Monday, September 16, 2013

No problem: Weis not worried about QB play

Kansas quarterback Jake Heaps throws to the sideline against Rice late in the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013 at Rice Stadium in Houston, Texas.

photo

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis has more than a few things occupying his mind as he tries to get his offense going and his team to bounce back from a tough loss at Rice.

But quarterback play is not one of them.

“There’s no problem with Jake,” said Weis of KU junior Jake Heaps on the Big 12 coaches teleconference Monday morning. “Jake knows that’s part of the deal. All his frustration is he’s trying to be error-free himself.”

Through two games, Heaps ranks 123rd in the country in passing and has yet to throw for more than 157 yards in a game. He has completed 23 passes in 48 attempts and thrown for 267 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions while being sacked five times.

While those statistics — everyone in the KU locker room expected they would be significantly better — paint an average picture, Weis believes Heaps has been better than the numbers indicate, particularly during last weekend’s 23-14 loss at Rice.

“When (your receivers) drop five conversions on third down in plus territory, and one of ’em’s a walk-in touchdown, that’s significant,” he said. “Throw those on the completion category and tally them up and look at the percentage and yardage there, and all of a sudden you’re saying, ‘He played a heck of a game.’”

Don’t confuse Weis’ if/then statements for unqualified praise. Heaps has not been as sharp as either coach or player would have liked.

“It isn’t like he didn’t make any mistakes in the game,” Weis said of Heaps.

The confusing part for both of them is why things have not looked on Saturdays the way they have in practice and throughout fall camp. To back that up, Weis pointed to Wednesday’s practice, when Heaps completed 29 of 31 passes with no drops.

“It’s not consistent with what’s happening in practice,” Weis said. “... But I’m not worried about Jake. That’s the one person I know that I can count on (who) will handle things the right way.”

Coleman’s up

Weis has talked a lot about working wide receiver Rodriguez Coleman into the lineup more, and it sounds like the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Garden City Community College transfer will get a major increase in snaps Saturday during KU’s 11 a.m. match-up with Louisiana Tech.

“You won’t see Coleman a little this week,” Weis said Monday night on his weekly radio show. “You’ll see him a lot. That’s one of the things we’re talking about. Let’s see what he can do.”

La. Tech bracing for man-to-man

During Thursday’s 24-15 loss to Tulane, Louisiana Tech’s offense faced a lot of man-to-man defense and struggled against it. Bulldogs’ quarterbacks Scotty Young and Ryan Higgins combined to go 16-of-44 through the air for 165 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Louisiana Tech coach Skip Holtz said Monday that his offense’s issues against Tulane were not strictly on the players, and he expects them to be better against KU’s man coverage this Saturday.

Take the day off

One area Holtz does not figure to spend much time working on this week is kickoff return. The first-year La. Tech coach sounded awfully impressed by the performance of KU kickoff specialist Trevor Pardula, who has recorded six touchbacks in nine kickoffs during KU’s first two games.

“I cannot image our kickoff return will get an opportunity,” Holtz said. “They kick pretty much everything out of the back of the end zone.”

During last week’s loss at Rice, all nine kickoffs — three by Pardula and six by Rice weapon Chris Boswell — resulted in touchbacks, which also impressed Weis.

“Our kicker continues to be exactly what we brought him in here for,” Weis said of Pardula. “I’ve never seen a game where every kickoff was a touchback.”

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Im not worried about already-proven Jake Heaps-->Just hasnt been proven here yet, so will wait patiently to see Heaps' supporting cast (O-line, WRs, TEs) become reliable and productive. This year's team is about 90% different from last year's team, so we are seeing pieces not-on-the-same-page yet. Gamefilm does not lie. We have a coaching staff--> watch nonproductive players correct their issues, or see some youngster on the 2deep get his chance. New learning curve for all players. Even Heeney & Sims have new guys right next to or in front of them...and those newbies are in very key positions. But ya know, as a fan I've got nothing but time, as I see the building blocks...couldnt say that about Gill's tenure. This is not a well-oiled machine yet...but keep working on it, guys! I cant wait til Saturday's game (will be there on the 50yd line). RCJakeHeaps!

qringer 1 year, 2 months ago

Right on the money. Give it a little time and this team could be good. Much more talent on the field this year.

hawk316 1 year, 2 months ago

ralster, I like your positive, hopeful analysis! And I don't think this is a "pie-in-the-sky" perspective. With a good coaching staff (which we have) and improving talent on the field (which we have), we're moving in the right direction. Given these, patience is a reasonable posture.

gorilla10 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes!!!!! Glad someone who knows what they're talking about has the first comment on here...

John Myers 1 year, 2 months ago

I love it too! The only thing I don't like, is he also then holds his hand up in a formation that comes way too close to looking like the UT horns. Living in Austin, I see that way too much anyways. I haven't been able to see it really clearly - I think he keeps his thumb out, so it's not exactly the same at least.

RCJay 1 year, 2 months ago

Good question. He seemed to make the big catches last year.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

He did a good job of getting open last year, but he had big time "drop-itis" as well.

Maybe we can locate Kerry Meier, die his hair, grow him a beard and change his identity? I miss the days of having a possession receiver like that.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 2 months ago

And Meier never wore gloves, just bare hands all the time. Vintage.

Brad Farha 1 year, 2 months ago

Totally not knocking you here, but it bums me out that the success of the teams with Meier seems so long ago now..........that it's appropriate to call his style of play vintage. :) That said, I still think that we will need more time for HC Weis to make progress with all the changes he's made. Hate to lose a winabbe game, but we've got a lot of season left.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

It helped a lot that he had been a QB, so he knew what the QB was looking for and he was always in the right place at the right time.

Maybe WRs should take turns in practice playing QB so they get a better understanding of what is expected of them and how to properly run their routes.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 2 months ago

I think we do have a possession reciever. I haven't seen him drop any pass thrown to him either. He is Brandon Bourbon. I wish we had him in the slot position over Pierson. Pierson works better out of the backfield than lined up outside anyway. Another thing I like about putting Bourbon in the slot is that he can go in motion and block. These the best blocking back we have too. And we can hand him the ball too. He's proofed that he can run with it. This also help keeping Pierson's leg fresh. He looked worn in the 4th last week.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Although some of the major ingredients for success haven't existed yet, some of the complaints from last year have been satisfied. Pardula is a very impressive kicker and punter. Heaps -- regardless of what some you think -- isn't the problem. Cohesiveness is the biggest issue with our team right now. That, and "Stone Hands" Mundine. I know Jimmay can catch a pass in practice, but if he can't show the same ability vs LA Tech this week, it's time to see what the backups can do. I would love to see me some Charles Brooks or Ben Johnson. Not to mention, Josh Ford's drops last week weren't expected considering the great grab and run vs SDSU the week before.

I'm with ralster in thinking that KU has yet to show it's true colors. I'll stick by this team's side til the end. Rock Chalk #KUFBall

Rivethead 1 year, 2 months ago

Define "the end" please.

Because after Turder and now this....we gotta be pretty darn close I would think.

Raymond Wright 1 year, 2 months ago

You can always pick out the ones that didn't watch KU Football in the 80's. Jeesh I'm feeling old.

Brad Farha 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm looking for progress, and while it's not as fast as I would prefer, I am seeing it. It's amazing to consider the damage that Lew & Turner did to this program.

We were headed the right direction, and then Lew chases off the best coach we've had since Mason.

Then he brings in Gill-T, who did 4-5 years worth of damage in his 2 years here. I will never forgive either of them for coughing up the Border War football head to head series.

mahkmood 1 year, 2 months ago

Every time KU hires a coach that doesn't produce noticeable improvement there is a segment of fans that want to pass blame on the prior coach. You know the quotes, "This is a TOTAL rebuilding job", "This coach had NOTHING to work with when he arrived", etc. I've heard this over and over throughout the years: Terry Allen failed because of what Glen Mason left him; Turner Gill failed because of what Mangino left him; Weis is now failing because of what Turner Gill left him.

The flaw in this scapegoating method is apparent when a guy like Synder or Mangino gets hired and the team gets noticeably better immediately ("noticeably better" doesn't necessarily equate to W's right away). I think Weis is doing a better job than Gill, but I don't see the noticeable improvements that Mangino brought. Unfortunately, Mangino wasn't an excellent recruiter, so I think Weis has more potential. But the same argument was made against Snyder, and Ron Prince was supposed to pull a bunch of great recruits and take KSU to the next level. Didn't happen. Problem is... great coaching can trump raw talent at the college level. Weis is probably better suited for the NFL, but let's see what he can do for 3 seasons before giving up on him (if the only W this year is South Dakota, then I would say Zenger needs to fire him at the end of this year).

Blake Lehning 1 year, 2 months ago

Terry Allen failed because he was a crappy coach.

namohcan_99 1 year, 2 months ago

And Turner Gill failed because he was an even crappier coach than Terry Allen.

mahkmood 1 year, 2 months ago

That's exactly the point I'm making. Terry Allen and Turner Gill failed because they were not great coaches, and for no other reason. But when they WERE the coach, there were all of these fans saying, "Allen needs more time. Gill needs more time. They need more time to recruit. You're not a true fan if you express discontentment with the coach." Is Weis failing because he is a crappy college coach or because he was left with a roster depleted of talent? Time will tell, but how much time does it take to know the answer? Some fans say we've already seen enough to know the answer. Maybe, maybe not.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Weis is 1-1 this year with an away game loss at a bowl team returning 18 starters. I'm not sure that I can describe that as failing.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not placing any blame on Gill. We are improving in areas. We need to take another step in the improvement process. If you only want to focus on the past then you can't live for the future.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

mahkmood. You cannot even begin to compare what Weis inherited from Gill with what Gill inherited from Mangino.

I personally saw a lot of progress in HC Weis first year. KU went from being team that took a beating every week to a team that. although did not win games, stayed in the game and was competitive in most every game it played. With a little more depth, I can see it could have won more than one game.

Again, as I see it, this team is an improved version of last year's team, particular on the defense side. The offense is still a work in progress but I can see that with a few improvements (make that WRs) it can get a lot better and win a few games.

Anyone that thought it would take two year to rebuild this team is a dreamer. HC Weis has had one full season to recruit and he did what all rebuilding programs normally do, go JUCO to get immediate help (ask Snyder how it worked out for KSU). In years 3-5 we are going to see the recruits that will help the long term outlook.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

danno, Do you honestly believe that the 2011 team was better than last year's team?

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

There's a pretty simple explanation for what happened against ISU and WVU. KU had no depth and fatigue and exhaustion caught up with the team at the end of the season. KU didn't quit at the end of last year, they just ran out of gas because defensive players can't play 60+ plays a game every game and hold throughout the course of a season.

Jack Jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Absolutely ~ While we all ~ Jayhawk fans, players and coaches would have loved to have seen 'better' performances, including a win this past Saturday ~ two games in ~ the reality is that the description "a work in progress" is spot on. And, progress is being made, just as we watched progress being made throughout last season ~ a season with few new players, a new coaching staff, with a new 'system'. Keep the faith ~ my money is on 'better' days ahead.

trajanj 1 year, 2 months ago

There was some progress made midseason but the last two games of the year looked very similar to some of Allen's and Gill's worst teams. We got blown out by both ISU and WV and those teams were not good. ISU went on and lost to WV and then got beat by 20 to Tulsa in their bowl game. WV got hammered in their bowl game by an average at best Syracuse team.

In Mangino's 2nd year we went to a bowl. Mason won 4 games including 2 conference games. We need to at least match what Mason did to really say we've seen progress. I think we can do that but if we can't win 2 games in this very weak conference then we've kind of run out of excuses.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

I hate to disagree with CW, but Heaps is playing the easiest teams he will all year and is not exactly dominating. Sure he will improve and things may fall into place a bit, but lets be honest and remind ourselves that South Dakota, Rice and La Tech are not exactly big time defenses.

I'm not in a panic, but objectively I can't agree with any assessment of this team that is even remotely positive at this point. For reference, it will take a remarkable effort the rest of the season to top Turner Gill's 2 season win total... A total that got him run out of town.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 2 months ago

Wondering how would a QB dominate when 1) he has little coverage (i.e. time), 2) receivers don't get open when expected, and 3) receivers drop the ball when they do get open and get it thrown to them. Kinda hard to dominate in that situation, don't ya think?

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree except there were plenty of pass plays where Heaps had a lot of time this past weekend.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

...but there were no open eligible receivers, right?

Having all the time in the world will not help if you don't have open receivers.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

Joey Meyer 1 year, 2 months ago

I can certainly sympathize with the frustration of the fan base. I mean we've lost an incredible amount of games or a bcs program ever since week six of Manginos last year... but where is all of this pent up pessimism coming?

Tuner Gill was getting not just beaten but destroyed to the point that we weren't even remotely close to our peers. Are some of these angry fans still watching those games? We are raw and very rough in certain areas, but this team is already a dramatic improvement over the Gill era and in many ways over last years team.

We lost six games last year by less than two touchdowns... How would we not win at least three games this year with La Tech and a down Big 12? I'd be happy to take that bet. Iowa State, Texas anyone? We've got games that we can win and we've got a team that is starting to come together aside from being hungry enough to do it.

The Rice loss sucked but that was not our last chance for a win on the year... I just don't get the extreme negativity and fire Weis mentality.

tophawk87 1 year, 2 months ago

Talk to us after the season.... Weis needs to win 4 games this year or we went backwards this season.

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Then we re going backwards. It will take A LOT of good breaks/luck to win four. I m concerned about winning two at this point.

Mick Allen 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't agree with the fire Weis mentality either. However with regard to the fact that we lost 6 games by less than 2 touchdowns last year, I too would look at this as progress, but for the fact that we got our butts kicked big time in the last 2 games, Iowa State and WVU. I remember thinking before the ISU game, myself and others, that we had a shot to beat ISU at home and they destroyed us. It would be easier for me to see improvement over the Gill regime, had we not played our 2 worst games at the end of the year.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

The last two games were the result of lack of depth and talent. The starters played way too much during the season and were physically spent by the end of the season. Also, our defensive back did not have the speed to keep up with the opposing wide receivers and had to give up 10-15 yards to start the play; not too difficult to gain lots of yard when the defense is potting you that much space.

actorman 1 year, 2 months ago

"... but where is all of this pent up pessimism coming?"

I can't speak for everyone, but as a KU football fan for over 35 years, my pessimism is coming from having seen this type of scenario time and time (and time) again. I'd love to believe that things are truly getting much better, and I've seen a few positive signs, but I've also gotten my hopes up way too many times to really believe that CW is going to be able to make a huge difference.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, there is a HUGE improvement between the Gill years and now. There is also a big improvement from Mangino's last year and now. There is absolutely no doubt about it!

But so far, there "seems to be little to no" improvement between last year and this year. OK, I agree that the Qtr Back position seems to be an upgrade, and so is the secondary. But one of the big issues last year was in the receiving corps... They went an entire year without a TD (still can't believe that a D1 school can do that!). This year they have reached the end-zone, but the # of drops remains to be a problem, and until we fix that, we will be as bad as last year.

mahkmood 1 year, 2 months ago

Big improvement from Mangino's last year and now? I disagree, but this season isn't over yet. I hope you're right. N. Colorado W 49-3 @ UTEP W 34-7 Duke W 44-16 Southern Miss W 35-28 Iowa State W 41-36 @ CU L 30-34 OU L 13-35 @ TT L 21-42 @ KSU L 10-17 Nebraska L 17-31 @ Texas L 20-51 Mizzery L 39-41

Chris1955 1 year, 2 months ago

I was at the game Saturday and saw it live. The defense and the kicking game is showing significant signs of improvement over last year. The offense is still a disaster.

Our receivers cannot catch, cannot run routes well, and cannot improvise on a broken play. I saw Heaps have arm motion for Colemen to continue downfield on a broken play. Coleman actually stood there watching Heaps being chased. The offensive line doesn't seem to be able to move people out of their initial position in the blocking scheme. Heaps is s-l-o-w, and can't really put good moves on an oncoming pass rusheres.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

It is not only the drops by receivers but the cover sacks of Heaps that are worrisome. The receivers are just not getting enough separation to provide good passing angles for Heaps. Heaps is clearly an upgrade as compared to last year due to his accuracy (granted it was a bit offer on Saturday), but the receivers need to improve not only catching passes but running better routes.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

Heaps does need to improve on not standing around too long with the ball and throwing it away when he can't escape the defense. And the receivers need to work on catching the damn ball when it comes their way.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's think about about this for minute. Your complaining about Jake Heaps holding onto the ball for too long and you're not the only one who's said this. There's another camp of people that have noticed that the WR's run bad routes and can't get open. Do you think there might be some sort of connection between Jake Heaps holding onto the ball and the WR's not being able to get open? The QB position this season is contributing very little to the issues with the passing game this season. Yes he's made a few bad decisions, what college QB hasn't, he's not responsible for KU's passing issues. I would go 80-15-5 between the WR's, OLine, and QB in regards to responsibility on the field for the passing game woes. Weis and Ianello deserve their share as well for the receivers not knowing how to run a route since this is largely the same group as last year and there is minimal improvement in that department.

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Not absurd, just a fact. Reesing kept plays alive by scrambling, running. Heaps is for the most part stationary. After the first few progressions he has to unload the ball. Having said that, it would be nice if the 6'5" 300 lbs lineman could manage to get in the defenses' way occasionally. (or the receivers could catch a few)

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

Jesus dude.. what he is saying is that if what you say is true and the receivers are at fault and can't get open, you throw the ball away and don't take a 15 yard sack. He's not saying that Heaps is just standing there like a dummy holding the football when there are places he can actually go with it. It's 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. UNLOAD. Either at someone's numbers, near the feet of a covered receiver or out of bounds. You don't stand there and wait for someone to come open. Get it?

I don't think Heaps has played that bad but do you know what kills drives more efficiently than dropped passes? Sacks for 10+ yards.

I don't care if it's 3rd down, you throw it away and save field position. Especially with a defense that has been playing well.

Rivethead 1 year, 2 months ago

I disagree that we couldn't run the ball. We simply didn't try to run the ball. I guarantee you if we would have played smashmouth football from the start of the game (two TE sets, use a fullback, two RBs, stuff like that), by the fourth quarter Rice wouldn't have been able to lift their arms to tack Miller and Pierson (use Sims, Cox, and Bourbon to batter them early).

But instead Charlie was too cute and tried to be "balanced" and make his boy Heaps look good. It failed.

Rice runs a 4-2-5 and has the best CB in the CUSA....so instead of playing to our strength (running) and their weakness (run stopping), we played to our weakness (passing) and their strength (pass coverage).

Make sense to me......

Al Martin 1 year, 2 months ago

Atl, you're right on point. The bigger worry for me is that the OL looked to be physically outclassed. I understand that new guys will likely have communication issues and missed assignments against a veteran defense, but it looked worse than that from the stands. It looked like our guys were too weak to generate any push.

You can fix missed assignments, but strength can't be fixed in season, and our opponents aren't going to be weaker as the season progresses. This also makes me worry that the Holsopple worship we've had for the last year and a half may be misplaced. I don't have a professionally trained eye, so here's hoping I'm wrong.

Al Martin 1 year, 2 months ago

Yikes. That verifies my worries. I don't have access to Hawk Talk, so this is news to me. That's a very telling comment indeed.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago

10 years ago Mangina brought in the same amount of JUCOs in his second season following a 2-10 season and we finished 6-6 in regular season before being smoked by Philip Rivers and NC St in the Tangerine bowl.

I'm expecting 6 wins this year and losing to Rice obviously does not help our cause. Playcalling was horrific and so were the receivers(would like to see more Charles Brooks and maybe pull Mark Thomas' redshirt??) and O line.

On th other hand, Defense was terrific; great job by Dave Campo coaching these guys and grreat job by Ben Heeney, dude is an animal.

Rock Chalk let's go bowling this year!

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

6? I d take six for this year and next at this point. Two may be tough this year.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

One win was against a Div. 2 team and doesn't count. Mangino also had the split divisions, which made for an easier schedule. I'll give him credit for winning 5 in his second season, just as Snyder did with a Big 8 schedule, but the schedule is tougher now.

3 wins would be disappointing, 4 is significant improvement and 5 wins is a better performance than either Mangino or Snyder pulled off. Keep in mind, Mangino dropped back to 4 wins the next season.

Brak 1 year, 2 months ago

Well first of all South Dakota is a Div 1-FCS school not Div 2, and at least we didn't pull a Kstate and lost to a Div 1-FCS school, but I'm sure you also think that loss didn't count either.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

There's a HUGE difference between KU's 2003 and 2013 schedules that make reaching a bowl game in 2013 much more difficult. In 2003, KU played 4 non-conference games compared to just 3 in 2013. The 2003 Big 12 also had divisions and KU that season had OSU (3rd in the south), Texas A&M (5th in the south), and Baylor (6th in the south) and did not include Texas or Oklahoma.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

I still, for some reason, have faith that Weis can do it.

But lose on Saturday....at home to Louisiana Tech....and this baby is over.

The biggest disappoint in the game Saturday wasn't the passing game (which was clinically depressing), but rather the running game; or lack thereof.

Our offense was less stagnant last year....and that's a truly crazy thing to say.

namohcan_99 1 year, 2 months ago

Last Saturday's loss was like telling Kansas fans this team has a terminal illness. If we lose this weekend, it'll be as if the patient has passed on. We shouldn't lose this weekend. At this point we are just playing for some respectability. Post season, unfortunately, is a long ways away for this team as they showed us these last two games.

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

This is true. Lose Saturday and the wheels come off.

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

I think that Heaps is plenty capable of being a good quarterback. The BIG problem is his receivers and TEs. They rarely get open, and when they do, Heaps puts the ball in their hands of granite and they drop the thang! I cringe when it is Third And Six - you know that a case of the dropsies is coming.

Doug Fogleman 1 year, 2 months ago

Where is Marquel Combs? I have not noticed him playing. So many articles was done on him, but I have not heard anything since the seasons begun.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 2 months ago

Given all the developments, I'm thinking red-shirt.

leonard 1 year, 2 months ago

The LJW staff does a pretty darn good job of analyzing the games and keeping the fans informed...but...

It's time that someone on the staff peels back the onion skin and lets us know what is going on with Combs. Maybe Charlie has spoken off the record to them about Combs and asked that they keep quiet...that sort of media relationship happens all the time.

Yet, Combs...the No.1 juco recruit in the country...arrived with trumpet blasts and drum rolls. He was expected to have a huge and immediate impact.

If it's Charlie who has put the kibosh on Combs status...he needs to man up and let the fan base know what's going on.

If it's not Charlie...the LJW staff needs to man up and pin Charlie down with some hard questions about the status of Combs.

This is too big of an issue to just keep ho-humming along like nothing is amiss!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

I would love to have Combs...but the defense was not the problem on Saturday.

I would rather have Harwell eligible than Combs right now.

We need a receiver who...ya know...can catch a freakin' football.

leonard 1 year, 2 months ago

-- Louisiana Tech coach Skip Holtz said Monday that his offense’s issues against Tulane were not strictly on the players...“We’ve got to have a plan for what we saw Thursday night,” Holtz said. “I don’t think we did a good enough job with it Thursday night, giving our players something they could execute more. We’ve gotta help ’em out.” --

Are you paying attention, Charlie?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Whenever a coach says he's not worried about something - he's worried about it.

I'm not worried about the rest of the football season.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

Kinda like when an AD says his coach's job is not in danger, it actually is.

jaymar74 1 year, 2 months ago

Most are concentrating on the offense while the first key to turning around a program is the defense. We held Rice to 16 offensive points. A big step forward.

tophawk87 1 year, 2 months ago

For those of you predicting 6 wins this season, can you kindly point out where we get FIVE more wins out of this upcoming schedule please? Thanks....

Sat, Sept. 21 La. Tech at Kansas Sat, Oct. 5 TxTech at Kansas Sat, Oct. 12 Kansas at TCU
Sat, Oct. 19 Oklahoma at Kansas Sat, Oct. 26 Baylor at Kansas Sat, Nov. 2 Kansas at Texas
Sat, Nov. 9 Kansas at Okla. St.
Sat, Nov. 16 West Virginia at Kansas
Sat, Nov. 23 Kansas at Iowa State
Sat, Nov. 30 Kansas State at Kansas

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

We're better than 2 teams on that list. Obviously we have to win those. I think we'll have at least one good upset this year. 6 is definitely stretching it... not impossible though. Just give these boys another chance, man, let's see what we got this Saturday and go from there.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 2 months ago

That's easy: La. Tech makes number 2. IF TTU & TCU play us like they did each other, that's #3 and #4. Besides Pachel is out and his backup is the equivilent to Cummings. KU beats TX for #5 the day before Mack Brown gets fired. WVU is in a down year playing poorly, so #6.

Brennan Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

I am predicting 4 wins for KU football this year. We have one already against South Dakota (obviously), we will beat La-tech this weekend, we will knock off Iowa State at Ames to end the road losing drought, and we will defeat West Virginia or Texas at home.

West Virginia and Texas have terrible rush defense**

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Texas' third and fourth players are better than many KU starters. Just saying.

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

And yet they trailed for all but 12 seconds of the game last year.

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

True. "All but." There is no column for that is there?

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

I wouldn't be worried about quarterback, "PLAY" either if KU had any. It s amazing that only at KU can FIVE star recruits play like they've never played football before. Amazing.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago

Would also like to know the status of Marquel; I don't think he would redshirt as he only has 2 years to play 2.

Brandon Mahon 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder how TJ Millweard looks in practice. Coming from UCLA transfers to KU will have 4 years left after this season red-shirting. Heaps will only be around for one year so really 3 years left for him

Micky Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

There were a lot of people with the same negative attitude after Kansas men's basketball lost to Oklahoma State, TCU, etc. I think Kansas fans are like a typical progressive, utopia, and bitter when it never happens.

In fact, people were writing off KU after the TCU loss, thinking the streak of conference championships was going to end.

Time for some Jayhawk fans to mature a little. I wouldn't be so hateful if you're not the players on the field. They are the ones with the most invested in it in terms of sweat and blood.

Robert Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

People are entitled to their opinions and some are fed up. There is nothing wrong with fans venting. What some fans think has no effect on the performance of the football team. I seriously doubt that Charlie Weis or any of the players read these post. If they are, there is a much bigger problem.

I do not like it when some fans criticize the players. These are college kids trying their best. To me, the coaches are fair game and there is nothing CW has done in the past the gives me any confidence that he is the man who will turn this program around.

Marvin Blackburn 1 year, 2 months ago

If the first word in the title of the article was A instead of No, I would agree with it.

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

We all knew heading into this season that this team would have very little margin. It was going to take more things going right than going wrong to turn the corner in the win-loss column. There's a lot of new players at new positions; some upgrades (DB's, DL, kicking game) and some not (OL & WR.) And still very little depth. We needed some things to fall our way with the new guys...

Well guess what. Pretty much ALL those personnel situations have gone against us:

• Chris Martin = not-so-smooth criminal

• Nick Harwell = Miami of OH screwjob

• Pearce Slater = "Family Emergency" / "what have I done leaving CA for KS"

• Marcus Jenkins-Moore = season-ending injury

• Marquel Combs = ????????

• Kevin Short = NCAA screwjob

Did I forget anybody? Sure, we all understand the risk of JUCO's and transfers. But who would have guessed that ALL of these guys would not be playing. These are all guys who would have been/should be starting. These 6 players represent over a quarter of a starting football team.

We were never going to be world-beaters this year. But these pre-season hits appear to be more than enough to help sink us and say "next year." The big question for me: with so few underclassmen recruits for development, will we be doing this all over again next year?

Side note: The biggest loss of all looks like Nick Harwell. He is just what Heaps and our stagnant offense needs.

Chayse Patrick 1 year, 2 months ago

If CW is not worried about his QB he should be. All I've heard all summer and fall is the highly powered offense with a 5 star QB, all the terrific receivers and tight ends plus all the talent KU is sposed to have in the backfield?????? Heaps is so slow he can't get out of his own way, our receivers have hands of stone and the OC calls plays that never gives our RB's a chance. Pathetic, it's my own damn fault though, every year I make the mistake of setting the team's goals way too high. BUT, I ask YOU ALL---how many more years can we keep saying we are rebuilding??? Weis, the offensive coaches and the defensive coaches are one BIG joke. If that gray-haired ole boy in Manhattan had this team it'd be a totally different team and we'd all be cheering and not crying!!!

danno1313 1 year, 2 months ago

Amen. IF Bill Snyder could get Alabama, Notre dame, LSU, USC etc talent, he would have 15 of those fancy crystal balls in his trophy case.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Aren't you a day or two late? All the Monday morning and arm chair QBs had a field day the last couple of days.

As far as rebuilding, Gill did not rebuild, he ran the program into the ground. This is the second of a 5 year rebuild job. Anyone that thought it would take less than that was delusional. BTW, if the "gray-haired old boy" would have been here, he would have been run out of town after a couple of years.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Here is an idea. Get Kerry Meir, currently not playing in the NFL, to coach wide receivers. He was the best at running routes and getting open and had one great pair of hands. Having played QB, he knew what the QB expected of the WRs/TEs and was always on the money. there is no question KU receiving corps can use all the help it can get, who could be better than one of the best WRs ever to play at KU.

shelleysue 1 year, 2 months ago

The defensive coaches are doing just fine. Rice averaged 30 points a game and our defense allowed them 13. The other 10 points were on the offense. Our defense is clearly headed in the right direction and I think that's the last thing we should complain about. Our kicking games is fine and not just compared to last year. The kicking game is fine. Period. As for Heaps, he hasn't played in two years people. My guess was that it would take half a season for him to get into the swing of things. The offense needs to get it together, no doubt about that. Let's see how the next two games go.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

And....for the 400th time....Rice gained over 500 yards on A&M. Also, for what it's worth, Rice had a bye week to prepare for us.

We coulda and shoulda won that game but it was no disgrace to lose. We are going to win Saturday by 4 touchdowns.

Robert Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm sorry. It is a disgrace to lose to Rice. Until last year, Rice never beat a Big 12 team. They have now beat us twice. If Rice were in the Big 12, they might be the eighth best team in the Big 12.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's think about what you're saying here. You say that Rice would be the 8th best team in the Big 12 this year which is not an outrageous statement to make. KU the last 4 years has finished, last, last, last, and last in the Big 12 and would anybody be shocked if KU did that again this year? As much as we don't want to admit it, KU is likely headed for another last place finish. So let me ask you a question, is it a disgrace for a team that is likely headed for a last place finish for the 5th straight year losing on the road to a team that according to you would be an 8th place team? It absolutely is a disappointment that KU lost, but it's hardly a disgrace compared to some other recent losses in KU's past.

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

We may have one of the better Defenses in the B12 - because B12 teams don't play D -

so we may surprise a few teams (like Texas) and give ourselves a chance to win.

Robert Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

Our defense hasn't seen any offense close to the offenses in the Big 12. While Rice is a decent team offensively, they are still in CUSA.

hawkfansa 1 year, 2 months ago

I was at the game. Along with the drops I have to say I was disappointed with the interception down the sideline that was intended for McKay. He didn't have a chance for that ball and should at least made an effort to knock it down even at the risk of a penalty. Although not the most mobile of QB's, Heaps throws a nice ball when given a little time. For the most part he seemed to have decent time. There's no excuse for the balls that were dropped. Two of those drops were right between the numbers.

bigtex 1 year, 2 months ago

Heaps played decent under the condition he was put in.

kay_you 1 year, 2 months ago

According to the depth chart, McCay, Mundine and Ford have all lost their starting jobs.

KURiggins 1 year, 2 months ago

Heaps is going to be just fine. I predict he is going to be a beast. But like every qb he cannot do it alone. I have worried from the beginning about our ol. Qb has to be protected. Especially a true drop back qb like heaps. Our OL has not toughness. We need some hogs in there pushing that dl around and getting to the second level. And we need a new TE mundaine costs us this game. Hope heaps does not transfer again cause our folks cant catch