Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lamaria Cole leaving KU women’s basketball program

Kansas sophomore guard Lamaria Cole (1) falls as she is undercut by Yale's Sarah Halejian as they scramble for a loose ball along with Hayden Latham, right, during their game, Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University women's basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson announced Thursday that sophomore guard Lamaria Cole has been released to transfer to another school.

"We support Lamaria's decision to transfer to a school in her home state of Texas and be able to be closer to her family," said Henrickson. "We wish her well in her future endeavors both on-and-off the court."

In 2014, Cole started five games and appeared in 24 averaging 10.4 minutes per game. During her sophomore campaign, Cole amassed 63 points, 28 assists and 26 rebounds. She shot 38.7 percent from the field and 54.2 percent from the free throw line.

In her career at Kansas, Cole appeared in 35 contests and started five. She averaged 9.2 minutes per game, while shooting 42.3 percent from the field. In her two years at KU, she averaged 2.5 points, 0.82 assists and 1.0 rebounds per game.

Cole will continue her collegiate career at Prairie View A&M.

Comments

Tony Bandle 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Not the person I was hoping to be released to transfer to another school!!

Mick Allen 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Considering the current status of our program, I consider Cole's transfer to Prairie View A&M to be a lateral move for her.

Daniel Kennamore 7 months, 4 weeks ago

We we to back-to-back sweet sixteen's just last year. You're nuts.

Ashwin Rao 7 months, 4 weeks ago

We are in a "What have you done for me lately" world. BTW: Was the Sweet 16 in NIT?

Erich Hartmann 7 months, 4 weeks ago

If you think the 2 Sweet16 appearances were NIT, that's clueless. If you are being sarcastic, one would ask "why?", because your being sarcastic with the Women's program is just pointless. Wanna be sarcastic? Then do so with the Men's early exit, but realize also all the flaws that young, inexperienced squad has. But if you realized such analytical reasons, it would end your sarcasm.

You ever play this game? Or just watch, expecting KU to win every game by double digits all the time?

Aaron Paisley 7 months, 4 weeks ago

2 NCAA tournament appearances in 10 years is what KU has to show for the Bonnie Henrickson era so far. Is making the NCAA tournament 20% of the time good enough? KU also has yet to finish in the top half of the Big 12 under Bonnie, is that good enough?

KU is not UConn and winning every game by double digits is not a realistic expectation, but finishing in the top half of the league at some point and making the NCAA tournament more than 20% of the time are realistic goals and Bonnie has failed to do either of those. There is no logical reason why KU shouldn't finish in the top half of the Big 12 about 50% of the time and no reason why KU shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament 75% of the time.

Mick Allen 7 months, 3 weeks ago

According to the other posts here most don't think I'm nuts. Are you related to HCBH?

Layne Pierce 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Sadly Aaron

I have to agree. I think the argument could be made that we are one of the worst basketball programs in the conference. What you ask for is just slightly better than mediocre.

Perhaps the Prairie View Coach would be interested in the KU job. Good pay, low expectations.

Jay Beakum 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I am ready for a fresh start for the women’s program. I appreciate the sweet sixteens, but honestly they where delivered by an Angel. That Angel is gone now.

You can’t do much worse than what Bonnie’s done over her career at KU. She has never compiled a .500 conference season and is usually in the bottom 2 or 3.

I’m not hating on Bonnie, but somebody else deserves a shot. AFH shouldn’t be empty for ANY basketball games.

Waylon Cook 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Are there really people defending Bonnie? Her contract was up on March 31st is she even getting paid by KU? Why has Zenger not pulled the trigger?

I cannot believe people believe in such mediocrity for the Jayhawks! Yes she did make 2 Sweet Sixteens but understand that the stars had aligned. She had a dynamic point guard in Angel a girl who could have went to UConn, Tenn any of the elites but chose us to stay close to home. One of the best high school players EVER in state of Oklahoma. She was the spark plug and knew how to win. Then take into the fact Bonnie got a GREAT draw two years in a row. Even though we were last team in 2013 and very close to last in 2012. We then drew Nebraska and Colorado two not so long ago conference foes. In 2012 we got Delaware in the 2nd round and while Della Donne was OUTSTANDING the team was not great around her. In 2013 Dawn Staley(she is like some coaches wins lots of games in regular season and the postseason isn't the best always) She has won 4 games in 10 plus years at KU in the NCAA's(yes I realize that the NIT is technically the postseason but there is no reason Kansas Basketball can't get in the NCAAs yearly).

She has had plenty of time its time to stop blaming Marian.

It amazes me that ANYONE can defend her. Bonne is best suited for a government job. Makes a boat load of money and no results. GET RID OF HER!

Austin Lopez 7 months, 3 weeks ago

My comment probably is irrelevant because I don't follow Kansas woman's team but I was excited last night when I was looking at the ESPN 100 for the woman's and saw that Kansas got 2 ESPN 100 players and both Point Guards so it really has me excited for the future guess I'll have to start following our woman team