Thursday, September 12, 2013

KU-Rice telecast available locally … at bars

Kansas University football fans who are WOW! cable subscribers will have options outside their homes if they want to catch Saturday’s game against Rice.

CBS Sports Network, which will televise the 6:30 p.m. contest, currently is not available in Lawrence to WOW! customers, but because the station is available to those with DirecTV, many local bars will be carrying the game.

The following Lawrence bars confirmed to the Journal-World on Thursday they would be carrying Saturday’s KU-Rice game:

• Applebee’s (both locations)

• Buffalo Wild Wings

• Henry T’s

• Johnny’s Tavern West

• Saints Pub + Patio

• Set’em Up Jack’s

• Wayne and Larry’s

• West Coast Saloon

Comments

Dale Stringer 7 months ago

Anyone know Z's phone number so we can text him every 5 minutes to ask what the score is?

Pitthawk34 7 months ago

Well the Z's work sure pissed off a lot of people so far with this TV deal. Cant wait to see the response during basketball season when people are left out as well. May need the national guard. Way to go Z. The worst part of it all the LJW is not asking any questions...nothing. Thanks LJW.

John Liddell 7 months ago

IkePike, that is not the case with my Uverse300

kckuguy 7 months ago

This new TV package is suppose to be so good for KU, then KU should release the details of the new deal. How much is TWC paying KU for this package ? And compared to last year TV package, how much more is KU making ? Is ESPN3 blocking out the KC area somehow more profitable than letting the fans in KC watch the games like the rest of the country can ? TWC is doing well by the deal though. If 5000 people switch to TWC @ $100 a month, that is $6 million a year to TWC. I certainly hope KU is getting a big portion of that. There has to be a big payday for someone to counter isolating the fans. Why have a TV package that blacks out your biggest fan base ? 2 million people 20 miles away is no longer wanted ? It looks like the KC fans are being blackmailed in to subscribing to TWC. Why is KU in the middle of a cable war ? I know I have a lot more questions than KU is willing to answer. I have been told to be patient, in the end I will get more KU, not less. Since I was told that, I haven't been able to watch anything KU. This whole thing could be worse than the ticket scandal.

Triceec 7 months ago

It's channel 322 or 1322 on time Warner cable I had to order it for 8.99

Ralster Jayhawk 7 months, 1 week ago

What! No KU game at Salty Iguana?? Another "wow" moment...

Ralster Jayhawk 7 months, 1 week ago

One piece of fallout from this is almost comical: just watch people's posts on here after the game (win or lose), that also admit they didnt actually see the game...Now that would be a "wow" moment.

jgkojak 7 months, 1 week ago

So the tables are turned.

Those of us with U-Verse can see a game that Time-Warner/WOW people can't.

THIS DEAL IS RIDICULOUS. If you want to argue with me that limiting viewing of KU events to these different cable packages generates more money and audience for KU events, I'd like to see the numbers of paper.

sansherm 7 months, 1 week ago

HEY!!! All U Surewest subscribers I spoke with a person in the marketing dept in Sacramento,Ca. the other day and she told me that Surewest is in negotiations with Time Warner. I asked her if they will only carry the Jayhawk Network and she said that they would carry all of Metro Sports. We can only hope this works. All U Surewest customers please call and keep calling Surewest customer care and request the Jayhawk Network!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IkePikeHawk 7 months, 1 week ago

I have Uverse 300 and the guide showed the non subscriber icon for channels 643 and HD 1643. The Uverse rep told me it was part of my package. When I actually clicked on the channel, the programming was there. The icon was in error.

wats211 7 months, 1 week ago

sunflower cablevision...or whoever they are now are real cheapskates....they talk out of both sides of their mouth...it took years to get msnbc....i was on them for 5 years....as far as sports packaging....its all about the margins...not the customer...pathetic....because they all have directv at home...the ljworld empire is a very strange place and run in a very peculiar way...i used to work for dolph simons...its a head scratcher for sure...some of the logic used there....wow!

kckuguy 7 months, 1 week ago

This is progress ? KU gets a new TV deal and we can log on to KUSPORTS.COM and see which bar is televising the game ? Someone at KU needs to be fired. Are we going back to the 60's where we listen to the radio broadcast every Saturday ? KU blacks out their biggest market, K,C., absolutely brilliant.

Kevin Kelly 7 months, 1 week ago

I can't believe that, after the confrence realignment crap, that any fan that comes here dosn't understand how TV contracts work. Came real close to being involved in the CUSA TV contract negotiations but thankfully we don't have to wory about that.

No CUSA teams in Kansas yet. This is a good thing.

Kevin Kelly 7 months, 1 week ago

Its an away game at another confrence. So you don't get to say to your local cable company...why don't you cover Confrence USA sports because you know the answer.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 months, 1 week ago

LJW just help us out and post the links to the Internet streams of the games! Is there something wrong with that?

bigjaybabyjay 7 months, 1 week ago

10 years ago none of these early games would be televised PERIOD. Come on people. Any television is better than none. Quit griping.

741hawk 7 months, 1 week ago

Real Simple. Get a dish and get a sports package. (Don't understand people who tie themselves to cable. Pun intended.)

rrh 7 months, 1 week ago

Here in Topeka last week, I saw the entire game on Cox 22. This included all sorts of pre game and post game stories . Best KU coverage I have seen since I came to KS for KU law school in '69.

ttoulouse 7 months, 1 week ago

and a word of advice to DirecTV subscribers - call and complain about not getting Metro Sports Kansas City on a regular basis. The more the wheel squeaks the better chance we have of getting it added to the lineup

ttoulouse 7 months, 1 week ago

to my earlier point, I blame the university because they negotiated with channels that are available to everybody for the third tier rights. and I'm sorry but the state of Kansas and Kansas City area do not get to stream the game on watch ESPN like the rest of the country does. I'm glad I get the game this weekend but I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get the game last weekend

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 7 months, 1 week ago

Time Warner in Kansas City is carrying the game. They really do an excellent job of making KU football and basketball available.

iamakufan 7 months, 1 week ago

Really, really sad that so many of us loyal fans are left out of the TV broadcast picture, in Lawrence and Topeka and surrounding areas. How can KU let that happen?

The internet is not an option for all of us, especially those of us on limited data usage or limited bandwidth.

milehighhawk 7 months, 1 week ago

There's this thing called "the internet."

Everything is available and free.

clevelandjayhawker 7 months, 1 week ago

Time to win some damn games. Then maybe this wont be an issue. But then again the Royals are in a chase and you cant watch a weekend game anymore....

jhawkrulz 7 months, 1 week ago

So last week if you were Directv and other subscribers you didn't get it, this week if you aren't those you don't get it.

Basically you can watch every other game.

Nice job on the negotiating there.

W Keith Swinehart II 7 months, 1 week ago

Game is broadcast on DirecTv, CBSSN, ch. 221. Unfortunately, it's not in the basic programming package.

nuleafjhawk 7 months, 1 week ago

I'll be at the lake and listening on the radio. I think the bars are a great place for a lot of Jayhawk "fans" to watch the game. They can drink their sorrows away when they think we're going to lose, then they can celebrate with a drink when we win. Be sure and have a designated driver, folks. We need all of you around to celebrate future games.

Andy Tweedy 7 months, 1 week ago

That's ironic! All summer, I've been feeling like I would miss out on some games here in Omaha, but this one is on my TV and not on the TVs in Lawrence! LAME!!! (although good for me)

ttoulouse 7 months, 1 week ago

where was this information for those of us in the dark last week? I hope University sees what they've done here

Keith Richards 7 months, 1 week ago

643/1643HD on ATT U-Verse. I believe you have to be in the 450 package to get it.

hotrodm 7 months, 1 week ago

Drop WOW now. Wow claims to be your local cable company, wouldn't you think they would carry this game for the locals???

jahawker2004 7 months, 1 week ago

This channel is not available on my cable package. Will I be able to watch it on the internet?