Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Notebook: Wiggins hyped as top baller, brand

Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins laughs with his teammates on the bench during the Jayhawks' Late Night scrimmage, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University freshman guard Andrew Wiggins is the No. 1-ranked college basketball player in the country entering the 2013-14 season, according to CBSsports.com.

Wiggins, 6-foot-8 from Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, beat out runner-up Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State in the website’s list of the country’s top 100 players, released on Tuesday.

“Wiggins is projected as the consensus No. 1 pick of next June’s NBA Draft. So he’s only spending one year in college. And, as you can see by this ranking, he’s expected to have a terrific season and maybe lead Kansas to a 10th-straight Big 12 title,” wrote CBSsports.com’s Gary Parrish.

Creighton’s Doug McDermott is third, followed by Louisville’s Russ Smith, Kentucky’s Julius Randle, Duke’s Jabari Parker, Michigan State’s Gary Harris, Ohio State’s Aaron Craft, Arizona State’s Jahii Carson and Arizona’s Aaron Gordon.

KU’s Joel Embiid is 28th and Wayne Selden 31st.

Sneaker talk: KU’s Wiggins figures to be a rich man shortly after the end of the 2013-14 season. Bleacher Report writes Tuesday that as basketball’s next “chosen one,” Wiggins is ticketed to land a shoe contract in the vicinity of $140 to $180 million over 10 years. He can’t negotiate a deal, of course, until he declares for the NBA following his one-and-done season. As an amateur, he — as well as his family members — cannot negotiate with agents.

Bleacher Report says Adidas has “pegged Wiggins as their prime target and would be willing to open up the bank for him.”

Nike may or may not make an offer, considering it has lucrative deals with LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant. Sports Business Daily says each of them earn between $10 and $20 million a year. Also, the company may not want to risk angering those players by making Wiggins its No. 1 client.

Bleacher Report says Chicago’s Derrick Rose has a 13-year deal with Adidas worth at least $185 million. Other companies likely to bid for Wiggins: Under Armour, which has Stephen Curry as a client; Li-Ning, which has Dwyane Wade; and Anta, which has Rajon Rondo.

Bleacher Report says, “interested companies will begin mocking up sneaker designs — and even prototypes — to present to Wiggins next spring, if he declares for the draft.”

The good news for KU is a source close to Wiggins’ family told Bleacher Report that his mom, Marita Payne-Wiggins, “has shut all the agents down” and won’t allow them to pitch their services.

Pokes’ coach pokes fun at Wiggins: The Oklahoman said OSU coach Travis Ford was “having some fun” when commenting on the highly hyped Wiggins this week.

“Kansas is still the favorite (in Big 12),” Ford said. “Wiggins is, from what I understand, the best player to ever play. I’ve seen him play and he’s really good. They’re still the No. 1 team and should be. They’ve got tons of talent, they’ve got depth, they’ve got the best player to ever play at Kansas and that’s a pretty good deal.”

Oubre tweets prospects: Rivals.com’s No. 12-ranked player in the Class of 2014, Kelly Oubre, who recently committed to KU, is hoping No. 1-ranked Jahlil Okafor and No. 5 Tyus Jones ultimately join him as Jayhawks next season.

He Tweeted “Bucket Team let’s get it,” at the duo on Oct. 10. Okafor and Jones will be making official visits to KU this weekend. They also have Duke, Baylor and Kentucky on their lists.

Vaughn postpones BU trip: No. 7 Rashad Vaughn, a 6-5 senior teammate of Oubre at Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nevada, is postponing a visit to Baylor this weekend, SNY.tv reports. Vaughn will make his first official visit to Iowa State on Nov. 17. He’ll visit UNLV on Nov. 25. He’s also planning trips to KU, Arizona and North Carolina with Minnesota still a possibility.

Withey mania: New Orleans Pelicans rookie center Jeff Withey has received some positive press since Sunday’s performance against Atlanta in which he scored six points with six rebounds and a block in 10 minutes. The New Orleans Times- Picayune says he out-performed starting center Greg Stiemsma and backup center/forward Arinze Onuaku, who combined to score four points.

“When I got on the floor I made the most of it and played like I know how,” former KU pivot Withey told the Times-Picayune.

“He’s still learning how to play in our system,” coach Monty Williams told the paper. “He wants to go help (defense) all the time. That can get you in trouble, especially if you come help from the wrong spot. But I liked his activity and I wished he could have finished that one dunk (he missed) when Brian (Roberts) missed a shot. Like most guys, he’s going to be up and down. He’s got to keep working and he does that.”

Rush not ready to go yet: Former KU wing Brandon Rush of the Utah Jazz will have his surgically-repaired knee re-evaluated on Oct. 26, the Deseret News reports. He was cleared for contact in September but has not yet been cleared for 5-on-5 scrimmaging.

Comments

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Not surprizing that Adidas offers Wiggs this much money? I think Jaybates theory about the NBA, big Shoe Co's and the AAU basketball circuit holds some water. Hopefully Jaybate is still lurking around here somewhere. This link to FB seems to be keeping a lot of bloggers away from this site. It seems also that FB has its hand a monopoly of sports and news websites now, with yahoo, cnn, bleacher report and now the ku sports.com getting linked. But I digress.

I like what OSU coach Ford said about Wiggs but I dont really think he is the best player at KU since forever with names like Chamberlain, Manning, Pierce hanging from the rafters.

One last thing. Go Withey!! and, Get back on the court soon Rush!

Rock Chalk

Ron Franklin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Jaybate is still lurking, as are HEM, and Oakville. They just need to man up and get a facebook account under the names Ron Burgandy, Brian Fantana, and Brick Tamland and start bringing the goods back to this station. If they cannot, Jaybate would want us all to 'get better' at posting and man up so this site still kicks ace.

But of course, the shoespiracy is real. What I cannot understand is how Wiggins still gets the hype as the #1 player, but he's not even the #1 player on this team. Does it all come down to athleticism....

Brianna Zaleski 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I think he was being a little snarky with the Wiggins comments. I didn't take it as complimentary. I think T. Ford is a little butt hurt that everyone is talking about KU and Wiggins, when this was supposed to be his and M. Smart's year.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Travis's comment came off as "Why in the heck are you asking me about Kansas?"

While I would likely feel the same way, most other Big 12 coaches at least bite the bullet and make a decent, respectful comment about KU and Bill Self when asked about Kansas.

Bill Self will use this comment by Ford as ammunition this season.

Brad Farha 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I would love to hear the audio clip. Without that, it's hard to determine tone and context. That said, it does sound a little disingenuous.

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah I can see that too. Oh well, can't win 'em all can you Coach Ford?

Ron Prichard 10 months, 2 weeks ago

From the yahoosports article: "he's also the most highly touted draft prospect since Greg Oden and Kevin Durant dominated discussion in the fall of 2006." Looking back it is interesting how completely different tracks those two players have taken. Oden is pretty much an afterthought and Durant could be the best player in the game right now next to James. It just goes to show how much of a crapshoot it is with these players.

Wiggins could end up being the mega-star all of us hope he will be, or he could end up spending several nondescript years in the NBA as a promising but unfulfilled talent. The thing that worries me the most about this coming year is that Wiggins could have a very solid year (15 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg) but not a "superstar" type year and people will wonder if Self can manage a top-tier OAD correctly. Then future recruiting of the top tier talent will take a hit.

In my opinion, we really need for Wiggins to have a stellar season (17-20 ppg) in order to keep up the recruiting momentum that has been building over the last 12-18 months. If Embiid or Selden also have solid years and end up in the lottery or just outside the lottery that would definitely help as well.

Aaron Paisley 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It wasn't really that big of a crapshoot with Oden and Durant. Oden had a lot of red flags about his knees coming out of school, but the NBA was still of the mindset that when you have two players with similar talent (and yes Oden was that good when healthy), take the big man. The way the NBA game has shifted in the past few years though, you have that draft now and Portland takes Durant and Seattle (at the time) takes Oden because the NBA has gone more towards the dominant playmaker on the wing instead of the rock in the post.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I considered DRose and Beasly to be similar talents and the Bulls took the little guy instead of the big guy. Generally it's true what you wrote, but there are exceptions. As a Bulls fan, and of course a KU fan, I wanted them to take Beasley. I'd seen him do some amazing things and wasn't convinced Rose was the megastar he became.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Rose definitely helped to turn the tide in the way of the perimeter playmaker.

Chris Shaw 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I find the whole Li Ning brand associated with Dwayne Wade fascinating and intriguing. I saw yesterday that he he had a contract with this chinese brand,but it's still very interesting to me. I had no idea. I actually like the name Anta better that is associated with Rondo even though I despise Rondo.

I hope Wiggins doesn't struggle like Harrison Barnes did at UNC his freshman. College is a totally different game than the NBA. The NBA allows for more space and gaps to be creative with your moves and sometimes long gifted athletes like Harrison Barnes or potentially Wiggins can get bottled up with their "Space" in the college game. I think Lance Stephenson is another example of not doing well in college, his draft stock fell, but now he is flourishing.

IMO, the only way Wiggins becomes a Wilt Chamberlain or Danny Manning Legend at Kansas is if he puts up Kevin Durant like numbers and wins a championship. Although, I sure hope he puts up B-MAC numbers, hits a big shot and becomes Mario Legend.

I am really rooting for Withey. I think coach Monty Williams will find that Withey isn't flashy and you'll second guess his athleticism, but his length and the way he uses it is quite impressive.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Nice Post, Shaw. I don't see Wiggins putting up the numbers with the Balance that this team has. It sounds like he's having some troubles plugging himself in, as did McLemore. I suggested a few months back he and Perry will probably average 14-15 a game and would be the top scorers. But if Frankamp cannot learn to get his shot off a little quicker this year, and Joel can't stay on the floor due being 'soft' as Self subtly suggested then there might be more individual scoring to go around than I am thinking.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Good point. This team figures to have a lot of balance... unless it doesn't... what, with all of the freshman and all.

I like your prediction that Ellis will lead all scorers, but I expect Wiggins to make that a tough competition. I think they both average around 15 a game. Tharpe and Selden should be in the 10-13 range. I figure Black and Embiid to split time and split points at 8-10 ppg. What will we get from Traylor, Lucas, White, Green, Frankamp, Mason? Probably about a total of 10, no more than 15 ppg between the 6

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Of course I'd love to see Wiggins do what you described, but I won't place a OAD up there in the rafters with the other KU greats who stayed on campus long enough for us to get to know them.

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Well said Bigman, If on the off chance, Wiggs signs with a brand shoe like Anta or Li Ning, I would certainly think about getting a pair, and I don't own basketball shoes, Im 5'4".
I don't see Wiggins having a frosh season like Barnes did. KU's system is built for Wigs. I think he has a season like Ben did last year, but I hope he doesn't disappear from games late in the season. I think C.S. will have him primed and ready to take over games by then, when necessary of course.
Im all over the Withey band wagon. Id love to see him be the 2nd string Center. How Ironic it would be to have Withey and Davis playing on the court, at the same time, on the same team? Both guys are stellar help defenders and shot blockers. Talk about a young but talented tough front court.
I didn't really like Anthony Davis when he was a UK, for obvious reasons but to think of Withey and Davis playing together is pretty cool considering they both averaged over 4 blocks a piece per game.

Aaron Paisley 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It's amazing what a coaches reputation does for player expectations. Go look at the actual numbers and you'll see that Barnes and McLemore had near identical numbers as freshmen. Barnes averaged 16-6-2 as a freshman and McLemore average 16-5-2 last year. If Wiggins puts up the same numbers as Barnes did, Wiggins will have had a very good year. Bill Self's system is not designed for someone to come in and average 23 a game which was pretty much the expectations on Barnes because of Roy's system. If Wiggins averages in that neighborhood that Barnes did as a freshmen and Ben did last year, KU will have a very successful season because they won't be dependent upon one guy to handle the scoring load this year.

Jesse Johnson 10 months, 2 weeks ago

BMac had way better percentages than Barnes though. I just looked it up and Barnes was 42 and 35 for FG, 3FG respectively whereas BMac was 50 and 42. Barnes was a volume shooter, taking tons of his teams shots, while only scoring the same amount BMac did in much fewer shots.

Brianna Zaleski 10 months, 2 weeks ago

exactly. UNC, on avg, scores more pts than a team like KU. So the fact that they had near identical numbers shows Barnes under-preformed when compared to BMac.

Brad Farha 10 months, 2 weeks ago

He does. I hope his family stays true to the comments above, that they are keeping the agents at bay. My fear is some distant relative will 'act on his behalf' without Andrew's knowledge and screw up his eligibility.

Steve Corder 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Brad, that's not going to happen.

Jack Wilson 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Seriously, the whole Wiggins-hype thing is out of control. The top player in the country before even stepping on the Court? Count me as one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd. I'm not a Travis Ford fan, but his sarcasm was right on point.

To demonstrate the silliness of CBS's venture here, looking at the top 100 college players, does anyone really think that Joel Embiid at #28 will be a better college player this year than Perry Ellis, who is not even in the top 100?

Obvious question: Does the out of control Wiggins-hype help this team by deflecting attention, or does it cause subtle resentment?

My first impression is that it's likely not a negative because of the composition of our non-freshmen - Ellis has the personality that doesn't care (really humble and quiet), Tharpe isn't a star-type anyway, White didn't play last season much, and Black is an under the radar transfer. If Wiggins came in, for example, with last season's team, it might have been a mess.

Hopefully this stuff will dial down a bit.

Personally, I'm a lot more interested in the Frankamp/White/Greene battle and would rather hear about that, as opposed to hearing about how great Wiggins is all the time.

Jason Keller 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Travis Ford is a funny little midget. KU will not lose a game to Oklahoma State and you can take that to the bank. Ford has said way to much over the last year or so about KU basketball, he did his guys no favors. Playing them is going to be like playing K-State where no matter what we win.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm only 5'7" so I find your midget comment offensive. I think Travis' comments year in and year out are a joke, and I don't think he is in the top tier of coaching either. But to refer to someones height the way you and Paisley have done below show ignorance and poor judgement. But that's just me. It's about as lame as judging people because of their skin color. Take the time to make an argument about his x and o's or recruiting or disingenuous comments. They are much more valid and valuable.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I always say to people who make comments about others appearance on here to post a picture of themselves so we can make fun of the way they look :)

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Baaaah, Im 5'4" and I don't give a Shizz. Although, I can understand how that word might be construed as offensive.

Bryce Landon 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Uh, we did lose to them at home this past season...just sayin'...

Aaron Paisley 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Sawed off is just being a tool like usual which what else would expect a Missouri/Kentucky guy to be towards Kansas. Wiggins will be just fine and if he puts up similar numbers to what Harrison Barnes did as a freshmen at UNC (16 ppg, 6 rpg) in Self's system, those will be very good numbers that should indicate KU is having a lot of success and that Ellis and likely Selden are also handling the majority of the scoring load.

Rashad Vaughn would be a great replacement for Selden if Selden does become OAD (I'd say about 80% right now) and that he's going to a late commitment means we'll know what the roster composition is shaping up to look like next year by the time Vaughn and Turner make their decisions. This is also a weird class in that there are 31 uncommitted players in the Rivals 150 right now and 8 of them are currently in their top 10. That means that about 80% of the Rivals 150 is already committed and I don't remember a year that large a % of the class was already committed by mid-October. There's not a lot of quality left out there should KU end up getting snubbed by a couple of their targets. Fortunately, this is also the one year where a couple of major recruiting misses won't diminish the on court product significantly, but would likely hurt Self's recruiting momentum from this past class. Should KU land 2 out of 3 between Alexander, Turner, and Vaughn, KU's class would be top 10 and likely top 5, and if Self manages to land all 3 (it's very possible), then KU would arguably have the top class with 4 players who are top 15 players and possibly top 10 when the final rankings come out next spring.

The other weird thing about this class is that Kelly Oubre is the only guy KU is/was recruiting very hard that Kentucky was even in the picture for which is evidence of how that NIT last year is already impacting Kentucky's recruiting this year and could be in the back of the minds of recruits in the 2015 class as well.

Jesse Johnson 10 months, 2 weeks ago

A top recruiting class for next year would be great if we lose Selden and Embiid as well. For me though, the best case scenario would be to only lose Black and Wiggins and replace them with Oubre and Alexander. I'd rather have Selden and Embiid as sophomores than Vaughn and Turner as freshman.

But that's wishful thinking of course. In the case that one or both of them leave, obviously it would be nice to have top 10 recruit to replace them with. I would feel bad though for players like Greene, White and Frankamp who will have to wait even longer before getting a chance to play much.

It would be sweet to land Okafor as a replacement for Embiid, but I don't really care much to recruit Jones. He won't really have a place for him what with Tharpe becoming a senior next year. I also watched some highlights of him and was not really impressed. I honestly don't see what makes him top 5 talent, but I guess that's why I'm not a scout.

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Ive heard that Tyus Jones doesn't really want to come to KU anyways.

Aaron Paisley 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd be shocked if KU landed Tyus Jones at this point based off of Jones' alleged reasoning for cutting Kentucky. It also makes me think Duke may not be the lock a lot of people think they are for Jones either unless Quinn Cook suddenly becomes an NBA prospect this year which right now is not the case. I'm starting to think there's a pretty decent chance that he and Okafor don't end up being a package deal right now.

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I have a hard time believing Aaron Craft is a top ten selection in a gym pickup game with 10 players, let alone in the NBA.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Then you're not paying attention.

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 10 months, 2 weeks ago

You're right. The cbsports article is about college players, not nba prospects or pickup games.

It would help if the LJW would link to the source articles:

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

When I saw Aaron Craft on that list I did a double take. He's still in college? Seems like he's been around a long time. As a Big 1G fan I've seen a lot of him over the years and while he doesn't fill a stat sheet like a lot of superstars what he offers in defense, more than makes up for it. He is an amazingly unique player, whom if he was playing at KU we'd all be falling head over heals in admiration of his skills.

I'm still taking a wait and see approach on Embiild and Seldon. People here have gone gaga over them, but based on what? It's mainly what others are saying about them rather than what they've seen. I surely hope the forecasts for them are correct as it means we're in for an amazing season.

Ron Franklin 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Steve, I tend to reserve judgements until Self starts commenting. He shoots as straight as anybody-and his remarks on Selden are that he is doing great, and will most likely be gone this year. My take on that is that he is stellar. Remember last year when he started commenting on BMac and his ability? He was right on the money too. Re: Embiid, I think Self knows that Embiid really needs at least 2 years, but the way the system is set up, he doesn't foresee that happening.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

your stock is trending down on this board. We all know that you like a little Wiscy, but drooling over Aaron Craft and misspelling Embiid and Selden makes you look like a drunk.

I'm only telling you this because I like you, and I don't want to see you get run out of here like a troll.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

My spell check broke, and I've never been drunk, I barely drink, so maybe my age is getting to me.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

just to be clear, it was a Wiscy ('sconsin) joke.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

OK, I'm slow, just figured out the wiscy joke!

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

And "drooling over Aaron Craft" is an opinion, so don't say I'm drunk for having an opinion.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I respect your opinion, in fact, don't tell anyone around here but I like Craft's game. Though he has really hurt OSU against us the past couple years.

However you completely misconstrued my "drunk" comment. I didn't mean to offend. It was just Wiscy talk, after all. I apologize to you and anyone else who got offended.

But really? You live in New Orleans right? Never been drunk? Hey, I guess I gotta applaud you on that one.

Steve Gantz 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Baton Rouge actually. Hard to believe isn't it. Raised in a conservative home, have never been around it, never had friends who got drunk, etc. After my day at work, it's a good thing I don't drink because I'd be wasted right now. But no hard feelings PlasticJ. RCJH

Chris Shaw 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I love Craft. His teams win that is for sure. I mean, he's been to two Elite 8's and a Final 4. Lost by a combined 6 points in two Elite 8 losses.

DaNeille Davis 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Okay, I find it absolutely ridiculous that a player receive so much hype and interest before playing one minute of college ball. How many players go into college with a lot of hype only to flop once they play with the big boys? How many go into the NBA with a lot of hype only to flop once they play with the really big boys? Most of them. Wiggins hasn't deserved all this hype yet. If by the end of the season he plays like they expect him to, then by all means, he will deserve all the attention. But until that time, give the boy a break and quit putting so much pressure on this "kid." Rock Chalk.

Bryce Landon 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Wiggins need to be really careful about how he handles himself, especially as regards the shoe companies. One misstep, however unintentional, could result in the NCAA ruling him ineligible and vacating our season.

Lance Cheney 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"As an amateur, he — as well as his family members — cannot negotiate with agents."

What about AAU coaches and high school coaches? (Tongue in cheek)

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I expect these comments to disappear before quitting time today, just like James Naismith's comments disappeared this morning, and several others have disappeared with names that apparently didn't pass the "eye test".

Lance Cheney 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not sure how to take Ford's comment. Maybe he's mocking the media's overhyping of Wiggins, which I would tend to agree with, especially considering that Wiggins hasn't exactly been blowing minds in practice, from what I've seen. Or maybe he is taking a jab at KU and KU fans, but also for the same reason. Regardless, we'll see what we got in another month or so, and we should have some epic matchups with OSU (and probably ISU) this year.

Waylon Cook 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Hes a dick and he prolly shouldn't have said that..............

Great bulletin board material though.

He knows if his team underachieves this year he is gone. That's fine if they call again right after we win a title:)

Andrew Moore 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Is there going to be any video coverage of the scrimmage

Michael Luby 10 months, 2 weeks ago

probly not cuz everyone will be too busy covering our stellar football team.

Denver Vold 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I cannot believe Jaybate could resist an article about a shoe company. We could look forward to at least 40 lines in three parts of truly informative insightful knowledge

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm guessing that Jaybate's probably found it cathartic to scratch his ruminations onto parchment. If anyone finds where he's posting them then snap a photo and upload it to this comment section.