Tuesday, November 12, 2013

KU-Iowa State kickoff set for 7 p.m. Nov. 23

The Kansas University football team's final road game of 2013 will kick off under the lights in Ames, Iowa, KU officials announced this afternoon.

KU's Nov. 23 match-up with Iowa State is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. and will be televised by Fox Sports 1.

The game features the bottom two teams in the conference standings — both teams enter this weekend 0-6 in Big 12 play — but, according to a source, was scheduled for a prime-time kickoff because there are fewer games throughout college football at 11 a.m. that day and putting another Big 12 match-up in the earlier time slot allows better exposure and less competition for that game.

Kansas will be traveling to Iowa State for the 47th time and leads the Cyclones, 22-21-3, in games played in Ames. KU leads the all-time series with ISU, 49-37-6, but the Cyclones have won three-straight over the Jayhawks.

KU (2-7 overall, 0-6 Big 12) will play host to West Virginia this weekend, in a game scheduled for an 11 a.m. kickoff Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Comments

Robert Brown 9 months, 2 weeks ago

In my opinion, best chance for a win.

Chuck Woodling 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Uh, would you explain in more detail the reason two bottom feeders are meeting in prime time? Your "source" reasoning is gibberish.

Kevin Randell 9 months, 2 weeks ago

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Matt Tait 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It's actually not, but here ya go.

K-State and Oklahoma play the same day. That's obviously going to get better ratings nationally than KU-ISU. So the Big 12 would like to put the KSU-OU game in the 11 a.m. time slot (instead of 7 p.m.) because there are fewer "good TV" games on TV at 11.

In short, KSU-OU will/should get better ratings at 11 a.m. than it would at 7 p.m. while other better games are on the dial. Since KU-ISU ratings are going to be roughly the same no matter what time the game is played, there's no point in putting that in a more favorable time slot.

Carry on...

Chris Bailey 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Matt, where is Darrian Miller? ?

Chris Bailey 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Darrin Miller?????? This must be the topic I find the least bit of info on. His name appears in a game now he's off the depth chart.

Kevin Randell 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Sorry that my previous post came across as sarcastic, but I always thought the marquee match ups were scheduled for the afternoon and evening time slots. But at this point, we as Jayhawk fans should just be happy to be able to watch the games.

Lance Cheney 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like they'd rather have anybody besides the 2 worst teams in the conference play at 11 a.m, when there's a higher likelihood that more people will be watching (due to fewer other college games being on). This is what they deem "better exposure" for the conference.

Actually, after reading what I just wrote, it's just as confusing when I write it...

Jack Jones 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Uh, your interest in this topic is absurd.

Terry N Tom Denner 9 months, 2 weeks ago

In my opinion, not going to happen. ISU 38-13 !!! No conference wins until Charlie realizes he's not the mister know it all offensive play caller he thinks he is. PLUS, no O-Line to protect the QB the Sqawks will be 2-10 next season as well.

Joey Meyer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This is a major bummer. I have been really looking forward to this game for a good year now as a great opportunity to get to Ames and see the town, while still being an easy day trip back. Now it'll mean staying in town for the night or getting back to KC at 2am. I'd still like to go... if for nothing else to say that I saw KU break the b12 and the road streak and claim that I'm a GOOD fan through thick and thin... but maybe that's just me.

Billy Smith 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Charlie, most everybody knows who the starting QB will be. He is not very good at bluffing. West Virginia will be preparing for Cozart. This is the lowest point spread against KU since the first few games. Charlie has been doing a lot of talking, but with such a limited offense it is hard to see KU's "bowl game" going in our favor. That being said, these next two games are winnable. It would be nice to get that conference losing streak off our back, its pretty embarrassing.

Chris Bailey 9 months, 2 weeks ago

WHAT HAPPENED TO DARRIAN MILLER? ?????????????