Friday, October 4, 2013

Weis fired up for Homecoming weekend’s festivities

Kansas University fans cheer for the Jayhawks during the homecoming game against Texas Tech on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2011, at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis has never tried to hide his appreciation for Kansas basketball and that came through again earlier this week when Weis spoke with reporters about the huge weekend ahead.

“We’re all going to be out at Allen Fieldhouse on Friday night (for Late Night in the Phog),” said Weis, who is expected to speak to the Fieldhouse crowd during tonight’s event. “And hopefully they’ve stayed out all night and they’re ready to go for an 11 a.m. kickoff (Saturday when KU football plays host to Texas Tech). I’m afraid if they go to sleep I might not catch them at 11. They might not be up at 11.”

While Late Night ushers in the official beginning of another college basketball season, this weekend also is a big one for KU’s football program. The Jayhawks will partake in Homecoming festivities throughout the weekend, with the Big 12 Conference opener against 20th-ranked Texas Tech serving as the centerpiece.

Since arriving in town a little less than two years ago, Weis has had nothing but good things to say about KU’s fan base. As he enters his second season of conference play, Weis would love nothing more than to give Jayhawks past and present something extra to cheer about on Saturday.

“I’m a little different than most college coaches,” Weis said. “I’m pretty passionate (about) the football team being part of the student body. I feel very strong about that. So I think that I’d like nothing more on Homecoming than a bunch of people there, for us to have a really good day and for us to go up to the student body at the end of the game having knocked this (Big 12 Conference losing) streak out of the way and be singing after a victory. That would mean an awful lot.”

In addition to the sentimentality associated with Homecoming reunions — several former KU football players are expected to be in town for this one — Weis said he would love to see his team end up on the right end of a Homecoming outcome for a change.

“It’s usually a special moment,” he said. “And to be honest with you I’m tired of being Homecoming (opponents) for everybody else. The only way they stop scheduling you for the Homecoming game is when you start beating some teams. So, you can talk about it all you want, but until you do it, it doesn’t mean anything.”

Comments

JHWKDW 1 year, 1 month ago

Get loud at the Football games KU Fans!

Seattle loud or KC Loud!

JHWKDW 1 year, 1 month ago

Also I hope we don't get screwed by the Refs like Iowa state did last night!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

We should be safe from said screwing. That usually only happens when the opponent is Texas.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 1 month ago

Another "BCS call moment for the 'horns"!

741hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I've been paying close attention for the past five years (following previous Texas favoritism). Only ONCE have I seen Texas on the short end of a bad call or lucky break! I think a psychological study of Big 12 refs is in order. They just can't bring themselves to call against Big Tex.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

That's no kidding. The first PI after Richardson was injured was bogus. Then the first fumble inside the five yard line, and they said that play, "stands"? Were the refs paying attention or protecting a wager they made? Then a second fumble, that Gray didn't get back, and they didn't even review that one? The refs were horrid. That was worse than the Green Bay at Seattle in the NFL Week 4 of 2012.

They also blew a take down holding call on the hail mary. But, the ISU dbacks should have been able to knock that ball down and didn't really make that good of an effort to do so.

741hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I've been paying close attention for five seasons now. Only ONCE in five years have I seen Texas on the end of a bad call or a lucky break. Only ONCE!

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

At the University of Kansas, we have a proud tradition when it comes to sports and that definitely includes football. No one can deny that we have competed successfully with our chief rivals, K-State and Missouri, over these many years. The names on the Ring of Honor are those of football players who gave everything they had to the team and to the University. They distinguished themselves to such an extent that they earned eternal recognition for being the best on the field. Many were native Kansans.

Now, here comes Super Bowl Charlie getting all gushy again as he tries to sell the basketball crowd on coming to the Homecoming game on Saturday. I wonder sometimes whether this guy has a personality disorder. This is the same loudmouth who revealed his true feelings with the "pile of crap" comment. There is no way in hell that Super Bowl Charlie would have uttered anything even remotely similar to that about his beloved Notre Dame. But he rather cavalierly treats our team and our University like the dirt on the bottom of his shoes in the name of recruiting. Not just strange but also stupid.

Some of us were offended by Super Bowl Charlie's derogatory comments about our team. One has to stop and ponder how the Ring of Honor guys felt about it. One has to wonder how Don Fambrough took it up there in Jayhawk heaven. OK, we know how he took it and we know what he had to say about it.

Some of us are upset that Super Bowl Charlie cannot seem to get the offense untracked even though he received top billing as an offensive genius when he was hired. Some of us are tired of the players taking the brunt of the criticism from the LJW staff and Weis apologists. We have tons of talent on this team. Develop it. Nurture it. Try some positive reinforcement. Guys like Ben Heeney have talent coming out of their ears they have so much talent. Spread it around.

So bring it Weis apologists. Super Bowl Charlie is the one who is responsible for regenerating a winning program. So far he is a complete bust. Super Bowl Charlie is the one who needs to look in the mirror. Our players are giving everything that they have to this team and this university. They work their butts off at practice and going to school. Get off their backs and start giving them the support that they deserve. Come to the game to support the players and the university. For what it's worth, Super Bowl Charlie can take a hike after the K-State game.

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

This will be the same guy saying "I told you so" when we beat Texas Tech tomorrow afternoon.

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

Kellerman predicting victory tomorrow...I am all in with that. See you at the game.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Love the passion Machingundude...but I tend to disagree regarding our talent level. We're playing with division 2 and fcs talent level O-linemen and D-linemen.

Brian Leiker 1 year, 1 month ago

Then I guess we should stop cheering when we get a commit from 4 star players because the recruiting services are off by a ton because we have out recruited ksu, isu, bu and some years ttech. We have bcs talent but an offensive system that stinks.

TulsaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I havn't liked some of the play calls or that we are not consistently better on offense.

I do like a head coach that say's what he is thinking. Believe it or not some of us have personalities that are not polished. Some of say what we are actually thinking, not what is cliche. Because I have a similar propencity I understood exactly what Coach Weis was trying to communicate.

By the way, Coach Weis was part of a winning Super Bowl team so even though your attempting to cast dispersions with the Super Bowl reference, it is still a fact of accomplishment for Coach Weis.

Bottom line your personal attack pushed me to support Coach Weis unconditionally.

David A. Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

I really think the "piece of crap" comment was aimed at the product- not people. And maybe I'm mistaken, but I can't recall individuals being thrown under the bus by the coach. But, I can totally see your concern about the players and affording dignity to student athletes. With that said, everything I've ever seen the coach say about individual players has always done that. If we look at the coach's actions- the respect he gives when talking about individual players, the tradition he started regarding the alma mater, the pride he takes in the basketball team, and so on- I think the guy is sincerely invested in KU. I remember him saying on several occassions that the university sells itself. Just a final thought- its only been a season and 3 games. Lets give his coaching and development a chance.

leonard 1 year, 1 month ago

Your emotional, drama queen claptrap is poorly disguised as passion.

Charlie has the program moving in the right direction. He's dramatically increased the academic performance of the football squad...loudly and often supported the student body and the connection to our team...worked hard on the recruiting trail and upgraded our talent level.

Does Charlie walk on water? Nope. Have Charlie's efforts produced more wins? Nope. Do I disagree with some of his decisions? Yep...particularly his offensive scheme.

But I'll tell you this for nothing...your call to fire him is witless drivel. If there is a "personality disorder" lurking in this issue...you're the one who should look in the mirror.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 1 month ago

You have now officially jumped the shark and landed smack into troll-dom.

hotrodm 1 year, 1 month ago

Super Bowl Charlie was using his "pile of crap" statement to let recruits know that if they came to KU they would have a good chance to play. Why sit on the Nebraska bench and be a practice dummy, when you could come to Kansas and play?

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

The comment was strange and stupid and insulting to the players and university. There are ways to express the same thing without making the University of Kansas football team a national joke.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 1 month ago

The comment made perfect sense to me, and even more importantly -- as reported in the media -- it made perfect sense to the players, current and prospective. It was honest, directed at the overall record and product and not at the individual young men who tried so hard on the field. As Howard Cosell used to say, "telling it like it is". The truth is what the players want to hear if they are worth their salt. They don't want to be mollycoddled, they want to get better. Those that can't hack it don't stay long. The truth can be harsh in the light of day, and Weis has yet to try to stow it out of sight, so get used to it. I have a feeling you will be hearing it for quite a few years.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

It was one comment, made quite awhile ago. Get over it.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

So the pile of crap comment is what turned KU football. I was worried it might have been the Perkins-Mangino fiasco or the Turner Gill experiment. I was really worried about that, but thank you for letting everyone know KU football officially became a national joke courtesy of the pile of crap comments.

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

This is one of the most important games for KU in the last several years. Here we have a ranked Texas Tech with a first year head coach and probably a freshman quarterback on the road. Stadium renovation is on the horizon and boosters are watching the product on the field closer than ever.

I believe that the outcome of this game will have an enormous impact on the rest of our season and the general direction of KU football.

1. We get blown out. KU wins 1 more game this year and we're calling for Charlie's head. Booster support is marginal making fund raising for the renovation a nightmare.

2. Competitive loss. The team stays focused and driven to win at least 2 conference games. The fan base acknowledges overall improvement.

3. We win. KU goes on to win 3 more and become bowl eligible. Boosters are motivated and renovation is expedited.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 1 month ago

Were is option #4. We get blown out. The students decide to sleep in for the remain 11 am home games (time reserved for the nation's who could care less games). KU goes on to loss their remaining games and we're calling for Charlie's head. Booster support for football is gone and the track at Memorial stadium remains forever.

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

Err.. that sounds like scenario 1 listed above.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Totally different, your #1 has KU winning a game and his suggested #4 is KU going winless the rest of the way. Super huge mega difference between two.

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

Oops...Kellerman is now backtracking right after he just said we were going to beat Texas Tech. I am all in with beating Texas Tech. Let's keep the winning streak going. But it will be the players winning in spite of Weis' questionable play calling. The thing about Weis apologists that I just can't take is the waffling, sniffling, can't make up their mind, etc.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

I read a lot of comments and I don't think that I've actually read anything from a Weis apologist. I think that most right-minded people understand that the program was in the dump, Nick Saban wasn't coming to fix it and, barring that, it was going to take 3-5 years to undo what has been done.

Calling for a firing of a coach when he is 2-1 is a little bizarre, don't you think? Calling for another firing after we just fired someone else doesn't make much sense, does it?

I root for Charlie because he is our coach and we are just getting started with this reclamation project. If we don't get better this year, and then better next year, I'll join you in asking for a change. Until then, you really need to calm down.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

15 games into a tenure is "just getting started"? There are numerous examples accross the country of coaches who have made drastic improvements in much less time.

Look across the field on Saturday for one example.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

I was kind of leaning toward Kingsbury in the drastic improvement category too, until I looked some stuff up. Texas Tech was 8-5 last year. They won a bowl game.

Tech outscored their first four opponents 175-43 in 2012, including a win @ Iowa St. This year Tech has outscored their first four 155-53.

Might want to dial in the drastic improvements for Kingsbury until he hits the Big 12 gauntlet.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

I challenge you to give me an example of a coach who inherited a 2-10 program and turned it around in one season and two games - to use your timeline. You can't identify one, let alone a bunch.

Mangino and Snyder, with easier schedules, won 5 games in their second seasons. Mangino fell back to 4 wins in his third. Snyder, wisely, softened his schedule, started going bowling and started building from there.

rob4lb 1 year, 1 month ago

Hard to believe that Vegas has us16-17 point underdog. If this is a reflection of where the team is, we have a long way to go. My impression of Charlie Weis is that he is more a saleman than an effective coach.

Tomorrow's game should be interesting. I thick a lot of people had this penciled in as a high probability for a win with god reason. Last year, at Tech, the game went to overtime. This year, the game is at home. The team should be better and Tech had a coaching change which can be disruptive. If this is not a competitive game, then it would be difficult to say that progress is being made.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

Texas Tech is ranked number 20 in the country and has already beaten TCU. You have been watching the college scoreboards, haven't you?

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

That doesn't mean they should be favored by 17 points on the road. I doubt that no other home team is even a 10 pt underdog at home against any other conference opponent.

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

We could make it a competitive game if the Hawks can run. The OL doesn't seem promising so far, but they may wake up and play one of these days. It would be great if they would start popping some leather tomorrow!

Jason Keller 1 year, 1 month ago

Now I know where you get your name. machinegun... spray as much lead as possible and pray that one hits the target.

You've never played this game. If you had, you wouldn't be talking about play calling. Talk about the ultimate ignorant fan conversation. Let me ask you something. If there is balance, and the defense does not know what play we are running, what difference does the play calling make?

You will probably talk about the two quarterback sneaks on the same drive against Rice. Well, who in the heck would ever think we would sneak it with Heaps? Furthermore, who in the heck would ever think we would do it, get shutdown, and go right back to it? No one. We were getting outplayed and Charlie had to make a move. You think he wanted to do that, dummy? It didn't work and then the Monday morning offensive coordinators come crawling out of the wood work. Gives me a good chuckle.

Fact is, there is no execution. Offensive lineman get blown off the line whether we're running or passing.

I'll listen to talks about recruiting strategy and maybe even personnel decisions but play calling is not what is wrong with KU football. End of story.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

Charlie's play calling decided that Tony Pierson only touched the ball 5 times the entire Rice game. Fact.

Charlie's play calling decided that we would pass on 1st down 7 of our 9 first half possessions at Rice (nevermind the fact that we have solid RBs and bad WRs or the fact that 7 of 9 isn't even "balance"). Fact.

So while you may think it's "End of story"....it's only a story in your little fantasy land.

Micky Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

In a way, you're both right, but Rivethead wins this debate. The plays that Charlie has been calling are predictable. They're mostly the same plays repeated 5 or 6 times in a game, maybe with different personnel. Yes, Rice studied the tape and it is foolish to bring in some dumb play on first down, a backwards pass? That would have a chance at working if it was 3rd and long. On first down, get some yards. We didn't need a home run right there. KU was on a drive right after scoring a TD on the previous drive. If we went down and scored there, KU wins that game. Instead, Weis decided to be "cute". That was a terrible play call that killed that drive.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

I didn't bring up the backward pass call on purpose. I'm trying to purge those memories.

Honestly, I don't mind a little creativity. But as you allude to....there's a time and a place for it.

bigboypants 1 year, 1 month ago

At what point is the fickle KU fan base going to stick with a coach? Yep, we've had some bad ones and we needed to get rid of them. While Weis may not be making progress at the speed that we all would like, the fact is, he is making progress!

The absolute worst thing to do would be to run another coach out of town (again!). If you gave me a choice between the pace of Weis' progress and starting over with a new coach (again!), it s no brainer. Call me an apologist, but there are worse choices that sticking with the guy.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

Quite honestly, no one will be calling for Weis's head even if we don't win another game. I think it is possible that KU has made two bad hires in a row which means we will be subjected to at least a lost decade of football. With that said, there is no other choice but to give Weis at least four years to see if he can turn around the product. Weis does not have a track record to indicate that he can do this.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

Three years is enough. Not necessarily to win a lot of games, but to get the program refocused and near a winning record.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

I completely agree. There should be NO talk of firing anyone anytime soon. Zenger has placed his bet and now we have to live with it and see what happens.

Besides, we can't afford to fire anyone.

Mike Nicco 1 year, 1 month ago

Hoping your Coach learns and evolves from his past mistakes is not being fickle. Asking your Coach to "walk the walk" as much as he "talks the talk" is not being fickle.

Billy Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm afraid the play calling IS the problem here. Couple that with the fact that Charlie is trying to run his pro-style offense in COLLEGE. The guy is stuck in the NFL. He is stumped as to why his plays are not working. Dude this is KU, home of the 2 and 3 star recruits and the occasional 4 star. He has to realize he doesn't have the talent (offensive line mainly) to run his complicated offense. Dumb the play calling down to cater to what you do well. I would say that is running the ball but again, the O line is subpar. Defense is vastly improved and kept us in every game this year. The offense needs to step it up.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 1 month ago

Every time I think I don't like a play call I take a reality pill and realize he's the expert, not me. He knows what he's doing, not me. I'm simply a fan and have nowhere near the knowledge that Charlie Weis has. Nowhere near. And although most posters here have far more knowledge and understanding of the game than do I, not one of us here can hold a candle to Charlie Weis when it comes to football knowledge and savvy. Even his "unusual" calls have a purpose and have a lot of thought behind them. Who am I to judge?

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 1 month ago

His record after 3 to 5 years will be the judge!

Eric Dawson 1 year, 1 month ago

I agree -- but a lot of people here aren't that patient.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

It is really not about the fans. Unfortunately, most coaches in the Big 12 do "hold a candle to CW when it comes to football knowledge and savvy". It is hard to name a Big 12 school who would take CW over its current coach.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

It's also impossible to name a single coach in the Big 12 who would have come to Kansas. Just like getting 4-star recruits to come to KU is difficult, getting 4-star coaches to come isn't much easier.

Zenger took a risk. We'll know by mid-season next year if it will pay off. I believe that it will.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

I disagree. With the support and facilities we offer, plus the money we were willing to spend we could have easily plucked an assistant coach from a Big 12 school.

We plucked Mangino from OU after he was named National Assistant Coach of the Year.....no reason to think we couldn't have went that route again.

Robert Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

Agree- which is where I was hoping we would have gone. Not much we can do now except hope everything comes together. I started thinking about KU football history and the track record for hiring football coaches the last 45 yrs has not been good.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

Those are assistant coaches. Please don't change the argument to fit your opinion. Now, since you've changed the parameters, name the assistant coach in the Big 12 who would have taken the job and been a lock-down success.

Also, as has been pointed out many, many, many times: Mangino was/is overrated, couldn't win league games and rode Todd Reesing to the mountaintop.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

bmsmith is 'dead on' -- I was (and remain) a fan of his hiring because of his NFL pedigree/accomplishments/contacts/etc.; however, we have to be honest with ourselves, Charlie's 'Pro-Style' Offense does NOT work in today's college game UNLESS you have the talent to run it. Despite having two experienced former 5-Star HS QB's, we clearly do not have an OL and supporting cast of WR's, TE's, etc. to make it work like they can at the NFL level and quite frankly, most college programs don't either.

So, what do THEY do....they find what works for THEM (see TTech's spread passing game, which has thrived with less talent than UT, TAMU, etc., or Northwestern's fast-break offense -- which ironically is actually predicated on Run first/Pass second based on what the Defense gives them, or Baylor's unique offensive sets, etc.). What do WE do? We keep trying to pound a 'square peg into a round hole' and wonder why it doesn't seem to 'fit'?!

While I am not a Mangino apologist by any means, we don't have to look any farther than our 'glory days' when Todd Reesing (an undersized, relatively unheralded QB came in and took over an Offensive scheme that spread people out, leveraged our strengths and masked our weaknesses. It was fun to watch, tough to defend and very (very) successful, right? Why did we walk away from it? Turner Gill? Maybe so. However, I really thought Charlie was much more 'creative' offensively with his schemes, formations and play calling than what I am seeing from Kliff Kingsbury -- a former TTech QB who has NO NFL credentials. Or Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern, who was a former Linebacker at NU, but was smart enough to realize that for them to compete/win in the rugged Big 10, he had to figure out an Offensive scheme that would work for his program and he has stuck with it over the years. Finally, look at what Art Briles has done at Baylor in 'raising it from the ashes' as a former laughingstock program in Texas to one of the most prolific offenses (without RGIII) in all of college football. It CAN be done at Kansas because it WAS already done at Kansas (see Orange Bowl and Insight Bowl victories for proof). That was FUN, wasn't it?!

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

Good post! And a resounding YES.....it can be done here at Kansas.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

(Cont'd.)

Now, I am someone who 'drank the Kool-Aid' and predicted a 6-6 season -- Believe it, or not I stand by that prediction given the Big 12 is way down this year (I said that before Week 1 and it's even more true today); however, this is ONLY possible IF we shake things up offensively to get the ball into the hands of our great playmakers in 'space', so they can be ATHLETES and not put our faith/hope/trust into an OL that clearly is not ready to compete at a D-1 level (see S. Dak., Rice & LaTech game film for all the proof you need).

Our Defense and Special Teams have come a long way so far and I believe are now ready to help us win; however, we've got to get our Offense going to put points on the board and/or sustain long drives to keep the Defense off the field. Given he is both Head Coach AND Offensive Coordinator/Play Caller, this is Charlie's job to do and, oh by the way, he is paid handsomely for it. This is what is known as ACCOUNTABILITY (ask Lane Kiffin who couldn't even win with an NFL 'Pro-Style' Offensive with USC's highly ranked recruiting classes).

I am as patient and loyal as any of you Jayhawk Football Fans on this board; however, I want to see a PLAN that can work within the context of our program limitations -- we have a great school, great facilities (now), a great coaching staff and plenty of available playing time for attracting more/better quality recruits; however, we have to install the right scheme on Offense to give ourselves a fighting chance to win on Saturdays.

Then, success will breed success (like it has done at TTech, Northwestern and Baylor to name a few -- not to mention K-State right in our own backyard) and we'll be raising money for our much needed stadium renovations and winning recruiting battles for higher ranked HS (first) JUCO (second) athletes to sustain our success into (dare I say it) a 'respectable Football Program'.

It can all start TOMORROW with TTech . . . Go Hawks!!!

Waylon Cook 1 year, 1 month ago

Dear Charlie,

RUN THE FOOTBALL THATS OUR STRENGTH.

Thank you.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

No it's not. A good running game takes more than good backs, it also requires an OLine capable of opening holes for the backs to run through and KU hasn't had that except against a bad South Dakota team.

Rivethead 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, strength is a relative term. What's better: our RBs or or WRs?