Kansas defeats Louisiana Tech, 13-10

• 11 a.m., Sept. 21, 2013
  • Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Turning a corner? KU finally wins close one in improbable 13-10 victory over LA Tech

Kansas kicker Matthew Wyman is mobbed by the Kansas student section after his walk-off 52-yard fieldgoal gave the Jayhawks the win over Louisiana Tech on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at Memorial Stadium.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis talks after 13-10 win over LA Tech

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis talks after 13-10 win over LA Tech on Sept. 21, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-LA Tech

It was far from pretty, even downright ugly at times, but it ended on one heck of a high note, as walk-on kicker Matthew Wyman drilled a 52-yard field goal as time expired that sent the Kansas University football team sprinting onto the field in celebration of its 13-10 victory over Louisiana Tech.

At a school like Kansas, where wins and feel-good moments have been hard to come by, Saturday's come-from-behind win in front of 39,823 fans at Memorial Stadium may have been just what the program needed. That it came in the most improbable manner imaginable only added to the Jayhawks' joy after their first victory over an FBS foe in the past 23 games.

“You know, I would like to win every game by four touchdowns and breathe easy,” KU coach Charlie Weis said after his team improved to 2-1 on the season. “I'm too old, I'm in crummy shape, I don't need games like that. But that might be the best thing that happened for our team. I'm kind of counting on us being able to look back at this game and saying, 'That was the game where they turned the corner.' We've been waiting for one of those times, and I'm hoping that maybe today was the day.”

For the better part of Saturday's victory, the Jayhawks played from behind and watched Louisiana Tech (1-3) control the game. The Bulldogs were tougher up front, more effective with their offense and opportunistic with their defense. But for the second straight week, the Kansas defense stood tall, keeping points off the board at key times and giving the Jayhawks a chance.

With a little more than 90 seconds left on the clock and Tech driving deep in KU territory for a game-winning score that seemed inevitable, KU junior Michael Reynolds ripped the ball out of the hands of Louisiana Tech running back Kenneth Dixon at the 5-yard line and Keon Stowers did the rest. After a scrum that started near the middle of the field and finished near the hash mark toward the Louisiana Tech sideline, Stowers emerged from the bottom of the pile with the ball and the look of a mad man.

“I kind of had a little bit of profanity in there so I don't think I can say it on record,” said Stowers of his reaction to recovering the fumble. “I was just like, 'Let's go, let's go.' We fought to the end, and we (say) in practice, 'Finish the play. Never pull up,' and that was a perfect example.”

The wild turn of events completely flipped the script for the Kansas offense.

“My stomach was churning, I was just willing something to happen,” said quarterback Jake Heaps of the anxious moments before the fumble. “I felt helpless. But our defense has been playing great all season and they continue to make plays when we need it. It just goes to show that we're never out of a game.”

The fumble recovery gave the Jayhawks a lift and, perhaps more importantly, gave the offense a chance to atone for a sub-par afternoon.

“Every single time we go out there, we're saying, 'This is the drive,'” said junior tight end Jimmay Mundine, whose 22-yard touchdown reception with 9:54 to play tied the game at 10. “And something we were talking about in the huddle during that TV timeout before the last drive started was how our day could be all centered off this one drive.”

Added senior running back James Sims, who kick-started that final drive with 17 yards on back-to-back carries: “Our mentality when we went out there was, 'Let's win the game.'”

Because of the poor field position — something that plagued the Jayhawks all afternoon — Weis said his intention was to run out the clock and play for overtime. But the quick first down from Sims changed things and, with about a minute left, the Jayhawks shifted from survival mode to attack mode.

After Heaps gained five yards and another first down on the third play of the drive, the junior quarterback hit Josh Ford for eight yards and followed it up with a 29-yard pass to Tony Pierson, who led the Jayhawks with nine catches for 82 yards.

“They're the balls we haven't been coming up with,” Weis said. “And today that wasn't the case.”

Several Jayhawks had very different views of the pitch-and-catch to Pierson that set up Wyman's game-winner. Heaps said he was hesitant to throw the ball because of the tight coverage. Pierson shrugged and said he “just made a play.” Junior receiver Rodriguez Coleman (two catches for 30 yards) said he remembered the play call from earlier in the game. And Stowers barely saw any of it because he was still amped up from the fumble recovery.

“I was running around,” Stowers said. “I was still yelling, 'Let's go.' I was yelling at the players, yelling at the fans, yelling at anybody I could, because this is what it's all about.”

The one thing they all could agree upon was the fact that they had faith in Wyman to drill the game-winner, even if it was from 52 yards away and even if he did miss a 28-yard try earlier in the game. That included Wyman.

“When they turned that ball over, I just kind of said, 'It's our time,'” the sophomore kicker said. “Right when that happened I thought I was going to get a chance.”

Said Stowers of the kick: “I was 100-percent confident that Wyman was gonna make it. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be with me tonight because I gotta show him a good time.”

And therein was the theme of KU's postgame vibe on Saturday. The coaches and players admitted that the win was not pretty, but they also emphasized that the name of the game is winning and they were not about to apologize for moving to 2-1 on the season or anything they did to celebrate it.

“When I first got here, we started practicing that in the spring, and everyone laughed at us and said, 'Look what they're practicing,'” Weis said of the wild celebration that came after Wyman's kick cleared the crossbar. “Well, there it was today. And that's what the locker room felt like. It felt like what you want it to feel like.”

Comments

Steven Mathew 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't know if this game will turn the corner, but hey it's still a win.

Dan Harris 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey dingleberry, it wasn't pretty but give the boys some credit, they deserve it!

lv_jhwk 1 year, 3 months ago

Going by this rationale, how many wins did KU have last year then?

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Exactly -- by that ridiculous rationale KU was probably 6-6 last year....but KU was not 6-6. I fully agree that LA Tech had the chance to put this game away, but they didn't, and a lot of the reason for that was the takeaway by our defense. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

otaKU 1 year, 3 months ago

I wonder if you have the same view of our 2008 men's basketball title. Did KU win that or did Memphis lose it? I would assume you would say Memphis lost it...

doolindalton 1 year, 3 months ago

A better example is KU's loss to Michigan last season. KU lost that game, Michigan did not win it. Why? Because KU was the dominant team for most of that game and gave it away as the result of coaching decisions, sloppy execution and bad free throw shooting down the stretch . Tech was the better team for most of the football game but literally fumbled the win away. KU is not a very good football team, especially on offense; they were very fortunate to win. That's not a rant; it's just a fact.

KGphoto 1 year, 3 months ago

None of this is fact. It is all your opinion.

nwk_jayhawk74 1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry KG, that's how I remember it too. One low blow setting the tone for the game. KU was the superior team.

KGphoto 1 year, 3 months ago

Still not a fact. Just how you remembered it. And that IS a fact.

Hey I thought we were the best team too. Both against Michigan, and against LaTech. Different games, different flow, different outcomes.

Fact? No. Just my opinion.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 3 months ago

I think it's fair to say that today, KU won because they made fewer mistakes, or at least their mistakes weren't as costly. The last pass play of the game, I was about to pull my hair out...what knucklehead would call that. No it was not pretty, and just a low level C-USA foe. But it means so much to this team after so many close games, so many mistakes, so many missed opportunities. You could see they really wanted this one.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm with you, Doolination. That QB drop saved us, and that was all on him, not on us making a play. In fact, we had defended that play very poorly (as well as the play they fumbled on near the end of the game.) Anyone who saw the game is in denial if they think we were not handed that game on a silver platter. Yes, the offense came alive a bit on that final drive, and got the job done, I credit them for that, but that wouldn't have mattered if our opponent hadn't handed the game to us on a silver platter. Our special teams were great yesterday. Without them we lose.

Our defense is better, but we still give up too many big plays. We couldn't stop that running back who was taking the ball on the right and cutting back to the left. They ran it over and over and we sill didn't figure it out. I can't imagine what Baylor will hang on us if we don't get some of these things fixed. We gave way too much cushion on the little sideline passes. They have third and 3 and we would give 7 yards of cushion. Their QB wasn't very good throwing down field so why concede those short passes? I did like the way Swendish played on the other side. He's definitely a keeper. Heaney has been solid, as we knew he would.

Offensively, our line is getting manhandled by second tier teams. Sims isn't getting a lot of help, that's for sure, but he also doesn't appear to be hitting the line of scrimmage with the same intensity he has in past years. I'd like to see more of Miller and Bourbon. Bourbon is playing with some passion. He deserves more touches. Pierson is playing well. Everyone else on the offense needs to step it up or we don't even get a sniff of another win. Heaps isn't getting much help from the line or from the running game. The jury is still out, but I see promise in Jake, but he needs some support.

One final observation. Where was Combs? I know he's supposedly redshirting but he wasn't on the sidelines with the other red shirts. I hope he hasn't left the program. There is something very strange with that situation.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Actually, it was on us because he wouldn't have tried to stretch it if there wasn't a tackler about to shove him out of bounce.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

Please, it was a bonehead play by their QB period. They have first down on the two if he does the smart thing and steps out without trying to stretch it. How far did the D let the guy run before forcing him out of bounds? I think it was 25 plus yards. Hardly worthy of crediting the D on that play. The guy screwed up, period. We did knock the ball out on the final fumble, but we tackled poorly all day because we spent too much time punching at the ball and not enough time wrapping up.

Let's be honest here. We should never had been in that position against that team. We should have been up 3 or 4 TD's, so pardon me if I'm not feeling good about jumping on the homer bandwagon after that lucky win. If we pull out a stinker against OU, or KSU, or Baylor, I'd feel much better about it.

Weiss chewed butt big time in the first half when the O line got whipped on third and short for the 3rd or 4th time. There was still no emotion from them after that. That's frustrating to see. Some guys are playing hard, some appear to be going through the motions.

rastameta 1 year, 3 months ago

Combs and a few other redshirts were sitting in the stands.

loyal2thaphog 1 year, 3 months ago

We had a decisive schematic advantage...RCJH!

mikehawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Like I wrote right after the game...game ball to the punter. Game ball to the kicker. Game ball to the defense. And Uncle Charlie and the offense to report to the practice field.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

Who would have thought a year ago that our kicking game would be, without question, our greatest strength?

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 3 months ago

Greatest strength??? If he would have made even ONE of the FGs he missed, he wouldn't have needed to attempt the 52 yarder.

fu7il3 1 year, 3 months ago

The defense gave up over 400 yards to a Conference USA team and almost 300 yards in passing to a backup quarterback for said Conference USA team. You might want to get them on the practice field as well before they face Big 12 caliber quarterbacks.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

10 points, and 40 points in 3 games. Have you been paying attention?

LA Tech was the nation's leading offense a year ago in terms of total offense. Before the season started, some were saying were going to get gashed, but 400 yards is hardly getting gashed, and 10 points on the board is all they got.

Don't you think they hyperbole is necessary? Do you not think that there have been a lot of other fans that have watched the past three seasons or do you think most of them are stupid?

RCJay 1 year, 3 months ago

I think what he was saying is that La Tech fumbled twice inside our 5 yard line, likely costing them 14 points. Both our offense and defense need to improve if we're going to win any Big 12 games. He seems to have a valid point to me, but let's enjoy the victory for it is sweet. A 52 yarder to win the game, that would be tough in the NFL. Pardula and Wyman were definitely the stars of this game.

fu7il3 1 year, 3 months ago

RCJay is getting what I am saying. Without those two fumbles within the five, we are looking at 24-10.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 3 months ago

I think they probably would have went for two both times so it's hypothetically 26-10.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

What about our trip in the red zone without a score? Turnovers are part of the game, aren't they? Didn't we lose a game last year because of Cox fumbling in the redzone? Was it that they beat us or we lost that game because we fumbled?

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

This is an absolutely down year for Tech and if you think Tech is anywhere near the strength of the remaining teams on the Jayhawks schedule you are sorely mistaken.

CalBBaller 1 year, 3 months ago

Its nice to win, but face it, this is not a very good team on offense. Maybe this will get them going, but if they can't beat Rice and barely beat La Tech, how will they do against OK, OK ST., KState and other top teams in the Big 12. Not very well I don't think. Bring on basketball.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

You know, I've never, ever, ever read that interesting and unique post before. Thank you for pointing out such a thought-provoking concept.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Agreed. I hate the 'can't wait for basketball season' mantra. It's disrespectful to the football team, and to every other sport on campus. Sure we have great basketball, and we should embrace that. But not at the expense of the rest of the student-athletes.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

And you are why KU football perennially sucks.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Texashawk10, I like most of your comments and also don't like the "bring on bball" mantra during football season. And I understand your point, but negative posters like CalBBaller are NOT the reason that KU football sucks.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

If nobody is critical and if expectations are low a coach would have no incentive to work to make the team better. There would be no incentive for players to improve themselves. Fans who care want to hold their teams accountable. We should demand more. If we don't, how can we expect them to get better? I'm in that stadium every game day Saturday, and I have been for many years, spending my hard earned money. Those of us who are doing that have a right to expect more. We need football to be a success, to help fund other athletic programs. Those who are tolerant of a poor football program are harming KU sports in general. The problem with KU football is that for too many years we, as a fan base, have allowed it to be poor, and we've always had the attitude, "well, at least we have basketball coming up." There is nothing wrong with looking forward to basketball, but we need fans to also get behind football, and demand more of it.

shelleysue 1 year, 3 months ago

Comments along the line of "bring on basketball" makes the writer look ignorant. I hate to bash fellow KU fans but come on. It's lame, ignorant, stupid, disrespectful ... You get my point.

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

Turned a corner? That remains to be seen. It was a win against a D1 team and given all the close losses we suffered last year it's nice to finally have one go our way. However, an argument can be made that LATech lost the game instead of KU winning it. Either way I'm thrilled.

Adam Evans 1 year, 3 months ago

Actually, Ku won it not the other way around. We took advantage of an opportunity we were given, they didn't. Can't say that very often so I agree, thrilled. :)

Jason Keller 1 year, 3 months ago

Offensive line blows.
Receivers played a little better but still dropping bunnies and have no deep threat. Heaps isn't perfect but dude is a gamer. Corners need to play tighter.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

That would be an FBS school. South Dakota State and South Dakota were both FCS schools.

LJW editing fail

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

I see the LJW has since corrected its error.

Dan Harris 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree in the piss poor officiating ,that roughing the passer penalty was horse sh$t,you might as well put a pink tutu on them if they're going to call that. They also had two very questionable pass interference calls and that block in the back AFTER the play was well past that. I can't believe people are complaining after a WIN! Yes we have a long ways to go but let's congratulate the boys and get ready for next week instead of bitching about a WIN!

Robert Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

No one has said they wish we would have lost. It is disappointing that we clearly outplayed by a Conference USA team who lost at home to Tulane last week. The defense gave up over 400 yards and La Tech had no problem driving the ball down the field at the end of the game.

jayhawk247365 1 year, 3 months ago

Would thoroughly enjoy beating Tech, seems like we've hung tough with them almost every year we have played them but failed to pull it out. Time to buck up, enjoy the bye by getting healthy, get our minds right and send coach GQ back to West Texas with his first lost.

troutsee 1 year, 3 months ago

I tell you what, fellas. I've been a KUFB fan for years and I have suffered through many games where we outplayed the other team only to lose a heartbreaker at the end. So, let's feel good about this one. Every game has its own personality. On paper TT looks like they should pound us. But, who knows. I do know this, I feel pretty darn good right now.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Shades of 1995 against Cincinnati. We had to drive for the winning score at the end of the game, and the boost it gave the kids resulted in a 9-2 season with wins at Norman and at Boulder against number 2 in the country.

Dan Harris 1 year, 3 months ago

Baby steps, tiny little baby Jesus steps!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

I like my Baby Jesus wearing a blue jersey with number 28 on it and the power in his right foot as if it was a gift from his dad.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

I should take to rubbing my Jayhawk mini helmet from now on as a good luck charm. I did it right before the LTU fumble late in the 4th and again before the game winning field goal. The next time Kansas wins a tight football game, give me and my helmet rubbing fetish credit. Rock Chalk Jayhawk. :)

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

All great teams need a last second field goal to beat La Tech. Booking my fiesta bowl tickets now!

jhawk60660 1 year, 3 months ago

A win is a win. And for as many close games we had lost last year one shouldn't underestimate the psychological effect that this win carries. I'm proud of our boys especially after watching years and years of is not having the fortitude to roll with bad officiating. We have a ways to go but piece by piece you can see improvement and for that I am happy and say to one and all RCJHGKU.

KURiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Jhawk60660 could not agree with you more. Great post

KURiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Also Mundaine is redeemed ! What a great job. I for one underestimated him

Bradly Moore 1 year, 3 months ago

Great to have something good happen to our football program.

FCCoHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I am just glad for the win. You can look at stats and complain all you want but we won. We needed this win and got it. Go Hawks!! Did anyone coming into the season really think we would be pounding teams 40-0? Our OL is not good. Hopefully they will continue to improve. Our defense is improved. You can look at that stats and argue, but the players seem to be in the right position and making plays. There were a few missed tackles today, but not like previous years. We won't go from where we were to a good football team overnight. Be proud of the effort this team showed and that they won. We could have just as easily thrown incomplete passes and never been in a position to give our kicker a chance to win it. What an awesome thrill for the kicker to win it after missing an easy FG earlier. This win doesn't guarantee any more wins but I think the team is making progress. It won't be as fast as we all want, but hang in there. I do think we have some talent that will certainly help the team next year also, so who knows. Play hard and lets see what happens each week! Go Hawks!!

Bob Bowles 1 year, 3 months ago

Saying a win is a win is like having sex with an ugly woman....it may feel good right now but will you be proud tomorrow. Don't get me wrong I'm more optimistic than I have been for a long time and I think Coach Weis will make KU competitive. Having said that KU football just seems boring. When most of the excitement is generated by the special teams then it will be a long season. It's easy for us old f*rts to sit in the stands and be critical but sometimes watching these games feels like the football equivalent of a root canal. Here's hoping we can have some games we can really be proud of winning..........

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

...and losing is like having sex with an ugly man...in jail. I'll take the ugly woman any day of the week and twice on Saturday; I bet my smile will be bigger than yours.

shelleysue 1 year, 3 months ago

That first sentence just oozes class. Oh wait. Before I leave I should point out. My first sentence is known as sarcasm.

Robert Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

Judging from today's results, there are some very mediocre teams in the Big 12 so there is hope for a couple of conference wins. KSU, WV, ISU are not having good seasons.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Texas Tech had struggles against Texas State also.

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

Texas State has Dennis Franchione at the helm and will probably get their team to a bowl this year.

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

KSU, WV, and ISU will have better seasons than us based on this weeks performance.

Cody Stumma 1 year, 3 months ago

So... being shut out by 37 points to a team who's mascot is a TURTLE means they'll have a better season than us?

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, that 4-0 Maryland coached by Randy Edsall is expected to be a force in the ACC this year.

Steve Corder 1 year, 3 months ago

Observations Quarterback play is improved over 2012 Heaps throws a few too many Hail Marry passes that invite trouble. Heaps is a good QB that will get better. Get guys who can catch, add some confidence, and watch out. OL is troubling, on that 4th & 1 the center never charged forward but raised up as if pass blocking. Glad Weis went for it. Defense is better than 2012. Solid corners. Play calling curious at times, however, execution always makes a coach look good. IT'S GREAT TO WIN, especially a last minute drive to win on a field goal!

Chris Gilbertson 1 year, 3 months ago

Rock Chalk on the win! How good does it feel to say KU got a win on a last second 52 yard field goal! Keep it up guys

Sparko 1 year, 3 months ago

LA Tech played very well; have the best defense we have seen so far. The PI penalties were specious; and KU stepped up. The team will begin to click now. You have to play for something. I think they get it now. And they'll be great.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 3 months ago

I didn't get to watch the game, and thank goodness I didn't. And I won't say much because I'm trying to be happy for our guys, but I'm impressed with our "never give up" attitude. And these guys need to be happy right now regardless of how bad the win was. When you haven't had bacon for awhile, you forget why it's so good. But give a man a piece of bacon and he salivates for it every morning. This win was our bacon. I just hope our guys like the taste as much as me. Kudos to Wyman. Heck of a kick buddy. Fitzy out!

Kay Jensen 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm just so happy for a win. So freaking happy.

741hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

If we'd have played last year's punter and kicker, we would have lost. I'm not sure that's improvement.

That game was ugly. I attended Boise @ Fresno last night. That was pretty. Both teams had accurate QBs who had reasonable to good feet to move about the pocket. Both teams had the ability to get receivers open . . . on a regular basis. Big difference by two teams from the Mountain West!

Kevin Kelly 1 year, 3 months ago

Man some of you sound just like NU fans. Except they never get beat they always say, 'we lost that game'. No credit given to opponents on close loses. We so fricking sick in the head as a fan base we won't accept a win (which it is, by the way) and tell ourselves 'we didn't win...La Tech Lost'.

One team wins. One team loses. Your personal wish to divvy out the appropriate amount of blame and/or recognition says more about you than it does about the game. It says your a sad man.

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

A win is a win, but if you are using this game and the opponent to predict any future victories this season then you will be sadly disappointed.

Kevin Kelly 1 year, 3 months ago

Okay Debbie Downer. "By the way, don't forget the sunscreen. I had a mole looked at the other day and the doctor said that based on the size and shape of the edges, I am flirting with that melanoma thing." (trombone sound)

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

Alright football analyst, tell me what aspect of this game gave you the impression that the Jayhawks could beat any of the teams on the rest of their schedule? The competition only gets more difficult from here on out and this 13-10 win was at home.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

I know the offense wasn't that good for much of the game, but in the 4th quarter, it was pretty darn good offense with some clutch plays made by Heaps with some good execution from him and that one to Pearson was a dart.

Now, that fumble by La Tech was to KU's credit, KU forced that fumble. Special teams played well, good coverage on both kickoffs and punts and some really good NFL worthy punts. That was also a NFL worthy FG, not the distance, but the pressure that was on Wyman to make that was huge.

741 Hawk, Heaps went 28 for 46 in the game. There were a couple of drops, he made one bad pass early, but that pass to Pierson was thrown in the right place and give the only chance to catch it, but he didn't and it popped up in the air.

Kansas forced 3 turnovers, even that one when their QB fumbled that ball, if our guys didn't hustle he wouldn't have tried to stretch it and Kansas went right down the field and scored a TD there with the Mundine redemption. Ford and Coleman made good catches in traffic and that was one of the biggest problems in the first two weeks.

Heaps did throw the ball away and they did improve from last week to this week in regards to the passing game and if that continues to trend towards the positive and the OL improves, and they were good in the clutch, then things are going in the right direction.

If Kansas had all four quarters like that against Rice, we'd be 3-0, and I know, that's an if. These guys are all mostly new working together, particularly the receivers with Heaps except for McKay but in games, it's new for all of them. I do think that we should not put Pierson in the back field to start the game unless we're going to use that as a decoy and have Miller or Sims in the slot and do play action to Pierson.

Christian Matthews also made at least one tough catch in the fourth quarter and those guys caught the ball.

In the running game, we might have to put Bourbon in the backfield to be an extra blocker or someone for that matter so that they don't bring in a safety or linebacker untouched. Of course, Heaps should be given a little latitude to change the call on his own with just a couple of code words if he sees someone sneaking up, and change those code words for every possession. If it looks like the defense is going to bring a run blitz, then you let that guy come through, and throw it to the place that defender came from, which would be either the slot, running back, or tight end. If they're going to give that to us, let's take it.

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

Its great that we finally got an FBS win, but looking at the remainder of our schedule and the quality of play by the Jayhawks thus far, I seriously doubt we get more than one more win the rest of the season.

BringBackMark 1 year, 3 months ago

Who knows where this will take this team. On the surface you'd have to say it could be the last win this year. However, I remember in 1991 K-State returned a botched extra point by Indiana State at the end of the game to win 26-25. At the time it just looked like another pathetic K-State football team getting a lucky break to win a game against a nobody foe. Then they went on to win 7 games, losing to Colorado and Nebraska by 10 and 7 points respectively. In retrospect that game was the turning point for the K-State program and they really haven't dropped below mediocre (with the exception of the Ron Prince years) since then.

Having said that, Weis isn't Snyder and our offensive scheme lacks a lot to be desired. A faster pace with a more mobile quarterback would, in my opinion, be more effective. Just watching the games so far, it appears the talent level is adequate to win 5 or more. There's just something missing, primarily on offense, that's hard to put your finger on.

I find it hard to believe that Weis can't find a way to mix Michael Cummings into the scheme of things. It's almost like since he didn't recruit him he wants nothing to do with him. Cummings has a strong arm, good speed, and sense of where defenders are on the field. He looked sharp in the spring game but yet he's only gotten one snap all year. Wouldn't it make sense to have a play or two in the book where he and Heaps are on the field at the same time if nothing else?

hotrodm 1 year, 3 months ago

Exciting game, and a KU win, enough said.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 3 months ago

The win shouldn't overshadows the facts! That was a sad, pathetic performance against a below average opponent!

On offense:

• At least one o-lineman misses an assignment on EVERY play!

• The new core receivers are still slow.

• Heaps is not a play maker.

• Charlie's play calling lacks imagination.

On defense: I can't figure this one out except to say, someone screws up on almost every play. I must have said, "How the heck did that happen?", at least 20 times during that game!

Charlie Gill has this team stuck in neutral and the wealthy boosters that paid for this dumpster fire must feel like they've been robbed!

Joe Ross 1 year, 3 months ago

I HATE to agree with you. But on all points I must...

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

I haven't tricked myself into believing we've suddently become a good team but we did something yesterday that we haven't done in a long time, found a way to win. Even with the turnovers by Latech we still had to march downfield and kick a field goal. That being said it would not be an unreasonable assumption to predict a 2-10 season based on the first 3 games. However, we did not fare well in our non-con schedule last year and still managed to play in some pretty close games against conference opponents. I'm hoping yesterdays W will help parlay some of those near misses into wins. It's not unreasonable to assume this team can improve as the season progresses.

tical523 1 year, 3 months ago

Have to admit that after that win I am curious to see what Michael Cummings could have done. Heaps may throw a more pretty ball but Michael seems to have better pocket awareness and finds the open man. Heaps rushed a few of those out routes that were clearly short of the first down and on two of them he had a crossing route open for the easy first down and more, he seemed to be set on one receiver.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe Heaps is 2-1 as the KU QB, Cummings is 0-7.

Heaps has improved every game this year.

kufanman88 1 year, 3 months ago

On what metric do you identify improvement for Jake Heaps? This offense is dead and will not compete with a team like Texas Tech next week. Yardage and a minimal increase in accuracy is negated by the fact that he has a 1:2 touchdown to interception ratio the last two games. I believe Cummings could match those numbers and would add the option dynamic to the game which is a spark the Jayhawk offense sorely needs.

Jason Keller 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh my god, dude. Get real. Heaps isn't Reesing but he is a gamer. I agree that with a rebuilding team, especially the offensive line, a mobile quarterback is nice to have but Heaps has played pretty darn well considering. My main frustration is with his deep ball but anything inside 25 yards and good grief that kid is accurate and strong. That is seriously NFL type accuracy and zip. He needs to spend the off-season on the lower half of his body and he'll be drafted easily.

tical523 1 year, 3 months ago

Just saying I was curious to see what he would have done in this particular game. I think Heaps has a big upside but I was dissapointed with a few reads and pocket feel. I would not make the change, just several times during that particular game I thought we could have marched the ball with Cummings play from last year.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

I only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game, basically LA Tech's last drive and KU's game winning drive, so can someone answer a question for me. Did KU run any play action yesterday because I've been waiting for that to help take some pressure off the running and to help Heaps get some more time to throw and to get a couple of WR's very wide open.

I was able to follow on my phone so I know the game wasn't pretty, but as others said above, an ugly win is better than a well played loss every time. A win like this doesn't mean that KU is suddenly going to compete for a Big 12 title this year, but finally showing some mental toughness and stealing win can be a springboard for KU pulling off a couple of upsets this year. ISU and WVU have looked pretty bad so those two games are winnable for KU this year, but the big thing this win could do is give KU the confidence to close out a game or make that game winning drive that they've struggled to do for the past few years. Nothing is guaranteed by this win other than KU will win more games this year than last year, but the confidence gained from getting a monkey off their back very well could be the turning of the corner for KU for the next couple of seasons.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Good question. I didn't see play action, but I had to miss several plays to take the kids to the bathroom, get concessions, etc. One problem was that LA Tech's D-Line did a great job of pushing into the middle, so a play action might have resulted in a big sack. I'm curious to see anyone else's thought on this.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, they ran play action often and it resulted in the Mundine TD catch. He was wide open, nobody even close to him when he caught the ball and then he broke tackles and shoved people out of the way to get into the end zone.

utahjayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Not much if at all, but doesn't it take an established run game to make play action effective? I don't think we'll be running the ball as well as we did last year so I'm not holding out hope for great play action.

shelleysue 1 year, 3 months ago

Congrats Jayhawks!! Jimmay for responding like he did. The kicking? Jaw dropping excitement. I could not stop smiling and not because of the win but because I was SO happy for the players and how excited they were. Heeney for another great game and his first interception. Victor S for a great game. Stowers recovered fumble. I could go on and on. Was it pretty? Not really but a wins a win. And let's be honest. More wins are ugly than not so ill focus on the win, the fun, and most of all a game that every player needed and deserved. I can't wait to see how they respond to Tech. Rock Chalk!!

utahjayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Victor could have had a great game if he had made what looked to be an easy interception.

shelleysue 1 year, 3 months ago

I will choose to focus on the good things he did. Not dwell on what in your opinion as someone who wasn't on the field playing, looked like an easy interception. I do not understand you people.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Game day was awesome. I wish more were there (nearly 40K), but still after a disheartening loss to Rice it was good to see that many and to see so many stay to the end. Obviously watching the 52 yard field goal go through the uprights was amazing. Seeing the team mob Wyman, and then rush over to the student section for the alma mater was damn special. But my favorite part was seeing the players run along the track celebrating with the fans. Took the kids down to the front row, and we high five'd every single football player as they went by. That's a memory that'll last a lifetime.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 3 months ago

I apologize in advance because I didn't want to take the time to read so many previous comments. Am sure that my thoughts have already been shared.

We mustn't kid ourselves. This clearly was a game that we should not have won. Nevertheless, when a program has been as down as ours has been since the Mangino era, you take whatever you can get. The key now is to build on this victory.

I am very happy about the strides that the defense has made, which hopefully will continue. That will at least keep us in games.

While the offense has been disappointing to say the least, I do believe that the talent far exceeds what they have shown so far. Since Coach Weis has a fine reputation as a coach of the offense, I'm confident that, given time, KU will develop a dual threat program.

I like the direction of the program, attitude wise. Creating a winning mentality is hard, but once you achieve it, as our basketball program has certainly done, it's amazing how much the perceived "breaks" seem to turn your way. Just think back to last year's basketball results. Other than the Michigan game in the Sweet 16, you can't really point to a loss that we should not have had. On the other hand, just ask the ISU fans about the games we won that we probably shouldn't have. I chalk a lot of that up to the mental strength that Coach Self and his assistants have developed over the years.

In short, I hope that LA Tech isn't our last win of the season. The conference is clearly not as deep as it has been in some years, so there is potential for some more wins. Go Hawks!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Probabilities of future victories:

1] Oklahoma. Oklahoma State, Baylor - 0% to 5%.

2] West Virginia, TCU, Texas - 5% to 25%.

3] Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech - 25% - 50%.

We will be a decided underdog in most of the rest of the schedule, but improved play and team cohesiveness may produce a couple of upsets. We'll see.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Switch WVU and Tech and I think it would be more accurate. Texas Tech I playing a walk on freshmen at QB who has had some moments where he's looked great and some moments where he's looked pretty bad. The Tech game has the potential to be a good one, but I don't think KU has the offense to beat Tech. WVU on the other hand has looked about as lost on offense as KU has.

Jason Keller 1 year, 3 months ago

Texas Tech is probably going to win the Big 12. West Virginia is one of the worst teams in the country. Like literally depending on how we play, we might be favored. They're plain old bad.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Tech won't win the Big 12, their QB play will be too erratic because it's a walk on freshman. The Big 12 this year looks like it'll be a 3 way race between OU, OSU, and Baylor. Texas Tech would be in that second group with Texas, TCU, and KSU with KU, ISU, and WVU being the 3 worst teams in the league.

bigtex 1 year, 3 months ago

Great kick!!! Finally saw some good catches on clutch 3rd down situations.

hawkdds 1 year, 3 months ago

Heap's throw to Tony was a bullet so he has the arm lets get some separation by the receivers and who knows how many points we can score. Bourbon had a nice game and seems to be more intense and healthy this year.RCJH

danno1313 1 year, 3 months ago

The five starters that Self puts on the court would be a better offensive line than the five Charlie starts. They were handled by smaller players, again.

So it comes down to one of three things: (or a combination)

1) Improper technique

2) Lack of strength

3) Lack of b*lls

I ll take the win but I wouldn't be shocked if it were the last one this season. Hopefully not. Time to find the WEIGHT room and grow 'em boys, it's almost BIG 12 time!

CHEEZIT 1 year, 3 months ago

On another note. K-state lost and we have a better record! Na! Na! Na! Na! Na!

Brian Conrad 1 year, 3 months ago

sometimes people act as if KU can never have great football... remember only 6 years back KU went 12-1 and WON the ORANGE BOWL something KSU has never done .. WIN a BIG BOWL GAME ! take em one game at a time... TT next .. win that one and who knows .. possible for KU to win 3 of next 8 ... and would be wonderful to have a bowl game on the line with win over KSU for final Home game !

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

A win against TTU would be enormous. They are ranked, they run the wild west offense, and beating them would put this team on a bowl-eligibility trajectory. Let's hope that the staff can find some answers over the next two weeks.

jaymar74 1 year, 3 months ago

Heaps made a number of quality throws, defense made a number of quality stops, we are getting there, we will upset two or three conference teams and just miss a bowl game.

lv70 1 year, 3 months ago

Charlie's strength is our weakness, go figure.

KURiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Some folks need to watch and would not hurt if they played football at anytime. First, great job Hawks. Does not have to be pretty. Would rather win ugly than lose. I dont care how pretty it looks when you lose. I like to win. Good job Hawks. Second...anyone who says Heaps is not/will not be a great QB is nuts. I loved Reesing..thought he rocked. Still think he deserved NFL try. Hello Bucs and Jags. Freeman(kstate) and Gabbert(misery) suck. That being said as much I loved Reesing. Heaps is an NFL type QB. I have been to the games folks..he is going thru his reads as much as he can. I am glad we won..but pay attention Heaps naysayers here is lesson 1. A QB cannot complete a pass from the ground. Our OL stinks. If you review the tape, when Heaps has time he is deadly. Any ints he has thrown are due to two factors. Blown assignments(ol,wr or te) or tipped balls. The pick he threw to the FS this last game..the TE Smiley ran the wrong route. Heaps threw it to where he was supposed to be. All QBs do that. It was Smileys first start, so hard to be too angry at him. However it was still his error not Heaps. Also, has it escaped your attention our RBs cant get upfield? Our OL stinks. Until we get that straightened out neither our RBs or Heaps will be able to show what they can really do. It all starts up front. Watch some football. Its no accident Nebraska ran option for 30 yrs and won all the time. Their best talent was in their OL. A great OL makes or breaks an offense. Second reason Heaps has struggled is drops..which seem to be getting better. But folks..the reason you so.much short stuff this past week was not because Heaps does not have an NFL arm. It was because we have a jr high.OL. I said from the beginning Heaps is a beast if we can protect him. So far we have not protected him. Heaps, Sims, Pierson and Darrian Miller have NFL talent..big time! Can we get an OL good enough for us to find out?? We shall see. That being said..i love to win. Good job Hawks

KURiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Also want to shout out to our Def. and Coach Campo. And a big thumbs up to J. Mundaine. I was one of his biggest critics and he proved me wrong and I could not be happier. Great catch and TD. Keep it up rock star

Jeff Soisson 1 year, 3 months ago

We won like Texas, we looked terrible the whole game and came out with a win- I SAY WELL DONE!

Mike Pressgrove 1 year, 3 months ago

Great job by the defense, they never quit. Grunhard needs to keep working on the O-Line, but we will get better. So happy for those kids, they needed a win!

dhinkansas 1 year, 3 months ago

Marcus Allen once said luck is executing when given the opportunity. Kansas was given the opportunity to win and took advantage of that. La Tech is a different team this year than the 9 win team last year. KU won and yes there's a ton of work to do, but hopefully the players enjoyed the win and everyone's working on a plan now for the Oct 5th game.

As far as the can't wait for basketball season comments, fans are not entirely to blame. The radio halftime show Saturday was with Self.

tinytimhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Would I rather we'd won by more? Yes. Am I glad we won anyways? Yes. Is this the turning point we're waiting for? Maybe.

Alot of people are calling luck. I can only say that luck had nothing to do with Michael Reynolds playing all the way to the whistle and ripping that ball out.

Alot of people are also complaining that we won ugly. What about last year? Do you think Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Rice, or Northern Illinois were too disappointed that they won ugly against us. They all won and ended up in bowl games, so the win was all that mattered. And I know our fan base would've been ecstatic if we would've turned any of those close losses into ugly wins.

I know we're not Big 12 elite yet, but I'll take the obvious progress that has happened.

DocPossum 1 year, 3 months ago

If we had Pardula and Wyman last year we would have won 2-3 more games. I'm just sayin... take the improvements were you can find them and work on the rest.

kckuguy 1 year, 3 months ago

I just hope that all of these negative comments on here are not from KU students. We Won ! Congratulations , Next up is TT, bring -em-on