Wednesday, September 18, 2013

KU football adds home-and-home series with Houston for 2019-20

The Kansas University football team will meet Houston for the first time since 2005 when the Jayhawks travel to Houston in 2019 as the first part of a home-and-home series, KU announced Wednesday afternoon.

"This is another great series for Kansas football," KU coach Charlie Weis said. "The state of Texas is an extremely important area for our program in terms of recruiting. In addition, we have a large alumni base in Houston area, so being able to play Houston is ideal for both the team and our fans."

The 2019 home game for the Cougars is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 14, at Houston Football Stadium, which is scheduled to open in 2014. KU will host UH for a return game at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 12, 2020.

KU leads the all-time series with Houston, 3-0. The Jayhawks last defeated the Cougars, 42-13, on Dec. 23, 2005 in the Fort Worth Bowl.

Comments

Robert Brock 6 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully not. KU only takes - other than Sims and Taliban - players not wanted by UT, A&M, OU, OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, major programs, etc. We end up taking Texas players away from Navy and Louisiana Tech.

David Leathers 6 years, 6 months ago

Those two teams you just mentioned were 8-5 and 9-3 last season. Can you try and elaborate on the point you're trying to make?

Saguaro_Jayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Seriously doubt Kansas is going after same recruits as Taliban Tech.

bad_dog 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't know about that, Saguaro. Have you seen Heeney's beard lately?

actorman 6 years, 6 months ago

You never know. They'd probably be quite good at throwing the bomb. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Boouk 6 years, 6 months ago

We have to start going 3-0 in the conference. The Big 12 is just too deep. Hopefully they change the scheduling format back to 4 non-con games soon.

Jim Jackson 6 years, 6 months ago

Taliban? What exactly are you inferring?

jgkojak 6 years, 6 months ago

Probably unnecessary as we'll be in Conf USA with them by then.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 6 months ago

2019? Hopefully Kansas makes it back to Houston for a bowl game between now and then...

Dirk Medema 6 years, 6 months ago

The new track opens in 2014. Word about the stadium changes should follow shortly. A few more W's drawing fans would help. Not a lot of reason to build more unless we're filling what we've got.

LJD230 6 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully there is a football team at Kansas for the 2019-20 season!!! Can Kansas win a game this season.

HighQ 6 years, 6 months ago

Losses to Rice U

Help recruiting, but by then

"Pile O'Crap" won't cut it.

Dan Cook 6 years, 6 months ago

Stay positive guys!

This is a great non-conference move for KU. I wish it would start next year. We have recruited a little in Houston the last few years, but we can do better. There are kids playing high school ball in Houston that end up going to Sam Houston St, Texas State, Tx Southern, North Texas, UTEP, UTSA, not to mention Rice and U of H, that can play for us and would love to play B12 ball. The depth of talent in Houston is massive and we need to get our share.

Speaking of which, I know John Reagan was a Mangino-staff guy, but he's doing a really nice job as OC at Rice. I hope we have him a list of guys that could come home some day, in some capacity.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

If KU recruited players that only have offers from Sam, Texas St., TSU, UNT, UTEP, or UTSA, KU would be even worse off than they are now. Sam and TSU are both FCS teams, Texas St. and UTSA just transitioned to FBS, and UNT and UTEP are bad programs.

Dan Cook 6 years, 6 months ago

I didn't say ONLY and if you don't think those teams have players that can play at KU, you're not paying attention. Deep talent pool means do your homework and find the gems. Like we did with Reesing and Talib, et al.

And you're taking shots at FCS schools? North Dakota State has beaten Sam Houston for the FCS title the last two years. I wouldn't want KU scheduling either one of those schools, would you?

Paul Rupp 6 years, 6 months ago

Good Lord, did this story only hit Jayhawker's that all had soured cabbage for dinner tonight?

I live in Houston--I'm (not yet, but aspirational) anyone that anyone should listen too, but Houston is currently one of the most prosperous cities in America right now. When I go to our watch parties, there's a good number of people older than my middle age, and a whole bunch of people that are younger I am that are mostly engineers. These Jayhawks will be very successful, I have no doubt. For that reason alone--the Jayhawks should find a way to get to HOU every chance they get.

I also disagree with the idea that there are not players who end up going to the minor Texas schools, wouldn't find success at KU. See Todd Reesling. There is a pretty good level of HS football being played here in HOU--and it is just getting better. Let's not be the last one to the party on this one.

Chris Gilbertson 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe Weis (if he's still here. Not being negative or saying he needs to get fired but 2019 is when the first game will be played so that is a long ways a way and a lot can happen) wants to toughen up the schedule to get them ready for conference games, and possibly something bigger like BCS bowls. Alabama does it last year they played Michigan their first game I think it was. Virginia Tech played Boise State one of their first games a few years ago. Clemson and Georgia this year. I think it's a good idea, it gets these guys ready for conference play and it sends a message that hey we were the laughing stock of college football but we're coming back hungrier than ever and we aren't afraid to play anyone.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Rutgers is not power and will be a mid pack to bottom feeder at best in the B1G and UH has never consistently been good so who knows where they'll be at in 6 years. These are games against teams in fertile recruiting areas and will get KU more exposure to these recruits and allow the recruits an extra chance to see KU without traveling a long distance. These are good teams to play for a program the caliber of KU. Not guaranteed wins by any stretch, but neither are they guaranteed losses which would do more harm than good to future recruiting.

Robert Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

I really would like to see us upgrade out non-conference schedule. Fortunately, I think the future media contract will end up dictating that. Houston is not a bad option, but the Cougars are hit and miss.

The Cougars recent history does show how important it is to hire a good coach. The jury is still out on the current coach, but the previous two hires were home runs- Kevin Sumlin, who was rumored to be a candidate for the KU job after Magino was fired, and before that Art Briles. Prior to that, UH had several mediocre coaches and did not perform very well.

For those not familiar, UH has a rich football history and were very competitive in the Southwest Conference.

Chris1955 6 years, 6 months ago

I saw a figure of 3500 KU alums in the Houston area. The same information showed 5500 KU alums in the Dallas area. Judging by the KU fans I saw at Rice stadium last week, I think we can count on great butts in the seat support. I'm guessing we had nearly as many fans as Rice did last week.

I welcome the KU/UH home and home series.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Attendance was about 22,000 and I would say it was probably about 15,000 Rice to 7,000 KU fans. Rice's band and student section took up about 1/3 of the visitors side so I would say it was close to a 2-1 which considering how bad KU's been recently is a pretty good turnout and higher than I expected.