Thursday, September 26, 2013

Donors to get reserved seats at Late Night

The F.C. "Phog" Allen statue looms over fans waiting to enter the fieldhouse for Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

There’s one sure-fire way to avoid standing in line for first-come, first-served seating at Kansas University’s Late Night in the Phog basketball extravaganza, set for a week from today in Allen Fieldhouse.

It’s by donating a minimum of $10,000 to KU’s Williams Fund.

Fans who donate at the All-American level ($10,000 annually) may reserve two tickets to Late Night. Those who donate at the Champions level ($25,000) can reserve four tickets, while those who give at the Hall of Fame level ($50,000) can reserve six seats.

Exact seat number locations are printed on each ticket, with ushers making sure those designated seats are open until the ticket-holders arrive.

“The total number of tickets being reserved under this plan is give or take 1,100 out of 16,300 seats,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said of the plan, in effect the past couple of seasons. “This is a way for us to recognize and show our appreciation to our major donors who do so much to help us provide the support we give to our coaches and student athletes.

“We are doing so with a very low percentage of the seats in Allen Fieldhouse so we can easily keep the spirit of a free public event while at the same time showing appreciation for these people,” Marchiony added.

The donors’ tickets are “in the second and third tiers. None of these tickets are in the lower courtside bleachers,” Marchiony said of the donor tickets in sections 16, 17 and 18.

KU’s men’s and women’s basketball teams also are allotted tickets for family members of players, coaches and recruits. Generally these seats are in the lower level near the two benches.

Doors for the 29th-annual Late Night will open at 5:30 p.m. a week from today, with the festivities to begin at 6:30. Admission is free, with no tickets to be distributed except for the above-mentioned individuals. Fans are asked to bring nonperishable food items, which KU will donate to Just Food of Douglas County. Just Food will also be outside Allen Fieldhouse taking cash donations for those not able to bring a food item.

Boot Camp FGCU-style: First-year Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley, who worked 10 seasons on Bill Self’s KU coaching staff, brought Self’s Boot Camp conditioning program with him to the Fort Myers, Fla., school.

The Gulf Coast players gathered at 6 a.m., Monday through Friday one week and returned for an encore session the ensuing Monday.

Like at KU, the anticipation of Boot Camp proved stressful for the players.

“He (Dooley) was always saying, ‘The best way to get in shape is just playing basketball,’” Gulf Coast junior Nate Hicks told the Fort Myers News-Press. “But he would always throw in, ‘And we’re going to do a week of Boot Camp.’ We’ve been not looking forward to that for a long time.”

Asked by the News-Press if anybody puked during the rigorous early-morning conditioning workouts, Dooley said: “I would assume. I really don’t pay attention to the minor details.”

Second-year Tulsa coach Danny Manning, by the way, also held Boot Camp again this year. His went for two weeks.

“Boot Camp is about putting our guys in stressful situations — making them work in a duress type of state. We want these guys to become mentally tougher and have them push through some fatigue,” Manning told the Tulsa World.

More on KU’s Boot Camp: Wayne Selden, a 6-foot-5 freshman from Roxbury, Mass., on Wednesday reflected on KU’s recent five-day Boot Camp.

“The first day was toughest day by far. All the older guys really helped us get through it,” Selden said. “We going in had no clue what to expect. You hear about this dreaded Boot Camp.

“The morning of the first Boot Camp ... Boot Camp starts at 6. I woke up at 4:30 in a cold sweat. I couldn’t go back to sleep. I was at the locker at 5 o’clock waiting. We all worked hard and got through it.”

Practice starts today: Basketball season officially begins today, with 30 practices allowed before the first exhibition game. In the past, the season started on the Friday closest to Oct. 15. Since the start of the school year, teams have been able to practice two hours a week in accordance with NCAA rules.

“I’m in favor of it this year. If we have a lot of guys return, I would be against it next year,” Self said of the early start, with a smile.

“I do think the season is too long. But the way they have done it in a way where you don’t have so much stuff to cram in so fast. You can take your time and be a better teacher. Also you don’t have to wear the guy’s body out so much because you can be a day on and two days off until you get your body in shape to practice. It’s going to be a situation where we will work them hard but there is no reason to have a 31⁄2-hour practice this early. We will probably have a hard day followed by a teaching day and so forth.”

The NCAA wanted coaches to be able to work with the players earlier in the semester and at the same time allow players two days of rest per week, in theory the slower pace perhaps limiting injuries.

This also might encourage teams to play a tougher nonconference schedule. With more time to practice, teams in theory could schedule more competitive early-season contests, not needing to tune up against patsies.

“I think for a young team, you’ve got to be careful, because starting Sept. 27 as opposed to Oct. 18, which is what it’d have been this year, that’s a lot more wear and tear,” Self said. “To have a young team, we can get a lot accomplished hopefully before the start of the season maybe where we couldn’t have in the past.”

Player of Year: CBSsports.com on Thursday named KU’s Andrew Wiggins preseason player of the year.

“I’m going to embrace it. I’m going to take it as a challenge. It’s a lot to fulfill,” Wiggins told the website. “But I don’t think anything is out of reach for me.”

Comments

chriz 1 year ago

Nice. Preseason POTY. Hype much?

Go get 'em, Wiggs!

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Not nice in my opinion. He seems well rounded and such, but that's pretty heady stuff for a kid who's never set foot on a college court.

Adam McEwen 1 year ago

Here's my take on this years team, they're going to get punched right in the mouth a bit 4-6 losses, about february they're going to put the pieces together and we will be still playing in April.

Dee Shaw 1 year ago

Funny. 4-6 losses is being punched in the mouth. I remember when 4-6 losses was looked at with success. They play 31 games this year. With your prediction, that would mean they would end the season with a record of 27-4 or 25-6. That my friend is a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. According to you that is being punched in the mouth. Poor choice of words.

Adam Collins 1 year ago

I thought there was always the chance of playing 40 games if you go to the championship game?

Jason Keller 1 year ago

Not really. I think he means 4-6 losses early on. As in maybe losing 4 out of our first 12 games, which could easily happen.

Adam McEwen 1 year ago

Yes, I meant early losses. I think It'll be difficult to win early on with so many new players and the difficult schedule we face. Even with our tremendous talent, I predict it won't look pretty until we have a some time to gel. But once that happens, look out for this team.

texashawk10 1 year ago

KU plays 32 games minimum because of the Big 12 tournament.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

This is really what I hate about these message boards, and I do love them, someone writes 'being punched in the mouth' and you have to call him out on it. We squabble and quibble over the stupidest things sometimes.

Rian Ankerholz 1 year ago

Totally agree, wissoxfan. But as Dad used to say, "Some people would gripe if they were hung with a new rope."

Dee Shaw 1 year ago

Because it's a dumb comment. KU looses 4-6 games this year and they are being punched in the mouth. Pure stupidity. I realize it's an opinion but "Come on Man". Any KU fan would be delighted if this star studded freshmen club along with some vets that are only sophmores and juniors would loose only 4-6 games.

hotrodm 1 year ago

Self will keep this young talented team grounded. No cocky full of themselves players will get to play much. Team play will be the focus and success will follow. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

jaybate 1 year ago

Imagine giving $9,999 and having to stand in line.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Imagine someone not tinkling in your Cheerio's this morning.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

What was your quote last year about the middle class and cruise ships?

:-)

Sorry, but I forget just now.

jhawkrulz 1 year ago

Just don't go chintzy with a $.99 can of food as well.

Mike Bratisax 1 year ago

This is all on you jaybate!

This will definitely decrease the injury potential of first-come seating which is something I believe you stated while posting on a different article.

I think the Chancellor having read your post and thinking about the possible consequences of some kid getting trampled, decided something was needed to reduce the chances of just that happening.

If I wrongly accused you, please accept my sincere apologies. No conspiracy here.

Ryan Houston 1 year ago

This year could be an exciting year or it could be a disappointing year. To start, Late Night in the Phog should be amazing this year. Anticipation around this team is immense. Fans are dying to see a glimpse of what this team can do. There is going to be a scrimmage held, so hopefully these players play with some tenacity. There will be other entreating activities at the show. There will be a talent show, among other things. On a different note, On Andrew Wiggins player of the year. This team and for the most part Wiggins are going to have to ball the f out to win the player of the year award. This just adds more to the giant pill of hype surrounding this team. Another part of this season that could be exciting or disappointing is the non-conference schedule. The game against Duke will be intense, and might be one of HCBS last chances to beat Coach k. There is a lot a tough games ahead, “back to back to back to back”. The big 12 SEC challenge against Florida should have fans on the edges of their seats. Next, we have conference play. OKST could give Ku a run for its money. Baylor should be real tough as well. Ku will need things to really start clicking if they hope to defend their big 12 title run. And finally, we have March madness. Ku will need to play well, extremely well, to get a high seed in this year tournament. The completion is stiff, with teams like Louisville and Kentucky among others this could be the most challenging tournament in years. There is a solid 10 teams that have a great chance at winning the whole thing this year. Depending on Kus success, for this hyped season it could be one to remember, for years to come.

jaybate 1 year ago

"This year could be an exciting year or it could be a disappointing year."

I see a great bureaucratic career in your future. :-)

Ryan Houston 1 year ago

Well my daddy was a sales man. lol

clevelandjayhawker 1 year ago

I just hope in ten years we aren't all saying "Remember when Late Night was free?"

doolindalton 1 year ago

I know first hand that you have to be fabulously wealthy in order for your kid to attend KU for four years without him or her going into debt, but now big money has taken over Late Nite, the once innocent and majestic ceremony to open basketball season started by Larry Brown 30 years or so ago to get fans interested in interested in his team? Ugh!

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Luckily, this hasn''t happened anywhere else in America in the last 20 years!! [Quick, somebody help me...which key is the friendly sarcasm icon????}

doolindalton 1 year ago

Ok, I get it. Since every other university is exploiting its fan base while putting students into overwhelming debt, we should all be happy and approving KU is doing it as well. And there is your friendly sarcasm fix.

Brak 1 year ago

Seriously this has to be one of the most moronic comments I've read here. First of all name any D1 college where one could go to school and not be in debt without mommy and daddy paying for it. Also this just shows how much out of touch you are with the going tuition rates for most other colleges. What about the fact that attending KU is only slightly more expensive than attending Wichita State. Sounds like someone is bitter that they paid for their kid's college and they partied it away.

doolindalton 1 year ago

My kids did and are doing fine, thanks. All of us morons subscribe to the US News and World Report listing of best universities. If you care to look, KU is ranked 101st among national universities and charges higher in-state tuition and fees (over $10,000) than Iowa State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, which of course was not my point, but you asked for a comparison.

RibMan 1 year ago

There are some events that should not have reserved seats. This is one.

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

I think I agree with you on this one. It would seem that at least one basketball event could be for the general population.

moehobart 1 year ago

Late Night is geared to entertain 10 year old kids...who cares? Late Night isn't even late at night anymore. You sit in there for three hours to watch ten minutes of dunks and twenty minutes of basketball. I for one would be more interested in watching an actual practice

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

+100000...especially this season!!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

P.S. for the practice part of the post, that is.

Joe Joseph 1 year ago

Sorry, made my comment before reading this post. Completely agree.

Curtis Stutz 1 year ago

I've been to Late Night and I've been to IU's midnight madness back in Robert Montgomery Knight's days. Assembly Hall was fun, but just watching a regular practice...not that great.

Waylon Cook 1 year ago

Wow some of you chicken littles are funny.

Bill Self is our coach folks. This team is prolly more loaded with NBA talent than any.(granted I know some KU fans think any player rated high in high school is destined for the NBA.......)

Watch out cause this team is going to be SCARY good!

jhawkrulz 1 year ago

I actually think having some reserves seats is a good thing. These are people that donate a lot of money to KU and other funds. I'm sure most of them would make those donations whether they get the 2 seats or not, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal if they get reconginized for such a donation.

Eric TheCapn 1 year ago

The problem I've long had with this situation is that donations to the athletics program is valued MUCH higher than donations to scholarships, departments, or KU Endowment. The athletics department doesn't need help raising money and is the least important part of the school's mission (i.e. Education is more important than sports to all of us, I hope.)

Isn't the biggest reason for having an athletics department to try and raise money to make the school better? With this system, it only makes KU athletics better (theoretically) and those involved richer... those except for the 'amateur' players we all pay to see.

Reward donors to any area of the university equally. KU could ask donors what gifts they want in return for their donations (think public radio/tv). Some would want nothing, some tickets to lectures or other events, and many would want basketball tickets.

Al Martin 1 year ago

I can't say that all donors are rewarded equally in this case, but I do know that some of these seats are going to donors who donated to other areas of the university.

And it is not uncommon for tickets to other events, such as Lied Center events, be given to donors. It just doesn't get reported on sites like this because, really, who cares?

Benz Junque 1 year ago

Why would donors to the Math D3partment deserve seats to a basketball event? I bet the big money academic donors (who are likely the SAME big money athletic donors) also get tickets to any big academic events (if there even are such things).

If you don't think that the money raised and earned by the athletic department doesn';t help out the school and make the school better then you are refusing to acknowledge reality. You are making an issue out of a non-issue.

Dan Cook 1 year ago

I'm sure most had no idea they got Late Night tickets when they donated their big bucks. And thank you to those that donated at any level.

If someone is giving KU $10,000 or more each year, they can have a few Late Night tix in my opinion. Good on them.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] For $75,000, you get to sit on the bench and for $100,000 you get to show the crowd your best windmill dunk!!

2] CBSports Preseason Player of the Year. Please tell me this is not the equivalent of the dreaded Sports Illustrated Cover Curse!!

3] Late Night should be renamed "Not Quite Free Soon To Be Paid Admission In The Early Evening In The Someday To Be Replaced Phog."

4] As an architectural grad of the University of Kansas, I demand to see the plans for new structure for The Rules. If it is anything like Fraser Hall, I will come back to Lawrence in the middle of the night and, personally, tear it down brick by brick!!

5] The line of agents forming to represent Andrew will be double the size of the audience for Late Night. [Andrew, don't pick any agent named Smith]!!

6] The U.S Army is suing Bill Self for copyright infringement rights for using the term "Boot Camp". Proposed alternates include Sneaker Camp, Puke Week, Crap I'm Exhausted Camp, Seven Day Max Exertion Workout, Sweat School and Run, Jump, Shuffle Day Care!!

Joe Joseph 1 year ago

Personally, I think Late Night is over rated. Blasphemy, I know. But it sure is a lot of standing and waiting around for 20/30 (?) minutes of loosely organized scrimmage. Just skip all the skits, and junk, and just play ball.

Brett McCabe 1 year ago

It can be overly long and a little cheesy. Edit it down a bit and I think that it would actually get better.

Eric TheCapn 1 year ago

When I was taking photos at Late Night, the fans actually seemed MOST interested in seeing their famous players and rich-ass coaches out of the sphere of sports, being themselves, being goofy. The pageantry (and fact that it's free) is what sells the event to fans and kids, especially those who go to Allen Fieldhouse regularly already. If it were only the half-tilt scrimmage, you'd have a half-empty arena.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

That's it stupid, give up your KUSports membership!

Greg Lux 1 year ago

Imagine A Wiggins being POY and not being the leading scorer on the team. Selden is going to cause some havoc, Ellis is going to be strong from 5 to 15 feet. Frankamp is probably going to break the big 12 3 point resord. Embiid is the unknow raw talent. Greene is another outside threat. Mason another unknown bulldog. The one thing I see that is most glaring is that this team will be almost impossible to double team. With the scoring talent I don't see anyway to double team anyone. Yes we are going to make mistakes. Yes we are going to play dumb at times. But the raw talent of this team will carry them far if they believe in themselves and can buy into HCBS team concept and not get lost in individual players trying to win the game by himself. I don't see that happening with the bench we have available for a player to spend some time thinks about what the coach tells them.

Rock Chalk

Benz Junque 1 year ago

Frankamp isn't going to get enough PT this year to break any records. Maybe the career record, but not a single season record this year.

And Wiggins will be our leading scorer this year. Think about all the games that McLemore disappeared in last year and still averaged 15_ppg and led the team. Anyone think that Wiggins is going to disappear for games like that at any point? He'll have several 20 point HALVES this year when he has a matchup he can exploit.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

I wonder if Coach Self likes Late Night?

I wonder if they'll at least let me stand outside for my Last Place Club donation?

I wonder if anyone remembers the '88 team's Late Night where they sang "Kansas City Here We Come" prophetically?

I wonder if Wiggins saying he's going to try to prove CBS right is a good thing or a bad thing?

I wonder if the better 'first' practice to watch would be todays, and not next weeks?

I wonder if Jaybate wrote something here and no one responded to it if it would actually count as a KUSports post?

I wonder if a year from now we'll be debating KU's chances for a two-peat?

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Yes, Yes, No, Good Thing, todays, yes..unless a tree was falling in the woods, hell yes!!

jaybate 1 year ago

Let's get a psy-ops grant for the kids down at Tulsa U's cyber spy program and get some empirics behind this metaphysical contemplation about non-responses to my posts!!!

:-)

Rian Ankerholz 1 year ago

Just a thought on Wayne Selden's quote. He woke up at 4:30a in a cold sweat and got to his locker by 5:00. That kind of visceral feeling tells me that the guy cares! That's the kind of guy I want in a Kansas uniform. Go Wayne! The effort will pay off.

Suzi Marshall 1 year ago

Struck me exactly the same way. Shows that kid has a heart!

JayhawkRock78 1 year ago

16,300 seats, and 1,100 set aside for our biggest donors. That's over 15,000 free remaining. I have zero problems with that. Big backers, I thank you!

Jack Wilson 1 year ago

Now here's a guy with some common sense. Great post.

jaybate 1 year ago

"Some Things You Get for Donating < $10K:"

Part 1

~a porta potty from a 1985 deck boat on Lake Perry.

~old Bill Self rugs woven into geriatric absorbent panty liners.

~recycled trash bag liners from the last five boot camps melted down into imitation barf piles mounted on varnished cotton wood plaques.

~a nine piece CD set of rants by Bruce Webber shouting, "Why can't I be as good as Bill?" and other things that would violate the KUSports.com user agreement.

~Norm Roberts private journal indicating the top nine rowdiest things he, Self and Gillispie did in the early years.

~A 6,000 lineal feet Illuminati scroll listing all the violations UK has committed that have not yet been discovered.

~A YouTube feed of a little seen take of Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" in which he accidentally shouted: "The truth, I can't handle the truth."

~A treasure map leading to the Naismith Rules now reputedly located in a mine deep under Bavaria along with a lot of the missing gold from the Federal Reserve.

~A quick-and-easy-to-use solar powered rosetta stone for unlocking all the secrets of the past including, but not limited to, the Kennedy Assassination.

~a box of widely suppressed historical documents indicating that the Archduke Ferdinand was, before his assassination, successfully promoting the formation of a Federal Republic of Balkan states; one that would have been a constitutional republic and that would have lead to a popular government and sovereign state that would have displaced the Habsburg Empire's and the Ottoman Empire's and The Russian Empire's divided, contested control of the western terminus of the Silk Road Route aka the Dardenelles and the Bosporus, at the time that known oil reserves in the Balkans, the Caspian Basin, Turkey and the Middle East were beginning to be hotly contested by the then Four Great Powers of Europe; and that he was shot by a team of professional terrorists, not unlike Al Qaeda of today, rather than by a few crazies.

~an autographed copy of Walter Millis' unwisely forgotten Third Printing version of a 1956 copyright book "Arms and Men: A Study of American Military History" with Chapter VII, pages 308-326, The Future of War, one long highlighted remark, constituting the backstory necessary for understanding the mindset that has lead our nation's civilian and military leaders into acting as a national security state endlessly repeating undeclared, limited warfare and the military and economic predicaments these actions unleash.

LakeShawnee 1 year ago

"A 6,000 lineal fee Illuminati scroll" = brilliant prose.

Your tilde second from bottom of this post, now wouldn't that be something?

Lake Shawnee,

In fact, Ferd WAS apparently doing exactly what I described, according to a number of more recent histories, but this angle is just touched on and never really put in any context the way I just did. And the guys that clipped Ferd had just committed another political assassination shortly before Ferd. I haven't found incontrovertible evidence for them being pros, just as I have not found incontrovertible evidence for them being amateurs. But since they clipped some one else just a few days before, it seems like it was more a days work for them than driven by a binge drinking episode. :-)

The federal balkan republic being promoted by Ferd had infuriated the folks up in Austria, and perhaps Bismark's Federal Republic of Germany, which the Kaiser had grabbed back quite a bit of control of, were apparently worried about it too. They had an agenda down there, as a lot of others did, and still do, as iI will get to shortly.

Obviously, the Ottoman Turks were ticked, as well, because at the time, the southern part of the Balkans were under Ottoman Turk control. Gee, I wonder if Great Britain, who had long wanted unlimited access through the straits, and USA, which was trying to keep Great Britain from cornering all the oil in the Middle East for global transhipment through its Suez Canal, decided to sponsor a little republican movement down Balkans way? Or maybe just USA?

The idea that WWI was nothing more than an accidental cascade of mobilizations due to secret alliances has always been a bizarred oversimplification to cover up the power play for control of the region--both for its strategic location and for its oil and oil transhipment advantages.

World War I was about control of that region and the Mid East and about about oil and its transhipment. It was only fought in Northern and Central Europe, because the Great Powers that wanted the benefits of control were there.

But the war went so badly, that it had to be blamed on other than what it was about, or the oilcos and those that financed them would have been big time targets for post war culpability. It was easier to scapegoat the Kaiser, who is on record as having said he never wanted the war, and who finally abdicated to try to bring it to an end, than to take the responsibility.

Part 2

And since there was no credible evidence and paper trail that the Kaiser was actually responsible for starting the war, it became necessary to dream up this absurd fantasy about cascading mobilizations based on secret alliances.

We know this is phoney baloney, because all of the states in Europe and the Balkans had long maintained intelligence networks and spied on each other, and because all of the royalties were intermarried between kingdoms and states and so those high up knew exactly who had alliances with whom and which ones did not.

The Matrix we live in today did not start with the Wachowski Brothers. And it did not start out as a digital phenomenon IMHO.

Rock oil pumped commercially just before the Civil War commenced, started the regime change that has been cascading down through the decades ever since.

Rock oil. USA had to build a two ocean Navy and a canal to sustain the monopoly of it. To sell it as kerosene and lubricant all over the world as it was doing by the Spanish American War.

Rock oil. GB had to corner all the oil leaks/reserves beyond USA to break the USA monopoly of refined oil products.

Rock oil. Germany had to get some of its own by land, if it were to keep its industrial revolution from being strangled off by dependence on foreign sources.

Rock oil. You could get it by land in Ploesti in the Balkans, in the Caspian, and in the Middle East. You didn't need ships to get there. The great Navies of GB and USA couldn't stop you by land. The Great Powers of Europe thus build citizen land armies hinged on mass mobilization at a moments notice.

Rock oil. You had to have it in huge quantities to fuel and lubricate the industrial revolution and the military forces necessary to enforce the transnational economic contracts of industrial production.

Rock oil. The Habsburg Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and the Russian Empire shared divided control and military support of the Balkans and the Ottomans largely controlled the Middle East. Why was Lawrence of Arabia fighting the Ottoman Turks with Arabs? Control of the transhipment points and the Texas Tea down there.

Rock oil. You had to get rid of the Habsburgs, the Ottomans, and back the Russians out of the region to control the oil supply. Back the Russians out of the region, deny them warm water ports, and they couldn't get their own oil out year round.

By the end of WWI, the Habsburg Empire was gone, the Ottoman Empire was largely gone. The Russians were backed out of the region. And Germany was used to take the fall for a killing spectacle of unimaginable proportions.

Part 3

And Great Britain, which saw unforeseen consequences bogging them down in trench warfare, was so sapped by "victory", that after the war, it had to give up its dreams to stay top dog, and corner the world's oil away from USA, and it had to go joint venture with the USA.

The context of WWI was triggered by a competition among USA, GB and Germany to corner the worlds oil reserves.

The war itself started because Arch Ferd was being underwritten in his efforts to start a Federal Republic of the Balkans that would have denied continued shared control of the pinch point region to the Habsburgs, the Ottomans, and the Russians.

Qui bono from such a republic? USA at the very least.

Qui bono stopping such a republic? Anyone of the Russians, the Ottomans and the Habsburgs.

Once the deed was done, all players were forced into trying to get, or keep, control of the Balkans by fighting where ever force structure and new military technology dictated.

Rock oil.

Can't live without enough of it.

Can't live in control at all if someone else hostile gets ahold of it.

Or so the thinking inside the box has always gone...since the private oligarchy began contemplate competing to see who could corner it.

There endeth the speculations.

Note: entirely without the conspiracy of "unknown secret alliances," just plain old competition for a critically useful raw material, and critical transhipment points, rather as goes on today. :-)

jaybate 1 year ago

~a trendy camie basketball jersey with former SecState Zbigniew Brzezinski's willfully ironic words written on the back that only show up when excited by H.A.A.R.P emissions: "In earlier times it was easier to control a million people than physically to kill a million people. Today it is infinitely easier to kill a million people than to control a million people."

~The only known copy of an unpublished manuscript of "Basketball and Its Discontents" by Sigmeund Freud and Carl Jung, plus a just discovered transcript of a meeting of James Naismith, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung at the Bierstube in 1909, while Freud and Jung were on their ways to doing junk in Taos, Pueblo, in which Freud first uttered the remark that KU basketball will one day be characterized by a C.G. Jung as a "living myth, but no one will believe him and so in frustration he will write Mysterium Coniunctionis."

~An autographed copy of a limited edition run of 500 copies of OakvilleJHawk's "Lists Eponymous."

~A vintage bottle of daisy wine made from daisies collected on Daisy Hill using water from Potter's Lake, and a goodly number of emergency water purification pills, plus Daddy Sugar from France.

(Note: there are smatterings of truths above, but mostly it is fiction sans malice.)

jaybate News Service (jns):

Dateline: Not now, not the net either.

Slug: Anti-grower sets Anti-giving record

JNS stringers in western Kansas just reported that Harley Von Redschtatten, a Kansas wheat farmer paid by Federal subsidy not to grow more Kansas wheat than any other farmer not growing wheat in western Kansas, just set the record for most monies not donated to KUAD and the basketball program. Von Redschtatten did not give over $25 Million dollars.

(Note: all fiction and no malice and with apologies for ripping off the still dead Joseph Heller.)

jaybate 1 year ago

Dang! Practice starting is revving me up!

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

And one of the comments is a Kucky fan saying we paid Wiggins!

jaybate 1 year ago

Wissox, was it Senator Mitch McKuckall who alleged that, or WWW?

Ryan Houston 1 year ago

Andrew Wiggins should pay heed to these wise words. If he wants to win the play of the year award. "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"- kevin Durant

mikehawk 1 year ago

I don't care how mature a young man Andrew Wiggins is, and he does appear to have a great deal of maturity, he can't help but be affected by the hype of this magnitude. The pressure will either increase because he is as good as advertised, or it will increase because he isn't living up to the hype. If he can just listen and learn from the voices of the coaches, and be a good teammate who wants nothing more than the team and his teammates to succeed, he will be fine. But if he gets caught up in it, it could be a long season for him. Ironically, if he starts to feel the pressure, so will the rest of the team.

kufanman88 1 year ago

My starting five and nine man rotation:

PG: Naadir SG: Selden SF: Wiggins PF: Ellis C/PF: Black

Other four: Traylor Frankamp Embiid Greene

Possible RS: Mason Possible transfer at end of the season: Andrew White

Dee Shaw 1 year ago

Like your starting 5. Props on starting Black. I thought signing him for one year was huge. I think he will bring experience and confidence to this squad.

Not sure on Mason red shirting. I would say Frankamp might red shirt before Mason. Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

Hope Andrew White would not transfer. Kid has a great looking shot. I noticed lately that Self has made it a point to comment on Andrew and tell how well he did in Boot Camp. Not sure if that is to stroke the kids ego or what.

kufanman88 1 year ago

I think Frankamp will surprise some, but no one that saw him beat 2014 #1 PG, Tyus Jones off the USA Under 17 world championship team has many doubts...

Conner "White Chocolate" Frankamp, a 6-1 guard from Wichita, Kan., bounced a ball, caught it midflight, twirled 360 degrees and dunked leisurely while his teammates nodded in approval.

kufanman88 1 year ago

In terms of Andrew White, the fact that Coach Self is making such an effort to compliment his progress but not make inferences of playing time has me thinking he has been discussing a transfer. He came on the record that he did not want to transfer, but as you know if you are having to clarify your position it means that the rumors are flying-which may or may not be derived from his own comments.

Slayr,

Self's house is reputedly 23,000 sf. His kids are out of the house now. Move Bill and a into nice pair of downsized cribs--one in Lawrence on a g.c. and one in the Carribean; then convert their house to the new hoops dorm. :-)

KEITHMILES05 1 year ago

If you read closely KUAC says donors are given reserved tickets to Late Night on the criteria of current giving and NOT point totals. That is very deceiving and sad because if you stop and think about it then it should be on total giving and not one years giving. Disappointing Dr. Zenger doesn't view the long term effects of loyal donors instead of flash in the pan giving.

Steve Brown 1 year ago

You would be correct if the previous Ad crew didn't funny up the point totals and assign random points for odd events and missing history. Don't tell me I'm off base, I was offered creative points for no cash for my 'memory' of what I gave in the 80's.in return for better seats in FB and BB. Declined it. Can you say AIG Enron and Lehman Bros.

captku 1 year ago

Where is John Brown when you need him? Free Late Night. Free the students, free the temptation to charge admission, and free the prime-time slot. It's emancipation time to get us back to the "Late Night with Larry Brown" type of variety show and practice. I like the "Late Night in the Phog" title, but let's put it back to midnight, and let the students have a safe and late activity to be a part of. I think we went the wrong way with it in trying to make it available for the masses and moved it from midnight. And keep it free for all: F - R - E - E, that spells "free"... Donors, see you in line at 11pm to rub shoulders with the students to keep continuity and perspective! Rock chalk, and Free Late Night!

jaybate 1 year ago

There is a lot of damned handwringing going on about Late Night being turned into a part of the money making apparatus. This is unmanly and unJayhawkly.

Kansans have never lived in the past.

The motto is "to the stars through difficulty," not back to the future.

What we need here is a brand spanking new socially unacceptable celebration that Self and Staff hatch as LB and his staff hatched.

Let the rich old fogies on their statins have their pasteurized white bread and mayo Late Night.

Let Self and the team and the current amped up generation of KU students start something completely new!

Always flank boredom and rectitude. Never try to reverse it. Go around it. Leap ahead of it.

Think NEXT!

In fact, how about "After Midnight!"

Or better yet, steal Quentin Tarrantino's old movie title: "Dusk to Dawn."

Set up some baskets out on a Kaw river sand bar and stage the wildest basketball game on a sand bar combined with a kegger ever!!!!!

Think outside the box.

The current students and the graduate assistants on staff will know what will work. LISTEN TO THEM!!!!

THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR A NEW, IRREVERENT PARTY!

Everyone knows the country is on the brink of some nonlinear change again. The youngin's are the ones turn turn to for fresh ideas in times like these.