Monday, September 16, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Texas football should turn to …

Two long weeks into Kansas University’s football season, the fan base understandably is frustrated. But it could be worse. You could be a supporter of the Texas Longhorns.

Texas brings heated benches on the road for games in “cold” climates. Even so, the players’ seats aren’t nearly as hot as the one upon which good guy Mack Brown sits.

The Longhorns (1-2) are coming off losses to Brigham Young by 19 points and Ole Miss by 21. Brown fired defensive coordinator Manny Diaz after the BYU debacle. Now the pencil points at Brown himself.

Assuming Brown and Texas negotiate a buyout at season’s end, one of the most desirable jobs in football will come open, and the speculation already has started as to what direction the Longhorns won’t head.

Baylor’s Art Briles, a former high school coach in Texas, would clean up in recruiting and field as exciting an offense as any in the country. But those familiar with the way orange bloods think insist Texas never would stoop to hire a coach from Baylor, particularly not one as country as Briles. Plus, Texas would run the risk of Briles deciding he likes where he is just fine and rejecting the offer.

There also is the school of thought that Texas wouldn’t hire an assistant coach who never has headed his own program and also wouldn’t touch any coaches from any other in-state rivalries, such as TCU.

Let’s assume all those limiting factors are true. Who, then, would you hire if you were Texas? The premium has to be on coaching ability since the brand sells itself well enough to ensure the next coach can choose from attractive options when doling out scholarships.

For me, only one name makes sense. He has won two national championships. He played for Tom Osborne at Nebraska and spent eight seasons as an assistant coach for Osborne and Frank Solich, including three years as defensive coordinator.

In recent seasons he has been the most successful college football coach in the nation not named Nick Saban. His name: Craig Bohl. His school: North Dakota State. His record since the start of the 2011 season: 30-2, two Football Championship Series national titles, a 4-0 mark, all on the road, against Football Bowl Subdivision Schools.

FCS schools are limited to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, but they can spread the money among 85 players. FBS schools are limited to 85 full rides and can’t spread them out.

To defeat consistently schools armed with that many more scholarships says a lot. It says Bohl is a terrific judge of talent, coaches up the talent and knows how to handle game days.

I can hear the chorus of naysayers: “Texas would never hire an FCS coach.”

If the Longhorns want to play for national championships they should. Name a better choice.

Comments

JHWKDW 7 months ago

God I love seeing Texass Longhorns struggling!

Hey Texas how about that top heavy SEC? Oops one of them non heavy teams Ole Miss slapped you around!Hell the Mormon boys slapped you around! The Big 12-2 gave you a home after you & SMU primarily destroyed the SWC!And what is our reward? You got 4 good schools to bolt.Not that I really Believed that FSU and Clemson would ever come here, but you were jerks and told them to get lsot what guests you are NOT! I hope every team in the SEC Hell Id hope Kentucky or even gulp Misery (Barf for me saying it) whoops your sorry fannies around.I hate you so much.

For all the Longhorns who helped destroyed this once mighty conference Karma is a bitch aint it?Now you are the team on the ropes.

I hate the Longhorns more the Misery or even KSU! I am tired of their arrogance and Monarchy rule in our conference.

Adam McEwen 7 months, 1 week ago

Bryan Harsin. Wish Charlie would hire him as an OC and give him free reign, The 2007 bowl game VS OU was brilliant. He's got UT ties and enough of a resume to land the job. Don't see Saban leaving Bama.

JakeBarnes 7 months, 1 week ago

The more I think about it the more certain I am that Keegan ought to be head coach at KU. Read yesterday's article about how KU needs a new offensive coordinator. Keegan becomes head coach and Weis stays as offensive coordinator. Some suggested Weis quit as head coach and stay as offensive coordinator. He was joking.

JHawk91 7 months, 1 week ago

Everyone is thinking too small. All my OU Sooner buddies have already heard this rumor and are furious about it. Texas AD, Deloss Dodds fires Mack Brown and then "retires." New Texas AD will be current Big 12 Commissioner (and former Stanford AD), Bob Bowlsby. Bowlsby then delivers current Stanford head coach, David Shaw.

Conference realignment and Big 12 dissolution comes back to the front page.

Steve Corder 7 months, 1 week ago

"But those familiar" Tom, I don't know who your sources are, but I have Baylor sources that are telling me that UT is indeed "after" Briles, big time (Brown is gone). Also, Summlin, at TxA&M is eyeing the USC job and is growing tired of the distractions...USC is the ultimate goal.

Question: Does Baylor have enough to keep Briles? Financially? No. Will Briles leave? Maybe. UT is the pinnacle of the college football world.

Question: If Bill Self left KU would KU go after a division II coach (or whatever North Dakota State is classified)?

The dominos will start falling in Texas.

kay_you 7 months, 1 week ago

I’m hoping Bohl replaces Pelini, thus keeping him out of Manhattan and possibly reopening the Peyton Newell sweepstakes.

Pileofcrap 7 months, 1 week ago

I heard Charlie Jr. Is a top candidate

HighQ 7 months, 1 week ago

Programs as cocky--As Texas deserve to hire--The likes of Lane Kiffin.

Janet Scott 7 months, 1 week ago

Santa Claus or Peter Pan. Maybe Dolly Parton.

dhinkansas 7 months, 1 week ago

Why all the hate for the article? KU lost to Rice, so it's not like KU football is that exciting to talk about this week. Texas is in the dumpster and it makes me laugh how the Huskers ran from the Big 12, scared to death of the monster that is Texas.

TexAzAg 7 months, 1 week ago

So much indifference/hate for a subject critical the the future of the B12-2-2+2=10? Change is impending at tu and this change is absolutely relevant to KU sports. Any other position confirms the reality of a Lawrence bubble.

Great article, Tom. Although I do not agree that Bohl will, or, should be the man, the discussion is interesting.

My thoughts, in order .........

1) James Franklin - Vanderbuilt 2) Charlie Straughn - Louisville 3) Will Muschamp - Florida 4) Kirby Smart - Bama (DC)

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 months, 1 week ago

How about the guy in Minnesota that seems to have a seizure every Saturday!

fabio 7 months, 1 week ago

The posters that don't like this article because Texas Football doesn't apply to the good people here, should consider getting off the farm sometime. I know you think places like Austin, Texas are "too far from here to ever amount to anything", and that Austin is a far away planet, but it's actually quite cool.

Kyle Sybesma 7 months, 1 week ago

I'd go after Mark Richt at Georgia. He's not appreciated there. He's always on the hot seat. Maybe he's looking for a change of scenery and what better place to go than to a hot bed of recruiting talent.

Randy Bombardier 7 months, 1 week ago

All you critics don't get the connection apparently. There are some K-State websites where Bohl is the guy to get when Snyder retires. I imagine there are links to this story on a number or boards. Maybe Keegan did KU a good turn...or maybe he is floating a name in case Weis never gets us out of the cellar. I doubt that but maybe it is a Freudian slip. Coveting and eyeing other coaches instead of our own while not yet stating this relationship is not going to last. "I was just looking, Dear."

Lefty54 7 months, 1 week ago

The next coach at Nebraska will be Scott Frost. Let the Huskers to a national championship, offensive coordinator at Oregon. Would bring exciting football back to Lincoln.

AzHawk97 7 months, 1 week ago

Well, since we are surprised by this article, I am going to take the early line (2 1/2 weeks early) that there will be an article that starts about Texas Tech quarterback Baker Mayfield, and Keegs will highlight the fact he is from Lake Travis. This will all happen in the first paragraph, and that will be the jumping off point for a reminiscing article about Todd Reesing. He may throw in a comparison or two to KU's current QB woes just to make things a bit more contemporary. Any takers on this bet?

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 1 week ago

Mark Mangino lol. The fact we are focusing on another schools hiring situation is an example of Keegs being a skillful, thoughtful and most of all irritating writer.

jaymar74 7 months, 1 week ago

I do not care who Texas fires or hires. Rock Chalk.

astrofunk 7 months, 1 week ago

It's a hot topic, and relevant. My best guess is Vandy's James Franklin.

Joe Joseph 7 months, 1 week ago

Lane Kiffin.

lol, just kidding.

prairie_rattler 7 months, 1 week ago

A no-brainer... Mike Leach would dominate at UT.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 months, 1 week ago

A UT football article?!?! It's finally happened, Texas now (also) controls the LJW!!!!

codyinman 7 months, 1 week ago

It makes sense to discuss events within our conference, the Big 12. Why would they only report on KU? The amount of fair-weather fans and negative nancies on this site is astounding. Why don't you guys just worry about basketball season and let the real football fans enjoy these articles.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 1 week ago

I agree with many of the posters here: the head coaching position of the number one sport in the country at the "lead dog" institution in our conference has absolutely has no relevance or interest to KU fans. Except that it does.

I wonder if Texas would have the guts to make this hire? As one poster pointed out above, I wonder if Bohl would take it or if he is just waiting for Bo's head to explode so that Bohl can go back to Husker Doo?

Bottom line, Bohl will get offers this year. Would USC go for it? I think that Pat Haden definitely has the courage to make that call.

BayPark 7 months, 1 week ago

I wonder if there is an article about KU at Orangebloods.

Robert Brock 7 months, 1 week ago

If the UT athletics director hired an FCS coach, he would be tarred and feathered in Austin.

lama 7 months, 1 week ago

Tomorrow's column will be who replaces Rick Barnes. Nice going, Keegan.

Lance Cheney 7 months, 1 week ago

"For me, only one name makes sense. He has won two national championships. He played for Tom Osborne at Nebraska..."

When I first read this, I seriously thought you were going to say Turner Gill. THAT would've been quite the literary turn... But honestly, I was wondering how long it would be before some FCS school went after Craig Bohl.

clevelandjayhawker 7 months, 1 week ago

When KU wins a conference game, that coach gets fired. Just the last time it happen was colorado.

JayhawkLaw12 7 months, 1 week ago

Opinion: LJW should turn to... unknown J-school senior to fill Keegan's position at the paper.

jayhawkinATL 7 months, 1 week ago

Muschamp. The former "head coach-in-waiting" at Texas leaves the Gators for the king's ransom that Texas will pay.

jhox 7 months, 1 week ago

Jim Mora, Jr. would top my wish list if I were a Texas fan.

Chris1955 7 months, 1 week ago

Major Applewhite will be the next Head Coach at UT. He's going to end up getting the job two years earlier than anticipated. This has been in the cards for years, largely due to Mack Brown screwing him over during his senior year for the under achieving Chris Sims. Mack cost himself and UT a national championship over that decision.

The "Alumni" will demand this course of action. Besides, I dont think Nick Saban would be well received in Austin.

David A. Smith 7 months, 1 week ago

Good points. Tom. I'm just wondering how he survived this long.

texashawk10 7 months, 1 week ago

If Mack Brown gets fired after this season, the Longhorns will make a run at Nick Saban. They are one of two schools that can actually outbid Alabama and Saban has a track record of going to the highest bidder. At 62 now though, Saban leaving Alabama is far from a certainty and UT will probably end up elsewhere. I know Keegan said a first time head coach isn't an option there, but Major Applewhite will be a serious candidate if Saban says no.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 months, 1 week ago

Wow. That's about the only response I can muster towards this piece.

doolindalton 7 months, 1 week ago

No.No No. Are you crazy. KU is a one game winner again this season. Bohl is next coach at KU.

Jason Keller 7 months, 1 week ago

Best part of this story is we all know that Keegan actually believes that the University of Texas would hire an FCS coach...

Hey Keegan, know who they should hire? Will Muschamp. Dumbest thing UT ever did was let him get away.

Janet Scott 7 months, 1 week ago

Utter non-sense, Tom. But, why not Craig Bohl (any relation to Al?) at KU, after Weis departs soon?

Jack Jones 7 months, 1 week ago

What a strange, strange, weird story. I thought this site had been hacked by the Austin Daily Planet. Tom, get it together ~ who, other than a Texas alum living in the LJW viewing world, gives a crap about Mack Brown's deal at Texas? Please, no more of these out-of-body nothings.

bluefirebird 7 months, 1 week ago

How about Dabo Swinney? Beside having an awesome name he is 42-21 at Clemson, he's 43 years old, and he has beaten top-10 ranked SEC teams the last two years (#8 LSU in 2012 and #5 Georgia this season). And QB Tajh Boyd is a senior, so he might be ready to make a move after this season.

machinegun 7 months, 1 week ago

Mack Brown on the hot seat is a strange choice of subject...Texas is the one team we have not beaten during the Big 12 era. K-State has beaten them 5 times in a row going into Saturday's game. A more appropriate topic would be the replacement of Charlie Weis after he runs home to South Bend or gets fired at the end of the season.

Sae Thirtysix 7 months, 1 week ago

TKeegan play a little golf yesterday? No time to write a real story?

Briles? Nope.

Why not Chip Kelly, when he fails as a 1st year coach of the DirtyBirds?