Thursday, November 21, 2013

Self still not a fan of altered anthem

Kansas head coach Bill Self looks for an answer from his players after a stretch of sloppy play against Pittsburg State during the second half of an exhibition game on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self, who, in his 11 years at Kansas University has occasionally provided pizza and donuts for students who camp out for seats at basketball games, never takes the Jayhawks’ loudest, most creative supporters for granted.

“The students are great,” Self said Wednesday on his “Hawk Talk” radio show. “We don’t want to take away their enthusiasm.”

At the same time, he requests that those students who sing “home of the Chiefs” at the conclusion of the National Anthem, return to singing the actual words of the song: “home of the brave.”

“I don’t think we should do that (sing ‘home of Chiefs’),” Self said, responding directly to a question from a Hawk Talk caller.

“It was a couple years ago we actually made a big deal out of that and the students complied and quit doing it for a period of time.”

The “home of the Chiefs” lyrics disappeared in the 2012-13 season after Self spoke publicly about the matter in January of 2012.

“For whatever reason, I guess they’ve started doing it again. That’s not what needs to be done in this particular situation. Especially in today’s time when there’s so much publicity and notoriety, rightfully so, to the men and women who sacrifice so much for our country,” Self said. “I think it’s probably not something we should do, but from a kids’ standpoint I don’t think they know they are in poor taste doing it. I think it’s just something we should look at and realize, ‘Hey, c’mon now, let’s think about this before we actually do it.’”

Nobody knows exactly when it started, but some of the KU students in the end zones have been singing “home of the Chiefs” several seasons now, with the exception being last season.

Some of them perform the “tomahawk chop” when singing those words. It’s a copycat of pregame at Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium, where Chiefs fans have altered the words of the anthem in tribute to the home team for decades.

Of course, it should be noted many KU students do not take part in the altering of the song.

“That’s one tradition that in my opinion certainly we could do without,” Self told the Journal-World on Jan. 19, 2012. “I think it’d be more respectful toward the anthem and what that stands for to go ahead and use the actual words to it than putting in their own. I think they should stick to Francis Scott Key’s words. I think that would be more appropriate.”

Towson up next: KU (3-0) will next meet (3-1) Towson (Md.) at 7 p.m., Friday, in Allen Fieldhouse. Towson has won at home against Navy (72-45), Morgan State (95-75) and Temple (75-69) and lost at Villanova (78-44).

The Tigers are led by Pat Skerry, who is 22-45 in three years at the Colonial Athletic Association school.

Jerrelle Benimon, a 6-8 senior forward from Warrenton, Va., leads Towson in scoring (17.5 ppg) and rebounding (11.8). He also has a team-high 13 assists and seven blocks. Rafriel Guthrie, a 6-3 senior from Washington, D.C., averages 11.3 ppg, and Marcus Damas, a 6-7 senior from Bay Shore, N.Y., 10.8 ppg.

KU freshman Frank Mason committed to Towson his senior year of high school, but did not qualify academically at that time.

Proud papa: Joel Embiid’s dad, Thomas, who attended KU’s win over Iona on Tuesday night, attended practice Wednesday. Joel scored 16 points and grabbed 13 rebounds versus the Gaels while playing in front of his dad for the first time.

“What a nice man. You can see where Joel gets it,” Self said. “This would be like you or me not growing up playing cricket and trying to figure out how it works and your son is out there playing and people are cheering for him ... it has to be a pretty cool feeling. He was bouncing around pretty good today. It was nice to see.”

Thomas Embiid is a member of the Cameroon military. “He’s a colonel,” Self said. “I think Joel behaves when he’s back home. When the colonel speaks, I think Joel does (listen). It was pretty cool to see them together.”

Progress: Self on who was more advanced when first arriving at KU — Russia’s Sasha Kaun or Cameroon’s Embiid.

“I love Sasha but it’s not close,” Self said, giving the nod to Embiid. “Sasha is obviously stronger and more aggressive in some ways.

“If we ever let Sasha shoot a three-pointer it’d be the same result as Joel’s (miss versus Duke),” he added with a laugh. “Jo is so advanced from a skill standpoint where Sasha is more advanced from a physicality standpoint.”

Smith honored: Former KU player and assistant coach Dean Smith was one of 16 individuals awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom Wednesday. The honor dates to an executive order from President John F. Kennedy establishing the award.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the country’s highest civilian honor. According to the White House, this award is given to individuals, “who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.”

Smith competed at Kansas from 1949-53 and was a part of the Jayhawks’ national championship team in 1952. Smith and the Jayhawks were national runners-up in 1953.

After graduation, Smith served as an assistant coach at KU under Phog Allen for the 1953-54 season. Smith then went on to coach North Carolina basketball from 1961-97, winning two national championships.

Former KU and current North Carolina coach Roy Williams attended the ceremony.

Overrated?: Iona’s Sean Armand, who scored 14 points off 5-of-15 shooting in the Gaels’ 86-66 loss to KU, tweeted this on Tuesday: “Of course this kid is the headline on espn. Overrated.” He didn’t say for sure, but apparently was referring to Andrew Wiggins, who scored 13 in the win.

Comments

Jim Erickson 11 months, 1 week ago

The hype around Wiggens is a bit absurd. If he ends up as the second best player in college basketball, he will be a "let down".

To a lesser extent, this was done to Xavier Henry, who averaged double digits and was a key part of a very good basketball team lead by veterans Collins and Aldrich. He was seen by many as a "bust", which was ridiculous. Keep in mind that Perry Ellis, who is playing like a absolute star right now, had a very marginal role most of last season. I wouldn't exactly call him a failure. No matter who you are, it's tough to make an impact at Kansas as a freshman.

Jim Erickson 11 months, 1 week ago

Wiggins (Don't want the message board grammar police after me)

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 1 week ago

The 'grammar' police are not all the same as the 'player name spelling' police. Usually they precede the rehearsal of rights with 'I usually don't complain about spelling and grammar BUT'

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 1 week ago

Xavier broke the freshman scoring record of 27 points in a season opener, sounds pretty good to me.. Once Andrew gets going no one can stop him, its a confidence issue. By the end of non-conference he should be hitting those 20 point games every game.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

When all is said and done, Wiggins will have lived up to all the expectations people have given to him. The one thing they may not have expected was that he is a team player first and that winning is more important than statistics.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

The Chiefs thing is absolutely nonsensical. Just stupid. Who does that?

And who tweets overrated towards a player/team that just sleepwalked to a 20-point win over your team?

Congratulations to Dean Smith, a Kansas boy, a national champ at Kansas and the builder of his own great basketball legacy. Plus, he sent Roy to us.

Jonathan Allison 11 months, 1 week ago

it's stupid. It seemed like the "chiefs" chant was just in its incipient stage while I was at KU in '04-07. I don't know if people were doing this much before I was at KU, but it seemed like only a handful of people at the time. I've never beeen to a Chiefs game, but I guess that those students did go to the Chiefs games. It just seems dumb to drag that chant over to Allen Fieldhouse... at least if they were trying to start a KU tradition wouldn't they chant "home of the Hawks"?

Len Shaffer 11 months, 1 week ago

And took Roy back from us -- at the worst possible time.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

Just curious - do they sing the altered version at Arrowhead?

Marc Frey 11 months, 1 week ago

In my previous life I had to audition National Anthem singers. It should take 90 seconds and some girls who felt they were the next "Diva" added 15 seconds just by their own touch. Many did not make the cut. Just Sing It!

Dave Coen 11 months, 1 week ago

Coach Self, thanks for your leadership encouraging Chiefs fans to be respectful to our many veterans who have served and sacrificed for American freedom.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

So the national anthem is sung to honor veterans?

And all this time I thought it was to honor our country.

Ethan Berger 11 months, 1 week ago

Que comment that calls your stupid and says that with no vets, there is no America in 3,2,1....

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

As a veteran, I've always thought it was for all Americans who love this country. Veterans are just one of many groups/individuals who have sacrificed to make this country what it is today.

Titus Canby 11 months, 1 week ago

Two issues on the national anthem. 1) Allen Fieldhouse isn't the home of the Chiefs. It's the home of the Jayhawks. 2) Even at Chiefs games, as Self says, it's disrespectful. The first time I heard this at a Chiefs game, I was disgusted. Sing it as it was written.

Cameron Cederlind 11 months, 1 week ago

Disgusted at a Chiefs game? You must be fun at parties.

Lee Henry 11 months, 1 week ago

NO, He's just respectful of our Veterans......as we all should be.....

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

Cameron, poor taste my man. Poor taste...

Rodney Crain 11 months, 1 week ago

Maybe if the "home to the chiefs" vocalists served a tour in our armed forces they would have a different perspective on changing the words to our anthem?

On Armand's comment on Wiggins, he is just warming up Sean. Best hope you don't see Andrew again in March.

Matthew Pyle 11 months, 1 week ago

Get over yourself man. The "home of the Chiefs" thing at Arrowhead is meant to fire up the crowd and intimidate the opponent. Perhaps it should be "home of the jayhakws"..... but Self and the rest of you crybabies need to worry about more important things.

Rodney Crain 11 months, 1 week ago

Nothing to get over Matthew, this is easy.

Stand up like everyone else does, take off your hat, like everyone else does, and sing the right words or be silent, like everyone else does. That's all us crybabies are asking for.

Leaves us all plenty of time to worry about important things.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

OAKVILLE ODDITIES.

1] Andrew has an intrinsic value-added effect on the team he plays for. It is unmeasurable but it is there. He makes everybody else better. Whether it's his team play, his distracting presence to the opponent or his teammates desire to maintain their own highest quality. If that is the definition of "over-rated", well I hope Sean gets good TV reception as he sits and watches Andrew and the Hawks in the NC game in 2014!!

2] Colonel Embiid may have been the best dressed man in Allen Field House in the last decade or so!!

3] Not to be critical of Bill, but I thought I read that Papa Embiid played a little BBall himself. Something tells me he knows exactly how special his son is!!

4] The Snickers Candy Bar " Kansas City Chefs" commercial is still one of the best of all time...." Home of the Chiefs" great googlymoogly!!

5] Tomorrow at 12:30 pm, fifty years ago, I was headed to Brother Jorn's 1:00 Sophomore religion class at McBride High School in St.Louis, MO. when our world changed forever. I can almost guarantee any of you who lived through that weekend, can totally peg exactly where, when and what you were doing when you heard the tragic news.

6] God Bless every past, present and future military, police, fire and emergency personnel.... do your best to all come home safe and sound!!

Chris Shaw 11 months, 1 week ago

Amazing it's been 50 years since the assassination. I wasn't alive then, but crazy it's been 50 years.

"Go Chefs".

Suzi Marshall 11 months, 1 week ago

Oakville....you are OLD. I was in the second grade sitting in a classroom (don't know which subject...didn't know then) with Sister Maria. We better not let Oprah know how old we are.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

Did Sister Maria ever hit you with a ruler?? From 1st to 4th, I had Ursaline Nuns who used rulers....from 5th to 8th, I had Notre Dame Nuns in grade school and they just slapped us around. [If I recall, I think I deserved it!! }

Len Shaffer 11 months, 1 week ago

Not to be politically correct, but no kid ever deserves to be slapped around.

Suzi Marshall 11 months, 1 week ago

I have a very differenct politcal view. There were plenty of guys that NEED?SHOULD be slapped around.

Titus Canby 11 months, 1 week ago

It was kindergarten for me. I was watching TV when the news came on. As for the knuckle-rapping, that had to wait one more year when I met Sister Theodore.

Len Shaffer 11 months, 1 week ago

Good points about Wiggins. I wonder if he gave any consideration to Wiggins' defense when he called him overrated, given that Wiggins did a great job on the defensive end.

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Let's not start saying Wiggins is a pawn, since there is a chiefs theme today it reminds me of the many times fans say Dwayne Bowe is a pawn or distracting other players - it's laughable really. The fact is on offense he stands around on the three point line, when he gets the ball he generally passes it. He needs to be an alpha dog and make things happen. IMO, Wiggins will have a big impact on getting future guards/wings that are top 10 talents. I wouldn't trade Self for any other however my one tiny gripe (besides riding EJ too long in the tourney last year when he clearly was off his game) is he hasn't done a tremendous job of coaching these elite athletes that also possess high level skills like Xavier, Selby, Wright. I don't care if Xavier scored 27 points in his first game, everyone knew he was a stud coming in and he never hit his stride at KU, obviously Selby didn't either. Ben was a high NBA draft pick but did he ever really get a grip on confidently going to the basket off the dribble? He was dumbed down to a jump shooter and transition guy, easy to guard. Bill should tell these guys they are complete studs and they have the freedom to leverage their talents, otherwise he will no longer get these guys. Look at Selby, have we had an elite point guard since he came here? No (which has been our downfall, will be this year in March as well), and that's because recruiters from other schools take about 2 minutes to point out what happened to him at KU...kids don't care about our excuses, i.e., he missed some games, or was dinged up… I would personally prefer Self stay away from these 1 & done players, he's just not 'great' at coaching this type of talent. Small example, we have the fastest team in college, yet we still don't consistently push the fast break and run the other team out of the gym, just not his cup of tea. He holds these guys back anyone that honestly looked at history of our teams wouldn’t deny that.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

Mike, all valid points.

My only counter argument is 30 wins a year for 10 straight years, Top Ten Recruiting Classes for the last five or six years or more including #2 last season and the #4 and #12 players so far, this season, more Conf. Titles than home losses for a decade, numerous alumni in the NBA and European leagues, longest NCAA appearance run, a National Championship, etc., etc.

You can make a case for a coaching shortfall but in the end, doesn't the player himself bear at least some responsibility for not blasting at full speed?????

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

I agree with all. I am proud to have Self as our coach and as KU fans we all know how much time he puts into it, and the pain of every loss. I guess my thoughts are around wanting him to get a couple more rings, and us fans and the players of course, it seems like he plays it a little too safe with these elite players, they are elite for a reason. Look what the fool at K-State did when he took over those recruits at Illinois and took the reigns off, that was a loaded team and they almost won it all the year after Bill left. I wouldn't trade him for anyone we can all improve though myself included. As far as players blasting at full speed this has to be coached into the system, saying go fast all the time doesn't work unless you force it...just ask Roy Williams.

Suzi Marshall 11 months, 1 week ago

C'mon Mike...really? BMac was not an elite ranked player coming into KU. Selby is not a great example since he could not play until 2nd semester then was injured. Selby seemed to be out only for his stats and has not shown alot since leaving Kansas.

I really like how Wiggins is developing! He is learning how to best insert himself as a team player and is playing great defense. Wiggins reminds me of Jordan during his days as NC when it was said Dean Smith wass the only person that could hold him under 20 points.

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Ben was rated 24th in his class, that's elite when you consider he was one of the 25th best players in America out of over 100,000 players. You fed right into the Selby excuses i mentioned above. He was playing for 3 1/2 months, and his injuries we minor, they guy could dunk whenever he wanted to. Top ranked players don't need to develop and learn to fit in they are studs, see Parker & Randle the 2 he is compared to, previously considered better...now dropped from #1 projection in the draft to #5 in 2 short weeks. I hope he gets agressive and turns it up, but standing around the 3 point line all game waiting for the lane to suddenly open up is not going to get it done, he needs to be coached to confidently 'take off' and do his thing.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

Okay, let's do the list. Xavier has been an underachiever in the NBA, as has Julian (who should have stayed another year), as has Selby. So your examples of Self's inability to coach top talent are actually players that have proven themselves not to be top talent? These guys have proven, on their own, that they are average to below average NBA players, which means that they aren't elite by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as Wiggins, in a grand total of 3 games he is already the second-leading scorer on the team and 3rd in rebounds despite having to sit out a long stretch of the Duke game. The complaints toward Wiggins before he arrived was that his intensity was inconsistent - that's not a result of Bill Self's coaching.

Wiggins will continue to come on, stronger and stronger. He's a competitor and will, I believe, establish himself as an elite defender and as a dominant offensive presence. It's a long season, we might want to give him more than 2.5 games to prove that he is the Alpha Dog.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

Selby wasn't even allowed to PRACTICE with the team until the NCAA decision was made. Then he hurts his foot. And for a guy that could "dunk whenever he wanted" I sure saw him get rim-blocked more than any player in my memory. Selby had no lift at all and was trying to cram in enoguh good plays to get drafted, not to win games. That isn't a knock on Self's coaching. You can't assume that everything a player does on the floor was at the coach's instruction. Players have their own motives as well.

Top ranked players don't need to develop and learn to fit in? What are you talking about? This isn't an AAU game. Is the draft tomorrow? No, so let's not worry about where Wiggins gets drafted. The only thing that the good play of Randle and Parker and Smart has shown is that more than just the first team in the draft will get a future NBA All Star. They can actually select the one that fits their needs the best.

"...he needs to be coached to confidently 'take off' and do his thing."

AGAIN,. I have only read these exact words from Coach Self about a thousand times. To imply that Self isn't telling him these things is either due to a desire to trash Self or just plain stupidity. Pay attention. Self is telling him these things; Wiggins just isn't always doing them all the time.

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

Interesting thought Mike. If zero were a neutral opinion on the matter you bring up, +1 as complete agreement and -1 as complete disagreement, I'd be about a +0.5. I think Coach Calipari bests Coach Self in two areas: 1.) recruiting (which seems to be shifting though), and 2.) coaching blue-chip recruits up quickly. The second follows from the first with experience, and Cal has the added advantage of having coached in the NBA and where the talent level is off the charts compared to college. But the only reason why I can see what you see with respect to Coach Self is by comparison to Cal. Other than that, I'd be thinking he walked on water. Oh...and Suzi Marshall, wherever you are out there, it's nice to see the ladies mixing it up with the fellas on sports! HOORAH and ROCK CHALK to you, my friend!

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

Opinions on this will always be skewed based on the sample sizes and the players involved. Opinions of Self's ability to coach elite recruits will always be stained by Josh Selby, who as it turned out had no business being considered a OAD recruit. Just because he was dumb enough to leave after one year doesn't mean he should be judged on the same criteria as Cal with John Wall. Cal didn't do ANYTHING to "coach up" Wall. He was no better at the end of the year than he was at the beginning. He started as very good and finished as very good.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

No, Wiggins does NOT need to be an alpha dog and make things happen. He needs to play overall more agressively just as every other member of the team needs to do. The same could be said of virtually every player on every team after 3-4 games. It's early in the season.

Is it more important for Andrew Wiggins to lead the country in scoring or for Kansas to win games? When Kansas has such a huge matchup edge on the interior and Ellis and Embiid combine to go 16-18 for 37 points are you seriously saying that Wiggins needed to "be the alpha dog"? SERIOUSLY?!?

Let's not be the fans that are obsessed about having the player with the best NUMBERS. Stats are for dopes. Wiggins came here to develop his game and to be a part of a great team that wants to win the national title. KU doesn't need Wiggins to CARRY them to a title, just to do his part of what the team needs. Be aggressive, play great defense, attack, hustle, etc...

"Small example, we have the fastest team in college, yet we still don't consistently push the fast break and run the other team out of the gym, just not his cup of tea. He holds these guys back anyone that honestly looked at history of our teams wouldn’t deny that."

This might be the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. I have only heard Bill Self come out in public and say WE NEED TO PLAY FASTER about a ZILLION times this year. Are you goireally trying to convince us that it is SELF that is keeping these players from doing that?!? Come on, man. You are talking to an audience that actually pays attention to KU basketball. We aren't stupid, so don't try to slide some completely invalid complaint by us. If tyhat's what you really think then you need to pay more attention to waht is going on...

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Saying WE NEED TO PLAY FASTER does nothing if you can't coach it. You have no idea what you are talking about, you really don't. You are blinded and only see/hear the obvious. It is not worth it to reply you only perceive small time hoops.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

I guess we'll just keep an eye on this over the course of the season and we'll see who is right.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

Hey, look at that?!? Kansas just blew the friggin' doors off of Towson. 22 fast break points IN THE FIRST HALF. Gee, Self must have suddenly changed his entire coaching philosophy. Amazing!

Erich Hartmann 11 months, 1 week ago

Sorry Mike, but how many times last season did Self keep telling/wanting McLemore to "drive it", or "penetrate" or "get to the rim"? He had to do that because EJ was not attacking like Tyshawn used to do (recall the statement about Taylor living at the FT line). He even had Releford drive it. How many times did the same discussion happen about Xavier, especially during the conference season? There was a lot of speculation that Xavier was under orders from his dad to avoid injury. In the nonconf X is dunking with 2 guys draped all over him, and 2-3 mos later he is getting into the paint, yet shooting 2-3 ft floaters and bank shots with body contortions to avoid contact like we never seen before. Selby was hurt, he gets a pass...with the only critique that he should have returned for year 2 (free-publicity year).

Watch the end of the Duke game and realize the PTP'er that Wiggins is. He was down in the post signalling BIG-time for the ball, as he recognized he had a 6'1 Dukie guarding him. The jab-step-back jumper was bigtime, bigstage, big/crucial moment of the game. Final4 type atmosphere, huge arena, and our kids delivered.

Yet someone here (Mike) evidently feels he would want to take the side of a "sore loser" from Iona, over one of our own players who is trying to balance team-play with learning when and how often to be aggressive. Wiggins dropped 22 on Duke after sitting much of the first half in foul trouble. Some people still do not understand Bill Self team-basketball, but Andrew Wiggins learned it quicker than some fans here, as he told the TV reporter after the Duke game that "...thats what we (ku) do: we play from the tip to the very last play..." (and thats exactly how the game was won.) Be proud that THIS group of kids "gets" it. RCJH.

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Wrong Erich - Stop making excuses for these players/Self when it comes to this one small fault. He has to coach them so they do it during the game, no excuses in practice, when they don’t run the floor it’s time for laps, when they aren’t playing to their strengths it’s time for suicides. Telling the media about it after games doesn't impress me, this is the difference to me, and I'm not buying. And, I don't care what the fool from Iona said, my comments are based on my own perception and MANY others plus some coaches I have talked to – this is Self’s know weakness, we all have them not a huge surprise or insult.

Xavier trying not to get injured…..Selby injured the ENTIRE time he was here...give me a freakin break. I am a KU fan til death, but if you can't critique your own team you're not being honest. I do at times make excuses for my team when debating with MU/other fans just to get a good argument going….but not to KU fans...geesh

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

So does KU's 22 first half fast break points against Towson shut you up on this yet? Does EVERY KU player being interviewed that talks about how much Self stresses getting out on the break do it? The players have a split second to make the decision to run and if they miss the opportunity it is gone. They are starting to get used to the timing needed to successfully run. Guys are looking up the court right away after a rebound and pushing it.

But hey, let us know how practice is going since you seem to be there watching and know what Self is doing and stressing during practice.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

We've been duped.

Instead of offering us something insightful regarding game tomorrow night, or a topic relevant to KU hoops .. we get a re-hash of the same story raised two years ago. That's all we can get out of Hawk talk, or anything else since last game?

There are lots of storylines -- Andrew White's limited role, Tarik Black's ineffectiveness, how Frankamp might fit going forward, Mason's obvious impact on the game, Wiggins taking the game off, Traylor's inconsistencies, national media discussion, recruiting, etc. Heck, anything related to KU hoops.

But we all get to act indignant because some well intentioned folks exercise their right to free speech (harmless in this instance) and say "Chiefs" instead of "brave." And that has to be an insult to all veterans, as the national anthem is sung to pay homage to veterans, and not this great nation we live in.

Better topics, I'm sure.

Trent Smith 11 months, 1 week ago

Chiefs are a missouri team. We aren't the home of anything missouri!

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

I HATE that people add "CHIEFS" to the national anthem at Jayhawks games. It just makes them look stupid. Are we at Arrowhead? NO. It's completely moronic.

And Jack Wilson, you weren't duped. Was there something misleading in title of the article "Self still not a fan of altered anthem"? Is this the ONLY article posted on this site? No. If you want to read about Jayhawk basketball stories (there are more than a DOZEN listed to chose from) instead of reading about people's issue with the National Anthem, then don't click on the story titled "Self still not a fan of altered anthem".

And "freedom of speech"? Just stop. No one is asking that people be arrested for this, just that they show some respect for veterans and for the team. We are all provided the freedom of speech to stand up and scream Milwey Cyrus lyrics for the duration of the National Anthem. That is just as "harmless". It doesn't mean it isn't rude, disrespectful and annoying.

Show some respect for veterans and for the team whose home Allen Fieldhouse ACTUALLY IS and stop with the stupid "Chiefs" nonsense.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

Yes sir. Free speech doesn't make what you say right, or obligate others to like what you say, it just means that you get to reveal your stupidity freely and openly. Just as it allows many of us to say that it is our National Anthem and if you can't show basic respect for that song, then just shut up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those right-wing nuts, but sometimes things are simple unless somebody just wants to make them complicated. Someone else used the word moronic, and it's the best word for this behavior. This is not the behavior of proud Jayhawks.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

Mr. Junk: Please tell me please how saying "Chiefs" at the end of the nation anthem disrespects veterans. As I noted above, I kind of thought the national anthem honored our country, not individuals.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

When I listen to the national anthem I think of all of my relatives long lost that fought in service of our great nation that sacrificed their lives so that I could lead the life I have.

Just as I get offended by singers that hack the national anthem to pieces trying to make their own individual rendition, I get offended when people change the words to make the song into the celebration of a friggin' SPORTS TEAM. My granfather did not die for the Kansas City Chiefs; he died for this country. My mother did not grow up without her father because he was a CHIEF. She did so because her father was a BRAVE man who volunteered to fight for this great country in WWII.

"The home of the BRAVE" is the home of the brave men and women who were fighting for the freedom of other Americans. That is why it is disrespectful to not only veterans but to the tens of millions of Americans who have BRAVE veterans in their family ancestry who have died in the service of this great country.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

That is certainly fine and admirable. I appreciate your thoughts there. My view is that the national anthem does not honor individuals or people, it honors our great nation.

Not to be too harsh here, but I think you are way over doing it there. Some kids, or others, that intend no disrespect at all, say one word .... not even a bad or offensive word .... and that's what you relate it to?

There are some things way bigger that some folks saying "Chiefs." Your explanation there seems to dwarf all of that. Makes no sense to me as to why this would be so offensive.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

It doesn't matter if you think it is a big deal. The point is that to some people it IS a big deal and those people find it offensive and Coach Self does not want our student section doing things that offend some people, no matter what the percentage of offended people.

And let's not fall back on the old "there are worse things". NO ONE is saying that this is the worst thing that anyone can ever do. No one is being murdered here. We all understand that. But "it's not as bad as other things" isn't exactly the way to define acceptable behavior.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

Let me ask this: How many people are offended by the song being sung correctly? The answer is zero. How many are offended by the changing of the song? More than zero. It doesn't matter if you think that the offended people have a valid reason to be offended, why would KU fans want to purposely do something that offends a portion of their own fanbase?

As we have seen, KU is making a big push to try to broaden their national audience and make themselves more of a national brand. Now is the time to do everything possible to shore up our image. Every little bit helps. Yes, this is a small thing and yes there are much worse things, but it is an easy change to make that can only help the school and the team long term.

I will be at the game again tonite screaming my lungs out for our Jayhawks. Can't wait!

RJ King 11 months, 1 week ago

Couldn't agree more. Miley Cyrus lyrics? Now that might be fun. At least there's some creativity there. The Chiefs insertion is completely copycat. Sure, imitation is the highest form of flattery. It's also the highest form of banality.

Love to hear the anthem "just sung." But I'm also a fan of departures from the standard version - such as the Feliciano, Gaye, or Taylor arrangements - which provide a broader spectrum + creativity.

I can applaud the Ohio State band T-Rex, the old Stanford band antics, and the KU student poster which read, "Bring On Bama." Smart and funny.

Kit Duncan 11 months, 1 week ago

I didn't get to watch the game, but I would suggest that maybe Andrew didn't turn up the tempo A. Because others were doing just fine B. Joel's dad was in the house and he wanted JoJo to be the star of the game. I wouldn't worry about Andrew's game. It's a long season and he doesn't need to get injured or burn himself out in non-conference games that KU should be able to win even if he sits the whole game on the bench or hangs out on the 3pt line.

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Andrew is supposed to be a stud, taking off games is not acceptable, shame on you for acting like it is. He wanted JoJo to be the star, are you serious? This never crossed his mind, I swear people will make excuses for anything these days. I bet if your child burned your house down you would say "he was probably cold and couldn't find his blankey". Get it together.

Brett Lamb 11 months, 1 week ago

Just gonna say it to for argument sake. My father/step mother both of 25+ faithful service plus 3 tours of Iraq between them and myself a former service member of only 4 years. Waited for two decades to see a Chiefs game in person. When we did we loved the HOME OF THE CHIEFS chant at the end. However we as all should,IMO, should honor the right of those not to say that at the games as well as give the same respect to those do.

But please for all those doing this at the hallowed grounds of AFH please quit. KU is full of rich and time honored traditions and new one that has no bearing with this school is ignorant. REspectfully this is just my opinion

Joe Joseph 11 months, 1 week ago

Someone, anyone, please tell me how chanting "chiefs" at the end of the national anthem is disrespectful? Those who chant it (at least, I'm assuming) aren't saying it out of disrespect to the United States or even veterans. They're probably saying it because they're Chiefs fans and feel that strongly about the Chiefs.

Cheese and rice. It's not like they're saying home of the "cowards," "lazies," "obese" or "ridiculously high levels of poverty for a civilized nation."

Should people probably just sing the anthem word-for-word? Probably. But if you're offended by this or find it disrespectful??? Good God man. There are a lot of other things in the United States that should be offending you more.

NON-ISSUE.

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

If you don't already know, then it can't be explained to you.

(The reasons are self evident)

Joe Joseph 11 months, 1 week ago

Come on man. Get over yourself and your hypersensitivity. "Chiefs" isn't being said disrespectfully.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 1 week ago

Actually, it's being said stupidly and disrespectfully. It literally makes no sense and is something I'd expect to hear at Cow College down the road.

Yolanda Gay 11 months, 1 week ago

If people want to say home of the chiefs, go to a chiefs game. It's disrespectful and embarrassing to our Jayhawks. But most importantly disrespectful to our BRAVE men and women who are fighting for our country and those who lost their lives fighting for our country. Sing it the way it was written or don't sing it at all.

Raymond Wright 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused as to how singing words to a song is disrespectful to the troops.

Clarence Haynes 11 months, 1 week ago

Armand strikes me as being a mouthy dude trying to get some attention (btw, I cleaned this up!). Wiggins will do far more than okay. Let's see where "mouthy" is in five years!

Trent Smith 11 months, 1 week ago

The whole chiefs thing is stupid. The student section should be ashamed of themselves for disrespecting the anthem with the name of a Missouri team! Who does that in Allen Field House? I would expect this from the student section of Missouri, not ours!

RJ King 11 months, 1 week ago

Justice Winslow commits to Duke. HEM? Discuss???

Suzi Marshall 11 months, 1 week ago

no surprise with Winslow's signing with Duke. I still believe if Kansas can sign Turner and possibly Vaughn, we have the best recruiting class. Turner is still a growing young man.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

BayHawkaholic: You know, when we landed Oubre, we got our guy. And though we're in on Vaughn, he's not going to come in and start next season. I don't think there's any chance that we get Vaughn. Our perimeter is loaded, even if we lose Wiggins and Selden -- which I don't think is a guarantee.

Myles is the more interesting possiblity. I would think that we would have to lose both Embiid and Ellis to get Turner, just assuming that neither Alexander nor Turner would go somewhere they wouldn't start.

RJ King 11 months, 1 week ago

Ha! I was lightheartedly teasing, based on some of the older posts. Thanks for the response.

Yeah - I'm all over Oubre. Very satisfied with that commit! Given your presumption that Turner won't go where he wouldn't start, that would rule out Duke (Okafor) and maybe Kentucky (Towns)? With Tarc leaving, UofA looks promising. The recruiting classes of Ohio State (excellent) and Oklahoma St (very good) have room for a center, with Texas having the most room?

Do we know if or when Turner might visit?

Erich Hartmann 11 months, 1 week ago

Self is saying the politically correct thing, that's all.

KU is in Lawrence, KS...within an hour's drive of Arrowhead. That is well-within "home" territory for many KC fans, meaning that many KU students/fans may be also KC fans.

I personally may agree with Self, but I do not take the students "Chiefs" chant personally, as I dont think they are being malicious. They are doing it for laughs and thrills.

Honestly, when the natl anthem is sung straight and with genuine emotion, it almost always makes me emotional thinking about people's sacrifices, and also us taking it on the chin with 9/11... Hearing "chiefs" brings a chuckle and some levity. Of course the ku intro video brings its own chills and tears...

Finally, people go find the audio of LeAnn Rimes 'acapella' (voice only, no music) rendition of the Natl Anthem...recorded when she was 18 or 19...absolutely hands down the best Natl Anthem I have ever heard. I used to think Whitney Houston's 1991 superbowl version was the best (owned that CD), but after hearing Rimes's version...I gave away the Whitney CD single. (And I'll always love Whitney Houston). The very slight "country" (mildest twang) in Rimes' voice is perfect, and her vocal range is ridiculous. Give your ears and hearts a treat people, find this on YouTube or something...

That guy who sings it for the Chicago Bears is pretty powerful in his own way. He makes me think of US Marines for some reason...

Erich Hartmann 11 months, 1 week ago

Also, the Kansas City Chiefs are not a "missouri" team just because the stadium is in that state. They are much, much bigger than "missouri". And KC Chiefs have nothing to do with that university in Columbia, MO...

Steve Corder 11 months, 1 week ago

Self is STILL NOT a fan of the altered anthem, really? One would think after two years he'd finally gain a sense of irreverent humor and join the few blockheads in this post who like the altered anthem. "Home of the Chiefs"....what a frat move!

Jack Jones 11 months, 1 week ago

Kindest words I can think of ~~ It adds ZERO class to a class University.

Mike Adams 11 months, 1 week ago

Right - It's ignorant at best, and the people on here saying it's overly sensitive or not a 'big deal' are a small part of what's wrong with this country. These people should go serve over in Afghanistan for a couple months...then come back and tell us how cute it is. And the guy who says his father didn't care about wrecking the anthem is a dirt bag....such a dirt bag wow.