Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ex-Jayhawk Peters cleared to play for Arizona

— Former Kansas University forward Zach Peters will be able to play this season at the University of Arizona and have four years of eligibility left, the NCAA announced.

Peters left KU after one semester last year after suffering three concussions first semester. He suffered two concussions his senior year of high school at Prestonwood Christian in Plano, Texas.

“Today’s news from the NCAA is very exciting for Zach and his family, as well as our basketball program,” Arizona coach Sean Miller said in a UA statement as reported by the Arizona Daily Star. “There was a lot of effort and cooperation that went into this waiver process. We’d like to thank the NCAA, the University of Kansas and many members of the Arizona Athletics family for their tireless efforts to make this a reality.

“To this point, Zach has participated with us and we’re still in the process of him returning to full competition and contact. Zach has made tremendous progress in his time at Arizona, and we’re optimistic that with continued improvement, that time will come in the near future.”

The 6-foot-9 Peters left Kansas after the fall semester and enrolled at a junior college near his Texas home. After improving last spring, he transferred to Arizona with the intent of playing basketball. Peters told the Daily Star he signed a form that would not allow him to transfer for medical reasons, which may have complicated the process. The NCAA had to judge whether he left KU for reasons out of his control, and UA coach Sean Miller said a case was presented to the NCAA that it was out of his control.

“I’ve tried to remain patient throughout this process, and today’s news is definitely a relief,” Peters said. “I’ve been making strides physically with the goal of getting back to full competition, and, right now, it’s about honoring that process. I’m excited to keep improving and it’s great to be able to put my focus on the season ahead.”

The Daily Star says Peters is expected to play a top reserve role in the UA frontcourt. Miller has said his shooting skill would be an important addition.

Comments

Michael Luby 12 months ago

son of a gun! Glad Big P is getting back on the court but its tragic that he is at Arizona, which is almost as bad as going to Mizzou.

Andy Tweedy 12 months ago

Nothing is almost as bad as Misery!

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

You know what's weird for me? I've spent close to 50 years of my life seriously hating MU and now that they're gone, it's like they don't even exist. I still get like it when they get beat (at anything), but I just can't get as worked up about them as I used to.

Ryan Sullivan 12 months ago

Yeah, but still...Muck Fizzou.

Jonathan Briles 12 months ago

Our front court is so loaded that I don't care about him leaving, but a part of me is annoyed that he was cleared to play this season. I feel that the way things have gone between KU and the NCAA that if he had been trying to come to us, he would be sitting this whole year out. Regardless, I wish him well, but still hope Arizona does not.

Marc Frey 12 months ago

My thoughts too. The NCAA goes out of its way to hammer KU with unreasonable decisions towards our players, but let Peters get all 4 years at another school. Great for Peters, but shows the NCAA's hypocracy....or apparent hypocracy.

jhox 12 months ago

My thoughts exactly. I am definitely happy for Zach. For once the NCAA did the right thing, but you can bet had he transferred from Arizona to KU the wouldn't have cleared him.

tulhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I was thinking the very same thing as I read this.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I feel the same also but I see him at most being a role player or at least not making any huge impact for Arizona.

I know I'm glad we had the scholarship that was his if he had stayed, I hope he does well and proves me wrong by his play at Arizona.

SoCalAlum 12 months ago

We got Withey - they get Zach Peters (good luck to him and all); time will tell, I guess, but I'm sensing we got the better end of this "trade."

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Didn't think of it but good point. Withey proved once again what Self can do with players that others never thought possible.

ParisHawk 12 months ago

Looks like KU did what it could to help Zach get eligible. I'm glad. I sure hope he makes it through those 4 years without more concussions....

Chris Shaw 12 months ago

Something just doesn't add up with the whole Zach Peters situation. It's just strange. I don't know if we'll ever know the true story, but the whole situation is just bizarre and doesn't make sense to me.

Joe Baker 12 months ago

Agreed. Wish him all the best.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I was thinking the same thing. Zach Peters committed to KU very early and was a huge fan of the program...and then he was gone; maybe someday we will learn the real story behind his departure. In the meantime, best of luck to him.

jaybate 12 months ago

Tyler could write quite a book about his roommates at KU someday. Hope he resists the temptation.

Speaking of Tyler, the recent team photo suggests he is maturing rapidly. Wouldn't it be great if he went through his maturation phase, got better, and caught some PT DOWN STREAM. Al Maguire's son Allie once went thru such a transformation and surprised people a little.

Go Tyler, go!!!!!!!!!

yates33333 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Wouldn't you like to know why Peters left KU and didn't return? I would. Any theories?

jaybate 12 months ago

BMU,

"History's Mysteries" wants this story!

Phil Leister 12 months ago

Hate to see him at Arizona. He had 3 concussions in his first semester? And two the previous year? Hope he doesn't have any more, but the odds aren't in his favor.

Doug Cramer 12 months ago

I'm with BigManU. This whole situation doesn't make sense...and something seems off. Definitely feels like there is information not being told.

At any rate...good luck to the big fella. I was excited for him to be a Jayhawk...but I hope he stays healthy with no more concussions.

mattiesdad 12 months ago

Such as...why did we just write him off? There was never any talk of opening the door for him to come back if/when he recovered. Not one article ever broached the topic of "...if this happens, Zach could return to the team." It was always sionara Zach. He looked like he had great potential from the games in France. File it in the "We'll Never Know" category.

akgjenkintown 12 months ago

There were hints that he did not mess well with some of the players when at KU. I think he will turn out to be a very good player, unfortunately for Arizona.

hotrodm 12 months ago

Zach deserves a second chance and hopefully will stay healthy and get to play. KU fans should wish the kid well, who cares if there is more to the story.

dylans 12 months ago

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mel Clare 12 months ago

We will never know for sure. Wish the kid well and stay away from all those concussions! Hope he has a good and bright future(except if he lays KU). Concussions are a serious thing and hope is fully recovered. He wont get "banged" near as much in the Pac12 as in the Big 12 that is for sure...............

Ian Emerson 12 months ago

I had always heard rumblings that he left because of an altercation with someone at Jayhawks Towers and it was quickly put under raps. But with these things you never really know

jaybate 12 months ago

Stumpy Miller gets Tark and Zach. If I were Self, I would shunt some talent over to Sendek at ASU.

jaybate 12 months ago

"We’d like to thank the NCAA, the University of Kansas and many members of the Arizona Athletics family for their tireless efforts to make this a reality."

-- Stumpy Miller

I wonder what EXACTLY many members of the "Arizona Athletics family" could contribute to this process? Why would they need to?

rob4lb 12 months ago

Why do you feel the need to constantly denigrate other team's coaches? It not as clever as you think it is and it is really childish.

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

four pound rob,

Part 1

Gee, not clever and childish? Really?

How about cretinous and infantile, too? :-)

Seriously, I like satire as a more civil means of calling attention to public figures' misbehaviors than calling them not clever and childish. Not clever and childish sounds as if one has already been neutered with sheep shears before registering dissatisfaction.

I just don't think calling Consonants, Calimari, Scomer (i.e., my newly contracted nickname for Scottie, son of Homer) and Stumpy and Ratso childish and unclever adequately communicates the shortcomings of some of their actions in regards the game.

Coach K became Coach Consonants for me (I once respected him, a good deal despite his adoption of Bob Knight's dictum that once one falls behind ten points, one gets to play as dirty as one wants for five minutes to see if one can get back into the game), after he appeared to introduce XTReme Cheap Shotting in the last National Championship he won (against Butler) and then appeared to continue the XTReme Cheap Shotting into that next season. Childish and nonclever don't capture these aspects of him.

Calipari became Calimari out of deference to 100 who hung that disdainful hat on him for his reputed dubious actions and wake of vacated wins at two universities. I don't think childish and nonclever quite capture Cal's (and WWW's) approach to winning.

Scomer (aka Scottie Drew) has had his career handed him by his dad, Homer, then ran one mid major briefly with some success with someone elses material, then took the Baylor job under Baylor President Kevin "spent $25 million tax payer dollars to catch Clinton in a BJ" Starr, then got called on the carpet for recruiting violations, then squandered tons of talent, then refused to show good sportsmanship in handshake lines after losses to Self, then gloated after accidentally beating KU, then returned to showing bad sportsmanship in the handshake lines after returning to losing to Self, and has generally ridden a bunch of talent anomalously (and suspiciously) showing up in Waco flipping Tayhoss to underachievement. I just don't think calling him nonclever and childish does him justice, do you?

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Part 2

And then, of course, there is Stumpy. Stumpy won for a couple years with Thad's material at Xavier, then made a motion play to Tucson, where he won promptly with the preceeding coach's material, and told his players to mug KU in a game. Right there, I didn't like Stumpy. I don't like any coach that orders his players to mug KU. Play us fair and square, like The Mayor, out smart us even like the Mayor, and I am full of nothing but respect. But order us mugged and I have no use for the trespasser on the legacy. Next, Stumpy began hauling in massive recruiting classes in excess of either his charisma (which he lacks), or his record of excellence (he only won 70% with Thad's material already in place and made the Eight once). His performance at Zona is 69% with some stacked recruiting classes, a down conference, and he did squeeze out an Eight finish with an inherited star, which Self did too once.) Stumpy is not an insecure mediocre coach, like Scomer Drew is. Stumpy is a cocky average coach, maybe even above average. But he has been squandering above average talent the same way Scomer has been. And again, when a coach tries to take us down in a mugging, I don't forget it. And now he has weasled his way into Zach Peters mysteriously troubled career arc. If you love Stumpy, then more power to you. Call him Mr. Sean, or Coach Miller, but for me he remains Stumpy.

Ratso Izzo? A lot of people don't like me calling Tom Ratso Izzo, because he's got a great W&L statement and won a couple rings. But his guys broke Cole Aldrich's nose, and mugged our guys one game, and started another with a face punch out of the blue. Ratso Izzo is on my S-List for those disgusting displays of coaching. But he is on my perma-shizz list for being a ring leader in dragging the game down into the XTReme Latrine it now finds itself mired in. And who could forget the worst National Final game of all time? Ratso's muggers lead by Mateen Meat Clever Cleeves turned basketball in Sumo with a ball in 2000 against UW's Badgers. Roy saved the game briefly, when the refs regurgitated their whistles a couple of season, but when they began swallowing again, there was Ratso hurrying to take it back down into the latrine. It was a stain on my eyes that I have never been able to fully remove. The greatest game ever invented turned by Tom Izzo into a flat rock to relieve himself on with XTRem Muscle!!! Just a horrible contribution to the game by Ratso.

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Part 3

Hmmmmm, who else is there?

Well, there is Ben Fouland, or at least there was Ben Fouland. Ben did the game the service of introducing the hack'n'slap defense. Ben won big with the hack'n'slap at Pitt and then at UCLA, until the rest of the coaches that had waited half a decade for the refs to finally enforce the rules against Fouland's hackers, said, "If you can't beat him, get down in the hole that he is in, too." And from that moment, when everyone began to play hack'n'slap, Ben Fouland was exposed for the light weight coaching talent that he was. How is it sufficient to call Ben Fouland unclever and childish?

I'm sorry, four pound rob, but I am going to leave the alum-tinctured erudition of "not clever" and "childish" to your toweringly discreet charm of the bourgeoisie, and I'm going to stick with Swift and Voltaire, Twain and Bierce, Celine and Kafka, Vonnegutt and Heller, and Pynchon and Foster Wallace, and dear, dear Mel Brooks, and use satire for such actors.

jhox 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Yeah, we help get him declared eligible. Miami of Ohio goes out of their way to see that Nick Harwell doesn't have a fair opportunity to graduate and be eligible for us.

OU went to bat for McKay when he transferred here, but the NCAA says no. Kevin Short works his butt off to become eligible, does all that's asked, and the NCAA says no. It would be nice if we could catch a break on one of these deals now and then.

My guess is that someone in the NCAA offices went to a certain turncoat school to our East, and makes it his personal mission to see that we don't catch a break.

Scott Murphy 12 months ago

The whole concussion thing is a smoke screen, word is that he didn't mesh well with the other players and that he did get into a fight with Kevin Young where he was knocked out, after that there was no coming back.

Kent Wells 12 months ago

Gives "Fear the Fro" whole new meaning!

Andy Hess 12 months ago

So he says he's done playing basketball, then as soon as he gets to Arizona, he's all better. Eff that. Traitor.

jaybate 12 months ago

"A Recent Time Line"

Zach signs way early with KU several years back.

KU scandals and realignment problems hit.

SELF recruits through KU scandals unrelated to hoops with signing any bumper crops.

Calipari corners several straight classes.

The B12 shrinks and nearly flies apart.

Self and KU far exceed expectations with thin talent for two seasons.

Along the way attempts to expand B12 into an EST footprint fall apart during a presidential campaign in which red state momentum is blunted and blue states move to block red state advances.

Adidas gets caught in a financial pinch in Europe.

A reputedly bail-out-money driven money manager buys up a big chunk of adidas stock.

Zach enrolls and reputedly promptly gets his bell rung so many times he is advised he should no longer play the game. Self agrees.

Rumors fly about Self's private life.

Zach bunks out with AW3 and bunks in with Tyler, then leaves mid term and enrolls at a juco near home.

Adidas campaigns to ramp up revenues with tacky new uniform ensembles.

Self says Adidas has been good to KU and it's time for KU to be a good teammate back.

Self's best recruiting Class in years is signed.

Reputed one-time Nike lean Andrew is signed by Self and KU, an Adidas coach and school.

ESPN starts what appears to be a series of psy-ops style stories on Ben, Andrew and Self, as Self's recruiting momentum ramps up.

Snacks is brought in position as assistant HC and a second big recruiting class looms.

KU's most anticipated season in years starts.

The "Arizona Athletic family" and KU help Zach cut the red tape preventing Zach from playing for 'Zona and Zach starts playing for UA.

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Ok, then, ralster, call him an adidas contracted coach and KU an adidas contracted school.

I didn't mean to smear him, or KU, with adidas. Adidas is a perfectly fine company caught in a tough spot and taking steps to survive.

I'm okay with both your clarification and with Adidas actions, though I do wish they would insist the shoe manufacturer (i.e.. the one adidas and Nike reputedly jointly use) hire adults and pay them a fair wage.

I believe a majority of Americans would be willing to pay an additional five bucks on the price of a good pair of shoes to enable hiring adults and paying them a fair wage.

For god's sakes, if American's are willing to pay big bucks for these ghastly new uniform designs, they won't bat an eye over $5 extra for good kicks.

captku 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Just thinking out loud, but i would pay and extra 10 schmoles if we could get them made here in the good ol' USA, made by adults earning a fair wage. I did like the adiZeros and the blue socks better than anything Nike I saw last year. And those Nike jerseys last year, they looked like the guys were sweating out there the whole game, with that ghosted-type design under the numbers. eech.

texashawk10 12 months ago

I don't get why Peters gets his full 4 years even though he was enrolled at KU for a semester. Shouldn't that mean that he has 3.5 years of eligibility left, especially considering that he played in exhibition games for KU?

Jack Wilson 12 months ago

I just learned this yesterday. Actually, since Peters did not enroll at AZ until May, he'd have to sit out a year at AZ. So he would have missed the entire season, not just the first semester. Most kids transfer at semester and go straight to a D-I, thus missing one year and starting at semester.

KGphoto 12 months ago

Seems like it would go down as a redshirt year. Or a redshirt semester if that even exists. He hasn’t played in any games that count against eligibility.

ohjayhawk 12 months ago

I think this is it. If I recall correctly, a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 seasons. If they don't play in a game in a season, that can count as a redshirt year. Zach didn't play at all, so last season was his redshirt season (1 semester at KU, 1 at the JUCO). He should now only have 4 years to play his 4 seasons at Arizona. Obviously, there are exceptions (i.e. medical redshirts, etc), but I'd say KGphoto is correct.

Jack Wilson 12 months ago

He was enrolled at KU the first semester. So if he transferred at semester, he would be eligible at semester at his new D-I school. But he did not do that. He enrolled in a junior college. Red-shirt and transfer are two different things.

My first impression was that he would be eligible at semester, but I believe that he would have to sit out a year at AZ since he didn't get to AZ until May. Thus the import of the article above -- he is eligible to play as opposed to sitting out all season.

You can get a medical waiver, that's apparently what he's trying to do. But it appears Peters signed something with KU when they released him that he would not seek a medical waiver. The link is below. KU apparently waived that as part of this process.

ohjayhawk 11 months, 4 weeks ago

HEM - Actually I think redshirt and transfer work in conjunction. If a player transfers, and sits out the typical one year period, his redshirt is burned. If the player has already used a redshirt, they lose a year of eligibility during the year they sit. I think what is happening here is that the NCAA has issued a waiver for the typical one year/semseter that Zach would normally have to sit out for the transfer, but, because he sat out last season completely, he also burned his redshirt. So, he can play immediately (because of the waiver), but only has four years to play four seasons.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Hem, here is the follow up article to the one you posted:

I am wondering if KU had him sign the "medical transfer" waiver to fend any potential future legal liability, as in being sued by Zack Peters for injuries suffered while at KU...in today's environment, a distinct possibility.

Rob Wempe 12 months ago

Good luck Zach! We have to ask ourselves, if Zach was still here, who would have been left off our 2013 recruiting class? There are only so many slots. He is a good kid, I hope he realizes his dreams. RCJH

Scott Smetana 12 months ago

I wish Zach well, but am feeling he won't last 4 years. If he had passion for basketball, he obviously would have stayed at Kansas.

selfhimbill 12 months ago

jaybate, you summed it up in a nutshell – well, maybe two nutshells.

Hawk8086 12 months ago

I always felt there was more to the story. I don't know if the word on the street that several have mentioned is true or not, but I have always wondered why it appeared that the door was not open for him to come back.

Phoggie_Thinking 12 months ago

Self again shows great class. The KU help is either directly related to Self or at the very least with the permission of Self. Recruits have to see or at least parents of recruits that Self will do everything within his power to help them with their future even when KU is no longer in their future.

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

Please feel free to call me the Ass Clown of the Day, but I wish Zach four years of perfect health and four years of not makng one shot.

Rarely do I get down on a past Jayhawk, but, from start to finish, this whole Peters affair smelled to high heaven and I think Kansas took the high road, ate a lot of crap and let Peters exit with his reputation intact.

If Calipari ever goes to the NBA, retires or moves on to the next plane, I nominate Sean Miller as the next Coach We Love To Hate The Most!! { Norm Stewart is already has the permanent Emeritas position ad infinitum].

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

PS My apologies to all who think me too harsh, but I just feel we got the screwjob on this one. Sorry , I was at the St,.Louis Ram game last night and I'm still in mourning over the death of our football team

Jack Wilson 12 months ago

Think of it this way, we traded Peters for Mickelson.

Waylon Cook 12 months ago

Sad he should have stayed here! I am afraid he may suffer a concussion if he slips on one of the grease spots Sean Miller leaves behind!

FearlessJayhawk 12 months ago

It will interesting to see if Zach can develop as much as Jeff Withey did at KU.

RockChalkIowa2010 12 months ago

I know a few people that were closely involved with his AAU team and they had been saying years before Peters actually got to campus that we was very, very soft. He was spoiled at home and was mentally weak and often complained. I have no idea what happened with him at Kansas but it's not surprising to me if the real reason is he didn't mesh well.

Waylon Cook 12 months ago

There is no doubt Bill may be as nice a guy as there is off the court but he is competitive and just a BULLDOG when it comes to coaching. Roy will fold and not fight(it always seemed with Roy we loss very few games but when we did we got our asses KICKED!) Self's losses are heartbreaking, grinding it out, close games. The ones that we got blown out in seem like Self is "teaching" his players a POINT! Get tuff or get embarrassed!

There is no other coach on the planet I want but Mr Bill Self. He deserves another title sooner than later!

Joe Baker 12 months ago

Loves it...

Two things about this interview at the 2:10 mark: He beams when discussing his recruiting with the Jayhawks, and he cut uk from his list. He didn't mince words either. I love this kid and his tenacious attitude, very TRob and Morri-like.

Jack Wilson 12 months ago

Jeff Goodman predicted yesterday Alexander goes to KU.

Hawk8086 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the info., HEM. Man, that would be great. In addition to looking forward to reading about late night, we can also check for updates from the players attending to see if any commit. Always an exciting time.

Joe Baker 11 months, 4 weeks ago

hem- I think we all knew this but to watch and hear this article is music to my ears. That smile at Jayhawk was priceless.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Also, did everyone see that JaQuan Lyle dropped all the way to #40 at ESPN? Turner up to #2.

Okafer 1, Turner 2, Alexander 3 in the rankings. Oubre now 10. Yikes.

Patrick Bryant 11 months, 4 weeks ago

The issue I'm concerned with is the NCAA taking 2 steps forward (recognizing and acting on concussions) and 1 step back (letting an athlete leave sports due to a concussion and then letting them come back). From my limited understanding of concussions he is one elbow on top of his head from an opposing players rebound from being out again and possibly suffering long term consequences. Zach (or anyone for that matter) doesn't need that to live with for the rest of his life. Best of luck to Zach.

Joseph Bullock 11 months, 4 weeks ago

On Peters: There was an obvious problem at K.U. We didn't welcome him back, because we know he did not want to come back! Peters, and K.U., also knew he would be able to play basketball again. For him to go to Arizona, simply let's everyone know his anger towards K.U., as everyone knows they have made it personal with us (maybe because of Jeff coming to Kansas). But we also know their coach is a total jerk (he is not liked at all, by most other coaches, or refs). PS: Rob4: I don't remember you having a problem when Bruce Weber had a mock funeral for Coach Self! Things about you that make me go ---Hmmmmmmm!!!

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Damned well played, TRUBLUE!

Joseph Bullock 11 months, 4 weeks ago

thank you Mr. Jaybate! and I always appreciate your views on things. sometimes we don't agree, but when we don't, we know how to agree, to disagree, and we respect each others opinion, like adults! I wish there were more like you on here!

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

HEM,

It was like Lyle thumbed his nose at the syndicate and he was being down-ranked instead of breaking his fingers.

No, it was like he refused an offer he couldn't refuse....

No, it was like he coulda been uh contendah....

Bryce Landon 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate Arizona?

jaybate 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Between Lute and Stumpy there's been a lot to find annoying.

captku 11 months, 4 weeks ago

So, does he get to be called an "ex-Jayhawk" if he never laced 'em up on gameday? Just a thot. Might need to change this article title.