Friday, September 20, 2013

Boot Camp is over; Bill Self impressed with Jayhawks

Kansas head coach Bill Self takes questions during a news conference following the NCAA selection show, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s one-week version of basketball Boot Camp ended about 7 this morning in the Jayhawks’ practice facility.

“The guys did great. I mean really good. It’s probably as good a group as we’ve ever had,” KU coach Bill Self assessed after all of his players made their times during their 30 “suicide sprints” — that is, running halfcourt and back, 3/4 court and back and fullcourt and back.

“Everybody made it. I was very pleased and impressed with how hard they worked and how hard they went all week,” Self added.

Self, KU’s 11th-year coach, quickly said “all of them,” when asked which players stood out during Monday-to-Friday conditioning workouts from 6 to 7 a.m. Junior Naadir Tharpe actually ran 36 suicide sprints this morning because as point guard/team leader he was asked to help lead two groups of players.

“The new guys did great. Everybody did well. I was pleased with them all. I would say the most consistent guy we had all week was probably Andrew White. I thought Naadir Tharpe was really good. Of course, Tarik Black. I would say to me, those may be the ones who stood out the most, but they all did good.

“They all helped each other out. Today got a little long and tough for them. They pulled it back together and helped each other. I thought it was a pretty good team building experience.”

Boot Camp at KU normally encompasses two weeks, but Self held just one week this year because of the early start to practice. Teams can begin a week from today in accordance with NCAA rules, instead of Friday closest to Oct. 15 of past years.

“I think the guys caught a break with it being one week,” Self said, “but I don’t think two weeks would have been smart. I will say this. It was good, but it was harder this year than what it has been in other years.”

The players will hold individual workouts next week and play unsupervised pick-up games next week while taking a break from heavy conditioning, Self said. Late Night in the Phog is Oct. 4.

Comments

Dirtyphog 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad to see Tharpe stepping up into a leading role, with the addition of mason I think it has given him real competition and motivation to step up. Between Tharpe and AW3 I think they could be the veteran leadership for the young guys

Waylon Cook 4 years, 7 months ago

Much as 07 was supposed to be the year and we instead did it 08 13 and 14 could mirror that:)

Jesse Johnson 4 years, 7 months ago

Hmm, I don't know about the comparison. We only lost one rotation player between 07 and 08, whereas this year comprises an entirely new team compared to last year. I also feel, of all the post NC years, that 2010 and 2011 were the years that were supposed to be more so than any other. We exceeded expectations in 2012 with an extremely shallow team. Last year the disappointment wasn't so much THAT we lost to Michigan, but HOW we lost to Michigan. Last year I never thought of us as the best team in the land that deserved to win it all (remember TCU?) I think this year will be special though. I'm expecting at minimum a final four appearance, at very minimum.

archercc 4 years, 7 months ago

Hopeful for but couldnt say I am expecting. Its a very young team.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

Tarik Black is going to have a monster year. Out from the Memphis shackles that held him back last year, there will be a 2 year leap from the quality soph campaign. He knows this is his one year audition for the NBA/$, but you know that Coach Self let him know the team requirements. We'll get a lot closer to T-Rob's R/post-enforcer than a "Shabaz" chucker.

Let's Lucas & Jamari develop/learn that much more out of the spotlight, before they move into the role full time the next couple years. Big, big year coming!

Rock Chalk.

clevelandjayhawker 4 years, 7 months ago

Which website will be showing these "unsupervised pick-up games next week"?????

Steven Mathew 4 years, 7 months ago

Youtube. There will be a lot of camera phones in use at the rec center next week.

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 7 months ago

With basketball practice starting sooner I'm ok with boot camp being just a week. They got the hard work in and now time to get this team ready. It's going to be a fun ride.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 7 months ago

These guys are lucky-Freeman called it the "grind", running to the time lines, halfcourt, & full court; but that was a daily thing with him. Was really fond of the steps too. Another of his specialties was his "hamburger line". But I always thought his excitement for torture was peaked with the "20 minute run", outside in the dead of winter, usually sleeting or snowing, with no warm ups, except for him. He was just an absolute slave driver. Has been almost 50 yrs ago, but I still recall the immense pain he inflicted on us. Military boot was not a lot diff until live fire. Maybe that's the reason he had so many guys play pro ball & he & Purdy won all the state championships they did. That made no diff to those that suffered through the seasons. I played FB & JV hoops for him also, so I grew to detest him exponentially. When we finally got to Varsity hoops, we, ever so proudly, gave him the German salute (nose thumb)...of course behind his back.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 7 months ago

Bill Freeman was assistant to Dick Purdy (5 championships?) at Lawrence HS in the 80's & 90's & HC after Purdy's retirement. Won state championship at Leroy, maybe 2 more at Osawatomie, & maybe 4 or 5 at LHS. Derrick Jensen, Raiders Super Bowl Champs early 80's & Lynn Dickey, Green Bay QB were both his guys at OHS. BF was a badass guard who dared his linemen to get down with him. Many of them were 250-275# & BF was a lean 180. Many tried & many failed. Helluva coach but hated by most. Always repeated himself, repeated himself-like a friggin parrot. Many of his guys won multiple National JC Championships while at Fort Scott JC in the late 70's early 80's. Mel Gray played on a couple of those FS teams. Gray played in St Louis for many years-receiver & returner with blazing speed & jukebox moves.

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 7 months ago

t Bill Freeman was head FB and track coach at LHS from 1974 - 1990. He was never an assistant coach. Then Dick Purdy was head coach until 1999 when he retired and Dirk Wedd became head coach.

laray1703 4 years, 7 months ago

That would be Coffeville JC in the late 70's and early 80's and Mel played in 81-82 and 82-83.

BainDread 4 years, 7 months ago

"It’s probably as good a group as we’ve ever had,”- KU coach Bill Self.

Can anyone remember a single year in the last ten than he hasn't made this same comment at the end of Boot Camp?

Ron Franklin 4 years, 7 months ago

Andrew is Hungry, Hungry, Hungry. Bill senses it, and praises him for it. Way to go Andrew & Coach.

Dee Shaw 4 years, 7 months ago

With all the freshmen and new faces coming in this year you forget about players that were here last year. I really hope and expect good things this year from Andrew. Has a great looking shot. Here is a kid that could probably start on every team in the Big 12 (maybe not O.S.U.) and barely got much time last year. I think his attitude last year and so far this year has been awesome. I hope the best for this young man. Would love to see him come off the bench this year and average 6 to 8 pts.

Ian Emerson 4 years, 7 months ago

Braindead, please provide proof of suck an accusation

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 7 months ago

Somebody refresh my memory on this. Organized practices can't happen until whatever date the NCAA says is okay, in this case next week. That has always meant to me that coach supervised stuff is pretty much off limits before then. Why is "boot camp" okay? Is it because it's non basketball related, just conditioning. Just curious, can't remember how the NCAA views that.

kellerman411 4 years, 7 months ago

You get so many practices before a certain date. Like 10? Most coaches choose to do a lot of the baseline conditioning during these early practices, which is where the term "boot camp" may come from. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Tyler Fox 4 years, 7 months ago

They are allowed to get together for a certain amount of time each week for strength and conditioning and this is what boot camp represents. It's just geared toward running and conditioning on the court rather than lifting weights in the weight room.

Jory Collins 4 years, 7 months ago

Correct, you get a certain amount of time together in the preseason. Only part of that time can a ball be used (individuals or practice). Conditioning and strength training are also limited but don't count as practice.

wrwlumpy 4 years, 7 months ago

2 hrs per week is allowed, so if individual work outs are 2 hours, there will be time for each player with individual instruction.

Jory Collins 4 years, 7 months ago

You can't save anything for another week. You get 8 hours a week in the pre and post season. Two with a ball, six for conditioning/strength training. This is per calendar week. Just a few years ago you could only work with 4 players at a time. Now you can do whole team obviously.

hawkmoon2020 4 years, 7 months ago

What a roller coaster ride it has been, and continues to be, for predicting CS's rotation of players this season. Appeared to many of us that AWIII was high on the list for RS, and now, not so much. Good for him. And good for NT assuming and asserting his leadership role.

Regarding JE, did I miss any "singled out" "high praise" comments on him by CS over the last 3-4 months? I don't really recall. Personally, I think unless he closes in on his "potential" this season, he either stays, or accepts the fact that his draft stock has diminished to mid-late 1st round. I hope he turns out AWESOME this year, but he is a Freshman, and not a lot of BB experience/history.

I'm also thinking CS goes with 8 solid, and 3 with minor min. Players 7-11 would probably interchange depending player development and game circumstances.

WigglyJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I believe JE was one of the few players that attended the Adidas camp over the summer. Not sure if you could consider that as being singled out but I think it implies he's a top guy for us. He's also going to get a lot of exposure once the Wiggins circus starts. I hope he comes back and develops but I think he has Hakeem potential and most likely OAD.

Teejay Roden 4 years, 7 months ago

Sort of a non story. I think HCBS has said something similar after every boot camp. I was thinking AW3 was a RS candidate but it doesn't sound like it here. I kind of felt bad for him last year as the year wore on and the rotation contracted to 7 or 8 guys, but it sounds like he has a great attitude. I see him as similar to Relly or Morningstar.

Jack Joiner 4 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of Mel Gray from Ft Scott JC,(STL Cards) I played at BBCC that year and we also played against Mack Herron Hutch JC(NE Pats) and Larry Brown DC JC (Wash Redskins). Gray was Mr. everything to Stl. Mack set the all-time NFL all purpose yards with the Pats and Brown led the NFL in rushing. Looking back though, it was Mel Gray who lite us up the most.

Greg Lux 4 years, 7 months ago

Well its obvious AW III is not going to red shirt. Mason is not going to red shirt. That means we don't have any red shirts. That equals 13 players in rotation. In 10 years HCBS has never used more then 10. Mostly 8 or 9 is his most used number of players who get real time. We are going to be way over in rotation players. How HCBS is going to juggle this may be his most impressive coaching job. I can't complain seeing this many good players available but, I do worry about team chemistry with some players not getting the minutes they expect. I am sure HCBS has a plan.

Rock Chalk