Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chicago guard Charles Matthews keeps KU hoops on his list

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Charles Matthews, a 6-foot-4 junior combo guard from Chicago St. Rita High School who is ranked No. 11 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, on Saturday included Kansas University on his revised list of 10 schools.

Matthews via Twitter listed KU, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Marquette, Michigan State, Ohio State, SMU, Stanford and Wisconsin.

“It has been exciting to see the growth of Charles over the past few years,” St. Rita coach Gary Decesare told Zagsblog.com. “He is a very hard worker who tries to get better every day. He can play anywhere in the country and is one of the best players in his class. He can control a game in so many ways with his tremendous versatility.”

Alexander won’t be attending Kentucky: Cliff Alexander, a 6-foot-9 senior forward from Chicago Curie High who is ranked No. 4 in the Class of 2014, told Scott Burgess of ChicagoHoops.com that Kentucky is no longer on his list of schools.

Alexander is considering KU, Illinois, Memphis, Michigan State, Arizona and DePaul. He said he might pick a school in the “middle of December” and sign in April.

Of KU, Alexander said: “It’s going pretty good so far. I have known coach Howard (Jerrance, KU assistant) since he was at Illinois. He’s the guy that offered me my first scholarship so I love him for that. Coach (Bill) Self was at my house last week talking to my parents, building a relationship with my parents.”

Alexander, who will visit KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog, reiterated he wants to play college ball with JaQuan Lyle, a guard who recently decommitted from Louisville. It is believed KU, which has several other guards on its list, is not recruiting Lyle at this time.

ESPN on one and dones: ESPN over the weekend wrote about the “top one and done flight risks,” that is, players most likely to leave college for the NBA after one season — this season. Writer Jeff Goodman included KU’s Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden on the list of top flight risks.

Of Wiggins, Goodman wrote: “He enters the season as the consensus projected No. 1 overall pick. The long, athletic Canadian wing thrives in transition, and while he’ll be erratic for Bill Self this season, he won’t ever fall too far down draft boards — even if he doesn’t dominate on most nights. Wiggins has a mediocre perimeter shot and his motor is questionable at times, but the NBA drafts on potential, which Wiggins has no shortage of. He’s basically a lock to leave Lawrence after one season.”

Of Embiid, Goodman wrote: “He’s a 7-footer who is exceptionally skilled but also extremely raw. It’s going to take time for Embiid. He might not put up monster numbers playing on a team with Wiggins, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis and veteran big man Tarik Black. However, the NBA loves big men with potential -- and Embiid is the poster child for that combination. It might be difficult for Self to keep Embiid for more than one season.”

Of Selden, Goodman wrote: “He’s a big, strong wing who brings toughness and an improved perimeter shot to the table. Selden has been Kansas’ best player in the offseason, and those close to the KU program will be surprised if he’s in Lawrence for more than a season. Selden is a power guard who should be able to compete physically at the NBA level. NBA teams will love his improved body and the consistency on his outside shot.”

Others: Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson, James Young, Kentucky; Aaron Gordon, Arizona; Jabari Parker, Duke; Noah Vonieh, Indiana; Jarell Martin, LSU.

Wiggins, by the way, took part in camps for youths in El Dorado and Wichita over the weekend with his brother, Nick of Wichita State, plus KU’s Perry Ellis, Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp and others.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't say I'm ready to hear about kids who are still more than a year away from getting to college, frankly. Somehow it just seems too far down the road to really interest me. Give me a shout when they're ready to sign, OK?

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear a little more about the current Hawks helping out with kids at camps THIS WEEK. I mean, being a little kid at a hoops camp with TWO Wiggins, Ellis, Frankamp, & Mason?? How cool would that be, now really!!! Wish I could have been there...

Ready for Late Night here, for sure!

Dee Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Something is not right when you are reading on a kid that KU is recruiting and he is a freshmen in the class of 2017. I get that you need to be active and start young with these kids but 2017. Just seems weird to me.

Steven Mathew 1 year, 2 months ago

Where did you get 2017 from in this article? Did I miss it?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Um, 2015...not 2017. Player that is a Jr. in High School right now. That doesn't seem too far off to me. 2017? Yeah, I agree with you.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah..2015 is the last dated list but I'd be willing to bet that coaches and scouts are making informal contacts with kids younger than that.

CaptnMo 1 year, 2 months ago

KU is not recruiting Lyle at this time? Seems like there is more to this because he would lock Alexander in for us.

Is it as simple as fit or maybe HCBS knows of a another duo leaning our way?

melrank 1 year, 2 months ago

Gary - love these recruiting updates! Thanks.

Jaquan Lyle not being recruited? That is in sharp contrast to other sources that have Coach visiting him last week and offering him a scholarship. Is he coming to Late Night just because Coach wants Cliff to have someone to hang with? I don't doubt your source but some additional explanation to this apparent contradiction would be appreciated.

jhawkart 1 year, 2 months ago

I have seen no recruiting service state that Self has visited Lyle. Lyle has not been invited to Late Night either. Rumor has it that Lyle has some baggage.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

I am not sure where Bedore get his information but every recruiting source has KU pursuing Lyle. Lyle himself has indicated that KU is at the top of his list mentioning his relationship with Coach Howard. ESPN has him as attending Late Night and having an offer from KU.

Here is a good source with a nice summary:

I understand that he has some baggage but he would be hard to pass, particularly if he is a package with Alexander.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] BOOM!!! Alexander dismisses Kentucky...is that the KU Fight song I hear on his phone ring???

2] Since this post is random, I wonder how many people stuck around long enough to see "The Kick" Saturday at Memorial.

3] Teams we have the best chance of beating this football season...WV [surprisingly bad], ISU [not a powerhouse], Texas Tech [catch a frosh QB on an off day in our house], KSU [we've got to beat them sooner or later, right??!!].

4] Teams we have the best chance of beating this basketball season.......ANYONE!!!

5] Looks like having scholarships for next season won't be a problem for Kansas...looks like at least 5 or so. Alexander, Okafor, Jones, Lyle and Turner...come on down!!!

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

More than 30,000 remained. If LA Tech had scored instead of fumbling at the 5 yard line that number would have been much lower. Kudos to the students who showed their loyalty and enjoyed the end.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

5. Did you ever think how many former KU players we're going to have to remember if all of these guys last only a year or two here? 20 years from now, will I remember Selby's name or Henry's? I'll probably remember there were two guys who should've stuck around a while longer. Part of the fun of being a college hoops fan is watching guys develop over the years, like the Morris twins, or Withey.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

You don't have to shout! :) [Starting off with a number switches you to maximum overdrive type].

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Whoa, I guess I was shouting! Don't start with numbers?

melrank 1 year, 2 months ago

1. I didn't know that and it doesn't seem to work

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Never had any nervousness of UK getting Alexander anyway. The schools we need to be nervous about on that front would be MSU or even Illinois.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not sure if Bedore is right or wrong, but for what it's worth if you read the prior KUSports article (referenced by Jhaux above) and the Bleacherreport article (also above) neither one says KU has offered Lyle. They both indicate KU is Lyle's favorite and that he plans to visit. I would assume that implies KU has offered, but that isn't stated in either article.

The ESPN sites posted by HEM both DO indicate KU has offered Lyle and that he will be here on 10/4/13 for Late Night, which is contrary to what KUSports/Bedore has indicated in both articles.

If Lyle, who appears to be very talented himself, is the key to Alexander, a top 5 pick, I can't imagine we wouldn't at least make an offer. If you could add Lyle, Alexander and Oubre that would be a pretty good class.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

In my post I indicated that "ESPN" has him attending late night and having an offer from KU.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree. I trust the experts on Jayhawkslant.com (under Rivals). And those guys say that there is no offer currently nor is he scheduled to visit currently.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe that's misplaced trust. Rivals still has him going to L-ville (High commit with no other interest).

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Let me say this .. just my opinion. I would bypass the Lyle drama. Just take a pass. Bedore may have some inside info and is just not quoting sources. If bypassing on Lyle means losing Alexander, so be it.

If the #22 kid (Lyle) comes in and displaces a senior point guard, there's something wrong. But we can all trust Self on this one.

As note, Self said on the radio at half of the football game that the most impressive player so far has been Tharpe. He made a point of saying that Tharpe had not had a good offseason, he had a "great offseason." Awesome.

If we get nobody on the perimeter for 2014015, and lose Selden, our five man perimeter rotation would be Tharpe, Mason, Greene, Frankamp, and White. Fine by me. The latter four could be here two more years together after that. This is a high quality rotation that is national championship quality. And the development of the latter four put us in a position to win titles in the following seasons.

In the post, it's different. If we lose Embiid, we definitely need a guy. And I'd argue that we need one even if we don't lose Embiid. But not some back-up to the back-up plan, either. The Mickelson/Lucas/Traylor trio, until we see otherwise on the court, is our Achilles' heel heading into 2014-15 season. We can all speculate that they will be "monsters" as some are prone to do, but in reality, we have three big question marks from a skill perspective. If one becomes a solid rotation player by their junior seasons, that's a win. And really, the odds are pretty good that one emerge. Love the competition.

So we need at least one big guy. It is a need. OADs to fill obvious needs make sense. This one is a need. The only step in and play guys left in the post are OADs. We need one. If we get just one, then we have to hope the trio of guys big guys on our bench produces one solid rotation guy worthy of being first off the bench.

With that, we can compete for the national title in 2014-15.

ParisHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Such a great school, but they send a letter saying "formerly" when they mean "formally".

Spelling is one thing. Mixing words up is another. It makes words lose their meaning and makes the language poorer.

What I see all the time, including here, is "to compliment" when "to complement" is meant.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

My more random thoughts than Oak...

All this talent out of Chicago recently means if Groce wants to keep his job longer than Webber, he better not let these kids leave the state. He needs to change the mindset of the kids that the U of I is not a 2nd rate hoops stop.

Anytime Kentucky loses out on a kid it makes me smile. It's a terrible way to live, but I do enjoy watching them lose however the case may be.

If Embiid goes after this year, and if the article is stated correctly that he may go even though he doesn't receive a lot of playing time, we're all going to regret we didn't get a chance to see him blossom into a superstar here instead of blossoming at the far end of the bench in some NBA backwaters.

Self seems to be embracing the recruiting landscape of OAD's as a necessary evil. I think he'd much rather recruit the 3-4 year guys.

My friend here is a Louisiana Tech grad. He told me LATech is really bad this year. I believe him now.

It's good to be a Jayhawk, don't you think?

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

I grew up in Illinois and before I even knew Kansas basketball existed I simultaneously cheered for the U of I and Depaul in their late 70's-mid 80's heyday. I still follow these teams pretty closely and want them to do well. It is just puzzling to me how little all of the amazing Chicago talent ends up in Champaign.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes pro sports dominates the coverage, but when the U of I, Depaul or Northwestern is going good, they'll talk plenty about them.

As for Champaign, it is literally out in the middle of the bread basket, about a 2-3 hour drive from Chicago, depending on which part of the city you come from and when. Don't really think it's been a detriment in the past, although Depaul used to fill their squad with Chicago's best who liked staying home. The high school coaches have been pretty influential as will and have steered kids away from Depaul in particular, due to a feud with Joey Meyer.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

UofI is downstate and there really is a separation S of 80. Chicago is almost a state unto itself. Maybe like NYC and upstate being "out west". A non-selling point to me was the blah campus.

Mick Allen 1 year, 2 months ago

Willie Roaf is also a La Tech grad and he was an all pro, more than a few times

Mick Allen 1 year, 2 months ago

Willie Roaf is also a La Tech alum. All pro numerous times.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

Slayer...Don't recall the year, but Bradshaw was, at one time, the backup QB to, believe it or not, Phil (Duck Dynasty) Robertson. Who'd a thunk it? I've a pic of them both on a media guide but this site is not allowing me to browse the photos to upload it. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23626584/louisiana-tech-honors-terry-bradshaw-phil-robertson-at-tulane-game

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 2 months ago

RE: Alexander - UK stopped recruiting him a long time ago, so it was no surprise they were cut from his list. On another note, did KU fans really storm the field after beating 1-3 La Tech last Saturday? Now that is funny!!!

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

The team rushed the field to congratualte the kicker and celebrate the win. No fans came onto the field.

Side note: If you are a UK fan (as it appears you are) you may want to come up with a different moniker. If you are a Robert Morris fan then you've got the name just right.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually JayDocMD, the KU fans did rush the field at the end of the game.

"Kansas: It’s been more than two years since Kansas could brag about a win over an FBS team – until Saturday. Matt Wyman’s 52-yard field goal as time expired gave the Jayhawks a 13-10 win over Louisiana Tech and snapped a 22-game losing streak to teams from the FBS. On the flipside, however, Kansas fans belong in our “Losers” section for rushing the field for a win against a 1-3 Louisiana Tech team. Hey, remember when Kansas was in the Orange Bowl in 2008?"

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

If you're going to quote something you might want to reference what you're quoting. Several outlets falsely tweeted the "rush the field" comment after the KU win and the rumor spread as quickly as Calipari vacates final fours.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually, I don't believe they did. They came down to the track to sing the alma mater.

Find a youtube video, or otherwise.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

JayDoc, just click on his name and then comments. He's a uk fan, or in other words a troll, or in other words, ah forget it, I'll take the higher road. Must be a lonely guy or something so we'll cut him some slack.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

...On the brighter side, at least he's got a great low level companion now with misery in the sec. Thank God & Greyhound!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

The beauty of 2008 that is missed by soooo many is that the 'Hawks were 14 of 15 from the line. What a contrast to 2003 (? <50%).

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Also, from Jayhawk Slant, it wasn't Alexander saying no to UK as much as UK saying no to Alexander.

Makes me believe it's only a matter of time before T. Lyles commits to UK then.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm going to be very disappointed if both Embiid and Selden leave after one season. But I've already started bracing myself. Really looking forward to watching them play and develop.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd be ok with it if we landed M. Turner & R. Vaughn.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 2 months ago

It sure seems like Bill is kicking major butt in recruiting the last 18 months or so. Awesome.

Ryan Houston 1 year, 2 months ago

Every year there are big expectations in Lawrence. This year is no different. To start out the year with such a tough schedule it should be enough to prepare The Jayhawks for the road ahead. With this young talented team matches up against Duke, and Florida it should help push this team to its limits early, and help HCBS find what he needs to get this team clicking. It should get them prepared, for Big 12 play. The Big 12 is ours, and the 10th straight title seems to be in arms reach again this year. With such hype surrounding Wiggins it will be interesting to see how he matches up against the likes of Marcus Smart, or Baylor’s Isiah Austin. This team has final four potential. With Andrew Wiggins being the most highly touted player out of high school since LeBron James. Kansas has a loaded bench. And The Jayhawks have some experienced players like Perry Elise who should contribute big time to this year’s team. This should be an exciting year to be a JayHawk.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Wayne gets to neutralize Smart. Wiggins gets Nash or Brown, and unlikely to match-up against Baylor's C either.

baldwinbulldawg 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll say it one more time. Hate, Hate, Hate the one and done rule the NBA has. I understand why you go after these players. But if they would rather go pro out of high school fine, go for it. If you decide to go to college then give them 3 years. Seems to work for baseball just fine.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree totally. College hoops would become stronger overall.

Ryan Houston 1 year, 2 months ago

It would put out Kentuckys out fire if the OAD rule was up lifted.