Thursday, May 30, 2013

KU football player Chris Martin charged with aggravated robbery; bond set at $35,000

photo

Chris Martin

Douglas County prosecutors charged junior Kansas University football player Chris Martin and two other men Thursday with aggravated robbery in connection with a May 13 home invasion in southwest Lawrence.

Martin, along with former Kansas football player Jeremiah Letrell Edwards, 21, of Garland, Texas, and Joshua Edwards, 28, of Lawrence, were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of robbing cash and marijuana from a Lawrence man at gunpoint at a home in the 1900 block of Camelback Drive about 10:30 p.m. on May 13, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman.

The victim in the case was a 24-year-old KU student who lived at the Camelback Drive residence.

The three arrested men remained in Douglas County Jail Wednesday night and appeared in Douglas County District Court Thursday via video, where all three were charged with one count of aggravated robbery. Prosecutors asked that bond for Martin be set at $50,000, but Martin's attorney, Chris Joseph, said that figure was too high because Martin did not pose a danger to the community and was not a flight risk.

Joseph said that he thought the handgun allegedly involved in the robbery might have been a toy gun rather than a working firearm. And, he said, Martin had no intention of leaving the area.

Chris Martin transferred to Kansas earlier this year as a four-star defensive end, but has not yet played in a game here.

Douglas County District Judge Kay Huff set bond for all three defendants at $35,000 with the requirement that they have no contact with the victims or any witnesses in the case. All three defendants are scheduled to appear in court again on June 6.

A conviction for aggravated robbery in Kansas can carry a prison sentence from 55 months to 20 years, depending on a person's criminal history. Douglas County prosecutors said Martin had no criminal record. A 2011 citation for marijuana possession in Florida had been resolved by a diversion agreement.

Comments

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

He may not leave Lawrence until the case is over, or his jail-time is served, but he's a goner. He hasn't been convicted yet, but this is already casting a negative light over the whole program. Hopefully Weis visits him in jail before he posts bond and kindly asks him to never step foot on campus again. Then again, Weis is out of town recruiting kids that actually matter.

squawkhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, can't wait to see what other thugs Weis brings to town.

hawk316 1 year, 5 months ago

RockChalk, although what Martin did is indefensible (given what we now know), your last comment seems to me rather harsh: "Then again, Weis is out of town recruiting kids that actually matter."

I believe that everyone "matters," even when they make stupid mistakes in life (which actually covers just about all of us to one degree or another).

His football career at KU may likely be over, but his life does not need be. What he does from here on out is now what matters.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 5 months ago

And that settles it ... Chris Martin, although the idea of you was great, you sir shall hit the road. Maybe leavenworth is a better fit for you. Good luck in your future and I pray none of the other recruits are as stupid as you.

Hurinfan 1 year, 5 months ago

How often do I have to read about our athletes doing illegal stuff or people in our athletic department doing something illegal?

Jack Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

crimsonorblue22 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess I read stories about some terrific student athletes, more than negative ones. Lets see, graduation pics, baseball team reaching finals, Big12 honor roll, track and field kids going to nationals, and the girls ranked 1st. I could go on. My advice to you would be to stop reading if it bothers you so much!

BayPark 1 year, 5 months ago

He'll be kicked out of school, but the damage is done. When you take players with character issues, this is what you get. That whole bit about how Weis vets these guys so thoroughly is hogwash. He just wants to win--period. If they can play, they can play for KU. But it's not worth it to the university we love. I tried to make this point a few days ago and was hammered for it. Who disagrees with me now?

ljmhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

the dude isn't a "kid" he's a grown man...21 years old is not a kid.

Topher Peters 1 year, 5 months ago

He's a kid. You're one too, apparently.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 5 months ago

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm talking about the second chance he got when coming to KU. Not saying that he deserves another after this... Read my post above.

kay_you 1 year, 5 months ago

This was his second chance. I don't think he deserves another, atleast not here.

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

Ummm... I think that's exactly what I said above. Thanks for saying it better than I could.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

Add me to the list of people who STILL disagree with you and will ALWAYS disagree with that viewpoint in regards to recruiting college football players.

Yes, Charlie Weis want to win because that's what he was hired to do. KU is not in a position where they can only recruit kids who will never do anything stupid because Charlie Weis does not want to go 0-12 every year. Kids that are brought in, regardless if they're HS or JuCo, are told what the expectations are in regards to their behavior and in the classroom and if a kid doesn't meet those requirements, Weis will have no problem getting rid of them as he has done already in his approximate year and a half on the job.

Topher Peters 1 year, 5 months ago

I disagree. I want KU to win football games. Every football program that gets the players that can take them to the top has to deal with issues like this. It's just that some are better at covering things up better than others. I honestly don't care if these kids have "character" issues, they're KIDS. All kids have some problems. And ljmhawk, I'm guessing you're a college/high school age person. Because anyone who thinks that a 21 year old isn't a kid, is an idiot.

squawkhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

KU seems to have become experts at getting kids like this and at having these kinds of issues lately. I guess it is sheer desperation to win at any cost.

Cmill1221 1 year, 5 months ago

Well said. Even at 27 I still feel like a kid.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

"Anyone who thinks a 21 year old isn't a kid, is an idiot"

Well apparantely I'm an idiot. I'll return the insult, here's my take:

Anyone who thinks a 21 year old is still a "kid" is immature, overly sheltered by parents, is desperately holding onto their childhood, and is in denial about the responsibilities of adulthood they face.

If you're 21 and a male, you're a physically and mentally a MAN. Period. Hell, at 18 years old, I considered myself a man. Not a boy. Not a kid. A man. Because that's how I FELT, and that's what I WAS in the eyes of the law. I knew, as a man, I could face some very bad, "big boy" consequences if I made stupid decisions, such as committing crimes or just being irresponsible by not paying bills on time.

Don't tell a 21-year-old he's a "kid". Kids don't go to PRISON. Adults go to prison. 21-year-olds are adults. A 21-year-old who thinks he's a kid will get b*tch-slapped in the face by reality when he's sent to prison for commiting a crime.

bad_dog 1 year, 5 months ago

There's a 12 year old "kid" charged in the second-degree murder of his sister right now. He is being charged as an "adult". If convicted, he will be incarcerated; probably in a Juvenile facility until 18, then likely transferred to the big house. There are also two 16 year old females currently charged (as adults) with murder in the death of another female teen they didn't want to be friends with anymore. How awkward that must have been for them... One ratted the other out and led authorities to the body-a year later, so she'll get a reduced charge. Nevertheless, if convicted, at least the other one will likely go to prison.

As for whether chronological age determines whether someone is a "man", I couldn't disagree more. A man is someone that acts responsibly, treats others with respect and accepts responsibility for their actions. IMHO, an emancipated male child can be a man if he acts in a manner that merits the description. Otherwise, you're just a male human regardless of age.

Jeremy Hays 1 year, 5 months ago

Let's see... Tyshawn Taylor disagrees with you Sherron Collins disagrees with you Thomas Robinson disagrees with you Mario Little disagrees with you

I could go on....I think Bill Self thought he vets these guys so thoroughly? I just don't see how 1 bad apple spoils what Charlie is doing!!! all of these people had "brushes" with the law should they have been here???

If you have never done anything that could get you in trouble... Drink and drive, get in a fight etc then you can bash someone but remember (and I wish Chris would have remembered this) when you are major athlete at a Major university, people are looking for you to mess up.

Now all that being said I hope there is a silver lining for this young man.

David A. Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

I disagree. People who make the most of second chances are worth the ones that disappoint. And, this is not over and none of us have the facts. I, for one, hope that something comes to light that can somehow redeem his opportunity here.

ljmhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

looks like he will be playing for Leavenworth

Jerry Long 1 year, 5 months ago

cjp - have to disagree with you. A 21-year-old is not a kid. He can legally vote, serve in the armed forces, sign a contract, and buy a drink at the local bar. Now, I am going to turn around and agree with you. Not ALL 21-year-olds are adults. Some are indeed kids and no more mature than my 11-year-old grandson. The point is, I really have a problem with having my alma mater represented by a person who invades a home, possibly kidnaps another human being, and waves a gun around to steal cash and weed. I was hoping that Coach Self would give Rio Adams another chance, but I see this as a whole different ball game (no pun intended). Rio was immature; a kid. If Mr. Martin is found guilty, he is dangerous, and an idiot. Therein, in my humble opinion, lies the difference.

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

"The point is, I really have a problem with having my alma mater represented by a person who invades a home, possibly kidnaps another human being, and waves a gun around to steal cash and weed."

We all have a problem with that. Isn't that obvious? The point is, nobody could have seen that this could would do something so stupid. The only thing on his record previously was a citation for the possession of marijuana. Sorry that NOBODY assumed he would commit aggravated robbery.

Jerry Long 1 year, 5 months ago

If you read some of the earlier posts, it isn't obvious. Some are trying to say he is just a mixed up kid. Not true. And I am not saying that anyone should have assumed he would do something like this, but the fact is that he did. This is not some kind of immature prank and I am not prepared to cut him any slack on it.

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

I think I'll go watch more videos of Andrew Wiggins.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe Self brought in a other recruit lol. The man got a second chance and it unless something drastic changes, it isn't working out. If he's off the team, which we expect, then we move on and cheer on our Hawks next fall without him.

texashawk10 1 year, 5 months ago

At least the Julie Hermann story isn't going away anytime soon and this is already off the main CFB pages at ESPN and CBS so I don't very many people outside of KU are paying that much attention to this.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 5 months ago

I still think it is premature to adjudicate Martin. He has not yet been convicted and further to that, who are the people who called the people to report him? Guys selling weed?

I'd like to know further details but that being said, I cannot he put himself in this position.

I am incredulous.

CrystalJones 1 year, 5 months ago

We haven't won a Big 12 game in years. That's even more embarrassing than Martin's antics.

Just get him through the legal stuff this summer, spend a little time in jail, do some community service, and get him back on the field. We can't afford to let a talent like this go to waste. He'll play in the NFL someday, prison or not. In the meantime, let's just do whatever it takes to win.

We've got a potentially great offense. Martin will go a long way towards a great D. If it all comes together, we could be the surprise of the conference this year. I know he's trouble with a capital T, but just get him on the field. Just win.

Please.

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm pretty sure that the "like" on this comment was given by the one who posted. Just plain silly comment.

Jeremy Hays 1 year, 5 months ago

Ok sooooo,

I looked at this and thought 1 out of 25 recruits and one out of 85 that we are talking about -- again not good but

I think since Charlie was bringing in these "character issues guys" as you put it. This is on par with the rest of the NCAA.

"Sports Illustrated recently published an article based on its joint study with CBS into the criminal backgrounds of college athletes. The article, entitled “Rap Sheets, Recruits and Repercussions,” has analysts, administrators and experts unified in condemnation and rhetoric. The primary takeaway—the headline scrolling across ESPN’s bottom line—is “One in fourteen (7%) of college football players found to have been in trouble with the law.”"

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 5 months ago

This young man needs help and it is best that he leaves Lawrence to get the help and care that he needs!

Cliff Leiker 1 year, 5 months ago

It is unfortunate that Chris Martin threw away his chance to be a star at Kansas. Firstly, Kansas needed him. Secondly, he needed Kansas. No football and classes to attend left Mr. Martin bored and looking for a little fun. His irresponsible behavior cost himself, cost his teammates, and cost the University. Everyone is accountable for their actions, whether it be Coach Weis, Coach Self, the AD, the President of the University, me, or you, Mr. Martin. Sometimes lessons in life are hard to learn. My hope is that you learn from this poor choice.

eric poncharello 1 year, 5 months ago

"He's going to be doing everything he can to stay here and continue his career at the university," Joseph said. "He's not going anywhere." Evidently Martin wasn't doing his best before he committed a crime. Call it, what it is, big dumb kid!

Robert Brock 1 year, 5 months ago

This would be normal behavior at OU or UT.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 5 months ago

Let the criminal justice system take its course. He seems like a guy who has done questionable things in the past but we don't know the whole story.

Do athletes/students smoke weed? Yes - more than us 40 somethings who post on here know. Heck its legal in Colorado. Maybe he the 2 dudes he went to the house with told him they knew the guys and and when they got there one of them pulls a gun (real or fake) and suddenly you are in a bad situation. He could have easily been the guy who started the whole thing as well - then he should be kick off the team and out of school.

Other schools deal with this all the time. Didn't Beckham-Green at MU get caught smoking weed at Misery. He played the whole year. If it happened at KSU Snyder would give the patented "it will be dealt with in house" and make run a few stadium stairs and never hear about it again.

Again let the system play out before passing judgement. Every one of us did some stupid things in college. The possible gun use issue is the biggest problem here.

phaedruscj 1 year, 5 months ago

Plead heat exhaustion and get the case moved to Riley County.