Thursday, October 17, 2013

KU men’s basketball No. 6 in USA Today preseason coaches poll

Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins laughs with his teammates on the bench during the Jayhawks' Late Night scrimmage, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas men's basketball team is ranked No. 6 in the USA Today preseason coaches poll released Thursday.

Kentucky is No. 1, followed by Michigan State, Duke, Louisville and Arizona. UK received 16 of 32 first-place votes, while Louisville grabbed 10 and Michigan State and Duke had three apiece.

Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 school ranked (No. 12), while Wichita State opens the season at No. 16.

The full rankings are below.

USA Today Preseason Coaches poll

20. New Mexico
  21. Wisconsin
  22. Notre Dame
  23. UCLA
  24. Indiana
  25. Virginia

Others receiving votes — Baylor 102; Colorado 93; Creighton 87; Iowa 86; Tennessee 73; Georgetown 38; Harvard 28; Pittsburgh 23; California 16; Boise State 11; Saint Louis 8; La Salle 7; Temple 4; Missouri 4; Villanova 4; Kansas State 3; LSU 2; Iowa State 2; Arizona State 2; Illinois 2; Georgia 1; UNLV 1.

Comments

Brianna Zaleski 1 year ago

Seems about right. High expectations but not unrealistic. Let Kentucky be the ones to bask/ wilt in the spotlight, whilst we plug along and get better. Cal already said his team should not lose a game. Can u ever hear Self talking about his team not losing a game? Or do we usually hear, this time of year, that there will be some growing pains, but come Jan or Feb, they should be pretty good... Cal is such a worm...

Walter Bridges 1 year ago

When a team has four legitimate future lottery picks and isn't in the preseason top five, it just shows you that this might be one of the most competitive and talented seasons in quite a while.

If you could take the five best players from our team and the five best from Kentucky (ugh.. I know the gag reflex wasn't limited to me) but I bet they would be a legitimate title contender within 3-4 years) and I think you could do the same with a couple of the other schools in this season's top 10.

Absolutely pure conjecture so be easy when I get swatted down.

Glen Miller 1 year ago

Might be a little high for early in the season and I suspect we will take some lumps in our non-con schedule. These rankings are based off of potiential more than anything which is why Kentucky is #1. I would think a Louisville team that pretty much returns everyone and won a National title would be #1 though. I suspect by tournament time, we will be battle hardened and scary good (barring injuries). Kentucky doesn't play near the schedule we do and the SEC in basketball is the exact opposite of football..... weak sauce. I hope we meet Kentucky in the championship and give them a beat down, I'm so sick of Kentucky fans talking about how they are this college basketball royalty and that they will go undefeated.

Bryce Landon 1 year ago

A team that couldn't even get past Robert Morris in the NIT should have to earn that #1 ranking, not be awarded it.

Walter Bridges 1 year ago

In the era of one and dones, this will probably become a more frequent occurrence.

If you look at the reverse where a team wins the national championship with mostly freshman and sophomore players and has the #1 incoming recruiting class, who could ever predict losing to Robert Morris in the first-round of the NIT?

The current trend in college ball is hurting the game. When you get the top 5 schools getting all the (mostly all) top players, what happens to players like Andrew White III, Brannen Greene and others who have the talent to develop into stars sitting on the bench watching the one and dones getting the majority of the starting time?

If it was me, I would just move on to a school who still believes (or has no choice) in developing players who normally would be highly sought after recruits.

At some point, why stay a college coach? You're already teaching players with NBA skills and the need to develop players doesn't nearly exist to the level it was in college - might as well get NBA money.

Ian Emerson 1 year ago

I see greatness in our team. Kentucky will be just like the Fab 5 and never win a championship. They compare this team too their championship team a few years ago but to be honest there is only one team that is comparable to that team and it the Kansas Jayhawks. What made that championship team so special wasn't only its stellar recruiting class but its seasoned returnees. While UKs team has a heavily stacked recruiting class its returnees are nowhere near as experienced and yes talented as KU's returnees. Withink KU you have two absolutely monster NBA draft prospects in AW and JE who believe me will be more sought after then any of UKs vaulted recruiting class. I still cannot escape the fact that while every players ultimate dream is to go into the NBA there are more players on KUs roster that ultimate want to bring a ship home. Dont forget that people we were saying we were a fringe top 25 team without AW, thats one hell of a chip to have when youre a KU team.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Amazing the parity in college hoops. This top 10 could be the same as 5-10 years ago with these ten jumbled up a little. It sure is good to be one of the 10.

Don't follow them too much, but Missouri got only four votes? They've dropped off quite a bit presumably. Good!

UCLA makes an appearance. Good!

For all of our much hyped schedule, we have four games against three teams ranked. Duke, Florida, OK State. Georgetown Colorado, KState, Baylor, Iowa St, and potentially Villanova (in the thanksgiving tourney) are those receiving votes who we play. Not too bad, but not nearly as stern a test as teams used to play like when I was at KU.

I think Kentucky is overrated after last seasons disaster. Sure they have recruits, but they did last year as well. But what do I know?

It'll take a while to remember who's playing in which conference. I was thinking there's a lot of Big East but remembered that some of them are ACC teams now. Where's GTown and Villanova now? I forget.

KU is right where an extremely talented but young team needs to be. It's not how you start the season, it's where you end it.

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

I think that GTown and Nova defected to whatever name they came up with for the "Catholic 7" All-basketball Conference.

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 1 year ago

Last year's USA preseason top ten (for comparison):

1. Indiana
  2. Louisville
  3. Kentucky
  4. Ohio State
  5. Michigan
  6. North Carolina State
  7. Kansas
  8. Duke
  9. Syracuse
  10. Florida

NCState and Indiana have fallen hard.

Casey Osburn 1 year ago

We're not #6 right now. We lost all 5 starters. It will take a month or two to become a top 10 team. #6 is waaaaaaaay too high.

Even more of a joke is Kentucky at #1. A team that lost in the first round of the NIT last season is the #1 team in the country? These pre-season polls are beyond meaningless.

Mark Lindrud 1 year ago

I am more astonished by KY being number 1 than us at 6. Louisville has plenty of talent leftover and should be #1. Either way the preseason polls don't mean a lot. Keep this in mind though, Louisville, Syracuse and Michigan were in the final four last year so it is fairly accurate on who is being considered as a final four contender.

1 year ago

Let everyone play a few games and let's see how this list changes. Should be interesting this year.

Robin Smith 1 year ago

ATTN LJW: just some anecdata feedback from one particular poster

I get most of my news elsewhere on the internet and usually before this site has written it up. I used to frequent these articles primarily to read the extensive comments by the community of posters. I read the articles and I like them a great deal, sure -- I can't get enough KU talk, but the main motivation in picking this particular site to visit was for the community of commenters.

I'm sure I'm not normal for a casual fan or many others who have different habits of surfing, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Where's Jaybate and HEM and the others? Even if they are here, they've now become strangers to me. It's like there was a show here that we all regularly tuned into and you killed off most of the characters.

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

Two writers have emailed me in response to some of my similar complaints and they are content to let this be the new status quo. We are being punished because people on LJW's other platforms don't behave. It really sucks for sure. Not sure if I'll start losing interest here.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Other platforms?! You have got to be f$%king kidding me LJW. What ever money or other perceived benefit you are getting from this, I hope you choke on it. I realize my post will be deleted/censured. But, I dont care. People will see it and most will agree. I am sorry I had to resort to working class expletives to get my point across.

I hereby call on everyone to BOYCOTT this site. Let us stop posting here on all articles. The Bleacher Report has a post reply that is not linked with FB. I intend on frequenting that blog more often. Who is with me?

Steve Gantz 1 year ago

By platforms I just meant their other pages that people comment on.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Dead on. This is absolutely rediculous. LJW, you should be ashamed.

Rodney Crain 1 year ago

All I was as upset as most of you till something quite simple came to me and today I was able to find a simple painless way to rejoin the comment section here. Although I concur with many comments about the FB issue, I know that in confirming this with staff this was not going to change. They even think the level of comments are at a much more meaningful and desirable level with their new FB tie in. Give it a little thought and you will be able to rejoin the comment element, without losing or sharing something you do not wish to. I hope to see many of my past favorite commenters here like Jaybate, HEM and others soon.

Olli Rama 1 year ago

Yeah, this is crap. I wonder if Marquel Combs knew about this before the rest of us.

I am definitely losing interest. The content is okay. The comments were priceless. LJW FAIL!

Here’s hoping a full boycott can be arranged. Power to the posters!!!

dynamitehawk 1 year ago

Sweet. Not really caring if the community here knows my profile, but do care about about the people who don't know me. Please disassociate me from this profile ASAP.

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

D-I think you have to create a new account if you want to get rid of your old alias.

Woody Cragg 1 year ago

6? Wow breaking news men, even reruns would top this. I agree, most news is somewhere else before here. so why read this one if all the witty posters are gone? OakV, DSlayr, JB, HEMajor, & many more have all just seemed to vanish. These guys always gave us a different perspective & allowed us to digest & digress as point/counterpoint BB fans. Facts are, most of us aren't that BB savvy & if generic, boring copy is the only reason to visit this site, why bother-we can do that anywhere without allowing access to personal information via fbook. If LJW doesn't wise up soon, there will be fewer & fewer readers daily going forward. About 50% have been about the site change for most of a week now & I'm personally weary of it, my board rat days are just about done here too. Is a crying shame LJW is limiting this extraordinary Jayhawks fanbase into a virtual silence. And I do mean extraordinary.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

Brian Stoops 1 year ago

This board has turned anemic (NO offense to those who continue to post).

Infact, kudos to all you folks who are trying to keep this community afloat.

It's sad that in the grand scheme of the business that is the Lawrence Journal World - KUSports.com, and the community that follows it religiously, has little relevance to the powers that be.

Personally, It's difficult to sit back and watch something that I've gotten so much enjoyment from evaporate over night.

The google adds are annoying but tolerable.

The facebook debacle is a game changer.

As Robin stated earlier, we can get news about Kansas basketball in lots and lots of places.

The question now is, Where can we get Jaybate, HEM, and the rest of the old crew's input and banter?

Maybe someone tech savvy can start a free online forum.......

Brian Stoops 1 year ago

......until that day comes - I've come up with an immediate solution.

Jaybate, shoot me an email anytime you're in the mood to talk Kansas basketball. As a matter of fact, shoot me an email anytime you're in the mood to talk about anything interesting.

To the best of my knowledge, anybody - with any name, can create a yahoo / hotmail / gmail account.

stoops@wisc.edup>stoops@wisc.edu>

Brian Stoops 1 year ago

p>www.kubuckets.com

Thanks to Keith for setting this up.

Brian Stoops 1 year ago

not sure what the p> is doing there. wow, flashback to stats class.

i'm sure it goes without saying, but that is not part of the web address.

one more time:

www.kubuckets.com

Jonathan Allison 1 year ago

the p> is a piece of broken html. likely a glitch in the commenting system.

Michael Luby 1 year ago

who ever figures that out. please make it known here. Id love to take part. - Lulufulu85

Doug Cramer 1 year ago

I like the idea of everyone having their names on the board. Too many mommies basement introverts that come in here and rip others behind their computers.

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

But since you are a grown man, You know to not pay attention to the "mommies introverts" and digest the information that you deem quality. Why do peoples given names and surnames really matter?

Walter Bridges 1 year ago

Well Doug... when you live in an age with everything you say is recorded and stored somewhere, what's so bad about a little anonymity? I don't often see people coming in here and attacking others, I do see people attacking the opinion of others which is an entirely different thing.

Maybe we should make everything public? I'm sure the lack of privacy wouldn't affect the way people vote. Do we really need Dr./patient confidentiality? Let's just all be open all the time.

Keith Kienzle 1 year ago

I've set up a place for anyone who can't do the Facebook thing. It's still coming together, but if you'd like to check it out you can at http://www.kubuckets.com

Ron Franklin 1 year ago

Your account will probably be deleted now.

Waylon Cook 1 year ago

Yesterday I heard here in Tulsa(by an actual columnist I respect) that KU fans were "scared" that OSU had the talent to beat us.

Trust me I am still sleeping at night...............................

KU is ranked about where needed and we will see how good we are against Whiny Coach K and crew soon.

But the streak DOESN'T end this year folks.

Chandler James 1 year ago

Dont care if my account gets deleted. www.kubuckets.com ..... wanna find high elite major and nuleafjayhawk and all the guys we like hearing from. Heck that half the time give better insight than the ljw writers.... start posting on that site and tell ljw to go f themselves.. Hopefully the lose all their readers and rot in hell