Friday, September 20, 2013

KU, UK basketball vying for prep Oubre

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

It appears to be a Kansas University-Kentucky recruiting battle for Kelly Oubre, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound senior shooting guard from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev.

“I think it’s fair to say that (KU and UK) are the front-runners in the process right now,” Oubre’s dad, Kelly Oubre Sr., told Cats Illustrated.com, which is Kentucky’s Rivals.com website.

“That still could change, but right now that’s where we are at. Part of the reason that we haven’t done a ton of visits is because he feels strongly about those two. For a lack of a better word, they’re front-runners. I wouldn’t say either one is in front of the other, it’s pretty much neck and neck,” Oubre Sr., added.

Oubre, who is ranked No. 12 nationally in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, averaged 23 points and 11 rebounds last season for Bush High School in Fort Bend, Texas. He also has Florida, Georgetown, Louisville, Oregon, UConn and UNLV on his list.

Oubre will attend KU’s Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 4 and Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness on Oct. 18. He has yet to set up any other visits.

Rivalries squashed: KU, it has been well documented, has no plans of scheduling Missouri in football or basketball because of the Tigers’ decision to leave the Big 12 for the SEC.

It seems Duke has similar plans of avoiding Maryland, because of the Terps’ decision to leave the ACC for the Big Ten. Duke hoops coach Mike Krzyzewski told Washington D.C. radio station ESPN 980 that the only way his team will ever play Maryland again is in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Krzyzewski said Duke typically likes to schedule nonconference games against teams out of its conference area.

“I have a great deal of respect for Maryland,” Krzyzewski said as quoted by the Sporting News after last year’s regular-season game at Maryland. “If it was such a rivalry, they’d still be in the ACC. Obviously they don’t think it’s that important, or they wouldn’t be in the Big Ten.”

Anderson recovering: Former KU signee Braeden Anderson, who transferred to Fresno State in the fall of 2011 after being declared ineligible for financial aid at KU by the Big 12, has been providing updates on his physical condition on his Facebook account. Anderson suffered a serious neck injury after he and Fresno State walk-on Kyle Jackson were in a four-vehicle crash on Sept. 3 in Fresno.

Anderson, who averaged 4.1 points and 3.5 boards in 10 games after becoming eligible for Fresno last season, will miss the 2013-14 season but is expected to make a full recovery.

He was a passenger in one of the vehicles. Jackson was not injured seriously.

“I have so many amazing people in my life. Right now I will admit it’s hard, but your prayers and love keep me strong. I have lost about 30lbs, but I will come back even stronger! The comeback.(AGAIN),” Anderson wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.

On Monday, he wrote: “Admittedly I am in a lot of pain. In fact, before this incident I will admit that I had no idea how large the scale of pain actually was. I would not have thought it possible to endure so much pain without death. Of course people tell me how lucky I am to be alive, and to be in a group supported by less that 1% of people who survive this type of injury, but it’s also too soon to celebrate. The pain continues... But as I feel pain... I feel alive... I feel the will to live... And live well. I have always been a fighter, and I surely didn’t need something like this to prove I was... But if there was any question in anyone’s mind before... Take heed. I’m a survivor.”

Comments

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Sorry to hear about Braeden's accident, but glad to hear that he is fighting toward recovery. I was hit by a truck while at KU, and can relate to what he is going thru. Still thankful for the army that surrounded me, and stronger than ever. Fight on Braeden!

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Does Dad Oubre make anyone else feel nervous?

Dirtyphog 7 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking that when I read it.. When parents do interviews and are too involved with the recruiting process publicly it always makes it seem somewhat strange. If he does decide on KU, welcome and Rock Chalk, hopefully he doesn't bring any drama associated with having parents in the recruiting process like shabazz and ucla

justanotherfan 7 years, 1 month ago

Why is having involved parents a concern. I would say quite the opposite, as this means he's probably well grounded and has some strong family support. Isn't that what you would want - a recruit to be well grounded?

I know when I was growing up having my parents there to help guide me through big decisions was a huge bonus. I don't think this is any different. If I had a D-1 caliber athlete in my household, I know I would be very involved as a parent.

Dirtyphog 7 years, 1 month ago

No no, it's the parents that enjoy the spotlight more than their kids.. The ones that do all the interviews or have something to say everyday. I'm absolutely for kids having family throughout the crazy recruiting process.. But when the parents seem to enjoy the attention more than their kids it just seems strange to me

jhox 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't sense this at all from his comments. He's just a Dad talking about where his kid is at in the recruiting process. We've just grown so accustomed to hearing stories of parents on the take that we tend to look at even innocent comments with suspicion, especially when Kentucky is involved.

Jayhawk444 7 years, 1 month ago

It does me. I immediately thought of Carl Henry and how we seemingly couldn't go a single day without hearing about something he had to say regarding Xavier and/or CJ.

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

I think the recent experience with Henry (and I had forgotten about Padgett) makes people nervious.

Benz Junque 7 years ago

Henry's statements wre never unprompted. Reporters call these people and ask them questions.

Benz Junque 7 years ago

Henry's statements were never unprompted. Reporters call these people and ask them questions.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, it's nice to see recruits that have dads in their lives.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Definitely agree on dad's being involved, but seems to be a difference between being involved and apparently taking the lead in responding to the media. While I wasn't thinking of Shabaz or any notion of corruption, Padget and Henry did come to mind.

brooksmd 7 years, 1 month ago

I would think letting dad handle media questions takes away some of the hassle involved in recruiting and lets the kid focus on his hs bb and grades. He answers enough questions when he's at various tournaments and camps.

hawk316 7 years, 1 month ago

Fatherlessness is an acutely critical issue in our culture today, so I'm with you, HighElite. I understand the concern expressed by others, however, because an extremely controlling father can be detrimental, as well (not saying that this is the case here). But thank God Kelly has a father who is involved in his life.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

99% of the time I agree but it's the Carl Henrys of this world we remember the most.

texashawk10 7 years, 1 month ago

Not really, unless he has a reputation which I haven't heard about so I don't see his dad making a statement as being a big deal.

Benz Junque 7 years ago

It does not make me feel nervous AT ALL that a parent is making comments about hsi recruitment. THEY ARE HIS PARENTS. Heck, I am glad to hear that the young man HAS a father that is involved in his life.

What makes me nervous are when AAU coaches are the ones making public statements about a kids recruitment. Yuck...

phogfusion 7 years, 1 month ago

Not sure but let's make up an assistant coaching slot somewhere and boom problem solved...

Justin Steele 7 years, 1 month ago

Oubre's build and offensive game reminds me of Brandon Rush a little bit. He would be a nice piece how many scholarships are we going to have avaliable? His Dad worries me like dagger said?

Ted Hume 7 years, 1 month ago

So far we'll only have two to give, with a really solid hope of signing our 3 top, KU-leaning prospects, Oubre, Alexander and Lyle (package deal). This seems to be our best scenario (assuming Turner and Okafor are not KU leans). I think that if Johnson goes to Kentucky, Oubre should pick KU, since they essentially are the two best prospects at their position. Where will the extra scholarship come from? I think the staff is pretty sure we'll have one more early entry to the League, and so they're not worried about it. If not, a transfer will surely materialize by the late spring...

jhox 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm not so sure Okafor isn't a KU lean as well, and he's supposedly looking to play with top PG Tyus Jones. They will work it out if those guys all want to come.

Benz Junque 7 years ago

First come, first serve, fellas. I would strongly recommend that whoever feels the pull to come to KU after Late Night pull the trigger on the spot or they will be left without a spot at KU. We have more elite athletes wanting a spot at KU than we have spots. It's a very good spot to be in.

I don't see KU being involved in the late recruiting period unless there is an additional unexpected departure.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm pretty sure that Oubre, Cliff Alexander and Myles Turner and were all strong KU leans. Is anyone familiar with this site and its reliability?:

Here are some of their predictions:

That would be a pretty hard class to beat if Kansas landed all three.

TXBBall55 7 years, 1 month ago

Interesting that three of the most recent four have Kensucky. I wonder if something has changed and now Kensucky is the favored horse.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Could be dagger, that was why I hoped someone had more info on the site.

Robin Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

247 is legit. It's the CBS recruiting service and it's buying up dedicated recruiting blogs, like The Shiver.

Robin Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

OH and if you want a good site that is comprehensive and compiles information from all of the major pay sites then Verbal Commits is the one.

Robert Brock 7 years, 1 month ago

Oubre's outside shot doesn't remind me of Rush. ;

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

I think we get Alexander and Lyle. We should land 1-2 of Oubre, Turner, and maybe Okafor. I don't think we'll sweep like some think. However, we get either Turner or Okafor. Oubre is now a horse race against uk. I would love Oubre, but we are pretty solid at the 3 for a few years. I would like to land either Turner or Okafor, Alexander and Lyle. I love having a solid pg. A three way sweep of Turner, Okafor and Alexander is possible, but a bit unlikely.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

Interesting question here .. do we over-recruit? Meaning, if we get Alexander, Lyle, and Oubre, do we accept all three commitments (when we only have two scholarships presumably available -- Wiggins/Black)? That would mean 14 players for 13 scholarships. One would have to go. Sounds like it could be an issue with what's on the table, even if getting 3 of these top guys is still a long-shot. Though it seems more possible each day.

Over-recruiting .. or over-signing .. isn't pretty. You are blatantly showing a scholarship player the door. On the other hand, as we sit here now, many of us except at least one transfer anyway even if we don't over-recruit/over-sign.

There was a bit of a dust-up when Pitino had 15 players committed for 13 spots last fall. I would say that Self might find himself in an interesting spot in the coming months.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering why Louisville was losing so many of their commits.

It seems that we lose at least one scholarship player that we didn't expect to.. at least not at the beginning of the season. But it is obviously risky to recruit expecting to lose someone to the NBA or transferring. I'm sure Self has already figured Wiggins to be gone along with Tarik Black but what about any other players?

The only other player that I feel confident is a OAD is Selden but wouldn't want to see someone forced out if he decided to stay.

Mickelson is ineligible to play next season.. Is there any way of using his spot?

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

The only way to use Mickelson's spot is to take away his scholarship. If you do that, then he leaves school and doesn't improve and never comes back.

It would be unfair and wrong to do that.

However, Self often does "over-recruit" because you expect to have early departures and transfers. Unfortunately if you don't have early departures than that means that you probably have to "encourage" a transfer. I think that this happened with Tyrone Appleton and Quintrell Thomas in 2008.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 1 month ago

HEM, are you expecting a transfer--any transfer? Or did you have somebody specific in mind like Mason, Lucas, or White?

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

I am .. I expect if we land multiple top guys, we could see two guys go, even if we lose three as OADs. Here's why - the new guys coming are so highly ranked that they will jump ahead of other guys. For example, Oubre being told he's coming in to take Wiggins spot. If Selden goes too, you still have two of White/Greene/Frankamp on the bench. Oubre isn't a presumed OAD.

Another example is we get Turner or Alexander - Even if Embiid goes pro, your pecking order is Ellis, Turner or Alexander, Traylor, Mickelson, Lucas. Lucas just doesn't play. What if Embiid stays, or we get both Turner and Alexander? Lucas would be 6th in the pecking order (and I'm assuming the it's Lucas .. it could be Traylor, too).

Another example is Lyle - this would likely relegate Mason behind him, and Lyle isn't a presumed OAD. Lyle could be a 3 year player.

And where would Frankamp fit with the Oubre-Lyle stuff?

All this without even taking into account that Self is trying to get top guys in 2015.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Shades of ethical ambivalence float near the edges of our program? I'd say this to all of our scholarship pine riders: Don't be flappin' yer jaws like Rio!

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

I really think Self is planning on losing Black, Wigs, and Embiid. We know that pending Selden's year, he may jump too. We'll have 2 for sure and Embiid will likely have the year many expect. We should have 3 at year's end. I also think 4 may be avail with Selden. I would rather over recruit than under recruit.

Ted Hume 7 years, 1 month ago

I would not be surprised in the least if we signed 4, but think we'll definitely sign 3. either the package deal of Alexander and Lyle plus either Turner or Oubre (i think the superfecta of Alexander/Lyle and Jones/Okafor would never, ever, happen- so it's one duo or the other). And if I had to speculate, well, that's what we do here... I'd say either Embiid or Selden jumps depending on how Self manages their minutes and scoring (esp. Embiid) and we get one unlucky musical chairs-1st-man-without-a-chair-goes transfer come April... for a total of 4 new faces

KANSTUCKY 7 years, 1 month ago

Can't Morningstar pay for his own way? Yuk, yuk, yuk...

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

The more I think about it, I don't think Self would hesitate to sign 4 guys, figuring the chances of Embiid and Selden being OAD are fairly high. If he is wrong, then you end up with the situation where somebody has to go. I can imagine that the year we got caught a little short when the Morii left is still fresh in his mind.

Robin Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't think it's 'over-recruiting' nor do I think he does anything explicitly unethical when it's all said and done.

I have a feeling the recruits understand and that Self is honest with everyone. With some of the comments/actions by certain recruits it seems like some would commit today if Self didn't have them in some kind of holding pattern. It will probably be a race to commit for some of these guys after Late Night weekend. We'll also know the correct way to read it when someone says they're waiting until the spring.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Braeden is a very well spoken young athlete, considering that he was a kid whom the Big 12 evaluated as academically ineligible. I have always wondered if the NCAA recognizes and accepts GED passing scores for scholarship eligibility. If so, do major conferences follow suit?

wrwlumpy 7 years, 1 month ago

Boot camp over. Tweet photo from Snacks. Congrats to Hudy. Wow.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 1 month ago

Is that Tyler on the far left? And if so, what is with his straight-arm-flex!! That cracks me up....

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

I was thinking the same thing about Tyler. Showing off that triceps muscle.

Meanwhile, Frank Mason is ripped. He and Tharpe both. Hopefully that turn that into phsyical play at the PG spot. It seems that short guards are having to get more and more muscle in compete in the Big 12. Sherron was a wrecking ball. Little Mac from OSU was pretty thick, and now these guys.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 1 month ago

And what's with everyone flashing 'the shocker'? Well, Tarik, Jamari, and Niko at least...

texashawk10 7 years, 1 month ago

They're getting to go two in the pink, one in the stink.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

Are those sixpacks real or are they photo-shopped. The Hawks look like a bunch of extras from an old Hercules movie!!

Robin Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

There's definitely a high contrast filter on that photo, but they are legitimately ripped.

Jonny Swift 7 years, 1 month ago

Daaaamn that's a great pic. Is that the same Andrew White? I remember him being a twig last year and now he's ripped. Definitely Hudy-ized. Glad to see Traylor, Lucas, and Tharpe Hudy-ized as well.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Gotta laugh seeing Conner stick his head out to be in the photo.

Just nail them 3s Conner and no one will care if you don't have 18' guns coming out of your sleeves.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

WOW! Hudyized is right! Tyshawn could have really utilized this bunch to assist him in his scuffles with the pigskin brigade.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Introspective Perry Ellis, framed quietly in distant relief, clocking steady seconds 'til tipoff. The Silent Assassin....

Ron Franklin 7 years, 1 month ago

...while Lucas admires his HudyHamstrings in disbelief. "Wow, these feel amazing"

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

I wondered WTH Lucas was doing. It looks like the makings of another Harlem Shake.

IgnorantYokel 7 years, 1 month ago

We should cement a rivalry with Duke. Get both ADs to announce an unprecedented 10-year one-for-one in basketball.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

Better yet, make it a home and home, each year, for a decade!!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I really hope we sign Oubre. He's a versatile player who is best at 3, has good height and maybe he could bring his teammate Rashad Vaughn over with him.

Would hate to see him go to UK.. I think he will most likely wait to make his decision but in other articles I've read, I thought Kansas was his first choice. Can't blame the top recruits waiting to see where they will fit in best.

I wonder what percentage of five-star recruits are hoping to jump into the NBA after one year?

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

We have a pretty good record for Late Night commitments. I think Selden and Wigs basically said that Late Night was a huge factor.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I thought Wiggins looked bored sitting w/his parents watching a game when he did visit.

I was completely surprised when he committed. I didn't think he would go to Kentucky - just too many other top recruits - but getting the possible best recruit in the last decade or so was a great surprise.

Evan Bilyeu 7 years, 1 month ago

Well said, but how do you get big heads? I have always wanted to bring one!

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Warning: Controversial take on The Designer.

6-7 200 lb shooting guard Oubre and 6-8 shooting guard/forward Wiggins make something very clear about Perry Ellis. These are the kind of players the NBA takes OAD AT THIS SIZE. The NBA does not take tweener power forwards as OADs and has only marginal use for them after several years of college.

Perry sure as hell could have and should have conditioned playing for a school entirely on playing shooting guard/forward! Then he should have spent however long it took to develop a perimeter game.

Even if his development were slow at a less than stellar program, it would have been a sound path for him.

If tyrel Reed can increase his foot speed and agility the way he did, a better athlete like Perry sure could. Worst case, Perry would have become a Lock down perimeter enforcer for the L--a 6-8 Ron Artest. But Perry almost certainly would develop an adequate trey with a couple years of work. And he's a natural scorer to boot.

Again, Perry's career as a power forward in the NBA appears very limited at this time, even if he has a TRob breakout. He will get a good contract and the wrong role. Therefore, IMO, he is wasting his time and earning opportunity bulking up to play power forward for KU and for Self. He should instead be leaning up and spending all his time working on his footwork, ball handling, and perimeter shooting, even if he has to take four years to do it. All his work on rebounding and back to the basket game will be useless in the NBA at power forward at his size and level of aggressiveness. At his size, with just a bit more aggressiveness, at the shooting guard/forward positions, he would be an every game MUA even in the pros.

The Designer will probably have a fine season for KU this year at the 4, probably be pivotal in KU's success, and probably be our leading scorer, for as Self rightly says, the toughest thing for D1 defenses to cover is a strong 4 that can move hi-lo AND step out and stretch a defense , and drive. He could become quite a bit better at this than even TRob, because of his natural scoring ability.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

But it doesn't translate to the pros, as Thomas has learned. All Thomas can do is shed his offense and play to his monster strength as a rebounder. But Perry lacks that gift. He is a scorer and he needs to learn a spot he can score from in the NBA.

If I were Perry, I would rather work on my perimeter game and foot speed than muscle up to bang in college, because it makes most sense, even if I had to transfer to do it.

Gulp! I can't believe I wrote that.

I know. I will go to legacy hell for writing that. But I like Perry Ellis. I like that he is a bright Kansan, who could go far in the right role. He has proven he is a good athlete by playing out of position at the power forward slot (same as Marcus Morris) and adapting under adversity to play a style that is not his strength. I am rooting for the best for him. I am rooting for him to get his shot at the 3 next year. But Oubre may make that impossible.

Ted Hume 7 years, 1 month ago

I really admire that you've put this out there 'bate; good honest take. Mostly because it puts to rest the fear that Perry will "jump" after this year, because of everything you've stated about what role a 6'8" PF can play in the League: little to none. I love Perry too and hope he is the rock in our swing hi-low for a couple more years while he finds a way to gradually shift his skill set for a chance at a solid, if modest NBA career. If a beastly monster 6'8" PF like Robinson can't break out of a narrow role in the NBA, how will Perry? Let's (us and him) keep him here and happy and enjoying some of the best 3-4 years of his life, and not worry about the future just yet, right?

Michael Luby 7 years, 1 month ago

Make a good point man. It reminds me of a similar situation at Duke with Jabari Parker. He isn't an NBA 4 man. He's way more of a perimeter guy it seems and yet Coach K will play him as a 4.
Im just comparing the situations here.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I've never thought of Ellis being a power forward. He just doesn't have the size or strength that a power forward needs in the NBA. I know they have different games but (and this is pure conjecture on my part) I think Brandon Rush has the game that Ellis needs to develop.

He needs is to improve his outside shot including 3s and still have the strength to go hard at the rim. Ellis needs to be patient and not worry about getting to the NBA, he will get his shot. If he puts the work in and is willing to play a little outside of his normal game, he will do just fine.

Great read jaybate

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

I guess I disagree .. but I have to say that my knowledge of the NBA is lacking. So take my opinion with a grain of salt (even more so than normal).

I don't think that Perry has the look of a 3 at any level. He shoots a low shot, somewhat like Manning did. His footwork defensively presents no evidence that he can cover a 3. And he doesn't have a quick step to the basket .. for a 4, yes. For a 3, no. He is not a very good ball handler. I'm sure he'll get picked in the first round, and be an adequate NBA back up. Maybe a guy as he matures in the league his game will expand a bit.

But more importantly, this team needs him as a 4. We have, respectfully, unskilled, low ranked players that would move up a notch -- Lucas and Traylor.

Right now, this is about KU basketball. Not what might be best for Perry Ellis. Stay at the 4 my friend. You'll get a first round NBA contract and will be set for life. And we might win a national title as a result.

texashawk10 7 years, 1 month ago

I think Perry can make it as a 4 because the NBA is moving more towards the direction of athletes because of the rules changes and a lack of good, true centers in the league. What we're seeing now in NBA front courts is a guy who plays almost exclusively in the low post like a traditional PF does and the second post spot is usually a stretch 4 who plays a lot in the post, but has enough shooting ability and handles to play some on the perimeter and knock down some 3's. Look at the Heat last year, LeBron played plenty of 4 for the Heat when Haslem was out and nobody would call James a true 4. Perry Ellis can make it as a 4 in the NBA, but like most players, it'll be all about opportunity for him and who drafts him in the future that determines his level of success.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Is it a lack of true centers or just the game evolving? Looking at the NBA and the traditional center ala Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing or even Shaq and it's clear the game has changed.

I still think Ellis will most likely be a SF but like HEM, I just don't follow the NBA that much.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] Available scholarships won't be a problem next season.....sadly, Jo Jo and Wayne will be scooped up by the NBA because they are both just radioactive with the "P" Word.

2] Someone above posted that Hunter Mickelson was ineligible "next" season. I sure hope they meant "this" season or we've got a real problem.

3] In September, there's always a lot of talk among recruits about playing college ball with their friends. However, come May and it's signature time, that talk generally dies down.

4] However, with Cliff and Myles, both from the same region and both very close to Coach Howard, they look like the true exception.

5] I love the fact that Perry Ellis is the "Claude Raines" of the Jayhawks...very invisible and very dangerous.

6] The supporting cast coming back in 2014 looks pretty darn good with Naadir, Frank, Brannen, Perry, AWIII, Connor, Landon, Hunter and Jamari so plugging in 2 or 3 OADs will keep us right near the top!! Cliff and Myles would be awesome!!

Robin Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

1] agreed, though I would not be surprised if those two stuck around

2] he's sitting this season out for normal transfer reasons

3] agreed. I read most of that talk as PR jockeying.

4] agreed (and you mean JaQuan Lyle btw; Myles Turner is the big from TX)

5] Perry is gonna dominate this year

6] It's a tough life being a Jayhawk fan

Michael Luby 7 years, 1 month ago

Man, I'll probly get blasted for this but after Elijah Johnson, Im very skeptical of anyone coming out of Findlay Prep.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

Aw, what the heck..go get blasted while you're at it!!

Dirk Medema 7 years, 1 month ago

Mostly sad that you apparently aren't able to see much further than the end of your nose. You seem to have completely missed EJ being a crucial piece of our FF run in 2012. EJ was phenomenal throughout his time here and I'm excited that he was/is a Jayhawk. I'll gladly take another "EJ" from Findlay, Gary or anywhere else, not that being from a school or city makes them a carbon copy of their predecessor.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 1 month ago

Did Elijah even go to Findlay Prep? I thought he went to Cheyenne High in Vegas...

Steve Gantz 7 years, 1 month ago

If that's true then see what I wrote below.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 1 month ago

Interesting piece in Sports Illustrated on the two or more high schools athlete like Oubre and the likelihood of them transferring. Now maybe Oubre is that good that he'll stick around for a year or two and go pro, but the article says that 33% of the kids who attend at least 2 high schools will transfer. 60% of four HS kids will transfer.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Good article, wish they broke it down to conferences or top 25 teams. The study seemed to use only the number of athletes to the number of transfers. Without actually doing the numbers, I don't think those percentages hold at Kansas.

I don't see Oubre transferring wherever he goes. I'm sure he's thinking two years at the most and wouldn't want to sit out a year. But who knows? If Selby had played another year at Kansas or transferred, I think he would have been a first-round draft pick.

Brad Farha 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm sending all positive thoughts and best wishes to Braeden Anderson and his family. Such tough news..

Scott Smetana 7 years, 1 month ago

After Calisleazy does a home visit, the couch undoubtedly has Slo Glo all over it.