Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Selden: Late Night visit made impression

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Late Night in the Phog has closed the deal, so to speak, for many Kansas University basketball recruits throughout the years.

“I made my official visit to KU for Late Night. That was a good experience. It was intense. It was a different level,” said KU freshman Wayne Selden, a 6-foot-5 freshman guard from Roxbury, Mass., who actually orally committed to KU last Oct. 13 — the day after being blown away by Late Night 2012.

“I’m excited. I can’t wait to be a part of it this year,” Selden added.

Selden — he chose KU over Ohio State, Florida, UCLA, Syracuse and Missouri — this Friday will be helping host a batch of KU prospects who will be making official and unofficial recruiting visits.

As reported Monday, three of Rivals.com’s top-ranked high school seniors — No. 4 Cliff Alexander, 6-8 power forward from Chicago Curie High; No. 12 Kelly Oubre, 6-7 shooting guard from Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev.; and No. 17 Malik Pope, 6-8 small forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif. — will be in the stands for the 6:30 p.m. Late Night.

A batch of juniors likely to attend Late Night as identified by Rivals.com: No. 11-rated (in Class of 2015) Charles Matthews, 6-4, combo guard, Chicago St. Rita; No. 14 King McClure, 6-3 combo guard, Dallas Triple A Academy; No. 39 William Jackson, 6-4 point guard, Athens (Ga) Christian School and No. 68 Jarvis Johnson, 6-1 point guard, Minneapolis (Minn.) De La Salle. No. 9 Elijah Thomas, 6-9 forward, Lancaster (Texas) High, hopes he’ll be able to attend.

Conference chatter: CBSsports.com’s college basketball analysts predicted champions in the country’s conferences on Monday. Gary Parrish, Jeff Borzello, Matt Norlander, Jerry Palm and Jon Rothstein picked KU to win the Big 12 for a 10th-straight season; Doug Gottlieb went with his alma mater, Oklahoma State.

Rayford to be honored: Former KU point guard Calvin Rayford will be inducted into the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame on Saturday at Chula Vista Resort in Wisconsin Dells.

“I’m very humbled, very excited about getting this honor,” Rayford, a former McDonald’s All-American out of Milwaukee’s Washington High, told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

“To me this is another chapter in my life. It lets the kids know that you never know what will happen 20 years later if you handle your business off the court,” added Rayford, a teacher at LaFollette Elementary School in Milwaukee.

“I’m teaching seventh and eighth grade, all subjects and I’m loving it,” the 1996 KU graduate in criminal justice told the Journal-Sentinel. “I taught the sixth-graders here last year, so most of the kids I’m familiar with. I love coming in the inner city and MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools). A lot of people say MPS is not good, they don’t have a good education, but I’m a product of MPS. To see me coming from the projects and graduating from MPS and college, and to still be getting recognized 20 years later, it’s a good feeling.”

To read the J-S on Rayford, click here.

Slam dunk: Former KU guard Ben McLemore and Sacramento Kings teammate Patrick Patterson played a joke on teammate Travis Outlaw Monday at Kings’ Media Day. As Patterson stood behind Outlaw wearing a hoop apparatus, McLemore sprinted onto the scene and dunked over Outlaw, “posterizing” Outlaw on the mini-hoop. To see the video, click here.

Another Jayhawk in the NBA, Phoenix forward Markieff Morris, wore a Halloween costume to Suns’ Media Day. To see him with a cape and fangs, click here.

Comments

VancouverHawk 12 months ago

Good to see the hawks in the NBA having fun, though it looked like McLemore may have hurt himself on that dunk. I assume it wasn't serious.

Ted Hume 12 months ago

yea, just a torn ACL; but it was mildly amusing and sort of not quite affective as a gag. Totally worth it, though.

Ted Hume 12 months ago

spell check, click, effective. there we go...:)

Mike Bratisax 12 months ago

Ted.. I was just looking for an injury report and wasn't able to find one. Do you have the link that mentions his ACL?

Keith Kienzle 12 months ago

That was Outlaw on the ground (see the 25)

coloradojayhawk 12 months ago

Interesting article on Paul Pierce and how he's dealing with no longer being a Celtic - http://nesn.com/2013/07/paul-pierces-regret-shows-through-as-he-heads-into-life-after-celtics/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com.

One of the best Jayhawks, and one I'm happy to keep cheering for, now in Brooklyn with Tyshawn.

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

Even though typically I dislike teams from Boston, seeing Paul there made me soften my stance. I like the idea of one of our guys going to Boston, playing a Hall of Fame career, and retiring there as a legend at one of the storied franchises in all of sports. But these things happen so the best to him as he finishes up.

RJ King 12 months ago

Speaking of team chemistry the other day, just curious if anyone knows the roommate pairings.

I believe Selden rooms with Embiid (Fr/Fr), Brannen Greene and Frank Mason (Fr/Fr), Hunter Mickelson with Connor Frankamp (Soph/Fr), Perry Ellis with Evan Manning (Soph/Soph), Naadir Tharpe with Jamari Traylor (Jr/Jr) and Niko Roberts with Andrew Wiggins (Sr/Fr).

Does anyone know the remaining parings between Tarik Black, Justin Wesley, Andrew White, Landon Lucas, Tyler Self and Christian Garrett?

Bored. Waiting for Game One.

texashawk10 12 months ago

Tyler Self is with Andrew Wiggins, and Niko Roberts lives off campus. I don't know the other pairings.

jhawks2012 12 months ago

Wiggins actually lives with Tyler Self.

ParisHawk 12 months ago

Yes, an article mentioned that not too long ago. I believe it was because Niko has moved off campus.

Mike Bratisax 12 months ago

Best player with coaches son... That just might cramp Wiggins style.

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Sounds like it would fit Andrew's style just fine.

jaybate 12 months ago

Mr. Calvin Rayford gets my vote for President of Walking the Talk. Teaching 20 years in MPS and changing lives one child at a time. He is a flipping hero.

MarloStanfield 12 months ago

^This. I'll never forget that steal from Bailey.

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

He hasn't done it for 20 years, just saying. That would mean this is like 2016 or sometime.
I hope I'm a flipping hero too, I do the exact same, teaching and coaching in the inner city of Baton Rouge!

jaybate 12 months ago

wissox,

Part 1

We have several teachers in our extended family. We playfully call their unnecessary insistence on accuracy in ordinary socializing: "teachering." It refers to a person on the verge of burnout with teaching that has habituated correction in the classroom unnecessarily beyond the classroom to socializing not requiring such. :-)

Be that as it may, you ARE a flipping HERO in my eyes, just like Mr. Rayford!

Regarding the greatly varying magnitudes of architectural virtues and vices among Chicago stadia, a pattern that I think extends to the architecture and culture of Chicagoland itself, you might enjoy reading Saul Bellow's "It All Adds Up: From the Dim Past to the Uncertain Future," published 1994. I read it a few years ago (notice my retreat into less specificity to help you avoid more teaching? ;-) It was (and dare I say remains) a collection of essays, lectures, and articles that helped me appreciate not only Bellow, but also Chicago, with a bit more insight.

At a certain age, somewhere around 4040-45, I think it may be beneficial to go find and read some estimable essayist that grew up in one's own hometown a few generations before one, in order to savor one's home town anew. It shouldn't be someone you read when you were younger, either. Ideally, it should be someone you never realized was from your hometown. In my case, it was discovering Edward Dahlberg had grown up in my home town of Kansas City, long after I had moved away. I read Dahlberg's remarkable "Can These Bones Live?", which echoes in me to this day. Dahlberg grew up on the streets of Kansas City back in the first decade of the 20th Century, if I recall correctly. He knew the proto Kansas City that I did not know. He knew the premise that lead to what I grew up in. And reading his essay about returning for a visit to Kansas City late in his life was one of the most enlightening and liberating reads of my life. He also wrote a rather autobiographical novel titled "Bottom Dogs," early in his writing career which I read eagerly after reading the essay, and alas was quite disappointed with it. His essay written in old age was a gem of a high order. And his recollections brought old Kansas City alive far more than his novel did.

But I digress.

gchawk 12 months ago

Very interesting stuff. Being that both of my parents were teachers, I definitely echo your sentiments. You do make me smile!

jaybate 12 months ago

Part 2

Now that I think about it, given your apparent age, you will probably have read a lot of Bellow already, and so "It All Adds Up" might not do for you what reading Dahlberg's essay about returning to Kansas City did for me. I believe the element of surprise matters. Oh, well, no doubt Chi has produced some writers you will not have been exposed to when you were young, and so will offer you the element of surprise, even if Bellow can't.

Regarding Soldier Field in particular, I just drove by it recently and it is very sad what they did to it. I had a beautiful memory of it as it was from 20 years ago, or more. I now wish I had looked the other way, when I drove past it recently. I can only say that some architect did for Soldier Field what I. M. Pei did for the Louvre. He turned a building with dignity and presence into a caricature of architecture.

Rock Chalk!

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

As for burnout, after 20 years of teaching very challenging children, I guess I'm immune from that.

As for Saul Bellow, I haven't the time to read it after reading your posts! But I should, I should strive to attain the breadth of knowledge you've attained. I suppose if I compared some KU player to dendrochronology you'd write a scientifically reviewed treatise on the value of dendrochronology in the study of the arborial creatures of the Inter Montane region of the Andes.

You're fascinatingly brilliant Jaybate. Wish I could bump into you someday and share a few (non-alcoholic for me) drinks with you. Unless of course you're a woman, then I guess my wife would object to such a meeting, as would I!

jaybate 12 months ago

wissox,

Don't have much to add about dendrochronology, except that future anthropologists will be able to say definitively that I had crowns put in this year and didn't enjoy it a whit. :-)

Regarding the Montane region of the Andes, I haven't been.

Re: fascinatingly brilliant. No. Just generous. I share what most know and withhold.

But you're still my hero, whether you are burned out, or not. :-)

Dirtyphog 12 months ago

Shorts on backwards picked against ku?!? No!! I guess we shouldn't play this year.. Maybe next year is our year

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Doug should pick his alma mater the one year they have a chance, even if it is fairly small. Normally, he seems to be very reasonable in his analysis wrt KU in particular.

Brett McCabe 12 months ago

All season long on the radio in KC I listen to DG bag on the Hawks. There's always something wrong with us, we're not good at this, we're not good at that, we can be beat, blah, blah, blah.

Follow this with his self-promotion campaign to get hired at Cow College and you have all the evidence that you need: He hates that he's not the most famous OSU basketball alum, that Self chose KU and has declined a return to Stalewater, and he cannot stand the fact that Kansas is simply one of the top-five basketball programs of all time.

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

Come on, Gottlieb, you're smarter than that.

Joe Baker 12 months ago

When it comes to basketball? You'd think so, but he is backwards on some things.

Chris1955 12 months ago

I wouldnt bet the ranch on that. I've always thought of Doug as kind of "twerpish".

Michael Pannacciulli 12 months ago

If OKSU stays healthy they will pose a serious threat.

So ready for Late Night. Kind of surprised we don't have more seniors coming though.

I'm very curious to see Landen Lucas play. And can't wait to see all the frosh play.

hotrodm 12 months ago

Okie State will be very tough and they are experienced. Marcus Smart and Forte are excellent players and they are experienced. KU is so young this year, it will be interesting to see if these young players can handle the pressure of a title run.

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

I know what you're saying, but it just sounds funny to me to say that sophomores are experienced. See what the fricking OAD's have done to our society? lol

Joe Baker 12 months ago

I'll be mildly shocked to see Nash do much of anything. All the OSU folks are a bit disappointed in his play. He was a OAD (on paper) and that changed. Each year he shows up a bit worse than the next. Each year I expect him to have a break out year. Forte is good, but don't think he's a go to player. He'll give them some quality play, but not sure he factors in too much. Brown is a sleeper. He's the player that I'll be watching with some anticipation. I'm really surprised he didn't go to the league. I think he has a good year, but maybe a bit like last year though. I don't know he'll do much more at his ceiling. Cobbins has always been up and down. He's not too consistent. Smart is Smart...no brainer. Gaskins is suppose to be their big new comer. We'll see how he adjusts to D1 play. I'll love to see Lucas and Black welcome him to D1 bball.

wrwlumpy 12 months ago

At first I suspected "Pants on backward" of being a Homer. However, they also have 3 going to the NBA this year. The only difference, they have experience and we don't. We already have the toughest non-conference schedule. Remember the incredible season our no-name senior's had last year? Yes we've got the most talent, but we are the greenest team that Coach has ever had. Can they play defense the way it has to be played? Can they follow a scouting report? Will they learn to play without thinking? Can the Freshmen handle 75,000 people in a dome? Can they deal with getting spat on at Iowa State?

I expect Wiggins will respond the same way when he played against a team whose crowd shouted, OVER RATED" the same way he did on that night by scoring 57 points. Google the dramatic YouTube. It always makes me feel better about the above questions.

SaltLakeHawk 12 months ago

Fair point, Wishawk. But I'm pretty confident we'll at least make it to the 2nd round in the NIT.

wrwlumpy 12 months ago

Here is the video. The 2nd jump ability that amazed AW3 is also featured towards the end of the clip.

mikehawk 12 months ago

I'd stay away from the overrated chant, either for Andrew, or our team. Pay heed to all who chant...

Great story on Calvin Rayford making all alums proud. Serving his community and giving back with skills, training, and life experience, making things better for all of us.

KGphoto 12 months ago

Yikes!

I might have to sneak into a few student sections on the road and try to get that chant going.

notjustbread 12 months ago

begins chanting....UNDER-RATED

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

Late night 1985 with Larry "Bud" Melman was my first latenight. I didn't know much about KU hoops when I first arrived in Lawrence. My focus had always been on my hometown of Chicago and the teams there. After that Late Night I realized I had arrived at Lawrence at a special time. It's incredible that with the exception of the sanctions year, this team has been made the dance every year. FF's in 86, 88, 91, 93, 02, 03, 08, 12, 14 five title games, and of course three championships. (see what I did there?)

At the same time I learned that my sports hatred had to expand from the Packers and Cubs and include misery. Final fours for those teams since? ZERO!!! I learned soon enough misery has never been to it.

How blessed I've been to have chosen to attend KU!

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

Being a Bears fan is kind of like being a Sox fan. The Cubs have Wrigley field and all the mystique, the Sox have a bland boring ball park and a team that isn't the darlings of even Chicago. The Pack have the mystique, awesome stadium and kind of an America's team reputation. That being said, I hope we sweep you this year, you sit home and watch us in the playoffs and if we're lucky win the Super Bowl!

brooksmd 12 months ago

I think the Saints gonna turn their luck around in the Windy City this weekend. The D finally looked good against Miami Monday night and with Brees and his vast assortment of receivers it don't look good for da Bears.

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] By the time we play Oklahoma State, including exhibition games, we will have played eighteen games, including DUKE, VILLANOVA, @ COLORADO, @ FLORIDA, NEW MEXICO, GEORGETOWN, KANSAS STATE and @ IOWA STATE. Somehow, I get the feeling we will be ready to play the Okies in Allen.

2] Then we play another eleven games before we play the Okies in Stillwater. DITTO!!

3] Has anybody solved the "Mystery of the Disappearing Avatars"???????

4] Just a point of reference for everyone, Kansas stands at a total victory total of 2101. That is 10 wins behind UK and 11 wins ahead of NC. Last season we gained 10 wins on UK and increased our lead by 6 wins against NC. The numbers are trending the right way!!!!

5] Something tells me that KU's opponents will nickname Wayne for us..Wayne " The Pain" Selden.

6] Congrats to the KC Royals on a fine season and, hopefully, better ones to come. Another I-70 series would be great...we Cardinal fans want another crack at you guys!! :(

7] All you have to do on Late Night is tell the seniors sitting in the stands, " You see those guys out there...about half will be in the NBA within the next several years."

ParisHawk 12 months ago

I wonder if Coach Self has ever thought: "KU could become the winningest Bball team ever on my watch".

That would be a milestone worth waiting around for!

Oak, could you post the other point of reference: total wins for KU, UK and UNC before the start of Self's first season? It would be interesting to see how much we've gained on the other two since then. I know we were behind UNC.

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

Your wish is my command...at the start start the 2003 season Kansas was 48 wins behind UK and 7 wins behind NC. In other words, KU has gained 38 games on UK and 18 games to surpass NC during the Bill Self Decade. You can thank Billy Gillespie's two years and the Squid's season last year for a big chunk of the "catch-up" on UK!! The beating on NC is totally on Uncle Roy!!!

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

Oak - don't know what happened, but to "reclaim" your avatar:

1) Click on your avatar or go to your profile.

2) Click on " change your avatar ".

3) Click on " choose file ".

4) find the avatar picture of your choice and click on it.

5) upload it !!

brooksmd 12 months ago

Couldn't find my alligator pic so here's my best bud.

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

Turner Gill amd Lew Perkins!!

texashawk10 12 months ago

I thought the two suspects were democrats and republicans.

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Must have been misinformed. Those 2 can't get anything done these days.

Steve Gantz 12 months ago

We will be ready for OKState, but will we be ready for TCU?

The I-70 series was part of the fun that was my first year in Lawrence. Although not a fan of either team, I got caught up in the fun. Then the whole Bears/Fridge/Superbowl shuffle thing was going on (I'm a Bears fan), and then that magical 85-86 season for KU when we got screwed out of a chance to play Louisville in the NC Game.

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

The single sold more than a half-million copies and reached No. 41 on the US Billboard Hot 100,[2] making the Chicago Bears the only American professional team of any sport with a hit single. Over $300,000 in profits from the song and music video was donated to the Chicago Community Trust to help needy families in Chicago with clothing, shelter, and food.[1] This was consistent with Walter Payton's rap lyrics in the song "now we're not doing this because we're greedy, the Bears are doing it to feed the needy".

Walter may have been a hobby-drummer, but not on "the Shuffle". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supe...

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Chorus We are the Bears Shufflin' Crew Shufflin' on down, doin' it for you. We're so bad we know we're good. Blowin' your mind like we knew we would. You know we're just struttin' for fun Struttin' our stuff for everyone. We're not here to start not trouble. We're just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Walter Payton Well, they call me Sweetness, And I like to dance. Runnin' the ball is like makin' romance. We've had the goal since training camp To give Chicago a Super Bowl Champ. And we're not doin' this Because we're greedy. The Bears are doin' it to feed the needy. We didn't come here to look for trouble, We just came here to do The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Willie Gault This is Speedy Willie, and I'm world class. I like runnin' but i love to get the pass. I practice all day and dance all night, I got to get ready for the Sunday fight. Now I'm as smooth as a chocolate swirl, I dance a little funky, so watch me girl. There's not one here that does it like me, My Super Bowl Shuffle will set you free.

Mike Singletary I'm Samurai Mike I stop'em cold. Part of the defense, big and bold, I've been jammin' for quite a while, Doin' what's right and settin' the style, Give me a chance, I'll rock you good, Nobody messin' in my neighborhood. I didn't come here lookin' for trouble, I just came to do The Super Bowl Shuffle

(Repeat Chorus)

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Jim McMahon I'm the punky QB, known as McMahon. When I hit the turf, I've got no plan. I just throw my body all over the field. I can't dance, but I can throw the pill. I motivate the cats, I like to tease. I play so cool, I aim to please. That's why you all got here on the double To catch me doin' the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Otis Wilson I'm mama's boy Otis, one of a kind. The ladies all love me For my body and my mind. I'm slick on the floor as I can be But ain't no sucker gonna get past me. Some guys are jealous Of my style and class, That's why some end up on their -, I didn't come here lookin' for trouble, I just get down to The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Steve Fuller They say Jimbo is our man. If Jimmy can't do it, I sure can. This is Steve, and it's no wonder I run like lightnin', pass like thunder. So bring on Atlanta, bring on Dallas, This is for Mike and Papa Bear Halas. I'm not here to feather his ruffle, I just came here to do The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Mike Richardson I'm L.A. Mike, and I play it cool. They don't sneak by me 'cause I'm no fool. I fly on the field and get on down. Everybody knows I don't mess around. I can break'em, shake'em, Any time of day. I like to steal it and make 'em pay, So please don't cry to beat my hustle 'Cause I'm just here to do The Super Bowl Shuffle.

(Repeat Chorus)

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Richard Dent The sackman's comin', I'm your man Dent. if the quarterback's slow, He's gonna get bent. We stop the run, we stop the pass, I like to dump guys on their -. We love to play for the world's best fans, You better start makin' Your Super Bowl plans. But don't get ready or go to any trouble Unless you practice The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Gary Fencik It's Gary here, and I'm Mr.Clean. They call me "hit man," Don't know what they mean. They throw it long and watch me run, I'm on my man, one-on-one. Buddy's guys cover it down to the bone, That's why they call us the 46 zone. Come on everybody let's scream and yell, We're goin' to do the Shuffle, Then ring your bell.

William Perry You're lookin' at the Fridge, I'm the rookie. I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie. You've seen me hit, you've seen me run, When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun. I can dance, you will see The others, they all learn from me. I don't come here lookin' for trouble, I just came here to do The Super Bowl Shuffle.

(Repeat Chorus)

Read more: 1985 - Chicago Bears - Super Bowl Shuffle Lyrics | MetroLyrics

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

Wow - ralster, you've worked on your tan since I've seen you last ! Very nice!

nuleafjhawk 12 months ago

Yeah, the KU theme is a nice touch. Actually, I think when I first got on this site I had an avatar of Herman Munster or something. Shortly after, I read in one of your posts about liking to have a KU themed avatar and that's when I changed to the one I have now.

So thanks !

WarHawk78 12 months ago

Dang, I am drawing a blank on Calvin Rayford. I better go check the archives, then sit in time out.

brooksmd 12 months ago

Well this is just a tad off topic, but did anyone else see The Blue Grass Boys on Discovery last night? Are these boys typical Kentucky fans or do you think they even know what UK stands for?

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

Under-aged Kin, Undiscovered Knowledge, Unlimited Knuckleheads [my personal choice], Uniformed Kangaroos, Unwashed Klansmen, Ugly Kardashian [pick one].

RJ King 12 months ago

University of Kickbacks

wrwlumpy 12 months ago

When Wiggins picked KU I remember some of them good old Kentucky boys thought it should be UKKK with their twitter racism.

wrwlumpy 12 months ago

late night coaching appearances at by Bill Self and Bruce Weber.

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

I'm waiting for the analysis of "The Benchwarmers", Tyler, Christian, Evan, Niko and Hunter. A funny thing, though....if these five guys walked into any gym full of pick-up games in America, playing "winner stays on"........ they wouldn't miss a game all night...anywhere!!!!

Alex Peekeaton 12 months ago

Aaron Harrison, Fr, 6’6, 218lbs. Rankings - #1 SG & #9 Overall ESPN, #1 SG & #7 Overall Rivals

Before I get into more detail on Aaron Harrison, let me just say that Calipari came out in past few days to say Aaron Harrison has been the best player on the team so far which blew every UK fan away. Jon Hood (who has been with UK since Calipari arrived) was recently asked the question “If you could pick a starting five since you’ve been here, who would they be?” His answer was “Wall, Cousins, and Davis for sure and then Randle and Aaron Harrison. You won’t believe how good Aaron Harrison is.” He picked Aaron over Bledsoe, Knight, and Lamb.

Scouting Report – Aaron gets into the lane well and can score in a variety of ways. Terrific outside shooter and can light it up from downtown. Very good with the dribble and has a huge array of moves to beat the defender. Quick first step and really has a knack for scoring the ball. Well built player with long arms, good strength and excellent hops. Can play above the rim and finish with power. Capable of catching fire and unleashing a barrage of 3-pointers, Harrison has an excellent shooting stroke both with his feet set and off the dribble. Also capable of making plays off the dribble, Harrison uses crafty change of speeds, often overpowering opponents with sheer strength.

Aaron will be the backup point guard when the rotation is down to 7/8 players.

Backup = James Young, Fr, 6’7, 215lbs. Rankings - #8 Overall ESPN, #11 Overall Rivals James will play a role similar to Darius Miller did back in 2012 which is backing up the SG and SF. Also, James could very well be UK’s best defensive perimeter player.

Seth Greenberg – “Young is the X factor for the Wildcats this season. The 6-6 wing is athletic and long, but the skill set he brings to the Kentucky lineup is as a knock-down jump shooter with 3-point range. This will open the floor for the Harrison brothers and Randle to play in space. An explosive athlete, Young is an active offensive rebounder. Defensively he has the quickness and length to be a lockdown defender.”

Calipari will mainly use Harrison Twins and James Young at the two guard positions when the rotation is set. Jarrod Polson would be capable of running the point if need be. It will be interesting to see how teams will match up with the size and strength of the Twins and Young who all go 6’6 and 215lbs. Calipari has already indicated to have specific plays where the UK guards will post up their defenders who could be giving up as much as 6-8 inches (hear that Lousiville).

Tony Bandle 12 months ago

Sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a S##T !!

Alex Peekeaton 12 months ago

It does say alot about Aaron considering the source too - Jon Hood. You are exactly right on your descriptions of Bledsoe/Knight/Lamb and from the early reports from players/coaches, Aaron is bringing the total package (size/strength/passing/shooting/etc.) where as the others mentioned above might have brought a couple to the table. This is shaping up to be one of the best college basketball years as I see a handful of elite teams.

Alex Peekeaton 12 months ago

I agree the starting SG spot will be a draw at this point in time. I do disagree with you on James Young - he is just as good as either Selden & Harrison at this point in time. JY was higher ranked than Selden from every service and was ahead of Harrison on a couple of them. I don't necessarily put a lot of stock in all-star games, but when two players match up man to man like Selden and Young did quite a bit at the Jordan Brand Classic, you can at least gauge if the two are in the same league. Young most definitely got the better of Selden that day. If you get a chance to watch the replay, I recommend it. The point is Selden, Harrison, and Young are pretty even at this point. AW3 and Frankamp aren't in the same league as those three right now. While I like CF's college potential down the road, I don't think he will be physically ready to contribute much this year at the SG considering his height and also competing with Greene for minutes.

I agree with you the starting SG position is a draw at this point, but give UK the edge overall with Young over AW3/Frankamp.

Alex Peekeaton 12 months ago

"I think if I was Cal, I'd like to see that guy stay with the program more than one year. Imagine what he can offer UK next year? And if he stays in the shadows of Aaron all year, how will that position him in the draft?"

I'm expecting JY to get ~25 minutes a game between SG & SF positions (Darius Miller avg ~26), so he won't necessarily always be in Aaron's shadow. With Calipari stating this team will press this year, I see a lot of combinations involving JY on the court with both Twins. One more detail about JY, Calipari stated he was the best high school rebounding guard that he has ever seen.

Alex Peekeaton 12 months ago

The questions regarding CF is his ability to play SG at 6'0 when you have a PG (Tharpe/Mason) at 5'11 - would he be able to defend the opposing SG (Aaron Harrison/Marcus Smart/Suliamon/Harris) in March? I don't think it's ever going to be an offensive issue considering how well he shoots the ball. Burke and Farokmanesh were both point guards who had exceptional handles. Keiton Page has 6'5 Smart playing along side of him and he can guard the SG. If we were talking about CF playing point guard, it would be more about his ability to handle the ball and run the offense.

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

drgnslyr - You missed Greene. Both he and AWIII should be 2-3's - Yes?

Posted before reading all the way down to your later comment.

On some teams, the 1 & 2 seem interchangeable. On this team it seems that the 2 & 3 are more interchangeable. It seems that Coach Self would love all 3 to be virtually interchangeable, but this year it seems that we have the shorter trio, and the lankier group.

gchawk 12 months ago

6' 7" shooting guard?? Oubre sounds almost "magical" to me.

David Leathers 12 months ago

What's even more magical is that at KU he'll be a 6'9" shooting guard.

Brian Skelly 12 months ago

Calvin Rayford is a good guy. He and Sean Pearson roomed together a few rooms down from me in Oliver Hall during their Freshman year, my Sophomore.

Sean was the prankster, jokerster type and Calvin, while still fun was certainly more measured, even back then. He was keenly aware and he talked about it even then that he realized basketball was going to give him an education, and likely a future -- whatever it was.

Good to see good things are happening not just with him, but because of him. Good stuff.

Rock Chalk.

JayHawkFanToo 12 months ago

Does any one know if Late Night will be on TV in the Kansas City area? ESPN3 has it scheduled but "subject to blackout." Why in the world would they blackout an event where there is no admission fee? Mr. Zenger: If you peruse this Forum and read this post, talk to ESPN3 and LIFT THE BLACKOUT!!! What possible benefit can KU get from a blackout other than denying fans that cannot otherwise attend the event?

alittlecurious 12 months ago

Metro Sports (channel 37 in Lawrence on WOW cable) has it scheduled to start at 6:30 pm...

Ryan Houston 12 months ago

Usually when a game, or event is blacked out. It is because your local broadcast cable company has the rights to show it. So, more than likely it will be on some obscure local channel.

Ryan Houston 12 months ago

If you live in the ICT. Cox DC, will be broadcasting Late night on channel 122 or 2122 for HD

Dirk Medema 12 months ago

Tharpe vs short white kid?

Selden vs. Smart

Wiggins vs. Nash

Perry Ellis vs. Cobbins

T.Black vs. their new guy?

When Brown is in, look for KU to counter big with Greene/White in place of Perry. I like our chances a lot better than last year mostly because Selden matchs up so much better with Smart. And yes, BigBadBillSelf >> BIGTravisFord

(Disclaimer: I have not won any Big12 Championships, and nor slept in any hotel last night.)