Wednesday, September 11, 2013

KU’s Sims eager for shot at Rice after sitting out loss

A field goal from Rice kicker Chris Boswell sails over a pack of lunging Jayhawks to win the game for the Owls 25-24 on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

Last season, when Rice kicker Chris Boswell knocked a 45-yard field goal through the uprights as time expired to give the Owls a one-point victory over Kansas University, the Jayhawks’ best football player changed the channel.

Sidelined while serving the second leg of a three-game suspension for an offseason arrest, then-junior running back James Sims was not at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 8, 2012, when the Owls topped the Jayhawks, 25-24. Being there, and watching his teammates compete without him, was too difficult for Sims, who was given the choice by KU coach Charlie Weis to attend the game in street clothes or watch it on TV at home. He chose the latter. And he chose to watch by himself.

“I couldn’t really come up here and do that,” Sims recalled Wednesday, as the Jayhawks continued preparations for Saturday’s 6:30 p.m. rematch against Rice in Houston. “I already felt bad about the situation that I was in and I felt like it was just best if I sat at home and watched the game. Me not being out there, physically, would’ve hurt me.”

So instead of watching from the stands with the thousands of people who had become used to cheering for him, Sims laid low and watched from his couch in his apartment.

At first, Sims was encouraged. Although he cheered every first down and each defensive stop, he paid extra attention to Tony Pierson and Taylor Cox, the two backs who filled in for him. Although he enjoyed watching Pierson and Cox combine for 199 yards and a touchdown on 34 carries in his absence, there was a part of Sims that could not help but wonder how much he could have helped. If he had played, would the outcome have been different?

“It was pretty painful,” he said. “I was happy for (Cox and Pierson) but not happy about the outcome of the game. Knowing that you can’t be out there with your teammates due to a mistake you made is pretty hard to handle. I did what I had to do and I paid my dues and now I’m back and I’m just ready to go again.”

Up-tempo offense

With the rest of the Big 12 offenses playing at a breakneck pace, Weis decided to add the fast-break look to the Kansas offense and unveiled a tiny portion of it last week.

“We’ve been practicing trying to get the ball snapped in 15 seconds or less,” he said. “And it was multiple formations, too. We’ve been working on this quite some time and it was part of my thought methodology back in November and December when I said, ‘How am I gonna help the defense get better?’ Well, if I’m gonna practice it, we might as well put it in. They just thought I was doing it for the defense. But I’m selfish. I’m an offensive guy. You think I want to do all that work and not get anything out of it for the offense?”

KU-Rice connections

Four members of the Rice coaching staff either played or coached at KU during recent years, but Weis does not believe that the familiarity gives either side an advantage this weekend.

“Our defensive staff is very familiar with what they do on offense and vice versa,” he said. “(Rice offensive coordinator John) Reagan and (KU linebackers coach) Clint (Bowen) have been friends for a long time and worked together for a bunch of years. There’s not a bunch of surprises.”

Reagan coached KU’s offensive line from 2005-09, while Rice assistants Ryan Cantrell (offensive quality control), Adrian Mayes (offensive grad assistant) and AJ Steward (offensive grad assistant) all played offense for KU between 2005 and 2011.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd love to dog rice stadium but guess what...no track!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 1 month ago

They have a nice stadium, though a little odd that they cover the ends. Well, maybe not so odd considering how many fans they draw to games.

Hopefully, a strong Jayhawk contingent makes it to the game. It certainly would be nice to hear the chant like at CU games.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

The stadium capacity is larger than the total number of living and deceased alumni of Rice.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

Are you really making fun of their stadium?

I feel like they could film 70's high school football movies at Memorial.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Ahper wanted something to dog Rice Stadium about, so I gave him something. It has nothing to do with Memorial Stadium.

David A. Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

Hahahaha! That's some funny stuff right there.

Jack Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Rube, Rube, Rube ~ Do you ever have a "good" day? Lighten up, man.

Andy Hess 1 year, 1 month ago

Adrian Mayes is a defensive line coach, not an offensive grad assistant.

Matt Tait 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe he was at one time. I don't know. But according to page 14 of Rice's game notes this week, Mayes is an offensive graduate assistant.

Check it out, if you like...

Andy Hess 1 year, 1 month ago

Also, he's a close friend of my brother and mine. He's working as a grad assistant for the D-Line coach.

Matt Tait 1 year, 1 month ago

So, wait... We're both right?!?! LOL. Thanks for the heads up. You count on these schools to get their game notes right, ya know. Thanks again!

Andy Hess 1 year, 1 month ago

Haha! yea that's Rice for ya! but yes, we're both right. glad to help.

Adam McEwen 1 year, 1 month ago

from what I saw in the first game, these hawks have the tools, but they need some swagger. Show us some BALLS!! These guys are just lacking that whoop some ass mentality, go out there and get some fellas! Represent. Showing balls I mean metaphorically, not literally, we don't wanna see that...

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree, we do need that swag. That comes from confidence, and confidence comes from winning. When you watch teams like Alabama, Ohio St., Texas A&M, Oregon, and Stanford you notice the swag. They come out and know they're going to win games. I feel like our guys hesitate in certain situations and second guess their decision making abilities. There's nothing worse than second guessing yourself or not believing you can win. I think Weis should show them the documentary "Undefeated" before the game. It's a movie about some troubled high school kids that are used to losing, but the coach brings them together and they have a great season. So many things these kids go through during the season, but they played with swagger. Didn't matter how bad it got, or how much they were underdogs, they played to win the game. And it's not our guys' fault they don't have the swag, it's hard to have confidence when you're not winning. But we're undefeated right now, and if those kids in the documentary can overcome obstacles that I'm sure some of our players have had to overcome, then they can gain that confidence and earn the swagger. Let's go guys! See the win, play to win, and celebrate the win. RCJH!

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Rockchalk1978...these boys lack talent in the trenches...particularly on defense. It's gonna show this weekend. Hopefully our offense somehow out scores them.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

When did Rice - RICE - become such a powerhouse? The past few days I've got the feeling that Alabama is suiting up in RICE OWLS uniforms and is gonna put a big time hurt on us.

It's RICE. Breakfast cereal. If we can't beat these fellows, it's going to be a Looooooooooong season.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Rice isn't a powerhouse, and will likely see a significant drop off in win next year, but this year they have a a very experienced team (19 out of 22 starters returned) that won a lot of games at the end of the season including a bowl win. They are one of the favorites in C-USA this year and how KU plays against them on Saturday will give a lot of insight into how the rest of KU's season is likely to go. An impressive KU victory likely means a bowl game is a realistic possibility this year, a close game likely means 3-5 wins, and an impressive Rice win means another 1 win season is a realistic possibility. While I think Rice is a 9 or 10 win team this season, that doesn't mean they would compete in a major conference, it just means that they are at the peak of a cycle in a weak conference because of the number of experienced players they have back. They're a good measuring stick team for anybody because they execute their system well, and aren't going to beat themselves.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm sure VTech said the same thing about us when we went to the Orange Bowl. Don't discount coaching and maturity even when the talent isn't 4-5 star.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

See Texas, allowing 500 yards just on the ground to BYU last Saturday. They're going to get crushed by OU this week too.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, if we were playing Rice in the Orange Bowl, I'd probably be a little more concerned.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

First, Sims is a stud. Barring an injury will be playing on Sunday's soon. It is way, way too early to assume we don' t have enough talent in the "trenches" or on defense period and I will.proceed to tell you why. First, we got a lot of Juco talent this year, in addition to HS talent. Some came on campus early, some later. Coach Campo is still trying to A.) Get the whole defense to gel and be smooth. B.) Figure out what packages work and when.I say again and again the days of just one unit, the starting unit on defense are gone..let them go! As many plays as teams run now you have to be able to go two or three deep at each position. It takes time to figure out what units do best together and what packages work best. What you guys saw against SD was experimentation NOTHING more! The coaches were confident they could be SD so they shuffled their lineups a lot. Especially on defense. And got as many snaps for each player they could without risking victory. Who won again? Remind me. By 17 points! You guys make it sound like we won on a last second field goal. We won by 17. Once we got rolling we took care of business. And again, watch the tape(which is what coaches do, and your off field coaches). You will see a team trying to figure out what works, what doesn't against a lesser oppenent. Nothing more! That is why our first game was against SD, don't fool yourselves. Coach Weis and Coach Campo have a plan. Do we have the talent to hold up? I don't either, but unlike some on this blog am smart enough to know we don't know enough yet! But then I am sure those on this site ready to snap to judgement already, and have written the Jayhawks off already(real Jayhawk fans huh?) know way, way more than Coach Weis and Coach Campo despite their sixty plus combined years coaching at every level. Even the NFL. I am sure the naysayers here know way,way more than those coaches.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Crack kills. There is absolutely reason to be concerned. I don't see a lot of posts calling for Weis and staff to leave town. And there shouldn't be. Not this year or next year. Let him do what he came to do. But if you aren't concerned about the performance on Saturday, you're the fool. If you're right, and I hope you are, then great. But I highly doubt it was Weis's gameplan to only be SD by 17. Get a grip.

Sparko 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't know what game you watched, but KU looked good the last 45 min. 31-7 from that point with bad officiating to boot. This team will be fine. The first game in 2007 was similar actually.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

No it wasn't. The first game of 2007, KU beat the defending MAC champs (not a lower division team that won 1 game the year before) and would go on to win the MAC again in 2008 and dominated from the start of the game. KU was up 14-0 after the 1st quarter and 35-0 at halftime. That 2007 KU team would beat the 2013 KU team by 40+ points easily.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 1 month ago

Charlie didn't think it was a good read. I think his comment was that it was"full of factual inaccuracies. " Definitely not a ringing endorsement from Coach Weis.

Matt Tait 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah. I wouldn't read that and count on learning too much.

There are a number of factual issues that the guy got wrong — I counted more than a dozen — and he also attempted to pass off the article as if it came from some sort of sit-down with Weis. But that never happened.

He was in town and he did attend press conferences, but he never met Weis and most of the information in the piece — right and wrong — came from past articles written by people and media outlets whom he did not credit.

Nothing against the guy, but that's bad form.

Jack Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Agree ~ (a) Nothing of substance new; (b) Way, way too long of a piece; (c) a definite negative twist ~ however, I am delighted to know of the whiffle ball field location.~ have been stressing over that question for years.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 1 month ago

Inaccuracies? Faulty sources? Sounds like the writer of the grantland piece must work for Sports Illustrated.

Displayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Matt, Can you tell me please. Is the Spencer (Colin?) kid from Texas going to redshirt? I heard alot about him in pre-season, but not so much lately.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

Barring injuries to Bourbon and Pierson, he shirts.

Matt Tait 1 year, 1 month ago

They have not made any decisions about red-shirts yet and Weis said the other day that he usually goes a few games into the season before worrying about that kind of thing because you never know who you're going to need or when you're going to need them.

Reading between the lines, though, I'd be surprised if Spencer did not red-shirt this year and I think that's the best thing for him and the program. He's got some talent and you want him around as long as possible so he can have as many opportunities to showcase that talent.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

Yeah, I don’t really see the need to announce it ever. The way I understand it, (and please correct me if I’m wrong.) You don’t play him? He gets another year. He can suit up every game and be on the ready and if, God forbid, Pierson or Bourbon get hurt, you’ve got him there.

The position is flowing over anyway, and Bourbon is out of shirts. The moment I saw him supplant Spencer on the depth chart I figured that was the plan. Too bad, because I thought he could make a some big plays immediately.

I also think Weis could still change his mind on how he wants to use Spencer. Especially if we become needy at CB.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

Got a bad feeling about this quarterback and our defense.

Rice wins it 42-27.

Would love to be wrong, and I'll come on here and admit I was dead wrong if necessary. I think there's a high ceiling with this team, but KU does not win on the road....period.

The Rice QB is exactly the kind of QB that has dominated KU since...well....forever.

I don't care if there are only 400 Rice fans that show up, Mangino was the last coach that could actually get these guys to win on the road. And even his road record was pretty terrible.

Rock Chalk boys. Nothing fancy. Best chance you've got is to ride Sims and Pierson all the way through. Keep the ball as long as possible, and we might...might....have a shot.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

We need to get mean. The best way to get mean is to run over people. We just happen to have the guys who can do that.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

Oh, hey look everybody. It’s Reuben. He’s back.

What happened to “keep the faith”?

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Reuben is being realistic. We got screwed on our D-line this year which is gonna make for a long season. We went and recruited like crazy to revamp the D-line...luck has it...it didn't work out. Got to try to get some big nasties in again this year.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

thank you, sir.

And i'm still keeping the faith KG, but beware the Kool-Aid.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

I don’t drink the Royals Kool-Aid anymore, it’s 25 years old, but the KU Kool-Aid is still pretty fresh.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm with you, Reuben.

Jam it down their throat. The only thing I would add would be a play action every now and then on first down. Just to keep them honest.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Dude, you beat teams by exposing weaknesses and sometimes not playing into their strengths. We have not shown that we have receivers capable of dismantling a very good Rice secondary, which happens to be the best aspect of their defense. They are susceptable to the run....so run the dang ball. I don't think anyone is suggesting to not throw the football, but to scheme into a defense's strength isn't too intelligent either. A steady dose of running up the gut early will open up the passing game against Rice.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone know status of Kevin Short? Academic?

I posted this before but let's not forget that A&M benched 5 defensive starters the first half against Rice.

We should beat them

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Not a good sign that an offensive-minded coach is playing catch up to the rest of the B12 offenses.

But Weiss for five!

CrystalJones 1 year, 1 month ago

No worries. We have the best running backs in the country. That single element will carry us to some wins this year, including this week. Hawks win 38-17.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 1 month ago

I would be surprised if KU's defense can slow down Rice (hold to 17points) based on last weeks opponent. It was not a fluke how well Rice played against Texas A&M (even depleted A&M has a better defense than KU).

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

With James Sims in the game last year, we win that ballgame going away.

With him in this year's game, we exact revenge.

Kansas 31 Rice 17

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Thank God for the negative dudes on this site, who know exactly how bad were going to be after one game. Tell you what, call Coach Weis tell him what he is doing wrong. Its wondered we beat SD without you guys down there coaching. Thank God your here now to save us, tell us how bad the Jayhawks suck ...again after one game..how we should not bother etc...etc.. Nothing like true so-called Jayhawk fans. You guys should coach. You could give up berore the game starts

Jack Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Excellent observation ~ I was both amazed and greatly annoyed during last season, and the off season, at the number of coaching wannabes who had such incredible insight (and spot-on criticisms and advice) for such a novice coach as HC Weis.~ in his first season as our coach. I guess it's true what they say about the 'social media' ~ certainly brings out the "best' of us.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

There's a reason your not coaching naysayers. You would give up before the season starts.

actorman 1 year, 1 month ago

Clearly there's a reason you're not teaching English, KURiggins.

And guys, let's all try to do exactly as KURiggins says: since none of us is coaching at KU, clearly we have no right to ever criticize anything that coaching god Weis does at any time ... ever.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Great post crystaljones and jayhawkuntildeath. Nailed it with a positive outlook

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey Riggins and Jackdavid - you won't hear me criticize Coach Weis. I'm glad he's here. Unfortunately he inherited a lack of talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It's tough to win in the Big 12 when you have FCS talent in the trenches. Aren't you tired of watching opposing QBs get 10 seconds in the pocket ? Did anyone realize Chris Harris was so good...because I didn't. He got passed on all the time...because the D-line couldn't pressure a quarterback. This year is no different. It's really not about coaching...it's about not having the size, speed, quickness, athleticism, and overall talent on the D-line...and to a lesser extent...the O-line.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

So quit cheering for the Hawks, pick a different team since your ready to quit already. Me...I.am true Crimson and Blue forever. And again, your making a lot of assumptions based on one game. 10 seconds? What? The SD QB was running cause he had too. Campo was rotating players so we can go 2 deep. 10 seconds? I believe Ben Goodman had two sacks. We rotated a lot, a lot of different players and packages in. Football 101 ..experiment against lesser opponents, limit playcalls to the basic formations because you have limited downside your most likely going to beat SD. That is what Campo did. One game. Wow, one game and you already know everything. I bet you would say Peyton Manning sucks cause he did not throw 8 or 9 tds his first game. That is it I give up Manning sucks ..right?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

Just because someone needs to have their faith rewarded every now and then to keep it alive doesn't mean they're a bandwagon fan.

I have always and will always bleed crimson and blue.

The reason I complain so much is because I'm tired of the old "we just don't have the talent" rationality. Hate to bring it up, because we're beating a dead horse, but Mangino proved we can win in this league with mediocre talent.

I saw talent last year. I see it this year. But South Dakota was a team we should have dominated from start to finish. You can't blame people for making an assumption from a game in which we were extremely lackluster.

I'll watch and cheer every second of this game on Saturday. But if I had to put money on it, based on what I saw Saturday, I couldn't in good conscience bet on KU. WE DON"T WIN ON THE ROAD. Statistically, you cannot argue that.

Whether it's due to experience, talent, weather, or simply a loser's mentality, our squad has not mustered the courage and confidence to do what must be done. Us die-hards, who have been following KU football since we were kids, have seen a similar outcome most years.

But I'm here, everyday, on KUsports.com. Not necessarily to complain, but to rebuild my hope from the opinions of experts and the comments of fans.

I am begging; pleading; for them to prove my pessimism unmerited. But until they win, brother, that isn't going to happen.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Another thing. Campo may less talent in spots but he is a great coach and will.maximize what he has. 1st game he was feeling his DL LB DB out

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes 10 seconds. Have you not watched the previous 3-4 seasons ? It's the one position group that has brought this program down the most. And if you are paying attention...you would realize that we are playing the same personnel on the d-line that we had last year. McKinney is the exception...and he's not even a starter. We lost Williams and Richardson from last years team. The new JUCO transfers for various reasons...didn't pan out. We still have hope for Quel...but even he didn't play last week.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes I said 10 seconds. Have you not watched the previous 4 seasons of KU football...most notably the D-line ? It's easily a position group that has brought this program down the hardest. And if you've been paying attention...we're playing the same personnel that's been in the program for a while now. The only changes are McKinney...who doesn't start...and Stowers might be better coming off an injury from last season. Williams and Richardson are gone from last years team. We still have hope for Quel...but he didn't even play last week. The JUCO d-line revamp project didn't pan out...and it needed to. Bolton is hurt, Martin got in trouble, and Quel isn't playing yet. MJM at linebacker is a redshirt. So yeah...anyone that has followed this program over the past several years...can safely say that we have problems on our D-line. If the D-line hasn't been able to compete in the Big 12 since McClinton left...why would anything change this year with nearly the same personnel ? ? ?

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry for the repost....It didn't post the first attempt.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

So cheer for another team since youve written off the hawks

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

So cheer for another team since youve written off the hawks. Cant find how many knockdowns and hurries we posted in the SD game. But we had 2 sacks and their QB was 8 of 18. Which happens everytime a QB has 10 seconds right? He ran cause he had too. And dude we did rotate in lots of players. But go ahead ..be the def cood at ku. You can give up before the game starts. Oh and BTW..the only stat that matters..we won! JC we won by 17. Not by a FG. But your right we suck. Pick another team

doctordave77 1 year, 1 month ago

KU is going to win this game by at least a TD. I say that based on;

1 - Last year's loss by only 1 point. Yes, it was at home. But we had no passing or kicking game.

2 - Heaps is going to be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. He's a very accurate passer and his stats for the SD game are misleading as Coach Weis has said. Several drops in the 1st quarter but excessively pumped up receivers, plus a few throwaways.

3 - The receiving corps is much improved over last year.

4 - The running game is improved over last year too.

5 - The defense is improved substantially, and they didn't play all that poorly last year.

6 - Rice is the same team as last year.

KU wins 38-28.

Dave

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

A reply to your points

1 and 6- KU's passing game is still a mystery and Rice is returning most of the same players, but they are a year more experienced and physically developed than when they played last year. Do not discount the importance experience plays in how a team performs.

2- No he's not, he might get drafted but it won't be the first round. Even Drew Brees wasn't a 1st rounder and it's because of size. Brees and Wilson show short QB's can be successful, but NFL GM's will not draft a QB Heaps' size in the 1st round.

3- Other than McCay, no it's not.

4- Not by a significant enough margin to make a huge difference.

5- No it's not, 200 plus rushing yards to a crappy FCS team does not support that. The numbers also support that KU's defense was still very bad last year.

I'm not someone who is saying KU will get beat soundly like some, but KU isn't winning by double digits either unless it's a very late score to ice the game. This is a game that will be close the entire way and decided by less than a TD. I say that based on KU's recent history.

captku 1 year, 1 month ago

We have got to show some discipline. That will make the mind continue to believe that we can. That and some swag like others have stated. I'd be for some big-time B12 hitting. "Man, them guys from Kansas can crack some pads". Do it.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Heaps could be a first round pick if he does well enough at KU. Unless your a GM yourself, doubt it, guessing you have no real say where and when he gets drafted. We do have an elite running game. Dont believe me..check out where NFL scouts have Sims rated. He broke 1,000 last yr in just 9 games against Big 12 talent. And they knew we were going to run. Sims is an elite running back. And Pierson and Miller have NFL potential too..big time. BTW Cox and Bourbon arent half bad either. Rice is a great team but were good too. Should be a good game. If we play they way were capable of, we will be fine. Heaps, Sims, McKay, Pierson, Miller all have potential to play on Sundays. No matter what sideline coaches and gms on this site say. And since its the NFL.they want to.impress I doubt they care at all what you say

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm assuming you're responding to my post so name a 6-1 (Jake Heaps listed size) or shorter QB who was a first round draft pick?

2013: EJ Manuel (6-4)

2012: Andrew Luck (6-4), RG3 (6-2), Ryan Tannehill (6-4), Brandon Weeden (6-4)

2011: Cam Newton (6-5), Jake Locker (6-3), Blaine Gabbert (6-4), Christian Ponder (6-2)

2010: Sam Bradford (6-4), Tim Tebow (6-3)

2009: Matt Stafford (6-3), Josh Freeman (6-6)

2008: Matt Ryan (6-4), Joe Flacco (6-6)

2007: JaMarcus Russell (6-6), Brady Quinn (6-3)

2006: Vince Young (6-5), Matt Leinart (6-5), Jay Cutler (6-3)

2005: Alex Smith (6-4), Aaron Rodgers (6-2)

2004: Eli Manning (6-4), Philip Rivers (6-5), Ben Roethlisberger (6-5), JP Losman (6-2)

Michael Vick is the only 6-1 or shorter QB I can think of in the last 25 years or so that was drafted in the first round and Jake Heaps does not possess the tools that Vick has. I'm not dogging on Jake Heaps by saying he has no chance at getting drafted in the first round, that's just reality because no QB 6-1 or shorter gets drafted in the first round.

Also Rice is not a great team and KU is not a good team. Rice is in a situation this year of having one of the most experienced teams in the nation and plays in a weak conference. In the Big 12, they likely win 2-3 conference games at most. I would like to know in what world is KU a good team? You're also trying to put words in my mouth by as if I said KU's stable of backs isn't any good. Not even close to what I said. All I did was agree with the statement that KU's running game is improved over last year, but added that it's not improved enough to carry KU this year just like it wasn't good enough last year.

If Jake Heaps cares what I (or anyone else on here) think of him, KU has much larger issues to worry about within the football program. And if the reason you're using we to talk about the is because you're a current member of the football, this is the last website you should looking at. And if you're not a current member of the team, you are not part of we in reference to the team. In case you didn't realize it, message board sites like this are where people come to play armchair QB and if you don't like reading people who have a different viewpoint than yours who don't think everything is fine in KU football land, then I would highly suggest you find better ways to spend your downtime because you will not change my opinion on anything because my opinions are based on what the situation is, not what I would like it to be because I would love it to see KU be a top 5 team and national title contender every year like the basketball team is, but that's not reality. The reality is KU has the worst football program among schools in BCS conferences over the past few years and it will still be another 2-3 years minimum before that's not the case.

actorman 1 year, 1 month ago

Texashawk, I wish I could give you two "likes" for your post. I can't tell you how sick I am of sanctimonious imbeciles like KURiggins who equate being a fan of a team with never criticizing that team under any circumstances.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

As for me..thank you Heaps, McKay for choosing KU to transfer too. I am very glad your here and I am sure I am not alone. Thank you for coming back Miller

Dale Stringer 1 year, 1 month ago

Watching the TCU-TT game right now. We should be very happy with the way the Jayhawks played last Saturday compared to what these two are doing to the game of football. Every play longer than 12 yards is getting called back by some stupid penalty.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Texashawk10 I never said you weren't entitled to an opinion. I said your not a NFLGM ..might want to read what I said. I said since your not a GM you have no choice or input where Heaps or any other Jayhawk is drafted. I am not saying Heaps will be a first round pick I am saying I am not arrogant enough to assume where he will get picked. You I guess are..good for you. I still doubt NFL GMs need or want your input. As far as this message board goes your right when you say where all entitled to.our opinion. That includes me..and guess what ...you not changing mine either. I want KU to win NC in football, several in fact and I see real talent on this team. You clearly dont. We know where you stand you think KU does/and will suck this year. Right? Now I am NOT saying we will be Top 25 this year or that we will even beat Rice. The difference between you and I as far as I can tell is I am not prepared to write KU off this year. You are. Not real sure why you will bother watching the games if you think were going to suck. But if thats you prerogative ..then whatever. Having participated in/and watching football for many years I took the first game for what it is. We won by 17, Coaches are trying to figure what works and who gets to play when. But most of all ..what Ive learned is its just too early to know. Frankly I dont care about your opinions anymore than you do.mine im sure..still trying to figure out why you felt that was relevant. I am just offering rebuttals. Like you said its..a.message board

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

I.hope we get to see more D.Miller and B. Bourbon in the backfield to.spell Sims. Pierson seems to have found his niche as a flex ..like McCluster is with the Chiefs. Both Miller and Bourbon are lean, strong and fast.

KURiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Cox is good too. Quicker than he is fast but I love that he keeps his pad level low.