Monday, September 9, 2013

Trio of Jayhawk freshmen projected atop NBA Draft

Blue Team forward Andrew Wiggins gets airborne for a dunk against Red Team center Cole Aldrich during a scrimmage before the basketball campers on Wednesday, June, 19, 2013 at the Horejsi Center.

Kansas University freshmen Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden were included in ESPN.com analyst Chad Ford’s first mock NBA Draft of the 2013-14 school year, which was released on Monday.

Wiggins, 6-foot-8, 200 pounds from Thornhill, Ontario, was projected as No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft; Embiid, 7-foot, 250 from Cameroon, No. 10; and Selden, 6-5, 230 from Roxbury, Mass., No. 19.

The draft is nine months away, on June 26 in New York. No second-round picks were included.

“Wiggins is one of the best prospects to come into the draft in a decade. He has NBA size, elite athletic ability and does just about everything well,” Ford wrote Monday.

Of Embiid, Ford said: “Rick Pitino (Louisville) has said he believes Embiid will be the No. 2 pick. That might be a bit generous considering how raw Embiid is and the teams likely to be selecting at the top of the draft. However, if Embiid does blow up, he won’t be around at No. 10.”

And of Selden, Ford wrote: “A month ago, he wasn’t on our initial Big Board. That prompted a number of calls from NBA scouts who had fallen in love with him this summer based on reports coming out of Lawrence and his play at Adidas Nations. He wasn’t carrying this buzz out of high school, but the mood has definitely changed. A small number of scouts are convinced he could be a top 10 pick. Others are equally convinced he’ll be a lethal scorer in college, but he’ll struggle to translate his game to the next level. He could end up being one of the most polarizing players of this draft. It’s rare to see scouts so divided so early in the process.”

Kentucky is represented in Ford’s mock draft by Julius Randle at No. 2, Andrew Harrison No. 7, Willie Cauley-Stein No. 12, Alex Poythress No. 22, James Young No. 24, Aaron Harrison No. 25 and Dakari Johnson No. 27.

Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart is No. 3 and Baylor’s Isaiah Austin No. 20.

For Ford’s NBA mock draft, click here.

Jersey talk?: KU freshman Wiggins modeled a 2013-14 KU jersey and shorts last week in a GQ Magazine photo shoot, which was captured by Kansas Athletics on its Instagram account. Yahoo.com’s Jeff Eisenberg on Monday commented on some KU fans’ complaints about shoulder stripes at the top of the jersey.

“The grousing is no surprise since most fan bases tend to be resistant to change, but the complaints over the shoulder stripe have merit. That’s a pretty big departure for a prestigious program whose jerseys have been altered now and again over the years but have seldom went through such a drastic makeover,” Eisenberg wrote.

To view Instagram video of Wiggins in the new jersey, click here.

No. 3 Johnson entertains coaches: Stanley Johnson, a 6-6 senior small forward from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., will hold an in-home visit with KU coach Bill Self on Thursday, Rivals.com reports. The country’s No. 3-rated player in the Class of 2014 visited with Arizona coaches Monday, will visit with USC and Florida today and Kentucky a week from Friday. Oregon and UCLA are also on the list of Johnson, who will sign in the spring.

In-homes aplenty: Self will visit the parents of No. 7-rated Rashad Vaughn (6-5, Findlay Prep High, Henderson, Nev.) in Vaughn’s home state of Minnesota on Wednesday, Rivals.com reports. Baylor coaches visited Monday, while North Carolina will visit Saturday. He’s also considering Iowa State, UNLV, Minnesota, Arizona, UConn, Georgetown, Kentucky and UCLA. Vaughn, who will sign in the spring, has set up visits to North Carolina (Sept. 27) and Baylor (Oct. 18). KU is also expected to visit No. 5 Tyus Jones (6-1 Apple Valley, Minn. High) Wednesday, Rivals.com indicated. KU’s coaches were to visit No. 9 Justise Winslow (6-6 Houston St. John) and the family of No. 12 Kelly Oubre (6-7 Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nev.) on Monday in Texas as well as No. 1 Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young) and No. 4 Cliff Alexander (6-8 Chicago Curie, No. 4) today.

Comments

MinorThreat 7 months, 1 week ago

ADIDAS: Just stick with some clean, plain, classic uni's with an old school font... nothing flashy, that way the sweet play of the jayhawks can shine through without silly jersey designs distracting.

mikehawk 7 months, 1 week ago

The KU football team can only dream of this much chatter about recruits and uniforms. I love tradition, but how many of us wear the same clothes every day? I like variety and new colors in my wardrobe, yet within the confines of a classic look. Why can't that happen with uniforms? I'd rather be old school about Allen Fieldhouse and man to man defense, and class on and off of the court. Uniforms...let's have some fun.

Return_of_the_Mack 7 months, 1 week ago

Well, it's nice that our major issue is uniforms. The difficult part is getting the guys to put IN the uniforms, and our staff has done a great job of that.

I kinda like the look, and yeah, it's especially nice that Wiggins will be wearing one.

Hawk8086 7 months, 1 week ago

OK. Finally got home where I could see the uniform. Not bad. I don't get too excited about uniforms. The best thing about this uniform....Andrew Wiggins is wearing it. Now that's exciting!

Brett McCabe 7 months, 1 week ago

I believe that Larry Brown started the whole alternate uni trend with the infamous Mustard Yellow uniforms. I hope that they put those up in the new hall of fame - I really want to see them up close!

JJHawq 7 months, 1 week ago

I plan to show up at a few of Stanley's home games with my three kids in full Jayhawk gear.

I have a Clippers Danny Manning jersey to show him as well!!

William Blake 7 months, 1 week ago

I vote we put some kind of camo in our uniforms from here on out.

I've been watching tv shows on preppers night and day and I'm convinced at any second our power grid is going down and we'll all have to fend for ourselves. With camo in our uniforms, our team is "prepper ready!"

My second suggestion is we bury 2-million gallons of water and 500 tons of saltines under AFH in case the world collapses during a home game.

Question: If our players get conceal and carry permits, are they allowed to strap on weapons during games? If so, it may improve refereeing for us.

wrwlumpy 7 months, 1 week ago

Oakville, I'm your age but I only remember Chuck Taylor.

I actually played basketball in fourth grade with a ball that had laces.

Tony Bandle 7 months, 1 week ago

Gosh..maybe we ought to go retro, you know, like the old Chip Hilton Sports Series uni's with the sleeved tops and the short shorts and the high top Chuck Taylor black or white tennies!!!

Now that's looking sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Am I the only guy in America who knows who Chip Hilton was??? Am I that old?????

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 1 week ago

Not worried about who leaves or goes, but if all 3 leave we still have a very good team next year.

We could have this starting line up: SF Greene PF Ellis C Lucas or Mickelson SG White PG Tharpe

Obviously Greene and White may switch and we can get a big time wing player come in. Lets be happy to see these guys and enjoy this year. Either way Self doesn't leave the cupboard bare.

wrwlumpy 7 months, 1 week ago

I see the death penalty for OSU Football. I wonder how it will affect the league and OSU Basketball? T Boone wanted too much too fast.

Steve Gantz 7 months, 1 week ago

There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and then. Maybe it will help keep some of these guys in Lawrence if every time one of them makes a nice play in a game that 5 people in the live update of the game don't type NBA or whatever everyone typed. We want these guys in Lawrence. We want a dynasty, we want back to back to back NC's. We want to go on a UCLA run of titles. We want to rewrite the record books. Stop hinting to these guys that they're going pro. There's a lot of basketball to be played between now and then. I'm selfish, I don't care about our guys going to the NBA. I want to see KU playing on the real Big Monday, the first Monday in April every year!

RawkChawkJayDoc 7 months, 1 week ago

New unis leave a lot to be desired. It may seem trivial to some, but it is important for a player to feel they look cool. Just ask anyone whose played for the Mighty Ducks...

I hope they ditch them.

Jonathan Allison 7 months, 1 week ago

I hope that we get Selden and Embiid back next year... But more and more it's looking unlikely.

Also, I like the new jersey's, but don't care for the "belt buckle" on the shorts.

Joe Baker 7 months, 1 week ago

Who cares what the unis look like? Let their play speak rather than a stupid uni. Let's move on to the next worthy topic. Unis are the last thing I'm worried about.

I'd like a progress article on each of the players leading up to Late Night. Those bits and pieces about certain players with the most consistency sounds good, but I want to hear more about the players progress. There may be a good reason why they're not focusing much on the players right now? If not, bring it...

Ian Emerson 7 months, 1 week ago

The new unis are so trill I can't wait to see them is alternate crimson. This recruiting class is perfect, we are the best ever and I love all of you.

nuleafjhawk 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm going to refrain from making any uniform comments, but what I will say won't be popular. I'm more stressed about this upcoming basketball season than I've been in several years.

In my opinion, Bill Self is hands down the best coach in the country when in comes to taking relative "nobodies" ( granted a "nobody" at KU could start just about anywhere else ) and turning them into GREAT team players. I don't believe he is the best coach at taking GREAT talent and molding them into a cohesive team.

I'm not a troll, not a hater, I'm just trying to be realistic. I know that most everyone on this site has unbelievable expectations and I hope that we're not disappointed. I'm probably wrong, I hope I am.

joeloveshawks 7 months, 1 week ago

The new unis are awesome. Embrace change!

MinorThreat 7 months, 1 week ago

The uniforms are just ok, nothing special... Adidas could certainly keep some tradition yet make a sweet looking uniform. Adidas sort of hides the Jayhawk here by making it small and up under the waist. I agree with another post; these look a little walmart-ish. -- Wonder if the red unis will have blue shoulders...

I think they should mimic the 88' jerseys they wore recently, those were top notch IMO.

Robert Brock 7 months, 1 week ago

The Big 12 needs better players all around. I predict that The Mayor lands the above-mentioned Vaughn.

racerx 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm REALLY looking forward to 9 months of articles speculating on the NBA draft and if Jayhawks will or won't go, where they might go in the draft, whether their stock is rising or falling week to week or day to day. If you have a hole on a page to fill or you're too lazy to write a real story that involves more than speculation and rumors, go ahead and watch ESPN or read a sports blog and regurgitate whatever they write! Because we can never have too many NBA draft stories with no substance or news value.

clevelandjayhawker 7 months, 1 week ago

I think this past draft changed my outlook on mock drafts....BMac and Noel were suppose to go 1 &2.....that didn't happen

Wiggins is a 4 year guy, why cant Chad Ford understand that?

Hawk8086 7 months, 1 week ago

It's great to see that we are in on all of the top players, but they all are consideirng many schools. At least Kentucky can't take them all. It appears that many will wait until the spring to see who goes and who stays. Embiid and Selden's status in the draft will no doubt influence our chance of getting some of these guys. It would be nice if we could get 1 or even 2 in the early period regardless of whether our guys go early. Probably won't happen, though.

Michael Pannacciulli 7 months, 1 week ago

I was ecpecting much worse than that uni. I was picturing the addidas stripes on the shoulders. The Jayhawk maybe on the back bear the neck...who knows. Just want to see these dudes play!

This is the second mock draft article I have seen on KUsports. Is this all Chad Ford does in the summer? I need his job. Paid for guesswork.

Bill - lets lock up a few of these boys - at least two by the day after late night would be awesome.

Andy Tweedy 7 months, 1 week ago

I like the unis, and I really like the potential these kids must have shown to get grouped at the top of this ever so early mock draft. What I don't like is mock drafts!

ParisHawk 7 months, 1 week ago

More comments about the uniforms than about the guys in them: interesting.

Generally speaking, I say declare for the draft after one year only if you are a lock for the lottery. Otherwise there is too much uncertainty; besides,you should expect to move up the following year. Sure, there can be exceptions based on special circumstances.

In Embiid's case, he might want to stay even if he is a lottery lock: if he continues to improve rapidly, he might be a potential #1 down the road.

REHawk 7 months, 1 week ago

Kentucky projections look awesome. However, they had best avoid the NIT.

REHawk 7 months, 1 week ago

If Embiid and Selden don't improve their projected draft status by spring, we might stand a decent chance of seeing them in a Kansas uni come Year 2. Those two and Ellis would put us right back in the talk for a national title, April 2015. Flipside, if they stay at #s 10 and 19 this spring, we probably haven't reached the Final Game, 2014.

hotrodm 7 months, 1 week ago

The new uniforms need more crimson on them. Ku colors are crimson and blue by the way.

Nick Cole 7 months, 1 week ago

I wish we would go back to a more classic jersey for basketball and let football go crazy with their unis, like what Indiana is doing. That said, I don't mind the new basketball duds. Players like to get new unis every year so if it helps bring in top recruits then so-be-it.

Michael Sillman 7 months, 1 week ago

I think the uni looks pretty sharp.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 1 week ago

The jersey doesn't bother me, and the shorts are kind of cool. It's all a subjective matter of taste.

We have such a great mascot, it would be cool if they could do something more with the mighty Jayhawk!

Steve Corder 7 months, 1 week ago

Thank you! I was praying for an article before September 15th about the NBA mock draft! So, who are the top prospects in the high school class of 2017? I just gotta know!

Adam Gerval 7 months, 1 week ago

Ya this new jersey really is bad. It looks like a cheap knock-off you'd get at Walmart.

jayhawkintx1973 7 months, 1 week ago

If this is turns out to be true, then Kansas has the top recruiting class in the country. Just play hungry and bring home the Championship.