Monday, September 9, 2013

Trio of Jayhawk freshmen projected atop NBA Draft

Blue Team forward Andrew Wiggins gets airborne for a dunk against Red Team center Cole Aldrich during a scrimmage before the basketball campers on Wednesday, June, 19, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

Kansas University freshmen Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden were included in ESPN.com analyst Chad Ford’s first mock NBA Draft of the 2013-14 school year, which was released on Monday.

Wiggins, 6-foot-8, 200 pounds from Thornhill, Ontario, was projected as No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft; Embiid, 7-foot, 250 from Cameroon, No. 10; and Selden, 6-5, 230 from Roxbury, Mass., No. 19.

The draft is nine months away, on June 26 in New York. No second-round picks were included.

“Wiggins is one of the best prospects to come into the draft in a decade. He has NBA size, elite athletic ability and does just about everything well,” Ford wrote Monday.

Of Embiid, Ford said: “Rick Pitino (Louisville) has said he believes Embiid will be the No. 2 pick. That might be a bit generous considering how raw Embiid is and the teams likely to be selecting at the top of the draft. However, if Embiid does blow up, he won’t be around at No. 10.”

And of Selden, Ford wrote: “A month ago, he wasn’t on our initial Big Board. That prompted a number of calls from NBA scouts who had fallen in love with him this summer based on reports coming out of Lawrence and his play at Adidas Nations. He wasn’t carrying this buzz out of high school, but the mood has definitely changed. A small number of scouts are convinced he could be a top 10 pick. Others are equally convinced he’ll be a lethal scorer in college, but he’ll struggle to translate his game to the next level. He could end up being one of the most polarizing players of this draft. It’s rare to see scouts so divided so early in the process.”

Kentucky is represented in Ford’s mock draft by Julius Randle at No. 2, Andrew Harrison No. 7, Willie Cauley-Stein No. 12, Alex Poythress No. 22, James Young No. 24, Aaron Harrison No. 25 and Dakari Johnson No. 27.

Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart is No. 3 and Baylor’s Isaiah Austin No. 20.

For Ford’s NBA mock draft, click here.

Jersey talk?: KU freshman Wiggins modeled a 2013-14 KU jersey and shorts last week in a GQ Magazine photo shoot, which was captured by Kansas Athletics on its Instagram account. Yahoo.com’s Jeff Eisenberg on Monday commented on some KU fans’ complaints about shoulder stripes at the top of the jersey.

“The grousing is no surprise since most fan bases tend to be resistant to change, but the complaints over the shoulder stripe have merit. That’s a pretty big departure for a prestigious program whose jerseys have been altered now and again over the years but have seldom went through such a drastic makeover,” Eisenberg wrote.

To view Instagram video of Wiggins in the new jersey, click here.

No. 3 Johnson entertains coaches: Stanley Johnson, a 6-6 senior small forward from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., will hold an in-home visit with KU coach Bill Self on Thursday, Rivals.com reports. The country’s No. 3-rated player in the Class of 2014 visited with Arizona coaches Monday, will visit with USC and Florida today and Kentucky a week from Friday. Oregon and UCLA are also on the list of Johnson, who will sign in the spring.

In-homes aplenty: Self will visit the parents of No. 7-rated Rashad Vaughn (6-5, Findlay Prep High, Henderson, Nev.) in Vaughn’s home state of Minnesota on Wednesday, Rivals.com reports. Baylor coaches visited Monday, while North Carolina will visit Saturday. He’s also considering Iowa State, UNLV, Minnesota, Arizona, UConn, Georgetown, Kentucky and UCLA. Vaughn, who will sign in the spring, has set up visits to North Carolina (Sept. 27) and Baylor (Oct. 18). KU is also expected to visit No. 5 Tyus Jones (6-1 Apple Valley, Minn. High) Wednesday, Rivals.com indicated. KU’s coaches were to visit No. 9 Justise Winslow (6-6 Houston St. John) and the family of No. 12 Kelly Oubre (6-7 Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nev.) on Monday in Texas as well as No. 1 Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young) and No. 4 Cliff Alexander (6-8 Chicago Curie, No. 4) today.

Comments

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

If this is turns out to be true, then Kansas has the top recruiting class in the country. Just play hungry and bring home the Championship.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 1 month ago

If you read a bit farther you might have noted he has Kentucky with 7 going in the first round.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 1 month ago

With 5 of those coming from this years recruiting class

hawk316 1 year, 1 month ago

I have mixed feelings. If we lose those three in the draft that means they were awfully good and so was our team. That's obviously a good thing.

But speaking somewhat selfishly, to have these three for just one year would be a disappointment. I want to watch them grow and develop in the KU program (granted, barring injury, etc, Wiggins is probably gone).

The more "one-and-done" players we have on our roster, the more frustrating it becomes for us "old school" fans.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm as "old school" as the come [I keep my cellphone in my car's glove compartment], but I can see the handwriting on the wall. Unless the rules change, to stay elite your school will have to "meet, greet, it's been sweet" top OAD recruits that highlight a multi-yeat player core.

hawk316..I think the bigger frustration would be if we don't keep pace with the changes and fall from the elite class!!!!

tdscpa 1 year, 1 month ago

"I'm as "old school" as the come [I keep my cellphone in my car's glove compartment]..."

That's not old school. I have never had one of them sell fones. I'm old skool.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

Agree hawk316 but if there is a silver lining, we have a strong inside track on three top 12 recruits in 2014. Alexander, Kelly Oubre and either Jahlil Okafor or Myles Turner.

OakvilleJHawk knows that this is the new path to hanging NCAA banners in AFH. I suspect that we will always have a solid core team with players such as Greene, Connor, Andrew White, Perry Ellis etc. I think that this is where HCBS excels more than any other coach.

Self will need to deal with egos and other issues that can destroy even the best teams. I still want to cling to the possibility of only losing one or two players to the draft but maybe those days are over until the NCAA gets rid of the one and done rule.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 1 month ago

I don' think that Embiid will live up to the hype of being number 2 ranked good. That doesn't mean he won't do well but I think he will stay for a second year. He is raw and is probably going to want to develop his game more.

Kurt Eskilson 1 year, 1 month ago

And yet … if Embiid drops too far in the draft projections, what might that say about KU's program? The best outcome would be if he is still seen as a high draft prospect after the season, but he chooses to stay and develop his game.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

If Wiggens and Selden live up to the hype, it would say Embiid needed more time to develop..that's it.

BringBackMark 1 year, 1 month ago

So true, especially in a sport where its sudden death in the tournament. One bad game and the OAD's are gone (e.g. Michigan). This rule has got to be changed. We're one of the top programs at bringing these kids in now. That may not always be the case and we'll be extremely frustrated if we're on the outside looking in.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting these kids go to the NBA out of high school. If anyone has the ability (in their mind) to be successful and make a great living out of high school they should be given that opportunity. However, once they've committed to a school (and that school has invested in them) there should be at least a minimum 3 year commitment, preferably 4.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

What type of investment? Time? Effort? New Corvette : )

Benz Junque 1 year, 1 month ago

Are we seriously going to whine over JERSEYS, KU fans? Good grief.

I can understand griping about ridiculous camo shorts, but a three inch stripe that is barely even noticable? Complaining for the sake of complaining just makes KU fans look like crotchety old sticks-in-the-mud.

Roll with it people.

Brak 1 year, 1 month ago

Well then it's a good thing you took the high ground

Dan Cook 1 year, 1 month ago

Always a solid plan to resort to name calling to make your point...

I have no problem with the jerseys as long as they win in them. They're miles ahead of the camo, IMO.

TheBoHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Coach, they look awful. He's right, they look generic. At least the camo shorts had some novelty to them. Jerseys are important in KU lore, if you aren't familiar with, you know, KU lore. We have a history of being superstitious about jerseys...i.e. the fact that we went DECADES without wearing the Crimson colored jerseys because we lost an important game in them... Roll..with...that, bud. The jerseys are bad.

Robin Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

The jerseys look good. Try to keep up.

John Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

Before trying to keep up, it's better to check which direction things are headed. That jersey isn't terrible – it would be fine for some new college just starting a program, or a lack-luster program hoping for a spark.

It sure as hell doesn't belong at Kansas.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm not sure why people don't like the jersey. It looks pretty cool to me. The "stripes" on the shoulders aren't bad at all and the shorts are pretty sweet. I think it is cool that Adidas is finally giving KU some options on the jerseys. The new football uniform combinations are sweet. We can wear a different combination almost every game. Some traditional, some modern looking. Why would that be a bad thing for KU basketball?

On the same topic, we don't even know if the jersey he is wearing is actually what KU will wear this year or if it was a sample Adidas gave KU when Wiggins signed. Maybe there are several different styles they have to choose from and somone decided to give him that one for the photo shoot.

At the very least, this isn't something to get upset about. At least until they wear it in a game or KU says this is the new uniform.

John Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

""wear a different combination almost every game""

Don't forget to change shoes each time, too. It would just be too tacky to have the same height heels twice in a row.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm guessing at least 85% of us know this is all marketing and that they will change again in a few years.

These unis will become classics if we hang another title banner in AFH.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

Ask five people at random what they think of KU's new uniforms and expect five completely different opinions...if they even had one.

I remember plenty of complaints on the font used in previous uniforms. As long as Kansas is winning the uniform changes are very low on my list of concerns.

Not to discount others who have stronger opinions, I just don't feel that strongly either way.

Phoggy_Notion 1 year, 1 month ago

couldn't agree more. Can only imagine how ugly the away jerseys will look. just a sloppy looking combo; hasn't been this bad since 06'

Steve Corder 1 year, 1 month ago

Thank you! I was praying for an article before September 15th about the NBA mock draft! So, who are the top prospects in the high school class of 2017? I just gotta know!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

The jersey doesn't bother me, and the shorts are kind of cool. It's all a subjective matter of taste.

We have such a great mascot, it would be cool if they could do something more with the mighty Jayhawk!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

I can live with the home jerseys, but I don't think the Blues with the white shoulders is going to fly.

John Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

Things are going great in AFH, so let's real quick find something, anything, to change!

When you start job-hunting, be sure to stop by the White House – they like the way you think!

Adam Tyler 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm diggin wiggins in the new uni's as well.

Nick Cole 1 year, 1 month ago

I wish we would go back to a more classic jersey for basketball and let football go crazy with their unis, like what Indiana is doing. That said, I don't mind the new basketball duds. Players like to get new unis every year so if it helps bring in top recruits then so-be-it.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

I guess 'classic' is age relevant. Let's dig up Naismith's era unis, short shorts and all.

hotrodm 1 year, 1 month ago

The new uniforms need more crimson on them. Ku colors are crimson and blue by the way.

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

If Embiid and Selden don't improve their projected draft status by spring, we might stand a decent chance of seeing them in a Kansas uni come Year 2. Those two and Ellis would put us right back in the talk for a national title, April 2015. Flipside, if they stay at #s 10 and 19 this spring, we probably haven't reached the Final Game, 2014.

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

We have no idea what Embiid will play like. He may be an athletic big without ANY skills. We will have to wait and see...

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 1 month ago

Well that was a little over exaggerating, we have seen him play, he has blocked Randle a couple times and he has range. Not a lot of centers have range...

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

Not sure I agree Brock. There must have been some reason for his rapid climb in the rankings. I am glad we added Tarik to the team. The added experience plus a proven commodity bodes well for Kansas.

jhawk613 1 year, 1 month ago

rapid climb = potential.

nba drafts on potential. Exhibit A: Kwame Brown

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

True jhawk613. But college coaches recruit on talent. They usually have only so many schollys and a 3-4 yr project isn't a priority.

Get rid of the one and done rule and coaches would be more willing to take that type of chance.

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Kentucky projections look awesome. However, they had best avoid the NIT.

Eric Bernauer 1 year, 1 month ago

I think last year for Kentucky was just a fluke. KU has lost in the first round post season before too, and I expect Kentucky with their heralded freshman to go much further into the NIT this year, they may even make it to the championship.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 1 month ago

The big difference is KU played well enough during the regular season to get to the NCAA Tournament and then lost in the first round. Kentucky played like crap all season and didn't make the cut. And then lost in the first round of the consolation tournament. Big difference there.

ryandonnelly 1 year, 1 month ago

Waymilky is taking a jab at Kentucky. I agree, I think they are the early season favorites to win the NIT championship.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas lost in the first round? I would have sworn they lost to Michigan playing to get to the elite eight.......................

jhawk613 1 year, 1 month ago

i know it's tough but if you read closely he said "ku HAS lost in the first round POST SEASON BEFORE"

when you omit words you change meaning. Nowhere did waymilky say KU lost in the first round last year.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

waymilky -- Remind me when "KU has lost in the first round post season before too"?

Please confine your response to this century.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry HEM, 2005 to Bucknell and 2006 to Bradley...not nearly as bad as losing in the first round of the NIT to Bobby Mo.

Robert Robinson 1 year, 1 month ago

Am I the only one that finds your sense of humor in this post? Haha! Im with you, im sure they at least win 1, maybe 2 NIT games this year

Eric Bernauer 1 year, 1 month ago

Thank you. The whole point was they couldn't even win in the NIT last year. I really hope UK does better this year and wins 2-3 games in the NIT this year.

I guess HEM doesn't remember Bucknell and Bradley. He is blessed.

ParisHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

More comments about the uniforms than about the guys in them: interesting.

Generally speaking, I say declare for the draft after one year only if you are a lock for the lottery. Otherwise there is too much uncertainty; besides,you should expect to move up the following year. Sure, there can be exceptions based on special circumstances.

In Embiid's case, he might want to stay even if he is a lottery lock: if he continues to improve rapidly, he might be a potential #1 down the road.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the unis, and I really like the potential these kids must have shown to get grouped at the top of this ever so early mock draft. What I don't like is mock drafts!

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 1 month ago

I was ecpecting much worse than that uni. I was picturing the addidas stripes on the shoulders. The Jayhawk maybe on the back bear the neck...who knows. Just want to see these dudes play!

This is the second mock draft article I have seen on KUsports. Is this all Chad Ford does in the summer? I need his job. Paid for guesswork.

Bill - lets lock up a few of these boys - at least two by the day after late night would be awesome.

Hawk8086 1 year, 1 month ago

It's great to see that we are in on all of the top players, but they all are consideirng many schools. At least Kentucky can't take them all. It appears that many will wait until the spring to see who goes and who stays. Embiid and Selden's status in the draft will no doubt influence our chance of getting some of these guys. It would be nice if we could get 1 or even 2 in the early period regardless of whether our guys go early. Probably won't happen, though.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Honestly, I only know of TWO who are pretty much locks to wait until the Spring - Turner & R. Vaughn. I think J. Okafor & Jones were wanting to declare in the Fall. I suspect a lot of others too.

Hawk8086 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks.I don't know if that is good or bad for us, but I'm glad......hopefully we get 1 or 2.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

I expect several top players to wait until after the season ends to decide where they will go. If we lose Wiggins and Selden (and we will) we will sign Alexander and Kelly Oubre. Both of these are heavy leans toward Kansas.

If Embiid also goes then I think we get either Okafor or Turner. Not sure of this site's track record: http://247sports.com/ but 81% writers polled picked Alexander to go with the Jayhawks.

Both Turner and and Oubre had predictions at 100% to be in Lawrence. That could be one heck of a jinx.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 1 month ago

UGH it is so frustrating, I want our players to stay but then again I want new players to come! I would rather them stay so that we have more experience Experience>Talent

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

I wish the 2002 KU team or the 2012 team proved that out. Both teams more experienced, both teams lost.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 1 month ago

I think this past draft changed my outlook on mock drafts....BMac and Noel were suppose to go 1 &2.....that didn't happen

Wiggins is a 4 year guy, why cant Chad Ford understand that?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

YUKYUK..I saw what you did there!!!!! :)

racerx 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm REALLY looking forward to 9 months of articles speculating on the NBA draft and if Jayhawks will or won't go, where they might go in the draft, whether their stock is rising or falling week to week or day to day. If you have a hole on a page to fill or you're too lazy to write a real story that involves more than speculation and rumors, go ahead and watch ESPN or read a sports blog and regurgitate whatever they write! Because we can never have too many NBA draft stories with no substance or news value.

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

The Big 12 needs better players all around. I predict that The Mayor lands the above-mentioned Vaughn.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Oklahoma State already landed Jared Terrell from this Class of '14 at least.

Brian Conrad 1 year, 1 month ago

Okie State may loose recruits after the big smear today. seems they WILL be on probation as the paying players is moving from just football towards basketball.. talk is $25,000 plus to many players NCAA will hit them hard the more this story unwinds...

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

The uniforms are just ok, nothing special... Adidas could certainly keep some tradition yet make a sweet looking uniform. Adidas sort of hides the Jayhawk here by making it small and up under the waist. I agree with another post; these look a little walmart-ish. -- Wonder if the red unis will have blue shoulders...

I think they should mimic the 88' jerseys they wore recently, those were top notch IMO.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 1 month ago

The new unis are awesome. Embrace change!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm going to refrain from making any uniform comments, but what I will say won't be popular. I'm more stressed about this upcoming basketball season than I've been in several years.

In my opinion, Bill Self is hands down the best coach in the country when in comes to taking relative "nobodies" ( granted a "nobody" at KU could start just about anywhere else ) and turning them into GREAT team players. I don't believe he is the best coach at taking GREAT talent and molding them into a cohesive team.

I'm not a troll, not a hater, I'm just trying to be realistic. I know that most everyone on this site has unbelievable expectations and I hope that we're not disappointed. I'm probably wrong, I hope I am.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

There are still relative "nobodies" who could play a large part on this team....Heck, JUST LOOK AT PG. I think Tharpe was ~ 130's and Mason was like in the 80's.

Andrew White III COULD very well be the first SG/SF off the bench & he was somewhere in the mid-60's to 80's depending on the publications coming out.

Traylor could be a key post-reserve and was somewhere in like the 70's I think.

They may not be THE key contributors but they still have significant roles and we'll go nowhere without them.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

Finally the troll in you has been exposed, I've been looking for a chink in your armor, disguising all your disgusting trollness in little witty statements. No true KU fan would ever say anything negative about Bill Self, about KU basketball in general, and even about the university as a whole. Go back under your bridge troll! :)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

i don't particularly like the whole STATE this time of year either!! I don't like hot and windy - that's why I moved away from Texas. The girls were hot and the guys were windy.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

nuleaf -- Respectfully, do you not think that Self took great talent in 2008 and molded them into a cohesive team? Every player in the 2008 rotation was top 50 except Darnell Jackson, right?

I would argue that Self is best with top talent. Evidence bears that out. It's his most talented team, and his only title. The OAD chink in the armor is just Selby .. and that was a weird situation.

That does not diminish that he can take lower ranked guys and make them into a great team, too, as you point out.

And khuff .. You have Tharpe and Traylor flipped around on their rankings. Tharpe was 80s, Traylor 130s.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

HEM, my respectful reply to your sensible comment is this: The 2007/2008 team was indeed loaded with talent. I don't believe, however, that they were anywhere near as heralded as this particular team - before the season even started. Some of them played themselves into "stardom". Certainly no talk of a #1, #10 and #19 NBA draft pick from the same team. And none of these three have ever played a single minute of college ball.

What prompted my " nobodies " comment (and I meant no disrespect) was the 2011/2012 team that got very close to winning the National Championship with no real " superstars ". Sure, Thomas Robinson was very highly regarded, but his supporting cast (before the season, now) was very " iffy ". I remember before this season began that many posters were already lamenting what a tough season this could be.

I just wonder if Coach can get this many blue-chip players enough playing time to keep them all happy and still keep the team in rhythm. We've all seen it before. The team just loses it's flow when he has to substitute every 3 or 4 minutes.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Ah .. see he won't play a big rotation. Some think he will, but my thought is he doesn't. Maybe early .. 11 guys. By January, 9. By February 8 + a less than 10 minute per game guy.

He will leave guys on the bench. Good players. He's done it before. And there's not as many "blue-chippers" as it might seem. Embiid -- yep, he plays. Selden, Wiggins -- both play. It's the next level where guys are at risk -- Frankamp, Greene, and White. Ellis, in that range, will play. And lower still, outside the top 50 -- Mason, Traylor, Lucas, Tharpe. Not blue chippers. Transfer Black is his own animal, and will play. But not a blue-chipper.

I think the bigger risk is that a transfer is provoked among the next tier guys, or outside the top 50 guys.

Joe Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

If the tier guys are patient, they will play. It will be a matter of controlling their pride. I've thought the 10-11 rotation early and then he's going to narrow down to the 8 in the stretch. It's the Self System.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 1 month ago

How do we know you're not a troll? I mean, you are on here all the time spreading love for the 'Hawks and well thought out, whimsical comments. For some time, I've thought of you as one of my favorite posters on this board, a calm voice of reason in times of great madness (or ahperse comments)! I mean, what a great way to infiltrate the board as a troll! Come across a die hard Jayhawk fan!!! I mean, seriously, if the devil were to come to earth in human form, would he really be a scary red guy with horns and forked tongue. NO WAY! I argue he'd look more like Brad Pitt or Channing Tatum...or maybe even Kate Beckinsale! I SAY TROLL!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, I've had my wife fooled for 34 1/2 years and you guys for 2 1/2. I'll take that !!

EMAW EMAW EMAW EMAW !!!

(man - it's hard to put that on there, even as a joke) I think I need to go take a shower. And probably go to church.......

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

If any of you guys want to " Suggest removal " of that above post, you won't hurt my feelings.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 1 month ago

The new unis are so trill I can't wait to see them is alternate crimson. This recruiting class is perfect, we are the best ever and I love all of you.

Joe Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

Who cares what the unis look like? Let their play speak rather than a stupid uni. Let's move on to the next worthy topic. Unis are the last thing I'm worried about.

I'd like a progress article on each of the players leading up to Late Night. Those bits and pieces about certain players with the most consistency sounds good, but I want to hear more about the players progress. There may be a good reason why they're not focusing much on the players right now? If not, bring it...

bad_dog 1 year, 1 month ago

"There may be a good reason why they're not focusing much on the players right now..."

Two words: Jayhawk football.

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

Comments about the uni's are in response to the latest news happening, which at the time of this article was NEW UNIFORMS. Feel free to worry about the play of this year's team as it's not even here yet.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope that we get Selden and Embiid back next year... But more and more it's looking unlikely.

Also, I like the new jersey's, but don't care for the "belt buckle" on the shorts.

RawkChawkJayDoc 1 year, 1 month ago

New unis leave a lot to be desired. It may seem trivial to some, but it is important for a player to feel they look cool. Just ask anyone whose played for the Mighty Ducks...

I hope they ditch them.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely the worst sports uniform of all time. I'm sure wissoxfan83 would agree:

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, I thought of that! Was just reading about the Great Bill Veeck's creativity and this of course was featured. As a diehard Sox fan I'm proud of the shorts gimmick. If we can't be known for championships, then shorts and disco demolition will be our hallmark!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

These are pretty bad...but then, it's KState.

Retros

Retros by JayHawkFanToo

Originals

Originals by JayHawkFanToo

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Their nasty faded out, sweat stained grey uniforms are pretty nasty too.

Even for K-State.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Actually, the K-State SI cover is pretty sweet. And I love Rolando's Converse All-Stars. Best basketball shoes ever.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

"Actually, the K-State SI cover is pretty sweet."

If I'm on troll probation, this may qualify for a life sentence...... lol

Alex Laughlin 1 year, 1 month ago

Those two-tone purple uniforms. Going back in time to try and find a win.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

I’ve seen some bad uniform lists, but that takes the taco. Several of them are LOL. A couple are RFLMAO.

Brak 1 year, 1 month ago

So then why does everyone that comments here seem to hate the camo unis that were worn at the B12 tourney last year, but yet by all accounts most of the players themselves actually liked them and many formers players went out and bought them because they thought they were cool.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

If they donned yellow vertically striped socks a la Pittsburg’s retro unis and blue polka dotted pants with wavy horizontal red stripes on the jersey, and the players thought they were cool, would you?

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and then. Maybe it will help keep some of these guys in Lawrence if every time one of them makes a nice play in a game that 5 people in the live update of the game don't type NBA or whatever everyone typed. We want these guys in Lawrence. We want a dynasty, we want back to back to back NC's. We want to go on a UCLA run of titles. We want to rewrite the record books. Stop hinting to these guys that they're going pro. There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and then. I'm selfish, I don't care about our guys going to the NBA. I want to see KU playing on the real Big Monday, the first Monday in April every year!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

I see the death penalty for OSU Football. I wonder how it will affect the league and OSU Basketball? T Boone wanted too much too fast.

Joe Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

I really hate to say it, but I'm afraid you're right. My in-laws are all OSU grads and many people I work with in the medical community are OSU grads. It's not good. They are trying to put a positive spin on this, but the NCAA is going to lower the boom. I think even OU fans are afraid too and they aren't even under the gun. It's not what happened, but that it happened for 11 years. Geesh! What does a coach need to smell the green floating around the program. Your players are sporting things that aren't consistent with most athletes.

It's a sad day to be an OSU fan and grad right now.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

As long as the NCAA has been dragging their feet with Miami, I don't see anything more than probation and a 1 or 2 year bowl ban coming OSU's way. Pickens has reportedly said that if this is true, that he will pull funding from OSU athletics and that would be the much bigger deal for OSU to deal with.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 1 month ago

Not worried about who leaves or goes, but if all 3 leave we still have a very good team next year.

We could have this starting line up: SF Greene PF Ellis C Lucas or Mickelson SG White PG Tharpe

Obviously Greene and White may switch and we can get a big time wing player come in. Lets be happy to see these guys and enjoy this year. Either way Self doesn't leave the cupboard bare.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Gosh..maybe we ought to go retro, you know, like the old Chip Hilton Sports Series uni's with the sleeved tops and the short shorts and the high top Chuck Taylor black or white tennies!!!

Now that's looking sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Am I the only guy in America who knows who Chip Hilton was??? Am I that old?????

bad_dog 1 year, 1 month ago

Was Chip in an early video with Paris?

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

Oakville, I'm your age but I only remember Chuck Taylor.

I actually played basketball in fourth grade with a ball that had laces.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 1 month ago

Oak, lumpy, no matter the age, shoe or uni, life keeps moving on and change is bound to happen whether we like it or not. The only thing ill tease about is I'm aware of Chuck Taylor's from old pics my Dad showed me. So far, I liked the football unis this season, but its only one game.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

The Converse salesman showed up at the gym one day with a pair of Vernon Vanoy's 16 quad E Chuck T's. Shame they didn't make him play better.

JJHawq 1 year, 1 month ago

I plan to show up at a few of Stanley's home games with my three kids in full Jayhawk gear.

I have a Clippers Danny Manning jersey to show him as well!!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

I believe that Larry Brown started the whole alternate uni trend with the infamous Mustard Yellow uniforms. I hope that they put those up in the new hall of fame - I really want to see them up close!

John Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

Larry Brown took over a team that could benefit from being jolted out of twelve or fifteen years of mediocrity. He may even have been warning players about acting like 'hot dogs.'

Hawk8086 1 year, 1 month ago

OK. Finally got home where I could see the uniform. Not bad. I don't get too excited about uniforms. The best thing about this uniform....Andrew Wiggins is wearing it. Now that's exciting!

Return_of_the_Mack 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, it's nice that our major issue is uniforms. The difficult part is getting the guys to put IN the uniforms, and our staff has done a great job of that.

I kinda like the look, and yeah, it's especially nice that Wiggins will be wearing one.

mikehawk 1 year, 1 month ago

The KU football team can only dream of this much chatter about recruits and uniforms. I love tradition, but how many of us wear the same clothes every day? I like variety and new colors in my wardrobe, yet within the confines of a classic look. Why can't that happen with uniforms? I'd rather be old school about Allen Fieldhouse and man to man defense, and class on and off of the court. Uniforms...let's have some fun.

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

ADIDAS: Just stick with some clean, plain, classic uni's with an old school font... nothing flashy, that way the sweet play of the jayhawks can shine through without silly jersey designs distracting.