Monday, September 2, 2013

Self excited, but realistic, about upcoming season

Kansas head coach Bill Self calls a play during the second half on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self knows fan interest is as great, maybe even greater this year than any of his previous 10 seasons as basketball coach at Kansas University.

“I think I do sense more excitement from the season tickets, taking them all up. Usually we have to sell some individual game tickets to sell out, things like that. That’s not going to be the case this year,” Self said Monday on the Jayhawk Sports Weekly statewide radio program.

Indeed, all seats for games in Allen Fieldhouse were gobbled up in the recent Select-A-Seat program.

“There’s some anticipation without question,” added Self, who brought in a star-studded eight-man recruiting class that includes Rivals.com’s No. 1-rated player Andrew Wiggins and No. 12 Wayne Selden.

While stressing he is “very excited about working with these guys,” Self cautioned that the 2013-14 Jayhawks might have a tough time totaling as many victories of some of his recent Jayhawk powerhouse squads.

“I told our coaches this: ‘Hey, this team has a long ways to go to win as many games as what the past teams have. I think we are averaging just south of 33 wins a year over the last seven years, right around there,’” Self said.

KU the last seven seasons has averaged a whopping 32.57 victories per campaign.

“It’s going to be hard to win 33 games this year with that schedule we play. We’ll be playing so many young kids,” Self said. “But it is a talented group. I think by the end of it, we’ll have a chance to be really good, barring any unforeseen things happening, injuries or whatnot.”

Self was asked to identify any players (besides Wiggins and Selden) who may have surprised him during two-hour-a-week workouts this past summer as well as last week’s two-hour session (allowed by the NCAA).

“(Tarik) Black is good. (Conner) Frankamp shoots it about as well as anybody we’ve had in camp. Brannen Greene is long, skilled and really talented. It’s a good group,” Self said.

“I’d say the guys that have been the most pleasant surprise ... I may say (Naadir) Tharpe, (Jamari) Traylor and (Perry) Ellis. I think those guys have probably played as well as anybody and they need to play well because there are certainly people right there biting at their heels so to speak to warrant playing time.

“It’s going to be a fun year. There’s going to be a lot of competition in the gym. I am anxious to get started (Sept. 27),” he said.

Self said, “no, no,” when asked if sophomore Ellis might be a forgotten man entering the season.

“He’s not with our guys,” Self said. “I think there will be a great chance Perry could lead us in scoring. He’s improved so much. You said (mentioned) ‘Wiggins and Selden’ but trust me, Frankamp, (Joel) Embiid, Greene, Black and (Frank) Mason, those guys are good players, too. It was a nice recruiting class (including Hunter Mickelson of Arkansas who must sit out this season in accordance with transfer rules) and one in which Andrew I think was the cherry on the top so to speak. Those other guys are really good players. They’re just young.

“They’re going to be young and will probably make a lot of mistakes. We’ve got to figure out how to close games, obviously. Perry will be a big reason why we have a chance to be pretty good, especially early in the season, because we’re going to lean on him. Even though he’s not experienced he’s more experienced than anybody we have.”

In nonconference, KU plays Duke in Chicago, travels to Florida and Colorado, meets Georgetown and San Diego State at home and New Mexico in Sprint Center. Also on tap is a trip to Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas in which KU opens against Wake Forest, then plays Villanova or USC in Round Two.

“There are no ‘gimme games.’ There are no games, ‘Hey, let’s just show up and get experience tonight’ or ‘Let’s work on combinations.’ They are all games we are going to have to play to win. We’re going to get everybody’s best shot,” Self said.

Comments

thmdmph 1 year, 3 months ago

This team is so talented and will be great if among all the stars, someone steps up to the leadership and takes control and be in control in closed game situations.

DoubleDD 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember Coach Cal talking about going undefeated. That's before he thought Wiggins was a shoe in for UK. I'm wonder if HCBS is playing down here a little to keep control of this highly talented team. I haven't seen Wiggins play but when you are compared to LeBron James. I'm not saying this team is going undefeated by no means. I do think when HCBS gets this team clicking on all cylinders put a fork in it. "It's done" This team could be unstoppable.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

You're exactly right, he can't come out and saying we're going to be great. He's never said anything like that.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

Gosh, with all the Wiggins and Selden hype, and the recent coverage of CF, I almost forgot about Mr. Brannen Greene. This is really going to be fun to watch.

Mel Clare 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't forget about White III either! Kid can shoot it!

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't forget about White III but I just don't see him fitting in this year. If he doesn't red-shirt I see him playing about as many minutes as Self. As far as "Kid can shoot it" I don't disagree but the problem is so far he has not shown " He can make it " with any regularity. I watched him closely last year and he just didn't make that many and his misses where bad misses, meaning off a lot.With Conner and Greene as primary outside shooters I don't like III's chances of a lot of PT.

Rock Chalk

KULA 1 year, 3 months ago

White'll probably redshirt this year.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

White will not redshirt imo. Been wrong before but I think he will get 10-15 min a game this year.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

Will be great to see KU with some offensive fire power- will be exciting to watch. No way a team like this could lose to a TCU this year.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

With the avatar you are using "Bucknell" as part of your name and your mention of the TCU loss, I suspect that you are a troll for either K-State or Mizzou.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

I know, I usually make sure to say something positive about the jayhawks to make sure there's no hint of trolling. I just happen to be a Bucknell graduate from Kansas and proud of both of my teams. I think our defense was better than our offense each of the last two years or so (I"m sure kenpom has the stats). While I wouldn't say we've struggled by any means, I think last year we were a little flat on offense sometimes and I think we have way more weapons this year. Hopefully the newbies can keep the defense strong as well.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

Fair enough. I didn't go to KU either for my undergrad.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Who did you cheer for when KU played Bucknell? Not trying to be a wiseguy, just curious!

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

So Bucknell is this really tiny school and I didn't think they had a shot in hell, I def. rooted for the Bison to win as I was going to school there at the time. I talked to a few of the players from Bucknell after the game (weeks later at a frat party) and they were pretty humble about it, saying things like "If we had played them 10 times they would win 9 out of 10." It was a win-win game for me, I would have been happy with either outcome.

torinmia 1 year, 3 months ago

I think you can always lose to "a TCU" precisely because they are overlooked and underestimated. There is a steep learning curve and there will be some unexpected games and probably losses. It's how the team learns, grows and applies it to future games that will determine how far they go in March.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 3 months ago

You're right, a loss is OK as long as it refocuses the team and makes them better. I think the TCU game should be a nice shellacking with bountiful alley-oops and backdoor passes.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I might be twerking with a giant foam finger, but this team will beat TCU by a couple dozen. Bank on it.

KULA 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Bill, I don't care about winning 33 games this year. I just care about winning the last six games.

justinryman 1 year, 3 months ago

Gotta win atleast 20 and or the conf. turny to make it in to play those last 6 games of the NCAA tourny.

Mel Clare 1 year, 3 months ago

Lucas will be in the mix at post position this season also. We have Embid and Lucas both at 7'0 and 6'10 and next season if Embid stays we add Mickelson at 6'10! Gonna be fun to watch!

Mel Clare 1 year, 3 months ago

We lose 4 seniors and probably 2/3 to early entry to NBA............gonna have to reload again!

Wesley, Garret, Roberts and Black are seniors. With Black the only one with good playing time. We will probably lose Wiggins, Embid and maybe Selden. Wiggins for sure, depends on how Selden and Embid play as freshman.............

Losing Wesley, Roberts and Garrett will hurt because you need kids like this who work hard in practice knowing they are a Jayhawk!

Lot of bodies to find in recruiting..........

Ron Prichard 1 year, 3 months ago

It's either six or nine (or more). Three in the Big XII tourney and six in the NCAA tourney. The only possible way for KU to win just their last 7 is if they were the play in game for the NCAA tourney. I don't think that is a real worry. If it is, a lot of people around here are going to be screaming, myself included.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Keep it simple, rr.. Win the Big 12 Tourney; then win out in the NCAA Tourney. That makes for 7 consecutive wins. Who's talking about winning "...just their last 7?" Of course they would have to win their last 9 to do it. Duh....

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 3 months ago

As I counted the names mentioned, playing time will be interesting to get. Self mentioned Wiggins, Seldend, Greene and CF, which are the wings. He mentioned Tharpe and Mason, pg's, then Perry, Traylor, Black and Joel, the bigs. 10 man rotation right there. I'm not saying it's written in stone, but if that's the case White and Lucas would end up with scrub minutes.

If that happens, I hope we blow out alot of teams so they see the floor.

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

Notice that Self mentioned the 3 most experienced guys (Ellis, Traylor, Tharpe) as guys that have played as well as anyone. Experience counts, especially with Self.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

Hawk8086..you are partially right. DEFENSE is what really counts with Coach Self. If he has a frosh who can play lights out defense, that kid WILL see the floor!!!

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

Oak, Good point, but the experienced guys usually play better defense. How the guys are playing defense, I''m sure, influences who Self singles out as playing well.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Like any great team, it's going to take a great "closer"; someone who can take charge, take command, get the job done and lead us to the promised land.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm glad I read this piece (allowed by the NCAA). I'm glad we got that out of the way. Was the article allowed by the NCAA? Wait, didn't HCBS take a piss this past week? I hope that was approved by the NCAA. I think the team ate over the weekend, sure hope that was approved by the NCAA. I just hope the start of school was approved by the NCAA. I feel so much better now that everything is approved by the NCAA.

Do we need NCAA approval to exist? Good grief...I hope my sarcasm is approved because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 3 months ago

HCBS is allowed to pisss duh, the kids can't unless its between certain hours of the days only between 9-5 when it needs to be monitored by Johnny Manziel who's still getting paid for signing autographs. You need to check your facts before posting.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

When Tarik Black chose KU over Duke, I thought that was huge. A senior with experience, wide body, that will bang down low and have some attitude. Not sure that he will score much but experience and leadership on this team will do wonders. I think Tarik will start this season. Projection starting five. 1. Tarik Black 2. Perry Ellis 3. Andrew Wiggins 4. Naadir Tharpe 5. Wayne Selden

Ron Prichard 1 year, 3 months ago

Tarik should allow Ellis to have some freedom on offense and keep out of foul trouble on D. Tarik takes the big bruiser and Ellis can play a more natural 4 and move further away from the basket. Tarik may not be the flashiest pickup over the offseason, but he may have as big an impact as anyone come game day.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with the starting 5 above at the start of the year. Embiid is getting a great deal of hype so possibly he will get in the starting lineup by mid season. I also expect Traylor to get a lot of minutes behind Ellis. Any new thoughts from anyone on redshirts? So many cooks in this kitchen.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

It will be interesting to watch Bill Self coach a talented but young and inexperienced squad for a change. He has been used to fielding veteran-led clubs for several years and, obviously, has had a lot of success as a result. This will be different. This will be exciting. We may lose a few more games but have some real fun!

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 3 months ago

All signs point to White red shirting from what I've seen, but who knows. You figure if he does with Wiggins and maybe Selden gone in a year White should be starting in a year. Any news on White's knee issues I heard about early this summer?

Big_Dipper 1 year, 3 months ago

Unlike the experienced 2008-2009 team we had after Rush, Chalmers, Arthur, Jackson, Kaun, and Robinson (did I miss anyone?), left? Oh yeah, that was another Big XII title year too! How about the year after the Morris twins and was it Henry left? I think we made it to the NCAA title game that year with a new starter named Thomas Robinson. It's always fun to watch KU, and coach Self. If he has veterans or not, Coach Self knows how to get the most out of his players.

Jerry Collins 1 year, 3 months ago

This team will be fast,, fast, fast and we will have true scorers, not like the over hyped one and done's like in our recent seasons. If Frankamp doesn't start, he can come off the bench and pour in 20.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 3 months ago

You are walking way, way out on that limb, my friend.

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

I really don't see this team entering the NCAA Tournament with more than 4 losses. Since Florida won't have Chris Walker until the second semester, I think we'll enter conference play with one loss and a few very close victories. We'll have some tough games in conference play, like at ISU, at KSU, at Baylor and likely playing OSU 3 times, but we shouldn't lose 4 or more conference games barring a significant injury.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Saw a reference in a post above to a 10 man rotation.

Question .. when has Self ever had a 10 man rotation?

Answer .. never.

While we all are excited to see the new guys (just as we were last season with White and Adams), some new guys (like White and Adams) just won't get to play that much. Some might redshirt (like Lucas did).

Self will identify the players he sees as better, and they'll play. There will be a couple freshmen/sophomores, at a minimum, that are pure bench guys.

Self played a 7 man rotation last season; with Traylor or Ellis -- depending upon who was behind the other -- being a low minutes 8th man. The other guy was the 7th man.

Here's a rotation prediction -

1. Tharpe

2. Selden

3. Wiggins

4. Ellis

4a. Black

1. Frankamp or Mason (necessary as back-up point guard)

2. White or Greene (Frankamp could factor in as perimeter sub if he doesn't win the back-up pg role, but unlikely due to size, defense, matchups; and also because both White and Greene are shooters, too).

3. Embiid

4. Traylor or Lucas (lower minutes, but could be more minutes than Embiid depending upon Embiid's progress).

Note the "or". White or Greene is on the bench. Frankamp or Mason is on the bench. Traylor or Lucas is on the bench. Numbers make it reality.

Many of these guys we are all excited about just won't play. To quote Bugs Bunny, "it is true because it is fact."

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 3 months ago

I do know the title team had a 9 man rotation. Even if Self did that this year there's going to be odd men out. For sure Wiggins, Selden, Black, Ellis And Tharpe. I'd say the Traylor and Joel to make it 7. Now it's tricky with White, Greene, Connor and Mason to fill out the final 2.

Guess we shall see what happens

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Actually dude, the '08 team had an 8 man rotation counting RussRob, Chalmers, Rush, Shady, Jackson. Collins, Kaun, Aldrich. And when Rush was hurt it was Rodrick Stewart subbing in for him til Rush got better.

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

That PG battle will be really interesting. I think the experience of Tharpe and the shooting of Frankamp keep Mason out of the rotation.

Chase Topliff 1 year, 3 months ago

This team is going to have so much flexibility in who can bring he ball up. Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden are all guys who could essentially bring the ball up if need be.

Mason and Frankhamp will be battling for the "back up PG" spot. I put that in quotations because I doubt HCBS will make his decision on pure PG skills. If those other guys can help bringing the ball up, I think Connor wins the battle because he will be able to contribute more on the offensive end with his three point shooting.

Larry Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not sure what you would classify as a "rotation" guy. Is it 10 min per game? More? Less?.I'm pretty sure Self has used a 9 man raotation a few times, and If my memory serves me right, The last year the twins were here, there was a 10 man rotation, heck it may have even been 11. I think with the youth of this roster, a 9 or 10 man rotation is a very good possibility.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Good point .. my "minutes" for the "rotation" is 13 per game. I know that seems random, but you can play 10 per game and not really be a regular in the game plan. 15 may be a bit much. So, somewhat randomly, I'd say 13. Just my guide.

Good example was Roderick Stewart. No one would think of him as a rotation guy in 2007-08. He averaged appx. 11 minutes per game. And in 2010-11, Releford clearly wasn't a rotation guy, but he averaged 10 per game.

Last season, most would think of Ellis as a rotation guy. He was 13.6 per game.

Again, random, but I think it fits.

ParisHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Rodrick Stewart may not be the best example, because he basically subbed for Brandon Rush while BR was coming back from his summer ACL. He averaged close to 20 minutes a game in 2007, then when Rush came back he was a ninth man who averaged less than 10.

So for part of the season he was a rotation player and sometime starter, then in the NCAAs I'm not sure he played a minute. Of course, it didn't help that he busted his knee during open practice on Final Four weekend. It hurts to remember it...

ParisHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

This reply to HEM and his repliers, presented by Renault Automotive, Avenue Grande Armée...

Very realistic rotation analysis by HEM. I would just add that Self always tightens his rotation as the season progresses. The Title Team had a 7 1/2 man rotation in the NCAAs, with Alrich getting about half Kaun's minutes.

Also, Self tends to play 4 bigs more often than he plays 5 smalls, so the logjam is bigger among the guards and wings.

Self says there are no "experience" games in non-conference, just "play to win" games. This is pretty much true of him every year, but this time he's admitting it up front. I think this means the best players will play a lot and the battles for backup spots will take place during practice.

All this is assuming Coach Self plays it safe. If he really wants to adjust his philosophy to all this talent, there will be signs very early.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

100% agree that Self will not go 10 deep for his rotation. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bill Self has always used a 9 man rotation. The rotation however may not necessarily have 9 different players filling those rotation spots. You got the 5 starters, and his bench roles have always been a back up for each big, a back up small guard (someone who can play the 1 or 2), and a back up big guard (someone who can play the 2 or 3). Bill Self may not always use 9 different players in his rotation, but there are 9 defined roles in his system and whoever fills those roles most effectively will be in the rotation this upcoming year.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Like I said, 9 roles, not necessarily 9 different players filling those roles. The roles last year were EJ, McLemore, Releford, Young, and Withey as the starters. The back up small guard was Tharpe, Ellis and Traylor were the back bigs which leaves the back up big guard. That role was filled by EJ primarily. Self tried getting AW3 to fill that role, but his defense was never up to par to fill it on a consistent basis. That left EJ to fill the role as it was not uncommon at all to see a back court of Tharpe, EJ, and either McLemore/Releford last season.

Bill Self doesn't want the starters to play 35 mpg because fatigue at the end of the season becomes an issue. He would rather see his starters between 25-30 minutes per game because that means the bench players are good enough to justify 10-15 per game and not see much of a drop off in production.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

Ridiculous tex...A nine man rotation means nine players. Now you're quibbling about roles or players?

And as far as giving Andrew White a shot at a role/player/position/whatever, no more than he gave Tharpe, Robinson, EJ a shot their freshman years. HCBS has always kept a short leash on his freshmen players.

This year will be the exception. If he wants to recruit players such as Wiggins, having them sit their freshman year would quickly put an end to that. Selby's freshman year did not help recruiting but McLemore's success was a key to this year's recruiting.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 3 months ago

You got it right JayDogger.

HCBS has no set rules on rotations or any other aspects of the game except discipline. He does have a preferred style but adjusts it to the team, not the other way which limits the players to 'defined roles'. Who would limit Wiggins or Seldon to 'defined roles'? That's a losers outlook.

Pretty common theme that all the top coaches do.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't be surprised if this team looses 8 to 10 games with the young roster and the schedule we're playing. Self's system takes some time to learn which is why you often see talented freshman play behind less talented upper classmen. That said, this team has the talent to win a national championship if they grind and improve as the year goes on. Fans who are picturing an undefeated season or a one or two loss season will be in for a big disappointment. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I do expect a slow start with that schedule.

VailHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't see it, maybe six tops but I'm thinking 3 or 4...early season non-con games being the wild card

mikehawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Coach is drooling. We're drooling. Come on football team, be our Xanax until Duke in Chicago. This is going to fun to watch. As usual, Coach is playing head games with his team and with us. Lowering expectations. Good luck with that, Coach.

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember Pat Forde saying Self told him at the Final 4 last year that we'll be better this year than we were last year, and that was obviously before we landed Wiggins and Black. I doubt the tough schedule gets in the way of this talented young team winning more games and going deeper in the tournament than last years.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

The 2013-14 Jayhawk starting five nickname team:

1] Tarik "The Tank" Black.

2] Perry "The Designer" Ellis.

3] Naddir "Sharp" Tharpe.

4] Wayne "Seldom-Miss" Selden.

5] Andrew " The Wiz" Wiggins.

6] Rotation could include Jamari "The Semi" Traylor, Joel "The Impayler" Embied, Conner "The Bomber" Frankamp, Brannen "Mean" Greene, Andrew "AW!!!" White, Landon "Cool Hand" Lucas and Frank "The Missile" Mason.

Satirical 1 year, 3 months ago

You have it all wrong.

5] Andrew "Ender" Wiggins

Haven't you ever read Ender's Game? The character Andrew Wiggin is nicknamed "Ender." I think it fits perfectly!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Perry is the Commodore as in Commodore Perry of War of 1812 fame.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Nice!
But hey guys, Andrew Wiggins' nickname is "Wigs" or "Big Wigs"

VaJay 1 year, 3 months ago

All Excellent, except the last one - gotta go with Frank "The Tank" Mason !!

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with HEM. We will not see a 10 man, maybe not even a 9 man rotation. Black will likely start along with the 4 "givens", Embiid could start, maybe later in the year, but more likely to come off the bench. Traylor definitely gets minutes based on his experience. That leaves whoever wins the backup PG (Mason or Frankamp.....probably not too many minutes), and eiither White or Greene off the bench as a wing. That's 9. As someone pointed out, "rotation" may mean 5 minutes. Sure,some guys could force Self's hand and he could end up playing 10. Frankamp could play well enough to merit minutes on the wing. But, history suggests that he goes with a core of 7 or so guys with another couple getting some minutes. Clearly Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden, Ellis will get 30 plus minutes. Black could likely be in that category also based on experience, although Embiid's talent level could change that.

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

I can also see some growing pains with this team. Duke, Florida, Colorada, Baylor, OSU all have the real potential of losses. Pus, a young team often drops a game or 2 you don't expect. As many have pointed out, though, at the end of the season we could certainly compete for a NC.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not so sure the lack of experience factor is going to be as significant as is being portrayed;

1] Black [ a senior], Tharpe [ a junior], Ellis [lots of PT], Traylor [3rd season at KU], and White [2nd year] give us a solid group of guys with experience.

2] The new guys have played a ton of games on the AAU Circuit, high school, prep school, etc.

3] Jo Jo will be the exception yet his almost limitless potential and physicality will accelerate his learning curve.

4] Our coaching staff...need I say more.

5] But, most importantly, the scrimmages. If you figure Black, Ellis, Wiggins, Selden and Tharpe as the first team Blues, the Reds counter with Embiid, Traylor, Greene, Frankamp and Mason. Our second team is potentially superior to half our scheduled opponents first teams!!

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

We have not been blessed with this much talent since the 08 team. And depth wise we are much deeper talent wise. Yes we are young and lack experience, but give me great raw talent over experience any day. HCBS is going to down play this team as much as possible to try and keep fan expectations down a little and to try and to try and keep the player egos grounded. But once we get to see a few games the upside of this team will be exposed. The biggest problem for HCBS is PT for all the talented players.

Rock Chalk

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not sure about your great raw talent over experience any day comment. Last year's experienced team was one infamous meltdown away from being in the final four and needing to win just two more winnable games.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Still expect 6-8 losses, but...

• Frankamp shoots about as well as Ben? This is sick. AW3, your red shirt is ready.

• Black is good? A freight train with game? This is sicker. Bring on the B1G.

• Greene is long, skilled, really talented? Even A Wigs has a challenger? This is epidemic sick. In blow outs, is the lead going to increase, when the subs come in?

• Ellis, a 5-star, and stated early 1st option, has to play well, or he will lose minutes? Pandemic sick!

• What's next? Is Self going to bring in Phil Jackson and Larry Bird to coach B12 schools to give himself more competition? Chem/Bio sick! No anti-venom sick!! No antidote sick!!!

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

If AW3 redshirts, it won't be because of CF, it'll be because Brannen Greene beat AW3 out to back up Wiggins.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

If AW3 has to redshirt this season, he should probably transfer. Frankamp and Green ain't leavin' anytime soon, and top talent is sure to follow. Chances are he'd never be a starter.

Greg Lux 1 year, 3 months ago

Sadly I have to agree with you about AW3 transferring over Red-shirting. He needs to play to have a future in the league and I agree even if he red-shirts his chances of getting the needed playing time is not great. Sadly I say this because I have never seen him play much. He could be a hidden jewel but only the coaching staff will know if its worth it to AW3 and the team for him to red-shirt.

Rock Chalk

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Ha! That's awesome!
Gets me super amped for November! See guys. Andrew Wiggins nickname Wigs or Big Wigs, it flows, its cohesive. Phil Jackson in the Big 12? I suppose T.Boone has enough $$ to make that happen...

Bill Anthony 1 year, 3 months ago

Your example of last year's experienced team's meltdown reinforces hawkerman's point. Then again, last year's inexperienced, but highly-talented Kentucky team (okay, not really a TEAM) didNIT do squat. The year before, the same type players were a true team and won it all. Last year's Wichita State Shockers didn't make anyone's list of most talented teams and had numerous injuries limiting key player's experience, but they won because they were incredibly well coached. So what's the point? The race doesn't always go to the swift but circumstance and chance happen to everybody. All CS can do is increase KU's chances of winning by assembling the best talent possible (check), then coach them to play as a team while they gain as much experience as possible. I expect that come late March and early April KU will be as good as any team with a chance to win the NC. But who knows? That's why it's so fun to watch.

Bill Anthony 1 year, 3 months ago

This was supposed to be a reply to Jhawkerman.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

No...I don't see Self redshirting a big. Self loves his bigs. Lucas already RS and Mickelson is already a RS transfer. I've always said that either CF or Mason RS since Self doesn't have much luck recruiting with pgs at this point. Greene's IQ is high and see him picking up Self's system faster than most freshmen. My rotation is a 10-11 man rotation. Self has no choice on bigs. You can't RS Lucas, Black, or even Embiid. It would be insane. I have nothing against CF, but his defense and lateral footwork is too much a liability. HCBS simply says CF is as good a shooter as anyone in camp. You RS either Mason/Greene or CF/AWIII. I wouldn't RS Greene/CF together. This would bring rotation to 10 man. I just don't think you get around 10 man rotation. I would lean toward CF/AWIII this year.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

I listed a rotation: Tharpe/Mason Selden/Greene Wigs/Greene Ellis/Traylor/Greene Lucas/Black/Embiid

A more radical lineup might be: Tharpe/Greene Selden/Greene Wigs/Greene Ellis/Traylor/Black Lucas/Embiid

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Drunken- I see Alexander coming, maybe Turner, and/or Robinson. Embiid plays and Self supports him jumping to the league if his season plays out as planned.

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

Agreed. I don't see Embiid red-shirting. Too much talent. He plays (how much remains to be seen). Since the league drafts on potential, he is a OAD candidate even with mediocre numbers.

Michael Luby 1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah, no way he red shirts. Kid's got talent and size. More likely he gives a redshirt to one or two of his wing players

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Unless Embiid is a player deadest on patient university level development and experience, regardless of the riches of early NBA draft potential, I don't envision his taking a red shirt. Realistically, the best we can hope for is that he sticks around for a second season in order to improve his lottery status. I look to see him play 15-18 minutes this season, perhaps a few minutes more down the stretch, as he gains experience and confidence. In terms of experience, brute strength and hunger, the Black acquisition looms huge for this squad, esp. for the challenging pre-conference schedule while Selden and Wiggins adjust to SelfBall.