Thursday, October 10, 2013

KU men’s basketball to hold open practice at Allen Fieldhouse

Blue team member Naadir Tharpe gets loose for an easy two during the men's basketball scrimmage during Late Night in the Phog Friday at Allen Fieldhouse.

The Kansas men's basketball team will host an open practice and scrimmage Saturday, Oct. 19, from 9:45 a.m. until approximately 11 a.m. prior to KU's home football game against Oklahoma. The event is free to the public.

Doors to Allen Fieldhouse will open at 9 a.m. Fans will not be permitted to save seats for others, and limited concessions services will be available until 10:15.

"With practice starting three weeks earlier than normal, this will be a great way for our fans to get another early look at our team," KU coach Bill Self said. "We didn't show much at all during Late Night (in the Phog) other than 20 minutes of bad ball. This way KU fans can come see us before heading to the football game."

The football game kicks off at 2:30 p.m.

"The energy and enthusiasm surrounding Kansas basketball is at an all-time high," KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said, "and coach Self has generously offered this opportunity for more KU fans to see the Jayhawks in action before our first game. I'm grateful to him and all the Jayhawk fans who are eagerly anticipating this coming season."

Fans coming to the open practice can park free of charge until noon in Lot Nos. 54, 71, 90, 125, and 127. Lot No. 72, northwest of Allen Fieldhouse, will be reserved for football game-day permit holders.

Accessible patrons coming to the open practice can park in Lot No. 72 as well.

Comments

Gary Bedore 6 months, 1 week ago

That would be interesting if OU fans tried to outnumber the KU fans, Joe. In the past, OU has brought some people to Lawrence but nothing like the number of fans Ohio State brought to Northwestern last week. Nebraska fans are the ones that used to flock to Lawrence in droves. I bet you OU brings about 4000 fans max. Nebraska as I recall used to bring between 5 and 10,000.

Dickless Head 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Chris Ramsey, you're a retard. Thank the good Lord I know your real name so I can tell everyone that Chris Ramsey is an effin retard.

Anyone who uses their real name on here is an effin retard. When I get banned soon, I have 3 more fake facebook accounts standing by with offensive, fake names, and I'll use different IP addresses to continue to come on here and make Tait and Newell's new system an effin joke. You won't get my real name, and I will continue to post whatever the eff I want. Eff you.

Chris Ramsey 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe the KU Athletic Department will give out free football tickets and a free concession drink to encourage people to head over to Memorial Stadium.

Andrew Moore 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Will this scrimmage be televised on Metro Sports?

Katy Shaflestad 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't have a fb acct anymore and find it troublesome that you require one to comment now. More garbage that is making me use this site less and less. I know I'm not the only one, you can see just in the message board activity how bad it is. I used a fake fb acct just to post on this article. Never again kusports. I'll get my news elsewhere.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd say that probably at least as many of the students go to late night to see the dancing and the as to see the scrimmage.

Heck, a lot of people probably go just to see the Dream On video and the player introductions video.

Casey Gee 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I think this has the potential to draw as big of a crowd as late night did. Most fans really just want to see the scrimmage anyways at late night, this just gives a lot more actual basketball.

Nick Cole 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish I wasn't running the KC Marathon this day, otherwise I would go to both the bball practice and the football game. Bummer.

Robert Robinson 6 months, 2 weeks ago

There wont be an empty seat in the house

William Blake 6 months, 2 weeks ago

"KU men’s basketball to hold open practice at Allen Fieldhouse"

Free to the public, but you'll need a Facebook account to enter.

; )

Brett Gaul 6 months, 2 weeks ago

So will all the bleachers be down like a game?

Heisen Berg 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I see no reason why 16,000 won't show up. There's liable to be about 30k at the football game. What a great move by Bill.

Jonathan Allison 6 months, 2 weeks ago

This is a great idea for several reasons.

My first thought was that it gives the people who were turned away for late night another chance to see the Hawks.

Second it might encourage more people to take in the football game, and being a football day, the Fieldhouse could become very full for this practice.

With Tyus and Jahlil in town on their official visit, it gives KU a chance to show the show the love to those two as they take in practice.

Also, like Bill said, KU didn't play well during the Late Night game. So this gives the guys another chance to get in front of a crowd and get the nerves out.

I would be surprised if it's a capacity crowd, but being before a football game I'd guess that it's a solid 10 to 12000 people there.

Danger Rost 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Two words that explain why we are doing this... Tyus and Jahlil..... hope it works

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Great news! What a great weekend it will be. The fall colors will be on full display. We will be up from Houston.
Friday afternoon: arrive...golf.
Saturday: moring for a nice breakfast followed by KU basketball ....then a nice lunch at Jeffersons followed by KU football. After KU football, a nice dinner/evening on the Plaza. Sunday (Chiefs v. Texans).

Thanks Bill Self for completing a great weekend.

Joe Ross 6 months, 2 weeks ago

This is a chance for many of the fans who were turned away to come and see the team in a more intimate setting than a game. Additionally, it "should" be used as an opportunity to practice crowd control by the University.

Gary Bedore 6 months, 2 weeks ago

So what do you think fans? Is this going to be a minor happening, just a practice (couple thousand fans), like Allen Iverson says, or is it going to be a wild n crazy atmosphere in which 16,300 attend?