Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Journal-World websites to require commenters to identify themselves

To our readers: We are changing the system we use to allow readers to comment on stories. We are ending anonymity and will require commenters to post using their real names.

We are doing this in response to countless requests from readers who want us to provide a more civil, responsible forum for discussion. We have received numerous complaints that comments on our sites are too frequently filled with extreme speech, insults, name-calling, misleading statements and other behavior that is made possible and even encouraged by anonymity.

This will NOT make comments on our sites visible on Facebook, but it will provide us with a method to validate user accounts and real names. Facebook does not allow its users to create fake profiles. Those who want to post comments on our sites without a Facebook account will not be able to. Additionally, we reserve the right to contact users directly to further confirm their accounts.

It's important to note that this change in our registration system in no way affects anyone's ability to read our sites, subscribe to emails or otherwise participate in our sites. The real-name requirement applies only to those who want to post comments or other types of content that will be publicly visible on our site.

We did not make this decision lightly. It follows months of consideration and study of what other sites are doing to handle the increasingly thorny issue of anonymous comments. Many other sites have been modifying their comments sections to make commenters more accountable and attain a more civilized tone of discussion. Just in the past few weeks, ESPN.com, USAToday.com and the Kansas City Star's kansascity.com have adopted similar Facebook-based comment registration.

It's important to note that comments already on the site will remain in place. But when existing commenters link their accounts to a Facebook account, all of their previous comments will then appear under their real names. Users who wish to avoid this should create a new account using their real name and link that new account to their Facebook account. That will preserve the anonymity of their previous comments.

We will continue to enforce our terms of service for comment behavior. Anyone wishing to contact us anonymously and privately to give us a story tip or other communication can still do so at this address.

There's more information about the new comment-registration policy in our FAQ. If you have any questions or thoughts about what we're doing, please direct them to Managing Editor Julie Wright at comments@ljworld.com. Or you may leave a comment below.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 5 months ago

We'll go back to the old ways of getting our points across anonymously. Oakville you spray paint all bridges and tunnels. Jaybate you pen your thoughts on all bathroom stalls. HEM you stuff any and all suggestion boxes. ATL you shout out your car window to people walking on the sidewalk. I'll handle late night prank calls to the football offices and Keegan's house.

TheBoHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

This is a ridiculous idea. This is not about preservation of morality. You cannot put some one in jail for calling someone out of their name or telling someone colorfully that their opinion is stupid... so why do we have to give our names...WHAT IS THE POINT?!!?? I'll tell you what it is, it is a way to get a name alongside our demographics for these ridiculous surveys...make no mistake

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Sad day.

There will be a lot less discussions.

And a lot less ad revenue.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Bye bye active discussions & ad revenue!

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Bye bye discussions & bye bye ad revenue!

Whoever took the reins of the online strategy over the last several months needs to seriously rethink things. First surveys, now the end of anonymity.

I thought "Suggest Removal" pretty much took care of incivility.

Part of the fun of enjoying sports is that they offer a diversion from the daily grind. I may not be a heavy poster here, but I'm honestly not sure I'll be posting in the future if it's linked to my Facebook account. It's sad that Facebook and Google are beginning to sap the fun out of the internet.

Unlike the previous decision to include Google Surveys, there's no coming back from this decision.

Take a quick glance at how dormant the KC Star comments sections have become since they instituted the policy.

Good night and good luck.

jahawker2004 6 years, 5 months ago

I haven't noticed a problem here with the comments. Discourse here is quite civil.

Not too keen on this idea. Don't like a footprint of my name and opinions all over the web.

On the bright side--finally get to know the legendary jaybate's real name.

Those without a Facebook account have to start one to comment here?

Facebook is taking over the world.

mandomax 6 years, 5 months ago

I believe the real issue is the civility in the LJWorld discussion sections. KUSports is simply getting drawn into the equation

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

It does apply to KUsports.com, but not the message boards, which can be found here: http://boards.kusports.com/

Scott Smetana 6 years, 5 months ago

The way I read it is that you need a FB account to post, but not view comments on kusports.com

jahawker2004 6 years, 5 months ago

"Facebook does not allow its users to create fake profiles."

Not accurate. I know people with Facebook accounts who do not use their real names.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

Most HS kids I know have several Facebook accounts.

Lance Cheney 6 years, 5 months ago

I was getting ready to say the same thing.

Dan Cook 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't have a Facebook account and won't get one. I don't post anything that isn't civil and I'm disappointed by this decision. I have no problem posting under my name so I hope another way beyond Facebook can be allowed.

Tim Orel 6 years, 5 months ago

Me as well. I've refused to get a Facebook account because of all the problems that can be raised by privacy intrusions by Facebook, advertisers they sell your information to, by people you don't wish to stalk you and from employers and other associations who believe its their right to view what you do on your own time and judge you by it.

I'll still read the site until they start requiring Facebook logins to read it, but I'm not going to get a Facebook account just to post here. I'll miss reading comments from many folks. Sad. Just sad.

Kip_McSmithers 6 years, 5 months ago

Same here. I deleted my Facebook profile years ago and DO NOT want to or plan to open another. I hate that most websites/forums are going to a Facebook only posting.

Anyone use JayhawkSlant or Phog.net? What are their policies? I'd rather pay a yearly fee to keep my privacy than to open a FB account!

James McGuire 6 years, 5 months ago

I haven't been a frequent commenter, but I guess I won't be commenting at all now. You would think they would come up with some sort of alternative for those of us not on Facebook.

Jim Roth 6 years, 5 months ago

My name is Jim Roth, and I'm happy to use it. But I won't get a Facebook account.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi Jim, I'm Dylan. I won't be commenting on here anymore, because Facebook ruins peoples lives. (Sarcasm Facebook is just terrible) I would gladly use my full name if necessary, but want nothing to do with Facebook.

Why do you think the change is really being made? This is the most civil forum I've ever read. Even when newbies come on here they get straightened OU pretty quick, so what gives?

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

Read then comments on a political article.

741hawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Count me among those who have closed their Facebook account and will NOT re-open it. (Lack of civility was one of the reasons.) I guess I can go elsewhere and I will.

Mark Wooden 6 years, 5 months ago

No problem using my real name but please delete my acccount/profile under wizbuc. Thank you.

VancouverHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I also have no Facebook account for similar reasons and refuse to get one. I'd be happy to post under my real name but apparently there is no other way to do that. This is really lame. Well, they'll lose a lot of traffic. I hadn't noticed the nasty postings here - maybe I just don't read the comments often enough.

The end of an era, indeed.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

Could LJW just use your credit card info without a charge to verify your name and age much more accurately than the fake Facebook account I will be forced to set up. Should my real name be nacho libre or John Smith or Jay Hawk?

VancouverHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Good question. Heck, here's a link to my website with my real, University email address that can't be faked:

faculty.arts.ubc.ca/cstephens/Chris_Stephens_Website/Home_Page.html

Could be the last thing I ever post here.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 5 months ago

While there are plenty of disagreement on the forum, I would consider it quite civil, particularly when compared to other similar forums.

Any teenager can create a Facebook accounts with fake names. Whoever thinks this cannot be done should not be in charge of making this type of decisions as he/she is obviously way behind the times.

I would suspect that if this misguided policy is implemented, at least half if not more of the active users will leave. We get enough intrusion in our lives from the federal government, we don't need the local sports forum getting our private information as well. The LJW is moving on a slippery slope that will result in limited participation.

If I wanted to use my real name, I would cut the middle man and post directly on Facebook on the KU page.

BainDread 6 years, 5 months ago

Lack of civility has not been a significant problem with kusports.com comments. I hope LWJ reevaluates the need to make this change on this portion of their on-line empire. No Facebook account and no desire to open one. Bye-bye.

MinnesotaJay 6 years, 5 months ago

I haven't checked the details yet, but I hope I won't have to appear in person and submit a DNA sample to prove my identity.

Danny Hernandez 6 years, 5 months ago

I have no problem with it. I loathe that some posters hide behind the anonymity on the internet. They post w/o any regard because of it. Stand by your comments. Show your face. I'm willing because I have nothing to hide and those that complain imho, DO!

Kip_McSmithers 6 years, 5 months ago

No problem using my real name. I have a problem with creating a Facebook account.

Hawk8086 6 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. No problem using my real name. I do not want to create a facebook account.

JHawk06 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a facebook account but use it so rarely that I almost deleted it the other day. Hopefully they can find a way to not force us to use facebook.

jay_cheese 6 years, 5 months ago

Ditto. No problem for real name. No facebook for me. Although I see the ease in transitioning this system for the admins to facebook, that's a bad play in creating an unneccessary barrier between interaction of people and the LJW. Facebook might have some good uses but the users provide free (and very hot) marketing info they sell off for big $$$.

Could care less about the google crap b/c I get that a paper needs to make $ to keep the people that report this news that I enjoy employed...

Ashwin Rao 6 years, 5 months ago

There may be more involvement by non-KUSports folks here. Obviously this connects up users to their FB accounts, which is rich with information. The connections allows the advertisers to understand the users better, hence allowing them to display more relevant ads to the users...

And then the NSA comes into the picture.... :)

crimsonwithblue22 6 years, 5 months ago

While it is true (and good) this will discourage falsehoods, rumor mongering and uncivil personal attacks posted by anonymous people "hiding behind a computer". It is also (and sadly) true that it will discourage those in the community with factual, inside knowledge of bad behavior from posting about those happenings in fear of retaliation. The closed door meetings and back room deals that often take place here in Lawrence just became a whole lot safer once again.

This weighs heavily in favor of those who already hold too much power and influence in our community.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, you're really shooting yourself in the foot here LJW. This will absolutely kill this fun community I've grown to really enjoy since 2008. I'm absolutely not going to comment using FB. Goodbye all - it's been fun.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

Just reread the above and now wondering what this last sentence in parentheses meant?

"Beginning Thursday, users who want to comment will be required to link their accounts on LJWorld.com, KUsports.com and our other sites to their Facebook accounts (Note: For KUsports.com, this step is not required for the message boards)."

Not required on kusports? Does this mean it will automatically link to an existing FB account? Or that linking to FB account not required. Please explain.

Andy Godwin 6 years, 5 months ago

I guess if the football team was decent, every posting would be full of happy thoughts, with rainbows and unicorns.

KUFan90 6 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunate decision. I agree that the "suggest removal" was sufficient to deal with extremely out of line comments. Not sure what problem this decision is trying to solve.

"We sometimes get extreme/out of line comments that we have to remove, so let's choke off 90% of ALL the comments to avoid these occasional outliers."

I will miss the colorful posters that I'm sure will disappear due to this decision, even the ones that I usually disagreed with.

I didn't post often, but count me in the list that won't be posting again.

One less source of enjoyment in our lives...

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

That's a shame you didn't post more often. I always enjoyed your posts no matter what you said for some reason, wink wink.

Ron Prichard 6 years, 5 months ago

My work blocks Facebook. I have enjoyed taking a break now and then and posting or posting during my lunch hour. For me, that was a big part of being able to comment on this site. That went out the window.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

You will still be fine on our site. Facebook is only used to verify your real-name account. Once you do that, all the actual posting will still be through the commenting platform on our site.

VancouverHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Is there way to verify my real-name account. Won't a university email address do?

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 5 months ago

Jesse,

How many valid variations of your name and the other writers do you think will show up?

Jesse Newell Sr. has a nice ring to it.

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

KUSports is not where the need for this came from. Read the the comments section on a political article and you'll quickly understand why the World Co. decided to institute this policy.

Tom, Matt, Jesse, or Gary, could one of you clarify exactly how this impacts KUSports.com.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

We receive no fee from Facebook. It simply was the easiest way to verify real-name accounts without having to call each user via telephone.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

Real names will appear on the message thread.

Jim Roth 6 years, 5 months ago

Jesse, there must be another way to verify accounts than requiring us to subscribe to one particular social networking service that is not without controversy.

Jim Roth 6 years, 5 months ago

That link was supposed to point to the Criticisms and controversies section on the Wikipedia page about Facebook. But now it looks like an ad.

6 years, 5 months ago

Like others have stated on here, I will miss the colorful and insightful (sometimes inciteful!) thoughts many of you fellow posters provide each day. So too will I miss the troll eradications. It has been a great run the past ten years reading all the comments, the last 6½ of which I decided to join in the fun. I am afraid ahperse’s comment at the top of this thread is dead on.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk friends! :^)

mikehawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I purposefully don't have a Facebook account, and it seems I'm not alone. It seems if I'm reading this new policy carefully, and since I only comment on KUSports.com, nothing changes. But, this situation seems slightly confusing. I'm not totally clear what this actually means. Still, from what I can tell, this decision is very disappointing and once again allows problems with the minority to affect the law abiding majority. I notice, but don't really read some of the tit for tat that goes on on this board. I personally find it annoying and personally choose not to participate in it as a supporter of civil discourse at all times. I refer to the most negative, anonymous comments as "drive by shootings" which are distasteful at best, and cowardly at worst. I am sometimes critical with the articles as a component of what is inherent within the DNA of such a site as this, but try to always refrain from making the criticism personal in any way. If I have offended anyone, either with LJW, or another blogger, please accept my deepest, most sincere apology. I would be happy to provide my real name behind the site within the registration, and you are free to bar me if I cannot participate in a civil manner. But, if the Facebook deal is a part of it, I guess my days of participation as a blogger are over. We'll just have to see and learn more about this new policy works. Right now, I am very sad as it seems this is defeating the fun and purpose of this board I've enjoyed for so long.

jcw3691 6 years, 5 months ago

"Facebook does not allow its users to create fake profiles." Ummm, Catfish?

Ryan Michael 6 years, 5 months ago

This is the last time I will post here... The survey questions are enough of an annoyance, but this is just taking it way too far.

I don't want potential employers, or even a random person being able to search my name in google and find out everything about me to include what I post on forums and basketball comment threads.

Was a good run, but this place has become more and more of a joke. Goodbye to all the legitimate posters who kept things interesting (HEM).

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 5 months ago

Similar to others, I had FB and never wish to have it again.

Love how a few bad apples spoil something I truly enjoyed doing. But if a few people complain they get their way. This is BS and I am not happy about it.

This almost takes all the joy I had from Oubre signing.

Nancy Borst 6 years, 5 months ago

Agree with many above. I only recently relented and created a Facebook account but do not and cannot have it linked to other postings. It's a shame because this new policy will ruin the wonderful banter on this board that I enjoy regularly.

Kevin Millikan 6 years, 5 months ago

For such a conservative state, everyone sure meddles in your business just to read a stickin' sports story..Nope, you're not getting any more information, "big brother" can just get it somewhere else.

Scott Bonnet 6 years, 5 months ago

Good job LJWorld! I've wanted this for years.

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

I am saddened by this news. I have enjoyed posting comments and I have been especially happy to contribute my opinions about recruiting after watching kids play spring and summer hoops. It will end for me because I will not get a Facebook account. There are privacy issues and I cannot stand the creepy Zuckerburg.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I found an inspirational YouTube video that explains the decision-making process that went into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EyN9...

Kyle Cornish 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, so many people scared to have others see who they are. Good riddance to you cowards.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

Nice to meet you Mr. Weagle Hawk. Glad to know you've also been posting under your real name this whole time too.

It's not the real name that bothers me it's the link to my life. I don't care if you know who I am just stay out of my bank accounts, leave my friends and family alone, and if you offer candy to my kid I'm breaking you in two, stranger.

Kyle Cornish 6 years, 5 months ago

It is not going to link to any of that! It is just to confirm that you are who you say you are, as best they can. That is all. It won't post your facebook info. And no, the government won't come after you because you have a facebook account. Relax, post with facebook and get on with it.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

The government may not come after you, but don't you think some employers might have an issue if they notice employees posting during the workday?

It's a little more involved than you (and the LJW, obviously) think.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

Your Facebook account is only used so we can verify your real name on your KUsports.com account. If you post on here, it will not show up on your Facebook account.

Dan Cook 6 years, 5 months ago

Jesse -- I don't have a Facebook account and won't get one. What other means could be used in my case and the case of many of your faithful readers and commenters?

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, Jesse.

But some employers block Facebook (which is a different discussion), and those folks won't be able to post here for most of the day.

And employers may not glean any new information from the Facebook feed, but now they know their employees' thoughts if they come here. It's less of an issue for a sports page (aside from the productivity aspect), but it will certainly chill political speech on ljworld.com.

I'd gladly pay a few bucks a month to enjoy the reporting here -- would be great if that was offered as an alternative to logging in through Facebook.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

The people whose employers block Facebook shouldn't have any issues.

Tomorrow, you'll see a screen to link your KUsports.com account to your Facebook account. You can then choose your Facebook account to link it up.

After that, we're done with Facebook. It will still be our KUsports.com comments under our platform. Workplaces that block Facebook will have no impact on your KUsports.com comments.

bad_dog 6 years, 5 months ago

That still ignores the concerns expressed by MHH regarding employers seeing their employee's names displayed alongside comments posted online during work hours.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a facebook account, use it fairly frequently to chat with family and friends. However, I REFUSE to link it to anything else, and I check my settings at least once a month to make sure it has not set up links I do not want, and break them when I find it has

I have absolutely no problem with posting under my own name of Eric Dawson, and will be happy to do so in the future once the World Company figures out another way to validate users besides requiring facebook accounts. I will even provide them with corroborating information as long as it is kept private and unavailable to other users.

This really, really is a shame.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

It's interesting. So far the few who seem to be for this are folks who I don't recognize as frequent posters/contributors. This coward and is taking his newly acquired cowbell avatar and going home. This stinks - I barely got to break in the cowbell.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

Wondering if the mysterious avatar disappearance the other day was somebody jumping the gun on this new policy...

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

Surely we won't be restricted from using avatars. Or, maybe we will have to post personal photos, thumbprints, and blood type next to our names. The avatar glitch did, however, spawn many of us change our avatars. Kind of refreshing, actually, I thought. You, Nuleaf, Jaybate, myself and others now have new "identities" simply through the avatar changes.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

Damn that Mark Zuckerberg!

Actually, I believe the root of this change is in this statement: "By requiring the use of real names, commenters will be personally responsible for what they post on the site for others to see..." Personally Responsible" is trying to take responsibility off of LJW for exposure reasons that could or have seen them implicated in some fashion based on comments on their media. Irony is that their responsibility will always be there if they allow comments to be viewed, using real names or otherwise, and will further make them a target when real names can be seen and added to the "et al" in potential actions stemming from comments ".. filled with extreme speech, insults, name-calling, misleading statements and other behavior.."

Think about the comments removed by the LJW themselves. Is it just getting too costly to have someone review every comment to determine whether it crosses those fine lines and ultimately pressing the "delete" button? This is where I trusted that comments that were inappropriate would be filtered, not through the act of "guilting" or "daring" posters into posting controversial comments by making them reveal their actual names in hopes that this would deter inappropriate comments. I have seen some very incitful editorials in print media where real names are required. Some people just don't mind using their names and stirring the pot. I think we will see this play out more often than may have been expected.

This will, however, prevent those trolls who often times sign on to offer their caustic comments as fans of other programs/interests.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

Unless those trolls have a fake Facebook account.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe fake Facebook accounts will be hard to single out. It'll be much easier than what we have available now.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

Now, for disclosure purposes, is Jesse Newell your real name?

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

So you won't believe me if I'm really Spock?

Billy Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Just Wow...

Thanks NSA.

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 5 months ago

NSA does not need your Facebook account; they already have all your information and monitor all of your communications.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

Since this is my last day posting I'm going to get my money's worth:

Listen - I like breasts as well as the next guy (unless the next guy is Liberace) but the massive cartoon cleavage on this site's ads for "Wartune" could be more offensive to some than any comment I've seen posted recently. The wording "Male Gamers Only" and "Men Only - Enter at your own risk" also pretty questionable.

Just saying.

6 years, 5 months ago

You have a great point. I was recently visiting Bali, and this website was blocked from view. Some foreign governments have a strict policy on what can be deemed as questionable content, and I am almost certain the ads you are talking about are what got KUSports blocked.

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

I guess I could create a facebook account with my spam email account. Now I just have to use a name that isn't an obviously identifiable as a fake name. Now taking suggestions on pseudonyms to use. I'm leaning towards I.P. Freely right now.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

With all due credit to Bart and Moe:

• Phil McCracken
  • Mike Rotch
  • Oliver Clothesoff
  • Seymour Butz
  • Jaques Strap
  • Hugh Jazz
  • Bea O'Problem
  • Anita Bath

or my personal favorite: Amanda Hugginkiss

DanR 6 years, 5 months ago

No facebook account. Oh well, it's been fun.

I'll see everyone over at the message boards until the plug is pulled on that.

Rock Chalk 6 years, 5 months ago

The Journal World killed the message boards and now they're killing the articles' comment section. They must have new management. It was a very bad decision to hire that person or persons. It started with the update of the site during the tourney last year, and the hits keep coming.

Truly, they have ruined a great place to read about basketball. The comments section has been one of the great things about their articles. Their articles are not special, it's the dialogue below. Shameful they would purposely ruin a good thing.

KU 6 years, 5 months ago

Goodbye LJW........Hello RockChalkTalk.com! This could be a boost for the guys that run that site.

Steve Reigle 6 years, 5 months ago

And THAT is how offensive posts should be handled. NOT by requiring real names.

Kip_McSmithers 6 years, 5 months ago

"Facebook does not allow its users to create fake profiles." -- Manti Te'o

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

As the person formerly known as Jaybate would respond.... P H O F !!

741hawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't mind using my name at all; but i WILL NOT re-recreate a Facebook account. Done

TommieSmithElbow 6 years, 5 months ago

Facebook will soon be MySpace. Then what? Such visionaries!

I really want to thank the majority of posters who made the comments section fun (and provoking) and from time-to-time the comments were better than the articles themselves.

One day, people will wake up to everything they've given away from a privacy standpoint, but sadly, it will be too late. Not going there.

Stay thirsty, my friends. Rock Chalk!

David Leathers 6 years, 5 months ago

Not only can you make a fake Facebook account, but you can also change your full name on your existing one.

jhwkswn 6 years, 5 months ago

Been an amazing thing to watch this site/community be decimated over the past year or so. I've been in IT for a long time, and I don't get it. It's as if there is someone behind the scenes eager for this site to die. Well... well played, sir or madame (is that PC enough or should I have started with the GBTblahblahblah acronym).

I would say that this decision doesn't really affect me being that historically I've been mostly a 'message board poster' rather than an 'article commenter' but, oh wait, they destroyed the message boards too with the non-tested updates and ridiculous polls.

No facebook account here either and never will there be.

Whoever's the last one out... can you turn out the lights?

Rock chalk, my Jayhawk brothers (and sisters)!!

rolo2383 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't post a lot here anymore but I do from time to time. I don't have a Facebook account and I don't plan on getting one so I guess I won't be posting here at all anymore.

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

The LJW is going to a lot of trouble just to get rid of Jaybate.

;)

Steve Gantz 6 years, 5 months ago

And that's exactly what we're going to miss out on I'm afraid.

JayDocMD 6 years, 5 months ago

So what are our other options? Someone mentioned RockChalkTalk - also saw a couple other sites mentioned. Which is the best free site that a person like myself can switch to for future KU sports discussions? Would be nice to continue to see and hear from all of you and hoping that I will.

So which site are we all going to meet at?

d_prowess 6 years, 5 months ago

Somebody on the LJW site utilized a free online service that lets you create forums and is urging people to just to there to post comments for each story. I am not invested enough to do that, but it seems like an easy way around this. Just start a thread for each story on KUSports.com, with a link to the story, and then let anyone create a user name and they can comment there.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

College Hoops Hits (one word) might be an option.

Looks like no one really posts there, but each day this guy collects every story (local, regional and national) about KU hoops.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 5 months ago

You could try this - http://www.rockchalk.com/boards/index.php It was originally added to his KU database site by a KU grad who was sick of the original Nothing But Net and wanted to provide a place for fans to talk hoops without all the flame wars and name calling.

It's slowed down a bit in recent years, but it's still out there with a loyal user base that is mostly hoops oriented. I'd love to see folks move over there, especially some football fans.

VailHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I read this site for years, very knowlegeable posters but the frequency of posts was lacking. Would support, again if this is where everyone goes...

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 5 months ago

If I was a writer I'd dust off my resume because the clicks are going to stop. Between this and google survey someone is making horrible decisions.

MartyrMangino 6 years, 5 months ago

MinnesotaJay 6 years, 5 months ago

This is disappointing for several reasons, the least of which being the waste of my time searching for my new Bobby Douglass avatar. Like many others, I have no problem with using my real identity when I post, but setting up a Facebook account is off the table. So, this is goodbye.

They probably won't see this comment, but very best wishes to all of the Jayhawk athletes and teams going forward, particularly those like the women's golf and basketball teams, since I follow both and regularly post encouragement or congratulations, whichever the case may be.

Also, for the site to set such an arbitrary method for establishing a verified identity, knowing that a wide swath of followers would surely fall by the wayside as a result, suggests a pretty low level of regard for their patronage.

Incidentally, I for one would have no problem making a $1.00 Paypal contribution as a way of verifying my identity.

Jim Roth 6 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe a donation to the university...KU athletics, or the Alumni Association. That would be something a lot of us could get behind. But not Facebook.

Nathan Mattison 6 years, 5 months ago

Pretty disappointing that an online board that is fronted by a newspaper now has problems with speech that is apparently "too free". Did they hired the same group that was responsible for that dreadful KU commercial with the pasty slightly overweight girl running through KU campus to takeover the board?

Anonymity is something that I feel fosters a true open forum. I have been on this board since I believe it started and have not seen any significant absence of civility. Apparently some delicate flowers get "der feewings hurt" when people use adult language....and we can't offend anyone, God forbid. Truth is, the board has been going down precipitously for the last year or so. This is the final nail in the coffin IMO. Too sum up "super lame" LJW.

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 5 months ago

This kinda feels like when they killed 105.9

Jack Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

And, exactly why would anyone have a problem with identifying themselves ~ and taking responsibility for their opinions, comments, witty remarks, et al? No, anonymity does not "foster a true open forum" ~ it does foster moronic, petty and at times, incomprehensible logic. Anonymity is exactly what the name implies ~ hiding oneself. It will be interesting to see who stays, and who doesn't. A long overdue and valuable policy change that will raise the level of discourse.

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

Most people don't have an issue with using their real name on here. It's thw World Company is specifically using Facebook as the means to do so rather than registering a credit card or anything other than facebook.

Steve Reigle 6 years, 5 months ago

There are several very good reasons in the posts above this one, starting at the top. It has little to do with taking responsibility, most of us don't have a problem with that. The biggest problem for me is linking my real name to my posts so that anyone who knows how to google can find them. Don't think so, go google your own name and see for yourself. Thinking about changing jobs? Don't think your new employer is checking you out online? How about your current employer who may have some doubts about you? I have never posted anything on this site I would not take responsibility for but I sure don't want my comments being searchable and tied to my name. It's really easy for some of those to be taken out of context when not seen as part of an entire conversation.

shelleysue 6 years, 5 months ago

Don't blame LJW. If you're upset, put the blame where it belongs - with the posters guilty of the things they are trying to get rid of. There are plenty of times I read posters calling others idiots and dozens of other negative comments about the person posting on this site. This is a site to vent about what's going on with KU athletics, discuss with other fans and voice an OPINION. Again - OPINION. It's not a place to attack fellow KU fans. There have been plenty of times I felt ashamed by the comments some people on this site say about other KU fans. It's immature, ridiculous and shameful. I won't be sad to see those people go. Don't get me wrong, I hate that it has come to this, but it's not Facebook, Google, or LJW's fault. The fault lies with the guilty parties who post here.

Rock Chalk 6 years, 5 months ago

I beg to disagree. This is a civil place to read about and post commentary about KU Basketball. There have been a few bad posts, but not many and nothing like other sites. They are taken down quickly here. I think they are responding to dollar signs again, as they did with the message boards. Shooting themselves in the foot, IMO.

Yesterday, in fact, I thought, "At least we still have this," as we're gearing up for a fun season of KU Men's Basketball. A true shame! A great season ahead, and we won't have this site to come to and read opinions of other posters.

I'm no expert, but it looks as if LJW is imploding and even the print edition won't be around much longer, either. Getting rid of everything good and wonderful is not a way to save itself.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Let's be clear -- this has nothing to do with civility. Nothing.

It's all about being able to sell targeted advertising. Why else would they require Facebook (not just verifiable ID, but Facebook)? It's so they can tell their advertisers "this is our exact demographic" and hopefully generate more revenue.

The World Company is being naive if they expect only a blip in traffic. This is the death knell of the comments section.

Jesse Newell 6 years, 5 months ago

milehigh — It has nothing to do with advertising. It has everything to do with verifying a person's real name. You don't have to believe me, but that's the truth. Facebook will verify your real name, then that's it. Done with Facebook. We're still using our comment platform.

Ryan Michael 6 years, 5 months ago

Maybe you don't do anything with it directly (i have my doubts), but facebook sure as hell gets the data...

Just another in a chain of extremely poor choices management has made. Oh well, there are plenty of other forums available. I just logged in to voice my opinion one last time. Enjoy your graveyard and decreased ad revenue!

VancouverHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

But what if we don't have a facebook account? Is there no other way to verify our names???

Jack Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

milehigh ~ you were wrong about "it's all about......", and I,m betting your just as wrong about the "death knell" prognostication. Let's keep track and see.

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 5 months ago

Seems like you would be fine leaving this site as is, and only implementing this new policy for the LJWorld site.

Im sure the real issue is with political articals and 2-3 idiots made some threating remark, someone went to press charges and there is no trail to their identity. Thus the website is liable, so they have to do this....

Or you could seperate the websites since there really aren't issues on these boards?

bad_dog 6 years, 5 months ago

All it takes is a Court order to obtain information sufficient to identify who posted a comment. As such, if litigation ensues over something that happened as a result of a comment posted online, the information would be sought during discovery. As it currently stands, Facebook content and passwords are all discoverable in litigation. The Court will order you to produce the information to opposing counsel and they will then download the entire content of your Facebook page and its history to parse through for information they can use in litigation.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 5 months ago

NOT SO RANDOM THOUGHTS: Since this is my last list, I'd thought I'd make it a good one.

1] I consider the Internet the equivalent of the Games in the Colosseum for the Roman Empire..it will be the cause for the eventual downfall of the United States.

2] By the year 2100, our country will no longer exist, but rather be a group of at least three seperate entities.

3] It has been a pleasure corresponding the many inciteful, funny, clever and downright Crimson and Blue-colored posters on this site. Although I have never met or even talked live with any of you, I feel that you guys and gals are true friends.

4] Thanks, Jaybate, HEM, Ralster, BigManU, drgnslayr, PVJayhawk, Parisjayhawk, ahperse.., LAJayhawk, Brock, 100 [ God rest his soul] and so many others united as KU Nation. The honor has been all mine...thanks for being there.

5] Jesse, Matt, Gary, Keegs...it's been fun but not enough to sell my soul to Facebook!!

6] What hurts the most is that so many of us have performed admirally on this site. Has anyone on LJW ever been on other sport sites? Try some in New Jersey or Philadelphia or DC......then tell me that this site is "out of control"!!!

7] I will continue to read the articles but it won't be the same. This sure seems like a radical way to keep the trolls off of this site.

8] Damn...now I'm going to actually have to work rather than post on the sly. :(

9] Well...that's about it. This is OakvilleJHawk signing off...the day the music died!!

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 5 months ago

I have always enjoyed your posts (and many others). Def feels like some users are friends and others those annoying people who even when wrong get louder

I am debating on my level of protest for this site, sadly I may not even come to read any more.

Good Day Mr. Oakville and thanks for all you have contributed.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 5 months ago

Gonna miss your posts. I'm almost crying here :(

Steve Reigle 6 years, 5 months ago

For reasons I've stated above, I'll not be willing to have my real name show in my posts. I would have no problem with KUSports/LJWorld knowing my real name but I don't want it published so it is searchable by anyone wanting to know more about me. My privacy is worth more than that to me. So, I guess today is my last day posting comments on KUSports. It's been fun. Sad it had to come to this.

Matt Bowers 6 years, 5 months ago

Matt, why do you need to know our real name? We are not the one's being paid to provide information on this website, therefore why should be held to the same standards as Lawrence Journal World(LJW)? Why does LJW need to play hall monitor? What is wrong with exercising 1st Amendment rights anonymously?

By the way. The LJW is not ESPN or USA Today. The LJW doesn't have the same volume as those sites and there aren't verbal attacks or racial comments being lobbed at players/individuals as is the case with those sites.

Rock Chalk

Matt Bowers 6 years, 5 months ago

As if it isn't bad enough that the government monitors everything that we do, now the Lawrence Journal World feels the need to do the same. I will not bad mouth the staff but I do believe this is a mistake and a shame. I thought Lawrence was cooler than this.

Rock Chalk

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

This change is not coming about because of what happens on this website. Go read a political article by any World Co. newspaper and you will read a lot of personal attacks and stuff that makes you question people's sanity.

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

I wish there were another way. I detest Facebook.

Matt Bowers 6 years, 5 months ago

Good bye good friends. Although I am not a regular poster, I read and enjoy them daily. It is a sad day for our little online community that has brought so much joy to so many. I appreciate all of you and especially want to give a shout out to Jaybate, your comments were legendary!

Rock Chalk

Jim Jackson 6 years, 5 months ago

This is asinine and a quick way to disspate traffic for the site.

Horrible decison making by the World Co., the Co. that runs KUSports.

Steve Corder 6 years, 5 months ago

Good move. Seems like everyone expects " transparency" in their personal and business relationships. However, when it comes to Internet comments, tweets and blogs transparency is an unwelcomed visitor. Darkness hates the light.

HighQ 6 years, 5 months ago

I know each by his

Screen name. Tomorrow will be

Anonymity.

bad_dog 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll miss your haiku. A definite reflection of a creative, intelligent mind.

DanR 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, come on, bad_dog

You almost had one there too

A haiku, that is.

Jim Roth 6 years, 5 months ago

At least we will know you by your verse!

Shaun Hardie 6 years, 5 months ago

Being accountable isn't the worst idea ever. It may be difficult to own up to your thoughts and opinion but it's not going to deter me from speaking my mind. I have nothing to hide. I do not engage in name calling or makeothers feel bad (save Turner Gill, sorry buddy but you had to go). I think this change will add to the lives of those that our a part of this community in the future. I don't post a lot but I do enjoy reading the thoughts and discussions here. Please don't stop posting just b/c I might know your name now. It's irrelevant to my purpose in reading comments. I just want to know more about Kansas football and basketball.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, but "inside sources" tend to vanish if you need to provide your name.

justanotherfan 6 years, 5 months ago

This will be my last post as well. I have a facebook account, but I am phasing it out, as it has been the source of too many disputes and trouble in the past. I don't plan on getting a new one.

I don't think this will bring about the demise of KUsports.com. I do think the comments sections will dwindle quite a bit. I like being able to hop on here and just talk sports with Jayhawk fans all over the country without knowing if I am talking to someone that is a CEO or a janitor. These comments sections have been a great place for KU fans young and old to meet and discuss, disagree, rant, celebrate, complain, criticize, cheer, and dream. It's unfortunate that bad behavior on the part of some will bring this to an end.

I've gotten into my share of disagreements on this board, but I can honestly say that I don't feel like I was ever personally attacked, and I hope that no one here feels that I ever personally attacked them. If I did, I am sincerely sorry because that is not what these comments sections have ever been about, and that was not my intent.

Here's to seeing some improvement on the football field and, if my hunch is correct, an incredible season for both the men and ladies on the hardwood.

Best to all.

Hawk8086 6 years, 5 months ago

I only started posting this spring after reading comments for a long time. The reason I joined in was because I felt the comments were, compared to other sites, very positive and with minimal hurtful comments (yes.....some are deleted). I have really enjoyed everyone's opinions and comments. I do not have a facebook account and don't want to open one. I doubt that I will. I hope to be able to once again, join in on the excellent discussions, if not here then perhaps one of the sites others have mentioned.

NorthStarHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm echoing the same as the immediate posts above.....though I don't participate very often, I will not participate if I must create a facebook account. I find it strangely odd that Facebook has become the standard bearer for "civil" interaction and discourse. I have seen too many examples of bizarre, uncivil, selfish, and mean-spirited postings on that social media forum as well to want to be a participant in. LJW....I do applaud your position of declaring one's identity. I deplore the darker sides of people's nature; spewing, accusing, taunting, etc. on discussion forums such as this. As a society it's time we tune in with the better angels of our nature. But I would hope you can be more ingenious than submit to facebook (and no I won't dignify it with a capital letter.) So here's to my last post here and to my fellow Jayhawks, only the best....I will miss reading your insights, quips and knowledgeable input to all things KU......Respectfully, Jim W. Miller, '79, University of Kansas.

greg robinson 6 years, 5 months ago

Sad day. I feel like I'm losing old friends. Like many others no facebook account and no intention of creating one. Greg Robinson

notjustbread 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh but wait...are they doing this identity verification deal over in KY? What are Cal's thoughts on the matter?

lifetimeJay 6 years, 5 months ago

The wussification of America. I'm tired of people getting upset over every little damn thing. Quit being so uptight people. I'm only 27 and I fear what this world is turning into. I may become a doomsday prepper because of it.

Robert Brown 6 years, 5 months ago

I think it more wussy for people to make personal and offensive comments under the cover of anonimity. Some of the comments made about Turner Gill were just nasty. He was a bad coach and made bad decisions, but one does not have to make personal, nasty comments about him. Most people who have made comments like this do not have the guts to use their real name. That, lifetimeJay, is wussification.

d_prowess 6 years, 5 months ago

Can anyone tell me how to delete my account? I would rather just shut it down than keep it out there. I looked in the settings, but nothing seemed obvious.

VancouverHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Why Facebook is bad:

Surely there is SOME other option you can come up with for verifying IDs? Come on Jesse!

Chris Stephens

KUbsee69 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with BoHawk above (and perhaps others that I did not read). This is just a way to link the survey questions and resulting demographic data collection to facebook accounts so that we will receive more unsolicited "postings of interest" on facebook. This constitutes an invasion of privacy, in my opinion.

LJW / KUSports ... say goodbye to those awards you're won as a premier sports information website.

By the way, I frequent some of your site's ad sponsers, mostly restaurants, and intend on advising them to pull their adds because of this.

KUbsee69 6 years, 5 months ago

P.S. Did somebody hurt Keegan's feelings again?

GeoHawk15 6 years, 5 months ago

Very disappointed with this decision. Many times, the comments are as good or better than the article itself. While I don't post much, I always look forward to reading what the regular posters have to say. That will be lost now since a good number of the best posters on this site don't have or refuse to link a Facebook account. And I don't blame them.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

this makes me sad for two reasons.

1.) Because of all of commenters whom I've enjoyed reading who'll stop posting here.

2.) Because just like haiKU or HighQ or whoever it was just said. We know eachother by our screen names and our avatars. Real names mean nothing here.

I'll keep reading, and I'll link to facebook, and I'll still post comments here from time to time, but I'm afraid there will be too much good content lost from this change that it will never be as good as it once was.

I posted my real name a few years ago when the staff made that option available.

My name used to read: plasticJHawk (Jonathan Allison)

Why can't we go back to that, so that we can have both our real names and our screen names?

Screen names and avatars are all I know.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

Just got an email from The World Company, Scott Stanford General Manager, Media Division. The email has links and instructions for taking the steps to continue the ability to comment on this board.

I think everybody should "friend" Scott Stanford on Facebook.

mikehawk 6 years, 5 months ago

It is amazing the ability to measure hits, time spent on site, what stories get hits, etc. on websites. I'm sure the LJW watches these measurements very carefully. If we want to get the attention of the LJW, we all have to agree to stay off of the site until they back down from this, this...I don't really know what to call it. I am beginning to think some of the above posts which suggest the avatar disappearances and the desire to use the Facebook component as a scam to increase advertising revenues may have merit. The survey questions disappeared for a few days and I thought I'd been set free. I go to this site daily and have used it as a model for our own site at may work. I always ask the question...what keeps me coming back to KUSports.com when I rarely ever visit any other sight. New content, the fun of posting and seeing what the regulars are saying. I don't want to know them by their real names, I already know them by their avatars and site names. This is a big part of what makes it cool. I ignore the little inappropriate runs and have watched others "self police" the site when people talk about someone inappropriately. They tease me at my work because when I say my blog name, they think it sounds like I'm saying something dirty. It really surprised me because I never gave that idea a second thought, but had to admit they had a point, This is mikehawk signing off.

dylans 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm near tears here reading the last posts. I feel as though I am losing a handful of great friends. It's been a blast. I sincerely hope we can all meet up again sometime in this lifetime... Jaybate, HEM, Atl, MileHigh, Blown and others I'm forgetting hope to see your writing styles and opinions here in the future (if not let me know where!)

Just a few hours until the curtain closes on a beautiful era. Dylan Shotton

Steve Gantz 6 years, 5 months ago

I will no longer be able to comment during work which I find to be problematic. Lunchtime = KUSports time, and I usually glance at the articles and get right to the comments. This is a shame.

We might write stupid things, false things, or just boring things, but we are rarely uncivil with people. LIke others mentioned friendships will suddenly vanish, cyberfriends gone. Usage of the site will drop significantly. Heck a lifelong dream of seeing my team in a national championship game came about because of this site.

We'll see what it's like, I'm sure some of you will show up, others obviously gone. I'll still be here as Steve Gantz. RCJHKU

Andrew Ledell 6 years, 5 months ago

Unlike so many above, this is actually a reason for me to come BACK to reading this site. The too-frequent toxicity of the anonymous comments and time I wasted reading them kept me away at least the past 2-3 years, even while I've really enjoyed tweeting with Matt and Gary (with my real name, which I'm never ashamed to use).

Steve Gantz 6 years, 5 months ago

Dragonslayer, BrooksMD-who got me my superdome tickets, HighElite, MemHawk, Ralster, Overseas, stupidmichael, nuleafhawk, LAHawk, Wishawk, ChiHawk, Texashawk, plasticj, Jaybate, Oakville, Khuff, jayhawkinnc, dagger, kufan90, boouk, vailhawk, truehawk, melrank, phoghat, kula, phogphan, bigmanu, pikespeak, marchphog, bayhawkaholic, hawk90, moonwalk, and some others I've forgetting, thanks!

Ben Berglund 6 years, 5 months ago

This is gonna be a great year for hoops, guys. I know some have expressed doubts about the defense, but they're Bill Self's Jayhawks. They will figure it out. Does anyone remember 2005? The context is that we lost 3 senior superstars Wayne "Big Dub" Simien, KU's all-time leading assist record-holder Aaron Miles & Keith "K-Freeze" Langford. The "Fab 4" freshman class, with a little help from an experienced PG managed to only lose 7 games all season. I don't necessarily believe that history repeats, but it sure echoes. Frankly, it looks like we have a lot more pieces in place in 2013-14. We definitely won't have to rely on a walk-on as one of our big men (even if Moody was the greatest walk on of all time). I do realize we lost in the first round of the tournament that season, but this iteration has the potential to turn out even better. I know HCBS has learned a lot in the meantime.

All that being said, I have some concerns about our collective future here. Can I really no longer comment on basketball stories without verifying my identity? Have we as a society become so weak that we need to be even further tracked to be protected from people's mean internet comments? Part of what's frustrating is that I really haven't seen any behavior in the comments that would warrant this new policy. Certainly in other forums (including those owned by World), people say some ugly things. Even so, this particular way of enforcing the policy is somehow both exclusive and invasive. I actually have more of a problem with the latter. Jessie has said it has nothing to do with advertising, and while I don't doubt his sincerity, it doesn't quite smell right.

It's been fun comparing notes and prognosticating with you guys. If I continue to read articles here, I'll likely no longer comment (big talker that I've been), and am definitely open to other forums (fora?). Ad astra per aspera & rock chalk!

Michael Auchard 6 years, 5 months ago

From what I've read, if the LJW isn't making more money off of the Google Empire or other such online giants for advertising, this was a huge mistake. I'm all for print media making revenue, but alienating your fans is a terrible decision.

If this all does work out, way to go. If it doesn't, get ready to close up shop for good within five years. The only thing this paper has going for it anymore, in this new era of digital media, are the sports webpage and local news -- and you just dumped a big steaming pile all over both halves.

Good luck.

Scott Smetana 6 years, 5 months ago

Farewell everyone. This was an extremely civil and fun message board and something I enjoyed reading every day. Too bad the changes could have only been made where the problem is: anything to do with politics.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 5 months ago

From the looks of things it seems as if all the ignorant posters are the ones complaining.

Chris1955 6 years, 5 months ago

Folks, it's been a good ride. I'm hoping this forum for commentary will reappear in some other venue. Perhaps Jaybate can create Jaybate.com, and post links to the LJW articles, and we can comment as we used to on the Jaybate.com site.

I feel a bit sorry for the all of the LJW writers, because I can't believe that they are in favor of this either. They're probably having to spout the company line on this topic.

There are far too many regular commenters for me to attempt to single out for praise. Thank you for sharing your comments, I have (mostly) enjoyed reading them.

As for me, well, I'm not going to create a Facebook account, In case anyone is interested, Chris 1955 is really Chris Buffington. Goodbye and goodnight!

VailHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm 42 and vividly remember getting tears three distinct times when Roy left. This could be worse.