Monday, September 16, 2013

KU hoops Boot Camp starts today

KU coach Bill Self huddles with the Jayhawks after a Boot Camp conditioning session in this file photo from 2006.

When Kansas University’s basketball veterans or past players want to see a Jayhawk newcomer squirm, they tell the rookies tall tales about Bill Self’s Basketball Boot Camp.

“I’ve heard a lot of things from alumni to the current guys. They said it’s not going to be easy, but it’s something that makes you tougher. I really want to partake in it,” KU freshman guard Wayne Selden Jr. said.

He gets his wish today through Friday as 18 Jayhawk players join their coaches and team managers for conditioning 6-7 a.m. in Allen Fieldhouse and the team’s practice gym.

“I have heard about it throughout the years,” said KU freshman guard Conner Frankamp, a graduate of Wichita North. “I’m ready for it, I think. It’ll be good.”

The 6-foot, 165-pound Frankamp is known for his own grueling individual workouts with his dad, Marty, throughout the years.

“They say it’s tough,” Frankamp said of players’ words of warning concerning Boot Camp, which 11th-year KU coach Self has held here as well as his other stops — Oral Roberts, Tulsa and Illinois.

“They say to push through it. Once you get through the first couple of days, you are good to go from there,” Frankamp added.

KU’s veterans, who may rattle the nerves of the wide-eyed newcomers before Boot Camp, encourage them during the grueling workouts, which include sprints, defensive slides and backboard touches — non-stop movement without a basketball for about an hour.

“I wouldn’t say I’ve warned them. Boot Camp is only a week this year. That’s all I say to them,” KU junior guard Naadir Tharpe said.

Self has cut Boot Camp from the usual two weeks to one this year because he doesn’t want to wear out his players during an excessively long season. The NCAA is allowing the start of practice on Sept. 27 rather than the usual Friday closest to Oct. 15.

“It’s only a week. That’s what makes it scary,” Tharpe added, knowing Self will make sure to test the mental and physical limits of his troops with only five days on the docket instead of the usual nine or 10.

“I mean, I don’t know if I want to say, ‘Hey, it’s a good thing we’re not doing two weeks.’ I really don’t know what to expect with one week,” senior forward Justin Wesley said. “It can be either good, or it can be bad. We’ll see.”

“That’s good,” Selden said, asked about the one-week Boot Camp.

“All the alumni are kind of mad at that,” he added with a smile.

Wesley, who ran track in middle school, has some words of wisdom for the six freshmen and two transfers going through Boot Camp for the first time.

“Just come in ready to work, just keep pushing. No matter how hard it gets, know we are all in it as a team, and we’re going to finish as a team and have fun with it,” Wesley said. “I think they’ll do fine. We’ve got a good group of new guys coming in. I think they’ll be ready for it and take it well.”

Self said he never considered canceling Boot Camp this year.

“It provides leadership, unity and toughness,” he said, whether it’s one week or two. “All it is is convince your body you can do things you didn’t think you could do.”

Tharpe compares it to the camaraderie he experienced at his prep school, Brewster Academy.

“Coach Jason Smith had us waking up at 6 in the morning to go and do workouts. He basically nurtured me when it came time for Kansas,” Tharpe said. “I’m looking forward to it. We’ll all come in with the attitude to work hard. It will be tough at times, Boot Camp, but that’s why we have this team. We are all going to work together.”

Lyle likes KU: It looks as if KU will be a serious player for JaQuan Lyle, a 6-5 senior guard from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep (originally from Evansville, Ind.), who on Saturday said he was decommitting from Louisville. Lyle, ranked No. 22 nationally by Rivals.com, tells ESPN.com he has spoken with Indiana and UConn. He said KU, Memphis, Arizona, Baylor have also expressed interest.

He told ESPN he’d have a difficult time turning one school down.

“It would probably be Kansas,” Lyle said. “I like them a lot, and me and coach Howard (Jerrance, KU) had a relationship at Illinois and also when he was at SMU.”

Lyle is good friends with No. 4-rated Cliff Alexander, 6-8 from Chicago Curie who will visit KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog. On Sunday, Alexander said on Twitter that he and Lyle would be “playing college basketball together.” Alexander is considering KU, Illinois, Arizona, DePaul, Memphis, Michigan State, Louisville and Kentucky. He’s also close to KU assistant Howard.

Pope update: No. 17-rated Malik Pope, 6-8 senior from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif., tells Rivals.com he will visit KU for Late Night, San Diego State on Sept. 21 and Gonzaga on Sept. 28. He’s also considering Arizona, Baylor, Colorado, Georgetown, Louisville, UCLA, USC and others. Pope broke a bone in his leg near the end of his junior season and broke the same bone a couple weeks ago.

Comments

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 3 months ago

I just hope Wiggins doesn't regret coming here after the first couple of days of Boot Camp. Then again, something tells me he "gets it" and will have a positive attitude about it. It's only 1 week this year instead of 2 anyway.

By the way, will we EVER get a new picture on this story and get rid of the one from 2006?

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

Nope. That would require the LJW to send one guy to snap a photo early in the morning. These Google surveys can't pay for everything.

ParisHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Come on. The coaches just won't let the photographer in every year.

ParisHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The idea is to make him regret it, then work through that.

How can you instill toughness in someone without calling his toughness into question along the way?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey, Hey, Hey....Cheetos are the food of champions....champion Couch Potatos, that is!!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

I really, really, really like Wolfgang Puffs cheetos marsala.

chalkitup1811 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe the last time we won the championship is when Chalmers,Arthur,and Rush were smoking weed! So Cheetos probably are the food of champions!

Ian Emerson 1 year, 3 months ago

If Andrew Wiggins regrets coming to ku during boot camp because its too hard then he won't fit the personality of this team and he shouldn't have come here.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 3 months ago

I was worried Self wouldn't even have a boot camp with his talk about not wearing the team out with the extra practice time this year.

I'm pretty confident Wiggins has the heart for it, he chose KU after all. Should do what it always does, bring the team together. Even if it's shortened this year. I just wish it would encourage me to get in shape every year, rather than post about it at 3AM.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

Last night we dug out our DVD of the 2008 National Championship game and watched it again. Wow, that team was quick and the play was fast. I'm expecting a similar pace from this season's game. But my point is the difference in conditioning between KU and Memphis is very clear late in the second half and particularly in the overtime. Memphis was sucking wind, among other things.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

C'mon man, please don't do that. It's an uncalled for insult to the football team, and frankly any other summer/fall sport. I think it's great to be excited about basketball season, but these kind of comments give KU fans a bad name.

KansasComet 1 year, 3 months ago

Finally....Basketball Season! That's what I said and that's what I meant! I never said anything about KU Football. You are thinking much too much!

COHawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Blame the fans all you want, but it's been a few years since we won on the road, or in the conference, or even just all of our nonconference games. It's a 2-way street.

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

Can't be Basketball Season yet .... We have not won our one football game yet... :P

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 3 months ago

These young guns are going to find this brutal but they are all top prospect kids who have certainly had to work hard to get where they are. Expect Connor to be the biggest stud in boot camp.

I hope Cliff and Lyle pick us!

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

Be careful what you wish for, Connor and Wayne.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

I've never once worried about recruiting since I attended KU in the '80s. Some people obsess about who's coming, who might come, why so and so absolutely must come, etc. The thing is I've never known KU to not have the personnel in place to make the dance every year, to win the league most years, and to compete for a title or at least be in the conversation.

As for boot camp, I wish I could sneak in, I need to lose a few pounds.

milehighhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

In case you want some, uh, "Cliff's Notes" (< see what I did there) ;-)

Cliff Alexander is a beast. He broke a backboard during a game, and generally just goes hard in the paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE39DD...

Haven't bothered looking up the new kid yet, but of all the potential players for next season, Cliff would be tops on my list.

As you said, we're probably good regardless...Rock Chalk

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

A kid at my high school broke the backboard too, but he did it by throwing a medicine ball at it. (he was strong!)

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

By about 10:00 am this morning even their hair will begin to hurt-schitz on! I remember the DI that said "OK men, I think we'll run till I get tired"-never. Only thing that beat a couple of guys to the infirmary was the headlights on the truck that hauled them. Next day they had to paid He had one favorite exercise he called "hanging around." Hands on chin, elbows locked on top bunk, & feet off the floor. Was even worse than crawling through the rattlesnake desert of Pendleton at night. These guys don't know how lucky they are.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

You call that tough??!!

Try getting into a Best Buy at 5:00 in the morning of Black Friday!! The rattlesnakes would be welcome company compared to the crazed Soccer Moms that will rip off your limbs with a cart and not even hesitate to crush forward!!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Rush hour in the burbs is deadly 24/7 with 90% of the Moms & kids on their friggin phones. Bought my 55" Samsung Smart LED on BF last year-on line. Made a call, made the drive, deal was done basically painless. Was waiting for me when I got there-but not at BB. $600 less at Sam's club than most everywhere else. I spent far too many mornings working that time of day to get up that early except for fun. Sometimes I get up to hunt, fish, or leave town at that time but that's just about it. Even too early for the BIG V then also. Just sayin'.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] Notice that everone except Coach Bill and Coach Curtis are now gone from KU...the wheeling keeps a'turnin'.

2] I wonder if HCBS kept the Memorial Brett Ballard Barf Bucket??

3] Alexander The Great is the real deal..and he has a lot of talented friends.

4] I wish Malik Pope only the best but that second break of the same bone is a huge red flag with a shrill siren going off.

5] "The Undefeated Kansas City Chiefs"......how long has it been since you KC fans have been able to say that??!! Congrats and keep it up!!

6] When it comes to KU Boot Camp, it can be summed up by the quote of Major Chip Hazard from the movie, "Small Soldiers"......"THERE WILL BE NO MERCY!!!".

7] I am liking Coach Howard more and more every day!!

8] As I posted this weekend, I retract my criticism of the white helmets...with the all white uniforms, the Hawks looked damned good..until they dropped about every pass thrown to them!!

9] You gotta love Wayne Selden..I'll bet he'll be the guy that yells at HCBS..:C'mon Coach, just one more!!!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

Just a point in fact.... the Chiefs have been undefeated for at least part of every season. Every single year. They're always undefeated from the begiinning to the end of the first game of the season. It is great to see them win the first two this season... or two in a row, any time.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

I might actually pay for a ticket if they played in Kansas. Beer's a lot cheaper at the PX anyway plus no wait at the head or the fridge.

ParisHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Niko Roberts bled through his socks this morning (see Twitter) - and that's just to stay on the practice squad!

Tweets from Tharpe, Conner, Traylor, Embiid - the others must have tired thumbs.

Dirtyphog 1 year, 3 months ago

Danny manning? Trob? And Dooley? All back for one more season.. I've seen this picture for the last 3 years.. Surely being a ku sports site can maybe get an updated one

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 3 months ago

The pic pre-dates TRob by a couple years

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 3 months ago

"I wonder if HCBS kept the Memorial Brett Ballard Barf Bucket??"

It was the Chase Buford barf bucket.....not the Brett Ballard barf bucket. Ballard never even played for Self.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

I know, but I couldn't pass up the aliteration opportunity!! :)

Michael Auchard 1 year, 3 months ago

RE: Pope. Two breaks on the same bone in a leg? That thing has to be massively strong. Not an injury that requires much worry unless he has some crazy vitamin D deficiency.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

I hate to blow Self's cover on boot camp this year, but its really always been more about building toughness and unity than conditioning. Every season KU rotation guys have to play their ways into game condition in games and don't really reach peak condition until "THE MID TERM WEEK OF GETTING BETTER," or the second week of Conference. Those Saturday/Monday games are where the 30 minute men make the final ascent.

Now hear this: I believe Self is setting his most talented young team up for the biggest mind intercourse ever--something this young team can use to define them as tougher than the rest for ever.

At the end of the week, he is going to change his mind and say they need the full two weeks!!!!!

DIABOLICAL!!

All this green wood and the vets are going to leave it all on the floor for a week, then POW!

They are going to be confronted with truly having to make their bodies do something they doubt they can.

Self has been howling about this for months in the shower.

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

I think that's what he's quoted as saying in the article.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Where did he say he is going to extend it to two weeks?!!!

Dang, did I miss it? :-)

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

This is beyond brutal. This is XTReme!!!!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

When I think of boot camp, I think of the football players in the Junction Boys running away from camp at night. Never heard of a KU basketball player quitting because of "boot camp." This just isn't that big of a deal. It's just good old fashioned conditioning at the most basic level. But as jb pointed out, it is more about team building. Pushing your teammates, helping your teammates, suffering some misery together ... and at times, hating your coach together.

On Lyles, don't know if anyone saw the comment by Biancardi, link below. Just something to be mindful of. And couple that with Lyles' comments about immediate playing time -- here's his quote: "Coach [Rick] Pitino and coach [Kevin] Keatts told me that Chris Jones may go to the NBA, but I didn't feel like I was going to come in and play as much as I wanted," Lyle said."

When I think of boot camp, I think of the football players in the Junction Boys running away from camp at night. Never heard of a KU basketball player quitting because of "boot camp." This just isn't that big of a deal. It's just good old fashioned conditioning at the most basic level. But as jb pointed out, it is more about team building. Pushing your teammates, helping your teammates, suffering some misery together ... and at time, hating your coach together.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Is perfectly OK to be redundant in this instance HEM. If any of you ever wrestled, ran track, of played FB for old Bill Freeman at LHS, it was like hearing a dumb a$$ parrot-over & over & over...he was real tough with kids, but no boot even close to military standards. However he did "invite" a few big mouths into his office (shower) now & then. If they came out with blood & bruises they always said they fell. At least these kids today are not likely to endure that. And your dead right about hating the coach. It's pretty easy when you're that young and they really treat you like krap or you just think so. Relying on others is pert near mandatory.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Yay!!!! I have never liked Clark Kellogg's game analysis.

Waylon Cook 1 year, 3 months ago

So glad we have Bill Self. The rest of the athletic dept is a joke but hes the man!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Until Bill starts having his staff fire live rounds over the boys heads and teaching them 50 ways to kill opponents, its all metaphor.

And even then it is just war simulation as the guys that unluckily have to go from war games to real combat make clear.

I want everyone to read "Doing Battle" by Paul Fussell--those that have been in combat, those that lucked out and have not, and those young men thinking they want to "prove" themselves in combat. Fussell gives the best, cruelest account of the human cost of war to the mind of a man I have ever read.

He served and was wounded late in WWII in Europe. It hurt me to read it, but it is a small price for so much insight. It will change you. Be forewarned.

brooksmd 1 year, 3 months ago

Or more recently, Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Thx, I will look for it at B&N tonight.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

Off Topic:

As I have not been able to keep up this summer, I am hoping to gain some enlightenment on which Television Packages are needed to get the majority of KU games this year. I have heard there will be changes, and I have DISH. Is this still a valid provider to get KU games?

Thanks

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Videodrome 2.0 not only offers all of the KU games but will show them inside your abdomen. :-)

Ron Franklin 1 year, 3 months ago

The only thing more painful than surgically installing the videodrome 2.0, would be having to miss a game :)

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm tired of all this pussy footing around about getting these two, or another three. I say we sign them all and get on with entering into the OAD MATRIX.

What the hell! Sign Lebron for a year. Maybe in house counsel can find a loop hole to argue Lebron still has a year of D1 eligibility left!!!

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 3 months ago

Its funny that he posts this and were not even on his list for espn haha fine by me..

baldwinbulldawg 1 year, 3 months ago

This news about Lyle is nice. But give me Okafor Tyus Jones and Kelly Oubre any day

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Now dawg, there's no reason we can't have all FIVE!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

I just want to prepare everyone.

I've resisted as long as I could, but I have finally bought a copy and am reading Dean Smith's old book on basketball fundies, offenses,and defenses.

I'm going to be going on some rants shortly and desperately fighting the temptation for a Sears powder blue double knit smoking jacket, white shoes, and some Kools. :-)

Juicy teaser: the Carolina Passing Offense was pinched from Henry Iba's Olympic team offense by Olympic team member Larry Brown, who came back to UNC immediately after the Olympics as a UNC assistant and installed it first as UNC's zone offense, and then with a few screens and cuts added, it became UNC's core offense vs. M2M and Zone defenses. Stay tuned for what offense it was!

www.BASKETBALLCRYPTOME.ORG

(note: if under NSA-NCAA cyber attack, try mirror site @ www.WIKIHOOPSLEAKS.net.)

ITEM: RUN UP TO SHOCK AND AWE BASKETBALL SEASON BEGINS UNDER COVER OF SYRIA DELAY WITH KU PLAYERS locked down in boot camp in the ABOVE TOP SECRET Kansas Basketball Practice facility aka the FEMA COB (Federal Emergency Management Agency--Continuity of Basketball) installation" on Naismith Drive in Lawrence, KS.

NON SEQUITUR DOOM'S DAY FILM ALLUSION signifying sound and fury but nothing more: "Lawrence, Kansas, are you there?"

ITEM: "Some Red Cross Care packages recommended for air drop to the players...memory sticks crammed with Kate Upton jpegs, kevlar ballistic love dolls, anime porno in Simpsons wrappers, battery powered callous files, goggles for popping blisters, medical marihuana brownies disguised in energy bar wrappers, pizza by the ton, IV fluid bags by the metric ton, 5000 lineal feet of litmus paper for testing acidity in barf barrels, medical lazers for cutting ankle tape, gatorade suppositories, zombie post cards emblazoned with "Wish you were here!"

SIGINT REMINDER: during boot camp, Google Earth removes satellite imagery of FEMA COB to prevent Fred Hoiberg from hacking into NSA connections via Google Earth and studying work outs via infrared heat signatures.

EYEBALLING THE KU BASKETBALL PRACTICE FACILITY FROM BOTH GROUND ZERO AND LOW EARTH ORBIT:

PLAYER ACCESS PASSPHRASE FOR THE DAY: CO-EDS

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

konk, I am so with you on III.

This is why I would like him to red shirt. He can help the team this year, but he is such a solid person I want him to to get what Travis got--his time in the sun. He can get it too. Early departures and injuries and some bad incoming transcripts will give him his shot.

KUFan90 1 year, 3 months ago

I love seeing the old 2006 picture every year.

One of the best from Boot Camp.

Thanks for the memories Gary!