Monday, September 23, 2013

KU, Texas Tech to kickoff at 11 a.m. Oct. 5

The Kansas University football team is off this week, serving its second and final bye week of the 2013 season. But the Jayhawks will return to the field Saturday Oct. 5 for a 11 a.m. kickoff against Texas Tech in the Jayhawks' Big 12 Conference opener.

The game time was announced by the Big 12 Monday morning.

The game will be televised on Fox Sports 1, marking the second game in a row for KU on the new channel.

Comments

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

Unfortunately this will be the norm throughout the season since the lowest interest games are broadcast early. Ruins the fun of pre-game tailing gating.

gorilla10 1 year, 2 months ago

Have to earn it...We win, better start times! We lose, 11 AM with a weak crowd is what we get.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

UT game will be a 6pm kickoff, but that's because of tgat game being on LHN.

Gary McCullough 1 year, 2 months ago

LHN is turning out to be a prison rather than rainbows and unicorns. Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for.

Brad Farha 1 year, 2 months ago

That game time is already set at 2:30pm CT.

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

We have a better chance of upsetting people in these early games at home rather than 2:30 or nighttime kickoffs.

shelleysue 1 year, 2 months ago

These early games give you an opportunity to tailgate before AND after the game. Double the fun!! I live 2 1/2 hours away. If I can do it, you can do it! Rock Chalk!

Hawks_14 1 year, 2 months ago

Another great morning of mimosas and breakfast food before the game!

Gary McCullough 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm just glad I can get the game. Big XII dogs haven't had much love from the networks since realignment.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I understand it is frustrating that not every game is nationally televised, but the Big XII actually came out of this pretty well from a TV standpoint, and that goes for KU as well. KU was on Fox1 this week, will be on Fox1 next week, was on CBSSports against Rice, and then the opening game was Jayhawk Network. The only game there not nationally televised was the one on JHN, but even that was available online and with certain cable packages.

Look at Missouri in the big bad SEC. Their first game was on pay per view, the second one may have been as well, and their game this past weekend was on the Big Ten network. As bad as KU has been in football for the last several years, the fact that all of their games have been on non-pay per view TV is pretty remarkable. You couldn't have said that a few years ago. Not even close.

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

I like the early games. Wake up, cook a big breakfast, clean up and then pop a cold one.

Nick Adams 1 year, 2 months ago

Everyone has a different set of circumstances and family dynamics, but I'm telling you its not the poor product that will make me end my season tickets. It will be another season full of 11:00am kickoffs.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

Funny that everyone complains about the 11 a.m. games and how horrible they are but no one complains about a noon start for the Chiefs. Does one hour make that big of a difference? Greatest Tailgating Experience in Football v. I'm Going to Cancel My Season Tickets? When did we become so self-entitled?

Hopefully it will be a great fall Saturday on the hill with sunshine and breakfast food for the pre-game tailgate and brats for the after-game tailgate. And of course, your favorite beverage for both.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Don’t see the problem with 11am. The Chiefs have played the majority of their games at noon since I can remember. Doesn’t seem to keep the fans out of Arrowhead as long as they are winning.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought the late 5-7PM kick-offs were fairly new. It seems like only 4-5 years ago almost all the games were either 11 AM or 2:30 PM kick-offs. It seems like recently the 11, 2:30, 5, 7, and if you are west coast the 9 PM came about.

If anybody wants to complain to bad, we could have made it to the PAC2000 and some of our games would be at that 9 PM. In addition, if we were east coast, I noticed that there are games now starting at the 10-10:30 AM slot.

I like the 11 AM personally, but don't mind the 2:30.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 2 months ago

The new FOX1 sports channel was very good on Saturday. I was in Phoenix, so the telecast was an unexpected godsend. The previous week KU appeared on the CBS sports channel, also new I believe. So, from my perspective, TV coverage has been great for early season, nonessential (from national interest) football games. I am thankful.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

The issue with 11am is usually kids activities: soccer, football, volleyball, etc., etc. The 6pm starts are generally very good for families to attend.

Not complaining, just answering some responses, above.

You can't please everyone but I will say, that after Wyman's kick, I think that the party started all over again, so the 11am kick was good for the bartenders.

Nick Adams 1 year, 2 months ago

And finally someone has a sensible thought on this rather than just bashing people for expressing their opinion.

namohcan_99 1 year, 2 months ago

I actually like the early morning games. It seemed to work well this week.

VaJay 1 year, 2 months ago

The time of the kickoff is not important - more like how difficult the opponent is going to be. Even playing at home, we will probably be a 2 touchdown underdog. I hope CW is thinking up all sorts of new wrinkles for our offense, because we will need to score quite a few points to have a shot at this one.

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

I ll take a win at 3 am if I can get it.

notigers4me 1 year, 2 months ago

I am glad that we can watch the Hawks from a distance. It wasn't too long ago that we had no hope of being on the tube. I can't understand why folks are complaining about 11:00 A.M start times.

jayhawk925 1 year, 2 months ago

As was said above, we have to earn the afternoon and prime time slots. As one who can get to many games, I would most definitely prefer an 11 am game that is televised vs a game (at any time) that is not on TV.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

When I was at KU we went to games no matter the time because that's what you do. If you can't be at the game you watch it no matter the time because that's what you do.

Circumstances arise when you can't like being deployed so for some of you shut your pie hole and be happy the game is on and that you get the chance to watch it.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes . . . let the hate flow through you . . .

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

NOOOOOOO! Lol I laughed at your reply. Nice come back, rock chalk

Gary Denning 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't care for the early games. I live 2 hours from Lawrence and would rather not get up at 6 on a Saturday in order to have a little time to tailgate. I suppose TV revenues and early starts are a fact of life for college football, but I don't have to be happy about it.