Friday, September 27, 2013

Freshman KU basketball player on diversion following July citation

Incoming freshman Kansas University basketball player Brannen Greene was entered into a one-year diversion program this week after being cited in July for leaving the scene of an accident.

Greene, 18, of Monroe, Ga., was accepted into the program and ordered to pay $560 on Tuesday, three days before a scheduled appearance in Lawrence Municipal Court.

On July 17, Greene was cited by Lawrence police for leaving the scene of an accident and failure to report an accident.

The accident was reported in the early morning hours of July 13 in the 2000 block of Ousdahl Road, where an unoccupied 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis was struck while parked in a driveway. Police said the trunk of the car was significantly damaged. Although witnesses could not immediately identify the vehicle that struck the Mercury, police later determined that it was a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer belonging to a Lawrence man and driven by Greene.

Meanwhile, Kansas University associate athletic director Jim Marchiony told the Journal-World in July that there would be discipline, "but it will be handled internally."

Comments

jayhawkinnc 11 months ago

A one year diversion program? Seems rather lengthy to me. I figured 6 months would be sufficient.

coloradojayhawk 11 months ago

Wonder if he turned into the wrong driveway. What does "diversion program" actually amount to? If I were the homeowner I'd want season tickets at least...

TxJyHawk 11 months ago

Diversion program has nothing to do with what the homeowner gets. The fine is to the city for the citation....diversion program just means that if he stays clean for a year, then citation is erased from his record.

Mike Bratisax 11 months ago

TxJyHawk, exactly right but the judge still could have ordered restitution. Hope the guy whose car was hit doesn't have a large deductible unless the car driven by Greene covers the insurance.

79ictjhawk 11 months ago

Deductible? Who would have full coverage on a '97 Marquis? lol

coloradojayhawk 11 months ago

Thanks. I didn't really mean to imply that the diversion program might involve restitution from KU. I put two thoughts into the same thread.

Still, I don't think it would hurt to ask for tickets - say some of Brannan''s tickets for some of the home games. It would be asked of Brannan and not be part of the traffic judgement.

jaybate 11 months ago

Brannen, meet the tread mill.

texashawk10 11 months ago

I think it's Brannen, meet every step in AFH and then meet them again and probably a few more times after that.

Ryan Houston 11 months ago

Greene needs new contacts, or a better perception. Because with eyes like that, he will be missing all kinds of threes

Brak 11 months ago

I don't think contacts were the problem, more like he needs to take off his beer goggles when he's driving or playing for that matter.

Michael Pannacciulli 11 months ago

Hmm. This doesn't bode well for the young man. That will get you in the dog house fast and possibly a first ballot red shirt candidate.

Dude made a mistake. We all have. I am sure he learned and will use this situation to grow and learn. He has it tougher than most of us in the sense that when I made mistakes in collefe no one was writing articles about it. Glad they didn't use his name in the articles title.

Learn from this B.G...and move on.

Woody Cragg 11 months ago

Well Schitttereeeee BG........ that'll get the redshirt!......,,,Problem solved!

chriz 11 months ago

Yeah, Brannen, don't drink so much. When you're too drunk to know whether someone else should drive, you're too drunk. When no one else you know can drive either, well, you shouldn't be drinking anyway because you're underage.

If you haven't had "much" and you THINK you can drive, ...just stop trying to "flex nuts". Real Jayhawks know they got 'em.

Doug Cramer 11 months ago

Had a similar situation in college.

Back in the spring of 1997...I was living in McCollum Hall. Had a 1990 black Chevy pickup that was standard transmission.

Parked it one day in neutral without any brake on...got out and started walking to my dorm. All of a sudden I heard a crash noise...and the truck had rolled into another vehicle. Ain't gonna lie...I wanted to leave the scene...but my concious got the best of me...thinking about the person that would walk to their car the next day all damaged. It was an honest mistake...but better to have integrity and own up to ur mistakes.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months ago

I keep thinking that a Grand Marquis or similar car was also involved in the Chris Martin robbery.

hotrodm 11 months ago

I would rather face the judge and his punishment, then face coach Self and his discipline.

Chris1955 11 months ago

I feel sorry for the kid who has to drive the '97 Marquis Grandpa car. Bummer.

Mark Lindrud 11 months ago

Got an m.I.p my first semester so I can't judge, so this his one screw up. it's about what he does from here. It will be ironic if he does redshirt .

hawkmoon2020 11 months ago

Love this kid, and think he could contribute this year. However, I would agree that he is definitely on the bubble for a RS.

brooksmd 11 months ago

Always told my boys if you can't do it before midnight you don't need to be doing it because nothing good ever happens after midnight. And as long as they lived under my roof midnight was the limit. Sounds strict and fuddy-duddy but it helped get them out of the house. Had one move out after I gave him 3 days to mow the back yard or find another roof to sleep under.