Wednesday, April 9, 2014

KU freshman Joel Embiid headed to NBA Draft

Kansas head coach Bill Self slaps hands with center Joel Embiid as he leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 86-64 win over Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Joel Embiid declares for NBA Draft

Kansas University freshman center Joel Embiid, with KU coach Bill Self by his side, announces he will enter the 2014 NBA Draft.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self: Joel Embiid a 'guaranteed' top-five pick in NBA Draft

After Kansas University freshman center Joel Embiid announced he was entering the NBA Draft, KU coach Bill Self said it was a difficult decision for the 7-footer because he "loves it here," but Embiid made the right choice as he is "guaranteed" to be one of the top five picks.

Download podcast

Kansas University freshman center Joel Embiid has put himself in position to make a prophet out of KU coach Bill Self by tossing his name into the ring for the 2014 NBA Draft.

Embiid, a 7-footer from Cameroon who averaged 11.2 points and 8.1 rebounds for KU in 28 games during the 2013-14 season, announced his intention to turn pro at the Allen Fieldhouse media room this afternoon with several coaches and teammates in attendance.

"After thinking a lot, I've decided to declare for the NBA Draft," Embiid said on Wednesday. "...I really love this place. The fans are crazy. It means a lot and they showed me nothing but love. I will miss this place."

Midway through the season, Self revealed that he told Embiid when he stepped on campus that he would have the chance to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft when he left Lawrence.

Here's the full quote from Self from a couple months ago:

“I told Joel, as soon as he stepped foot on campus, 'You're gonna be the No. 1 pick. Now, it may not be this year, but you will be the No. 1 pick if you come out and the time is right.' I'm not saying he will be this year, but, if he times it right, then he could be the No. 1 pick in the draft. I don't think it should come as a surprise to him because he's been told all along that he was capable of doing this.”

Whether that turns out to be the case or not remains to be seen. Embiid, like all players who enter the draft, will spend the next couple of months going through workouts for NBA teams and positioning themselves to be picked as high as possible. Because skilled big men are such a rare commodity these days, many believe that Embiid has a great chance of becoming this year's top pick.

"I think it's gonna be hard for him," Self said. "I think he's in for a fight. But I think it's gonna be a fun fight."

A lingering back injury and the presence of some other highly regarded future pros — including KU freshman Andrew Wiggins — cloud things a little, but it seems all but certain that Embiid will be taken with one of the top few selections in the June 26 draft in New York City.

Embiid said his back injury did not factor into his decision to turn pro and added that he was close to 100 percent and had been back on the court during recent weeks.

As for the possibility of having Embiid and Wiggins taken with the top two picks, Self did not hide his thoughts on that topic.

"Sure we're pulling for that," he said.

As was the case when Wiggins made his announcement last week, Self said this was a good day for the KU program.

"It's not easy to lose guys of the caliber of (Embiid and Wiggins)," Self said. "... But you certainly wish them the best when opportunity knocks."

Embiid missed the NCAA Tournament — along with KU's two Big 12 tournament games and final two regular season games — because of a stress fracture in his back, but speculation about his future at Kansas started well before then, as he quickly blossomed from highly touted prospect with star potential into one of the most valuable players in the Big 12 Conference.

He earned Big 12 defensive player of the year honors and his vast offensive game, athleticism and smooth skill set landed him at or near the top of several mock NBA draft boards throughout the season.

Comments

Brandon Mahon 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wonder if there is any chance that he undeclared like Rush did his sophomore year... Highly unlikely but isn't that an option?

Andy Hess 6 months, 3 weeks ago

He's got until April 15 to drop out, unless he hires an agent, so as of now it is possible.

Brandon Mahon 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I know this is HIGHLY unlikely but couldn't Embiid undeclared like Rush did after his injury is sophomore year?

Bryce Landon 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Very disappointed. But maybe it's for the best. We'll have the players around who actually want to be here instead of those who have to be here because of the NBA's under-19 rule. So maybe we can actually get some chemistry going and learn to play defense.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid really wanted to be here and did well. To think that he would turn away instant wealth for another year at good ol' KU isn't realistic. The first time I saw him block Julius Randle's attempted dunk in the US versus the World game in May or June of last year, I came out of my chair. Randle was not only blocked but headed out of bounds on a monster-clean block. I wondered right then and there how he could be in school for more than one year. Not really sad, because, it's basketball. Good luck to Joel!

Len Shaffer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I get your point, Bryce, but it's kind of ironic that you refer to learning to play defense, given that Embiid was the Big XII defensive player of the year.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Embiid wanted to be here. It just isn't realistic to think that he would turn down millions for another year anywhere, even at dear old KU.

When I saw him stuff Julius Randle's dunk in the first few minutes of the US versus the world all-star game last June, I came out of my chair. Randle and the ball flew out of bounds. What a monster block. The commentators shouted at the top of their lungs. At that moment, I wondered how long Embiid could afford to stay in school. Now we know.

Len Shaffer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I get your point, Bryce, but it's ironic that you refer to learning to play defensive, given that Embiid was the defensive player of the year in the Big XII.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Nice kid, happy for him ... great player.

But OADs are simply and unequivocally a waste of time in Bill Self's system.

And Brandon, he can "undeclare", but has to do so by April 15.

Jacob Pool 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Brandon Mahon he can only decide to come back if he doesn't hire an agent. So he will not be coming back.

Jack Wilson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Good point .. I missed the agent thing.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Until the day I die, memories the ‘13-’14 team/season will produce a different kind of melancholy than the typical despondency suffered at the end of the season, except ’88, ’08 and ’12. With all the other teams, even the heartbreakers like ’87, ‘98, ’03, …. ’11, we all knew the team really well. With this team, I hardly knew it. The whole season was a struggle as they learned to play with splashes that showed truly great potential. Right when it looked as if we were clicking on all cylinders (AFH UT , and WVa games, TTU Lubbock…) they fizzled out right when it mattered most.

In the end, I’ll recall this year as the team that produced the top 2 NBA draft picks and about 6 eventual NBA players. The melancholy will set in when thinking of the relatively dismal results; failure to play D, softness at the rim, poor leadership, a 24-10 record, and most devastating …. a round of 32 loss. I’m very thankful the won the Big 12 but for a team with so much potential, they didn’t produce much, relative to Kansas standards.

We all love you Joel...you will be a great player. Good luck, you will need a lot of it the next couple of years.

Kent Kossoy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I whole heartedly agree. I am actually happy that this season is finally over. More disappointedly so, then melancholy. I have no personal ill will to these one and done'rs, but I do believe in this fashion that it is destroying the landscape of college basketball.

Robert Brown 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I couldn't have summarized this season any better.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Suzi does this mean you are taking the red pill now?

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

No pills, still really proud of the Hawks just very down on the performance of this year's team relative to the standards set by prior teams.

Kent Kossoy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I think they should do like baseball. Either recruit out of high school or can't be touched for 3 years. Baseball has a farm system. College is the NBA's farm system. I think it has destroyed college basketball. The tourney showed. A 7 plays an 8 and that is the best of college basketball. Unless changes are made, this sport will continue to decline. I prefer players that want to play. Not those who abide their time for the 19 yo rule. Just sayin'.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If I was an NBA GM [although, since I have half a brain, I am already over-qualified] do I take a dynamic wing [Wiggins], a brute power forward [Randle], a polished point guard [Parker if he declares] or a 7'-0"+, 19 year old center who has moves and shots like a small forward, blocks shots like a mini-Hakeem and runs like a deer?

Without stepping on a court, he is already better than half the big NBA 7'-0" centers playing right now. While is experience ratio is low, his upside is through the stratosphere... YEP, I'll draft an unknown guard from Lithuania because I think I'm the smartest guy in the room.

I-D-I-O-T...that's how you spell the GM's name who has the first pick and DOESN"T pick Jo Jo!!

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The NBA is a guard league, according to the experts.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Tournament showed something else - guards who will never play in the NBA can control a game if given 4 years of experience. And wasn't DeAndre Daniels supposed to be at KU or Texas until UCONN appeared out of nowhere?

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If any NBA GM drafts Jabari Parker thinking that he's a PG then you're point is quite validated.

He played a lot of stretch 4 for Duke, but he translates as a small forward/wing in the NBA.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

what happened to my reply that I made earlier?

Jabari Parker is not a PG he's same position as Wiggins, though he played a lot of stretch 4 at Duke.

Jason Njoroge 6 months, 3 weeks ago

As long as he doesn't sign with an agent, he has till a certain date (don't know what day) to back out.

Jeff Kilgore 6 months, 3 weeks ago

No fan likes the mercenary quality of the college game that the NBA has caused, but it's what we have. Good luck, to Joel.

John Harrington 6 months, 3 weeks ago

So do you think we have a better than 50-50 chance of landing Myles??

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, the chances got a little better than about an hour ago is what I feel, anyway.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, I feel the chances got a little better than they were an hour and a half ago anyway.

William Weissbeck 6 months, 3 weeks ago

All the more reason that the Stanford game needed to be played with some urgency. I'm still stuck on the Michigan game last year. Chances don't come all that often.

Robert Brown 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Definitely agree about Michigan last year. I had lowered expectations this year.

Jack Jones 6 months, 3 weeks ago

While I recognize that it is (one of) the genetic-based curses of being a sports fan. being "stuck" on last season or seasons before that, has absolutely zero positive benefit. Exact same psychological impact as "Living in the past". Over, done, finis!!

Jim Jackson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

For those of you who think that Joel would have missed out on millions if he were to suffer a career threatening injury; below is an example of the insurance Marqise Lee got. He was eligible for 10 million.

Hank Cross 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish JoJo all the best in the NBA. He was one of my favorites this year. But, to be honest knowing that he and Wiggins were going to go decreased my investment in the team (maybe that's a good thing). I forgot about the Stanford game the minute the horn went off and doubt I'll recall anything about this year. Part of the fun of the past years has been watching players TRob develop on and off the court or cheering as Releford got his chance. If they would've won the NC or gone to FF, it would've been great. But a second-round K.O. is a meh.

Mike Riches 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Some thoughts on OAD…

I spent some time at the Coaches’ Meetings last week in Dallas, which are held a couple days before the Final Four. I had a chance to listen to several coaches visit both inside and outside of the formal meetings, and obviously the topic of “One And Done” players came up frequently. I think almost everyone in and around college basketball would agree that the current system isn’t the best for the college game, but most will also attest that the ball is totally in the NBA’s court. (That was a really bad pun…sorry.)

If the NBA decided to increase the age limit another year, essentially creating a TAD system, most would agree it would be better for college basketball. Top tier teams would be more cohesive, top talent would be more spread out (if Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are still at Kentucky in 2012, maybe Nerlins Noel and Alex Poythress end up somewhere else…), and we would get the chance to see more college superstars thrive in the college game (can you imagine KU next year with Wiggins and Embiid back??) Perhaps some players would feel more invested in their college teams, and make more of a concerted effort to succeed at the college level. Players would definitely end up with another year of schooling under their belt, putting them that much closer to a degree, should they ever decide to pursue that. The “college experience” would be so much more than a faint memory for these players, many of whom enjoy that experience so much, they wish in the end it could have been longer. Another year would almost certainly help the college game.

But again, college basketball isn’t making this decision, it’s the NBA. So would increasing the age limit be good for the league? My answer is YES!

This change would give teams who are investing millions of dollars in “potential” an extra year of analysis. Scouting is far from a perfect practice (hence the dozens of first round draftees, on whom millions have been spent, that “just didn’t work out”) so any additional light that can be shed on the scouting process should be welcomed. NBA Scouts and Executives are evaluating OAD players based on very little actual game competition. 35 or so games, usually only 5-6 of which are against top-tier competition, isn’t a lot to look at. Doubling that sample size certainly couldn’t hurt. Not only could they see twice as many games, but NBA teams could also evaluate the improvement a player makes between his freshman and sophomore year, giving them an idea (in some but not all cases) of what kind of improvement they could expect over the first couple years playing professionally. And not only could teams have a greater opportunity to examine players’ on-court performance, but another year could reveal so much more about players intangible qualities as well (character, work ethic, mental toughness, etc.).

Mike Riches 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Some thoughts on OAD (cont.)…

With the exception of the year this new policy would be instituted, the same amount of talent would be available in the NBA Draft each year. However the “talent” would be more developed, stronger, more seasoned and more mature. And in a league that thrives on superstars, doesn’t it make more sense to draft star players that are better prepared to make a greater impact their rookie season?

The argument can be (and has been) made that playing an extra year at the collegiate level increases the risk of injury to a player. But doesn’t that same player face just as much, if not more risk, participating in an 82 game season against much bigger, top talent every game? And are there not behavioral risks associated with giving millions of dollars to immature “kids”? (Ok, so maybe another year in school doesn’t make someone THAT much more mature, but it doesn’t hurt either!)

It just seems to me that increasing the age limit would produce so many advantages for the NBA, not to mention for college basketball. For those concerned about the risk to players, keep in mind they don’t have to play college sports. They can play professionally in Europe, or just sit out a year if they don’t want to risk injury or their draft stock etc. But I would think that most elite players wouldn’t mind the increased exposure, the additional free education, the free room and board, not to mention the prolonged “being-treated-like-a-king-on-campus” college experience that would come with playing an extra year in college.

Until the rule is changed, I am not one who finds fault with coaches like Bill Self recruiting the best talent available. Having Wiggins and Embiid (who was not considered a OAD when he was recruited) this year clinched a 10th straight league title, ensured a 25th consecutive tournament appearance, and although having what could very well be the first two picks in the NBA draft and losing in the round of 32 makes it FEEL like this team underachieved, it certainly didn’t hurt their title chances. If anything I think Self has done a masterful job replacing talent with talent throughout his career, and I think he’s doing a good job mixing OAD players with three/four year players. It’s an impossible science to perfect, but again, I can’t fault Self, I fault the system. Hopefully the NBA’s new commissioner, Adam Silver, will push to get this done (as he has suggested he would like to see). It would truly be to everyone’s benefit.

Michael Sillman 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree with the urgency comments above. I know that this will get me in trouble but I think Self needs to show more urgency in the tourney. When Wiggins seemed out of it, bring in Greene. He only played two minutes. Bring Lucas in for Traylor to get more length. Go to the press earlier. Self tends to stand pat unless he gets way behind.

Good luck to Embiid. It was special watching him develop. Perhaps the medical team should have shown more urgency at getting to the root cause.

David Kemp 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I have to agree with Suzi. This team had no identity. No Releford, withey Robinson Young Rush, Khan. Just a bunch of names on a jersey. Next year new names new jerseys.

Dale Stringer 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There was no presence for this years team. I mean a player that made the other guy think, "Oh no, they're sending him in." They were all too nice.

Releford and Rush had the stare. The stare that made you feel they were measuring your soul and found it lacking. Young had the ability to make that slaw-yo-face-in-the-floor foul look like an accident. Withey, Robison and Khan could give you that psyco look that made you feel like you just call them a punk after they just beat up King Kong.

It looks to me that Oubre and Alexander have that intimidation factor we need. Well, I hope so.

Jay Hawktx 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Injuries are a scary thing thing. Jacques Vaughn was a junior and was predicted to be a lotery draft pick but stayed his senior year. He injured his wrist in a pickup game (if I remember correctly). He was not the same his senior campaign and his draft stock dropped While he still had a good NBA career, that decision to stay probably costed him $$$$ - in the 7 digit range. Bottom line: take the money when you can.

Congrats Joel! you deserve your shot at the big dream.

Brian Mellor 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree with the comments about having trouble recognizing this team's identity, but I guess that I just expected this. The whole year from the start felt too similar to 2006, or 2009 (with the problem that we didn't have a Sherron Collins, clearly).

But I think it's important to note, now that we've lost one (1) senior and two (2) Freshman OADs, that there is a core team that's NOT leaving that we can watch develop, and we'll be able to enjoy that team developing. Don't forget that we lost a bunch of our seniors last year, which is why we had such a new, young team. Without the two OADs and the 1-year transfer, we'd have had a lot less success than even the moderately down year that we had.

Next year we've got Ellis, and Selden back, and Mason and Frankamp and Greene and Traylor, all with a year under their belts and maybe the chance for a little more playing time. We've still got Tharpe, of course, who might (against what we've seen so far) get backed up against a wall and get his head set on straight. Maybe not, but that might give the others more room to develop as well. There's a couple 3-4 year pieces on our time that didn't get the headlines of the others, but were the first year of a possible core team, next year or the year after that, that could be an experienced, cohesive group capable of achieving in the same way that Self's best teams have achieved, by playing together for more than 6 months.

Phil Leister 6 months, 3 weeks ago

This is the world we live in. The NBA says you gotta be a year removed from college. So what should Bill do, NOT recruit the best high school players? Establish a policy of only recruiting guys outside the top 25? The OAD rule is dumb, but it's the fact. Bill's gotta go after the best players. And the best players are probably going to be good enough to play in the NBA after one season of college ball. Are they good enough to dominate every night? No way. But they're good enough to play league.

Besides, Embiid wasn't a top 150 player a year and a half ago. He developed really quickly. All you people saying you're disappointed, or you'll look back on this season with melancholy... This is the nature of the game right now. It may suck, but you can't blame a guy for getting to the top of his profession as a 19 year old. Isn't that what we're all trying to do? Get to the top of our profession? I know I am. You should be too. Andrew and Joel were able to do so at 19. That's awesome for them.

Robert Brown 6 months, 3 weeks ago

No one is blaming any player for going after a big paycheck. Most are saying that these players were not hear long enough to get to know and as a result the team lacked chemistry, cohesiveness, and an identity

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

No they are not. Just because they get drafted, doesn't mean they can "play" in the NBA. It's all about the money!!

Kevin Heath 6 months, 3 weeks ago

See the link below. This indicates early entry players must declare their intent to enter the draft by April 27.it also says they can withdraw until June 16. I would say he is gone, but provided he doesn't hire a agent he has quite a it of time to withdraw.

Kevin Jenkins 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We All really knew this was coming. And I still feel he was pressured or encouraged from people who run the industry. They should go with the baseball system and take them out of high school or wait 3 years. Our team would play better I think. I believe they would try harder and feel better about teams chemistry. Sometimes I feel that OAD's are just here to show cast their talent if only one year. Yes ofcourse you should take the best talent like Self has. But then again what's better for the team.

Phil Leister 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If Bill misses out on a top-10 recruit, we all cry that Bill can't recruit. If Bill lands a top-10 recruit, we all cry because that kid goes to the league after wearing Kansas on his chest for a year. It can't go both ways. If you don't like having elite freshman who declare for the draft, then you should be celebrating every time a 5 star player commits to somewhere other than KU.

Armen Kurdian 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Until this year, that was an accurate statement. Now that I see that OADs aren't necessarily the best thing for a program, I'd rather take several top 100 picks who will stay w/the program for four years instead of the top pick who comes and leaves after one. I think the payoff is much better.

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Amen, amen, amen!! I love that we had Joel for one year. I wish we had him for more, but I wish him nothing but greatness and I am thankful for the short time he was at KU.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Kevin Heath, you're referencing the NBA's rule on withdrawing from the draft.

Jack Wilson is right about the NCAA rule which requires student athletes to withdraw their names from the NBA draft by the day before the spring signing period. This means that thay have to withdraw by the end of business on April 15 or else they lose their eligibility.

This rule was implemented in 2011 as documented on the linked page, to afford coaches the ability to know whether they need to try to sign a recruit in the spring signing period or not.

When Brandon Rush came back the players did have until the NBA deadline to withdraw from the draft. Soon after that the NCAA imposed a deadline to withdraw in early May. Then in 2010 they approved the deadline to withdraw from the draft to be the day before the spring signing period (which is before the NBA dealine to apply for the draft).

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 3 weeks ago

my understanding from reading the article that I linked to, is that just because Embiid and Wiggins have declared publically that they intend to apply for the draft doesn't mean that they have to declare publically that they intend to withdraw from the draft by April 15.

It would seem that they are not on the hook until they have submitted a formal request to apply for the NBA draft, which has to be received by the NBA by April 27.

So technically, I would think that if something were to happen (i.e. injury, etc.) after April 15 that would cause them to change their minds, then as long as they haven't formally applied for the draft then they can remain eligible with the NCAA.

I would guess that most players will wait until April 25 or 26 to submit their formal draft applications to the NBA.

Brian Conrad 6 months, 3 weeks ago

kind of makes me puke .. no one will say real feelings... do we wish Joel millions ,, yep .. does he have kind of the Selby feel to him .. much better player .. but seemed he was much more concerned about himself than his team. I have zero problem with one and dones.. BUT PLAY .. do not shy away from contact .. Wigs sometimes.. do not sit on sideline with some pain and watch your team get beat , then act as if you care more than for the big paycheck. real life many fans that make sure these guys make zillions go to work with way worse pain everyday.. if you commit suck it up.. get an insurance policy , PLAY ! if doctors had told him he could make it worse... then sit .. but to not play because of some pain.. and to say He will play in NCAA .. shut up .. I would have played in sweet 16 ... shut up... you did not play.. NBA decision did not bother me .. not playing did. Many Many that have come before played with pain and went on to long careers.. Okafor* best of luck Jo .. yes best decision .. but do not act as if you did KU any big favors... your team LOST more games than any KU team in a Decade.. in the end Jo Jo started about the same amount of games as Selby ... and please just say this is MY decision.. not some mentor .. or Doctor ... in the end love players that play hard and tough ! .. MANNING , Black , Kevin Young , Releford , Collins , Sasha , Rush , Chalmers , Russell , Withey , Simien , Nick , Kirk , Raef , Jo JO White , Valentine.. some tough all KU at heart guys !!! Joel may end up being one of the best... but his name will not roll off my lips like those that paved the way for one of the best experiences he had or will have in life..

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Totally Agree! Don't forget Richard Scott, Rex Walters, Adonis Jordan.... Embiid could be the best pro since Wilt and it won't mean a hill of beans to me!!

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish you well Joel. Thanks for the 28 games, for being an outstanding young man with a great sense of humor.

Recruiting is such a wild job. I do not envy coaches who have to side step the NCAA minefields, and try to craft a team in today's world. Trying to get very young men who have who knows how many people pulling on them to join your program so you can have the right mix of players on your team. Talk about a moving target!

I wish Coach and his assistants well as they try to reel in Turner and find a PG transfer who can run what should be an outstanding team next year.

Thanks Andrew and Joel.

Brett McCabe 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Imagine if he had manned up and played against Stanford? He'd be legendary as a Jayhawk and would have sealed himself as the Pick 1. (Please spare me the doctor's note comments....if he wanted to play, he could have played).

I like the kid, he played well, but one year is one year. It's not a career and it's not a commitment to KU. Just a blip on the radar screen. Joel, chose the money. But that does not mean he has earned an honored place in KU basketball history. He did what he thought was best for him and that is his job. I sincerely hope that making more money will make him happier but I have an aching feeling that it won't.

I wish him nothing but the best but no matter how much success he has in the League, I'll root for Tyshawn or Thomas or Travis far more than I'll root for Joel. That's what he's earned - so far. Good luck big guy.

Aaron Carpenter 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I have read a lot of these type of comments and am not directing this strictly to you but people are being a bunch of children about this. He appears to love KU, love the campus life and appreciate his commitment. Could you really turn down 10 million doing what you do and say goodbye a few friends? The answer is yes, yes you could. Any other answer and you are lying to yourself or already have millions upon millions of dollars. He loves basketball and has a chance to play at the highest level in the world and secure his financial future. Be real folks and be happy for him. He is a great young man and anything other than support for him is quite immature.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It seems we share several common views. We all probably have a good idea of the exact nature of Embiid's stress fracture. I'll always be disappointed he didn't play in the NCAAs especially vs. Stanford. Nevertheless, we still had plenty and should have easily taken care of business.

Craig Carr 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Not really, very soft and NO shooters! When Black fouled out it was a mismatch

Matthew Pyle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well said. I hardly consider these guy's Jayhawks. It's not likely that they'll be invited back anytime soon to celebrate their league title and second round tournament loss.......

Jeff Lisco 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Agree with Bryce, good luck to Jo-Jo but I'd rather have a kid for 3 or 4 years that doesn't have all the hype coming in. You could tell that UCONN was going to win it all again after watching Boatright and Napier in the first 3 tourney games. There were too many games this year where our youth showed in clutch situations. The OADs are good for program notoriety and make the boosters smile, but you need at least 2 years together to play defense as a team.

Hank Cross 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The real villains are the idiotic NBA GMs who wet their pants out of fear of missing out on the next Kobe, Garnett, or LeBron. They're the ones who started the speculation frenzy by drafting high schoolers on strictly "potential." The OAD rule is there to save themselves from their stupidity. Better to let players go right out of HS. The ones that know they need some work will come to college and go when they're ready, and not because they've labeled as a OAD. (I wonder if being tagged as a OAD becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy in some way.)

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

What's up with the new formatting of putting the most recent comments on top, but the comment box is still at the bottom?

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Really, I've been trying to figure it out. I can only see the initial comments and can not see the replies.

Craig Carr 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Why is anyone spending a second on speculating whether Wiggins or Embiid will change their mind? There is 0% chance of that happening and best for all involved. Seem like good kids, both show flashes of potential greatness and wish them the best of luck. There are plenty of very good players on the bench that will be wearing KU jerseys for many years and are fully capable of carrying on the winning tradition. Just my opinion but would rather have Turner go elsewhere, Traylor, Lucas and Mickelson have earned the opportunity to play.

Sam Constance 6 months, 3 weeks ago

To add to Aaron Paisley's comment, replies aren't showing up either.

Not sure if that's related to the formatting of showing most recent comments first, but if not it's an odd coincidence.