Originally published October 3, 2013 at 01:48p.m., updated October 4, 2013 at 12:35a.m.

Andrew Wiggins named to preseason all-Big 12 first team

KU's Tarik Black voted as conference's newcomer of year

Media members crowd around the highly-touted Kansas freshman, Andrew Wiggins during Media Day on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. Nick Krug/Journal-World Photo

Kansas University freshman Andrew Wiggins was named Big 12 preseason freshman of the year and senior Tarik Black newcomer of the year on Thursday in a vote of conference coaches.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-8 guard from Thornhill, Ontario, also was named to the all-league team with preseason player of the year Marcus Smart and Markel Brown, both of Oklahoma State, plus Baylor’s Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson and Iowa State’s Melvin Ejim.

KU’s Perry Ellis and Joel Embiid earned honorable mention all-league with Michael Cobbins and LeBryan Nash (OSU), Shane Southwell (Kansas State) and Eron Harris (West Virginia).

“I’m honored that the Big 12 coaches recognize my potential,” Wiggins said Thursday after becoming the first freshman in Big 12 history to be named preseason all-league. “I’m glad to see Tarik, Perry and Joel also in there. There are a lot of great freshmen in the league and especially here at Kansas. Any one of my fellow freshmen teammates could have also been on this list.”

Black, 6-9, is immediately eligible after transferring from Memphis, where he earned an undergraduate degree.

“It’s an honor,” Black said. “I feel it’s a blessing to even be considered somebody that’s even worth mentioning. I take it all in stride. At the same time if it wasn’t for a team like this put together I wouldn’t be up for something like this. The team around me is what makes me seem like a good player. Really, truly, it’s all of us coming together forever,” Black added.

Conference coaches were not allowed to vote for players on their own team. There was a tie in the voting for the all-league team, accounting for six players.

“That is a pretty solid first team, and it’s great to see a freshman get named to the first team in Andrew,” KU coach Bill Self said. “It’s also good to see Tarik, Perry and Joel recognized but, like all preseason stuff, we won’t take anything from this because it’s based on potential. Now you have to go prove it.”

Preseason Player of the Year

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State

Preseason Newcomer of the Year

Tarik Black, Kansas

Preseason Freshman of the Year

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas

2013-14 Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Isaiah Austin, Baylor, C

Cory Jefferson, Baylor, F

Melvin Ejim, Iowa State, F

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas, G

Markel Brown, Oklahoma State, G

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, G

Honorable Mention (listed alphabetically by school):

Perry Ellis and Joel Embiid, Kansas; Shane Southwell, K-State; Michael Cobbins and Le’Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State, Eron Harris, West Virginia.

* — A tie in the voting created a six-member preseason team.

Comments

dnvrhawk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wiggins seems like a very media-saavy and humble young man.

Ron Prichard 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow...not a single player from Texas or OU on any of the lists. How the mighty (aside from KU) have fallen. I wonder if that has ever happened before?

Boouk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wrong sport. This isn't the all-Big 12 list in football.

RJ King 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Agree. Unlike Boo UK, I remember recent all conference lists populated with the likes of Blake Griffin, Willie Warren, Romero Osby, and Steven Pledger. Not to mention Texas with J'Covan Brown, Myck Kabongo, Cory Joseph, Damion James, Avery Bradley, A.J. Abrams, Sheldon McClellan, and possibly Tristan Thompson (?). Seems like day before yesterday.

Ron Prichard 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Don't forget Durant. UT and OU have had some great players in recent years. The KU-UT games with Chalmers, Rush, Durant, etc were some of the best games I have ever seen.

RJ King 9 months, 4 weeks ago

How could I have left off Durant. Absolutely! But I was thinking more recently. In other words - how FAST this (Barnes Blowout) has happened.

Robin Smith 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree that we've seen those teams do well in the past, but I don't think anyone should be surprised that they have nobody on the preseason lists this year.

I like the young guys at OU and a couple at UT, but it would have been shocking if they'd been on these lists.

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 4 weeks ago

No love for Wayne?

I would like to think we have a shot at an all KU post season Big 12 team

Steve Gantz 9 months, 4 weeks ago

It remains to be seen of course, but I think KU fans have loftier than realistic goals for Wayne. I hope they're all right of course, but freshman don't often get preseason accolades, although interestingly Joel gets mentioned.

Jim Erickson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

II agree with wis... Wiggens seems to be one of the exceptions, but the rule is not to over hype freshman. Selby, Henry, Ellis... Most highly touted freshman are either solid (Henry and Ellis) or disappoint (Selby). I'm excited for Wiggens this year but will be patient with Embiid and Selden. Certainly would love to see them all dominate though!

Andrew Moore 9 months, 4 weeks ago

How do Baylor and OSU both have two players on the first team???? They will be good teams, but I have to ask the question: Where will those two teams be ranked relative to Kansas in the preseason...

How many people really believe those teams will finish ahead of Kansas in the Big 12? Not me.

How many people really believe that Marcus Smart will be player of the year? Not me.

How many Jayhawks will finish first team this season? More than one? I think so.

Hawk8086 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I agree that we could very well have more than 1 on the first team. One thing that might hurt that chance is the balance that we should have which spreads out the scoring.

jay_cheese 9 months, 4 weeks ago

These are individual accolades. The coaches and media will also pick the best "team" and I doubt it isn't us. Rockchalk

Hawk8086 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm surprised that Embiid is Honorable Mention given the comments that Self has made about him being raw and the resulting chances of him putting up numbers good enough to be All Big 12. Again, the potential is there and maybe the belief is that he will likely turn into a defensive force that will merit such an award. I am also surprised that Wayne wasn't Honorable Mention.

Steve Reigle 9 months, 4 weeks ago

It is refreshing to see such humility and diplomacy from a young man with so much potential. His parents did a terrific job raising him. I'm betting some of our other players will end up very highly rated in the season ending recognition. There are some terrific players, terrific young men on this team.

Brent Cagle 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Kevin Durant wasn't preseason first team all-Big 12 as a freshman? How is that possible?

RJ King 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Durant definitely got preseason hype, but I wasn't really going back that far, since he left Texas in 2007. The original point was how unbelievably fast UT and OU have both fallen, so I was trying to think back only about 3 or 4 years.

But it is fun to think back to when an upcoming game with Texas was a HUGE deal.

Waylon Cook 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Do you know how good Wiggins is?

Waylon Cook 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Wiggins is what Henry and Selby were supposed to be. And they at times looked like NBA All Stars but truly were HIGHLY overrated out of high school. Wiggins seems a bit different! He also doesn't seem entitled and with Self that's a good thing!

KGphoto 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow. Every coach in American disagrees.

Boouk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

The best player to come out of the high school ranks since Derrick Rose won't be the 3rd best scorer on our team unless he gets injured.

mikehawk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Nothing but paper. Means nothing except pressure on some players and a chip on the shoulder of others. Let's play.

Warhawk1941 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Still sleeping on Selden. STUD.

DanR 9 months, 4 weeks ago

No kidding. They'll know about him by the time conference rolls around.

Waylon Cook 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Selden and Frankamp will make the Big 12 cry and they aren't even on there:)

BucknellJayhawk3 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm fairly surprised we don't have 2 on the list given how deep and talented we are. I don't know as much about the other players in the league but this just goes to show we are really a team that's based off of potential right now. Anybody care to guess what the postseason big 12 team will look like? I think we'd have 2 on it, but who will be the second?

jhawkrulz 9 months, 4 weeks ago

"KU forward Tarik Black was chosen as the conference's preseason newcomer of the year, while forward Perry Ellis and center Joel Embiid earned honorable-mention status."

This sentence makes it sound like Perry Ellis and Joel Embiid were honorable mention for newcomer of the year, later it splits it to Conference team honorable mention.

I'm not the best at grammar, but even this one threw me for a loop.

Boouk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson ahead of Perry for the all-Big 12 first team?

dtdjayhawk 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Seriously

Perry is flyyyying under the radar and I love it.

Robin Smith 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I love Perry and would not trade him for anyone, but there's no harm, no foul in giving these accolades to Austin and Jefferson.

Those guys are seriously good.

DanR 9 months, 4 weeks ago

And the Academy Award goes to... (tears open envelope)... wow, we have a tie: Georges Niang and Marcus Smart!

akgjenkintown 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Based on the comments from his own teammates, Selden might be the biggest surprise to all. Lets hope that all of the KU players lives up to their hype and more importantly their potential and that the individuals left off prove the "media geniuses" wrong.

Andrew Moore 9 months, 4 weeks ago

My big 12 1st team:

Smart Niang Wiggins Ellis Austin

Second team

Brown Selden M Brown Jefferson Black

jaybate 9 months, 4 weeks ago

It is important for people to remember about Derrick Rose. As a freshman, he was good enough to help his team get to the final game of the season, but he was badly outplayed by Sharon Collins among others. And his teammate, senior CDR, carried the team much of the season. If Andrew Wiggins were the best college freshman, since Crooke Derrick Rose, we can expect some big highs and lows. And we can expect him to underachieve and some big games. Since Coach Self, and slayer, have encouraged us to embrace the hype, let's hope that Andrew Wiggins, as a freshman, is a better player than was Derrick Rose. If he were, it would be ring city.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Perry will be our most consistent player. If Wiggins and Selden can avoid having off nights on the same night, we'll be strong.

Martin Rosenblum 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Look at you with that fancy new avatar!

Steve Jacob 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I am trying to dial down expectations, but it's hard. The only things I can think of is four guys on the list, but only one guy can score at a time, and KU is due for a injury plagued season one of these years.

saad007 9 months, 4 weeks ago