Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chicago guard Charles Matthews keeps KU hoops on his list

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Charles Matthews, a 6-foot-4 junior combo guard from Chicago St. Rita High School who is ranked No. 11 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, on Saturday included Kansas University on his revised list of 10 schools.

Matthews via Twitter listed KU, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Marquette, Michigan State, Ohio State, SMU, Stanford and Wisconsin.

“It has been exciting to see the growth of Charles over the past few years,” St. Rita coach Gary Decesare told Zagsblog.com. “He is a very hard worker who tries to get better every day. He can play anywhere in the country and is one of the best players in his class. He can control a game in so many ways with his tremendous versatility.”

Alexander won’t be attending Kentucky: Cliff Alexander, a 6-foot-9 senior forward from Chicago Curie High who is ranked No. 4 in the Class of 2014, told Scott Burgess of ChicagoHoops.com that Kentucky is no longer on his list of schools.

Alexander is considering KU, Illinois, Memphis, Michigan State, Arizona and DePaul. He said he might pick a school in the “middle of December” and sign in April.

Of KU, Alexander said: “It’s going pretty good so far. I have known coach Howard (Jerrance, KU assistant) since he was at Illinois. He’s the guy that offered me my first scholarship so I love him for that. Coach (Bill) Self was at my house last week talking to my parents, building a relationship with my parents.”

Alexander, who will visit KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog, reiterated he wants to play college ball with JaQuan Lyle, a guard who recently decommitted from Louisville. It is believed KU, which has several other guards on its list, is not recruiting Lyle at this time.

ESPN on one and dones: ESPN over the weekend wrote about the “top one and done flight risks,” that is, players most likely to leave college for the NBA after one season — this season. Writer Jeff Goodman included KU’s Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden on the list of top flight risks.

Of Wiggins, Goodman wrote: “He enters the season as the consensus projected No. 1 overall pick. The long, athletic Canadian wing thrives in transition, and while he’ll be erratic for Bill Self this season, he won’t ever fall too far down draft boards — even if he doesn’t dominate on most nights. Wiggins has a mediocre perimeter shot and his motor is questionable at times, but the NBA drafts on potential, which Wiggins has no shortage of. He’s basically a lock to leave Lawrence after one season.”

Of Embiid, Goodman wrote: “He’s a 7-footer who is exceptionally skilled but also extremely raw. It’s going to take time for Embiid. He might not put up monster numbers playing on a team with Wiggins, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis and veteran big man Tarik Black. However, the NBA loves big men with potential -- and Embiid is the poster child for that combination. It might be difficult for Self to keep Embiid for more than one season.”

Of Selden, Goodman wrote: “He’s a big, strong wing who brings toughness and an improved perimeter shot to the table. Selden has been Kansas’ best player in the offseason, and those close to the KU program will be surprised if he’s in Lawrence for more than a season. Selden is a power guard who should be able to compete physically at the NBA level. NBA teams will love his improved body and the consistency on his outside shot.”

Others: Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson, James Young, Kentucky; Aaron Gordon, Arizona; Jabari Parker, Duke; Noah Vonieh, Indiana; Jarell Martin, LSU.

Wiggins, by the way, took part in camps for youths in El Dorado and Wichita over the weekend with his brother, Nick of Wichita State, plus KU’s Perry Ellis, Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp and others.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Regarding the comments above about Illini not able to get Chicago-area talent...they most certainly did at one time: when Bill Self was the coach! In Self's book, he mentioned a brief pause he had in considering the "Kansas job", because he "had that Chicago pipeline working sooo well...". My point is its all about recruiting: Brucee Weber couldnt recruit. Still cant recruit. He will be gone after another 2-3yrs in Manlesshattan (that's IF the KState AD is truly serious about building a contender...Weber's recruiting class is absolutely dismal this season...). Bill Self signed Julian Wright out of Chicago sight-unseen in Lawrence/KUcampus/AFH...but one could say Julian in Chicago still knew of Self from his Illini success 2-3yrs prior--> so it makes my point that Self's success at Illini carried over to his ability to sign Julian Wright + Sherron Collins out of Chicago...which then allowed us to get Mario Little (who was a little dinged-up). And now, just by reputation/cred, Bill Self has an audience with almost any recruit he wants to visit.

baldwinbulldawg 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I'll say it one more time. Hate, Hate, Hate the one and done rule the NBA has. I understand why you go after these players. But if they would rather go pro out of high school fine, go for it. If you decide to go to college then give them 3 years. Seems to work for baseball just fine.

Ryan Houston 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Every year there are big expectations in Lawrence. This year is no different. To start out the year with such a tough schedule it should be enough to prepare The Jayhawks for the road ahead. With this young talented team matches up against Duke, and Florida it should help push this team to its limits early, and help HCBS find what he needs to get this team clicking. It should get them prepared, for Big 12 play. The Big 12 is ours, and the 10th straight title seems to be in arms reach again this year. With such hype surrounding Wiggins it will be interesting to see how he matches up against the likes of Marcus Smart, or Baylor’s Isiah Austin. This team has final four potential. With Andrew Wiggins being the most highly touted player out of high school since LeBron James. Kansas has a loaded bench. And The Jayhawks have some experienced players like Perry Elise who should contribute big time to this year’s team. This should be an exciting year to be a JayHawk.

William Blake 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Clips on Matthews look really good. And he'd have 2 years of development before wearing a Jayhawk uniform.

Imagine him after Hudy...

Nice touch!

Michael Auchard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It sure seems like Bill is kicking major butt in recruiting the last 18 months or so. Awesome.

Joe Joseph 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm going to be very disappointed if both Embiid and Selden leave after one season. But I've already started bracing myself. Really looking forward to watching them play and develop.

Steve Gantz 6 months, 3 weeks ago

My more random thoughts than Oak...

All this talent out of Chicago recently means if Groce wants to keep his job longer than Webber, he better not let these kids leave the state. He needs to change the mindset of the kids that the U of I is not a 2nd rate hoops stop.

Anytime Kentucky loses out on a kid it makes me smile. It's a terrible way to live, but I do enjoy watching them lose however the case may be.

If Embiid goes after this year, and if the article is stated correctly that he may go even though he doesn't receive a lot of playing time, we're all going to regret we didn't get a chance to see him blossom into a superstar here instead of blossoming at the far end of the bench in some NBA backwaters.

Self seems to be embracing the recruiting landscape of OAD's as a necessary evil. I think he'd much rather recruit the 3-4 year guys.

My friend here is a Louisiana Tech grad. He told me LATech is really bad this year. I believe him now.

It's good to be a Jayhawk, don't you think?

William Blake 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe KU is talking to Lyle... I'm not sure an offer has been made.

One factor is that Lyle has dropped out of one obligation. Self wants to make sure we don't sign these guys, meanwhile losing status on other top recruits, and then experience these guys change their minds (again with Lyle).

I believe the offer will come if we develop a relationship with Alexander that is tight enough to keep him if Lyle changes his mind again. And/or... developing a relationship with Lyle good enough to understand him if he doesn't start his freshman year. We've all read the article about how some players are proned to multiple transfers.

One problem is that there is no guarantee Lyle will be able to take the PG position away from senior Tharpe.

Self has slowed it down to better understand both of these players and wants to make sure we use our offers wisely.

Ron Prichard 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure if Bedore is right or wrong, but for what it's worth if you read the prior KUSports article (referenced by Jhaux above) and the Bleacherreport article (also above) neither one says KU has offered Lyle. They both indicate KU is Lyle's favorite and that he plans to visit. I would assume that implies KU has offered, but that isn't stated in either article.

The ESPN sites posted by HEM both DO indicate KU has offered Lyle and that he will be here on 10/4/13 for Late Night, which is contrary to what KUSports/Bedore has indicated in both articles.

If Lyle, who appears to be very talented himself, is the key to Alexander, a top 5 pick, I can't imagine we wouldn't at least make an offer. If you could add Lyle, Alexander and Oubre that would be a pretty good class.

Konkis Dongington III 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Bedore is definitely wrong about Lyle. We are recruiting him and he is expected as a guest at Late Night.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] BOOM!!! Alexander dismisses Kentucky...is that the KU Fight song I hear on his phone ring???

2] Since this post is random, I wonder how many people stuck around long enough to see "The Kick" Saturday at Memorial.

3] Teams we have the best chance of beating this football season...WV [surprisingly bad], ISU [not a powerhouse], Texas Tech [catch a frosh QB on an off day in our house], KSU [we've got to beat them sooner or later, right??!!].

4] Teams we have the best chance of beating this basketball season.......ANYONE!!!

5] Looks like having scholarships for next season won't be a problem for Kansas...looks like at least 5 or so. Alexander, Okafor, Jones, Lyle and Turner...come on down!!!

Robert Brock 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't see how Bedore keeps his job.

JayHawkFanToo 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I am not sure where Bedore get his information but every recruiting source has KU pursuing Lyle. Lyle himself has indicated that KU is at the top of his list mentioning his relationship with Coach Howard. ESPN has him as attending Late Night and having an offer from KU.

Here is a good source with a nice summary:

I understand that he has some baggage but he would be hard to pass, particularly if he is a package with Alexander.

melrank 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Gary - love these recruiting updates! Thanks.

Jaquan Lyle not being recruited? That is in sharp contrast to other sources that have Coach visiting him last week and offering him a scholarship. Is he coming to Late Night just because Coach wants Cliff to have someone to hang with? I don't doubt your source but some additional explanation to this apparent contradiction would be appreciated.

CaptnMo 6 months, 3 weeks ago

KU is not recruiting Lyle at this time? Seems like there is more to this because he would lock Alexander in for us.

Is it as simple as fit or maybe HCBS knows of a another duo leaning our way?

Scott MacWilliams 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I can't say I'm ready to hear about kids who are still more than a year away from getting to college, frankly. Somehow it just seems too far down the road to really interest me. Give me a shout when they're ready to sign, OK?

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear a little more about the current Hawks helping out with kids at camps THIS WEEK. I mean, being a little kid at a hoops camp with TWO Wiggins, Ellis, Frankamp, & Mason?? How cool would that be, now really!!! Wish I could have been there...

Ready for Late Night here, for sure!