Saturday, September 28, 2013

Self: First hoops practice ho-hum

Rings marking Kansas University’s 2013 Big 12 basketball championship arrived this week. Coach Bill Self planned to used their distribution to inspire his freshmen. This particular ring — posted on Twitter — belongs to strength coach Andrea Hudy.

photo

Courtesy Photo

Kansas University’s elite, eight-man recruiting Class of 2013 didn’t distinguish itself during the first official practice of the season, held Friday afternoon in the Jayhawks’ practice facility adjacent to Allen Fieldhouse.

“I am a little disappointed,” 11th-year KU coach Bill Self said after a 21⁄2-hour workout, “because I didn’t think our young kids were very amped up today. I thought when things started going south and they were involved with the movement going south, I didn’t think they did much to change it.

“I thought we showed our age today in practice because I didn’t really cut them any slack. I think it was probably an eye-opening experience for them to know, ‘Hey, we’ve got a lot to learn before we can actually play and be comfortable.’”

On this day, the best player in the gym just might have been former KU standout Ben McLemore of the Sacramento Kings, who put on a shooting display while practicing on his own following the practice.

“I just didn’t think we played very well,” Self said. “Our young kids are talented, but they’ve got a lot to learn and a long ways to go. Obviously, today I didn’t think they responded to the adversity the way a tougher team would respond to it.”

Practice normally starts the Friday closest to Oct. 15. The NCAA moved things up three weeks this season.

“I don’t think this had the energy that maybe some of the ones in the past had early on because it’s happening so soon,” Self said. “We got off to kind of a rough start on some pretty simple stuff. Our guys tried hard, but I wasn’t very pleased with our concentration.”

Self said the Jayhawks would probably take off Thursdays and Sundays and practice the other five days of the week leading to the exhibition opener versus Pittsburg State on Oct. 29.

“We’re not ready to play a game in any way, shape or form, including conditioning. I do think we’re further along conditioning-wise than any team we’ve had come Oct. 1,” Self said. “I think our conditioning may be fine, but after today’s practice, they may rather have Boot Camp.”

Self’s mood was brightened by the fact last year’s rings signifying the Big 12 regular season and postseason titles and Sweet 16 appearance had arrived and were ready to be distributed to the returnees and McLemore.

“We’re going to pass out rings in a little bit. Maybe we should go do it in front of our young guys right now because they don’t get one,” Self said. “That team last year played their tails off to win 31 of 37 games, and to think three of our six losses were games we held at least four-point leads under the four (minute)-time out and just didn’t finish. I’m so proud of ’em. Of course, nobody cares about last year’s team anymore. All anybody’s focused on is this year’s team. Certainly that’s a team I’ll always remember.”

Greene gets diversion: KU freshman basketball player Brannen Greene was entered into a one-year diversion program this week after being cited in July for leaving the scene of an accident.

Greene, 18, of Monroe, Ga., was accepted into the program and ordered to pay $560 on Tuesday, three days before a scheduled appearance in Lawrence Municipal Court.

On July 17, Greene was cited by Lawrence police for leaving the scene of an accident and failure to report an accident.

The accident was reported in the early morning hours of July 13 in the 2000 block of Ousdahl Road, where an unoccupied 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis was struck while parked in a driveway. Police said the trunk of the car was significantly damaged. Although witnesses could not immediately identify the vehicle that struck the Mercury, police later determined that it was a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer belonging to a Lawrence man and driven by Greene.

KU coach Bill Self on Friday had no comment on the matter.

This, that: Self wore a wrap on his left knee. “I had a little something done. I’m gimping around,” said the coach who had knee surgery eight days ago. “I’m close to being 80 percent.” ... Self on former KU player Zach Peters being eligible as a transfer at Arizona. “We’re fine with Zach. We thought Zach had a future with us, but unfortunately health (five concussions in two years) prevented that. I hope he has a great career at Arizona and is able to help them win a few games, just not at our expense.” ... Former UMKC coach Matt Brown was one of the coaches on hand to observe the workout. ... SI.com on Friday rated KU’s basketball program No. 1 in the country. KU beat out runner-up Kentucky, No. 3 Duke and Nos. 4 and 5 North Carolina and Michigan State. To read the rankings of current programs go to http://bit.ly/15zdgMz

Comments

Bill Skeet 1 year, 2 months ago

for those that like to click URLs rather than copy and paste

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's just hope none of these guys "Marquel" it after realizing it's going to be hard work.

I'm guessing that coach is going to be pretty tough on them early just to set the proper tone.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh yah, he's gonna put his size 10 boot up their hiney's on multiple occasions, even more often this year because they are sooooo young. The next 4-5 weeks will be a "toughening box" for the whole team. It also sounds like Ms Hudy needs to kick some @ss even further.

Todd Hill 1 year, 2 months ago

Roy, Izzo & Calipari might have size 10s, but at 6'-3" I would guess size 13.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

I was speaking metaphorically but thanks

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

I dunno Coach, even though KU lost a heartbreaker that final game, I still care a lot about them.

hawk316 1 year, 2 months ago

And that's what the Coach seemed to be saying, too. Through lots of hard work and dedication, last year's team overachieved. No wonder Coach Self said, "certainly that’s a team I’ll always remember.”

BringBackMark 1 year, 2 months ago

Bill Self is a class act. I don't think he knows how to say anything that he's not feeling. In terms of $/victory we're definitely getting our money's worth compared to the other major sport at KU. I have a feeling this team will be just fine come February and March.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Name the coach who has done a better job after inheriting a 3-9 team followed by a 2-10 team? It might take more than one season plus three games to turn around the worst football program in the country.

It took your guy 4 years to post a winning record. Does the new guy get the same timeline or was your guy special?

Cmill1221 1 year, 2 months ago

We are not and were never the worst. We were close but that title belongs to UNLV or New Mecico State.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I say "Weis for Five!" as usual. No more buy outs.

Turner only got two and then a down payment on a new KU basketball dorm.

Never again.

Weis for Five even if he goes winless from here on out!!

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Mangino had a losing record against FBS teams, get over it.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Self has had two straight short handed teams that overachieved with giant heart. Every coach feels more deeply for a team that over achieved against great odds than for teams that merely played to thei potentials. The last two teams rose against seemingly impossible odds and adversities to achieve a worthwhile goal. They did so in a small way as the US navy did at Midway. They rose in wave after wave of selfless, courageous, leave-it-all-here attack. The Navy cut the Achilles Heel of a seemingly invincible, but over extended foe. It won big when no one could foresee the outmanned, out shipped US Navy could even survive. Nothing else in my limited knowledge of naval. history even comes close to the odds they faced. The Japanese fleet was 200 battle test ships and crew. Yet the US Navy's brilliant, gambling leadership, teamwork, collective bravery, and awesome heart plus Lady Luck and the unfair advantage of broken code delivered them against long odds to the only possibility for victory. But it was most definitely heart that distinguished the US Navy that fateful day, heart as big as the ocean. On a smaller stage, in a kids game, in.the dry bed of a once great inland sea, the last two years something impossible occurred also.

Two shorthanded teams came together and found a way to win 30 games, when they probably had no business winning even 25. Two coaching staffs and two teams substituted heart for a lack of hands on deck and found a way to achieve something impossible for them. They won over 30 games each.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

I would be hard pressed to cal last year's team "short handed". And I wouldn't call 80% of the play from EJ last year "leave it all out here". He played many games like he was trying to rest his legs for the end of the year.

Part 2

Self will be known most by his ring teams at the end of his career, but these last two teams will be his finest hours in my mind always. They were two consecutive teams that rose above and beyond themselves and the call of duty to do what few before hand thought either could do. Jesus, this is what is so special about the present. And this new team has a chance, but only slim chance, to carry on this impossible streak. For all it's talent and depth, it faces something as harrowing as short handed ness. It faces XTReme Inexperience. In this way it too is like the US Navy at Midway. It doesn't know how young and inexperienced it is as it sets sail into harm's way. It can have no idea, because it is young and inexperienced.

But it is lead by some wiley old coaches that have been to sea many times now. Nimitz and Halsey had been on the great white fleet as young men. Nimitz had observed the great sea victory of the Japanese over the Russians in the Sino-Russian War. Nimitz knew Yamamoto from that war and from their days at Annapolis. US Navy leaders had been to sea in WWI. The leaders knew what the inexperienced young sailors did not. And they found a way to build a team that could win. They used every shred of their combined experience to put their young inexperienced sailors in a position where team work and four carriers could tip the odds.

Part 3

Self can do this if he can fit out his four carriers and mask them so as not to let what they don't know destroy them before their great fire power can be brought to bear. This season will be all about positioning great, but inexperienced firepower so that it does not destroy itself before it can be unleashed. Self gets this. His wistful comments today are just the chastened thoughts of a veteran who yearns for the comfort of veterans when there are few. He knows how much leaders leading men who already know what they are doing can accomplish. And he knows the only virtue of youth is it does not yet know what cannot be done. He knows he is riding a ship with a crew that has no idea what they are in for...none. And early on they are to face overwhelming odds of experienced opponents. His one chance is to divert his enemy early with a faint of his real team (the Coral Sea faint), while masking his plan to rely decisively on concentrating his best four carriers in an all or nothing attack in what, if he were lucky, would one day be remembered as the turning point Battle of the Bahamas where he launched everything he had, barely won and bought his green sailors the time to develop into the greatest navy the world has ever seen.

Away all boats!

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

Tarik = Carrier Embiid = Carrier still in dry dock Perry = Destroyer
Naadir = Fast frigate Wayne = Cruiser Wiggins = Cruiser

the rest of our bench = SSBNs, Nuc Subs, get it? Subs?

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe HCBS had been kneeling on that knee "Tebow style" a bit too much in the off-season. Or, possibly, the "..little thing" he had done was to insert extra padding on his knee in case he has to assume the kneeling position during the practice sessions ahead.

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

If Black adjusts quickly to Selfball, things should settle down and come together by December. Selden and Wiggins are too talented and competitive not to tighten their saddles and allow the coaching staff to ride them to victory. At the moment, the newbies especially are churning thru loose sand. Bound to be some ugly moments before league action. But once this group is ready for the fast tracks, the paddocks will bristle with blue ribbon anticipation. Self had best get that knee in shape quickly, as he will find himself firmly planted in the midst of highstepping hooves, cracking the tip of his whip.

Lulu,

Looks like the starting line up in the Bahamas, alright. But he may feint with AW3 and Jamari once or twice before to get them to prepare for the wrong starting lineup at least once. Self has got to get them some element of surprise going into the Bahamas.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

REHawk, cracking good take from the paddock. Horses and jockeys to the gates.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 2 months ago

The learning curve and how long it takes is the only thing we as fans fear. A victory over Duke at the beginning of the year is not impossible and I'm sure that game plans for that game will be started before Emporia State. Be strong gentlemen and become friends with Ellis and Tharpe. They will tell you how to sit on the bench after you've been yanked.

The good coaches get mad and demand and will not let too many things slide. We as fans know before a player goes to the bench what will happen.

We love coach Self for that, and you will too, eventually.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. --George S. Patton

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder if there's ever been a coach in the history of sports who's said his or her team looked good on the first day of practice?

I wonder if BMac wishes he was spending another season in Lawrence instead of Sacramento.

I wonder if Kentucky hadn't followed up a NC with a first round NIT loss to Robert Morris if we'd be #1 on the SI list?

I wonder how many of those rings have been sold on the side by players just like what happened at OSU? I mean, it's their ring, why couldn't they sell it?

I wonder how many people read that article and said to themselves, like I did, Sweet 16, that's all the further we made it last year? And I wonder how many people talk to themselves like I do?

I wonder if pushing the first practices up to the last week of September is just pushing things up a little too far?

I wonder if the band Kansas ever thought of naming their band Kansas St.?

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder if gumbo lacks fish and mudbugs if it is still gumbo?

I wonder if wissox has broken on through to the other side rhetorically?

I wonder if Self is giving them two weeks of BC and just calling one of them "with balls" and the other "without balls" as mikehawk postulated?

I wonder if the band Kansas still has all of their brain cells?

I wonder if all we are is dust in the wind?

I wonder if reality sandwiches can be gotten on whole wheat, or an onion roll?

I wonder if the bar/restaurant chain Hooters were named Mammarian Glands, if it would do more or less business?

I wonder if cleanliness is next to godliness, or just next to filth?

I wonder if Bo Ryan has ever considered spelling his name Boe Ryan?

I wonder if KU will make it through this season without any player having to wear quilts on his knees?

I wonder if Perry "The Designer" Ellis will be hired by adidas to fix the flood tide of uniform ensembles?

I wonder if C-3PO and R-2/D-2 were lovers?

I wonder if Han and Chewbacca were lovers?

I wonder if the force were really with Luke Skywalker, or if it was always with Bill Self from the very beginning?

I wonder if Andrew Wiggins is going through curling withdrawal?

I wonder if heavy rains induced by XTreme Weather Warfare by US Weather Command will cause the dorms on Daisy Hill to slide down to Allen Field House and be rehabbed as the new athletic dorms?

I wonder if wondering about wondering is profound, or simply too many degrees of freedom?

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder if Luke and Leia thought it was weird that they kissed each other like they did, when they figured out they were siblings?
Couldn't resist that...

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Nothing is weirder than Leia with Jabba. Jabba set sex back to a galaxy long, long ago.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Funny, I wondered the same about you, only before you.

Na, na, na poo-poo! :-)

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Ain't no sense in going home/

Jody got yo' girl and gone/

Sound off/

One-two

Sound off/

Three-four..."

Ken Sedgwick 1 year, 2 months ago

I was working in AFH earlier this week. I looked up once and noticed someone walking my way .Looked just like Curtis Townsend. I said good morning and he ignored me like I had just insulted him! Soon afterward another man walked by, so I quietly said good morning. I heard a loud GOOD MORNING! I looked up and saw HCBS with a giant grin on his face limping by. My heart sunk, his knee looked like it had to be painful. The man is two months younger than I am, but yet I have never felt so small. I honestly believe that if I met the president it would be like "whatever". Bill Self is an extraordinary man. I was afraid to mention the knee issue, I'm glad this article addressed the subject.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd say the first guy, whoever it was, wanted you to feel small, not coach Self.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

My favorite good morning quip is a cheery "Top of the mornin' " & the responses most always tell you something about the person, whether you know them or not.

mav,

What I gots ta know is: was he wearing quilts on the knee?

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

I expected another ho-hum copy, but this one is actually informative. Lately we've commented more on each other's comments than the content. I wondered if interns had manned the staff most of the off season. But alas, I guess it's been pre season for the guys at LJW too. Writers need to hit all the steps in AFH too. Now, let's bring it every day guys, show em' what you're made of.

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

Name one coach who would say his first practice was anything but average to below. This is the boring time of practices where team are learning positioning, screening, rotation ect. This is not the fun stuff that will come later .. Not surprising HCBS is saying HO-HUM.

Rock Chalk

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually, Coach has been pumping them up quite a bit through Boot Camp and every time he's gotten to talk about their performance.

This is classic Coach Self - "We're not tough enough." "We need to concentrate."

Welcome to a whole new level of intensity gentlemen, and psychological warfare.

mikehawk 1 year, 2 months ago

The Master Psychologist/Communicator is deep into his craft of getting into their minds and breaking them down. I think they are really in a second week of Boot Camp with basketballs. He just isn't calling in that.

mikehawk,

By gosh, I think you blew his cover!

I was speccing that he would surprise them and go two weeks, but figured I was wrong, when he called an end to it.

But I think you've got the right take on this. One week of official BC, then one week with balls after which they will wish they had had two weeks of BC.

Great insight, mikehawk.

VancouverHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Comments you'll never hear from Coach Self after the first practice

"I think they played a little too hard today; we'll have to make sure next practice is easier."

"I've decided just to focus on offense this year"

"After thinking it over, we've decided to schedule Missouri next year. Mostly, I just feel bad about the way we pushed them out of the Big 12."

"You know the 'toughing box' that Jaybate is always referring to? I've decided to eliminate it this year."

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Three Thoughts for the Day"

1. Remember that Dante not only wrote "The Inferno," but "The Paradiso," too.

2. Remember that Milton not only wrote "Paradise Lost," but "Paradise Regained," too.

3. Remember that Mel Brooks not only made "Blazing Saddles," but "Young Frankenstein."

jhawk613 1 year, 2 months ago

Bonus Thought: Remember that Bruce Willis not only starred in "Die Hard", but also "Die Hard 2," "Die Hard: With a Vengeance," "The Fifth Element - aka Die Hard in the Future," "Live Free or Die Hard," "Red - aka Old people Die Hard," "The Expendables - aka Die Hard Over the Top," "The Expendables 2 - aka Why Not?," "A Good Day to Die Hard," "Red 2 - aka Why Not? Part 2," and the soon-to-be produced "Die Hardest."

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Pro Bono thought for the day:

Bruno will ink a deal for yet another installment called "Reanimate and Die Again Hard as a Diamond with Demi."

I wish he would stop making these Sears Battery pics and crank out more Reds. Reds is still fresh.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

As a coach you always want to nit pick during the early practices. I had a head coach who always found a couple things wrong even when practice was good. Players don't improve if all they hear is they're good. compliments will come when they're truly earned.

MTHawk77 1 year, 2 months ago

Interesting Thought: ESPN's current roster (as of 3:41 pm on 9/28/13) for the 2013-2014 Kansas Jayhawks is without any of the new bodies (Freshmen + Tarik). Theoretical starting lineup:

PG: Naadir Tharpe

SG: Andrew White III

SF: Perry Ellis (possible future role in the NBA)

PF: Jamari Traylor

SF: Andrew Wiggins

PF: Tarik Black

C: Joel Embiid

Bench:

G: Conner Frankamp

F: Brannen Greene

Experience vs. Fabulous Talent. And the winner for a full 40-minute game is...

Ryan Houston 1 year, 2 months ago

Give it a few of weeks. They will be on there

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Self has so many bodies, he ought to schedule two games the same night and start two different teams!

All these horses are going to make the two in three games a lot easier.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Wha hoppened to the OSU scandal?

I want more alleged OSU infraction scoop!

When will the boom be lowered? before, or after we play the Cowboys in hoops?

Was it all much ado about nothing, or has Boone waded in to resolve the issue?

What up?

What?

This looks like a super chance for the Okie Baller Mafia to retake the mother ship of Gallagher-Iba, especially if Travis Ford has been going all Kaintuck north of the Red River.

Was it all football related, or has basketball been drawn into the quick sand?

Gimme scoop someone down in Oklahoma!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I want to congratulate the football team on not losing this weekend.

Surely this bye week should build some momentum. :-)

Seriously, rebuilding again is just as big of a grind as it was with Turner.

But the important thing is: the football fans are happier with Charlie and so less likely to try to put the pinch on another buyout.

Weis for Five!!!

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I still think the best way to fill the football stadium is to play a basketball game in it. (rim shot)

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Someone, again, what has Boone Pickens take been on the reputed OSU scandal?

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I can hardly wait for OSU to play Arizona and see Stumpy and Trav going all munchkins on the side lines.

"Follow the, follow the, follow the gold brick road...."

Tippyhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Will someone PLEASE come down and check out this kid.? Haanif Cheatham

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

A plane ticket, please? :-)

Seriously, tell me more about him.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Coach Topping believes that Cheatham compares favorably at this point to one of the best ever to play in the Nike Team Florida program.

“In many ways, Hannif is similar to Nick [Calathes]”, Topping stated. He believes in himself and has a great deal of confidence, has excellent hands and court vision, and is dangerous as both a scorer and facilitator.”

The Good News is Haanif must be pretty darned good.

The Bad News is Haanif is deep in Nike land.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

No players at KU with the word Cheat in their name please. Sounds like a Kentucky kid.

jaybate news service (ins):

Word out of Duke is that Coach Consonants has decided to star spelling his name phonetically.

C-O-A-C-H...X-T-R-E-M-E...C-H-E-A-P-S-H-O-T

(NOTE: no, not a whit of truth to it, but...wouldn't it be grand?) Oh, and sans malice.)

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

So Mr. Bate has gone from making extremely long posts to making a bunch of short ones. Not sure which I prefer.

Brak 1 year, 2 months ago

Have you seen his twitter account, it was just created a week ago and already 458 posts.