Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kansas football aims to score more

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.

The popular proverb could be considered an appropriate rallying cry for Kansas University’s football team, which, according to junior running back Tony Pierson, is set to reveal its third new offense of the 2013 season.

Although Pierson did not get into the specifics of KU’s newest look — other than to say it was put in a week ago and was “just more fast-paced” — the junior who leads the Jayhawks in receptions (15) and receiving yards (209) said the reason for the shift was to give KU its best chance to light up the scoreboard.

That was this week’s message from KU coach Charlie Weis, who braces to lead his Jayhawks into Big 12 Conference play at 11 a.m. Saturday against 20th-ranked Texas Tech.

“We have to score way more points than what we have been scoring,” Weis said. “It’s really that simple.”

KU has averaged 19.3 points per game during the first three weeks of 2013 and has combined to score just 27 points in its two most recent games. The output ranks last in the Big 12 and makes KU one of just three Big 12 teams averaging fewer than 31 points per game. KU also ranked last in points-per-game last season (18.2), but, as he showed by all but abandoning the passing game then, Weis seems willing to change as much as necessary to give his team its best chance to win. Before they worry too much about overhauling the offense completely, Weis and the Jayhawks believe there are a few things they can clean up that will lead to more touchdowns.

“We’re very close,” junior quarterback Jake Heaps said. “And that’s what makes this thing so frustrating. It’s not our inability to do anything, it’s just a couple of execution errors that make or break a big play or allow us to score or not. We gotta be better. And if we can do that, we can go out and score a bunch of points and be the offense we know we’re capable of being.”

Asked specifically for areas in which better execution could lead to more points, Weis and several offensive players pointed to three things — better performance on third down, more big plays and better balance.

“That’s what you gotta have,” Heaps said. “You can’t just have regular plays be positive plays. You gotta turn those positive plays into big plays.”

With Saturday’s opponent averaging 39 points and 520 yards per game, the Jayhawks know that keeping up offensively will be just as critical as digging in on defense. They all believe the offense is up to the challenge.

“I really do,” junior tight end Trent Smiley said. “I think we’ve always just been one little thing away from really exploding, and why not have Saturday be the game we do that? We are capable of scoring as many points as we want to.”

Added Heaps: “This is an opportunity for our offense to prove what we’re capable of. We’re going against a good Texas Tech defense, but I think it’s really a good time for us to make a statement and (show) whether we can compete with the big teams in the country.”

Comments

Phil Leister 12 months ago

Lol at the title of this article. Unfortunately that's what it's come to for KU football.

Micky Baker 12 months ago

Well, maybe you'd be a little less immature if you had listened to the press conference that is posted with full audio before you made this comment. Then you'd understand where this came from. Matt Tait asked questions of Weis in the press conference, and he is reporting on it. Matt deserves better readers than you.

hawk316 12 months ago

C'mon guys, you have to admit the title of the article is a case of truly stating the obvious. I didn't take HawkOverseas' comment as overly sarcastic. I thought it was a funny title, too. And certainly a good plan going forward. Go Hawks!

Micky Baker 12 months ago

Did you listen to the press conference? Weis was asked how many points KU would need to score to win Saturday. Then a dialogue occurred.

Phil Leister 12 months ago

Some people, like you, get it. It was a comment pointing out the hilarity of the situation that our football team is in. How many teams have an article written where the premise is, "we need to score more". It's funny. Because it's so damn obvious. It'd be like writing, "KU trying to limit opponents' scoring". Uhh no way, really??

Matt deserves better readers? Ha, what a weird thing to even say. I don't even know how to address that.

Clarence Haynes 12 months ago

Claro!

John Mueller 12 months ago

Hmmmm

Note to self: Stay positive, stay positive ....

Ok, here goes: the fact that these guys seem to believe their own stuff is proof enough that we have the right coach.

Obviously, we have a massive talent gap vs. a quality BCS opponent. I have also been completely unimpressed with the play calling ( see backwards fumble in the Rice game that took us out of field goal range as as well as bubble screen to Pierson just prior to inexplicable 52 yd winning field goal)

I think you had to run a go route there with Pierson, throw the ball into the end zone and see if he can run past coverage, but these guys have no choice but to keep working and it seems like they really are, so I'll tip my hat to perseverance and effort.

But, if we're down thirty at half, you can sit in my seats, cuz ill be in the parking lot self medicating from the hurt that comes from being a perpetual KU football optimist that is almost mentally unable to believe in hope.

Oops, that wasn't very positive...

Love the line by the kid Smiley We're capable of scoring as many points as we want to"

Really?....

Son, there ain't no draft!

Jonathan Allison 12 months ago

which game are you talking about throwing a hail mary pass to TP?

Surely not the LaTech game... that pass would probably have been picked off and we'd probably end up losing.

And in the Rice game we weren't yet in desparation. We will had a legitimate shot take control of the game if we could only move the ball. The backward pass was a bad call and had big consequences, but we really just needed to move the chains.

John Mueller 12 months ago

Yes, La Tech. If u throw a pic in the end zone, game goes into OT (not likely they return 100 yards).

And, probability of Pierson beating a corner higher than converting 52 yard field goal...

Although, it was 3rd down so u still had the FG option on 4th.

JayDocMD 12 months ago

Tomorrow's article: KU Football Aims to Make Opponent Score Less

Micky Baker 12 months ago

I'm no longer amazed of how low the IQ is of some of the Nancies here are.

Jeff Suther 12 months ago

Our offense is pathetic. I personally think a lot of it has to do with the scheme and play calling. Our team is improving but I can't say I'm not disappointed in the lack of progress Of our offense when that is supposed to be chucks strength. Charlie it is time to spread the field out and let jake throw. We don't have the well rounded team to run this pro style offense and it's about time you got that through your think skull. If you struggle with coming up with plays for it ask the guys in the box(where you should be) to draw up the plays Texas tech runs, then do the same exact thing. It's not hard

ccarp 12 months ago

Points will come with sustained drives. Keep moving the chains. If we start shooting for the moon, there's a chance we could score less.

troutsee 12 months ago

We all can see it. The weak spot of this team is the O line. Until it gels, we will be inept on offense. I think Heaps is an accurate passer. That is a big improvement. We have the backs. And even our receivers have the ability to rise up. Thus, the pressure on the O line. I still prefer someone in the press box calling the plays.

NebraskaJayhawk 12 months ago

Agree 100%. I too think Heaps is a big improvement. I will even go as far to say that he may have one of the best all around arms in the nation as far as accuracy / power combination. Up to the O-Line to develop. C'mon Grunny...

namohcan_99 12 months ago

If only we had someone specifically there who just did the coordination for the offense. An offensive coordinator, if you will. Why the HELL didn't we get one this offseason? Are we just waiting on someone specific or are we just dumb? Can anybody name a modern day Division I team in the NCAA that has any major success with a head coach who doubles for an Offensive Coordinator? I cannot.

NebraskaJayhawk 12 months ago

It's not going to happen. That was the deal when we hired Weis. Let it ride this season.

Ron Prichard 12 months ago

Did Kelley have an OC when he was at Oregon? Legit question, because I really don't know. Either way, I'm guessing he called the plays. If he didn't, that would be one, but I can't think of any others.

namohcan_99 12 months ago

Trent Smiley gets a starting gig and a couple of receptions and now he's a scoring machine. Go get us all those TDs you promised us. "Well, we're waiting!"-- Judge Smails

Doug Cramer 12 months ago

The Kool-Aid articles are becoming less and less...as everyone is coming down to realistic sentiment regarding the talent level of this team.

I'm not in the "Fire Weis" camp. But he made a big mistake by not recruiting a crap load of young...talented...big nasties in the trenches last year.

If he doesn't start getting some big time recruits in the trenches in this next class...then Weis's 5 year performance will be awfully similar to Coach Allen back in the late 90s.

It's really that simple...stop jacking around with the Marquel Combs of the world...and get some guys in the trenches that have integrity...loyalty...talent...and are ready to work hard.

Speaking of Combs...interesting tweet he sent out yesterday..."Sometimes taking a few steps back can make you realize how good you had things #ohwell"

Wonder if he's missing Rock Chalk Jayhawk Land already ?

Brett McCabe 12 months ago

Yeah one thing Charlie has never learned in all his years of football is that big, fast and talented offensive lineman aren't really necessary.

You act as if the guy didn't recruit anyone and you also act like every "talented" offensive lineman in America grew up wanting to play for KU.

This just in: great players don't sign with 2-10 teams very often. It's gonna take multiple recruiting cycles to get the guys we need.

Doug Cramer 12 months ago

Kingfisher - recruiting JUCO players in the trenches that aren't panning out isn't recruiting for the future of the program...and that's what happened.

Doug Roberts 12 months ago

Hire a GD offensive coordinator, Charlie!

97jhawk 12 months ago

This message has been brought to you by Captain Obvious and the sponsors of Didn't Think of That to Win a Game products.

HighQ 12 months ago

Tech runs 90 plays

And we want to speed it up?

To get scored on more?

Micky Baker 12 months ago

The fans that are posting these things like Tomorrow's article: KU Football Aims to Make Opponent Score Less".

There is not a requirement to come here. If you don't read the article, you're not making yourself look smart. Just a hint, it makes you look ignorant.

Also, listen to the press conference. Then you would have known what this article was about before you even read it, and you would know the context of it. I did listen to the press conference, and I knew what this article was about before I read it because I did listen to the press conference.

It's a shame that many of you are either students or graduates who don't even have the ethics to know what is you're reading about.

gorilla10 12 months ago

agreed. Most people on here dont read the actual article. They scroll right down to the comments to joke and complain....

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

Or.........some people just don't want to lament about how terrible life is and would just prefer to laugh a little.

JayDocMD 12 months ago

Take it down a notch. It was an amusing headline which shared the earth-shattering insight of "Football team aims to score more points."

I read the article. Nothing earth-shattering but it was fine. If you didn't like my attempt at a joke then scroll down. No need to go all grade school and attack fellow posters' intelligence and question our ethics.

Take Nuleaf's advice and laugh a little. Or at the very least, unclench. More cowbell. Rock Chalk.

Micky Baker 12 months ago

Or, take mine and grow up a little.

JayDocMD 12 months ago

... says the man insulting other posters. Pretty sure your version of grown up and mine are different. I like mine better.

Ron Prichard 12 months ago

This is the feeling I have had several times while watching KU so far this year. I know the O-line has been sub-par, but it goes beyond that. There is something I can't quite put my finger on. It seems like KU has the ability to put together better drives and score more but for some reason it isn't happening. It almost feels like when your car breaks down and you have to start pushing it (I have driven some crappy cars in my life). It seems like it should be easier to get moving, but you strain and strain without getting it to move hardly at all. But...once you get it moving, it becomes easier and easier until you can keep it going while barely pushing at all.

Call me crazy, but I feel like KU's offense is like that car. If it could just get moving a little, I think it would start to move easier and easier and eventually get on a roll. I keep thinking, "one of these days..."

kay_you 12 months ago

Score more points than you allow.

JayDocMD 12 months ago

Careful. That's apparently not funny. jayhawkintx1973 and gorilla10 will have to enlighten you to the nuances of what an intelligent and ethical post consists of. More cowbell. Rock Chalk.

Micky Baker 12 months ago

What kay_you said is exactly what Charlie Weis said in the Press Conference. So, instead of calling me out by name, go listen to the press conference. You don't have to pay a fee to go listen to it.

JayDocMD 12 months ago

Really? Are you being serious? You can't be serious right now. Are you really trying to say that the concept of scoring more points than you allow is some revelation? Because that's what this post is saying - verbatim. And you're questioning my intelligence?