Friday, September 13, 2013

KU hoops schedule rated toughest

Kansas University’s upcoming 2013-14 nonconference basketball schedule rates as the toughest in the country, ESPN.com stated Monday.

Analyst Eamonn Brennan tapped the Jayhawks’ slate No. 1, followed by Memphis, Georgetown, Duke, Michigan, Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Colorado and North Carolina.

The Jayhawks travel to Colorado and Florida, play Duke in Chicago, New Mexico in Kansas City and San Diego State and Georgetown in Allen Fieldhouse. They also play Iona, Towson, Toledo and Louisiana Monroe at home and travel to the Battle 4 Atlantis tourney, in which they open against Wake Forest, then meet either USC or Villanova in the second round.

“No one else makes the most of the two months preceding conference play. The Jayhawks have just two true cupcakes on their docket (Iona and Towson are plenty talented, and you likely will see them in March). The rest of the slate is populated by a combination of elite fixtures (the Andrew Wiggins-Jabari Parker matchup at the Champions Classic just needs to get here already, please), brutal road games (at Colorado, at Florida), very solid home fixtures (New Mexico, Georgetown, San Diego State) and a high-quality exempt tournament (the Battle 4 Atlantis) which contains Tennessee, Villanova and Iowa among its potential upset threats,” Brennan wrote.

“Especially interesting? This is not a normal Kansas season. Most years, (coach Bill) Self would unveil a schedule like this (though rarely this tough) to a crop of veteran, experienced, developmentally ripened veterans. This year, he will lead an almost entirely new batch of young players — featuring Wiggins, yes, but also classmates Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid, Brannen Greene and Conner Frankamp — into the breach. Watching how that team develops and congeals in the early months is going to be highly intriguing, far more so than any argument about who has the best schedule in the country. That debate should be settled.”

Self, whose team begins practice Sept. 27 in accordance with NCAA rules, with Late Night in the Phog set for Oct. 4, acknowledges the schedule might be the toughest in his 11 years at KU.

“A couple years ago, with a team that lost a lot off a No. 1 seed, you had Kentucky, Georgetown, UCLA, Duke and Ohio State — five games in a six-or seven-game stretch that were ridiculously hard. It’s probably the best schedule anybody played in the country that year. This certainly rivals that,” Self said. He was referring to 2011-12, when KU went 10-3 nonconference and 32-7 overall after losing the Morris twins, Josh Selby and others.

“It’s going to be tough because there are no gimme games. There’s no games, ‘Hey let’s just show up and get experience tonight,’ or, ‘Let’s work on combinations.’ They are all games we are going to have to play to win. We’re going to get everybody’s best shot. It should be fun, exciting. It will be a handful for us, but a schedule that will force us to be good early.”

The 10 worst nonconference schedules as listed by ESPN.com’s Jason King: Air Force, Arkansas, Clemson, Houston, Mississippi State, Pitt, Seton Hall, TCU, Texas A&M and Utah.

New rankings for 2015: KU is involved in the recruitment of the top four players in Rivals.com’s list of the top 150 players in the Class of 2015, which was released Thursday. They are: Malik Newman, 6-3, Callaway High, Jackson, Miss.; Stephen Zimmerman, 7-foot, Bishop Gorman High, Las Vegas; Ivan Rabb, 6-9, Bishop O’Dowd, Oakland, Calif.; and Diamond Stone, 6-10, Dominican High, Milwaukee.

Of Newman, Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi writes: “Probably more of a natural shooting guard than he is a point guard at this stage in his development, Newman has proven to be a big-time bucket-getter on any stage. He led USA Basketball’s Under 16 team in scoring over the summer, proved to be mostly unguardable at Nike’s LeBron James Skills Academy, and teamed with 2014’s No. 2 player Emmanuel Mudiay to form one of the most dangerous backcourts that the grassroots circuit has seen in quite some time.

“The son of former Mississippi State star Horatio Webster, Newman is coveted by most of the country’s major programs. Rick Ray will certainly try to get Newman to follow in his father’s steps to Starkville, but Arizona, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville N.C. State, Ole Miss and many others are among those that would love to have him as well, and the competition will be stiff.”

Comments

jaybate 1 year ago

"Someone Posted Yesterday about Old Municipal Auditorium Being.Rehabbed Again"

This just MADE my day! I grew up in Municipal Auditorium--Pendergast's Palace. Everyone read "Tom's Town" by William Reddig. It's a good book about how KC became a city, not just a cow town by machine politics. If I recall correctly, it leaves out the part about Judge Thomas Mellon making him a big time player, but then so does every other book about KC I've read!

Still, one walk through old Municipal shows what a civic minded boss and his machine could do right with a good architect and some of The machine's cement at the height of the Great Depression. It's one of the 20 most memorable buildings I have been in and I have been all over America and Western Europe. It is just awesome and the arena is just one part of it!!!

It is easily one of the ten greatest Streamline Moderne buildings of all time, if one adheres to architectural criticism's catholic definition of its style, which I no longer do, in this case.

Whatever you adhere to, forget art deco. it isn't Art Deco. The great WWI MEMORIAL is art deco. To architecture critics, this awesome multi-use, concrete box by KC's own Alonzo Gentry was to public arenas what streamline locomotives by Henry Dreyfuss, Raymond Loewy, and Norman Bel Geddes were to trains. But of course one glance at the giant concrete box of golden rectangles and one knows Gentry made no effort to streamline a giant box.

So what did Gentry do?

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

I posted the article, feeling the same love you do for this building and hoping you would write this epistle expressing with the words and history this architectural wonder deserves.

jaybate 1 year ago

Part 2

If it isn't a streamline moderne, and if it isn't Art Deco, then just WTF is this concrete massif?

It ought rightly be classified BRUTAL FUNCTIONALISM.

Gentry was a functionalist descended from Louis Sullivan and Willis Polk. Functionalism said architecture was a rational solution to a problem of function. Every aspect of a building was to be rationalized in terms of function, given site, use and materials available. Sullivan being a disciple of French functionialist architects viewed beauty as a basic function of architecture. Thus ornament was reasoned to be a functional means to a beautiful end. Ornament's function was to give any form language of architecture both its visual punctuation of form and also a unifying motif. Ornament guided the eye around massive form. It contributed balance. It prevented surface tedium. But most of all it gave the eye visual cues about building orientation. Ornament was functional.

But Municipal was like some of Frank Lloyd Wright's less landscape organic explorations of functionalism (e.g., Johnson Wax in Racine and the Guggheheim in NYC) a kind of PRAIRY BRUTALISM at around the same time modernists in Europe were edging into poured concrete brutal modernism (I.e., Corbu's gothic modern with inverted massing).

Note: Frank Lloyd Wright was a student of Sullivan and never forgot his functionalist roots; this was why Wright's work never abandoned ornament as Mies Bauhaus modernists like Van Der Roe did.

And if one looks at Municipal as an early example of Brutal Functionalism, instead of the misleading filter of streamline moderne, or Art Deco, then you can see old Municipal as an antecedent of Wright's Gugghenheim Museum. Wright, a devotee of poured concrete, worked in KC and had to have seen and considered what Gentry had done with Municipal. It was an extremely influential building in its time.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

I love the Guggen. It seems kind of spartan to me on the outside, with all the concrete, but the inside is really neat. The art inside isnt to bad either :)

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

One of the first "modern" baseball parks constructed with Lloyds' cantilever construction process was the old Senator's stadium in DC. Watched games there as a teenager. There were no columns to obstruct the view. I remember seeing Frank Howard hit one about 10 rows from the top of the upper deck in dead center-was still going up when it hit. They painted the seat white & never sold a ticket for it. They re-named the stadium several times & finally tore it down to build Redskins Stadium several years ago.

jaybate 1 year ago

Part 3

The reasons that it was not often copied were two. First, it was built with impossibly vast and expensive quantities of cement because the Pendergast machine was cornerstoned in part on a cement/concrete business. Second, like a lot of innovative buildings of the 1930s it's construction could not be duplicated without the cheap labor of that period.

To some degree, municipal was built as giant poured concrete block with cavities and connecting corridors and ramps within it. To me it always felt going in it what it must feel like to go into the Great Pyramid. Call Municipal The Great Polygon. It was intentionally alienating counterpoint to its surroundings, so it was modernist to this extent. It was a maze of internal catacombs. It was so massive it seemed like a vast web of underground caverns, where the air could stay a constant 65 degrees. I know it needed HVAC, but that was how it seemed to me as a boy. It was almost scary in its massiveness in the same way gothic cathedrals and pyramids are. And just as I stood in awe at Reim Cathedral wondering how that stone roof kept from falling, I wondered the same about the giant concrete ceiling of the old arena. There was madness in Municipal of a kind similar to what I have felt in all great gothic cathedrals--democratic instead of divine--but palpable madness of aspiration to bring fantasy from silence to light, to borrow Louis Kahn's words.

I don't want to go to church every Sunday in Reim cathedral. I probably wouldn't want season tickets at old Municipal. But both changed me permanently with their awe inspiring architecture. Both have to be experienced to be believed. John Ruskin would have liked Municipal. Alonzo Gentry dare not be forgotten.

The KCP&L building of Gentry's places him more comfortably in 20 th century high rise architectural functionalist mainstream, like a Willis Polk, or the folks that built the Empire State Building. But Municipal reveals a man of genius and a man with some balls willing to get down with his democratic demons inside him. How does one combine a high brow symphony hall with a basketball arena and a boat show?

I so hope they preserved the clock at one end of the arena. The ceiling is absolutely mesmerizing. And it is a crime that they took down the old goal standards. They were like sculpture supported by wire!!!

jaybate 1 year ago

Part 4

Municipal was so great for going to a boat show that going to one in any other building since has been a bore. Same for the circus. A circus without Municipal loses half it magic. I was too young when I went to hear the KC Philharmonic to know if the acoustics were bad, but I LOVED the way it looked and felt!! I still remember the paradox of those felt seats and that awesome concrete ceiling in the arena with a guy yelling: "Hey, frosty malts! Get your frosty malts HERE!"

I hope the rehab respected the greatness of the Streamline Moderne motif that Gentry layed on as ornament in his Brutal Functionalism architecture of KC's great unsung architect of Demos. If you have read "the Gothic" by John Ruskin, then you will know why this building is so great. It looks utterly like what it is made of--concrete, and it isn't revivalist at all. It is PRAIRY BRUTAL FUNCTIONALIST!!!!

jayrod58 1 year ago

Great posts about my second favorite sports arena. KC is fortunate to have two arenas that feature the best of old and new.

REHawk 1 year ago

jb, thanks for the background info. For a couple of decades, my post-college years in KC were highlighted by trips to the Municipal Auditorium, primarily for boxing and track and field events. The Jim Ryan appearances still loom huge in my bank of memories. What a terrific venue!

jhox 1 year ago

I had the pleasure of watching Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich, and their Lakers' team play there, which was one of the greatest teams of all time. Somehow my Dad, a small town postmaster, landed front row tickets and brought me to the game.

I love the inside of that arena. Too bad KU has become so popular that they've outgrown the possibility of playing there. That would be a blast.

Displayhawk 1 year ago

Jaybate, this was the only one of your posts that I have ever read all the way through. I too can trace my childhood through Municipal Auditorium. I attended so many Big 8 Track and Field events there, they all seem to run together. The 100 yard dash that ended under the seats, and finding a metal cleat that had fallen off a runners shoe. I saw my first rock concert there, (Kansas) and couldn't hear the next day! Wonderful memories!

tampajhawk1 1 year ago

i saw the Black Crowes there a few years (ok a lot of years) back. they'd brought their southern harmony background singers and a genuine B3 Wurlitzer with them. unreal. one of the best shows i've ever seen, largely due to the coziness of the venue.

Al Martin 1 year ago

Great post(s). Another Municipal event for years was the NAIA tournament. An $8 ticket got you a full afternoon of games. A fantastic spring hookie day away from classes...

ccarp 1 year ago

Thanks for the post, Jaybate. I've always appreciated the interest and energy you put into your posts. I have to admit that this was the first one I read all the way through as well. Thanks for going there. :-)

I've been working on ideas for film and your words ressonate with a script I'm writing. Just wanted to thank you for your inspiration, however unaware you were of it at the time of posting. I

've used a post of yours in the past in a logline of mine some time ago. The story is about a small mid western college town. Your post had some thing along the lines of, Lawrence; the place were one can laze around potters lake with no where to be and no one to care where you were.

Kind of a tangent from a tangent, but wanted to say thanks for posting. :-)

Andrew Horigan 1 year ago

I've never heard of this building but had to do some research after your post JayBate. Man... what an amazing looking building. The pictures of the inside look cool too, but wow, that is a beautiful building. I grew up in Wichita and never really made it up to KC unless for a Chiefs game so I never spent much time in the city, or know much about the history. If ever given a chance I'd love to go in there and spend some time in there.

jahawker2004 1 year ago

Love these posts more than any of your epic basketball posts!

I used to book events into old Municipal in the 1980s-90s, including circuses. I still remember the first time I was ever in the building (1972, Linda Ronstadt concert) and the countless basketball games and tournaments I attended in the old concrete barn.

Your lengthy and detailed architectural analysis was a little over my head but the Pendergast commentary wasn't. He made KC wide open, trendy and vibrant. A big league city. A destination. Corrupt as hell, but a great man nonetheless. Wish we had those days back when this town swaggered.

What you didn't mention was how fast Municipal was erected and why. But thanks for four freaking great posts and the memories they brought back!. My understanding is that the clock will still be there, btw.

stm62 1 year ago

As a young child I remember watching the BIG 8 PRE- season basketball tournament in OLD MUNICIPAL. GREAT FUN !!!

FearlessJayhawk 1 year ago

This schedule can only help us in the long run. I'm sure if CBS had it to do over again, he wouldn't change a thing. It's one thing to be a veteran team and another to be young and super talented. They should develop very quickly. I'm not worried.

REHawk 1 year ago

Right on! We could lose five of these pre-league contests, and I would not much worry about this team's development. What an opportunity for this talented young crew! Probably would not serve the program's best interest for them to race through these pitfalls undefeated. They are going to learn to compete against staggering odds.

nuleafjhawk 1 year ago

Great.

The toughest schedule in the country combined with a boatload of freshmen. I guess we all know what this means.

10 straight Conference Championships and probably at least a Final Four appearance.

Way to go Bill.......

texashawk10 1 year ago

Try and stay positive nuleaf, you're starting to sound as negative as some of the football posters.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

Great stuff JB, and most of us older people remember that there have been more NC games there than any other place in America.The acoustics really were much worse than bad, like jamming in a boxcar. But BB King, Loggins & Messina, The Jefferson Airplane, & yes, I remember even James Brown sounded PDG to us when you could still put juice in the car for less than 20 cents a gallon & gas wars were as common as fleas on a pup. I still vividly remember fleeing for life from the parking garage after a mini riot at a JB concert there in the mid 60's. Looked like it was raining whiskey bottles out of the balconies after a dance contest gone wrong & when popped caps in the ceiling. Weren't very many of us "white folks" in the place that night, and we sure didn't run like it either. Good friends of mine did the PA work for David Beatty at many gigs there in the 70's, as well as the old Pla-More on Main. Man, you've really conjured up the spirits again old timer, that's why I like this site. After reading & contemplating many of your posts for years, I'm coming to believe that your eloquence & creativity in journalism, and vast knowledge of the historical relevance of the Midwest just may have been cultivated at an antique cubicle for the old KC Star & Times. It's quite clear you have, as Mom used to say, "the gift of gab" & she herself was a literal walking thesaurus. Many who read these yarns will have no idea that there was a morning & evening copy every day. Maybe it just goes with the territory, but the older I get, the clearer my memories of "Gunfight at the OK Corral" in Panavision at the Uptown, "Blue Hawaii" in Technicolor at the Midland, & even breakfast at nasty old Fred Harvey's in Union Station when we took our physical for the Vietnam war across the street at the induction bldg one cold & rainy day in winter, and yes, paying your bus fare with little colorful plastic mill tokens. Also, if they do ever take down the clock, they just as well torch the place. Thanks for the memories.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] I am so glad you KC guys have this wonderful venue. In St.Louis, we had a similar Concrete Colossus called Kiel Auditorium. It too served as a venue for pro and college basketball, concerts, pro wrestling, Ice Capades, etc. The style was a combination of Art Deco, Egyptian and Ayrian Monumentalism. It was gloriously, over-the-top, magnificent.

2] Take a look at the hardest schedules list. Almost half of those listed have Kansas on their schedules!! I'd say that was quite a complement to the Jayhawks!!

3] My new favorite name for the class of 2015....DIAMOND STONE. He's a bit rough but he has a grasp of every facet of the game, with no fear in accepting a brilliant career that sparkles with excitement. He cuts hard to the basket but is sharp enough to engage the opponent, with a fake, like dangling a carrrot on front of a mule. Kansas would be the perfect setting for him to pursue a ring or two.

4] Tomorrow we win...it's that simple.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

We did the PA for Quicksilver Messenger Service at Kiel in the summer of 1970. Never had I even seen hardcore users & addicts until the after party at the downtown Holiday. Couldn't get outa there fast enough & back in the 58' Chevy headed back to Kansas. I liked music but never the lifestyles that were so common an involvement with it. That's pretty much what turned my direction.

mahkmood 1 year ago

KU's schedule is tough, but not that frightening. I'd like to see at least 1 of UK, UNC, Syracuse, Michigan State, Indiana, or Louisville on the schedule. Personally, I think the schedule is pretty weak for KU's talented team.

"...brutal road games (at Colorado)" Sorry, I disagree, Colorado has always been a source of KU routs, and will continue to be. Just because they've moved to the weak PAC and boosted their W-L record as a result, doesn't make a road game against them "brutal".

Hawk8086 1 year ago

Wow. You REALLY want a tough schedule. Duke and Florida aren't tough enough? Maybe "brutal" is a little strong for the CU game, but they are good, and I can see us losing that one.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year ago

mahkmood, you must not follow college basketball much.

If you think that KU's schedule is "pretty weak," how would you make it tougher? It is already is the toughest in the country. KU will have a lot of talent but most of it will be very inexperienced; ask Kentucky how all that inexperienced talent worked out for them last year...

Colorado is a pre-season top 25 team with former Jayhawk Tad Boyle doing a great job and a fan base getting into the act. The game at Colorado is going to be indeed a tough game.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Last week I said basically the same thing mahk.. I think they're all winnable, although we're not going to win them all. What makes it stand out is the lack of gimme games. Duke and Florida probably scare me the most and that's because of their coaches.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year ago

Sorry , but you don't know what you are talking about. I have been to quite a few of the KU vs CU games and they are rarely a blowout and frequently close.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Lets hope that this season the other 3 LJW journalists don't miss reporting on any of the games. Last year TK, Matt and Jesse didn't start posting pre game and end game stuff until midway thru the non con schedule, it seemed. Quite annoying too. This year they need to split it up. Leave 2 on Football and 2 on BBall. I don't much care which, just don't miss any BBall games!!! For cryin out loud!

bad_dog 1 year ago

I know what you mean lulu. Historically, there's a dearth of basketball coverage on this website...

REHawk 1 year ago

Lulu, I think that some of the missing articles can be attributed to the raggers who often attack Keegan's publications. I am of the feeling that he is tired of the same old harangues from LJW hoops posters.

PVJayhawk 1 year ago

Speaking of uniforms, which we are not, but did a few days ago:

Dr. Russel Hill and others have done research showing that red uniforms confer an advantage in sports because the players play better and referees are more kindly disposed toward them (and maybe their opponents are a bit intimidated) simply because of the color.

KU has red uniforms and I suggest they should be used more often, perhaps especially for the Duke and OSU games.

texashawk10 1 year ago

Go look at KU basketball's history of wearing their crimson uniforms in big games. It ain't pretty.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year ago

I am actually so glad that we have the toughest schedule, it will pay off in the long run!

personman 1 year ago

Ok guys. Who is jaybate? This has gone on long enough. He's the best writer on the whole site. Who IS THIS GUY? What's his connection to Kansas? What does he look like? Why is he not writing for Grantland? The experience of coming to kusports.com to read an article is infinitely enhanced by the anecdotes and poetry that jaybate spouts about. Show yourself "jay-meister-bate-vonn-heiman-slimen"..........

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

In 1985-86 KU opened with these four games: Pepperdine, Washington, Louisville, Duke (the two NCAA finalists that year were Lou and duke), then had non conf games with NCState, George Washington, Kentucky and Arkansas. LATech, Memphis and Wichita St rounded out the non-conf portion, except we had another game with Louisville in February. THAT was a tough schedule.

In our championship season of 88, Iowa, Illinois, St. Johns twice, NCState, Duke, Notre Dame, Memphis, Washington. THAT was a tough schedule.

My point is, teams don't schedule like they used to. Sure, ours is tougher now than anyone elses which I'm glad, but look at who we played back then!

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

I think we had a regular season home with Louisville, and also played them in the preseason NIT back when it was a pretty good tournament.

Tom Richmond 1 year ago

My dad first took me to Municipal Auditorium in 1946 for a NAIA national tournament game. For a 13 year-old it was an experience never to be forgotten. The building, the crowds, the cheering, the bands were all new to me. In 1947, the coach of Indiana State refused an invitation to take his team to the tournament because the NAIA did not allow African-American players. The following year the NAIA was the first organization to open their tournament to black athletes and the same coach brought, Clarence Walker, the first black athlete to play in the post season. By the way, they won. Oh, and the coach's name - John Wooden. The NAIA tournament was established by another familiar name - James Naismith. Speaking of "TJ" and concrete, remember his paving of Brush Creek started the upscale real estate development of the Country Club Plaza.

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

Jaybate is about 6'-4" tall, at a trim 260 with a full beard. He resembles that liquor commercial guy billed as the "world's most interesting man" only JB is much more interesting.

He has been an athlete as well as a highly successful business man but bleeds Crimson and Blue, JB has seen a lot of the world but will always be the first one to grab the check.

He and I ventured to meet the Dahli Lama who exclaimed when he saw us, "Who'se the guy with Jaybate?"

Posted with no malice...or any clue who he really is, but he knows his architecture so he is OKEE-DOKEE in my book!

Tony Bandle 1 year ago

PS Actually I kind of described myself minus the beard, being trim, the highly successful and the "most interesting man" parts. :)

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

He's really he great Carnac.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Man you guys are cracking me up!

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

What, exactly, does this have to do with KU having the toughest schedule?

Otis Gouty 1 year ago

Jaybate, you've stirred some memories about KC. I never missed a BB game at the Auditorium until I went in the service for Korea. So I missed the 52 NCAA, but I got to enroll at KU in the Spring of 53. While I enjoyed the college games I spent more time there going to high school games. My HS was never very good but we always had a good turnout to enjoy the games. The boy scouts also had many events at old Municipal. Beginning in grade school we went to the little theater for concerts and our HS graduation was also there.

I was brought up to seriously dislike Pendergast, but in retrospect I have to admire the many great things he did for the city. Not only the MA, but also the City Hall, the Courthouse and so much more. I got to know President Truman a little bit and appreciated him too.

Rock Chalk Jay, keep up the good work.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

Never Truman but I worked for Harry Darby.

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

Sadly, when the season starts, the mixture of bloggers will change as those of us who spend the time from April to September watching DVR'd replays of the Iowa State games, the Texas game where Tyler scores a jock shot, the K State games where Naadir and Perry introduce themselves to the world. Many of us still have the final MU game that caused ear drums to burst.

Practice starts in 2 weeks followed by Late Night. Then the most anticipated basketball seasons ever will begin.

Two things that Coach mentioned abut this team gives me an insight of what to expect. The first was his comment that he's never had more people fiercely attack the rim when a shot goes up and the other was that because of this schedule, he will not be able to try very many different combinations of players. So, enjoy the first two instate pre-season games if you want to watch all of the players getting a chance. Many of us were fooled, including myself last year when we watched Rio play defense in the first two games, never to see him again except to dribble the ball off his foot and then be taken out in 20 seconds.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

Yep I've still got the misery finale.

selfhimbill 1 year ago

Another little known fact is that Jaybate provides highly valued assistance and advice to our coaches, staff, players and fans. We all appreciate your support, Jaybate.

texashawk10 1 year ago

I always thought jb was White Owl.

Beate Williams 1 year ago

This is the best sesssion I have read in a while and the primary reason being that people are giving Jaybate his due and not criticizing him for his knowledge base and his desire to share that knowledge in plain English, without it being in "social code".

Vernon Riggs 1 year ago

The Kansas City ATTACK played one year in Municipal Auditorium before they moved indoor soccer back into Kemper. The Comets folded. The City already booked dates around the Kansas City BLADES home dates. The ATTACK that played in the Omni in Atlanta for two seasons before they moved the franchise to Kansas City, called Municipal Auditorium home for a year. I watched many games there.

jaybate 1 year ago

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." --Albert Schweitzer

My light is small. It has gone out many times. The game and those here have sparked me often. I have deep gratitude.

Rock Chalk!

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

POH-many times over. Once again, thanks JB.

Joe Joseph 1 year ago

Jesus Christ on a crutch I'm scared.

jaybate 1 year ago

Abraham, Moses, David, and Solomon on prosthetics, are you really now?

Mohammad on a metal peg, do you really feel fear?

Buddha on a bad wheel, get holda yerself!!!

Get ECUMENICAL, baby!!!