Sunday, April 13, 2014

KU signees help USA squad to victory at Hoops Summit

Future Kansas University basketball players Kelly Oubre, left, and Cliff Alexander pose during media availability leading up to the 2014 McDonald's All-American Game.

Kansas University basketball signee Kelly Oubre scored 14 points, grabbed five rebounds and dished three assists in the United States Junior National Select Team’s 84-73 victory over an international 19-and-under squad at Saturday’s Nike Hoops Summit in Portland, Ore.

Oubre, a senior shooting guard from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., hit five of 11 shots and was 2-of-7 from three-point range.

KU signee Cliff Alexander, a center from Chicago’s Curie High, scored six points off 2-of-7 shooting with two rebounds and a block as the U.S. snapped a two-year losing streak.

Future Duke players Justise Winslow and Jahlil Okafor had 16 and 14 points respectively. Okafor had 10 rebounds and Winslow six. Future Duke guard Tyus Jones had 10 of his 13 points in the fourth quarter. He had six assists and five steals, no turnovers.

The international team was led by future SMU point guard Emmanuel Mudiay, who had 20 points and three assists.

Oubre measured 6-foot-6 1/2 (in shoes) and 204 pounds on Saturday. His wingspan is 7-foot-2 and reach is 8-8.

Alexander measured 6-8 (in shoes) and 251 pounds. He has a wingspan of 7-3 1/2 and reach of 9-0.

Uncommitted Myles Turner, a center from Trinity High in Euless, Texas, scored two points and grabbed three rebounds. He injured his ankle in the second half and sat out the final minutes icing his ankle on the bench.

Turner reported on Twitter that he’s been diagnosed with a “mild sprain.”

As far as Oubre’s performance. ...

“Kelly Oubre made his presence felt using his athleticism and shooting ability to pour in 14 points,” wrote Matt Kamalsky of DraftExpress.com. “While Oubre’s shot selection and shooting consistency leave something to be desired, he knocked down two of his seven attempts from beyond the arc and made the most of every opportunity to get to the rim. He may not be the same caliber of prospect as Andrew Wiggins is, but he can make an instant impact next season for the Jayhawks.”

Adam Zagoria of zagsblog.com assessed: “Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander are both strong, tough, competitive guys who will go a long way toward helping to replace Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid at Kansas. If they get Myles Turner, too, look out.”

Wiggins attends Raptors game, picks agent: KU freshman Andrew Wiggins and his brother, Nick, had courtside seats for the Toronto Raptors’ game against New York on Friday in Toronto, the Toronto Sun reports. The paper reports that Wiggins has selected Bill Duffy as his agent and has started preparing for the draft workout process. Duffy represents Canadian sensation Steve Nash, the paper said. KU coach Bill Self said recently Wiggins would “fulfill his academic obligations” the rest of the semester.

“He’s right on track academically,” Self said. “We’ve had a perfect APR for seven years in a row. He knows he has to finish in order for us to (continue that). There’s no question (he will).”

Comments

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

These two look great but without an improvement at PG I am not sure it will be much better than this past year.

I hope we get Turner, I think we have a great shot at that, but there is a reason Coach is chasing PG's right now. We have to get better at that position to unleash all this talent. Jack, HEM, is right we should really temper our excitement considering all the talent coming in too!

Suzi Marshall 8 months, 2 weeks ago

My bet is Self ends up moving Selden to the 1. Oubre's seems to have the handle he can play the 2.

Robert Brock 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Congratulations! you have won the Daily-Double! Shelden cannot play the 1 and Oubre's ball-handling will prove that he will be a 3.

Thanks for playing...

Greg Lux 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I feel confident Conner can and will handle part of the PG duties. He is a great ball handler and I am sure with more PT next year he will raise his 3 point shooting average. He is also quick enough to get into the lane. With a true chance I feel Conner can do an excellent job running our team.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

It is his defense against quick more talented guards that is his issue. Against fast, better players he cannot stay with them. Hard to improve quickness...

Shane Johnston 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Agree. I'd rather see him off the ball running off screens and looking for shots.

We could have one heck of a shooting lineup next year if Brannen, Connor, Tharpe, Turner and Ellis all managed to make it on the court at the same time...

Shane Johnston 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden at the 1 doesn't make sense to me. With him at the one, then we have three players coming off the bench who are all more of a natural point guard. All so a natural two guard can play out of position?

I don't like Perry at the three either. I think he's best at the four...even if we're stacked there and he's the most likely candidate to shift down. We need to play to our strengths. Lineup changes need to driven by what we need. We don't need size in our guards. We need guards who can protect the ball and stay in front of people because we may not have shot blocking next year.

One take away from the title game was that bigger guards with size can be a liability.

Mick Allen 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Good comment Shane. A number of Jayhawk faithful put too much emphasis on size at the point and at the 2. The Harrison twins could not keep Napier and Boatright in front of them. At the guard position speed and quickness with the ball and on defense still trumps size especially on the college level. I still believe Mason, with the improvement of his jump shot can be Napier like. Conner is more of a 2 in a point guard body. He has not shown the ability to get in the lane off the bounce and make plays for others. As I've stated before he takes care of the ball as evidenced by 3 turnovers in 140 minutes.Granted his playing time was limited but he had very few assists. He was instructed to take care of the ball which he did. Good point guards will balance 3 turnovers a game to 6 or 7 assists a game.To get the ball to a teammate for an easy basket is not without its turnover risks. You have to get to a point from experience and feel for the tempo of the game where you understand that the pass you are about to make has more of a probability of being a success than a failure. This is the reason HCBS has not been overly concerned with averaging 12 to 14 turnovers a game as long as we are averaging 16 to 18 assists a game. This year's team in addition to being the worst defensive team he has had was also one of the worst passing teams he has had. That being said if he can find a good point guard who can put pressure on Mason, Frankamp and Nude ir for playing time can't hurt.

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I watched this game and Cliff had about 2 other blocks that were negated due to goaltending calls that were NOT goaltending. Kelly Oubre doesnt get his just due again after being one of the best players on the floor again, not to mention he played just about every minute. Cliff is an absolute monster going back to the basket but i have to admit he did not use a single post move ingame and you can see why Okafor is ranked ahead of him.

Mel Clare 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The best option at point is Frankston starting and Mason coming off the bench. Tharpe is just to inconsistent and very loose with ball security

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Do you have any stats on this new player Frankston? (sorry could not resist :))

Suzi Marshall 8 months, 2 weeks ago

KO looked ALOT better than I thought and will be an instant impact player. It seems KO has the handle to play the 2. If Selden can play the point and Ellis the 3, we can field a really big lineup!

Ian is right, Big Cliff didn't show any kind of post movement. He might be more of a development player than instant impact. Any kid with talent and size that plays with the motor and passion Alexander does, will be Great.

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I would love for Perry to play the 3! Ive been a proponent of that for a long time but in the back of my mind there is the problem of Perry being a liability guarding the 3.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree Suzi he looked smooth on both side of the ball. Cliff looks tired actually, he was more explosive early in his season than he is now. Still a force, maybe some coaching and conditioning with Hudy will do the trick???

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

How about this Suzi. 1- Selden/Frank/Conner 2 - Kelly/Brannen/Andrew 3 - Perry/Kelly/Brannen 4 - Cliff/Jamari/Lucas 5 - Turner/Hunter/Lucas

That's one big starting five. I just think Naa transfers out, I dont see Self relying on him anymore. He had his chance and he messed it up big time.

Suzi Marshall 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Exactly, almost. I'd love to see CF as the primary backup for the 1 and 2 but I know how much Self loves Mason.

That starting lineup would be:

1) 6'5" - Selden has the handle and leadership skills to handle this.

2) 6'7.5" - KO is showing the handle and shot to hold down the 2. KO would need to chip in on the offensive glass.

3) 6'7" - Ellis has the speed and quickness for the 3 but with the troubles he had guarding a 4, this could be trouble. If Ellis plans to play the 3 in the NBA, he can certainly do it in college.

4/5) 6'8" - Big Cliff would provide much needed toughness. With Ellis and Turner away from the OBoards, Big Cliff is much needed.

4/5) 6'11" - Turner would be a pick and pot nightmare, somewhat like Austin.

I don't even want to mention the former Kansas PG you speculated as a transfer but hope you are correct.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Self is on the hunt for a PG right now, I am confident he will find one before this is all said and done. I cannot see Tharpe transferring and sitting out a year to play a year without an injury.

Selden cannot play PG in Self's system, he is not careful enough with the ball and needs to work on his post passing.

Perry better be working on his defense and his finishing at the rim or he will not be starting next year. Especially if we add Turner.

Suzi Marshall 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Selden can make spectacular passes but you are right, he can be a turnover machine. Frankamp is our steady unspectacular option, assuming Self can not find anyone.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Some of those turnovers were post passes that went zooming out of bounds.

I think Self is going to find another option for PG.

Shane Johnston 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Say we get a transfer point guard and Tharpe stays. Do you see Tharpe, Connor and Frank all coming off the bench? I would be worried about chemistry problems even if we get a guard that comes in and contributes right away.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I would risk any chemistry issues against better PG play than that of the last two years. Once they figure out the Scholarships, one of them could red shirt if the new player can help us right away. We have to get better at that position or we will struggle again next season.

Eric TheCapn 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Matthew Pyle 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Call me crazy, but after watching them play, I think we have better options on the team now. I doubt either of these guys start; maybe Alexander, but he didn't look anything close to a OAD player.

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Matthew you are crazy.

Kelly can start day one, due to his defense, and the way he can attack the rim. Cliff will need some coaching, but might start depending on how the others improve over the summer.

Mick Allen 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I'll be quite surprised if they don't both start.

Tony Bandle 8 months, 2 weeks ago

First of all, thanks LJW for fixing the site both in posting order and reactivating the response mode.

Despite his issues both on and off the court, I think Naadir will be back next year...to transfer and either sit out a year or go Division 2 would be counter-productive to his bests interests. Alos, as a four year guy, I think Bill will give him one more opportunity.

UCONN proved the value of two top flight guards. If somehow, Naadir, Frank and Conner could focus on the PG position, I think the SG with Selden the primary and Oubre and even Greene filling in if Conner is at point or on the bench, could be covered.

Call me crazy, but I feel NOT getting Myles Turner would be a HUGE blow to our chances next year...almost as much for the loss of flexibilty and depth as the loss of the talent he brings to the table.

Shane Johnston 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I agree about our guards.

I'm on the fence about your take on Turner. He'd be really nice to have as a go-to sophomore if he's not OAD, but it depends on how good you feel about Lucas. What do you think Lucas' numbersrs would be next year without Turner- mins, pts rebounds?

El Jay 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Rodney Crain 8 months, 2 weeks ago

El this post looks straight forward to me, if it gets deleted you need to contact someone about the issue.

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Graham, the pointguard that left Appalachian State, has only two schools on his official visit list. KU and NCState. If coach can sell this kid on working hard and playing to his potential we might have a new PG for out team. Did i mention he is 6'2"?

Greg Lux 8 months, 2 weeks ago

With Turner still inline to come and only 3 scholarships available someone is going to have to leave to make room. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings but I think most of us can guess who it will be transferring if needed..

Ian Emerson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

If you look through my board messages no one stuck up for him more than me. Sadly i ate my words during the second half of the season...

Greg Lux 8 months, 2 weeks ago

It's hard for these young men to do much more then dribble drive when they have seldom played together. Remember these are the "Scorers" off of their respective teams. Feeding the post takes timing and patience which most of these stars don't have at this point. Once Turner gets here and HCBS gets his inside out offense going I am betting Myles will do just fine. He appears to be a very bright young man.

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I determined last week that the LJW has been deleting comments by commenters who appear to have fake names.

Eric theCapn and El Jay are always deleted. My take is that someone at the LJW is scanning the comments and just deleting all comments if he/she doesn't believe the person is using their real name.

Change your names to Eric Capitan and L. J. Hawkins and you should be good to go.

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 2 weeks ago

maybe they're volunteering. Maybe it's someone on staff who is just doing it in his "free time"...

Ryan Zimmerman 8 months, 2 weeks ago

If we can get Graham and Turner, it's time for AW3 to go... plain and simple

Jonathan Allison 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just arguing with your wording, but I don't think that it's fair at all to say "time for AW3 to go".

Yes, if we get two scholarship players, then someone has to be transferring.

I'm not convinced that Self is going to sign two guys and then convince someone to transfer. I think that Self's primary target is Turner. Self is recruiting PG as a "position of need", but I think that he will not sign a PG until someone transfers or we miss on Turner. I don't think that Self is going to pull anybody's scholarship. I am convinced that if anybody transfers, it will be because they decided to transfer, not because Self signed another recruit and needs to pull someone's scholarship.

Perhaps Self has a verbal commitment from Graham, that he will commit as soon as we free him up a scholarship. Then Self may meet with some of him players and discuss transferring, but I doubt that he will be telling anyone that he has decided to pull them off scholarship.

If we had a walk-on who had be granted a scholarship after Self failed to sign a full class, then maybe. But we don't have that this season.

Ryan Zimmerman 8 months, 2 weeks ago

well yeah, I mean I know we can't necessarily "tell" AW3 to go, but if anyone is going to transfer and if anyone has failed to live up to expectations - it's White. There's been rumblings of that happening so all I'm saying is that I'd be fine with "trading"White for Graham. I don't know much about Graham, but it's no loss if it happens