Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Darnell Jackson signs free agent deal with Indiana Pacers

Former Kansas University forward Darnell Jackson, during 2012 training camp with the Utah Jazz

Former Kansas University power forward Darnell Jackson has signed a free agent contract with the Indiana Pacers, the NBA team announced on Tuesday.

Terms were not disclosed.

It is believed the contract is not guaranteed, meaning the 27-year-old Jackson will need to make the team in preseason training camp.

The 6-foot-8, 240-pounder who played for KU’s 2008 NCAA title team, averaged 13.8 points and 6.7 rebounds a game last season for Reno (Nevada) of the NBA Developmental League. He has also played 138 games for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings with career averages of 2.2 points and 1.5 rebounds.

Jackson has also played for pro teams in Ukraine and China.

The Pacers on Tuesday also signed 6-5 guard/forward Ron Howard, who played for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBADL last season.

Adams to juco: Former KU guard Anrio Adams will play basketball for Odessa College in Texas this season, Adams told the Journal-World in a Facebook message on Tuesday. He was recently dismissed from Ohio University’s program after transferring from KU following his freshman campaign.

McLaughlin to decide today: Jordan McLaughlin, 5-11 senior point guard from Etiwanda (Calif.) High, will announce his college choice at 4 p.m., today, in a news conference at his high school. USC is believed to be the favorite over KU, UCLA and Indiana. He’s ranked No. 43 nationally by Rivals.com.

“Look for McLaughlin to pick Andy Enfield and the Trojans. If that happens, it will show that Enfield’s hire of assistant Tony Bland has paid immediate dividends,” wrote ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman.

“Indiana really never went hard after McLaughlin, Kansas is still waiting on Tyus Jones and UCLA appears to have prioritized Quentin Snider over McLaughlin. This would be a huge pickup for Enfield and Co., as they would have their backcourt of the future with McLaughlin and UNLV transfer Katin Reinhardt,” Goodman added.

Turner update: No. 6-rated Myles Turner, 6-11 senior from Trinity High in Euless, Texas, will conduct an in-home visit with KU coach Bill Self on Thursday, Rivals.com reports.

ESPN reports that he will hold in-home visits with coaches from Texas and Kentucky today. Duke will also be visiting Thursday. He will visit KU for Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 4.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 7 years, 1 month ago

Way to go DJ! I hope you make the Pacers roster and hit the floor running. You are one of my all time fave Jayhawks, for so many reasons. Heart as big as a house and solid gold!

Rock those Pacers some big-time Chalk!!

Dee Shaw 7 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Darnell. Always enjoyed watching Darnell play. Good luck in Indy.

hotrodm 7 years, 1 month ago

Wishing you the best in making the Pacers team, DJ. You have earned it.

Michael Pannacciulli 7 years, 1 month ago

I think Bill gets most of his kids wwithbthe in home visits...and seals the majority of the rest with Late Night. Often you hear how impressed the parents are with Bill and his coaches. Direct, fair, no b.s.

D-Jack...keeping the dream alive. That's always great to hear. I wonder what his post basketball plans are? He hopefully has time but I suspect these guys are thinking about what to do down the road.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Here's wishing all things good for D-Block. If any player deserves a break in this game, he stands right up there with the most deserving. Absorbed an unconscionable screwing from NCAA, in my humble opinion. Then the sad family travails. Bill Self's program and that '08 Championship appear to be very bright spots in his young adult life.

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

Couldn't agree more. D-Block is a guy that, because of the way he handled everything that came his way, you root extra hard for good things to come his way.

Dirtyphog 7 years, 1 month ago

To go from playing in happy days to directing Apollo 13, Ron's been everywhere.. And now basketball, impressive.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if his brother plays too. He was the serial killer in the Los Angeles Seinfeld double episode.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 1 month ago

"...the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBADL last season." Who picks these NBADL team names? Maybe it's a mental thing to motivate players to "develop" quickly so they can move up to the League to avoid being "Mad Ants" for long.

Jim Tebow 7 years, 1 month ago

Anthony Wayne, known as Mad Ant or Mad Anthony was the founder of the city of Fort Wayne. He was in the military..not really sure what he did, but I know that part of the story

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

Congrats DBlock from Midwest City, OK

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

"Kansas is still waiting on Tyus Jones." My first reaction was "Really? " The explanation on McLaughlin not picking Kansas is that we're waiting on Tyus Jones? The implication is that Self decided not to pursue McLaughlin, or even accept a commitment, because he would prefer Jones. Again, just assuming.

I then thought, "Is that the best approach?" Is it the best approach for KU to pass on the #43 guy on the off chance we get a top 10 guy who is a likely OAD? We are in the game on McLaughlin and have recruited him because Self has determined he's worth pursuing. A top 50 guy like this is perfect for Self and his program. Right?

But there is a good reason why Self may be waiting on Jones, and why he may have actually taken a pass on McLaughlin.

Self has Tharpe for 2014-15, and Mason. How much of an upgrade is McLaughlin? If we inked McLaughlin, he likely doesn't start in 2014-15, and then, is he better than Mason to be the backup? Or better than Frankamp if he emerges as a PG? Self can always pursue a top PG in the 2015 class. And he is.

The answer to question, "Why would Self pass on McLaughlin and wait on a guy (Jones) that might even be a long shot?"

Because he can.

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

HEM, Good points. I had been wondering the same myself. I would find it fascinating to know how these situations are handled by Self. We are, in theory, set at the point for awhile (assuming Mason is a good PG, or CF is). It would make sense to hold out for one of the top guys.

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

The points you bring up are why Jones will most likely not be in a Jayhawk uniform next year.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

Tyrus Jones will be playing for Duke but regardless..we don't need another short (relatively) PG.

The only guard we sign next year is 6'7 Kelly Oubre. A SG with Selden type talent.

Miles Turner is leaning heavily towards KU. I think he waits to see if Embiid leaves before any decision.

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

jhawk- I think Turner inks regardless of Embiid. Turner knows that Embiid plays this year and may jump. However, if Embiid stays one more year, it's a developmental year for Turner either way, with or without Embiid.

If these recruits will learn Self's history with recruits and 1-3 yr guys, they could make a much better decision. I think McLaughlin and Turner are in two totally different situations. Turner knows he plays and will start fairly quickly. If these bigs are patient, they develop and grow under 1-2 yr bigs with experience at the D1 level. You then come in your second year likely to get some significant pt and maybe start. So it's a win win for Turner whether Embiid stays or jumps.

I want to see who commits first between Turner and Okafor. I think we have a good shot at Okafor for the same reasons as Turner. I think we get Alexander, Turner or Okafor and Oubre, and not holding my breath for Jones or any pg at this point. We lose Wigs, Wesley, and maybe Selden and/or Embiid. We will have at least 2-3 and maybe 4 depending on Selden/Embiid. Ellis will likely stay, but he is a possibility if his draft status blows up this year. I say we lose Wigs, Selden and/or Embiid and possibly Ellis if we win NC. We will lose either Selden or Embiid if we make it to the championship game. IF we fail to win NC, One of them stays and Ellis stays too. Ellis may stay through his senior yr regardless of each yr's results.

I would die if Wigs shocked the world of bball and stayed one more year. It makes you wonder if they fail a NC, if Wigs stays. It may not be too far fetched with his winning nature. He surprised the world once with his college choice.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

I would like to think that you are correct in that Turner signs regardless. You have made a good case for that occurring but it's hard to read the mind of a very talented high school senior.

I would be surprised if we didn't sign Alexander and Oubre. They are both very versatile and have the talent to step in immediately. My only worry is that I don't want to emulate Kentucky.

Hem made a very good point about passing up the #43 ranked player for a possible OAD. Self has done very well with these types of players.

One game away from the final four with Morningstar (unrated), Tyrel Reed #109, Tyshawn Taylor #77, Markief Morris #49 and Marcus #32

Personally, I think that far out shines Trey Burke and his miracle shot.

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

HEM- It appears this kid is high on USC. It seems they have recruited him really hard. They seem to need him more than KU. We've all discussed starting pgs, bench pgs, and future needs. This kid is not going to sit for 2-3 yrs, only to watch Tharpe for a year, Mason/CF for 2-3 years, and maybe get a chance his last 1 or maybe 2 yrs to play. He will likely start from day one and start through his last senior game at USC. He's all about the pt, not anything else.

I read your first paragraph the same way. I thought, hmm, maybe we have a chance with Jones. But then I read where McLaughlin is a big USC lean. Then again, your third little post, "But there is a good reason..." and thought maybe Self knows more than we realize.

I totally agree with your fourth paragraph as I stated above. Perfect ending to your post, "because he can." LOL

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey, hey, hey....... big props to Rio. Isn't it every college player's dream to leave KU for Odessa College ?

Joe Ross 7 years, 1 month ago

Talk about a fall from grace, huh?! From the number 1 program in the country, down about 500 or so to an obscure community college somewhere amongst the tumbleweeds in west Texas. I shouldn't be too hard on Odessa, on second thought. I mean after all, it IS the county seat of Ector County.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

I mentioned this before in a prior post .. being "humbled" may be exactly what Adams needs. He has his entire future in front of him. He does have the talent. There is no reason why he can't spend a year in Odessa community college, prove he has his head on straight, get good grades, and transfer to a D-I west coast school (where he wants to be).

Joe Ross 7 years, 1 month ago

...or he may just be a knucklehead (if we're talking possibilities).

7 years, 1 month ago

After seeing the way he handled himself in the handshake line with Coach Williams after the UNC game last year, this seems like a viable possibility...

Ted Hume 7 years, 1 month ago

Like he said we he announced his intention to transfer, he wants to be playing closer to home. oh, wait....

Joe Baker 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow, from KU, NC contender, to Odessa College. Hey, props to Rio for doing what is needed to get things done.

Evan Bilyeu 7 years, 1 month ago

I would agree, I would rather have Mclaughlin than Jones. We could have him longer and we don't need a point guard right now so he woul be a great get.

Woody Cragg 7 years, 1 month ago

Self has quite oft been maligned as not getting the so called right guys for his teams, but with the results he achieves with the likes of, lets say, his 2011 squad, we should all be content that he won't soon be on Who Do You Think You Are?, and is certainly not a descendant of Old Mother Hubbard. I'm far more concerned about him heading to the L than who he lands with the LOI. JMO.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

And having all four of them on the team at the same time is a good thing?

wrwlumpy 7 years, 1 month ago

Voted number one regular season play. Darnell steals, spin move then scores against Yale.

johnsont1 7 years, 1 month ago

Odessa is actually a very good fit. They are one of the best junior colleges for bball in the nation.. and the city of Odessa is a good college town (about 100k people).

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Ok, Mr Mayor of Odessa - things must have picked up wonderfully in the last 26 years. When I left Houston in 1987, the metropolis known as Midland/Odessa, Tx was also known as the armpit of the Southwest. (no offense to armpits)

Actually, it is known as the " Jackrabbit roping capital of Texas ". Look it up.

That's really about all that anyone needs to know about Odessa, Tx.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

drgn, thanks for the article.

I had mad love for Ol Roy when he was a Jayhawk. I hated his guts with everything I have when he left for Traitorville, NC. But the dude can coach. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an idiot. And he's still really a great guy (yes, I'm over it now.....mostly). I never, ever root for North Carolina, but I still like Roy Williams as a person and as a coach.

Evan Bilyeu 7 years, 1 month ago

Does Mclaughlin commit at 4 kansas time?

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 1 month ago

A better fit all around. Don't think I saw a single reference to Kansas.

Hawk8086 7 years, 1 month ago

With all of the comments about Okafor being a possiblity........isn't he serious about a package deal with Jones? If we don't get Jones...........we don't get Okafor?

KGphoto 7 years, 1 month ago

Great picture of Darnell. Every time I read something about him hanging on in the league it makes me smile.

Joshua Hann 7 years, 1 month ago

Love DJack. I've lived in Indy most of my life and the Pacers are my NBA team....with that being said, unfortunately he will not make this roster. They made moves in the offseason to strengthen their bench, especially this position. I don't see him beating out Luis Scola who backs up David West. Hopefully he can develop a bit more practicing against them and turn some heads in the preseason and make an active roster.

Teejay Roden 7 years, 1 month ago

Jones and Okafor are going to either Duke or UK. KU will have best shot at Alexander (b/c of the gf) Turner and Oubre. I don't see Embiid being ready a year from now but we will have to see what develops. Wiggins and Selden both OAD. Perry stays for 3rd year I think