Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Opurum released, McDougald added for practice squad

— The Kansas City Chiefs have released fullback Toben Opurum and signed safety Bradley McDougald to their practice squad in a swap of former Kansas University standouts.

Both players joined the Chiefs in May as rookie free agents.

McDougald was active for last Sunday’s win over Dallas but did not play. He was released from the active roster and brought back to the practice squad on Wednesday.

The Chiefs made room by releasing Opurum, who had spent the first two weeks of the regular season on the practice squad.

Comments

Andy Godwin 7 years, 1 month ago

The life of an undrafted NFL rookie. Hopefully Opurum will get another shot.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 1 month ago

Toben had had really good hands coming out of HS (check his video) hopefully he catches on somewhere.

Bryce Landon 7 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how much better Opurum's NFL stock would be had he been able to play for Mark Mangino instead of languishing under three coaches in four years.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 1 month ago

Not to harp on a point, but I always wished Toben stayed at RB. He was a stud, and could've been a mid round pick. I hope he gets a chance again. My Cowboys don't have a FB and hey Cleveland doesn't have any rb's lol.

KGphoto 7 years, 1 month ago

If the Chief’s TE’s can get healthy, and if he doesn’t get picked up off waivers, it’s likely he’ll go back to the practice squad and McDougald would get re-activated to the roster.

The only reason this shuffle happened was because Kelce and Fasano are battling injuries and the Chiefs signed another TE.

jhox 7 years, 1 month ago

Of the two former Jayhawks, I personally feel McDougald has the higher up side. I believe he has the chance to become a very good professional player, and I'd prefer to see him with the Chiefs than with one of their rivals. Feel bad for Tobin though.