Thursday, October 10, 2013

Oubre latest Texan to join Kansas basketball

Kansas recruits Kelly Oubre, left, and King McClure watch from behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self — who has covered the entire country, signing players from both coasts, the North, South and Midwest in his 11 years at Kansas University — has corralled four scholarship players from the great state of Texas.

They are: Darrell Arthur, instrumental to the Jayhawks’ 2008 NCAA championship run; juco guard Tyrone Appleton who played sparingly in one season; Zach Peters who was in Lawrence one semester before leaving because of concussion problems; and this week’s commit, Kelly Oubre of Richmond.

“I think it can only help them (KU coaches). Getting a guy of Kelly’s caliber and name he brings from the state of Texas I think only will attract other people up there,” said Tim Schumacher, head coach of Oubre’s Houston Hoops AAU team. “Kelly has put himself on the national radar scene, not just the state of Texas,” Schumacher added of Rivals.com’s No. 12-rated player nationally.

Schumacher was thrilled this Tuesday to learn Oubre, an athletic 6-foot-7, 200-pound shooting guard/small forward out of Richmond’s Bush High (now at Nevada’s Findlay Prep) had committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky and Florida.

“Either coach (Norm) Roberts or coach Self or somebody from their staff were pretty much at every one of our games. They did a great job recruiting him,” Schumacher said.

“It was a place, being from Houston and the Big 12, I think Kelly was really excited about from the start based on the success their program has had and just the impact coach Self is having on all the players.”

Oubre — he averaged 22.7 points a game his junior year at Bush High — played on a star-studded AAU team that also included North Carolina’s Justin Jackson, SMU’s Keith Frazier and LSU’s Brian Bridgewater.

“Kelly played with our Houston Hoops organization the last two years. From where he was as a junior last year in high school coming to us in the spring to where he is now ... Kelly has worked hard, put his nose to the grind and decided he wanted to be a great player,” Schumacher said. “He’s had a tremendous last couple years. He’s grown up. I think his ceiling is off the charts. He’s going to continue to improve when he gets to KU.”

Schumacher said he expects to see Oubre in this year’s McDonald’s All-America game, like last year’s All-American, Frazier.

“He is very difficult to defend because of his size and athleticism,” Schumacher said of Oubre. “The way he shoots the three and his ability to get in the lane and finish at the rim make him difficult to defend. I imagine they’ll play him on the wing just like we did, kind of let him go and expect him to put up some big numbers.”

What about Wesley?: KU’s Justin Wesley is a KU senior forward from Fort Worth, Texas. He arrived as a non-scholarship walk-on, though he was on scholarship at times during his KU career. His brother, Keith Langford, was a KU standout from Fort Worth, signed by Roy Williams. He played two years for Williams and two for Self.

Pope picks SDSU: Malik Pope, a 6-8 senior forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif., orally committed to San Diego State on Wednesday. He attended Friday’s Late Night in the Phog. Ranked No. 17 nationally, he is believed to be the highest-rated signee in SDSU history. He’s currently out with a broken bone in his leg.

S.I. cover: KU’s Andrew Wiggins is on this week’s cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline: “The Freshman.”

The subheadline reads “From Wilt to Manning to Wiggins; A Torch Is Passed at Kansas.”

To see the cover photo, click here.

Comments

Josh Galler 1 year, 2 months ago

if you want to continue to talk with no one know your real name, goto basketballforums.com

Walter Bridges 1 year, 2 months ago

There are several other forums but this one has always been my favorite. Really don't understand the need to be Facebook verified. Maybe LJW has several investors on staff.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 2 months ago

George Orwell, are you out there? If you are, it's worse than you thought! Well, about 30 years later..but still!

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 2 months ago

So excited for Oubre, Now we only need Cliff and Myles! Does anyone know what happens if a team has more players signed than scholarships available?

Gary Bedore 1 year, 2 months ago

In that case, somebody has to leave, Evan. You can only have 13 on scholarship. KU has two schollies available (counting Wiggins), so if Self signs more than that, he thinks Embiid and Selden and/or Perry will turn pro or somebody will transfer. Cause you can only have 13 on scholarship.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

I feel like I have to say something.

I'm really surprised that Bill Self hasn't signed more players from Texas. We are constantly recruiting Texas and we are always on the short list for most of the Texas recruits.

Darrell Arthur - Hit Tyrone Appleton - Miss Zach Peters - Miss/we'll never know what he could have been Kelly Oubre - This seems like it could close to a guaranteed hit.

Hopefully the Oubre commitment will help us land future stars from Texas. We all thought that we had Randle, but he was seduced by uk. But might Oubre have more upside? Might Oubre be a 2 or 3 year star at KU? To get two years out of Oubre would, in my opinion, be much better for recruiting in TX, than to get one year out of Randle...

I hope that a few more commenters take the plunge and help liven up the place with some discussion....

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

Jay,

Of course I agree with you. However I would add that there have been many kids whom Self has recruited out of Texas who haven't chosen KU. The point being that Self wouldn't recruit them so heavily if he didn't feel that they were an addition to the program. The hope would be that adding a high profile recruit like Oubre who may be in the spotlight at KU for multiple years will help Bill Self in the future to add to the program with similar recruits who see Oubre as an example of what they can be at KU.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 2 months ago

Jonathan, It's funny, cause when I was writing the list of Self signees from Texas (Appleton went to a juco there, but is actually from Indiana), I thought to myself, 'There sure aren't many from Texas, but Arthur counts as 10 because of how important he was to winning the big prize.' To tell you the truth, I think KU can get a kid from any state in the Union which is pretty impressive. It's pretty scary (for other teams) that KU has a staff of Self, Roberts, Townsend and Howard. Yikes ... those guys can recruit.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

Very true, but it's striking to me that Self hasn't had more success in Texas. Can we possibly recruit better in New York and New Jersey than in Texas? Texas is a huge recruiting pool and the heart of Big 12 country. And, oh yeah, Kansas has won the league 9 times in a row!

Sure some kids will chose Texas or Baylor to "stay close to home". Maybe it's easier for an east coast player to choose Kansas because it's a high profile institution and not in the same competitive region, whereas Texas kids may feel that if they choose Kansas they are traitors...

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 2 months ago

Basketball recruiting and football recruiting are two different animals. Basketball recruiting is not about keeping borders closed (why KU doesn't go after every good Kansas kid like the kid from Ottawa that went to Duke or Willie Cauley-Stein). Because of the limited number of scholarships a team has, a team like KU can't focus on a single area in recruiting, they have to go get players from the 4 corners of the US.

-texashawk10

Walter Bridges 1 year, 2 months ago

Not going for those players still has me puzzled. I've heard various reasons including personal conflicts but seeing Calipari and Coach K come into Kansas and leave with two of the best players is a little aggravating...particularly Calipari

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

By now this story would have about 50 comments.

Justin Lindsley 1 year, 2 months ago

It is a sad day. This website may never be the same.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

As a basketball fan, I relied on bloggers like Jaybate and HEM and Slayr to help increase my knowledge of the game and all of its intricacies. Sure, the four writers here on the site are great at what they do. But more often than not, one of us on here brings up something about the KU basketball program in general that the main writers do not. Point being, the older generations do not frequent FaceBook as often as the younger people. To lose this fan base from this site is a tragic loss and will contribute to the decline of sites integrity. PS. aka Lulufulu85

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 2 months ago

Rockchalkin97 here, would definitely agree with lulu, I look up to this older generation of jayhawks a lot. I am only fifteen and found this sight about six months ago. I never knew I could find a site with jayhawk fans bigger than me! This is a special site.

Garrett Coleman 1 year, 2 months ago

I def agree i didn't comment a lot but i always enjoyed the insight of everyone on the boards, that was half of my reason for coming to the site

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

Things change my friends, and not always for the better. Probably selling names & emails of posters & their contacts for profit. Still I don't understand what far fletched security reasons would make them dis allow us anonymity. This opens a real can of worms for LJW & hackers & trolls going forward. Answering the google questions was a pain in itself-maybe this is part of a coup de tent with them for a franchise deal. Rest assured whatever the reasoning, money is at the bottom of it... or the NSA, IRS, or heaven forbid, the freaking DEMOCRATS?! LOL! Sayonara ladies & gents, it's been fun. But like the skunk screwing the possum, it's finally over at last.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

As if the Gov't didn't have enough access to our info. Too bad LJW is complicit. Take care amigos,even those I managed to aggravate regularly.