Monday, November 18, 2013

KU RB James Sims named co-Big 12 offensive player of the week

Kansas running back James Sims breaks through the West Virginia defense for yardage during the first quarter on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University running back James Sims' career day during Saturday's victory against West Virginia earned him co-Big 12 player of the week honors with Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty, conference officials announced this morning.

Sims, who led KU to its first Big 12 victory in three years, finished with 211 yards on 22 carries (9.6 yards per carry) and added three touchdowns to help Kansas knock of WVU 31-19.

Sims had career-best runs of 62 and 68 yards, with the latter coming in the form of a crucial touchdown run just before halftime.

For the season, Sims has 914 yards in 10 games and needs just 86 yards in the final two weeks to rack up his second straight 1,000-yard season. He needs 100 yards in those two weeks to reach a new career high for a single season. And he needs 446 yards to pass June Henley as KU's all-time leading rusher. He currently has 3,396 career rushing yards.

Sims never has been one to worry about individual success or accolades, but, after his big day against West Virginia and the lift the offense got from its first complete game of the season, the senior from Irving, Texas, believes anything is possible — even breaking the record.

“I feel like I can," he said. "We just have to take what we did this week, take it through practice, go to Ames (Iowa) and try to do the same thing."

Of the top spot on KU's all-time rushing list, he added: "During the offseason, that was my main goal — leave Kansas as the No. 1 running back. That's all I had in my mind. We're slowly, gradually getting to where we were (as a rushing team). If the record comes, it comes. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Wins are better."

Sims and the Jayhawks play at Iowa State at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Comments

Jordan Powell 6 years ago

That all time career mark may be out of reach considering we wont have a bowl game to play in.

W Keith Swinehart II 6 years ago

Congratulations, James. Your athletic abilities are unquestioned. But I am most impressed by your unselfishness and positive attitude. I hope you reach your highest on-the-field goals, but, rest assured, your attitude will carry you to even higher lifetime rewards.

Jonathan Allison 6 years ago

June Henley can go ahead and pop open the champagne bottle, but Sims is certainly a Jayhawk who deserves to be celebrated, especially in an era for this program where there are not very many things to celebrate.

Let this be a lesson though to the next great KU running back. Henley's record was not Sims to lose this season. The record was lost when Sims incurred the 3 game suspension prior to last season. In fact, if not for Bourbon's injury last year, Henley's record may not have even been a blip on Sims' radar this year.

Jim Erickson 6 years ago

I for one feel this game at Iowa State is huge.

Winning 1 game last year was a huge disappointment for many reasons, the biggest being that there was no obvious improvement from the TG era. By winning one or both games, it would be a clear improvement and we could head into the off season feeling as though the program is at least headed in a positive direction. Many of us were saying a 4 or 5 win season would be a great step in the right direction. It's there for the taking.

Jim Erickson 6 years ago

As per my previous comment, winning another game or two to finish this season would also help with AD Zenger's quest to raise money to renovate the stadium.

Memorial Stadium is an absolute eye sore that leads to a bad fan experience, and worse, shows recruits that Kansas isn't serious about the program. Our rivals have venues that show they are serious. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would imagine that we are about $50-100 million away from such a renovation.

Getting rid of the chain link fence in the south end zone, improving the concourses, improving the tailgating area, removing the track, adding something like the formerly proposed "Gridiron Club", lowering the field level, putting limestone up instead of the concrete... A "serious" renovation certainly will not be cheap. A win or two could help convince some donors to invest.

Andy Tweedy 6 years ago

Loved June Henley but all that ever seems to come to mind when I hear that name is why he wasn't on the field against Nebraska when it mattered most...a day when Nebraska could have thrown the entire metropolitan area of Omaha and Lincoln at him and not stopped him from scoring. But alas...that's not a knock on Henley, just a question I don't think Mason can ever answer correctly.

Regardless, I was a cynic when Sims broke on to the scene as a freshman, sure glad I was wrong. He's a beast, glad he was on our side!!! And I'm feeling good about his chances in Ames, ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Brandon Mahon 6 years ago

I think the stadium is a great view from atop the hill. Yes take out the track, add some seating under the big score board and clean it up a little. One of the recruits had a pic on his twitter this weekend and if they do some face-lifting to the place it could be good looking. Lets not forget we have one of the oldest stadiums in the NCAA. That may not always be a bad thing.

pic.twitter.com/Ob2zmomjY8. Like I said the fence, the track, and maybe fill up the north bowl a little bit

Matt Gauntt 6 years ago

Hope he gets a look in the NFL. CBS Sportsline has him ranked #37. A well deserving player would be hard to find.