Saturday, September 21, 2013

Game Balls and Gassers: LA Tech

Kansas kicker Matthew Wyman watches his 52-yard field goal sail toward the uprights for a 13-10 win over Louisiana Tech during the on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at Memorial Stadium.

Candidates for Game Balls and Gassers following Kansas' 13-10 victory over LA Tech on Saturday ...

Game Balls

• Walk-on kicker Matthew Wyman, who missed his only field goal attempt as a high school kicker, booted a 52-yard, game-winning field goal as time expired.

• Trevor Pardula counted a 78-yarder among his five punts, one of three that he nailed inside the 20, including two inside the 10. He averaged 57.6 yards on his punts and 64 yards on his three kickoffs.

Gassers

• On Louisiana Tech’s first touchdown, Isaiah Johnson was late arriving on a big first-down catch and on the touchdown catch.

• The offensive line had difficulty opening up holes for inside runs.

Comments

Michael Maris 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll tell you who should be doing gassers along with the players. Charlie Weis and Coach Tim Grunhard. Encourage the OL men to get their act together. If Coach Mangino can lose weight, I know coach Weis and Grunhard can get out there and work on getting into shape as well. Another good showing by Defense. The defense spent WAY to much time on the field today.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, the OL needs to man-up, but you are way, way off base calling out Weis and Grunhard, especially using a former coach as the std. You apparently missed the fact that Weis had both hips?knees blown out in a sideline accident, and only recently had them replaced. A treadmill sits prominently in his office, and it is obviously getting used.

Michael Maris 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm fully aware of Coach Weis's past surgical procedures. But, he seems to be quite impressed with his past accomplishment in the NFL. And, it's looking more and more like coach Weis needs to be upstairs calling plays rather than down on the side lines. And, do you call out the other individual postings on here when they make comparisons toward Mangino? I'm getting tired of the hypocrites that seem to blast me for me expressing my disgust with the shape the football program is in. The powers that be have ran off 2 damn good football coaches from Lawrence in my life time. Coach Mason and Mangino. I love KU basketball as much as the next KU fan. But, somebody at KU should've realized back in the '80's when Coach Gottfried was at Kansas, football facilities need to be upgraded and more money apportioned to the football program in order to keep a quality football coach around. Seems like they figured that out at Silo Tech in the late '80's.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 2 months ago

Mason ran himself off and he set the table by flirting with going and at the last minute deciding to stay. I believe this all occurred right before the '95 Aloha Bowl. He left the next year for Minnesota.

Michael Maris 1 year, 2 months ago

It all started well before 1995 season. KU powers that be back prior to 1995 season and to this very day still put more emphasis towrds the basketball program then they ever have towards the football program. Mason wanted the Ohio State job his entire football coaching career. He never got it. He was ran out of town due to the fact the football program got chjmp change each and every year. So, Georgia came calling and the money was there for him. He had a change of heart and stayed for one more season. Perhaps, the 1996 team quit on Mason before the season even begin (due to Mason flirtation with Georgia). Alumni turned on Mason well before the 1995 season.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 2 months ago

The'96 team did quit on Mason and I don't blame them after the BS he pulled. He handled that whole situation without an ounce of class. I had no respect for him afterwords. So it sounds like you want to blame the "the powers that be" for every coaching failure since the 1969 Orange Bowl on the unbalanced emphasis on the basketball program. Up until 2006 any money spent on football facilities went towards the maintenance and upgrades to Memorial Stadium. In 2006 they started construction on the Anderson Football Center and that was completed in 2008. KU went to bowls in 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008. The pinnacle of bowls for KU during that period was the 2007 Orange Bowl. These were achieved while the only facility upgrades had been the afore mentioned maintenance projects. The Anderson Center which added all the trappings of a division one football program necessary to entice top recruits and coaching (offices, a weight room, locker rooms, an audio-visual room, meeting rooms, a cardio room, a hydro-therapy room, a nutrition area , a display area, new practice fields )was completed in July of 2008. This spurred KU on to the Insight Bowl against Minnesota (coached by Mason). Since then KU has not returned to a bowl. In my opinion, and I don't think you would argue with it, the failures of the football team do rest squarely on on the shoulders of 'the powers that be' for running off Mangino and hiring Turner Gill thereby setting back to football program by at least 5 years. In conclusion I believe the poor choices in hiring have done more to harm the program than unbalanced spending on facilities. I would be remiss here if I did not include the history of spending on the Basketball facilities. I will mentioned that however briefly now. I think it suffices at this point to mention that Allen Field-house was completed in 1955. There have been significant additions to the basketball facilities in 1984, 2005 (Video Scoreboard), 2009 (Booth Family Hall). But again I contend it was the choices of coaches along the way (Larry Brown, Roy Williams, Bill Self) that had a bigger impact than upgrades to the facilities. I can not however argue against the fact that we do have a great home field advantage in Allen Field-house but a large part of the credit their has to go to the students and the coaches that put a winning product on the hardwood.

Michael Maris 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, but Glen Mason was NOT the head coach at Minnesota for their 2008 campaign. Tim Brewster was the Minnesota Coach in their 2008 season.

Poor choices have been made in the hiring of football coaches. But, as many stories have been reported. Roy Williams did NOT want Terry Allen fired (as Roy thought he was a good guy). And, when the AD (Al Bohl) fired Allen and hired Mangino and allowed Mangino's more $$$$$$$$$$'s to hire his assistants, it pissed Roy off and we all know where that led to. Thank god for Bill Self!

Do you not remember reading the past article about Glen Mason making the comment about how he wished KU would've spent the $$$$$$$'s back when he was coaching at Kansas on the facilities that KU now has? Remember, Mason is a Buckeye through thick and thin. He has seen what $$$$$$$$$$'s can do for an Athletic Department at a University that wants to compete at the highest level. And, I happen to be very good friends with a current Ohio State Fan. He personally knows the OC at Youngstown State and has informed me that the players at Youngstown State love Mangino. There were a few cry babies on the '09 team and they turned on Mangino (once Lew ''Let me Destroy College Football in the State of Kansas ie" Wichita State and his tenure at Kansas) Perkins allowed the cry babies to express their opinions. Football Coaches are not always the nicest guys around. But in the end, those former players respect and learn to love what their former coaches taught them.

I see a lot of posters on here pissing and moaning about current AD (Dr. Sheahon Zenger) and his mistake of hiring Charlie Weis. Yet, I can remember when Weis was hired, a LOT of those same posters praising AD Zenger for his hiring. I support Dr. Zenger. He's a Football guy (who realizes that the Basketball Ship is in good hands right now). The Ohio State University seems to be perfectly fine with having a DAMN good football and basketball program. As is Florida. And, I won't be surprised when Texas decides to go after Buzz Williams @ Marquette (after deciding that Rick Barnes has already hit his peak moment at U of Texas). It can be done (both in Football and Basketball).

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 2 months ago

My comments about facilities not leading to success still stand. Nice guy or not, not firing Terry Allen would have been a mistake. He was a terrible coach. Coaches build teams, not facilities. I won't disagree that you can be successful in both BBall and Football but not for long at the same time. Texas is on the downslope in both sports. Kansas at least has been on top in one sport for a lot longer than anyone in both sports.

Michael Maris 1 year, 2 months ago

You obviously do not understand my earlier comment about the facilities issues. What I'm talking about is that Coach Mason and Mangino wanted to see the University / AD Program commit to the football program. And, that meant dedicating money to the Football Facilities, Assistant Coaching Staff Salaries, etc.... Did that NOT happen back in the late 1980's / early 1990's @ Silo Tech? I'm not saying that $$$$$$$$ being solely apportioned to facilities will automatically lead to success. But, it can sure help a quality coach in his recruiting abilities. If you are a recruit and you are looking at facilities at the respective Universities that the recruit might be considering. Do you choose the school with the improved / new all around facilities? Or, does the recruit chose the University with the dilapidated facilities (if they have their choice of the 2 Universities to attend)? Coach Snyder showed the Powers that be @ Silo Tech that he was going to be putting a winning product on the field each and every season. So, he wanted to see that Silo Tech lived up to their end (as well). Do you think Snyder would've stayed at Silo Tech, had the powers that be ignored Coach Snyder request/desires? I tend to think that Snyder would've moved on. But, Silo Tech Administrators were smart enough to see facility improvements needed to be made and the fan base was demanding it (as well) by continuing to show up at Silo Tech games. Allen Field House is a great facility. Improvements have been made over the years to keep up with the ever changing landscape / environment at the NCAA College Basketball level. And, KU continues to get quality coaches (who can show recruits the facilities, banners, etc......).

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 2 months ago

Well our facilities were upgraded towards the end of the Mangino era. That was not enough to overcome the futility of Turner Gill.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

The football team was ready for Mason to leave because his ego was too big for his britches. Despite his ability to bring a winner to Kansas he was becoming a jerk, going to bars and hitting on college girls and making an ass of himself at basketball games. We all thought it was hilarious he expected OSU to hire him when they fired Cooper. Oh, the stories lol.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

I hated seeing Mason go. Mason's biggest problem is he started about the same time as Snyder started at KSU. He would have gotten a lot more love from KU fans had he not always been in Snyder's shadow.

Mangino had to go. Everybody talks like that was some sort of witch hunt on Perkin's part, but Mangino quit recruiting after winning the Orange Bowl. He was convinced he was going to get a better job soon, and he quit working. It was the long losing streak at the end of that season that got him fired. Do you think if those allegations had come out after the Orange Bowl year, he would have been fired? No way.

He was probably on too short of a leash at that point, and probably deserved another year or two to turn things back around, but does anyone believe he could have become a successful recruiter again with the allegations of player mistreatment? It was a firing that, unfortunately, had to happen.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 2 months ago

Who ran off Mason? He did the two-step with Georgia and lost the players! I happen to agree with you on Weiss, I too have a hard time understanding why he can't get the weight under control. I'm not saying he should be svelt, but a little weight loss wouldn't be such a bad thing. I'm not saying he's any less of a person for being heavy, but you'd think he'd be more motivated.

leonard 1 year, 2 months ago

protonhawk, I don't care about their weight...but I agree 100% about the performance of Weis and Grunhard.

I'm not in any way calling for Charlie's ouster...but when Charlie looks in the mirror to shave in the morning he better recognize an offensive coach that is not getting it done. Overall, our team has shown enough improvement from last year to warrant optimism...but Charlie has not.

The problem with the offense is more than just play calling...as bizarre as it has been at times...it's just as much about the entire scheme. Each Saturday I watch football games all over the country and see teams moving the ball up and down the field and most are not lead by an offensive genius (Charlie's reputation). In all three games this year, we had enough talent and size to be more than competitive...with pretty puny results. C'mon Charlie, it's time to make an adjustment...and the upcoming bye week is the perfect place to start.

Grunhard and his offensive line? They were clowned and beaten up today...especially Sterling. Toughness and performance better improve drastically over the next two weeks.

Other than that...yeehaw Jayhawks...a win is a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

Agree completely. We have shown signs of improvement, but when I see teams all day score as if they're on a date with Lindsey Lohan I can't help, but wonder what needs to be changed.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Forgot to mention I. Johnson's penalty on third and 8 that kept their drive alive. Hope they still have some muscle building going on during the season for the O-line. So good to see special teams making the difference. Really missed that the last couple of years.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 2 months ago

So it looks like most of the posters here think we have the players to be better than we are. I am not one of them.

Pbbut 1 year, 2 months ago

Several play calls had me scratching my head, but two I'll mention and fail to understand are the call after Heeney's INT at the 47. First play a low percentage deep ball that had almost no chance for completion. The second was after the "hands to the face" on LaTech, we again go low percentage from the 15. It seems like we were constantly 2nd and Long.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

I noticed that too. I don't mond taking the occasional shot downfield, but with our lack of speed getting a quick 5 yards in a pass play is very effective

Billy Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Isiah Johnson was a definite gasser. He was always playing 7 yards off his man. The qb wouldn't even glance anywhere else. Throw it to the left,6 yards. Over and over. Then the penalty on him towards the end. Luckily he got bailed out. The short passing game was essentially their running attack and therefore made their qb's numbers and completion percentage quite skewed. La tech gashing us that bad, Oklahoma, Baylor, TT etc are going to be extremely tough. We need about 6 more Ben Heeneys.

kay_you 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd give a gasser to the fans that didn't show. Don't know what the attendance was but it looked less than SDU which I beleive was about 40k.

Give a game ball to the fans that did show up.

And, a game ball to Mundine for his touchdown. Nice catch and run.

MinnesotaJay 1 year, 2 months ago

A well-deserved congratulations to Matthew Wyman! But, HELLO! Trevor Pardula AVERAGED 57.6 yards on five punts!!! Holy (expletive deleted)! There's a big pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

So, the good news is we've got an awesome punter. But, the bad news is we're really going to need him.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

Pardula saved the day by not providing good field position all day to the opponents. Otherwise KU got manhandled at all positions, especially the offensive and defensive lines. Did anyone notice how many KU players limped off the field as compared to LA Tech? KU players got beat up. Not much to say about this game other than KU was lucky to come out with a win.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 2 months ago

Coaches, tuck in your shirts and look professional. It wasn't that hot out and all the coaches on the other side had theirs tucked!