Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One of a kind: Wiggins focused on own career, not comparisons

Kansas University freshman Andrew Wiggins, left, answers a question alongside senior Tarik Black, center, and junior Naadir Tharpe during Big 12 Men’s Basketball Media Day on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013, at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

— Kansas University freshman sensation Andrew Wiggins needed to finish one interview before taking his seat at a table with teammates Perry Ellis, Naadir Tharpe and Tarik Black at Big 12 Men’s Basketball Media Day on Tuesday in Sprint Center.

Not getting the memo regarding the delay ... one of two dozen reporters mistook 6-foot-9, 260-pound senior center Black for the 6-8, 200-pound Wiggins, asking him how he likes playing at KU.

“It feels great, wonderful,” said Black, good-naturedly playing along with the case of mistaken identity. “I’m kicking my feet up, enjoying every day.

“KU fans ... I appreciate you so much. It’s been an honor,” Black added before coming clean and indicating Wiggins had yet to appear for the 45-minute group chat session.

To be fair to the reporter ... maybe he saw the recent cover of Sports Illustrated which didn’t show Wiggins’ face. The Vaughan, Ontario native stood with a basketball facing the masthead with the caption: “The Freshman: From Wilt To Manning To Wiggins, A Torch Is Passed At Kansas,” prominently displayed.

Determined to learn all about KU history in his one year as a Jayhawk, Wiggins is aware Chamberlain scored 52 points and grabbed 31 rebounds in his college debut versus Northwestern.

“That game Wilt had, that first game, that’s ridiculous,” Wiggins exclaimed shortly after arriving to face the media throng.

“I don’t know if I’ll ever get that in college. I’ll continue to work hard. I know the fans will be there whether I play well or not. The fans are loyal. They’ll be there.”

Wiggins — he averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebounds last season at Huntington Prep in West Virginia — isn’t crazy about being tagged the best high school player since NBA star Kevin Durant, his favorite player, and LeBron James.

“I’ve got a long way to go before I can be compared to LeBron and Durant. Those are the best players in the world right now,” Wiggins said. “I’m still in college. I think it’s unfair to compare me with someone of that caliber. Hopefully one day I can be compared to them. I think I have a long way to go before I am. In reality, they are the best players in the world.”

KU coach Bill Self just hopes fans let Wiggins develop his own identity.

“I don’t even know of one player I can think of that he’s like that guy. He’s just Andrew,” Self said. “That’s all he needs to be is just try to be himself and not live up to what other people think he should be. When you’re the cover of S.I. and they’re comparing you to (Wilt) Chamberlain and (Danny) Manning, and in Chamberlain’s first game he went for 52 and 31, that’s not going to happen. He could go for 20 and 10 and disappoint everybody.

“But the thing about Andrew, if you really understand ball, he’ll be a guy that will impact our team in ways other than scoring points because he can do a lot of different things,” added Self, who said he wants Wiggins and Wayne Selden to be “guards that post.”

Chamberlain, of course, died in 1999.

“Danny may have,” Self said, not wanting to embarrass the young questioner. “Danny I think is a great sounding board for Andrew. I think that would be somebody who will help Andrew even though he is in Tulsa (as head coach). He will and we’ll ask him to do so. There are a lot of similarities from a personality standpoint and all that stuff when Danny was playing.”

Though Wiggins is quiet, he’s fun to be around, his teammates say.

“Every time I see the dude, I look at him and start laughing,” said KU junior Naadir Tharpe. “I don’t know why. One day after practice, my man was about to get in the shower with his ankle braces on. He walked all the way to the shower and comes back. He said, ‘I got my ankle braces on.’ We said, ‘Yeah we can see.’ That’s who he is, a laid-back dude. You wouldn’t even know he’s the No. 1 player in the country if you haven’t seen the magazines. He’s always himself all the time.”

Wiggins handled a barrage of questions on Tuesday on a variety of topics.

He likes listening to Canadian recording artist Drake, who he knows personally; his personality reflects his mother, soft-spoken track star Marita Payne-Wiggins more than dad, former NBA player Mitchell; he actually has picked up a hockey stick like many of his fellow Canadians.

“I can skate ... on ice,” Wiggins said.

Backwards? “Yeah,” he stated with a smile.

More importantly, he thinks he’s already learned a lot from KU coach Self and teammates like senior Black — “He’s a coach on the floor,” Wiggins said — and as such is prepared for the start of his frosh season.

“I think I’m ready right now,” Wiggins said. “I have to make sure to keep getting in the gym, shooting extra shots, know all the plays. I play hard all the time now. I think I play hard right now.”

It’s because after lots of pick-up basketball with his teammates last summer in Lawrence and preseason practices this fall, he’s learned it’s difficult on this level.

“There are no bad players on the team,” the McDonald’s All-American and No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2013 said. “You can’t take any plays off. The person you are guarding may be as good as you.”

His expectations are for the team, not himself. “We can be great, the best team in the country,” Wiggins said. “We’ve got a young team. The chemistry is building real quick. Practice has been real hard for the freshmen. Now everything is coming easier, more fluent. The potential is there to be the best team.”

Comments

Ken Sedgwick 10 months, 1 week ago

Read the article Randomly answered survey Moving on to kubuckets Last comment here

Clarence Haynes 10 months, 1 week ago

"Being human, Wiggins obviously will make some mistakes, just like the young reporter who asked Self if Chamberlain and Manning had “reached out” to Wiggins to help him with expectations."

Wiggins channeled a Wilt!

Martin Rosenblum 10 months, 1 week ago

Doesn't this kid have a nickname yet? Surely, amongst the team and away from the game, there's something beside Andrew Wiggins that he's known by! TRob, JuJu, Shady, Rio, etc. come to mind along with numerous other "nicknames". I don't recall hearing Wiggins being called anything else yet, except the #1 recruit, which we're all greatful for. But, we like to identify with their personalities or what alternatives their teammates have adopted for them.

Lance Cheney 10 months, 1 week ago

Just don't call him late for dinner!

Robin Smith 10 months, 1 week ago

'Ender' has been bandied about.

he's also been called Maple Jordan and some other things like that.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

It is unfortunate that the LJW policy has destroyed this site as far as commenting goes. This article would have many comments more by now. I have read the comments on prior articles and while there is some analysis, it is limited. An article with 15 comments would have had over 100. Many of the comments are about the commenting policy.

The policy has nothing to do with civility. That's a red herring. It has to do with money, and information sharing, and data mining, and targeted advertising, and Facebook advertising, and Google surveys. The LJW did not hook up with Facebook for "civility" purposes. Who is naïve enough to believe that? How does Facebook make money? Try this. Next time you buy something online, use the email address that you registered with at Facebook. All of a sudden, you'll see some targeted advertising on this site. And right, Facebook sells collective data to Google.

But look, we can fight it, or we can work with it. In the age where the newspaper is dying, the LJW has to ensure revenue. It's a business. There is no site if there is no LJW. They have to adapt. Facebook, Google, etc., is adaptation. I just read Jesse's summary of Self's comments and the Big 12 media. It was terrific. That's a great part of this site.

But the best part are the comments and analysis that follows by posters. A reporter/columnist provides generally one point of view, or none if he's just reporting. And if just reporting, there is many times no analysis.

Personally, I enjoyed the posts of everyone that was here .. and I felt that I learned something on regular basis, particularly from folks I disagreed with. The information in the posts was incredible. I know jaybate is the one many love to hate, but seriously, there are some guys that just think they're the smartest guys in the room, and then there are others that are the smartest guys in the room. He was clearly the latter. The entertainment factor from everyone here .. from the regulars to the non-regulars was outstanding. I've seen a lot of places and message boards .. but who compares to jaybate, Oak, drgnslayr, ralster, Blown, konkeyDong, etc. -- and I don't say "etc." lightly, There are many, many more that I could list.

I get that there is a minority out there that doesn't like having their thought process challenged, and just like to post without discourse, but that isn't what the message boards here have been all about. That small minority have made their opinions known in there posts here over the last week plus.

(continued)

Suzi Marshall 10 months, 1 week ago

HEM, your point about the LJW's need to make money in the age of dying print media is right on. I hate the intrusion and use of my private life but continue to post here because of my fondness for the writers, including Chuck W. who recently surfaced. There has to be a means to supply a salary for Bedore,Tait, Chuck's retirement etc. I admire how so many sprung up with their own ideas and see that as The American Way. The jayhawklounge.com site is very interesting with the makings of a great forum. I'd love to see LJW merge with jayhawklounge.com.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

It's pretty funny. Some have posted that anonymity is the source of evil. Actually, idiots are the source of evil. And we generally have very few here. They seemed to be managed just fine. And by and large, their negative conduct was policed the way such speech should be policed .. by more convincing speech. Because the idiots are entitled to their opinions.

There is a very easy solution here. Folks could log-in through Facebook, but their screen name is all that is shown. If they cross the line on commenting with extreme stuff -- like what followed from some ISU fans after we won in Ames, for example -- then ban them. It's easy.

Part of the enjoyment of this site is not knowing who jaybate is. I don't want to know that Blown is "Ron" whoever, or drgnslayr is "William" whatever. And I'm sure no one cares who I am one bit.

As of now, though, the LJW has successfully destroyed what was a pretty cool deal.

HEM

Ryan Michael 10 months, 1 week ago

HEM! He's alive! Come over and visit us at jayhawklounge.com bud! If nothing else it would give me a means to PM you some thoughts/questions! I tried to PM you on KUBuckets but I don't think it's an option.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Yes, still kickin'. My whole deal here got locked up and a very nice lady named Alma at the LJW got it fixed. I'll drop by.

Ian Emerson 10 months, 1 week ago

I truly enjoyed your analysis HEM. Not to mention how absolutely dead on you just were. I think this site just kinda sold out. It is a business after all. Just sucks for the fans :/

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Thanks, I have enjoyed your posts as well.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 1 week ago

HEM, as always I appreciate the kind words, and even more, I appreciate you coming back to share. You hit so many things on the head with your comment. And I understand not everybody is going to be willing to find a way to get a facebook account and come back on, but I look to this board to constantly learn about the game I love so much. I hate to be one of the primary posters here, because so many of us know that there are so many great basketball (and life) minds lurking around here. But if I have to step up my game, then that's what I'll do. Hopefully those that remain on this site will move from the commenter stage to the analyst stage because that's what brings about all of the great discussion in my opinion.

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 10 months, 1 week ago

BINGO: "There is a very easy solution here. Folks could log-in through Facebook, but their screen name is all that is shown."

Brett McCabe 10 months, 1 week ago

Why do people keep coming back to this site to complain about this site? Don't you have the choir to preach to on IT Joe's money-making scheme?

You seem to think that there is one problem. Though you use the word "evil" to create your own straw man or red herring, the core problem is idiocy. Idiocy is everywhere, all the time. If you have a plan to fix that, then I'd like to hear it. Still waiting.....

Barring a great plan to cure the world of idiocy, most organizations seek to contain it. Eliminating anonymity virtually forces civil discourse. Perhaps the owners of the LJW just got sick of posters using the site to call CW an idiot, or SH an idiot, or Bonnie an idiot and so on and so on.

The great thing about this world, and one of the great things about the internet, is that there are a million, zillion choices out there. You can log-on anonymously just about anywhere you want and say whatever you want.

Or you can come here, take responsibility for your opinions and read those of others.

The real red herrings in all of this are the excuses used to not comment here. The rationalization army is in full march....oh my god! I can't do Facebook.....oh my God! you'll turn me over to the NSA!.....oh my God! I had to press a mouse to answer a question..... Bottom line is that cowards are as cowards do. It's tough to accept, but it's the simple truth. Please don't waste time pretending that it's something else.

Ryan Michael 10 months, 1 week ago

You keep calling people cowards for not wanting to be forced into doing something they don't want to do... Or linking their professional (real world) names to a personal hobby...

Do you not see the irony in your own post about how using real names forces civil discourse, meanwhile in the same post you call people cowards and insult them?

You don't know anything about any of the posters here, so why don't you take your own advice and stop complaining.

Brett McCabe 10 months, 1 week ago

You are not "forced" to do anything on this site. You choose to post by the rules or you do not. The choice is yours.

Suzi Marshall 10 months, 1 week ago

Brett, I wouldn't be so quick to mock the NSA part of all this. I recently completed 8 years in China (Beijing.Shanghai.Xian, etc) and saw first hand how the Chinese goverment held complete knowledge/control over the population. Just mentioning any of the resistance groups on any forum such as FB is tracked and will bring a police visit. Google has been a key element assisting in this. That kind of totalitarianism in the US has been exposed as an unfolding nightmare. I'm in Houston and know numerous good people that have come under the hammer from the IRA, DIA, DEA and other organizations (www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/20/ob...) simply because they disagreed with Obama. I fear the information Google collects from our FB accounts through LJW does go to the NSA data collection centers. It has been documented.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Brett (kingfisher): Obviously you have a lot of experience with this site, offering comments since last April.

You are the first name-caller here today. Really, you're the kind of poster that offers very little. A review of your comments exhibits that. Snide comments here and there. No real substance.

You're the kind of poster I was referring to. You don't like it when someone disagrees with you. You don't know how to handle it.

Seriously, you suggest that guys who have posted here for several years are cowards simply because they don't want to do it as the LJW suggests? It's just posting on a website. But that's you. That's your m.o. You are what you are.

But you can change ...

HEM

Brett McCabe 10 months, 1 week ago

"Actually, idiots are the source of evil. And we generally have very few here. They seemed to be managed just fine. " So you don't consider calling people idiots or the "source of evil" an example of name-calling?

Or...how about: You, my friend, have been smokin' crack cocaine.

Gotcha. Just trying to keep up with the logic.

You are probably right....I probably don't bring much to the table as far as a commenter...for a lot of reasons. I encourage you to do as I do, skip the comments of those you don't like and move on to the ones that you prefer to read.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Brett: The crack cocaine thing is a joke. Not an insult. If you've read my posts you should know that. I assume he isn't indulging. Just another way of suggesting he might reconsider his thought process.

You got me on the idiots thing ...

My intent was to identify those that do what some ISU folks did after that game, or who simply come in and lob insults. Very few of those, and I don't consider you one of those. But I did say "idiots."

But let's try this .. let's be constructive. Both of us. I'll look forward to your posts.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Great comments. Good stuff as always.

Bill Skeet 10 months, 1 week ago

Appreciate your comments -- and hope that the JW is listening here. There's a deeper story here than a policy change on a basketball board. This is a meaty topic for social scientists interested in doing research on virtual communities (this was a vibrant one). There's fodder for editorials for those who want to follow the civil liberties thread... etc.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 1 week ago

So the poet William Blake is not the real name of dragonslayer?

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

William Blake ... good post, but you are implying you are using a fake name. Just curious, if Jesse bans you, will you go back to Facebook and start another account? Seems like a lot of work to not just go by your real name. You said, "to remain a free land where people can express themselves openly." Yes, but as an addendum to that ... gb would write, "people who use their real names can express themselves openly on forums run by private businesses." We just want a real discussion with real people, not anonymous individuals. That's all.

Robin Smith 10 months, 1 week ago

An extra addendum or two, but I do know people who are unable to use their real names for their facebook accounts due to actual instances of aggressive stalkers.

I personally choose to be open with my internet activity, and I do believe that anonymity lends itself to a lack of understanding of who you are talking with, but I think it's important that people have a choice.

My choice comes in part from the nominal reasons given for 'being real', but I will say there was a time when I riled some of jaybate's opponents and they began berating me by name in articles I had yet to see and it was creepy. Now much of my comfort comes from my lowly status, my sense of being physically safe, my stoic philosophy, and being a generally amiable guy--I'm not too worried about being targeted--but I'm also a guy who walks through unfamiliar alleys in London or Manhattan at 4 in the morning. I'm sure most people are not like me in this regard.

Lastly, though, there are means of accomplishing the benefits of 'real' and civil discourse which are short of partnering with Little Brother, I mean, facebook ;-)

Steve Gantz 10 months, 1 week ago

1. The Chicago Tribune does that, and anything interesting I want to read there is premium content. I'm sure they lost a lot of regular readers/commenters when they went to that system.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 1 week ago

Nice to see you HEM. I am finding myself in both spots. I go to KUBuckets for some of the old faces/names, but I'm finding it a little bit cumbersome as it gets used more. I miss a lot of the commenting here like a lot of us do. When I saw this article and 43 comments I was like, ok, maybe people are coming back, but many of the comments are still about the changes and lack of action here. Too bad really.

Waylon Cook 10 months, 1 week ago

I'd rather have one Wiggins than 10 Marcus Smarts.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

You, my friend, have been smokin' crack cocaine.

There is a reasonable chance that you might trade one Wiggins for one Smart when all is said and done.

Would you do that now? Known quantity? High, high level guy. I might.

HEM

Ryan Michael 10 months, 1 week ago

Gotta agree with HEM on this one... As much up-side as Wiggins has, he's completely unproven at this point. There is also some potential that he won't take over a game and dominate for 40 minutes. Smart has proven that is exactly what he does...

In the college game, i'd say Marcus Smart is worth just as much as an Andrew Wiggins. In the Pro level, i have no doubt Wiggins has more potential.

Suzi Marshall 10 months, 1 week ago

We all saw up front and personal last year in AFH what kind of ferious competitor Smart has. It remains to be seen if Wiggins can match that level. My sole problem with Smart is his college selection. Think of last year's KU team with Smart. Think of this year's team with Wiggin and Smart playing together!

Brett McCabe 10 months, 1 week ago

Waylon....unlike Jack, I get your point. Exaggeration to make a point may have been lost on him. Though I've heard that Smart is not as much of a jerk as we in crimson and blue think he is.

In terms of Wiggins, at any level, he has far more upside than Marcus Smart. He can (theoretically) impact a game in more ways due to his length and athleticism. If his shot drops, he has the potential to be almost unstoppable - no matter what junk defense is thrown at him.

I'm with you....I'll take any Jayhawk over any 10 'boys any day of the week.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 1 week ago

Brett, Keep digging your hole of incredibility. You are doing a mighty fine job. You talk about civil discourse, yet your posts are full of insults.

Waylon Cook 10 months, 1 week ago

Yes there was a slight bit of exaggeration in my post. I figured as with anything on a free message board(well or pay for that matter) People would freak the hell out. My man point was chose to play for Bill Self one chose to play for Travis Ford.

Not everyone lives in Oklahoma like myself and I have to listen to people who know less about sports than most kids in 1st grade on the RADIO(and tv). Trust me its bad.

BTW no post on here is going to affect your day so RELAX people.

Also we don't need to Wiggins to dominate anyone for 40 mins. We need him to do what Self says!

Ron Prichard 10 months, 1 week ago

Welcome back, HEM. I really do believe that LJW killed the threads with this latest move, but there are still a few that like to comment. I am sure many, many more still read the articles. I know people are trying to start other blog/comment sites, but my biggest problem with that is reading the articles here and then going to another site to comment on them is a bit cumbersome. I don't see that it is any easier than just commenting here. Of course, the disclosure issue is still there.

As for the article itself, I actually heard the question about Wilt on the radio. There was a long akward pause and then Self started talking about Danny. You could hear another reporter blurt out, "he's dead!" As kind as Self tried to be, the gal had to want to crawl into a hole and cry.

I wonder if Coach Self ever reaches out to Coach Allen? I bet he would have some great advice.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 1 week ago

I'm thinking, shouldn't the journalist be doing some basic research before asking questions? At the same time, we've all been new at something before--and I'm happy my mistakes are not publicized to the world.

Bill Skeet 10 months, 1 week ago

Interesting that the reporter remains anonymous.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Rap .. at least coach Self could reach out to coach Allen (statue out front).

Statues for Chamberlain and Manning might be cool, too.

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

I think you are right in your take, Ron. Hopefully the young student reporter (I'm pretty sure she was a student reporter from Iowa, but I could be mistaken) learned a lesson. I know Bill Self felt for her cause when somebody made a wisecrack after she left, Bill said, "She was trying very hard." Cause she asked 3-4 other questions to Bill as well. She seemed pretty sharp so I'm sure she'll learn from it. We all make mistakes even tho some people in this world probably act like they don't.

Some other guy made a mistake too, mistaking Tarik Black for Wiggins. The Jayhawks laughed a bit at the table but didn't ridicule the reporter or anything. Tarik had some fun with the situation for a moment.

We had a full hour with Bill so the questions got kind of crazy at the end. Love Brett McCabe's posts on anonymity.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 1 week ago

Gary, I can imagine getting my first 'crack' at Bill Self too...I imagine her nerves were working against her as well.

Regarding McCabes post about anonymity. I would like to ask you a follow up question. What about the several celebrities that I know post on this site under aliases. Do you think they need to tell everybody who they are so they can be bombarded by questions that aren't appropriate? What about the major donors and politicians that are here? Now they can't share a sports comment without having it attached to their name. Im just curious where your thoughts are on this part of the subject?

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

Hi, My take is anybody who wants to post in the comments section should give his/her real name. I don't think the celebrities would be bombarded by questions that aren't appropriate cause the person asking those questions is also putting his/her own real name. I just personally think anonymity leads to rude discourse in many cases. Let's all say who we are so we can have a legitimate discussion w/out potshots and rude comments. I've heard people say it really wasn't that bad on the J-W comments section. Fair enough, but we have had to kill a ton of comments in the past and I think it's reasonable for a business to ask people to back up their comments with their real name. As far as Facebook, I have paranoid relatives who won't use it, even though I think it's neat to see pictures of my friends and relatives and former acquaintances on there. But I don't understand why people can't just sign up on facebook (it's a way for us to get people's names verified without making phone calls to everybody) then never use facebook if that is their desire. My take however is that anonymity is BAD; putting real names is tremendous.

Suzi Marshall 10 months, 1 week ago

Gary, linking to FB allows access into our personal information. The LJW is enable the goverment, through google to spy on Americans ... and then to persecute them if counter views to the administration are expressed. It is happening.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 1 week ago

Gary, with all due respect here, how is Brett McCabe any less anonymous than kingfisher? It's a name. He's not giving his address, phone number, place of employment, email address. No one's going to track him down. No one cares. There is no more accountability. His family probably doesn't peruse his comments. He could be Brett McCabe from Sacramento, or Brett McCabe from Chicago, or Brett McCabe from Moscow. It's anonymous.

And maybe you (or I) don't care if folks target market us, sell our personal information, data mine, etc., but many do. Many do not like such invasions of privacy. But the response is to simply poo-poo the concerns as if they are invalid.

Just as the LJW is free to do what it sees fit as a private company, folks are free to skip it all. And that, by and large, is what they have done. Your on-line basketball consumers have spoken.

Now, if that doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. It's the LJW's choice.

And what was so horrible that occurred on this website? Heck, you guys censored posts then, I'm sure you will now. No one threatened anyone. No one used vile language. No one caused a riot. And when I say "no one", it was very rare.

Free speech tends to take care of itself most of the time. The LJW has simply chosen a path the at limits discussion on its website. I guess that's a good business decision.

Joe Ross 10 months, 1 week ago

Jack (I presume), there is a gaping hole in your reasoning.

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

I don't mean to poo poo any concerns. That's why I have pointed out my sister is against Facebook and will not use it. Actually my brother won't use Facebook either. If people are concerned, they are concerned and I respect that. I myself don't care about stuff like that. I like Facebook cause I love catching up with old friends and it's a good way to do so. Some of my relatives say, "If I want to reconnect with somebody I'll call them." I disagree. You don't call somebody you sort of knew in high school; but you can talk to them off Facebook. Anyhow, I digress. I've been personally against anonymous internet posts forever. I was ahead of my time as finally in the last couple years news organizations have gotten rid of them and required people to identify themselves as they do in letters to the editor. As far as Brett McCabe instead of kingfisher? I think it's very significant. In this day and age I bet I can find the real Brett McCabe. I am willing to talk to Brett; I'm not willing to talk to kingfisher. I feel like we all must stand by our comments and that is by using a real name. Just my take.

Michael Luby 10 months, 1 week ago

+10 Anonymity is the secondary issue here. The issue at the heart of this problem is $$$. LJW wants more of it or maybe even needs more of it. Unfortunately it has compromised the integrity of this site and it will decline steadily as a result. Gary, Jesse, TK and Matt, you might find yourselves no longer posting on this website some day.

Joe Ross 10 months, 1 week ago

Jack (I presume), there is a gaping hole in your reasoning. RE: "He could be Brett McCabe from Sacramento, or Brett McCabe from Chicago, or Brett McCabe from Moscow. It's anonymous." If "Brett McCabe" and "kingfisher" are equally as anonymous as you suggest, then anonymity has not been compromised and there is no impetus to be upset about what amounts to be a lateral move by the LJW from screen names to real names. Just sayin'. For my part, I do not share your point-of-view that the two are equally as anonymous. I'm in the camp that doesn't like the move, but I agree with Brett's comments above when he says, "The real red herrings in all of this are the excuses used to not comment here." Truer words never spoken.

Eliott Reeder 10 months, 1 week ago

Interesting discussion here, and I'm glad you have joined it Gary. I, too, am sad to see this site and all of the commenting/message board use dying a slow death. I guess it will still get plenty of hits from everyone reading the articles, but I will certainly miss some of the more prolific posters. I definitely see both sides of this, and there have been several very salient points made. I hadn't thought about high profile people, ie politicians or celebs who might frequent this site and not want their real names provided. Or those who may risk getting in trouble at work for taking the time to write long posts on the clock. I have no problem divulging my identity because everyone in my life knows I am nuts about KU b-ball and that I waste half my life reading everything on this site. For those who are paranoid (like your handful of relatives, Gary) anything and everything you do is probably well-monitored by the NSA regardless, so I don't think posting on KUSports is going to make much difference between whether or not you end up in Guantanamo. And yet, on the other hand Gary, I don't think it is very hard to create a fake profile on Facebook, so anyone with a lick of internet sense can get back here and post anonymously regardless. So there goes your whole argument about the importance of using real names. I hope that many of the old regulars do just that. I, however, will continue to post under my real name, because I am lucky enough that it doesn't affect me one way or another. -Eliott (formerly known as KoolKeithFreeze)

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

Keith, I guess u are right. People I guess can sign up on Facebook with a fake name (I'm no Facebook expert), but if it's a weird name, Jesse will catch the person and ban him/her from the comments. Judging by the decrease in comments so far, I think probably 90 percent of people are not going to try to start a fake account just to post on here. I think most people will respect J-W's decision to ask for real names. Thus if they don't want to sign up on Facebook, they'll respect the J-W's wishes and not post here. ... Personally I think it could be fun if everybody signed up with their real names and we could have true discussions of KU sports. It's difficult to have a conversation with somebody with some name like "Hoopsfanatic from Mars." In fact I was unwilling to do so. Cause Hoopsfanatic from Mars might want to tear into me and I can't tear back into him. Now if a real person, Tom Reynolds, or somebody wants to discuss something, I'm definitely up for that. Like I said anonymity is bad; real names are TREMENDOUS (in my opinion).

Andrew Moore 10 months, 1 week ago

My two cents... I don't like the changes. Why can't you link to Facebook but allow people to use a username for displays? You could and have the Facebook "real" name that loads when users username was clicked. I don't like this change and am reluctant even to post this!

Also, I don't recognize the need to change anything. If it is to make money, just say so

Jesse Newell 10 months, 1 week ago

Two things for everyone:

1. This isn't a way to make money. If it was, we would tell everyone, just like we did with Google Surveys. We are using Facebook's tools for our own benefit. In fact, the main reason we are still housing our own comments (comments look just like they did in the past) is so that our information would not be accessible by Facebook.

2. Those uncomfortable with Facebook now have the option to verify real names without it. It should be at the bottom of the screen and will require someone from our office calling a phone number to verify your identity.

Alex Staley 10 months, 1 week ago

Jesse, since you bring it up, if you MUST keep the Google Survey (which I despise but understand your reasons), will you consider moving it up on the page? It is often placed underneath another ad in the center area of content. This means that users often have to scroll down a significant ways to complete it, and then scroll back up to read the content. It's unwieldy at best, and usually just downright annoying . Just the $.02 of someone who works on website user experience for a living....

Jay Reynolds 10 months, 1 week ago

I broke down and just set up a new facebook account (which I had deleted a couple years ago because it turned out most of my old "friends" had grown up to be obnoxious morons). Not tied to my former account here... I'm starting fresh!

Not that my opinion matters, but for the past 10 or so years I've been following it, ku sports has always been the most civil sports commenting group I've ever seen, so nothing was broken in the first place. Secondly, based on my own experience with facebook (and an occasional reading of espn.com comments) I think it's foolish to expect the supposed "non-anonymity" of facebook to keep people civil. I don't blame people for wanting privacy--it's far too easy for nutcases to look another poster up on fb and start slinging personal info around.

We'll see how it goes. Love the reporting you guys do, but the quality of the discussion is already better on the kubuckets board.

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

Jay, your facebook friends must be pretty wild if it's not reasonably "civil" discourse on there. I think putting one's real name definitely guarantees things not getting out of hand. When I am printing something and people know it's me, I definitely will be 'professional' or on my best behavior. Our names are our most precious commodity. Remember, Jesse just printed, "Those uncomfortable with Facebook now have the option to verify real names without it. It should be at the bottom of the screen and will require someone from our office calling a phone number to verify your identity."

Michael Luby 10 months, 1 week ago

Just the sheer number of posts about the FB link anonymity issue on this one article has proven our point.

This websites integrity has been irrevocably compromised.

I used to come here to learn about basketball and read about my favorite team. I learned more about the game from Jaybate, HEM, Slayr and all of the other knowledgeable people on this site that either wont or cant post on here due to the FB link, than half of the 4 main journalists on here.

Gary Bedore 10 months, 1 week ago

Those guys are welcome to come back as long as they use their real names. Welcome jaybate, HEM, Slayr. I don't know what you are talking about when you question 'integrity.' I'll stand up for my integrity and the integrity of all the guys on our staff every minute of every day.