Saturday, October 5, 2013

Charlie Weis: Tony Pierson could miss ‘substantial’ time with head injury

Kansas running back Tony Pierson shakes Texas Tech defensive back Bruce Jones during the first quarter on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 at Memorial Stadium.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis talks after loss to Texas Tech

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis talks after his team's 54-16 loss to Texas Tech on Oct. 5, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TTU

Kansas receiver Tony Pierson could miss extended time after suffering a head injury in the third quarter, KU coach Charlie Weis said in his press conference following the Jayhawks' 54-16 loss to Texas Tech on Saturday.

After a 39-yard reception down the sideline midway through the third quarter, Pierson was knocked out of bounds and remained sprawled out on his back before trainers rushed to his side.

"His head hurt, so I'm sure that he took good knock on the head and has a concussion," Weis said. "He'll probably miss some substantial time would be my guess."

After a few minutes on the turf, Pierson was helped to his feet and walked — with the help of trainers — over to the sideline.

"I think he landed on the track. I don't know that. That's what my kids said to me when I went over there," Weis said. "His eyes weren't really open yet. He was breathing and moving a little bit, but his eyes weren't open yet. The trainers and doctors were all over it. He started talking, then he started moving. He actually was moving around OK in the locker room."

Pierson finished with six catches for 118 yards against Tech.

Comments

texashawk10 12 months ago

There goes what little offense there was for KU.

Marc Frey 12 months ago

That is why the track has to go.

Phil Leister 12 months ago

Everyone show up to Memorial tomorrow with your shovels and let's get that damn track out of there.

In all seriousness, this is horrible news. Pierson is one of our only playmakers.

ahpersecoachingexperience 12 months ago

I'll take a concussed TP over anyone else we have playing for us!

Jake Waddle 12 months ago

I am one of the people that is usually amused by your comments ahpers... but that was a dumb comment.

Andy Tweedy 12 months ago

That's never been a reason to remove the track for me, there are so many other good reasons. But it certainly is now! Pierson really has been the only fun thing to watch on offense. Hope he gets better soon.

One positive from today...love the helmets and jerseys! Nothing else...

Brad Farha 12 months ago

Won't comment too much on the game itself, still too heartbroken. The atmosphere was awesome, and for a while there we looked good. As for Tony, there is no doubt about how it happened. It was his head hitting part of the track surface (the thin stripe that runs along the sideline of the field). I wasn't sure during the play, but they showed the replay on the video board and it was all too clear.

mandomax 12 months ago

all the best to Tony Pierson. Head injury is no joking matter, and we as fans shouldn't expect him to be back any time soon while he takes the time he needs to recover

Steve Jacob 11 months, 4 weeks ago

It's amazing how head injuries has become a big deal in the last three years. Five years ago, if he could see straight he would play next week. I worry in basketball about Connor Frankamp, with his concussion last season is he one hard foul away from his career being over? After the first major one, they get worse.