Thursday, May 23, 2013

No consensus on McLemore’s draft position after lottery

Kansas guard Ben McLemore waves to a face in the crowd as he and his teammates stretch prior to tipoff against North Carolina, Sunday, March 24, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

There’s a strong possibility Kansas University’s Ben McLemore will be coached by a Jayhawk in the NBA next season.

DraftExpress.com’s latest 2013 Mock Draft has Jacque Vaughn’s Orlando Magic selecting the 6-foot-5 McLemore with the No. 2 overall pick in June 27 draft, following Cleveland’s projected selection of Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel at No. 1.

“I just think McLemore has real superstar quality,” Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix told the Orlando Sentinel. “I think he’s a more athletic version of Ray Allen. He certainly finishes better than Ray. After a couple of years, he could really blossom into one of those franchise 2-guards.”

Mannix believes McLemore is just too talented to pass up, even though Orlando needs a point guard and Michigan’s Trey Burke is available.

“The Magic have needs everywhere. They have a lot of good, young talent, no question about it, but there’s not anybody on that roster where you say, ‘We’re not going to take this specific position.’ I think you have to take the best player on the board,” Mannix told the Sentinel.

Orlando’s starting shooting guard currently is capable veteran Arron Afflalo. Cleveland, which is not expected to take McLemore after selecting 6-4 shooting guard Dion Waiters a year ago, could trade the top pick considering Noel is not expected to be back from a torn ACL until Christmastime.

“Noel is just the sort of defensive presence they (Cavaliers) need to upgrade the worst defensive team — in terms of field goal percentage — in the league,” Mannix told the Sentinel.

NBAdraft.net, by the way, still has McLemore listed as the top pick in the draft, followed by Noel to Orlando, Otto Porter to Washington and Victor Oladipo to Charlotte.

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford has Noel No. 1, followed by Burke, Porter and McLemore all the way to No. 4 to Charlotte.

“The Bobcats are the big losers, again, in the draft lottery. But if they land McLemore, they might get the player with the best upside in the draft,” Ford wrote at ESPN.com. “The team desperately needs outside shooting, and McLemore might have the best stroke of anyone in the draft.”

McLemore on Wednesday spoke with ESPN.com’s Henry Abbott about the draft: “A lot of people have different opinions. A lot of people say he (Burke) should be No. 1 and I should be No. 1 and Nerlens and so on. You’ve got to work to get that position.

“I won’t be disappointed,” McLemore added of a scenario in which he would not be No. 1. “As long as I get drafted and have the opportunity to take care of my family ... that’s the main thing to me, taking care of my family.”

Both ESPN’s Ford and DraftExpress.com say KU’s Jeff Withey will be taken No. 22 overall by Brooklyn. NBAdraft.net currently has Withey as a second-round pick, No. 35 overall to Philadelphia.

Comments

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

"Some Rules Used By NBA Teams to Draft Players".

--If we need a point guard, we draft a center.

--If we need a shooting guard, we draft a center.

--If we need a small forward, we draft a center.

--If we need a power forward, we draft a center.

--If we need a center, we trade down for a guard and a forward.

--If we need a coach, we draft a center and a shooting guard.

--If we need a new GM, we trade up two spots and draft a tweener.

--If we need a new owner, we move the franchise, fire the GM, hire a .500 coach, and draft a center.

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

If Cleveland, or Charlotte, draft Ben, he should sue immediately for free agency and blow the NBA out of the water! Those will be three wasted years. It is time for the NBA to adopt the OAD rule for itself. One year contracts the first year, then free agency. It's America. It's OADtastic!!!!

jayhawk012234 10 months, 3 weeks ago

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO OF PREVIEW OF NEXT YEARS JAYHAWKS INCLUDING RETURNEES, RECRUITS AND TARIK BLACK.. http://youtu.be/ivHkJvSm_bY ...ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

texashawk10 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Dan Gilbert does not know how to run a franchise. However, Noel is the better fit for what they need. Varejao seems like he is always injured at this point and it's too early to tell what Waiters will turn into. Noel's injury is a red flag, but not enough to pass on if the Cleveland management think he can develop into a very good compliment to go with Irving. I thought going into the lottery that Detroit or Phoenix was the best fit for McLemore, but neither are realistic options at this point so I really hope he goes to Orlando otherwise he is going to rot in Charlotte.

Big_Dipper 10 months, 3 weeks ago

With all the talk of the Kings moving to Seattle, or not moving, I've been hoping the Magic move to KC and draft McLemore. With a Jayhawk as a coach and a Jayhawk as a star player on the team, there's no reason they shouldn't have several fans in attendance on a nightly basis. Especially if they get lucky and get the number 1 pick next year and draft Wiggins. But it's likely just a dream...

Keith Kienzle 10 months, 3 weeks ago

jaybate, your last comment is brilliant.

Sam Constance 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Withey falling to the second round would be insanity. Especially when you think about the fact that Aldrich, who most of us can agree was not as agile or athletic as Withey, went in the lottery.

As far as Ben goes, I tend to agree with KGphoto. He resembles Ray, not just in his shooting stroke, but in the fact that Allen wasn't the kind of break-down-his-defender, get-his-own-shot sort of player that everyone is wondering if Ben can do. He also wasn't the type of assertive two-guard that we see in guys like Dwyane Wade.

If you can shoot like Ben, you will make it in the NBA. There are already plenty of guys in the NBA who are built to get guys like Ray Allen and Ben McLemore an open look. If Ben wants to become a special player, then yes, he's going to have to refine his handle and probably become a bit more aggressive. But he has the building blocks to be a solid NBA starter for his entire career.

I am a tad torn, however. With Cleveland holding the #1 pick, I'm split between wanting Ben to get the #1 overall pick he deserves and not wanting him to go to basketball wasteland (aka, Cleveland). One thing is for sure, no matter where Nerlens Noel goes in the draft, it will be too high for a raw/limited near-footer who has questionable knees. Noel should be late lottery to first round if you ask me. Too many questions about what he brings to the table and whether or not he will ever be as good physically as he was before the ACL tear.

jaybate 10 months, 3 weeks ago

The NBA fascinates from a firm regime point of view. The teams with lottery picks are not only usually the worst teams, but they are usually also the worst managed teams. This leads them not only to pick incorrectly, but then to poorly coach the player they shouldn't have picked. I cannot think of another profession, or industry, that systematically and intentionally matches its best talent with its worst management in the early stages of that talents' careers. It makes a good case for the inefficiency of cartels. Even the privately owned central banking cartel and grain cartel don't intentionally do what the NBA does. :-)

chriz 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Glad to see that Ben didn't make any comments about his amateur status!

Kyle Sybesma 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I was watching an ESPN post game commentation from Stephen A. Smith in Miami and over his shoulder was Bill Self and family getting a picture taken on the court. Just thought it was interesting that's all.

Robert Brock 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't expect that he will actually play for a couple of years but I am excited for him: he can spend his time thinking about investments and not worrying about the future.

FarSideHawk 10 months, 3 weeks ago

You guys heard the Brad Frederick (son of Bob) - Asst. Coach rumors? Sounds pretty interesting?

Chris Nieto 10 months, 3 weeks ago

A capable handle is one ofnthe easiest things to develop he'll be fine in that regard. Basketball is now his job and he'll be working on his game all the time with coaches or individually. The only question that remains is whether he'll turn it on and be assertive or get that alpha dog killer instinct all the time. I doubt he gets a killer instinct such as a Kobe, but he'll be more than serviceable and will be able to heat it up as he did at KU at the bare minimum

clevelandjayhawker 10 months, 3 weeks ago

This article just makes me wonder even more why did marcus smart come back for a year? I love Ben's game but I just worry about him not being a slasher or showing that he could beat his man one on one. In the motion offense he got some good looks and converted, plus Bill can draw an inbounds play that is 80% sure to end in a highlight dunk. The question is: Can Ben dribble enough to create his own shot? Im still not sure, and would prob rank Noel and Porter ahead of him. Smart could have easily been the #2 pick this year, but instead will be around #10 or lower next year.

Joe Joseph 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I think McLemore will have a long NBA career, but I'm not sure he has the assertiveness or the handle to develop into a star. I'd like to be wrong.

I do know this: I'd take him before Nerlens Noel...

jayhawkinATL 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's to hoping Withey stays in the first...news from the combine wasn't too flattering.

Fortesque Beagleton 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Is it possible that we could have the #1 draft pick two years in a row?

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I think that McLemore has the skills and the abilities to be a star in the NBA, but for some reason I have this lingering feeling that McLemore may be to immature or have too fragile a psychi to thrive in the NBA setting. I hope that is wrong and that he is able to overcome his youthful naivety. I'm also scared that he won't be as effective against bigger defenders in the NBA, but hopefully the elevation and quickness that he gets on his jump shot will make that a non-factor.

KemDooKU 10 months, 4 weeks ago

A man on top has no where to go but down-

Beau Woolsey 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Dwight was the magic Wasn't given the support of coaches or healthy players to show the he could have been the man for the lakers

Phil Leister 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I sorta understand the sentiment that you build franchises around bigs. But that only makes sense if your big is a Shaq. Even Dwight has shown himself to be incapable of being a franchise player. I'm just not sure how a GM could draft a big guy with knee problems that they know about from the outset.

JayHok 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Unless the Cleveland GM wakes up, Noel will go #1 in this draft. Sam Bowie over Jordan all over again. Oden over Durant. Bad knees on skinny overly athletic legs. Playing wreckless jumping over players to get a block works sometimes in college for a year or two. Not in the pros. Knees, knees, knees. When will the GMs learn. I know Kevin Pritchard wishes he had his draft pick back.

Scott MacWilliams 10 months, 4 weeks ago

It's all good, as far as I'm concerned. Go get 'em, Ben, we'll all be pulling for you no matter where you end up. It would be kind of cool to be playing for Jacque Vaughn, one of my all-time favorite Jayhawks.

Onward & Upward!!