Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ex-Jayhawk Peters cleared to play for Arizona

— Former Kansas University forward Zach Peters will be able to play this season at the University of Arizona and have four years of eligibility left, the NCAA announced.

Peters left KU after one semester last year after suffering three concussions first semester. He suffered two concussions his senior year of high school at Prestonwood Christian in Plano, Texas.

“Today’s news from the NCAA is very exciting for Zach and his family, as well as our basketball program,” Arizona coach Sean Miller said in a UA statement as reported by the Arizona Daily Star. “There was a lot of effort and cooperation that went into this waiver process. We’d like to thank the NCAA, the University of Kansas and many members of the Arizona Athletics family for their tireless efforts to make this a reality.

“To this point, Zach has participated with us and we’re still in the process of him returning to full competition and contact. Zach has made tremendous progress in his time at Arizona, and we’re optimistic that with continued improvement, that time will come in the near future.”

The 6-foot-9 Peters left Kansas after the fall semester and enrolled at a junior college near his Texas home. After improving last spring, he transferred to Arizona with the intent of playing basketball. Peters told the Daily Star he signed a form that would not allow him to transfer for medical reasons, which may have complicated the process. The NCAA had to judge whether he left KU for reasons out of his control, and UA coach Sean Miller said a case was presented to the NCAA that it was out of his control.

“I’ve tried to remain patient throughout this process, and today’s news is definitely a relief,” Peters said. “I’ve been making strides physically with the goal of getting back to full competition, and, right now, it’s about honoring that process. I’m excited to keep improving and it’s great to be able to put my focus on the season ahead.”

The Daily Star says Peters is expected to play a top reserve role in the UA frontcourt. Miller has said his shooting skill would be an important addition.

Comments

captku 6 months, 4 weeks ago

So, does he get to be called an "ex-Jayhawk" if he never laced 'em up on gameday? Just a thot. Might need to change this article title.

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Between Lute and Stumpy there's been a lot to find annoying.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate Arizona?

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

HEM,

It was like Lyle thumbed his nose at the syndicate and he was being down-ranked instead of breaking his fingers.

No, it was like he refused an offer he couldn't refuse....

No, it was like he coulda been uh contendah....

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Damned well played, TRUBLUE!

Joseph Bullock 6 months, 4 weeks ago

On Peters: There was an obvious problem at K.U. We didn't welcome him back, because we know he did not want to come back! Peters, and K.U., also knew he would be able to play basketball again. For him to go to Arizona, simply let's everyone know his anger towards K.U., as everyone knows they have made it personal with us (maybe because of Jeff coming to Kansas). But we also know their coach is a total jerk (he is not liked at all, by most other coaches, or refs). PS: Rob4: I don't remember you having a problem when Bruce Weber had a mock funeral for Coach Self! Things about you that make me go ---Hmmmmmmm!!!

Patrick Bryant 6 months, 4 weeks ago

The issue I'm concerned with is the NCAA taking 2 steps forward (recognizing and acting on concussions) and 1 step back (letting an athlete leave sports due to a concussion and then letting them come back). From my limited understanding of concussions he is one elbow on top of his head from an opposing players rebound from being out again and possibly suffering long term consequences. Zach (or anyone for that matter) doesn't need that to live with for the rest of his life. Best of luck to Zach.

Joe Baker 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Loves it...

Two things about this interview at the 2:10 mark: He beams when discussing his recruiting with the Jayhawks, and he cut uk from his list. He didn't mince words either. I love this kid and his tenacious attitude, very TRob and Morri-like.

RockChalkIowa2010 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I know a few people that were closely involved with his AAU team and they had been saying years before Peters actually got to campus that we was very, very soft. He was spoiled at home and was mentally weak and often complained. I have no idea what happened with him at Kansas but it's not surprising to me if the real reason is he didn't mesh well.

FearlessJayhawk 6 months, 4 weeks ago

It will interesting to see if Zach can develop as much as Jeff Withey did at KU.

Waylon Cook 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Sad he should have stayed here! I am afraid he may suffer a concussion if he slips on one of the grease spots Sean Miller leaves behind!

Tony Bandle 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Please feel free to call me the Ass Clown of the Day, but I wish Zach four years of perfect health and four years of not makng one shot.

Rarely do I get down on a past Jayhawk, but, from start to finish, this whole Peters affair smelled to high heaven and I think Kansas took the high road, ate a lot of crap and let Peters exit with his reputation intact.

If Calipari ever goes to the NBA, retires or moves on to the next plane, I nominate Sean Miller as the next Coach We Love To Hate The Most!! { Norm Stewart is already has the permanent Emeritas position ad infinitum].

Phoggie_Thinking 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Self again shows great class. The KU help is either directly related to Self or at the very least with the permission of Self. Recruits have to see or at least parents of recruits that Self will do everything within his power to help them with their future even when KU is no longer in their future.

Hawk8086 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I always felt there was more to the story. I don't know if the word on the street that several have mentioned is true or not, but I have always wondered why it appeared that the door was not open for him to come back.

selfhimbill 6 months, 4 weeks ago

jaybate, you summed it up in a nutshell – well, maybe two nutshells.

Scott Smetana 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I wish Zach well, but am feeling he won't last 4 years. If he had passion for basketball, he obviously would have stayed at Kansas.

Rob Wempe 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Good luck Zach! We have to ask ourselves, if Zach was still here, who would have been left off our 2013 recruiting class? There are only so many slots. He is a good kid, I hope he realizes his dreams. RCJH

texashawk10 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I don't get why Peters gets his full 4 years even though he was enrolled at KU for a semester. Shouldn't that mean that he has 3.5 years of eligibility left, especially considering that he played in exhibition games for KU?

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

"A Recent Time Line"

Zach signs way early with KU several years back.

KU scandals and realignment problems hit.

SELF recruits through KU scandals unrelated to hoops with signing any bumper crops.

Calipari corners several straight classes.

The B12 shrinks and nearly flies apart.

Self and KU far exceed expectations with thin talent for two seasons.

Along the way attempts to expand B12 into an EST footprint fall apart during a presidential campaign in which red state momentum is blunted and blue states move to block red state advances.

Adidas gets caught in a financial pinch in Europe.

A reputedly bail-out-money driven money manager buys up a big chunk of adidas stock.

Zach enrolls and reputedly promptly gets his bell rung so many times he is advised he should no longer play the game. Self agrees.

Rumors fly about Self's private life.

Zach bunks out with AW3 and bunks in with Tyler, then leaves mid term and enrolls at a juco near home.

Adidas campaigns to ramp up revenues with tacky new uniform ensembles.

Self says Adidas has been good to KU and it's time for KU to be a good teammate back.

Self's best recruiting Class in years is signed.

Reputed one-time Nike lean Andrew is signed by Self and KU, an Adidas coach and school.

ESPN starts what appears to be a series of psy-ops style stories on Ben, Andrew and Self, as Self's recruiting momentum ramps up.

Snacks is brought in position as assistant HC and a second big recruiting class looms.

KU's most anticipated season in years starts.

The "Arizona Athletic family" and KU help Zach cut the red tape preventing Zach from playing for 'Zona and Zach starts playing for UA.

Andy Hess 6 months, 4 weeks ago

So he says he's done playing basketball, then as soon as he gets to Arizona, he's all better. Eff that. Traitor.

Scott Murphy 6 months, 4 weeks ago

The whole concussion thing is a smoke screen, word is that he didn't mesh well with the other players and that he did get into a fight with Kevin Young where he was knocked out, after that there was no coming back.

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

"We’d like to thank the NCAA, the University of Kansas and many members of the Arizona Athletics family for their tireless efforts to make this a reality."

-- Stumpy Miller

I wonder what EXACTLY many members of the "Arizona Athletics family" could contribute to this process? Why would they need to?

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Stumpy Miller gets Tark and Zach. If I were Self, I would shunt some talent over to Sendek at ASU.

Ian Emerson 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I had always heard rumblings that he left because of an altercation with someone at Jayhawks Towers and it was quickly put under raps. But with these things you never really know

Mel Clare 6 months, 4 weeks ago

We will never know for sure. Wish the kid well and stay away from all those concussions! Hope he has a good and bright future(except if he lays KU). Concussions are a serious thing and hope is fully recovered. He wont get "banged" near as much in the Pac12 as in the Big 12 that is for sure...............

hotrodm 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Zach deserves a second chance and hopefully will stay healthy and get to play. KU fans should wish the kid well, who cares if there is more to the story.

Doug Cramer 6 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm with BigManU. This whole situation doesn't make sense...and something seems off. Definitely feels like there is information not being told.

At any rate...good luck to the big fella. I was excited for him to be a Jayhawk...but I hope he stays healthy with no more concussions.

Phil Leister 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Hate to see him at Arizona. He had 3 concussions in his first semester? And two the previous year? Hope he doesn't have any more, but the odds aren't in his favor.

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

BMU,

"History's Mysteries" wants this story!

jaybate 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Tyler could write quite a book about his roommates at KU someday. Hope he resists the temptation.

Speaking of Tyler, the recent team photo suggests he is maturing rapidly. Wouldn't it be great if he went through his maturation phase, got better, and caught some PT DOWN STREAM. Al Maguire's son Allie once went thru such a transformation and surprised people a little.

Go Tyler, go!!!!!!!!!

Chris Shaw 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Something just doesn't add up with the whole Zach Peters situation. It's just strange. I don't know if we'll ever know the true story, but the whole situation is just bizarre and doesn't make sense to me.

ParisHawk 7 months ago

Looks like KU did what it could to help Zach get eligible. I'm glad. I sure hope he makes it through those 4 years without more concussions....

SoCalAlum 7 months ago

We got Withey - they get Zach Peters (good luck to him and all); time will tell, I guess, but I'm sensing we got the better end of this "trade."

KanFan27 7 months ago

Our front court is so loaded that I don't care about him leaving, but a part of me is annoyed that he was cleared to play this season. I feel that the way things have gone between KU and the NCAA that if he had been trying to come to us, he would be sitting this whole year out. Regardless, I wish him well, but still hope Arizona does not.

Michael Luby 7 months ago

son of a gun! Glad Big P is getting back on the court but its tragic that he is at Arizona, which is almost as bad as going to Mizzou.