Thursday, October 10, 2013

Oubre latest Texan to join Kansas basketball

Kansas recruits Kelly Oubre, left, and King McClure watch from behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self — who has covered the entire country, signing players from both coasts, the North, South and Midwest in his 11 years at Kansas University — has corralled four scholarship players from the great state of Texas.

They are: Darrell Arthur, instrumental to the Jayhawks’ 2008 NCAA championship run; juco guard Tyrone Appleton who played sparingly in one season; Zach Peters who was in Lawrence one semester before leaving because of concussion problems; and this week’s commit, Kelly Oubre of Richmond.

“I think it can only help them (KU coaches). Getting a guy of Kelly’s caliber and name he brings from the state of Texas I think only will attract other people up there,” said Tim Schumacher, head coach of Oubre’s Houston Hoops AAU team. “Kelly has put himself on the national radar scene, not just the state of Texas,” Schumacher added of Rivals.com’s No. 12-rated player nationally.

Schumacher was thrilled this Tuesday to learn Oubre, an athletic 6-foot-7, 200-pound shooting guard/small forward out of Richmond’s Bush High (now at Nevada’s Findlay Prep) had committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky and Florida.

“Either coach (Norm) Roberts or coach Self or somebody from their staff were pretty much at every one of our games. They did a great job recruiting him,” Schumacher said.

“It was a place, being from Houston and the Big 12, I think Kelly was really excited about from the start based on the success their program has had and just the impact coach Self is having on all the players.”

Oubre — he averaged 22.7 points a game his junior year at Bush High — played on a star-studded AAU team that also included North Carolina’s Justin Jackson, SMU’s Keith Frazier and LSU’s Brian Bridgewater.

“Kelly played with our Houston Hoops organization the last two years. From where he was as a junior last year in high school coming to us in the spring to where he is now ... Kelly has worked hard, put his nose to the grind and decided he wanted to be a great player,” Schumacher said. “He’s had a tremendous last couple years. He’s grown up. I think his ceiling is off the charts. He’s going to continue to improve when he gets to KU.”

Schumacher said he expects to see Oubre in this year’s McDonald’s All-America game, like last year’s All-American, Frazier.

“He is very difficult to defend because of his size and athleticism,” Schumacher said of Oubre. “The way he shoots the three and his ability to get in the lane and finish at the rim make him difficult to defend. I imagine they’ll play him on the wing just like we did, kind of let him go and expect him to put up some big numbers.”

What about Wesley?: KU’s Justin Wesley is a KU senior forward from Fort Worth, Texas. He arrived as a non-scholarship walk-on, though he was on scholarship at times during his KU career. His brother, Keith Langford, was a KU standout from Fort Worth, signed by Roy Williams. He played two years for Williams and two for Self.

Pope picks SDSU: Malik Pope, a 6-8 senior forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif., orally committed to San Diego State on Wednesday. He attended Friday’s Late Night in the Phog. Ranked No. 17 nationally, he is believed to be the highest-rated signee in SDSU history. He’s currently out with a broken bone in his leg.

S.I. cover: KU’s Andrew Wiggins is on this week’s cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline: “The Freshman.”

The subheadline reads “From Wilt to Manning to Wiggins; A Torch Is Passed at Kansas.”

To see the cover photo, click here.

Comments

Konkis Dongington III 6 months, 1 week ago

It's a shame that the conversation on these boards is all but dead. Give it til the weekend and I think we'll all see this was a moribund experiment from the get go.

That said, I do think we'll be adding at least one other Texan into the fold this season. Myles Turner has been all about KU. I know he plans to visit some other schools, but I promise you, if he'd been able to make it to Late Night, we'd be talking about the two Texas recruits we'd picked up over the weekend.

Mike Bratisax 6 months, 1 week ago

As if the Gov't didn't have enough access to our info. Too bad LJW is complicit. Take care amigos,even those I managed to aggravate regularly.

Burt Ferguson 6 months, 1 week ago

You gotta be kidding me LJW, You removed my posts? Which followed your rules of using facebook. But because I thumb my nose at the idea that it would stop anonymity you remove it? There was nothing vulgar, nothing offensive. It only made you look like A-holes. Great job. I would expect Journalists to understand freedom from censorship more than anyone. F you, F Facebook and F your site. See Ya. (drops the mic and exits stage left)

Woody Cragg 6 months, 1 week ago

Things change my friends, and not always for the better. Probably selling names & emails of posters & their contacts for profit. Still I don't understand what far fletched security reasons would make them dis allow us anonymity. This opens a real can of worms for LJW & hackers & trolls going forward. Answering the google questions was a pain in itself-maybe this is part of a coup de tent with them for a franchise deal. Rest assured whatever the reasoning, money is at the bottom of it... or the NSA, IRS, or heaven forbid, the freaking DEMOCRATS?! LOL! Sayonara ladies & gents, it's been fun. But like the skunk screwing the possum, it's finally over at last.

Michael Luby 6 months, 1 week ago

As a basketball fan, I relied on bloggers like Jaybate and HEM and Slayr to help increase my knowledge of the game and all of its intricacies. Sure, the four writers here on the site are great at what they do. But more often than not, one of us on here brings up something about the KU basketball program in general that the main writers do not. Point being, the older generations do not frequent FaceBook as often as the younger people. To lose this fan base from this site is a tragic loss and will contribute to the decline of sites integrity. PS. aka Lulufulu85

William Blake 6 months, 1 week ago

Okay... I give up. This is drgnslayr. Jayhawk world, meet William Blake.

Take note of the angel Michael binding Satan... "He cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up."

Mike Rotchurtz 6 months, 1 week ago

I'm sure there are others like me who have moved away from Kansas and have enjoyed this forum to connect with other KU fans. It is very disappointing that we'll lose some good posters.

While there has occasionally been some minor name-calling, this has mostly been a pretty civilized place to chat. It's been a rare exception to the gutter level of most internet comment boards. Even the KC Star boards are worthless -- the KU vs. MU mud slinging gets tired in a hurry. The point is... there really isn't a good reason the LJW needed to make this change.

On the plus side, maybe we'll find out Jaybate's real name. I heard that "he" is really a 13 year-old girl in Norway.

Justin Lindsley 6 months, 1 week ago

It is a sad day. This website may never be the same.

Steve Gantz 6 months, 1 week ago

By now this story would have about 50 comments.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 1 week ago

I feel like I have to say something.

I'm really surprised that Bill Self hasn't signed more players from Texas. We are constantly recruiting Texas and we are always on the short list for most of the Texas recruits.

Darrell Arthur - Hit Tyrone Appleton - Miss Zach Peters - Miss/we'll never know what he could have been Kelly Oubre - This seems like it could close to a guaranteed hit.

Hopefully the Oubre commitment will help us land future stars from Texas. We all thought that we had Randle, but he was seduced by uk. But might Oubre have more upside? Might Oubre be a 2 or 3 year star at KU? To get two years out of Oubre would, in my opinion, be much better for recruiting in TX, than to get one year out of Randle...

I hope that a few more commenters take the plunge and help liven up the place with some discussion....

Evan Bilyeu 6 months, 1 week ago

So excited for Oubre, Now we only need Cliff and Myles! Does anyone know what happens if a team has more players signed than scholarships available?

Martin Rosenblum 6 months, 1 week ago

George Orwell, are you out there? If you are, it's worse than you thought! Well, about 30 years later..but still!