Originally published October 8, 2013 at 12:45p.m., updated October 9, 2013 at 12:04a.m.

SG Kelly Oubre commits to Kansas basketball

No. 12-rated player says 'nobody is bigger than the program' at KU

Kansas recruits Kelly Oubre, left, and King McClure watch from behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog, Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

When the going gets tough, new Kansas University basketball commit Kelly Oubre Jr. takes a long look at a prized possession that hangs on his bedroom wall.

“He got a black belt (in karate) when he was 7. It’s his first sense of accomplishment,” Kelly’s dad, Kelly Oubre Sr., said Tuesday after his son, a 6-foot-7, 200-pound senior shooting guard from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., orally committed to play basketball at KU.

“I always refer to that when times get rough for him, so he can actually see what he accomplished early on. It’s why he doesn’t quit on things that he starts,” Oubre Sr. added.

Oubre, who chose KU over runner-up Kentucky and Florida, said, “of course I kind of lost all my karate skills (in concentrating on hoops the past many years), but I’m proud of my black belt. I’m very proud of it.”

After earning the black belt in his hometown of New Orleans — Kelly moved to Richmond, Texas, with dad after Hurricane Katrina hit when he was in fourth grade — Oubre Jr. “decided he wanted to do something different. He wanted to play basketball and has been playing ever since,” Oubre’s dad said.

Oubre has had a steady rise in basketball, climbing to No. 12 in Rivals.com’s rankings following his junior year at Richmond’s Bush High, where he averaged 22.7 points a game. He’s moved to the Nevada prep school for his senior year.

“Kelly is the top player in 2014. I’m a biased dad but also a basketball aficionado,” Oubre Sr., said. “He can feed the post from anywhere. He can run the point, play the 2, the 3. He can play the 4. He can post up and take you off the dribble, do pretty much whatever coach needs him to do.”

Noted Findlay Prep coach and former Georgetown standout Jerome Williams: “He has length, athleticism, shooting range that does not limit him on the court, is an extremely hard worker and great student. He’s carrying a 3.8 (GPA) here.”

Oubre — he plans on studying sports management in college — learned enough about KU on his Thursday-Saturday official visit that he decided on Saturday night that KU was the place to be. He canceled his Oct. 18 visit to Kentucky on Tuesday morning, then tweeted, “Blessed to say that I have Committed to Kansas University !! #RockChalk”

“I was up there a couple days. I could see the brotherhood they have. I see how in coach (Bill) Self’s program, they are all for it. They treat everybody like there’s nothing bigger than the team, even the guys who are one-and-done. Nobody is bigger than the program,” Oubre Jr. said.

He’s a big fan of the leader of the Jayhawks.

“Coach Self is pretty much like ‘Godfather’ of the whole program because everybody buys into his system,” Oubre Jr. said. “They follow his lead because when he is happy, the whole team is happy. When he is in the gym, everybody is up tempo. It all revolves around him. He gets down to business when it needs to be done because he wants to win national championships.”

Self stressed to Oubre and his dad that Kelly would be an instant impact player.

“We spoke to him that he needed a replacement for Andrew (Wiggins, 6-8 freshman) because Andrew will probably be one-and-done,” Oubre Sr. said. “Even if Andrew stayed, my mindset was Kelly can learn from Andrew a lot about the position and go against a top-notch guy consistently. Even if Wayne (Selden, 6-5 freshman guard) stays, it’s still a win-win. There wasn’t a bad scenario we could put together.”

There’s a chance Oubre will stay at KU more than one season.

“If it calls for that, yes, I could,” Oubre Jr. said. “I have no problem with that. If the time’s right and I’m ready to come out, I’d do that.”

The elder Oubre, who is a special-education teacher, said: “That’s one of the reasons behind choosing Kansas. Coach Self doesn’t kick you out if you are not ready. I don’t care too much for it (one-and-done) because if you look at it over the last couple drafts, the success of the guys one-and-done is few and far between. Every once in a while you find guys who can make it through. I’m more concerned about his education after maybe a two-year stint or three-year stint. How close is he to that degree and having a greater business mind going into the next level, whatever that is?” added Oubre Sr. “I think the first year in college as well as the pros, maybe two, is a learning curve. That learning curve can be cut considerably if he stayed and developed in college.”

Self speaks: KU coach Self could not comment on the specific signing in accordance with NCAA rules. He did cite Late Night in the Phog as a great recruiting tool at Tuesday’s Coaches vs. Cancer event in Kansas City, Mo.

“It’s hard not to like what you see at Late Night. But we did get a commitment. I can’t talk about it. But we obviously got some good news today, and we need to get a little bit more good news,” said Self, who has a minimum of two scholarships available (Tarik Black and Wiggins with possibility of others leaving).

“I’m really happy with the players we have, but the chances that all of them are going to remain at KU next year is probably not the greatest of odds with some guys with the potential to enter the draft early. We’ve got to be prepared, and today was a good start for us.”

Oubre, who said he “felt the love” of the fans at Late Night, said he would try to help in recruiting.

“I’m trying to recruit my boy Tyus and Jahlil,” he said of package deal Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley, Minn., High, ranked No. 5) and Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young, ranked No. 1). And big Cliff (Alexander, 6-8 Chicago Curie, No. 4). We can be the best recruiting class probably ever. We have a chance to get it done.”

Cliff sets date: Alexander, who also attended Late Night, tweeted on Tuesday that he will announce his college choice Nov. 16, his birthday. He has a list of KU, Michigan State, Illinois, Memphis and DePaul.

Comments

madcow 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh, I thought this wasn't happening until 3. Great news,

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

With only 2 schollies available next year and a fleet of elite recruits being rumored to favor KU, this has turned into a game of musical chairs. Oubre was very wise to grab a seat at the school he wanted while it was still there.

I am curious if the Alexander-Lyle duo will break up and Alexander is willing to go to KU without Lyle. He would be the perfect fill-in at Black's roster spot for next year.

Dan Cook 1 year, 2 months ago

No need to keep getting hung up on the "only 2 scholarships available" thing. There will be more scholarships available than 2.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 2 months ago

Lets not get too carried away here. Two for sure, MAYBE two more but I'm guessing only one which totals three. If its sounding more and more like there will be 4 elite recruits wanting to pick KU expect to see a transfer. Its tough because I wouldn't want to see any of our current guys leave.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

2014 likely won't be larger than a 4 or 5 man class, but Bill Self needs to have plans in place in case it balloons to a 6 man class (Black graduates, Wiggins, Selden, Embiid, and Ellis declare, and White or Greene transfer out because of the Oubre signing) so self doesn't get caught by surprise like he did with the 2011 class and he had to scramble and fill it with a bunch of low ranked or JuCo players.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

Possibly. But there are still more players looking at KU as a favorite than there are spots that will be available.

martyks 1 year, 2 months ago

Only 2 scholarships available? Get real. There's ALWAYS scholarships available... always... especially for the blue chippers. Players who would not see court time are assisted in finding programs where they can play. That's the best spin you can put on it, and really, it's pretty accurate... so don't sweat that "only 2" thing just yet.

hawk316 1 year, 2 months ago

Great news, indeed, madcow. I'm especially encouraged by the father's comments about not being a fan of "one-and-done."

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to the family! Been waitin for a smooth lefty for a while now. Rock Chalk!

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 2 months ago

Yep, he's gonna remind some of KoolKeithFreeze!!!

shawhoop 1 year, 2 months ago

Sweet! I can sign up to create Internet games for $49.95 a month! Oh wait, that's not the big news?

Michael Auchard 1 year, 2 months ago

Heck yeah! You made the right decision, Kell.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 2 months ago

i'll piggyback Yahweh - indeed the right decision! Kelly, welcome to the Jayhawk Nation family, FOE!!!

Jim Erickson 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank goodness... The last decade or so has been a drag :)

1 year, 2 months ago

We are blessed for you to be a part of our family, Kelly!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

Awesome!! This is a great first domino to the 2014 class. Welcome aboard, Mr. Oubre! Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!!!!!

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

I think landing Wiggins will pay huge dividends in terms of getting 5 starts to commit to us. But does anyone else get a little worried that Bill will start filling up his teams of OADs? Don't get me wrong, I want the best players to play for KU. But that also means fewer Simiens, Sherrons, T-Robs, etc. I guess I'll trade 3 year players for banners.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

Since I cannot predict the future, I do not worry about such things. Fretting over "what-if's" just stresses people out unnecessarily. If you are addicted to stress, stress over things that are ACTUALLY happening.

I hope KU and Self continue to recruit the best possible players at every position of need that they can get.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Self has shown a pretty solid balance, which is really what you need to compete in today's environment. You cannot just forget about the best players in every class. If you do, you will not win. But you also need a good group of roll players, as well as those guys that take some time to develop. Self seems to have the right mix of it all... and clearly it is working as he is the winningest coach, like ever, over the last 10 years. Having an OAD or two on a national championship caliber squad every year is just the reality of the situation. Now, if he has to reload with 7 of them every year like Cal, then perhaps it might be time to be concerned...

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 2 months ago

Says he is the 12th best player in the country. Is that really considered a "one and done" player?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't know but you can ask Ben McLemore (#31) or Wayne Selden next year.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 2 months ago

McLemore sat out his freshman year, so I wouldn't consider him a one and done.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I actually agree w/you but the media and others have called him a one and done. Plus, he didn't redshirt..he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Same results but different causes.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't think of any school who would not have signed Simien but like you HawknewOverseas, I want to see players who stick around more than one year.

HCBS has been consistently signing players who he feels are the best fit for the team. We've had several 5-Star players in the past who have played two or more years. I don't think Kansas will turn into a one and done school. Collins, Robinson and EJ were all considered five-star players by at least one of the major recruiting sites:

Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush and teammate Julian Wright were all 5 Star recruits and the fourth member of that class was Micah Downs who was ranked in the top 25 by Scout.

Coach Self signs the best kids at every position. He's been doing so from his first recruiting class.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 2 months ago

I really think McLemore wanted to stay more than one year. He really seemed to enjoy his time at KU. But I suspect it was the draw of the money and what it could do to help his family, particularly his mother, that finally won out. Anyhow, I just got the impression he really wanted to stay another year. Strictly an opinion. No facts to base it on.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 2 months ago

At least HCBS is a much better coach than Calimari.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

Also, how awesome is it having Late Night so early in the year, before the other schools have their respective Midnight Madness? I love that he didn't even visit UK.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

Awesome. Thanks to all of my fellow Jayhawks who are able to attend Late Night, make it such a special event, and demonstrate to recruits what a special program we have at KU.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Kelly. Glad you're a Jayhawk!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

In Oubre's quick announcement it makes me recall two things - 1) Selden's quick announcement after Late Night last year & 2) my own college choice - I was to visit both KU & K-State in the same weekend & we cancelled going to visit K-State! :) This from a St. Louisan so it's not like I was as familiar with the schools, areas, etc. like native Kansans are.

BTW, while Rivals has him 12th, ESPN's Top 100 for 2014 has him 10th.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

The smell of manure will cause headaches, good choice!

ohjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I, too, had a similar experience. I had narrowed my choices to KU and Penn State. My family and I drove out to Kansas from Ohio during spring break of my junior year of high school. I knew as soon as I stepped foot on campus that was where I wanted to be. I couldn't explain it. We never did visit PSU. I also remember walking into the Fieldhouse and being so in awe, even though it was completely empty. It truly is a special place!

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

And 24/7 has him 4th. Let just go with the fact that he is REALLY GOOD.

Brandon Deines 1 year, 2 months ago

He is number 4 overall in the 247 rankings. Oubre, along with another of our targets, Myles Turner, is one of the fastest risers in the rankings from this summer (two others who have done that recently are Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid). I think that's a good thing. Sometimes the kids that get ranked high very early on are simply there because they matured physically before their classmates. When kids play catch-up in the rankings like this, I think it can mean that their ceiling is higher than some other kids who were previously ranked ahead of them. I've read speculation from analysts that Oubre, Alexander and Turner have the best pro upside of the kids in this class. Regardless of where Oubre ends up, it sounds like we got another good one on and off the court.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

How can you not sign after that seeing how we do Late Night?

Anyone else read King McClure's comments? Talking about how him and his dad were so amazed at the 5k people standing outside of the feildhouse when they drove up?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I know he's a Class of '15 & Not "14, but I'd be in utter shock if we didn't end up with him too.

Sally Presson 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to Kansas, Kelly, you'll never regret comint to the greatest school in the nation. As a die hard fan, we love all our Jayhawks and you will definately feel the love!! rock chalk!!!

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

Those of us who have been questioning Bill Self's recruiting in recent years - and I am one of those doubters - should shut our pieholes. Self is as capable a recruiter as ever. And it is great to steal another recruit away from Calamari and the Mildcats.

Benz Junque 1 year, 2 months ago

You (and others) were right to question a few of Self's recruiting years in the past. It is only a problem if you try to project those problems forward. KU has a great buzz right now that they need to take advantage of. Keep 'em coming, coach!

Sae Thirtysix 1 year, 2 months ago

J_U_D - good msg. HCBS is worthy of recruiting praise. It is a tough world out there and he has been consistently good - even great the last couple of years.

gorilla10 1 year, 2 months ago

Until we renovate memorial stadium. Every football recruit should visit during basketball season!!!!

BringBackMark 1 year, 2 months ago

The only renovation needed at Memorial Stadium is wearing black(?) every home game and staring out at the turf looking for answers. Oh yes, hot water in the upper concourse would be nice along with turning down the volume on the big TV set.

I loved Oubre's dad's comments about getting an education. That is so lost in college athletics these days. Amazing that I don't think there's been a single post to this article that even noticed that.

namohcan_99 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to the Kansas family, Mr. Oubre! Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

Queue Master OakVilleJHawk Kenobi on the nicknaming in......3......2........1

and the

"pretty much" in the 'everything is there for me" statement is a huge qualifier.

I hope he proves everybody right.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Your wish is my command:

1] Somewhere Oubre The Rainbow!

2] It's All Oubre But the Shouting!

3] Kelly "O"!!

4] Oubre and Out!

5] Kelly Chill Kill Oubre!

6] Kelly "The Cobra" Oubre!!!

That will due for starters, anyway. :)

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 2 months ago

Kool Kelly Freeze!!! Also, it's oo-bray, not oh-ber, FYI...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

I know, FYI... :). Hey, no fair naming him after yourself. God help us if ahperse..starting doing that !!!!

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Knockout!

“You just got KO’d”!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

The "Oubre" talented Mr. Kelly.

Or the uber talented Mr. Oubre.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

I will bet Kentucky makes sure their "Late Night" is before KU's from now on.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't need to...with Calipari able to get a NBA exhibition game, Wizards (Wall) versus Pelicans (Davis), to play in Rupp arena the night after Big Blue Madness, there is no changing dates.

Kyle Crenshaw 1 year, 2 months ago

that NBA ticket prob goes for as low as $5 anyways

jazzhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

So, maybe we counter with the 2-time defending World Champion Miami Heat with their KU-Grad point guard versus, hmmm, maybe the Brooklyn Nets featuring a World Champion KU-Grad guard and a KU-grad reserve guard? Just sayin......

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

They mix like water and, ahem... vinegar...ugh! But then again, you know what they say, everybody loves a winner. Just in case UK makes the NIT again-LOL.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Kentucky is going after Stanley Johnson a lot harder than they were going after Oubre.

COHawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Literal LOL on that one. Thanks Brock.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Make no mistake, this is a huge, huge pick up. This kid might be the best player in the class.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I've read more than one Scout suggest that. And he'll likely be top 10 in every recruiting service by the end of the year (247 has him 4th, Scout currently at 11). I don't think it's a stretch to say he "might be" the best in the class...

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, meant to also include ESPN, where he is currently ranked 10th. The chances that he will end up inside the top 10 in all of those are fairly high.

Chayse Patrick 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe Weis can use the recruiting tool as saying "if you come to Kansas you'll be playing at a school with the best bb coach and fans in the world"? Even tho' it won't his coaching abilities at all.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

Having to make a Kentucky comment after every commitment we get gives the impression of an inferiority complex, in my humble opinion.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree. I'd rather just worry about us (and have others worry about us), rather than constantly comparing ourselves to Kentucky and others.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

I definitely agree there is value in the Media reporting on it, and I agree with you on that. You also seem to agree with me that it isn't necessary for our fan base to constantly compare ourselves to UK. We all really know where this game was born, and winningest programs are tentacles of THIS University.

ClydeTurnbuckle 1 year, 2 months ago

So...is Brannen Greene going to transfer?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Sure, but Oak is really spoiled -- KU, Steelers, and baseball Cardinals.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

HEM..I hate the Steelers..c'mon, I've been an abused Rams fan for 20 years and even a more beat-up Blues fan since before some of you were even born!!!!!!!

Still, being a Cards fan goes a LLOONNGGGG way toward sports redemption!!!!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Why did I think you were a Steelers' fan? I had that embedded somewhere in the brain.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

You must be a younger St. Louisan to be a Rams'o fan. Most real St. Louis's NFL fans picked other teams .

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

Most older St. Louis NFL fans are abused Arizona Cardinals fans. The Rams are just insult to injury. But yes, they have had a few good years with "All Things Possible" Kurt Warner and they had a pretty slick running back named Marshall Faulk.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

OAK..I've been an abused Ram fan since Roman Gabriel was their quarterback. Finally found a good enough reason to say "ENOUGH" when they moved to St. Louis.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 2 months ago

Awesome news! Glad to have you aboard Kelly, Rock Chalk!

Not sure what his hairdo is called but is it too soon for KU Merchandising to begin designs for Oubre Wigs?!? I'm picturing a whole section of Oubre's Hombres all sporting the same hair, haha.

Also, think the fans should cool off with the KU vs. Kentucky comparisons. When recruits look at the whole package, (coaching, development, history, recent trends, etc) KU is definitely the superior program right now. Players that aren't smart enough to see that aren't players I'd want here anyway. Sounds like Kelly saw the light while he was here and made a great decision. Only one (maybe 2) schollys left, some of the other recruits that wait until spring to commit may get left out...

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 2 months ago

I believe that's a two-tone faux-hawk hi-top fade... ;)

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation Mr Oubre. I was on my feet with the rest at late night when they introduced the recruits. That " Jayhawk love" you felt is the real deal. This from a grad who has been enjoying AFH for more than 4 decades. Rock Chalk!!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

2014-15 (if Selden and Embiid bolt with Wiggins)

1] Tharpe 5'11"

2] Greene 6'7"

3] Oubre 6'7"

4] Ellis 6'8"

5] Turner 6'11" or Alexander 6'8"

6] Traylor 6'8"

7] White 6'6" or Frankamp 6'0"

8] Lucas 6'10" or Mickelson 6'10"

9] Mason 5'11"

It just looks nice on paper.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 2 months ago

Yep, I'd say if we land a talented big man we'd have a great recruiting class given our needs and available scholarships.

illuminatironin 1 year, 2 months ago

We should show Riggle and Sudeikis some love too. I am sure it makes a difference having Riggle do Late Nite and seeing them both in the stands at games.

Hawk8086 1 year, 2 months ago

How about showing Olivia some love also? I'll volunteer for that.

johnproc 1 year, 2 months ago

Geez, what's with all the parenthetical corrections on Oubre's quotes? Unnecessary and distracting.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

Wait, you didn't know that Andrew's last name was Wiggins? Or that Coach Self's first name was Bill? Or that Late Night was in Allen Fieldhouse? Or that Kelly was on his visit when he was treated well?

^Sarcasm^ I completely agree with you.

milehighhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

It's like we couldn't understand (basic English).

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

That's journalism's protocol. I guess it's for the one person in 10,000 that doesn't know the last names, etc.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 2 months ago

It is a little annoying to read, but they do that on the chance that this article is picked up by other media markets and printed there. Yes, everyone reading a sports article likely knows who Wiggins and Self are, but rules are rules.

DDDHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Welcome to you, and your family, Kelly! You're on your way to joining the Jayhawk family!

AsadZ 1 year, 2 months ago

BBball, After winning the NC Bill in 2008, Bill Self went through couple of medicore recruiting years. And, unexpected early departures of Selby/Twins hurt KU.

During this time, Calapri, loaded with top notch talent, also taught him a valuable lesson. KU's team with decent talent and upper classmen had an incredible year, went all the way to the NC championship game, and came so close to the ultimate. But still it was so far, in the end it was Calapari's top notch talent that came on the top.

Bill Self learned the lesson. I thank your coach.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry...it was two missed dunks that if made would have thus left Elijah with the ball with 20 seconds and no pressure to gun up in Unibrow's face therefore giving Calipari another "Mario Moment" as we beat UK on a buzzer three for NC #6!!!!!!! Top talent or not...that was our game to win!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

But wasn't it Doron Lamb who killed us????

Mick Allen 1 year, 2 months ago

Carmelo Anthony already showed us that in New Orleans 10 years ago.

brooksmd 1 year, 2 months ago

Hawks didn't help with all the bricks tossed from the FT line.

AsadZ 1 year, 2 months ago

Anthony Davis was definitely a freshman-sensation but he could not do it himself. That team was loaded at all positions. And no team had an answer for Kid Gilchrist, he was one of a kind.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

To me, it was the shooting of Teague that hurt the most. I could give up a few shots to Lamb, and Kidd was just to athletic for us to stop, but Teague seemed to sink a three every time I felt like we were gaining momemtum.

brooksmd 1 year, 2 months ago

Last year's elite UK squad didn't do so hot. Nat Champs to NIT first round bounce to Robert Morris.

AsadZ 1 year, 2 months ago

Can you re-post comparison on 3 spot

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

A more capable Kevin Young would be good indeed. A great motor can't be coached and can be a game-changer, especially with skills.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah...but the 'fro beats that red squirrel in the head 'do.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey "d"..that height doesn't even include the hair!!!!!

Ethan Berger 1 year, 2 months ago

Was about to comment but you stole most of my thoughts. Especially 1,2, I noticed when watching his highlight tape that he looks like he still has some room to grow. He looks like he could get up in the range you speak of. Has that Kevin Durant body type, and I'm pretty sure KD just stopped growing. Also noticed some things I wasn't a huge fan of but it was only his junior year. The main thing was his handles when he got pressured. The ball got away from him some. His elbow sticks out when he shoots but it works. So I won't complain to much about that. Overall I don't think he will be a one and done. He might be a Thomas Robinson mold of three years then a top 5 pick.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Regarding your first item - it's 7'2" with the hair !

mikehawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Can't add anything to what has been said...oh, I know...love the doo, man. Very cool.

Shannon Gustafson 1 year, 2 months ago

I was actually impressed with Greene's ball handling at late night, I think he can be a ball handler at the 2 by 2015.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

That was my thinking - Br. Greene OVER White. White's more of a SF for sure.

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 2 months ago

And in other news, Bruce Weber hit the recruiting trail. He is hoping to find ANYBODY that is willing to play for K-State.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

If KU gets Cliff Alexander, I will call it a great class. Everything else is gravy.

dumbarton 1 year, 2 months ago

Way to go Kelly! Welcome to the Jayhawk family! You made the right choice and we're honored to have you!!. On a side note, Tyshawn Taylor looked awesome tonight preseason against the Wizards. 16 points and 6 assists. Dude is playing great.

mandomax 1 year, 2 months ago

the headline of this article lists Oubre as a SG, but most recruiting sites (and his size) indicate he is a SF. Any clarification? I know he says he can play anywhere from the 2-4...

Michael Auchard 1 year, 2 months ago

Oubre kinda says that in the article, plus Self does what you're talking about all the time in his system. This isn't the '80s. Versatile players can roam among many different positions these days.

Joe Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Now that Oubre has committed, many are already speculating on his status at KU. I like what I'm reading.

“It’s a win-win all the way around,” Kelly Sr. said. “We don’t talk about one-and-done possibilities in my house, because I’m more concerned about maturity, longevity and development.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/08/4539553/ku-target-kelly-oubre-cancels.html#storylink=cpy

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 2 months ago

WOW!! This is GREAT news!!

I especially love what Kelly Sr. says about his sons education, both in hoops and the classroom. Sounds like KO could be here 2 or 3 years, depending on many factors. KO Sr. also dissed UK for kicking players out the door when maybe they weren't ready, great to hear from an astute parent. Rad hair!! and a black belt at 7?? I really doubt that he's forgotten as much karate as he thinks.

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Kelly!!

Stu Van Gorp 1 year, 2 months ago

UK-Knocked out in the NAIA. Looms heavy IMHO. And rightly so. Welcome Home Kelly. F.O.E.

ccarp 1 year, 2 months ago

Is Wesley not on scholarship? Wouldn't he make 3 schoolies?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Yep, rigiht now there's technically NONE officially left. Oubre takes Black's as he will have exhausted his eligibility.

The next one to commit would be under the OBVIOUS presumption that Wiggins is OAD.

Any after that would be under any presumptions that Selden and/or Embiid are OAD.

So if J. Okafor & Jones commit BEFORE Alexander. That would mean that EITHER Selden or Embiid would HAVE TO BE known to be OAD.

So in some ways if Okafor & Jones go to Duke & we get Alexander.....if nothing else happens can always hope that Selden & Embiid stick around.

***You would rather reward the patience of a Traylor, Lucas or White then chase them off.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Strong possibility that we would see someone transfer, as well.

Eric Schneider 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Okafor and Jones will wait until late spring. They seem like they are riding the whole process out. By then we should have a pretty good idea who's staying and going.

Gotta admit. The more I read about Oubre, the more I like the fit. Great teammate, good student. Seems to understand and appreicate the Kansas Family. Can't wait 'til he's on campus.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Okafor and Jones have said all along that they would announce by the Early (Fall) Signing Period.

Only two have made it blatantly OBVIOUS that they were waiting 'til Spring = Myles Turner & Rashad Vaughn & I HONESTLY believe that Embiid & Selden's decisions play a big part in that.

justanotherfan 1 year, 2 months ago

Everyone knows that KU will sign at least 3 players this recruiting year. I'm betting on four.

Oubre is 1.

Wiggins is a OAD. No #1 ranked recruit in any service has returned for his sophomore season since the OAD era began. I doubt Wiggins becomes the first. That opens up a scholarship.

Selden and Embiid are both moving up draft boards quickly. If either one plays well, they are likely gone.

It looks like Self is trying to blend a team of OAD high talent guys with 3-4 year players. He will always have guys like Perry Ellis, Jamari Traylor, Naadir Tharpe (Releford, Johnson, Withey before them) that stay for four years (or even five). The key is to put enough breakout talent around them to compete for a title.

Wiggins, Selden and Embiid are the breakout talent this year, surrounded by a host of four year players.

Next year Oubre and whomever else signs (Alexander? Okafor?) will be those elite talents surrounded by a junior standout like Perry Ellis and a senior PG like Naadir Tharpe.

This is reloading at its best.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Yep - I suspect that for '15/'16 unlikely to sign a SF w/ Br. Greene then a Jr. & White III then a Sr.

Though I know we ARE hot after SG, Jayson Tatum from out of St. Louis (still say he goes to Florida as two other players from his school - Bradley Beal & David Lee, went there before).

Matt Spitzli 1 year, 2 months ago

Looks like a great player and a fine young man. Also very pleased with the quote from his dad; sounds like he has a solid family foundation.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 2 months ago

It is indeed the end of an era. Now instead of inferring that you are all a bunch of pussies from your blind acceptance of Tait's ridiculous optimism, your beta male jaybate worship, and your constant lament that the greatest football coach we ever had was "abuthive", we get to see your vaginas for real on your social media pages. It's a great day for Robin "accountability" Smith. Undoubtedly his incessant flagging of other users led to these measures. I can't wait to confirm that he really is a raging faggot when he links his homosexual E-Harmony account. It is fitting for the crusade to end with the ultimate confirmation that our fanbase is so thin-skinned we can't even take anonymous, cyber criticism. An actual goddamned man like Mangino was never going to fit in here in the testosterone free zone. Every man on here was suffocated by the festering cun'ts of 20 Marchphogs and their penis envy. While the donors at Late Night may have been a substantial step toward taking the fire out of Allen Fieldhouse, Neil Dougherty is spinning in his grave at the thought of all the menstruating vaginas of our sheepish fanbase staining the benches even in the student section.

Don't fret. You guys will find another place to congregate, like your local Curves Fitness. There are plenty of places for modern, liberated women in our society. If I were jaybate, however, I'd be careful. If Oakville and ATL aren't too turned off by his glorified clitoris, he may want to consider investing in a rape whistle once he reveals his real name.

Anyway, ever since Mangino, you guys have been making your bed. Now lie in it. Fuc'k Robin Smith.

Keep Sawin' Wood.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 2 months ago

Both Kelly's seem like wonderful people. Kelly Jr.'s attitude seems so level headed, and his father obviously provides a great support system. We should be extremely proud to call them Jayhawks!

divepierredive 1 year, 2 months ago

Bleacher Report's initial report on Oubre's commitment included the following ("marquee problems"), which I thought was an interesting slip:

"Oubre was rated as the No. 4 prospect in the country by 247 Sports, and the outlet's composite ranking had him at No. 8 overall. Both rankings have him as the No. 2 shooting guard in the class. 247 Sports listed Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina and Georgetown among the other marquee problems that had shown interest in Oubre before the decision was made." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1803192-kelly-oubre-to-kansas-jayhawks-land-5-star-sg-prospect?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=kansas-jayhawks-basketball

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 2 months ago

Oubre (SG/SF) is undoubtedly a great get, and adding Alexander (PF) would be even greater. However, while I would be estatic with just those two committing, I struggle with our quest for a C and PG out of this '14 class. With NT, FM and CF returning, I think pursuing a '15 PG is more important. If Embiid returns, we will have JE, HM and LL at Center, and thus a '15 C pursuit would be more important. Especially if Zimmerman (C) is available and interested. As always though, I trust Coach Self to be the "Head Chef" when gathering the right ingredience for a NC caliber team, and know we will be fine no matter what.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

A LOT of people have thought that McClure, while a SG could play Point in College.

bennybob 1 year, 2 months ago

Another potential OAD?!

Any body ready to admit they were wrong about the whole "Self doesn't like OADS' and "Hes taking lower guys on purpose" rationalizations during the recruiting slump?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd be surprised if he went the Cal route. Just last year he was still taking Mason (ranked ~ 80th in Rivals), Frankamp & Br. Grene were in the mid-30's to 40's depending on the pub., & we got the transfer of Mickelson who was rated right ~ 99 / 100 when he came out of high school.

Taking on those types is not going to suddenly end. We'll have positions that we're already good for a year or two where we might look for depth & potential future starters at whatever position and then we'll have other positions when we're looking for that there and now pertinent need where he'll go for it. For example, I'd be surprised if he went for a PF in Class of '15. Center - yeah, maybe, but not a PF - already have Perry there, not to mention 3 or 4 others who could come in there.

packywacky88 1 year, 2 months ago