Saturday, October 19, 2013

Jayhawks show 10K fans reluctance to run

Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins reaches wide to slap hand with fans following an open-practice scrimmage on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Unofficial box score

Three scrimmages of 10 minutes apiece

Blue team: Andrew Wiggins 21, Perry Ellis 17 points, Andrew White III 11, Tarik Black 8, Wayne Selden 8, Jamari Traylor 6, Naadir Tharpe 5.

Red team: Brannen Greene 10, Landen Lucas 10, Joel Embiid 7, Frank Mason 7, Conner Frankamp 6, Justin Wesley 4, Hunter Mickelson 2. Nobody else scored.

x-White and Traylor went to the Red team and Mason and Embiid to the Blue for the second scrimmage; Lucas played for the Blue team and Ellis, Black the Red in third scrimmage.

Leaders: Rebounds: Embiid, Black 8. Steals: White 3. Assists: Frankamp 3.

Kansas University’s basketball coaches have been encouraging their players — actually pleading with the players — to get the ball and run this preseason.

“We don’t run, though. Running is something you condition your brain to do every single time. We run when we want to run,” KU coach Bill Self lamented after three 10-minute scrimmages contested before a crowd of 10,000 fans Saturday morning in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Andrew Wiggins is the worst we have at that because if he feels like he can get something, he’ll take off. Sometimes he doesn’t,” Self added of the 6-foot-8 freshman guard who led the way with 21 total points.

Wiggins was the only Jayhawk to score in double figures in one session with 10 in the final period off 4-of-6 shooting, including 2-for-2 from three. He hit the game-winning trey, erasing a 20-19 deficit in the final seconds.

“He doesn’t understand when he runs, he stretches the defense, and we can play behind that. That is understanding and figuring it out,” Self added of Wiggins. “With he and Wayne (Selden) and Andrew White (III) on the wing and with ’Mari (Traylor) and Perry (Ellis), Tarik (Black) and those guys ... the way they run, I think this could be the quickest team we’ve had to get up and down the court. But we’ve got to do it every possession.”

Self said he hasn’t settled on a rotation this early, but some things became obvious during practices open to the media during coaches-clinic weekend. He really likes the Blue team (first-team) lineup of Naadir Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis and Tarik Black. And it appears at this time White, Traylor and Joel Embiid are in the plans for minutes.

“Naadir knows what we are doing. Frank (Mason) is figuring it out. Frank is talented, but Naadir has emerged as our starting point guard,” Self said of the junior floor leader. Freshmen Mason, Conner Frankamp and Selden all played some point Saturday.

Of 6-6 sophomore guard White, who scored 11 points with three steals, Self said: “I think he’s playing well. He does what he does. He took a couple of bad ones today. For the most part, he takes open shots, makes a decent percentage. He’s a good rebounder. He doesn’t make a lot of mental mistakes.”

As far as senior center Black, who along with freshman center Embiid had eight rebounds, Self said, “He’s great with our young guys. He hits on ’em every day, and he applauds ’em every time they hit back. It’s been fun to watch.”

Sophomore forward Ellis, who had 17 points and seven boards, has been impressive.

“Perry could easily be our leading scorer. He’s played great,” Self said. “He’s more confident. He’s matured. He wants, ‘Give me more; give me more (coaching).’ He’ll have a big year for us, I feel.”

Asked about freshman wing Greene, who had 10 points, including two threes, Self said: “He has labored as much as any of the newcomers in figuring out what we are doing. Brannen has done fine. What you guys see isn’t real because (you see) the guys playing in pickup games, and we see them in practice. He’s starting to get it. I thought today he did a couple of nice things.”

Self stressed that players are involved in a competitive situation.

Does he have a rotation in mind entering the Oct. 29 preseason opener against Pittsburg State?

“No, not really,” Self said. “I think Conner (two threes, three assists) will be so much better in two weeks than he is now. Frank will be so much better in two weeks than he is now. Joel will be so much better … Brannen Greene. I haven’t figured it out, but I do know there’s a core 5-6-7 I know who is going to play, and those other guys are fighting for minutes.”

10,000 fans on hand: There were no problems with fans storming the gates as they did at Late Night in the Phog.

“It’s a great crowd,” Self said. “Our fans are unbelievable.”

Recruits Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones were in attendance.

Self said KU didn’t hold an open scrimmage just because the country’s No. 1- and 5-ranked players are in town on official visits.

“The reason we did it primarily was because of the way Late Night ended with us not being able to get everybody in the building,” Self said. “It is pretty special knowing these people do turn out to watch their Jayhawks. I know for our guys that’s probably the primary reason why they love playing here so much, because of the love they receive from our fans.”

Gap apparent: Self was asked if there’s a gap between the returnees and the six freshmen: “I think from a talent standpoint there is a gap. Our new guys are talented,” he said. “From a knowledge standpoint there is a gap. Our new guys don’t know what they are doing. If we can get two veterans, or three veterans on the court at once, it makes it a lot easier for those young guys to play. We’re not going to look good if we have five newcomers out there. We need some stability. It’s always best if you have a point guard (veteran) and a big (veteran) because the bigs can coach the bigs and the point guard can coach the perimeter. There’s a gap, but it’s narrowing.”

He’s OK: Brannen Green went down hard after a dunk and appeared to tweak an ankle. Self said he was fine and not injured.

Smart on Wiggins: Oklahoma State standout Marcus Smart spoke about Wiggins-mania to USA Today.

“They are saying he is the best college player there is and he has not even played a game yet. Of course that hypes me up. It is all talk. He still has to put his shorts on one leg at a time like I do. It is all potential. I am not saying he can’t do it. But he has not done it yet,” Smart said.

After calling him a “great player,” Smart added: “I wouldn’t say he is overrated. I would just say there is a lot of pressure on him right now. He is under a microscope from the world that is bigger than anybody would think, bigger than he knows.”

To read the USA Today article, go to http://usat.ly/1aXCpUe

YouTube

KU open scrimmage highlights

Comments

Trace Stark 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Yet more smack talk out of Stillwater... Jan. 18th can't get here soon enough!!!

Bryce Landon 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't expect anything different from a punk who did cartwheels on our floor last season.

Aaron Paisley 11 months, 2 weeks ago

What did Marcus Smart say that makes him a punk? Did him saying that he's using the hype around Wiggins to motivate himself to prove that he's the best player make him a punk? Or was it him saying that Wiggins isn't overrated, but he's still someone who has yet to play a game of college basketball and has a lot of media pressure to live up to make him a punk? I'm just trying to figure what Smart said that isn't true.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Sounded like the cartwheels were the issue, not anything said.

Gary Bedore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

That's kinda harsh maybe, Bryce. I think he's actually a pretty good kid. He was just a freshman. I think it's pretty neat he's staying for a second season in this day and age of taking the money and running. You have the right to be mad at him for the cartwheel obviously, but all indications so far are he's a pretty nice kid.

Aaron Paisley 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If Self had really recruited Phil Forte (who's dad played football at KU), the Self would've had Smart and Forte.

Glen Miller 11 months, 1 week ago

What most people seem to forget is that he was injured and couldn't do workouts leading up to the draft last year. I live in Oklahoma and from what I've heard and read down here, that had more to do with it than anything. From what I understand he wanted to come out last year, but the injury derailed that. Not saying I'm right, but it all sounds pretty legit here in Tulsa.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this a money-making venture for you? Is this why you keep pimping it?

Brian Stoops 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's being "pimped" to get the community back together. So far, so good - every day more and more folks are popping up!

The site is not mine or Lulufulu85's and there is no money being made.

Stop on by and say "hi"!

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Good, then we can expect to never hear from you again?

Brian Stoops 11 months, 2 weeks ago

you seem pretty angry, Brett. relax.

Danny Hernandez 11 months, 2 weeks ago

This team is going to be pretty impressive......

And I like this site and don't plan on going anywhere soon

Chris Shaw 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't call Smart a punk. The guy is just defending his territory and doing what any competitor would do in that setting when asked those questions. It's not like Smart was seeking out to have those questions asked to him.

And...anybody who can do cartwheels like that who plays the game of basketball has my respect. I was court side when he did those turns and it was quite impressive. I like the fact Okie State isn't backing down. It's good for the league and the national exposure since the level of the teams drop off after The Pokes and The Jayhawks.

Great to see AWIII playing well. I am still very intrigued on how the Mason, Frankamp, Greene, and AWIII minutes turn out over the season and who possibly red-shirts.

Gary Bedore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I tend to agree with your stance, Chris. Also, I'm happy for Andrew White at this point being in Self's rotation plans. There's always a place for guys who work so hard and don't go running away at the first sign of adversity.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If they only run when they want to, they're far removed from the real student life we experienced-try some local restaurants, they should do the trick. Most former rats are joining www.KUBuckets.com men. So check it out for some friendly & familiar discussions.

Ryan Michael 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I tried using KuBuckets but I personally just can't stand the layout and color scheme... It just didn't appeal to me. On top of that there is no "live chat" function for commentary during games...

I actually work in IT, so I just decided to bite the bullet and make a site that had the features I wanted. It's based on vbulletin and has live-chat with integrated login for usernames etc. Support for blogs as well.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, i'm sure it's all personal preference, but for anyone interested check out www.jayhawklounge.com and see what you think.

It'll always be free, I have no intention of running ads, and I work in IT so I intend to add many features as we go. I also intend to link back to articles here at kusports. I just wanted a place where people could live chat and a solid forum. Hope that doesn't violate any rules here at kusports.

Chandler James 11 months, 2 weeks ago

boycott this site... www.kubuckets.com...high elite major, nuleafjayhawk and others whose comments are usually better than ljw writers articles.... sink this site

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why would I boycott a site that provides professional reporting and analysis? So I can go read a bunch of goofs complain about many, many, many things that they absolutely know nothing about?

I'm happy right here with real journalism, respectful discourse and a mostly "goof-free" comment section.

Gary Bedore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Brett. You are a gentleman and a scholar IMO.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Finally....somebody gets me! Keep up the good work Gary! I'm guessing that there are going to be about a million story lines this year with this team. The anticipation is killing me!

Suzi Marshall 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Gary, you should be alarmed by the attempts from all angles to barge into our private lives. None of us have any assurance from Googgle where the information collected on us will end up. Tapping into our FB private accounts should be as alarming to you as it is to many of us.

Brian Stoops 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The fact that Gary, you know the "professional reporter / analyst" is sticking up for a "goof" like Brett pretty much sums up the new direction of this site.

Aaron Paisley 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It means Gary's not dumb enough to publicly bite the hand that feeds and say anything that makes the World Co. look bad and put his job in jeopardy regardless of how he really feels about the change. I can't imagine any of the writers here were thrilled when they were informed of the change because they probably knew it was going drive a lot of regular commenters away. I wouldn't think the total traffic to this site was affected too much, because I'm sure there are plenty of people who come here to just read the articles, but I don't know how the total traffic numbers were affected.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 1 week ago

Yet his descriptive post above leaves something to be desired. Punks & pimps-please. Certainly we can be more "scholarly" than that.

Aaron Paisley 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Are people not allowed to comment on both sites? I don't agree with boycotting this sight because the reporters here are the ones closest to the program and can provide the best picture of the day to day aspects of the programs. It's unfortunate that because of stuff that happened on other World Co. sites that caused them to decide to go to this current format and drove away a lot of posters when KUSports had nothing to do with the decision and was just caught in the crossfire. That said, I will also be signing up at kubuckets sometime this week because I appreciate the insight and different POV's of guys like HEM and nuleaf bring to the table because those guys know their stuff and some of them have inside sources that LJW staffers may not have. There is good information that can be gained from both places because there are people on both sites who are very passionate about KU athletics and have good insight, knowledge, and sources. Anyone who cares about KU athletics would be foolish not to use both places (and any other sites dedicated to KU) to fill their need for all things KU.

Gary, keep up the good work along with the rest of the staff and I look forward to continuing to read you and the rest of the staff's coverage of KU everyday.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why would any online news entity silence there phenomenal fan base by making it a requirement to access their most personal information, regardless if it's facebook, twitter, or the man in the friggin' moon? You tell me? Money? The Fed Govt? (NSA) Make a sound rationale for limiting the amount of users that make hits on the site? After all, the reality is that it takes a very tiny amount of personal information to get screwed in this tech age. Makes no sense to me, unless it's part of a deal with Google fiber, or Comcast, or even a forced mandate from Uncle Sam.

Dan Pawlowski 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I disagree. I do not believe any of those you mentioned are better writers than the LJW staff. I am happy I no longer have to scroll past pages and pages of jaybate posts.

Chandler James 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Also check out Ryans site at www.jayhawklounge.com ...... Anywhere but here

Ryan Michael 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks Chandler... See you on the boards!

Ian Emerson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Does anyone remember Arkansas Forty Minutes of Hell offense? Do you all think Bill Self could condition this team to run like that? A problem I always thought came with Selfs teams around tournament time was that they were just so tired come late in the season. I think that this team is young and well conditioned enough to handle it though.

Justin Steele 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I really dont mind that my comments are linked to my facebook account and that my real name shows up. I dont see what the big deal is? if its something you don't like than you dont have to put up with it! I understand the need for trolls to hide behind a fake username but its not the end of the world and you wont be sinking this site because jaybate and nuleaf hawk and whoever else isnt commenting! the articles will still post and most peoples first reaction will be to come here! The internet is cool in that if theres something on there you dont like you just simply do not look at it! I really hope we have moved on from this by time the season starts so I dont have to go through a hunderd post advertising some awesome new blog being started daily, just want to drop my two cents about the boys and HCBS and read other peoples opinions on said subjects.

Jonny Swift 11 months, 1 week ago

Ya who cares about the Facebook thing. If you do care, just go use one of the other sites and get on with it. Let's discuss this year's team instead.

No one is really talking about Andrew White, but I've been really impressed with him after watching Late night and the scrimmage highlights. He looks like he really improved since last season. He's been Hudy-ized, put on a lot of bulk and looks and is playing much stronger. He is much more athletic - dunking a bunch (which we didn't see much at all of last year), going after steals, staying in front of his man on D, and sprinting all out more. He looks fast! His 3 point shot (while good last year) looks great so far, and although he sometimes takes ill-advised shots, he generally is pretty smart about it and makes a high percentage of his shots. He also looks like he is one of our top defenders early on (until another Andrew W starts to get it haha). But like I said, he's been staying in front of his man, pressuring the ball, and has the most steals from what I've seen so far, many of them finishing in fast break dunks. Basically - he looks like a Jayhawk!

I'm really excited to see what he can do this year. I was worried he wouldn't see many minutes and many are speculating he might redshirt, but after seeing these comments from Self, I'm sure he won't and it seems like he will get a decent amount of minutes backing up Wiggins and Selden on the wing. White is definitely one of the core 7 Self knows is going to get minutes early on: Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis, Black, Traylor, White (Yes, I don't think Embiid is on that list yet, but he will be by conference play). I expect 15-20 minutes a game from White and around 7-10 points (he averaged .45 points per minute last year, and I think the same is doable this year with his improvement, even with the additional minutes). What do you guys think?

Gary Bedore 11 months, 1 week ago

After watching Friday's practice and Saturday's scrimmages, it was great as you said, to see Andrew White producing. Got to root for kids who start slowly at a school, but make that vast improvement between their freshman and sophomore years. It's all up to Andrew to continue to play well when the bright lights are on in games, but it looks like he's in the real mix for minutes and that has to please him after all the work he's put in.

Woody Cragg 11 months, 1 week ago

Sinking this site is not an option, but discussions among passionate fans has certainly taken a huge step backwards here. Many guys just feel betrayed by LJW & you need to grasp the perspective why. This message board has up close reporting for sure, but some of the most knowledgeable contributors are no longer here. Personally I miss their wit mostly, so essentially there is a lot less to read. Copy is copy no matter where you get it. And some is better than others.

Scott Gruhn 11 months, 1 week ago

Gary, if you were at the practice, did you think that the players were reluctant to run? Or do you think Coach Self is trying to motivate them to run even more?