Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Selden: Late Night visit made impression

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Late Night in the Phog has closed the deal, so to speak, for many Kansas University basketball recruits throughout the years.

“I made my official visit to KU for Late Night. That was a good experience. It was intense. It was a different level,” said KU freshman Wayne Selden, a 6-foot-5 freshman guard from Roxbury, Mass., who actually orally committed to KU last Oct. 13 — the day after being blown away by Late Night 2012.

“I’m excited. I can’t wait to be a part of it this year,” Selden added.

Selden — he chose KU over Ohio State, Florida, UCLA, Syracuse and Missouri — this Friday will be helping host a batch of KU prospects who will be making official and unofficial recruiting visits.

As reported Monday, three of Rivals.com’s top-ranked high school seniors — No. 4 Cliff Alexander, 6-8 power forward from Chicago Curie High; No. 12 Kelly Oubre, 6-7 shooting guard from Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev.; and No. 17 Malik Pope, 6-8 small forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif. — will be in the stands for the 6:30 p.m. Late Night.

A batch of juniors likely to attend Late Night as identified by Rivals.com: No. 11-rated (in Class of 2015) Charles Matthews, 6-4, combo guard, Chicago St. Rita; No. 14 King McClure, 6-3 combo guard, Dallas Triple A Academy; No. 39 William Jackson, 6-4 point guard, Athens (Ga) Christian School and No. 68 Jarvis Johnson, 6-1 point guard, Minneapolis (Minn.) De La Salle. No. 9 Elijah Thomas, 6-9 forward, Lancaster (Texas) High, hopes he’ll be able to attend.

Conference chatter: CBSsports.com’s college basketball analysts predicted champions in the country’s conferences on Monday. Gary Parrish, Jeff Borzello, Matt Norlander, Jerry Palm and Jon Rothstein picked KU to win the Big 12 for a 10th-straight season; Doug Gottlieb went with his alma mater, Oklahoma State.

Rayford to be honored: Former KU point guard Calvin Rayford will be inducted into the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame on Saturday at Chula Vista Resort in Wisconsin Dells.

“I’m very humbled, very excited about getting this honor,” Rayford, a former McDonald’s All-American out of Milwaukee’s Washington High, told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

“To me this is another chapter in my life. It lets the kids know that you never know what will happen 20 years later if you handle your business off the court,” added Rayford, a teacher at LaFollette Elementary School in Milwaukee.

“I’m teaching seventh and eighth grade, all subjects and I’m loving it,” the 1996 KU graduate in criminal justice told the Journal-Sentinel. “I taught the sixth-graders here last year, so most of the kids I’m familiar with. I love coming in the inner city and MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools). A lot of people say MPS is not good, they don’t have a good education, but I’m a product of MPS. To see me coming from the projects and graduating from MPS and college, and to still be getting recognized 20 years later, it’s a good feeling.”

To read the J-S on Rayford, click here.

Slam dunk: Former KU guard Ben McLemore and Sacramento Kings teammate Patrick Patterson played a joke on teammate Travis Outlaw Monday at Kings’ Media Day. As Patterson stood behind Outlaw wearing a hoop apparatus, McLemore sprinted onto the scene and dunked over Outlaw, “posterizing” Outlaw on the mini-hoop. To see the video, click here.

Another Jayhawk in the NBA, Phoenix forward Markieff Morris, wore a Halloween costume to Suns’ Media Day. To see him with a cape and fangs, click here.

Comments

Dirk Medema 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Tharpe vs short white kid?

Selden vs. Smart

Wiggins vs. Nash

Perry Ellis vs. Cobbins

T.Black vs. their new guy?

When Brown is in, look for KU to counter big with Greene/White in place of Perry. I like our chances a lot better than last year mostly because Selden matchs up so much better with Smart. And yes, BigBadBillSelf >> BIGTravisFord

(Disclaimer: I have not won any Big12 Championships, and nor slept in any hotel last night.)

William Blake 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Gottlieb went with the Syobwoc's from the University State Oklahoma to win the B12 this year?

Did we add another team to the B12 and no one told me?

Oh... wait.. I read the shorts backwards and inside out.

Ryan Houston 6 months, 2 weeks ago

If you live in the ICT. Cox DC, will be broadcasting Late night on channel 122 or 2122 for HD

JayHawkFanToo 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Does any one know if Late Night will be on TV in the Kansas City area? ESPN3 has it scheduled but "subject to blackout." Why in the world would they blackout an event where there is no admission fee? Mr. Zenger: If you peruse this Forum and read this post, talk to ESPN3 and LIFT THE BLACKOUT!!! What possible benefit can KU get from a blackout other than denying fans that cannot otherwise attend the event?

BPSkelly 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Calvin Rayford is a good guy. He and Sean Pearson roomed together a few rooms down from me in Oliver Hall during their Freshman year, my Sophomore.

Sean was the prankster, jokerster type and Calvin, while still fun was certainly more measured, even back then. He was keenly aware and he talked about it even then that he realized basketball was going to give him an education, and likely a future -- whatever it was.

Good to see good things are happening not just with him, but because of him. Good stuff.

Rock Chalk.

gchawk 6 months, 2 weeks ago

6' 7" shooting guard?? Oubre sounds almost "magical" to me.

William Blake 6 months, 2 weeks ago

BBall, this seems to be a good place for the next installment.

The 2-Guard -

I have Wayne Selden (6'5", 230 lb, FR) starting at the 2-guard position. From my notes I have his rankings out of HS as: Scout #12, Rivals #12 and ESPN #14.

Wayne's size is a definite factor when considering what he brings to D1. He is built like a linebacker and is an elite passer for his size. He has been described as having a NBA-ready body and many believe he will make an easy transition into D1 basketball. In interviews, Wayne appears confident in his shooting ability from the 3-pt line and closer, but he remains questionable until the season progresses. All indications point to him having good ball-handling skills, and with his linebacker physique he should be able to hold his own in rebounding. He seems to be a well-rounded player exhibiting no apparent weaknesses. Because of his ability to see the floor and pass well, matched with his prowess to penetrate and potential to shoot the ball with efficacy, my preseason prediction points to Wayne becoming a solid scoring threat while making the players around him much better by opening scoring opportunities for them, too.

Defensively, Wayne's size and strength should be an asset. What we haven't seen is his technique and skill level on defense; does his footwork keep his linebacker frame in front of his man? Early reports out of practice indicate that he does defend well and may be one of the top defenders on this young team.

Kansas has depth at the 2-guard position, albeit considered a young team. Conner Frankamp is an undersized 2-guard, but is hopeful to translate his HS sharpshooting ability to the D1 level. His talent seems to rely mostly on his shooting ability, so he may not become a factor until he can prove himself from the 3-pt line.

Andrew White III is a 6'6", 210 lb guard that showed flashes of potential last year, and appears to have lifted his game in the off-season through heavy conditioning training and a competitive desire to earn valuable playing time this year. His length and athleticism should help him earn quality floor minutes, especially in situations where those attributes match-up well with opposing guards. What is questionable leading into this season is his ability to drain the 3 in key situations.

Kansas has three unique options for the 2-guard position. Coach Bill Self will use his options based on individual game situations in attempt to maximize effectiveness at this position and to announce to the college basketball world that Kansas will have diversity in play this year and will be difficult to prepare for.

wrwlumpy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

late night coaching appearances at by Bill Self and Bruce Weber.

wrwlumpy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

When Wiggins picked KU I remember some of them good old Kentucky boys thought it should be UKKK with their twitter racism.

brooksmd 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well this is just a tad off topic, but did anyone else see The Blue Grass Boys on Discovery last night? Are these boys typical Kentucky fans or do you think they even know what UK stands for?

WarHawk78 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Dang, I am drawing a blank on Calvin Rayford. I better go check the archives, then sit in time out.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 2 weeks ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] By the time we play Oklahoma State, including exhibition games, we will have played eighteen games, including DUKE, VILLANOVA, @ COLORADO, @ FLORIDA, NEW MEXICO, GEORGETOWN, KANSAS STATE and @ IOWA STATE. Somehow, I get the feeling we will be ready to play the Okies in Allen.

2] Then we play another eleven games before we play the Okies in Stillwater. DITTO!!

3] Has anybody solved the "Mystery of the Disappearing Avatars"???????

4] Just a point of reference for everyone, Kansas stands at a total victory total of 2101. That is 10 wins behind UK and 11 wins ahead of NC. Last season we gained 10 wins on UK and increased our lead by 6 wins against NC. The numbers are trending the right way!!!!

5] Something tells me that KU's opponents will nickname Wayne for us..Wayne " The Pain" Selden.

6] Congrats to the KC Royals on a fine season and, hopefully, better ones to come. Another I-70 series would be great...we Cardinal fans want another crack at you guys!! :(

7] All you have to do on Late Night is tell the seniors sitting in the stands, " You see those guys out there...about half will be in the NBA within the next several years."

Steve Gantz 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Late night 1985 with Larry "Bud" Melman was my first latenight. I didn't know much about KU hoops when I first arrived in Lawrence. My focus had always been on my hometown of Chicago and the teams there. After that Late Night I realized I had arrived at Lawrence at a special time. It's incredible that with the exception of the sanctions year, this team has been made the dance every year. FF's in 86, 88, 91, 93, 02, 03, 08, 12, 14 five title games, and of course three championships. (see what I did there?)

At the same time I learned that my sports hatred had to expand from the Packers and Cubs and include misery. Final fours for those teams since? ZERO!!! I learned soon enough misery has never been to it.

How blessed I've been to have chosen to attend KU!

wrwlumpy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Here is the video. The 2nd jump ability that amazed AW3 is also featured towards the end of the clip.

wrwlumpy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

At first I suspected "Pants on backward" of being a Homer. However, they also have 3 going to the NBA this year. The only difference, they have experience and we don't. We already have the toughest non-conference schedule. Remember the incredible season our no-name senior's had last year? Yes we've got the most talent, but we are the greenest team that Coach has ever had. Can they play defense the way it has to be played? Can they follow a scouting report? Will they learn to play without thinking? Can the Freshmen handle 75,000 people in a dome? Can they deal with getting spat on at Iowa State?

I expect Wiggins will respond the same way when he played against a team whose crowd shouted, OVER RATED" the same way he did on that night by scoring 57 points. Google the dramatic YouTube. It always makes me feel better about the above questions.

hotrodm 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Okie State will be very tough and they are experienced. Marcus Smart and Forte are excellent players and they are experienced. KU is so young this year, it will be interesting to see if these young players can handle the pressure of a title run.

Michael Pannacciulli 6 months, 2 weeks ago

If OKSU stays healthy they will pose a serious threat.

So ready for Late Night. Kind of surprised we don't have more seniors coming though.

I'm very curious to see Landen Lucas play. And can't wait to see all the frosh play.

nuleafjhawk 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Come on, Gottlieb, you're smarter than that.

Dirtyphog 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Shorts on backwards picked against ku?!? No!! I guess we shouldn't play this year.. Maybe next year is our year

jaybate 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Calvin Rayford gets my vote for President of Walking the Talk. Teaching 20 years in MPS and changing lives one child at a time. He is a flipping hero.

jhawks2012 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Wiggins actually lives with Tyler Self.

RJ King 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Speaking of team chemistry the other day, just curious if anyone knows the roommate pairings.

I believe Selden rooms with Embiid (Fr/Fr), Brannen Greene and Frank Mason (Fr/Fr), Hunter Mickelson with Connor Frankamp (Soph/Fr), Perry Ellis with Evan Manning (Soph/Soph), Naadir Tharpe with Jamari Traylor (Jr/Jr) and Niko Roberts with Andrew Wiggins (Sr/Fr).

Does anyone know the remaining parings between Tarik Black, Justin Wesley, Andrew White, Landon Lucas, Tyler Self and Christian Garrett?

Bored. Waiting for Game One.

coloradojayhawk 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Interesting article on Paul Pierce and how he's dealing with no longer being a Celtic - http://nesn.com/2013/07/paul-pierces-regret-shows-through-as-he-heads-into-life-after-celtics/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com.

One of the best Jayhawks, and one I'm happy to keep cheering for, now in Brooklyn with Tyshawn.

VancouverHawk 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Good to see the hawks in the NBA having fun, though it looked like McLemore may have hurt himself on that dunk. I assume it wasn't serious.