Monday, September 16, 2013

Boot Camp opens; ‘nobody threw up’

Kansas guard Andrew White puts up a shot prior to tipoff against Richmond on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball players didn’t act as if they’d just rolled out of bed during Monday’s 6-7 a.m. Bill Self Basketball Boot Camp session in the Jayhawks’ practice facility next to Allen Fieldhouse.

“There was so much communication going on today in Boot Camp — just to make sure everybody was getting through it, at the pace we needed to have it done,” KU sophomore Andrew White III said.

He indicated the Jayhawk players were barking out encouraging words to each other, not talking in their sleep on the first day of the 2013-14 preseason weeklong conditioning program.

“The first day of Boot Camp went well all the way around,” added White, a 6-6, 210-pound shooting guard from Richmond, Va. “Everybody on the team worked hard, everybody finished, and nobody threw up, so it was a real good experience. Me individually? I felt good and felt like my wind was pretty good (during sprints, defensive slides and backboard touches) and got the running knocked out. I’m looking forward to Day Two. It’s just one week, so anything is better than two weeks.”

Boot Camp has been shortened from two weeks to one this preseason because Self doesn’t want to wear out his troops in the NCAA’s new, marathon season that starts on Sept. 27 rather than the Friday closest to Oct. 15.

“I like the idea of it (Boot Camp) because, a lot of times when we’re in tough games, I just think about those sprints and things we had to do in Boot Camp. Coach does it for a reason,” White said. “I think when everybody finishes, everybody takes pride in having so much adversity, you know, together as a team. I think that’s what really brings a lot of guys together.”

White said KU’s six freshmen “did well. Like I said, everybody finished, and everybody was up to pace, so I think they did really well today. We didn’t have to do much extra, so that’s always good for the first day, especially with the young guys.”

KU coach Self was satisfied with the first session of the preseason.

“It went very well,” Self said. “It was a hard day. Everybody finished. Andrew White stood out to me today.”

Tough rookie year: White was asked by a reporter if it was difficult playing sparingly his freshman season.

“It was very difficult. I applied myself every day and tried to progress as fast as I could. Even though I was frustrated, I just tried to stick with the team concept, and having that experience is something I’ll look to use as a major advantage this year,” said White, who averaged 2.2 points and 5.0 minutes in 25 games.

He said he never considered transferring.

“I felt like, even last year, this is a place I could have contributed, and this is a place I can contribute this year, so I didn’t ever have any transfer talk just because I have a lot of confidence in my game, and I think, eventually, I’ll be where I need to be so that I can play. This year, hopefully, will be a big year for me,” he said.

Tweets: KU freshman center Joel Embiid’s take on Twitter: “Boot Camp first day down!!! So tired, Need a ride to class but at least I didn’t throw up.”

KU senior Niko Roberts on Twitter: “#BootCamp can get real ... Bleeding through two pairs of socks #WeWorking.”

Tulsa’s Boot Camp underway: Former KU player and assistant coach Danny Manning obviously is a believer in Boot Camp. “First day of 6 a.m. Boot Camp is in the books. Two weeks to go #GoTU,” Manning, Tulsa’s second-year coach, wrote on Twitter after the Hurricane’s first Boot Camp session Monday.

Recruiting: KU has not made the final cut for Stanley Johnson, a 6-6 senior from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif. Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated player nationally has cut his list to Kentucky, Arizona, Southern California, Florida and Oregon. He reported cutting KU and UCLA from his list on Twitter.

Lyle update: No. 22-rated JaQuan Lyle, a 6-5 guard from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who decommitted from Louisville Saturday, said Monday he will make recruiting trips to KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog, plus UConn, Arizona and Memphis.

Comments

David Leathers 1 year, 3 months ago

How you know that KU football is struggling (still): CaliHawk is opening the boot camp article first just to confirm that nobody lost their breakfast.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm going to highjack your first post, RockChalkCaliHawk, because I think KU fans will find this very interesting:

Evan Daniels @EvanDanielsFOX 19m The word behind the scene is Kansas currently leads for the top 3 big men (Okafor, Turner & Alexander) in the 2014 class. Think about that.

(My own additional comment: This also may suggest that Self considers Embiid gone after one year and Ellis gone after this year as well.)

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

HMO, I think Perry is smarter than that. The game only lasts a few short years for 70-80% of the guys that DO make the L. Milt got his degree and is running a multi million dollar corporation because of it. Surely Perry has more savvy than to think he can play with grown men at age 20. Most of those guys are mean streak warriors. You gotta have a lot of intangibles to go along with the talent in the pros. Ask Wayne Simeon.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 3 months ago

Haha UConn, Arizona and Memphis? Please, both Alexander and him are coming to KU and we are pre season #1. LETS GO!

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm so looking forward to this season, with all the new pieces to fit in, an earlier start with less Boot Camp and more time for coaches to get everybody on the same page. No reason not to expect another successful Big XII campaign, a rockin' March tournament and maybe two games in April???
Welcome to Mr. Black and the entire freshman crew! You have the chance to have a VERY special season at KU, and the entire Jayhawk Universe is ready for Late Night and the start of the REAL New Year!!

Rock Chalk!!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

• Brock, you read your tea leaves right about Stanley Johnson. Take a bow!

• Manning going two weeks of BC? Self going one? Brock, is Self really going to let this end at one week? Tea leaves please?

• "It’s just one week, so anything is better than two weeks.”--III DON'T BET ON IT, III. Stay centered. Be prepared for anything! Wish you would red shirt to catch a break on some numbers, but Self is probably going to need your gun and Hudy-ized body to play, when the going gets tough. 40% from trey. Master Help Defense. Feed the post. 80-90% FT. No stick passing. Guard the opponent's top perimeter scorer. Don't crack in the toughening box. B-Star kept facing higher ranked players with these tools and Self could never keep him off the floor more than 25 mpg against two straight OADs.

• Self recruits could do, but he plays can do. He plays go get the ball for 16 minutes of each half and then close it for the last four.

• Every Self team needs a glue 2 and/or a glue 3 at closing time.

• Self hates being nervous at closing time. Self is at his genius best as a coach at the start of halves and after time outs and during the fat of each half; that is when he is impacting. But the last 4 minutes of games; that is when the players take over; that is when he needs 5-7 closers--guys that can get her done under the worst conditions imaginable--guys that wont foul, TO, or choke on a look. Guys that can run the weave and pick the right look, make the right shot, or glue the right shot, or give the help that gets the stop, or man-up alone for the stop. One or two of these high ranked freshman are probably not going to cut it as closers for 3/4s or all season. You be a closer that reduces Self's nervousness the last 240 seconds and he'll marry you for sure.

• Glad to see III emerging as a steadying voice. He has the right stuff. New nickname: Yeager.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

I had a chance to watch Stanley Johnson a lot this spring and summer - in person and on the tube. He plays hard and is basketball tough. I question his ability to hit the outside shot, however, and that could be a real problem for him. He looks like he is really an under-size 4 than a big wing. He will do well...someplace else.

I just don't think there was any evidence that KU wanted this kid. He probably couldn't beat out Brannen Greene.

Robert Robinson 1 year, 3 months ago

"• Self is already telling you and everyone else what he needs most, when he says he is going to be extremely nervous the last 4 minutes of games. LISTEN! He is a beautiful woman telling you exactly what she needs to have a relationship. Ever notice how many dull, ugly guys are with talented, beautiful women? Its because they know how to give that sort of woman exactly what she needs at exactly the moment she needs it! They listen, dont talk too much, and deliver whatever she needs at closing time." Quote of the day

RJ King 1 year, 3 months ago

Regarding listening for cues: In an episode of Mad Men, Don Draper says something along the line of,

"People tell us all the time who they are. We ignore them because we want them to be what we need them to be."

So true in business, relationships, and yes - as you point out - coaching. And, as someone with options, I ended up with an ordinary looking, incredibly bright, "active listener."

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Craigslist > Lawrence Kansas > Jobs > Basketball

LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD MEN: Successful D1 head coach looking for five closers to reduce job related stress. Full and part time opportunities. Lots of room for advancement. Competitive educational and career benefits. Room, board, books, and tutoring provided. Class attendance expected. Extensive travel. Good people skills a must. Long hours. Must handle criticism well. Media skills preferred. Experience preferred. High school diploma required. Send resume to: Head Coach, Kansas Basketball, Naismith Drive, Lawrence, Kansas.

Ken Sedgwick 1 year, 3 months ago

Sounds like Niko's new neakers looked better than they fit. His week will be the longest.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 3 months ago

Sounds like he needs to watch a video on how the late John Wooden instructed his players to put their socks on to avoid blisters...

Dirtyphog 1 year, 3 months ago

I feel reassured that AW3 will be around and understands the bill self process, I always thought he had great potential and could be a really good player for KU, I was worried he may take the anrio Adams path and transfer but I'm glad he's sticking through it.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

His playing time hinges on his work in the weight room. He has to get quicker. If he can, he can be a very good player for KU.

I'm liking our chances on Lyle and Alexander, more and more.

Benz Junque 1 year, 3 months ago

I think his playing time hinges on playing better defense and hitting better than a putrid 27.8% from 3 point range. It would also help if he reduced his 1:11 A/TO rate a bit.

POTENTIAL means nothing in this sport. You either walk the walk or you ride the pine.

Dirtyphog 1 year, 3 months ago

His 3 poin average is skewed, he was thrown into late game situations and asked to hit 3s, after sitting cold for an hour and a half.. If he had consistent time out there it would be more than 27%

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I guess you've never watched an NBA draft...potential is the #1 indicator of draft position.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree on Alexander but Oubre over Lyle and Turner takes the BIG slot.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope Andrew White can be a factor this year. With the way he shoots, he could become unconscious and make 30 sometime. With so much talent on the team, I would think Self would be able to rotate two completely different teams to keep everybody fresh.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

After the twins, Reed & BStar all left, I emphatically posted that the11' season would be HCBS biggest challenge ever, left with only with Trob, TT, &, on paper, not very much highly recruited talent-Conner Tehan? The cupboard was essentially bare. Self answered that bell with a hard fought UK showdown in the NC, but managing, teaching, motivating, & utilizing what is here now may be just as difficult as the 11' team. Personally, I think it will be another very deep run again; elite 8 or higher. And some egos will again be damaged & maturity may be more relevant to the cohesiveness of this team than in any recent year. But a one week boot camp tells me that Bill is tweaking his master plan somewhat to adjust for the players he has, & is concerned about how far he tears these guys down. Our old coach BF at LHS was like a friggin' wife with a maiden name of Lombardi-absolutely my way or the highway-fear is the greatest motivator! But in any walk of life, business, manufacturing, military, & especially sports, exceptionally great & successful leaders always adjust on the fly & recognize talent & allow it to flourish within structure for the benefit of the group. That is precisely what I've learned to expect from Bill Self.There may be others as good, but HMO, surely not many better. It's gonna be another really great year for KUBB so RCJH.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

2011 was hardly bare outside of Trob and TT - EJ was #24 in 2009 class and Withey was #36 in 2008 class and each one of them had a couple of years of playing within BS system.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Elijah significantly underachieved from his Rivals ranking throughout his career. A 5 star kid couldn't beat Brady Morningstar for the starting job?!?! I'm a big Brady fan, but EJ should've him out as a sophomore and we all saw why his last two years with his inconsistent play that was down more than up. Jeff Withey at the time was a completely unproven player at the time who got bullied whenever he played as a sophomore. There was a lot of uncertainty with the pieces on that team and that team was 6 deep. That was KU's worst team in 20 years and Self still got them to the title game.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Good post..as usual. My only disagreement was in EJ's Junior year. With Tyshawn firmly planted at the point, EJ was allowed to look for his shot without the pressure of getting the ball to his teammates first. I thought EJ's third-year was what we should have gotten from his sophomore and more importantly his senior year.

EJ has plenty of talent but he has always played like he had to do more than just his job. If he had just allowed his teammates to make plays during the complete breakdown against Michigan, maybe we could have had an awesome finish instead of this bad taste still in my mouth.

How is it that we have the #109 Tyrel and the unranked Brady starting with two top 25 players on the bench?

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

Nay sayin' board rats said so-not me. I didn't just fall off the melon truck.

Justin Steele 1 year, 3 months ago

AW3 will have a great career!! glad his head is in the right place!

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

This is an unusually young and inexperienced team and Bill Self is smart in getting the "Boot Camp" stuff out of the way and putting his young 'uns into "Smart Camp."

They have a lot to learn!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 3 months ago

I cant imagine the line for Late Night this year, that party is going to be insane.

Still cant wait to see what we do with our rotation. It is up to the players to earn it, but on paper we could play with 10 guys.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

He damn near won it all with an old Studebaker in 11'/12', and it took a couple of years, but he did win it with a Porsche in 08'. Maybe he gets top banana again with a Ferrari at the pole in 13'/14'. Anyone looked up the Vegas line for these JBirds?

selfhimbill 1 year, 3 months ago

Actually, one may send a resume from any on earth addressed only to: "Head Coach, Kansas Basketball" (i.e. while accurate, the addition of, "Naismith Drive, Lawrence, Kansas" is unnecessary) and we'll receive it and we'll review it.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

I've got a really strong vibe that Alexander commits Oct 4 at Late Night. I think Lyle will be right behind him. Some think Jones and Okafor are dookie bound, but think only Jones may commit to dook. However, Okafor doesn't seem to favor the "packaged" thing. It won't surprise me if they go to dook, but still say that until Okafor commits, KU has a great chance. I think we could get either Okafor or Turner. Pending the year and who jumps, we should get one of the two. Frankly, the Okafor/Alexander hype is as strong as the Okafor/Jones hype. I also think Alexander is recruiting before he even arrives at a program. Turner may be swayed to SMU and wouldn't have a problem with HCLB getting him.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Logjam -- there is a playing time logjam. No doubt. Bruce Weber would trade his starting five for our bottom 5 scholarship players without thinking about it. Rick Barnes might do that too. Logjam.

No 10 man rotation - Ok, maybe in November, vs. pud opponents. Rotation minutes are about 13 per game.

No Roy-like 5 for 5 subs - Yes, we can play two separate teams. This isn't Self's m.o.

Best Indicator - Much like the Michigan St. game gave us great insight into how Self plans to manage his rotation, look for the Nov. 12 Duke game to be this year's window.

Trust - Self will tighten his rotation to his most trusted -- and this guides Self in determining who he plays. Trust.

Attitude - is a player going to be Releford-like or Adams-like? AW3 sounds like he's Releford-like. I hope it pays off for him.

Transfers are inevitable - don't fear it, embrace it. If you "trust Self", Self is the one who ultimately decides who goes and who stays -- whether it be directly, through an assistant, or by the handling of a player. This time last season we were discussing the Traylor/Peters/Lucas situation. It made sense that one had to go. It was simple numbers, and talent level of those three vs. the talent level of recruits coming in. It just wasn't the one I (and others) predicted. Imagine if Self lands Alexander and Lyles? Or Oubre and Turner? What if he hits another slam and gets three top guys (only possible if someone beyond Wiggins and Black leave)? Let's say he gets Oubre and Turner only. And only Wiggins and Black leave. Frontcourt - Ellis, Embiid, Turner, Mickelson, Traylor, Lucas; Backcourt - Tharpe, Selden, Oubre, Greene, White, Frankamp, Mason. You cannot tell me that two guys there don't leave. Crowded. You just can't keep everyone happy.

If no one pukes, is it really boot camp?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 3 months ago

Great post. But I still have a hard time embracing a transfer. White may have been that guy last year, but it sounds like he may be pushing for the backup mins of Andrew. We still have a lot of unknowns as to what level each guy will be playing at in early November; which players made big strides and which of the 8 guys that didn’t play in games under Self last year will be contributing from day one.

I am excited and worried at the same time for what can happen in the future. I just worry that we may have 3 one-n-done freshmen and 2 or 3 potential transfers; we could go from an embarrassment of riches to a bare cupboard.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Logjam. Very interesting reading today, the AW3 situation. Perhaps an answer to the many posters who have assumed that, of all possible redshirts, AW3 might wear one this year. This article would appear to debunk that assumption, at least at this early juncture. AW#3 is anointed to handle the Day One Boot Camp interview; and he indicates that he looks forward to contributing this season. If he does, indeed, back up Wiggins, where does that leave B. Greene in the grand schematic? (Backup for Selden?) Then, what about Frankamp? (If Mason, indeed, competes well with Tharpe for point minutes....) Someone with talent will ride the bench lots this year, or make a late decision to select a red shirt. More than one someone, likely.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

A RS would be a huge compliment to him. It says a lot about the roster, plus we could really use him over the next 2-3 years. We have Greene too, which is going to pose an interesting challenge to Self. I want to see how AW3 and Greene comp for pt over the next 2 years.

2014-15

Tharpe/Lyle (?)/Mason Greene/Selden (?)/CF - it's nice to have Greene if Selden jumps White/Oubre (?) Ellis/Alexander Embiid/Lucas/Turner (?)/Okafor (?)- if Embiid jumps we'll need either Turner or Okafor

RE- I've been advocating a CF/White OR Greene/Mason RS this season. Either way is a win win for Self. It's still early. If this piece is any indication, I'd lean toward a Greene/Mason RS. If Lyle commits, the PG will be tight with Tharpe's Sr yr, Mason's Soph yr, and Lyle's Frosh yr. Mason's future is going to change if Lyle commits.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Good points HEM. I have often stated, although not with complete seriousness, that we could possibly have two top 25 teams from the players on this year's team. Obviously substitutions, possible injuries and complete lack of depth make that impossible but there are two top 25 starting lineups on this year's team.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Moon- I just read your post and glanced at your link. I remember the piece back when Self had an in-home with Okafor and his dad. Okafor's dad was high on Self and Jahlil loves Self. I really think our chances almost doubled for Okafor after reading this piece. Okafor and Alexander are really close and want to play together. I think Okafor at the 5 and Alexander at the 4 will be nasty. If you add Lyle at the 1, KU is simply outlawed. Ellis will get all his pt too. Throw either Greene or White at the 3, B12 bball programs might throw their hands in the air like they don't care- hahaha, it's good to be a Jayhawk.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

drgnslayr....you do realize Calipari contributes more in money and time than 99.99% of any coach on any college/professional sports team, right?

Brak 1 year, 3 months ago

Coaching a Puerto Rican team so he can get a recruit doesn't count as contributing time and giving his players a salary and Jay Z concert tickets doesn't count as contributing money, nice try though.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 3 months ago

You obviously haven't heard about the:

• Calipari Family Foundation for Children at Memphis
  • provided financial assistance to the Y.E.S. Foundation for year-round tutoring of middle school students at Memphis.
  • Calipari pledged $1 million out of his own pocket to the Street Ministries program in Memphis.
  • organized the telethon 'Take Hoops for Haiti,' raising more than $1.5 million for victims of the devastating Haiti earthquake in January 2010.
  • the $75,000 he raised for Kentucky’s Children Hospital
  • telethon he’s hosted help victims of Hurricane Sandy
  • organized exhibition game raising $350K to multiple Kentucky charities
  • fantasy experience auction raising $340K to charity
  • Cal's alumni game two weeks ago raised $1M for charity through the Calipari Foundation

There are many other publicized stories on Calipari's charity work and I'm sure many more that aren't publicized. I'm sure you were aware of these, right?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

BBall...Not in any way disagreeing, simply because I don't know, but I would need to see a statistical breakdown to prove your point. I simply do not believe your statement.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 3 months ago

The true measure of one's character is not how he lives or gives when times are going great for him, but how he lives when life is not going well. Many colleagues from Cal's past would say that your praises are just a little overboard, especially considering that charitable contributions are very often a way for the very wealthy to elude the IRS. Just a guess, but doesn't about every NFL team has a guy or 2 that has a "foundation" for something. Philanthropy is wonderful for those in need, but let's be realistic about the whole picture. Not saying he's a bad guy, but surely one cannot read more "sainthood" into such a resume. Are you sure you're on the correct message board? Don't you belong on fox or cbs or an sec site? Praising Mr Brylcream won't get many attaboy's on this one. Just sayin...

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Nobody threw up on the first day of boot camp, you're getting soft Self!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] Can you all imagine the pressure on Tyler Self NOT to throw up!!

2] Would I love to see Jo Jo and Alexander The Great, in Crimson and Blue on the floor in Allen at the same time next year.

3] Maybe with this potential 10-11 man rotation, we press this year, get big leads and Bill won't have to worry about the last three or four minutes.

4] I love the fact that nobody is really talking about Perry.....he's gonna be a match-up nightmare for a lot of teams.

5] Andrew Wiggins may be, in the long run, Bill's most significant recruit. If he suceeds like he should, he will change the perception of Kansas by high school elites for a decade. Kansas will get the true recognition all of us have known for a long, long time.

6] Projectile vomitting, hurling chunks, losing breakfast, up-chucking, pukarama, praying to the porcelain god, retching...aahh, the poetic phrases the go with this dramatic event!

7] Any word on the structure fated to house The Rules?? C'mon, it's not the Great Pyramid of Cheops, for God's sake!! Oh, I get it...the track has to be removed first. :(

8] Neopolitan is the favorite ice cream for those who can't commit!! Girls, if you're dating a guy and that's his favorite flavor....DUMP HIM!!!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

• Tossing a pizza? :-)

• Neo-politan is the ice cream of choice in "The Matrix."

• Re: the rules--from the moment they weren't immediately put in the field house where they belonged, we should have known some kind of a game was under way.

"Make me wanna holler" --Marvin Gaye.

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

Based on history, the more experienced player has an advantage. That would say that White would be the favorite to be first off the bench as a wing. Obviously, Greene or Frankamp could prove otherwise. It is interesting and exciting that the big guy recruits are reported to be favoring us. Also, the thought that Alexander may commit this fall, before he knows he goes and stays, is interesting. If that were to happen, either Self has sold him that either 1 or both of Embiid or Ellis will be gone after this year, or he is taking the attitude that he will get playing time no matter who is still here. You would think that the top players would take this attitude, but they don't seem to..........they often wait until spring to see who declares for the draft.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 3 months ago

Marvin Gaye is one of the best singers of all time. What's Goin On? Best R&B album of all time. I'm gonna have to say CF redshirts. Andrew White is talented but knows the system. You just can't beat experience when it comes to college ball.