Friday, September 27, 2013

KU great Galen Fiss to get Browns honor

Galen Fiss, a former Kansas University football and baseball standout, will be inducted into the Cleveland Browns Legends this weekend.

Fiss, a linebacker, played with the Browns from 1956-65. He’ll join the Browns Legends along with guard Abe Gibron (1950-56) on Sunday.

Fiss signed with baseball’s Cleveland Indians and played the 1953 season in the minors alongside Roger Maris before going to the Air Force for two years.

Fiss was a two-time Pro Bowl selection (1963-64) who helped the Browns to an 84-4-1 record. A native of Johnson, Kan., Fiss played in 139 games.

He died in 2006 at 75.

Comments

Dee Shaw 10 months, 1 week ago

What a great man and family. What a great honor. I had the opportunity to know Galen for a short time. My father and Galen had done business together for years. I was honored to have met the man. Bob and Scott Fiss I know are proud sons. I know our family and family business are better off knowing Galen and the whole Fiss Family.

Just a quick comment on the story above. I had no idea that during Galens years with the Browns, they had a record of 84-4-1. That is impressive for any team but an NFL team. WOW.

VaJay 10 months, 1 week ago

Just a little clarification. The Browns' record from 1956 to 1966 was 93-46-5. He did play in three NFL championship games, winning one in 1964.

oldalum 10 months, 1 week ago

I think it's possible you are both right. One used 56 to 65 and the other added an extra year 56 to 66. Could one extra year explain the discrepancy?

nuleafjhawk 10 months, 1 week ago

dlshaw74, it's not my intent to call you out, but I just HAD to check that record. I think maybe you just had a typo ? According to the Cleveland Browns website, their record during that period (1956 - 1965) was 84-41-5. Still a very good record ! http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/year-by-year-results.html

Dee Shaw 10 months, 1 week ago

I got my information from the article. Obviously the article is wrong. I assumed there information would be correct. Sorry. Someone was lazy and did not do there homework. My bad assuming they were correct. Kind of sad that when you read an article and before you post a comment you must look it up and make sure the information being reported is correct. Don't call me out call the staff writers and kusports.com. OUT!

nuleafjhawk 10 months, 1 week ago

Like I said, was NOT calling you out. Just trying to graciously point out an error. And I do apologize - I didn't even read the article, just went directly to the comments.

Titus Canby 10 months ago

I knew Mr. Fiss when I was a kid. I was always amazed at how nice this great football player and successful businessman treated a dumb teenager like me. I just hope I've become half the man he was.

kay_you 10 months ago

Way to go Mr. Fiss. RCJH.

Jack Joiner 10 months ago

I didn't know Galen, but can see him in one of his NFL football cards in my mind. Amazing how when we talk about certain athletes I picture them in their cards. LOL! Congratulations to him and his family!

jaybate 10 months ago

ABOUT FLIPPING TIME, Cleveland!