Thursday, October 17, 2013

KU men’s basketball No. 6 in USA Today preseason coaches poll

Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins laughs with his teammates on the bench during the Jayhawks' Late Night scrimmage, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas men's basketball team is ranked No. 6 in the USA Today preseason coaches poll released Thursday.

Kentucky is No. 1, followed by Michigan State, Duke, Louisville and Arizona. UK received 16 of 32 first-place votes, while Louisville grabbed 10 and Michigan State and Duke had three apiece.

Oklahoma State is the only other Big 12 school ranked (No. 12), while Wichita State opens the season at No. 16.

The full rankings are below.

USA Today Preseason Coaches poll

20. New Mexico
  21. Wisconsin
  22. Notre Dame
  23. UCLA
  24. Indiana
  25. Virginia

Others receiving votes — Baylor 102; Colorado 93; Creighton 87; Iowa 86; Tennessee 73; Georgetown 38; Harvard 28; Pittsburgh 23; California 16; Boise State 11; Saint Louis 8; La Salle 7; Temple 4; Missouri 4; Villanova 4; Kansas State 3; LSU 2; Iowa State 2; Arizona State 2; Illinois 2; Georgia 1; UNLV 1.

Comments

Chandler James 6 months ago

Dont care if my account gets deleted. www.kubuckets.com ..... wanna find high elite major and nuleafjayhawk and all the guys we like hearing from. Heck that half the time give better insight than the ljw writers.... start posting on that site and tell ljw to go f themselves.. Hopefully the lose all their readers and rot in hell

Mssa Osixoseven 6 months, 1 week ago

I am excited to see what this team can do and tend to agree, the rest of the Big 12 is just not yet to our level although OSU will be a tough match-up and a tough out in the Big 12 or any other tournament

Ralster Jayhawk 6 months, 1 week ago

I've tried to come back on here to discuss with knowledgeable regulars, but I dont see them.

Some points to consider:

1) Human nature: Someone at LJW wants to be obstinate in keeping the new "status quo" and not lose face, admitting they're wrong. (No loss of face, as we dont know who's decision it was, nor do we care really...its the product that has sufferred.) Just for discussion: "wrong" is defined as loss of over 50% of your participation. The ongoing threads got people to visit the SAME story repeatedly, and you also lost those repeated 'hits' on the surveys and all the pop-up ads. Question: Is that a mktg blunder, big brother?

2) What if for professional reasons, someone may not want their actual name out on the www in a manner they cannot control. Many alums may be in professional positions where we wish to control what we do with our time, even if at work. Time stamped post (while someone at "work") could become a topic of discussion for somebody. Anonymity protected that. I know for a fact that Jaybate and Oakville are KU professional school grads and any esteemed professional must consider their own personal big picture. For sake of debate, you can say "its their choice", but then is it ok for these boards that they (& HEM & others) are muzzled?

3) What if someone has an ethnic name? And they dont want to post for pvt reason?

4) The oxymoron that exists by having a news organization ("freedom of the press", right?), tell us we must exercise our 1st amendment right in EXACTLY (whatever) manner is simply somebody's narrowminded obstinacy. Nothing more. It sure does not feel like the modern United States...

5) The comparison of content and demeanor under kusports stories is absolutely in NO way comparable to the total filth that you can find posted under YouTube videos, for example. I would let my 14yr old son read LJW comments. I would NOT allow him to read YouTube comments, period. Y'all lost your perspective--> you already were in a "bubble" of decency.

6) Already had a method for "suggesting removal", or even sanctioning/deleting the repeat-offense poster. Mostly, those guys were trolls/hecklers anyway. I agreed with specific line-item censorship, or troll deletion, because that made direct sense, but not this.

7) This has truly hurt a segment of the KU community that frequented this site.

8) What if someone is NOT on facebook? Many people over the age of (whatever) are NOT on facebook...newsflash...

9) This seems so much like that flap the Topeka school board got caught in a discussion about only a few years ago...all you can say, is: "only in Kansas" (would a decision like this happen). This wouldnt happen in many other parts of the country.

Im only here looking for my hobby/fave pasttime of discussing with other regulars, if I dont see them back, I wont be either. I'll remain the judge on my involvment with all this. (just food for thought)

Waylon Cook 6 months, 1 week ago

Yesterday I heard here in Tulsa(by an actual columnist I respect) that KU fans were "scared" that OSU had the talent to beat us.

Trust me I am still sleeping at night...............................

KU is ranked about where needed and we will see how good we are against Whiny Coach K and crew soon.

But the streak DOESN'T end this year folks.

Ron Franklin 6 months, 1 week ago

Your account will probably be deleted now.

Mssa Osixoseven 6 months, 1 week ago

To everyone complaining about the facebook thing, yes it is annoying but yes it took me, an extremely behind the times not tech savvy individual less than ten minutes to figure out how to create a facebook and email that bear no relation to me whatsoever and post here. I am formerly Mssa0607, I did not post a lot under that but as you can see, I'm still here and identifiable.

Keith Kienzle 6 months, 1 week ago

I've set up a place for anyone who can't do the Facebook thing. It's still coming together, but if you'd like to check it out you can at http://www.kubuckets.com

Doug Cramer 6 months, 1 week ago

I like the idea of everyone having their names on the board. Too many mommies basement introverts that come in here and rip others behind their computers.

Ralster Jayhawk 6 months, 1 week ago

Hopefully Duke is ranked higher than KU when we meet them (let them wear the target!). Duke will get thumped. RCJH.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 6 months, 1 week ago

SLU should be included.
I guarantee that SLU will be a better team than Arizona.

Brian Stoops 6 months, 1 week ago

This board has turned anemic (NO offense to those who continue to post).

Infact, kudos to all you folks who are trying to keep this community afloat.

It's sad that in the grand scheme of the business that is the Lawrence Journal World - KUSports.com, and the community that follows it religiously, has little relevance to the powers that be.

Personally, It's difficult to sit back and watch something that I've gotten so much enjoyment from evaporate over night.

The google adds are annoying but tolerable.

The facebook debacle is a game changer.

As Robin stated earlier, we can get news about Kansas basketball in lots and lots of places.

The question now is, Where can we get Jaybate, HEM, and the rest of the old crew's input and banter?

Maybe someone tech savvy can start a free online forum.......

Woody Cragg 6 months, 1 week ago

6? Wow breaking news men, even reruns would top this. I agree, most news is somewhere else before here. so why read this one if all the witty posters are gone? OakV, DSlayr, JB, HEMajor, & many more have all just seemed to vanish. These guys always gave us a different perspective & allowed us to digest & digress as point/counterpoint BB fans. Facts are, most of us aren't that BB savvy & if generic, boring copy is the only reason to visit this site, why bother-we can do that anywhere without allowing access to personal information via fbook. If LJW doesn't wise up soon, there will be fewer & fewer readers daily going forward. About 50% have been about the site change for most of a week now & I'm personally weary of it, my board rat days are just about done here too. Is a crying shame LJW is limiting this extraordinary Jayhawks fanbase into a virtual silence. And I do mean extraordinary.

Robin Smith 6 months, 1 week ago

ATTN LJW: just some anecdata feedback from one particular poster

I get most of my news elsewhere on the internet and usually before this site has written it up. I used to frequent these articles primarily to read the extensive comments by the community of posters. I read the articles and I like them a great deal, sure -- I can't get enough KU talk, but the main motivation in picking this particular site to visit was for the community of commenters.

I'm sure I'm not normal for a casual fan or many others who have different habits of surfing, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Where's Jaybate and HEM and the others? Even if they are here, they've now become strangers to me. It's like there was a show here that we all regularly tuned into and you killed off most of the characters.

6 months, 1 week ago

Let everyone play a few games and let's see how this list changes. Should be interesting this year.

Casey Osburn 6 months, 1 week ago

We're not #6 right now. We lost all 5 starters. It will take a month or two to become a top 10 team. #6 is waaaaaaaay too high.

Even more of a joke is Kentucky at #1. A team that lost in the first round of the NIT last season is the #1 team in the country? These pre-season polls are beyond meaningless.

Steve Gantz 6 months, 1 week ago

Amazing the parity in college hoops. This top 10 could be the same as 5-10 years ago with these ten jumbled up a little. It sure is good to be one of the 10.

Don't follow them too much, but Missouri got only four votes? They've dropped off quite a bit presumably. Good!

UCLA makes an appearance. Good!

For all of our much hyped schedule, we have four games against three teams ranked. Duke, Florida, OK State. Georgetown Colorado, KState, Baylor, Iowa St, and potentially Villanova (in the thanksgiving tourney) are those receiving votes who we play. Not too bad, but not nearly as stern a test as teams used to play like when I was at KU.

I think Kentucky is overrated after last seasons disaster. Sure they have recruits, but they did last year as well. But what do I know?

It'll take a while to remember who's playing in which conference. I was thinking there's a lot of Big East but remembered that some of them are ACC teams now. Where's GTown and Villanova now? I forget.

KU is right where an extremely talented but young team needs to be. It's not how you start the season, it's where you end it.

Joan Kalivoda 6 months, 1 week ago

Looks like pretty good, hope Kansas can show that they are worth the ranking. Kentucky does belong at the top spot with their top recruiting class that just came in a long with last years players. Kentucky did have a bad year, kinda looked like Kansas did against TCU.

Ian Emerson 6 months, 1 week ago

I see greatness in our team. Kentucky will be just like the Fab 5 and never win a championship. They compare this team too their championship team a few years ago but to be honest there is only one team that is comparable to that team and it the Kansas Jayhawks. What made that championship team so special wasn't only its stellar recruiting class but its seasoned returnees. While UKs team has a heavily stacked recruiting class its returnees are nowhere near as experienced and yes talented as KU's returnees. Withink KU you have two absolutely monster NBA draft prospects in AW and JE who believe me will be more sought after then any of UKs vaulted recruiting class. I still cannot escape the fact that while every players ultimate dream is to go into the NBA there are more players on KUs roster that ultimate want to bring a ship home. Dont forget that people we were saying we were a fringe top 25 team without AW, thats one hell of a chip to have when youre a KU team.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 1 week ago

A team that couldn't even get past Robert Morris in the NIT should have to earn that #1 ranking, not be awarded it.

Charles Logan 6 months, 1 week ago

The only question I have, is KU gonna be an up tempo Run & Gun team? Scoring 80-90 points per game, or are they going to pass, pass, pass their way to 60-70 points per game? Wink, wink....I hate the low scoring games. They are usually too close for comfort. :)

Charles Logan 6 months, 1 week ago

If KU's big men play well it's a wrap!..... National Champs! Even if we have Bucknell, Northern Iowa, Bradley, VCU, and Kentucky in our side of the bracket!...... But yeah don't list KU as #1! LOL

Glen Miller 6 months, 1 week ago

Might be a little high for early in the season and I suspect we will take some lumps in our non-con schedule. These rankings are based off of potiential more than anything which is why Kentucky is #1. I would think a Louisville team that pretty much returns everyone and won a National title would be #1 though. I suspect by tournament time, we will be battle hardened and scary good (barring injuries). Kentucky doesn't play near the schedule we do and the SEC in basketball is the exact opposite of football..... weak sauce. I hope we meet Kentucky in the championship and give them a beat down, I'm so sick of Kentucky fans talking about how they are this college basketball royalty and that they will go undefeated.

Brianna Zaleski 6 months, 1 week ago

Seems about right. High expectations but not unrealistic. Let Kentucky be the ones to bask/ wilt in the spotlight, whilst we plug along and get better. Cal already said his team should not lose a game. Can u ever hear Self talking about his team not losing a game? Or do we usually hear, this time of year, that there will be some growing pains, but come Jan or Feb, they should be pretty good... Cal is such a worm...