Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Manning mulling options

— Former Kansas University basketball All-American Danny Manning, currently the head coach at Tulsa, met with Tulsa’s president and athletic director Tuesday afternoon amid reports he is a leading candidate to fill the Wake Forest head coaching vacancy.

“They are very much interested,” Manning told the Tulsa World, referring to Wake officials. He said he had a productive meeting with UT officials.

The World asked Manning when he is expected to make a decision on whether to leave Tulsa after two years.

“When I’m ready,” he said. “I’ll sit down. Turn my phone off. Turn off my email. Visit with my wife and family, and go from there.”

The World reported that TU is prepared to make Manning the first coach in program history to make as much as $1 million annually.

Manning has three seasons remaining on a five-year TU contract signed in 2012.

Also, it has been reported by ESPN that former KU assistant Joe Dooley may be a candidate for the opening at Boston College. He’s completed one year at Florida Gulf Coast.

Comments

Kit Duncan 5 months ago

Unless Texas or Tennessee have openings, UT is not talking with Danny. Yes, like KU it "is" the University of Tulsa, and I find it ironic that you don't refer to the school as "Tulsa University" in the article. The same respect could be shown KU, example: Kansas head coach Bill Self, when asked... or, Kansas teammates got together and... instead of, Kansas University head coach Charlie Weis... etc.

Kevin Studer 5 months ago

Thank goodness you were here! Otherwise, the 111,235,456th complaint post that won't make a bit of difference about this issue would never have been. I sure feel better!

Dale Rogers 5 months ago

So we should be referred to as "UK?" Please, no.

Mark Lindrud 5 months ago

What on earth does that have to do with his decision to go to Wake Forest? No matter what we do someone will call us Kansas University and sure it is frustrating, but I have bigger axes to grind than that. Kit, I hope you make the 1 man march up to Washington and fight for the rights of colleges being called their proper names. Make sure you instagram it.

Tony Bandle 5 months ago

The first thing that struck me when reading this article was Danny's use of the word "they"....using the proper noun, Wake Forest, would have been much more appropriate.

Even more disturbing was the conflict created by the use of the first "UT" followed later by the use of "TU". These grevious errors in journalistic communication pretty much blinded me to the intent of the article.

The last sentence about Coach Joe was perfect, however...everybody's names are spelled out!!!

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

Cliff Notes:

Danny Manning is a expected to take a raise from Tulsa University after reports surfaced that he is a top candidate for the Head Basketball Coach position at Wake Forest University. Manning just completed the second year of a 5 year contract at Tulsa. A raise would likely make Danny the first coach in Tulsa history to earn a salary of $1 million a year or higher.

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

Danny Manning was directly quoted referring to WFU officials as "they". Perhaps he also referred to Tulsa as UT which is why the report states that he had said that he had a productive meeting with UT officials.

Though if that phrase was not a direct quote from Danny then the staff reporters could have used TU without altering the meaning from the direct quote.

Tony Bandle 5 months ago

April Fool's Day was yesterday, wasn't it???

My apologies for not hitting the Sarcasm Font regarding this silly line of postings especially including mine. :)......but, yes JA, you are correct in your comment regarding the TU/UT usage.

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

I thought that it was very unlike you to complain about style in an article. I considered that maybe you were joking... Guess I should have just gone with it!

Joseph Bullock 5 months ago

when did basketball become about grammer? Ooooooppssss, I meant, grammar! ha ha ha ha get serious, people. what difference does it really make? NONE AT ALL!

Andrew Dunlap 5 months ago

this is fun! yes our nickname is KU, but our proper name is The University of Kansas, sort of like The Ohio State University, but its ok to refer to Texas as TU!!! LOL!

Robert Brown 5 months ago

Back to the article, I don't think it would be wise for Manning to take the Wake Forest job. He has only been at Tulsa for two years and appears to be building something. Tulsa steps up to a new, more competitive conference next year, so he will get more visibility.

I imagine that Wake Forest would be a tough job. They have had pockets of success in the past, but will always be mid tier in the new ACC behind UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville. Ask Mark Turgeon how difficult it is to coach at a school with better tradition than Wake Forest. Another year out of the tournament and he becomes a coach on the hot seat.

If I were Manning and had aspirations for a bigger program, I would build my resume (and take my $1M/yr salary) at Tulsa.