Sunday, September 29, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Kansas football primed to upset Red Raiders

Perhaps waiting to learn more information on the chances of red-shirt sophomore quarterback Michael Brewer having a healthy-enough back to make his season debut for Texas Tech, oddsmakers had not set a line on this coming Saturday morning’s game in Memorial Stadium as of Sunday night.

Once the line is released, it will show Texas Tech as the favorite against a Kansas University football team that has lost its last 21 Big 12 contests.

Before getting into why I think the streak ends and the upset takes place, let’s look at why it makes sense to position Texas Tech as the favorite.

First, when Kansas has the ball, Tech has a distinct advantage up front. The offensive line ranks among KU’s biggest weaknesses; Tech’s defensive line ranks among its greatest strengths. Kerry Hyder, the 6-foot-2, 280-pound senior from Austin, Texas, has a habit of exploding into opposing backfields and making things happen. He throws running backs and quarterbacks for losses, bats passes and generally makes his disruptive presence felt as well as just about any player in the Big 12. Forgive him if he starts salivating when watching film of KU’s inexperienced blockers. Ditto for talented senior linebacker Will Smith.

Shifting to when the Red Raiders (4-0) have the ball, the worrisome issue for KU becomes how to stop three pass-catching threats the likes of which the Jayhawks have not seen this season in games or practice.

Senior Eric Ward caught 12 passes for 180 yards vs. KU in Lubbock in 2012 and caught two touchdown passes in Lawrence two years ago.

Ward hasn’t even been Tech’s most productive wideout this season. Red Raiders junior Bradley Marquez spent his summer hitting and catching fly balls for the Kingsport Mets of the rookie Appalachian League.

Marquez has a TD reception in each of Tech’s four games and averages 15.8 yards a catch. And Texas Tech doesn’t even have to burn a scholarship on him because the Mets pay his college tuition.

A third-down monster, junior tight end Jace Amaro, 6-5, 260, leads the Red Raiders with 29 catches and 367 receiving yards. How can KU stop a target that big? A rib injury sidelined Amaro for six games, including against Kansas, last season.

Nearly a foot shorter, 5-6, 160-pound Jakeem Grant has big-play threat written all over him.

So with so much to worry about on both sides of the line of scrimmage and the Red Raiders carrying a No. 20 national ranking into the game, why pick an upset?

Two factors: Emotion is on KU’s side, and shaky quarterback play threatens to undermine a Tech team that has its fan base so stoked, talk of a 7-0 start runs rampant in Lubbock. (The Tech schedule has Iowa State at home and West Virginia on the road for the next two games).

A homecoming crowd supplies a bit of the emotional edge, but even more than that, KU’s players tasted breaking a long streak (22 losses in a row to FBS opponents) in their last game and aim to end the 21-game Big 12 losing streak.

In 2010, Colorado blew a 45-17 fourth-quarter lead, and Turner Gill’s Jayhawks won the game, 52-45. Dan Hawkins appeared to put a greater priority on padding his son Cody’s passing statistics with the school-yardage record in mind than on winning the game. Had Hawkins protected the lead by eating clock with a running strategy in the fourth quarter and held on to win, the KU Big 12 losing streak would stand at 33 games right now, instead of 21. As it stands, KU is 1-32 in its last 33 Big 12 games. The players are sick of reading numbers like that, and this is the week to do something about it.

So far, the Kansas defense, as is the case with Texas Tech’s, has exceeded expectations.

Tech has used two quarterbacks, both true freshmen. They have combined for eight interceptions. Thus far, the Red Raiders’ lone road game, against SMU, featured support nearly as loud for Tech as for the Mustangs. That won’t be the case Saturday in Memorial Stadium. Walk-on Baker Mayfield and four-star, hot-shot recruit Davis Webb have split time in Brewer’s absence. If Brewer can’t go, the smart guess has Webb starting. If he starts throwing the ball all over the place, Kansas is doing a better job of rushing the QB this season and has the cornerbacks to make Webb pay in Dexter McDonald and JaCorey Shepherd. Tech’s offensive line is young and shaky.

If Brewer, battling a bad back, is cleared to play, he’ll be running the offense of new head coach Kliff Kingsbury, 34, for the first time. He was efficient as a backup a year ago (34 for 48, 375 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions). If he is cleared to play, the upset chances weaken, but don’t vanish.

Comments

Doug Cramer 11 months, 3 weeks ago

To whom ever the author is...how much do you want to wager that KU upsets Tech ? Please send me an email and I'll sign off on any amount you'd like to bet.

Tech's D-line is gonna absolutely immobilize our offense...and our own D-line will finally get exposed.

The war in the trenches will be won by Tech...and that's why they will beat us by at least 3 TDs.

Our players know we should have lost to La Tech by 14 points...how the hell are we gonna have an emotional advantage over Tech Saturday ?

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"Our players know we should have lost to La Tech by 14" But we DIDN'T and they aren't thinking that at all. I'm glad you aren't coaching or playing for KU because with your mindset we would be 0-3 at this point.....This will be a well fought game! Just watch

Cmill1221 11 months, 3 weeks ago

We took them to overtime last year, do you think as are three touchdowns worse than last year or they are three touchdowns better?

dfybaby21 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Comparing scores means very little in football, but did the author happen to notice that the same La Tech team that flat handed the game over to Kansas went back home and got destroyed by Army? That Kansas-La Tech game very well could have featured two of the bottom five FBS teams. Doesn't mean TTU is going to stroll in here and have a cakewalk, but let's be realistic with it.

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 3 weeks ago

not that it matters much, but La Tech lost to Army on a nuetral field, the Cotton Bowl.

BringBackMark 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I doubt the homecoming crowd will be that big of an advantage. Especially with another 11:00 a.m. kickoff. TT is one of those teams that just know how to beat KU year in and year out. We've had many close games, several of which KU should've won, but just couldn't get the job done. This year actually looks like another blowout win for TT.

Worse yet, West Virginia early on looked like a team KU could stay with until this last Saturday. Why do so many Big 12 teams seem to grow up in the early weeks of the season except KU? Sorry to say but it looks like 2-10 for Big Charlie in year two. Probably give Zenger another raise and extend CW's contract two or three more years!

Anyone else notice the frequency of football articles has declined immensely since Late Night is just around the corner?

Jeffery Barrett 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Give it a rest! Fatman isn't coming back and he lost his last 7 or so games anyway.

BringBackMark 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Its funny to see how hung up you are about my screen name. Too bad your content usually appears to be "rose colored" and you appear to be uninformed most of the time.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The frequency really hasn't declined. When KU is on a bye week, there's naturally fewer stories to write about. Now that KU is off the bye week, there were 2 football stories to 1 basketball story today.

pizzashuttle 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Whoever the TT QB is we've got to shake him up early, lots of blitzes and pressure. Hurry his decisions, harass his psyche. D-backs need to jump routes and hang onto the ball. Occasionally drop Stowers into coverage, he's due for another INT.

Dirk Medema 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm not predicting an upset, but our pass D is top 10 nationally I believe. Their strength plays to our strength - unlike years past. If they stay pass happy, I'd predict more than 1 INT, which could at least keep us in the game.

actorman 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Given who we've played so far, being in the top 10 in pass defense doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm sure that if KU had played nothing but high school teams, we would be number one in pass defense.

If KU is still even REMOTELY close to the top 10 after this game, I'll believe there's something there to get excited about.

It's nice to see some progress from last year, but it's hard to believe there's much of a chance to beat TT.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It most definitely means a lot. After our ugly defense last year top 10 in ANYTHING is big time for KU.....

Andy Tweedy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Do keep in mind that everybody is playing cupcakes this time of year. While your point is valid, it's not like we're comparing our top 10 ranking to a slew of other teams that are playing the Top 5 week in, week out. They're all playing teams like La Tech, USD and Kansas, too!!!

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Whoever wrote this article seems to be trying to pass the time. I mean, we were pretty close to being 3-0 coming into this game, which would put us undefeated with Texas Tech. But lets be realistic, our competition has been nothing compared to what they've faced. And the numbers they've put up on a few of those opponents have been impressive, especially with the OL issues and QB questions they've had. I want to have faith that we break out this game and finally get in the groove we need, but It's going to take BIG changes, and I'm not sure we have enough time to make those changes happen. All I can say is, for us to have a chance three things need to happen. The offensive line needs to show aggressiveness and stop waiting for plays to happen. They're big guys just like any other offensive lineman, they just need to know how to use their hearts. Secondly, our WR's have got to get open. I'm not sure how this is going to be done, or if they just suck at route running, but they need to figure it out as a team. Short passes are great but won't work every time. And finally, Heaps has got to keep is eyes up and focus. I feel like, aside from the first game, he's been very mediocre at best, and I fear he's just playing from the energy around him. He is a team leader and he needs to take the role head on. There is no room for error, there is no room for failure, and there is no room for hesitation. Once Heaps stops thinking, he will start to be effective again. Here's to hoping we at least have a chance. RCJH!

Micky Baker 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Of course, when the freshman QB they have played the same offense in high school... you would understand a little more. However, Texas Tech isn't great. The QBs have had their struggles. Texas Tech is not great.

Steve Jacob 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I think people are get excited for KU because a gift win by a bad team.

actorman 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I think ewe was a English major.

vd 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I ain't seen you since seventh grade. Where you been Mrs. Krabapple, you old b!tch. Still standing in the hallway and correcting people's grammar I see. Never get tired of that do you?

Brad Farha 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You've got me laughing on that one. So very curious as to what was deleted below.

Tricky Gnosis 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I watched a good chunk of the Texas Tech/TCU game. Neither team looked like anything special. Both teams played without much urgency and weren't executing fundamentals on tackling or blocking.

KU could win over TTU, but so many things have to go right.

Take the under and take TTU to cover the spread. .

gdkadjayhawk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Love your spirit Atl, but I think for most fans on here there's just too much battle fatigue that has built up over the past four years.

Andy Tweedy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I think you just summed it up best in one sentence. Too much losing makes it awful hard to be optimistic...

actorman 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Well said, except that I'd call it battle fatigue built up over the great majority of the past 35 years -- at least in my case.

David A. Smith 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I get that. I've been a fan that long. But I have fun with it. Especially with the improvement we've made.

Micky Baker 11 months, 3 weeks ago

So now it's the past 35 years? It was the past 20 years last week.

NebraskaJayhawk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The Jayhawk "faithful" are those that stick with the team despite continuing to produce losing teams year in and year out. The "faithful" are not those that climb on board when we're winning. Nor are the "faithful" those wearing rose-colored glasses. We "faithful", and yes I think you are one of us, are individuals who know what kind of team we have and are realistic of our chances of winning. The comments are a bit negative, but have to say more than likely realistic. I do think we have a shot...but only if we come out and rip some "you know whating" heads off.

Chris Bailey 11 months, 3 weeks ago

This is a very young and very new team that has shown huge improvement every single game. With two weeks to prepare for this game and work out the kinks, I would expect to see even more improvement in this game.

Well we played so/so in the opener against an FCS team and the huge improvement you speak of I just don't see. We can't block thus we can't run, we can't catch the ball thus we can't pass. I'm just not seeing this huge improvement. We got the last game handed to us. Look I want to see us win but lets be realistic we probably have little to no chance to win this weekend.

jhox 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Fat chance of any upset here. We'll be lucky to win another game with the O line we have right now. When Rice and LA Tech dominate your offensive line, what will Big 12 teams do?

(It is very strange no author is listed here. What's up with that?)

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You must pay taxes.

You must die.

You must accept a 2-2 record if you're a Jayhawk fan.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

and we must acccept terrible football fans like yourself.....

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

So unless you're a Homer, you're a terrible football fan is what you're saying. That's a loser perspective. "You can't be a fan unless you're willing to be unrealistic." The irony, though you said I'm a terrible fan, is that people like you are what's wrong with the fanbase.

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Atl...YES. It IS pessimistic. Unfortunately, it is more REALISTIC than concluding we have a decent chance of winning. Hopefully that answers your question. As for your statement, "...sounds like your [sic] saying that KU Football will never be any good, no matter what happens, or who's in charge..." (etc.), I say you're a bit dramatic. Perhaps even a drama queen. Right NOW Kansas has come off of pretty poor performances barely beating two of the worst teams in college football, and facing one that is 4-0 and nationally ranked in the top 25. I have made NO STATEMENT whatsoever on the long-term prospects of this team. In fact, my statements can not be construed to carry any import on Kansas' prospects outside of the upcoming game, which is clearly evident as I predicted "2-2". How you go from one game to eternity is a jump that screams of histrionics. Furthermore, your last statements were predicated upon the conclusion of yours that I just proved errant, which makes them false as well. I DO have hope for our team long term, but certainly not this weekend. And despite the fact that I wish the best for my team, of the 2 of us I am clearly the one making the best use of the evidence available. You need to overdose on a bottle of chill pills.

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

caustic? as if overstating what MY case is wasnt offensive! You got nerve dont you? I love your hypocrisy. The only thing that supercedes it is how you think you are entitled to be enraged after it. Oh, and dont think I didnt notice that you didnt address my response with anything substantive.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

jross, you're talking up Tech's 4-0 record like they've beaten a bunch of good teams to get there. Fact is, Tech's schedule is just about as shaky as KU's. SMU sucks this year, SFA is a lower level team, they needed a lot of help from the refs to beat an average TCU team, and Texas St. is in their second year of FBS football. If you're going to trash KU's wins because of the lack of quality competition, then don't hype up the team KU is playing that has played just as flimsy a schedule as KU has.

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm hyping TTech? I guess the pundits, media and all the coaches who do this day-in, day-out AREN'T hyping TTech, right?

Think about it...

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Continue to joke and poke fun at a group of college athletes trying harder than anything to turn this program around! If supporting all athletics programs makes me a problem for this program than you're dumber than I thought. Maybe it's because I played college athletics that makes your mentality so weak to me.....

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You're desperate. And more than that, you're a sissy. Being realistic about our chances is not the same as poking fun at our team. No, I don't make fun of THEM. I make fun of you. Why? Because YOURE the joke! Intellectually, youre conclusions dont follow from any premises. Emotionally, you are sensitive. Show me anything that I've said that pokes fun at the team. If you cant, then all your 3rd-grade rhetoric will unravel. Go ahead. I'm waiting. (Jeopardy! theme...)

Robert Brock 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It's up to our offensive line. If they cannot block, then we will get crushed. First one to 40 wins; can the Hawks do it?

jhawkrulz 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I still think the Big XII is down this year and we should pick up a win or two. I'm not sure against who. It'd be nice to get a win against TTU, just because it would build a little momentum.

I also think Campo designed a nickel defense to specifically address the offenses of the Big XII, exposing us to the run. It'll be interesting to see if this shift helps this weekend. I'm excited, but realistically we can't make the same mistakes as last week.

The other good news there have been a few things that have occurred that show we have improved: 1) Kicking game is much better 2) we are getting turnovers 3) we are stopping the pass 4) we still have had some drops, but it seems like there is some attention in this area.

Jim Stauffer 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt, I will apologize if you are correct, but I simply do not see it.

cozzhawk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Their quarterback play will not play a critical role unless our offense can put points on the board.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

uh, not if our Defense can! nice one

Steve Corder 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Emotion? You've given every reason why the losing streak will continue.

What is the line today?

troutsee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The first 3 games have been painful, even though we won two of them. It is pretty obvious that we do not have the horses to win another game this year. Too bad, as many of us have endured this from KU FB year after year after year, except for an occasional blast of euphoria about once every 20 yrs. I will be there as usual and hoping for a miracle but based on what I have seen so far, I don't see a miracle coming down the pike. This team lacks zip, fire, desire, and confidence. Without those and an offensive line, this season is over.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

If you could see a miracle coming, it wouldn't be a miracle.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Will KU win? The odds certainly don't point that way and with Tech also having a bye this past weekend, it does make it a little tougher for KU because Tech has been focused on KU for 2 weeks.

Can KU beat Tech? Absolutely. The way KU has to win this game is turnovers. KU has to be at least +2 in turnovers against Tech to win. Play action also needs to be a bigger component of the offense because that will help both the passing and running and it will be open for Pierson to hit a big play on a trail route across the flow of the play based on how Rice and LA Tech have played Heaps booting out on stretch plays.

If KU is +2 or better in turnovers and can get a little play action going, KU will have a chance to pull the upset.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Great chance of an upset on Saturday. IF we play the way I believe we're capable, FILL THE STANDS, MAKE NOISE, and come to play there will be a great chance! The crowd can make a big difference and we need the emotional edge to pull an upset. WAKE UP STUDENTS!!! This is a huge opportunity for the football program.

ROCK CHALK!

jaydee909 11 months, 3 weeks ago

We have not played a complete game yet, chiefly due to the offense being bad. No getting around we have not looked impressive. Heaps is stlll shaking off rust from being out of action for nearly two years. And he has not been that bad. He will have a breakout game at some point. Pardula is a great weapon. Even though we have played some not so good teams, it is apparent that our secondary is improved. Just maybe, the Tech game is where we put it all together. Tech has holes, mainly in the OL. They have not run the ball well. Their QB play has been shaky without Brewer. Their defense has been better than expected. TCU played miserably on offense in the game against Tech and there were officiating calls that did not go their way. They had a significant impact on the outcome of that game.

We played well at home last year for the most part; the ISU game being an exception. Our coaches, players and fans are sick of the Big 12 losing streak. Plenty of motivation. Just say that I will not be shocked if we pull the upset.

Hawk8086 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Based on the way LaTech outplayed us all over the field, in the 2nd half especially, means that we are going to have to play a lot better to beat anyone in the Big 12. That could certainly happen, but I would think it is more likely down the road than this weekend. I hope I am wrong.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The only "upset" that's going to take place is how upset we KU fans are going to be after getting blown out by Tech.

By all the stars in heaven, I hope I am dead wrong and Mr. Tait looks great.......but I'm afraid I am not!! We've been this road soooo many times these last several seasons.

Games are win in the trenches and being out-classed on both sides of the ball does not bode well.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

We've also been in many games like the La. Tech game in which we got beat.......

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 months, 3 weeks ago

the line is +14 and did come out last night

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The line is +14 and did come out last night. I bet my children's community college fund on TT to easily covet.

actorman 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, yes, they probably will covet -- and I'm guessing they'll cover as well.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Lesson #1, Don't bet from the heart rookie!

Lee Sears 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Here are the facts as I see them, KU has improved in almost every facet from last season, kicking, quarterback, defense, special teams. Add that to the fact that we had heartbreak losses to Texas & Oklahoma State last year, games we could have won. It seems like a lot of our trouble is confidence. When we play the teams that are supposed to be easy wins, we have something to prove and are somewhat afraid of making a mistake and being embarassed. When we play a team like TT where we are the underdog, I think we can play without fear. The monkey will be on their back this time. TT will seriously underestimate Kansas.

David A. Smith 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The LaTech that I watched a decent team. Their defensive line was especially high calibre.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Who would have predicted that West Virginia would beat Oklahoma State... KU beating Tech. would not be nearly as big of an upset.

Jeff Soisson 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought too that this was a possible win but it is not. KU would need to get 3 or 4 turnovers from Tech to make this happen. The one thing in our favor is that Tech never plays well in early games, so this could make a difference for us.

dinglesmith 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I truly hope KU can pull off the win against TTU and believe it possible. Not likely, but possible.

We need to get the ball to the backs. We have among the best stable of backs in the Big XII. There is no requirement to have a balanced offense. Run the ball. I'm tired of running the ball successfully only to pass on 1st down and get a sack or dropped ball halfway through a drive. Run the ball. When they stop you, do something different, but not until. Run blocking is much easier than pass blocking. Run the friggin' ball.

Al Martin 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Um, we haven't run the ball successfully this year. Period.

HighQ 11 months, 3 weeks ago

To beat a dead horse,

Wins and losses stem from the

Men in the trenches.

tulhawk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Let's get a win Saturday! and why didn't Keegan put his picture on this Opinion article?

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Here KU sits 2-1. Not the prettiest 2-1 but a solid 2-1 that we all should be excited about. I don't care how we won 2 games, I don't care what the talent was, I don't care who did what. All I care is that we have a WINNING record through 3 games. We have DOUBLED our win total from last year in the first 3 weeks. Can someone please tell me WHY there is so much negativity and whining fans on here? Smart fans, fans that care and want a winning program wouldn't be complaining, whining and have no belief in the football program. This team needs SUPPORT from a fan base that wants to win as bad as they do. Emotion and momentum play a huge roll in the game of football. Crazy things can happen. Tech is in no way unbeatable especially if we PACK THE HOUSE, CHEER and show SUPPORT for the program. Everyone wants to come on here and laugh, joke, whine and complain yet those same fans will be at Late Night, not the football game Saturday.....yet will be right back here on Saturday night (win or lose) complaining, whining and joking around.

Time to show support for the football program as they deserve it and will play hard Saturday!!! Rock Chalk

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You're the very definition of a tool. You make a case that seems to imply a fan can't do three things simultaneously: be happy about being 2-1, hope they win the next game, and be realistic about the small odds of doing it.

You just aren't as smart as you think you are.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

haha! I'm a tool according to someone hiding behind a screename in an online chat that is probably the definition of a fair weather fan!!! hahah, great to know!

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Youre fairly new here. Ill forgive the stupid comment. Next.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh thank goodness! Jross forgives!! I feel much better now. Ha, your mentality is weak, very weak! I'm here to help people like you....haha

Joe Ross 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Yes. I forgive. It's your lucky day.

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I would love nothing more to see Memorial sold out with a student section overflowing and craving a big win to end this conference losing streak. The players and coaches need our support....Let's show it for once!!!!!!

Micky Baker 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, but those students don't believe it's important to be loud in football, only in basketball.

Andy Tweedy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

That's generally true, but I think the loudest I've ever heard the Rock Chalk chant was at the 2005 Misery game. That place was absolutely rocking. I realize that's Misery and all, but the student can be loud, they just generally aren't very loud.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I'd be happy to see a KU crowd that knows how to cheer properly by getting loud when KU is on defense and shutting up when KU has the ball on offense.

machinegun 11 months, 3 weeks ago

All of this nonsense about who is a real KU fan and who is not seems unnecessary. We have beaten South Dakota, South Dakota State and Louisiana Tech since Weis became the head coach. A decent high school coach could have pulled that off. The last win was a fluke made possible, in part, by two unbelievable LA Tech turnovers.

I would like to remind Weis apologists that last year we were sitting on the Texas Tech 5-yard line, fourth and goal, clock running down. Charlie made the decision to kick a field goal for the tie rather than go for the win. Keep in mind that we had a 1-8 record at that point during the season. Talk about having no balls. We lost the game and finished the season 1-11.

You see it's all about winning and losing. 3 or 4 or 5 wins in two years just won't cut it. Go ask the Preacher.

Now, here we are getting ready to face the same Texas Tech team. Everyone will be there for the Homecoming game after waking up from the after glow of Late Night at the Phog: students, parents, little kiddies, old timers, die hards of every stripe and, of course, big-time Williams Fund donors.

Weis has a golden opportunity. Win the game and he gets to keep his job for another year. Lose and Charlie will probably be gone the night of the K-State game.

Doug Cramer 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Whew weeee. Bold prediction on Weis being gone the night of the K-State game. Not sure if I'm in that camp...or if I want to be. At this point...lets give the big guy some time. Charlie is a smart guy...he'll get it figured out if you let him.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You're sounding a bit much like my 4yr old neice. Take a deep breath, eat a snickers, and chill for a second. Weis will not get fired after this season. Why? Two reasons: He already doubled his wins from last year which is called improvement, something Gill couldn't accomplish. And, he's a celebrity in our eyes. He'll be given at least 3 years to make a bowl game. And if he doesn't, I feel it'll be him quitting realizing it's harder than he thought as opposed to the AD firing him. It's easier walking down the hill then climbing up the hill. Gill demonstrated that for us. So dry your eyes and be patient. If we get a bowl game in the next 5 years I'll be happy.

machinegun 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Several Weis apologists weighing in so far...until we develop an effective passing attack we might as well pray for rain. Weis is smart enough but can he develop a winning program?

dylans 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm tired of the basketball team having to financially support the universities athletic department, it's disgusting. But under no circumstance should Weis be fired. That would be too many wasted dollars on a losing product. The football team must elevate its play to at least middle of the pack or the whole athletic department is in trouble both financially and in the case of conference realignment. Come on Weis coach your butt off!!!

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I had a dream last night that Cozart game into the game and scored 63 on Texas Tech. No lie. How crazy would that be ...

gorilla10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

haha, the reciever and offensive line clearly weren't a part of your dream....

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Lol he handled it on his own. Threw to himself, blocked for himself, ran the ball, and even kicked a few field goals. Quite impressive actually.

machinegun 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You sound just like Grunhard, the former Bishop Miege coach, promoting his former Bishop Miege players. Not sure why Weis tolerates it. Plus the fact that Grunhard is the KU offensive line coach and there is a glaring deficiency in that area that must be corrected immediately.

Wake up. Cozart is listed at 6-2, 189. Big 12 defenses will crush the little guy. Weis will get sued for negligence. The kid should be allowed to grow up first.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

You're one of those guys aren't ya ... Knows everything but has done nothing. Good for you.

machinegun 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Just questioning your lack of common sense. You say you are getting your in-depth analysis about Cozart from a 4-year old? I believe you.

Listen, this isn't Bishop Miege and Grunhard is not the head coach! Grunhard better start coaching the offensive line instead of spending all of his time lobbying for his former Bishop Miege players, none of whom play on the offensive line.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I was joking about the Cozart dream. I've never even see him play. And look at you, getting all serious and making a fool of yourself. You really gotta start enjoying life sister or else you'll never get out alive.

Chris Gilbertson 11 months, 3 weeks ago

p>ESPN.com has him listed as a dual threat QB

machinegun 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Dual threat: Can run, can't pass.

texashawk10 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Not directly KU news, but it will have a big impact on the future of the Big 12. DeLoss Dodds is expected to announce his retirement as the AD at Texas tomorrow effective next August. I don't expect the UT board of directors or whoever chooses an AD to actually pick someone who deserves the job and I'm expecting it to be Mack Brown stepping down as coach to become AD and if that happens, I expect Mack Brown to bring Will Muschamp back to Austin. If the powers that be in Austin actually go outside the UT family to hire an AD, that will be interesting to see if UT makes a run at Nick Saban.

mikehawk 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I concur completely with your prediction. Dodds retires and Mack becomes AD. He remains popular with the big money boys down there, although it is wearing thin. I think this would be a win/win for Texas and the people involved. Your coach predictions also sounds very reasonable to me unless Muschamp is very happy as a Gator. Honestly, I think he would jump at the chance to be the Horns head man.

Fototherapist 11 months, 3 weeks ago

KU doesn't have much of a chance, unless the football gods see fit to grant us a few more wishes and handouts.

DanR 11 months, 3 weeks ago

23 hours after this opinion was posted and we still don't know whose opinion it is?

LOL

DanR 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Two days later and Keegan finally put his name on it. That's a relief.