effective as a 4 and Myles most effective in the paint. To me it makes most sense to play to our strengths than to try and be different.

If my "boring traditional mold" becomes commonplace in college, then KU will be one of the last places to make that change. We have a tradition of balanced teams with big men that can play back-to-basket and players that fill roles. That will continue to work.

We had one of the most efficient offenses in the game last year and you always knew where those points were coming from. Please don't insinuate we need to now mold our offense after Iowa State.

Jay Beakum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Shane and Benz:

You guys have a nice, educated argument going. I agree with points from both sides.

What I’m seeing as the difference is literally old-school v new school. Benz sees Turner as a bridge for Self to cross into the new school. Shane doesn’t see Self changing his ways.

Personally I tend to agree with Shane a little more here, just because I don’t see Self using Turner that way. Not that he shouldn’t/couldn’t, just that he won’t. And Self’s record against Iowa St. the last three years, with a shot blocking big in the middle, backs up his choice. KU is 5-1 against ISU the last two years. The only loss coming when our shot blocking center was out with the back injury. In the first two games last season, Embiid simply owned ISU. They didn’t have an answer, and it wasn’t because he was pulling defenders out of the paint.

Benz, you believe ISU is a nightmare to play because Niang can step out. I think KU is a bigger nightmare to play with a shot blocking big in the paint.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

You do realize that shooting threes and blocking shots happen at different ends of the floor, right? And that we are talking about the same player who can, and does, do both things in the same game, right?

Self uses whatever talents a player on his roster has. If Turner can shoot some threes then he will have some plays to give him that or he will be given the freedom to step into a few in transition if he has the look. Self doesn't run the same system regardless of who he has operating in it.

Jay Beakum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I’m just saying that it’s a rare thing when a footer has the true ability to be a threat on the perimeter. He belongs around the rim unless he’s one of those rare guys. And we don’t know what he’ll do in college yet. Lot’s of guys hit threes in high school only to fall off in college. AW3 or Frankamp ring a bell.

If this guy can’t hit it, they are gonna let him take it, and your whole argument is out the window.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If Self has a 7' player who can shoot from the perimeter, of course he is going to take advantage of that. HCBS has always wanted all his players to extend their range..the Morris twins make good examples.

3 point shooting isn't the post important attribute Self looks at when recruiting post players but when they can, it extends the defense and makes it more difficult to guard not only the shooter but the entire offence.

Versatility is a good thing, to not use it just doesn't make sense.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If he's shooting three's he's not under the basket to get rebounds, regardless of which end of the floor we're talking about. On offense, I tend to think Turner is more valuable under the basket. If he's on the perimeter shooting a three, he's not rebounding that shot. It's also a shot that could be taken by someone else that will shoot it at a better percentage. And we will have multiple people that shoot it at a better percentage.

It's not a question about utilizing the talents of turner. It's about utilizing the talents of everyone on the court in the best way. In my opinion, that means not calling plays for Turner to shoot threes.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If he makes them, he doesn't need to be... Seems you wouldn't have wanted Durant to shoot the 3 either giving your philosophy.

It isn't that he wouldn't be playing in the post the vast majority of the time but the threat alone will change the defense.

And who are all the players shooting high percentage 3s? They weren't here last year.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I think we disagree about how often he will make them (see Jay's comment above). Establish the mid range first and only then extend out. You must be pretty low on our perimeter shooters if you'd rather have Myles take those shots.

I would not have wanted Durant to do that when he first stepped on campus, no. After he established a mid range game, ok.

Let's be clear, though, he is not Kevin Durant.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I cannot stand the OAD Merry Go Round either.

But Turner is different. Here's why - what are our other options now? We don't have a top 50 C or PF to snag and add at this point in time. If we don't sign Turner, we will be relying upon guys outside the top 100 (Lucas/Traylor) and a transfer with unknown ability (Mickelson) to be key rotation components. At least 2 of the 3 guys.

And don't get giddy about Self's comments on Mickelson. He made nice comments about Lucas, too, before the season and Self showed zero faith in him in important situations.

But as far as OADs, the Alexander signing is the problem. The Oubre signing is the problem. Both these guys, regardless of talk that they "may" consider a second season, are presumed OADs. That means coach Self has to assume they are OADs until they give surprise announcement in April of 2015.

It doesn't have to be this way. Coaches don't have to sign presumed OADs. Sign the "best" players? That's a copout fiction. Sign highly talented guys that fit your system, that will be 3 years players -- guys whose path to the NBA is not already paved, but guys whose path will have to be earned by their play and commitment at KU.

Jim Tebow 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Lucas and Mickelson were in the top 100 in high school. I think Traylor actually might have been as well. Though that doesn't matter at this point. They have college experience, so their high school rating is irrelevant. They will be fine. It will probably take Turner awhile to figure it out. It took Embiid a month or more

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Agree with Benz. In no way are Kelly and Cliff "problems." Really?

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If you look short term, no. But would you rather have, say, a Jermaine Lawrence type in year two and three (and likely a fourth season), or Alexander this season and the next OAD to come in for 2015?

Would you rather have Kelly Oubre (who I know everyone will say is the greatest thing since sliced bread in the off season -- it always works that way, guys coming in a put on a pedestal), or rely upon Brannen Green and Andrew White? Oubre hasn't proven anything. And he's likely gone too after one season.

At least with Oubre, we have high quality talent at the same spot.

Self says Greene will play in the NBA. So with that, Greene is to sit behind Oubre? There is that much talent difference?

I would much rather that Self have passed on Alexander and get a 3+ year PF in the top 50. Same with Oubre at the SF spot.

Part of the problem with the OAD Merry Go Round is that highly talented guys, say #15-60, see that coach Self can and will get OADs, recruiting right over them. Why not choose another school where you can be assured that won't happen?

None of this has a perfect answer, but we do know what our season looked like with three freshman in our lineup, two of whom are the likely #1 and #2 picks, right?

And if we sign Turner we'll likely start three freshmen again? I can hardly contain my excitement.

Shane Johnston 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The OAD "Merry Go Round" is more like the short ride ride that ends soon rather than the ride that never ends.

It's an important distinction you make earlier between OADs and presumed OADs. At the time that they are recruited, "OADs" are nothing more than presumed OADs. They cycle will not continue forever as you suggest it could, because Self is wary of the message it sends. Presumed OADs may also come back another year and that's where the real payoff will be. Wiggins and Joel were not your typical OADs. The choice to leave was really clear for both of them. Where the choice to return has been less obvious, more players than not elect to come back. As Benz suggests, I think it's more about the mix of talent.

I don't see Kelly as necessarily starting next year. Nor do I see him as necessarily leaving after one year. He is ranked similarly to Selden and Selden happened to come back. I could see Brannen getting big minutes.

Jay Beakum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I don’t think Oubre is a OAD. Selden was a bigger talent coming in, and he was never a serious risk to jump.

Alexander, (maybe Turner), Ellis and Selden will be the stars this year, and they may ALL go pro next year. Oubre will have a tough time carving out NBA draft status behind those guys, much like Selden did last year behind Wiggins, Embiid and Elllis.

So I think we should start including another legitimate category. The TAD’s. Two-and-done guys have an opportunity to contribute more than twice as much, considering the increased experience in year two. As a TAD, Oubre is a fantastic signing. If Alexander somehow doesn’t shine quite as bright as expected, and comes to the realization that another year would help, imagine how incredible THAT signing would look.

Rob Bedford III 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden came in as the 12th ranked recruit in 2013. Oubre is currently the 12th in 2014. Oubre has 2 inches on Selden and Oubre has a 7'2 wingspan. I think Oubre will be much better than Selden was during his freshman year.

Jay Beakum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden was in a much tougher class than Oubre, and I don’t see how being two inches taller makes you better when they are playing two different positions. That’s like saying Landon Lucas is better than Wiggins because he’s taller.

Hey I hope Oubre is better than Selden. No problem with Oubre at all. But both these guys have to come in and be the 3rd or 4th option. Selden was playing behind arguably the first two picks in the draft.

Rob Bedford III 5 months, 2 weeks ago

They are both shooting guards. How are they playing different positions?

Jay Beakum 5 months, 1 week ago

Oubre is a small forward like Wiggins.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Benz: Since 2000, the only national champions with an OAD in the rotation were Syracuse (2003 with Carmelo) and UK in 2012.

We aren't UK .. we don't do it that way. Ok, then, show me the success. Show me national championships won with OADs?

The OAD Merry Go Round requires Self to hit on OADs each season, or be left with even bigger holes.

I'm not going to repeat everything I said in the link provided, but Self is a system coach.

We just watched UConn win its fourth title since 1999. No OADs. We saw Louisville do it the year before. We've seen UNC win two, Florida win two. No OADs.

The key to titles is high talent, experience and chemistry. Again, Self is a system coach. He doesn't adapt his system to talent, it's the other way around.

You can live under this OAD illusion, believing that recruiting the best player available is the solution. But I'd much rather have Thomas Robinson, or the Morrises, for years 2 and 3, than Cliff Alexander for just year 1.

Recruiting players that develop in the system leads to the success Self has had. Now, after 2014, what do we do to fill Alexander's spot? And possibly Ellis' departure? We'll have low ranked/unranked guys. And if we don't hit on another OAD, we're hoping a high ranked (non-OAD) guy we bring in is starter ready.

The risk in the swing from NCAA to NIT is much greater when relying on OADs. The evidence is UK from 2012 to 2013.

Now, if one thinks we're UK and can replicate that, or one would want to replicate that, I'm all ears.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No, I don't assume that. I never said I assumed a roster of all OADs.

If you think the only problem was the surrounding talent, then talk to the scores of other squads that have not won the NCAA title with an exiting OAD.

But I'm not completely anti-OAD. Like Turner. Why not given our composition right now? But as far as building a program, give me a top 50ish guy in year two over Turner.

My position is what I think would lead to a stronger program overall, and a program better equipped under Self, as system coach, to win a national title.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Kansas did not fall short of a run last year because of their OAD players; they fell short largely because their MOST EXPERIENCED player on their roster, Naadir Tharpe, has not developed to even an average level.

Didn't Kansas just have a team LOADED with the exact type of players you talked about just two seasons ago? A starting lineup of four seniors. Guess who they lost to in the tourney - the youngest, least experienced team in the field in Michigan. 2014 marked the 4th consecutive season where the youngest team in the field played in the national title game.

Obviously you cannot Just rely on OAD players. You have to have the right combination of players that all perform their expected roles. Whether they are inexperienced or experienced, they just have to do what is expected of them. Teams with OADs who have fallen short have done so almost exclusively because they had deficiencies at OTHER areas of their team. Duke loses before their seed should every season that they do not have a top tier center. Every year that they DO have a top tier center they win the national title. It's not more complicated than that.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

"the only national champions with an OAD in the rotation were Syracuse (2003 with Carmelo) and UK in 2012"

Unfortunately, both teams beat Kansas teams led by experienced players..

I prefer Self to build his teams w/players who will stick around 3 - 4 years but it seems that he is leaning towards teams dominated by OADs. The 2008 team had plenty of 5 star talent but also the bedrock players like Darnell Jackson and Sasha Kuan. No OADs.

Still, you need to recruit the best talent available. Who would not have wanted Wiggins or JoJo? I think Oubre (like Selden) will stay longer than one season but if you are considered a lottery pick then you go.

Until the NBA & NCAA sit down and do away with the one year past graduation rule, then the current trend will continue. I don't care if it has no age rule or 2 years after graduation, it will be better than the current system.

William Weissbeck 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd like some comments about my theory that Turner is waiting to see what Parker at Duke is doing. If Parker unexpectedly stays, there is no roster spot for Turner.

Rodney Crain 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Duke would be a mistake for him, he is not going to be the best freshman on the team, nor is he going to unseat the Okafor. It has to be TX, KU, and maybe SMU.

Ryan Zimmerman 5 months, 2 weeks ago

If we don't get Turner, our bigs are hosed... period

do we have depth? Yes... Traylor, Lucas, Mickelson are great subs. None should be a starting big man at Kansas. Kansas State? Maybe...

did anyone see how poorly we played on the blocks once Embiid was out? Black and Ellis did decent, but Ellis can't do it alone. With no Black to take some of the focus off Ellis, we're in trouble.Ellis isn't big enough to be the main one we rely on underneath. Mickelson averaged 5 point a game at Arkansas during his tenure. Lucas apparently isn't doing something right or else he would have played more last year. Traylor had the one great game and then fades away and is far from reliable.

Turner is incredibly important to this program right now. We have to get another big man. We won't be able to spread the ball and penetrate without it

Craig Carr 5 months, 2 weeks ago

So short sided, same argument we all heard about Withey, Jackson, T-Rob and the twins after the first year. List could go on but point should be obvious. Stop judging players after minimal playing time and overvaluing incoming players.

Tony Bandle 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Let's look at his choices [which could change in a hearbeat]:

1] Texas A&M - outside of Florida, UK and maybe Tennesse, the conference pretty much is mediocre basketball-wise. Will always be a football conference.

2] SMU - Great Coach, not so great conference..exposure a possible issue.

3] Duke - O-K-A-F-O-R..enough said.

4] OSU - They already have a big man that can shoot the three..Ford still the coach last time I looked.

5] Ohio State - Looks good on the resume but probably not an ideal option based on their roster.

6] TRUE POSSIBLITY 1A Texas - Close to home, great conference, excellent exposure....downside, lots of competiton in the post from Ridley especially.

7] TRUE POSSIBILITY 1 KANSAS - Offense runs through the big men, Cliff and Kelly have been selling KU for three months, with all due respect to Landon, Hunter and Jamari..the starting center position would be his to lose. had a great on-campus visit, KU provides excellent exposure, possible 1and 2 lottery picks in '14 NBA Draft, Lawrence not that far from Texas.

DISCLAIMER: despite my highly scientific analysis of Myles' choices, this decision is in the hands and heart of an eighteen year old so all bets are off.

Robert Brock 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Texas it is. He moves in and immediately takes minutes from Prince Ibeh (Ibeh flat-out cannot shoot).

Aaron Paisley 5 months, 2 weeks ago

You could say that SMU is in an inferior league, but that inferior league is also home to the team that just won a national championship.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Anyone who is saying they don't want Turner because of the OAD drama is an idiot. The kid is 7 feet tall, can shoot the ball and can block shots. What about that don't you want???!!! Because he's likely a OAD? That means he's BETTER than most of the other players. If we didn't have the Wiggins OAD "drama" last year we would have lost well more than we did and might not have won another BIG 12 title. Get used to the OAD culture people, if we want the best we have to accept it. I'm very sick of hearing people say they don't want Self to recruit the best. That is idiotic.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The best program .. program .. is not built on a revolving door of OADs.

Great, we signed Wiggins. We exited in the 2nd round. Now what do we have to show for it? Oh right, a "ten there, done that" t-shirt.

On the other hand, if Wiggins never came, where would we be? What would our tourney run have looked like? What kind of chemistry would have developed? Would we have been a better team? No one knows.

And where would we be as far as talent development heading into next season? That we have a better idea ... we can reasonably assume that Brannen Greene would be better equipped for 2014-15 if he had been a 25 mpg starter, as an example. Or that Andrew White would have done the same thing in that role.

It is not "idiotic" to despise the concept of presumed OAD players treating KU as a pit-stop.

We can win without them. That has been proven.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Great, we had four seniors in 2013. We made it to the Sweet Sixteen before those veteran, savvy, experienced seniors choked to the youngest team in the field who went on to play for the national title. What's your point?

I get the desire to place blame on why our season ended how it did. YOu are just pointing the wrong direction. If you want to lay blame on Self for his recruiting mistakes, point at the fact that we had zero point guards of our three that were able to perform at even the avergae college level. If we have that we likley advance much further.

Brett McCabe 5 months, 2 weeks ago

How far did this year's team make it?

And it wasn't four seniors who choked. It was one.

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

What would our tourney run look like had we had our other OAD healthy??? I would put a lot of money on us getting past Stanford and Dayton. Please, if you are unhappy we got Wiggins for a year then keep your TV set on ESPN Classic.

I don't agree with the OAD rule, I believe if a player wants, let them go to the Pros right away, but if they choose college they should stay for two years. But I also dont agree with a lot of other rules and regulations in other aspects of life, but live with them and make the best out of a situation. To say you don't want Self to recruit the best of the best.. that is idiotic.

Benz Junque 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree with (please forgive me) John Calipari that players should not be able to go straight to the pros from high school. If they know that they are going to declare for the NBA right out of high school then there is ZERO reason for them to keep their high school academics in order. If they KNOW that they are required to go to at least one year (and again I agree with Cal that it should be bumped out to two years) of college then they are forced to keep their HS academics up to snuff.

Jack Wilson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Andrew: So you'd rather have, for example, Cliff Alexander for one season, or Thomas Robinson for three. And given that choice, you think it is idiotic to choose TRob (or similarly situated player) over the one year presumed OAD?

And Benz, it's not whether we can lose with different roster compositions. That logic can be used to defeat any discussions. It's about probabilities. And about our coach and his system. Do you think coach Self, as a system guy, has a better chance with OADs as the primary focus?

Andrew Horigan 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, hypothetically, if we were recruiting both at the same time of course I'd rather have Alexander than Robinson. But that's also assuming we'd have multiple 2-3 year players under Self's system also at the post spot that would either start, or come off the bench (which we do in this upcoming years' team, Ellis, Traylor, Lucas, Mickelson) And yes, if you would pass over on Alexander because he is an assumed OAD for a 3 year project, that is idiotic in my book.

William Weissbeck 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Comments about the OAD's - that's why last year's loss to UM was really bad. That was a younger team that had a shooter willing to take (and hit) critical shots he had missed earlier in the game. We committed critical guard mistakes, missed a reverse that should have been a dunk, and let a guard drive straight to the basket. You just aren't going to get Withey's year back in the form of another big man all that easily. Of course I'm sure that AZ and FL fans are saying the same thing - that sort of chemistry is hard to repeat.

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No..not even close. What was bad is that one player had a complete breakdown in the final 2 min of a game we had all but wrapped up.

Why HCBS left EJ in the game I'll never understand. Hitting a UM player in the groin should have been more than enough to pull him from the game but he didn't and the rest is history.

Bud Stagg 5 months, 2 weeks ago

OAD's don't work well unless you have a point guard who can get the ball to them. Our guard play sucks. We don't have the intelligence, ball handing, or defense in this area.

Bryce Landon 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We could have if Self had been willing to have his guys play zone.

Bryce Landon 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Meanwhile, I see Tulsa is taking a step down in their coaching search. With Danny Manning leaving for Wake, who are they set to replace him with?

Wait for it...wait for it...

Frank Haith

Joe Baker 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it will be interesting what happens between now and April 18. If we don't hear of any transfers by April 18, I will be confused. If we don't hear a transfer by April 18, that tells me Self may go with one or the other recruit. I just don't see Self taking Graham over Turner if there's only one slot open.

Why would Self recruit both players if there's only one slot? This would pretty much guarantee that Self is working out some details to get both players on campus this Summer. It would be a little silly to have one slot and recruit two recruits.

So, we should be hearing of a change or transfer between now and April 18. If we get Turner and he continues to recruit Graham, you can take a transfer to the bank, but who?

This is too much post-season fun.

Yonatan Negash 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yonatan Negash 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Why would you remove my comment?

I simply stated that, "Turner is going to Texas, it's a done deal".

Yes, Kevin Durant and Turner are friends and Durant has sold Texas to Turner.

How is that considered a violation of the usage agreement?

Walter Bridges 5 months, 2 weeks ago

"it's a done deal"

Apparently not. When he signs the LOI, then it's a done deal. Not saying he won't choose Texas but if he already has, why wait till the 30th? Attention?

Surely you have a definitive source...care to share?

Erich Hartmann 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Pick SMU and be done with it. Play with Mudiay, get a ton of mpg...get Larry to the Tournament after this year's snub.

Or come play hi-low with Self's boyz. But let the season play out and be honest about your abilities, if deciding to leave. Can you defend? Are you tough in the paint? Can you be an above-the-rim player? Be ready for a man's game in the paint, not only in Div.1, but especially at KU, where you must be a MAN in practice and in real games, day after day after day. You dont ever want to get called "soft" by Bill Self. We dont need that.