Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Offensive lineman Pearce Slater hasn’t returned to KU

A close-up of KU offensive lineman Pearce Slater at Saturday's practice. Photo courtesy of Jeff Jacobsen, Kansas Athletics.

Kansas offensive lineman Pearce Slater still has not returned to Kansas University, KU coach Charlie Weis announced at his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

"He's not here. I'll talk about the guys that are here," Weis said. "That's the end of my comment."

Weis also released his team's depth chart for Week 1, which included quite a few changes.

Among them: Cassius Sendish, who previously was listed as the starting nickel, was moved to the starter at free safety; Victor Simmons was moved up to the starter at nickel; Marquel Combs was moved from the backup at left end/tackle to second team at nose tackle; Kevin Young moved from nose tackle to left end/tackle and is now a starter; Samson Faifili jumped above Jake Love at Will linebacker; Zach Fondal moved up to starter at right tackle; and Taylor Cox (kickoff returner) and Connor Embree (punt returner) earned first-team nods on special teams.

Comments

Dickless Head 7 months, 2 weeks ago

This guy is a good, strong, black Christian man. That we let him go is INEXCUSABLE,

Frankly, I am considering selling my season tickets. One of the BIG reasons I bought the season package this year was to watch this young man play football. The fact that he is not only gone but at a different school burns my back side hole so much...I can't even tell you. There are no words to describe how upset and angry I am.

I DEMAND that the KU Sports newspaper reporters and writers keep asking Weis why this young man is going. If he doesn't want to see season ticket holders sell their tickets to K-State fans by the MILLIONS (which I WILL do), he better do some explaining and NOW, dad gummit!

Dennis Marshall 7 months, 2 weeks ago

So does that mean KU can't block him from going to any other college in 2014, like the sooners

kugrad93 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Junior college guys are a crapshoot. Mangino signed 13 juco transfers in his second recruiting class at KU, and six of them were gone by second semester of their first year. Some of the guys who stayed weren't very good.

eastcoasthawk 7 months, 2 weeks ago

This is not news to many of us closely following the Jayhawks.

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 2 weeks ago

With Sendish I figured it was only a matter of time until he's at safety and that is now vastly improved. I never saw Young as an NT so this is a good thing that he's in his position he's suited for. As fas as Combs, lets see him play and go from there. Having depth and someone that can contribute is still better than what we had. Good luck whatever happens to Slater because maybe he needs to be near home right now. Quite a few a juco guys have come in and upgraded spots on this team so we are better in 2013 than we were in 2012.

We bring in guys and hope for the best. Now, with the hand we've been dealt lets see how the season plays out. Saturday is quickly approaching and the new season is upon us. Rock Chalk!

Janet Scott 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I suggest we change the child's game of "Where's Waldo?" to "Where's Pearce?". Last I heard he was in Omaha looking for the Golden Gate Bridge, thinking he was in San Francisco.

James Naismith 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Slater is back at his JUCO. The 2013 roster was released.

71 Pearce Slater OL 6'7" 340 SO Taft Hawthorne CA

Dale Stringer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Combs is going to see plenty of game time. The nickle with its three-man line is going to wear down anyone playing Nose. He's going to be double teamed or even triple teamed on everyplay. Look like Coach Campo is planning a three-man rotation to keep from running out of juice in the 4th quarter.

kooky 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Linton at S was the only spot on defense I was worried about. Now that Sendish is there, I feel really good about our D.

texashawk10 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Don't underestimate how much missing spring practice impacted Combs' development along with all the other summer and fall arrivals. Those guys are a full offseason behind in terms of strength and conditioning and they won't be fully caught up until sometime during season or next offeseason. The smaller physical positions like DB, RB, or WR don't usually need the same amount of time as a linemen to get into game shape.

rastameta 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Combs is backing up Stowers, who had the best camp of all the DL, and maybe all of the defense. It isn't a bad thing. Stowers has really improved.

Jim Jackson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

However, having the same 3 guys on the Dline that were there last year, does concern me.

Jim Jackson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sendish moving to FS is good; that is his natural position. Simmons moving to nickel is also a postivie sign. He is extremely fast and is built to stop the run at 6'2 220

KanFan27 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I think people are making too much of a deal about Combs not being a starter. I think he will be the first guy off the bench and make a nice impact. I also think the guy ahead of him earned it. Stowers was hurt last year and we never got to see his true potential and heard nothing but good things all spring and fall camp. He is a work horse and a lead on this team in more ways than one. Combs probably just needs time to adjust to this level of play and will come off the bench while he does. In the mean time we should be happy that we have a guy like Stowers. I look at it as a good thing to see a guy with the talent that Combs has coming off the bench. All that says to me is that we have some damn good depth.

rockchalk_dpu 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The important thing to remember is that as Tait said numerous times, Slater was not supposed to come in and immediately lead the OLine. He would have been someone that played in the 2nd unit and worked up to a starter in the next season or two (he would have had 4 years to play 3 if I remember correctly). This is not a guy that the fate of our season rested on, so while it is disappointing that he isn't here as part of the team, it doesn't spell doom for us like most posters on other articles would have us believe. Like Weis, I'd like to focus on the guys that are actually here to play and win games for us.

Kyle Sybesma 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the 5 helmets were released didn't I hear that new uniforms will be coming too?

KGphoto 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Lot’s of interesting moves on the depth chart. I wonder if Sendish to FS is a result of Simmons being a better fit for what they want from that position. Size. It’s not a traditional NB position because it’s the base defense. At 220 pounds, Simmons is going to be an enforcer underneath and a stud against the run. Basically a hybrid LB/SS.

Now that I see this I think it was the original plan for our base defense, even before the MJM injury. I think MJM would’ve been manning the NB slot if he was healthy, and if he earned it, of course. Even if they called him an OLB, he’d have most of the same duties.

Chris Bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Is anyone else worried that combs isn't starting? That means one of last year's guys is the starter. I was expecting him to dominate. This is not good news. Nor is Sendius moving spots. That means we were weak there. Hope they figure this out!

Jason Keller 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Alert the president immediately.

Brett McCabe 7 months, 3 weeks ago

This probably means no redshirt for Taylor. Love watching this guy play and I hope they can find ways to get him the ball.

Though this is only the first-week depth chart, there is a lot of good news for 2014. An incredibly high number of listed starters will be back next year.