Originally published May 20, 2013 at 04:44p.m., updated May 21, 2013 at 12:03a.m.

Memphis forward Tarik Black transfers to KU

Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will be transferring to Kansas University, the school announced Monday.

photo

Associated Press

Memphis forward Tarik Black dunks against Michigan State forward Adreian Payne (5) in the second half of a third-round game of the NCAA college basketball tournament Saturday, March 23, 2013, in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Kansas University’s 2013-14 basketball team, which is being billed as one of the youngest squads in school history, added experience Monday afternoon: University of Memphis transfer Tarik Black.

The 6-foot-9, 262-pound senior-to-be, who averaged 8.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while starting five games and coming off the bench in 27 contests last season, chose KU over Duke, Oregon, Ohio State and Georgetown. He’s taking advantage of an NCAA rule that allows players to switch schools their senior seasons and be immediately eligible, provided they have an undergraduate degree.

Black graduated in the field of organizational leadership earlier this month, thus will be eligible to play in games in 2013-14 — his one and only season at KU.

“We are thrilled he has chosen to play his final year of college basketball at KU,” said Kansas coach Bill Self, who has seven scholarship freshmen, three sophomores and two juniors on the roster, with Black the only scholarship senior. “He will be a huge addition both physically and emotionally, especially from a leadership standpoint, as he will be the most experienced guy on our team entering next season.”

Black hit 58.9 percent of his floor shots (103 of 175, second-best mark on team) last season while logging 20.8 minutes a game for Memphis (31-5). He hit 52 of 116 free throws for 44.8 percent.

“Tarik has played in a ton of big games and certainly has had a good experience at Memphis,” Self said of the Memphis Ridgeway High graduate who was ranked No. 54 in the Class of 2010 by Rivals.com.

“He’s used to winning and can help us in both of our big positions. He can play the four and the five (big forward and center), and we look forward to moving him around. He’ll be an impact player that certainly changes the outlook of our team and makes us more versatile.”

Black, who is a Memphis native, played against KU as a freshman. He scored eight points off 3-of-9 shooting (2-of-2 from the line) with four rebounds and four fouls in 21 minutes of the Tigers’ 81-68 loss to the Jayhawks in New York’s Madison Square Garden.

“Tarik had a very good experience at Memphis playing for Josh Pastner,” Self said of Black, whose best season at Memphis came in 2011-12, when he averaged 10.7 points off 68.9 percent shooting. “He was a great high school player under Wes Henning at Ridgeway, and I think his transition will be smooth.”

Black was named second-team All-Conference USA in 2012 and was also named to Conference USA’s all-defensive team. In 2011, Black was named to the league’s all-freshman team after he averaged 9.1 points and 5.0 rebounds. He is expected to be the leader of a young frontcourt that includes freshman 7-footer Joel Embiid, sophomore Perry Ellis, third-year sophomore Jamari Traylor and red-shirt freshman Landen Lucas. Another forward is senior-to-be Justin Wesley, who was on scholarship the past two seasons after arriving as a walk-on.

“Tarik is a very good player. I expect him to have a really good year with Kansas and coach Self. He gets to play for a Hall of Fame coach, and I wish him nothing but the best,” Pastner told the Journal-World on Monday in a phone interview.

Describing Black the player, Pastner said: “He is a banger, a big body. He seals you deep. He’s hard to get around.”

He said Black’s free-throw-shooting percentage wasn’t necessarily a huge problem.

“He hasn’t been a real good free-throw shooter here,” Pastner said, “but he’s made some free throws when he needed to.”

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Black lost his starting spot after an incident in which he walked out of practice. He never made his way back to that position.

Black had six points and two rebounds in the Tigers’ 70-48 loss to Michigan State in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

“It is critical that I find a program that offers me the greatest chance of taking what I have learned over the last three years to the highest level,” Black said when he announced his decision to leave. He did not comment on his decision to transfer Monday.

“Could I remain at Memphis and achieve the same? Quite possibly. But since as a graduate student I can play ball immediately next year, why not take advantage of this unique situation to gain a new perspective so that I can combine what I’ve learned at the U of M and what I will learn wherever I am next year in hopes of enhancing my versatility as a student-athlete?”

Black at the time said: “I do not consider this a farewell. It’s just a brief intermission until I come back home. I love my hometown and want you to know that wherever I go, my heart and soul will always be right here in Memphis.”

Tragedy in Oklahoma: Self, who was born and raised in Oklahoma, was saddened by the weather-related deaths of the past two days.

“Although excited (about signing Black), our enthusiasm is tempered by what is happening just south of Oklahoma City in Moore, Okla., with the devastation of the storms and all those families involved,” Self said. “We wish nothing but the very best for them and our thoughts are with them.”

Self said none of his family members in Oklahoma were affected by the tornadoes.

The class: The signing of Black to a financial aid agreement means KU’s 13 scholarships are filled for next season.

KU has a recruiting class of Black plus No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 guard from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, No. 12 Wayne Selden (G, 6-5, 205, Tilton (N.H.) School), No. 25 Embiid (C, 7-foot, 220, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla.), No. 29 Brannen Greene (F, 6-7, 200, Tift County High, Tifton, Ga.), No. 34 Conner Frankamp (G, 6-foot, 160, Wichita North) and No. 76 Frank Mason (G, 5-11, 180, Massanutten Military Academy, Petersburg, Va.). KU has also added former Arkansas center Hunter Mickelson, who will sit out next season then have two years of eligibility remaining.

Parade honorees: KU signees Wiggins, Greene and Frankamp were named to Parade Magazine’s All-America team. Ottawa’s Semi Ojeleye, who is headed to Duke, was named player of the year.

Comments

jayhawk012234 11 months ago

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO MIX PREVIEW OF NEXT YEARS JAYHAWKS INCLUDING RETURNEES, RECRUITS AND TARIK BLACK.. http://youtu.be/ivHkJvSm_bY ...ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

LaFriends 11 months, 1 week ago

1. Tharpe, Mason

2. Selden, Frankamp, AW3

3. Wiggins, Greene

4. Ellis, Traylor

5. Black, Embiid, Lucas

Wesley is new assistant coach.

I think the minutes work here. Frankamp can mix in at the 2 and the 1 a little. AW3 gets a bit of the shaft, but sees the writing on the wall for next year when Wiggy leaves. Embiid and Lucas both get some burn (Lucas actually plays which makes him optimistic compared to last year) and also see Black gone by next year.

All the top recruits have a place. All of them get a year of development --- AND especially a year of success. They all want to be a part of this -- THIS YEAR, and in years to come each with a bigger and bigger role.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

This is a nice problem to have. Think these guys have seen what a little patience has meant recently, as in last years seniors. Hope we don't loose anyone. Keep hearing people say Mason is so underrated still. Could be Frankamp and Greene red-shirting. Or many other combo's. Think whoever it is will accept a red-shirt here vs. sitting out a year for someone else. We need a good point guard backup more than a scorer. Have tons of scoring options next year. I still think Lucas will surprise many. Think this is the beginning of HCBS's best run yet the next 10 years. The future here is brighter than ever!!!

Kye Clark 11 months, 1 week ago

Stoked about this addition. Now, what are the big roster questions heading into next season?

1. Who backs up Tharpe? This is huge; I think the biggest question heading into next season. Is it Mason or Frankamp? Logic tells you Frankamp based on his high school pedigree, the U17 USA team experience & success, offensive firepower, etc. But the more I hear about Mason (and not just from Self, but also analysts/talking heads), it might be a close competition.

2. Greene vs. AW3. By most accounts, Wiggins & Selden man the wings next year. Who is next off the bench for those spots? Logic tells us the year in the system AW3 has gives him the edge. If this is true and Greene is forced into much the same role AW3 had last year, does Greene (who is a top #30 talent if you believe the Rivals rankings) patiently wait his turn?

3. Do the losers of those competitions accept red-shirts if offered?

4. How does the post situation shake out? Again by most accounts, Ellis & Embiid are locks for the primarily 3 man rotation. Black is the most likely candidate for the third in that rotation. So it's likely Traylor vs. Lucas for the role of 4th big, which by and large isn't a significant role. Both have used red-shirts so both burn a year of eligibility while garnering limited minutes.

5. Who is the most likely candidate to fill the Merv Lindsey/Milton Doyle/Royce Woolridge/Rio Adams role? The loser of the Frankamp-Mason competition? The loser of the AW3-Greene competition? The loser of the Traylor-Lucas competition? Personally, I hope all of them stay. But let's just guess at the likelihood of someone transferring due to displeasure over lack of playing time. I think either Mason or Greene are the most likely candidates. If Mason can't beat out Frankamp, he's probably looking at two years down the road (after Tharpe leaves) before seeing significant minutes, and there's not guarantees Self doesn't bring in someone else during those 2 years that further threaten Mason's PT. If Frankamp can't beat out Mason, he can still probably get some minutes due to his trey gun at the 2 once Wiggins (and possible Selden) leave after one year. Greene is the other possibility, but I think that's a mistake. Wait one year and he's at least backing up Selden & AW3 on the wings next year, and possibly starting if Selden is a OAD.

And these are just roster questions. The answers to those questions will help put together the rest of the puzzle as to how this all plays out on the court.

okiedave 11 months, 1 week ago

My OSU friends are more scared than Stupidmichael right now. 2nd place in the Big XII was not what Boone Pickens had envisioned for them.

milehighhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Starting five last year vs. starting five next year: Who wins if they were to play right now?

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

Wish we were playing Mizzu next year! (Did I really say that)

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

Now that the 2013-14 roster is set, it's time to think of next year!!

!] Gone - Wesley, Black, Wiggins [barring injury, 99.9% sure]

2] Added - AWIII [most likely a "13/'14 redshirt} & Mickelson [transfer year over].

3] Expected back but don't be shocked if not, Embiid and Selden.

4] Ellis - my guess, his last year,

5] Frankamp, Greene, Traylor, Mason and Lucas....all returning, bigger and better.

That will leave anywhere from 3 to 5 schollies available...LET THE POSTINGS BEGIN!!!!!!!

Justin Steele 11 months, 1 week ago

Does anyone know if we are in the running for Trevor Lacey?

ku_foaf 11 months, 1 week ago

Tarik sounds like a high quality guy all around. Glad he is at KU!

tis4tim 11 months, 1 week ago

Is this signing the "Wiggins Effect" already in play? Time will tell, but should AW have a great year, take us deep into the tournament and become the overall #1 pick in the NBA draft he could go down as one of the most important Jayhawks ever to don the uniform for reasons that go beyond his on-the-court ability.

Konkis Dongington III 11 months, 1 week ago

As thrilled as I am about our recruiting class this year, and it is definitely the best overall class that Self has put together for KU, let's stop getting carried away. This class, in terms of recruiting windfalls, isn't just behind UK. UK got a lot of the top 10 players and a lot of the top 20 players. It's historic. We have the best player and some very good 5 star guys to boot, as well as great 3 - 4 year guys and some key transfers. It's a big class and it should result in a team that's probably as good as or better than the Morris Hawks when Selby was playing and healthy (but by the end of the season). That said, I doubt this is even in the top 10 of all time recruiting classes ever. I just don't think we should get over-hyped. We've got a contender on our hands when a month ago we were looking at a potential rebuilder, but we're not going to be the favorite, even if all goes well. Right now I'd rank it 'ville, MSU, UK, KU, Duke, Zona... I can't think of a 7th and 8th right now. Maybe UNC and Michigan, but both those teams have some warts. Either way, it's going to be a great season. Just don't get too caught up in what looks good on paper until we see the real weaknesses of this team on the floor. In other words, if we beat Duke in Chicago, then it's time to go nuts.

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

One never WANTS to replace 4 starting seniors and a potential number 1 NBA draft pick from the prior season, but if you're going to...this is how you do it.

I've been outspoken on occasion about high-profile recruiting misses. But I'll be damned if Coach Self hasn't shut my big mouth. I acknowledge for myself individually as for the larger Jayhawk fanbase that our expectations are unrealistic every single year. But with Bill Self as coach and the heights to which he's taken the program, you'd almost be guilty of being unappreciative if you didn't reward the team with optimism.

Mike Bratisax 11 months, 1 week ago

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I just saw the headlines and I'm ecstatic. Best recruiting class at KU ever and just slightly behind UK's best ever class in the NCAA.

I just wish HCBS could recruit.

selfhimbill 11 months, 1 week ago

With teams like this, I wish the games lasted 60 minutes.

Colby Hebert 11 months, 1 week ago

FROSH 5: Mason, Selden, Greene, Wiggins, Embiid. (never would happen but I would be optimistic with that lineup by March. It would be like watching someone play NBA Jams).

SELF 5?: Tharpe, Wiggins, White III, Ellis, Embiid (maybe by conference season)

TALENT 5: Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden, Ellis, Embiid.

EXPERIENCED 5: Tharpe, Wiggins, White III, Ellis, Black

I would pay to watch practices of this team. Imagine, Tharpe, Wiggins, White III, Ellis, Black versus Mason, Selden, Greene, Traylor, Embiid, I mean, it is an absolute embarassment of riches.

702Hawk 11 months, 1 week ago

With Black and Lucas, I think there are going to be more people than just Justin who will be missing a tooth or two.

Colby Hebert 11 months, 1 week ago

Landing Tarik Black is HUGE. The 5 was our biggest question mark. All we had there was a redshirt freshman (Lucas) and a raw but highly talented freshman (Embiid)

For as far back as I remember we always had a 5 with experience, they subbed for a year or two behind someone else, then the baton was passed to them. We did not have that this year. Black is our stopgap. A senior, a big body banger with experience.

I do not know if we have ever had such a loaded team. The starting lineups and rotation next year is harder to predict than at any time since I have followed KU basketball.

Wiggins starts because he might have been the number 1 pick in the NBA draft had he been allowed to enter straight out of high school.

I have no idea what Self will do, but

1)Tharpe 2)Wiggins 3)White III 4)Ellis 5) Black

That is not so young of a team anymore. He has that option now. Then you add in the talent of Greene, Selden, Embiid....Unbelievable really. Barring recruiting, Mason will be the PG Tharpe passes the baton to, so it looks like Connor may have to redshirt?

We could field two teams that could challenge for the big 12 title with what we have. It is ridiculous.

Steve Gantz 11 months, 1 week ago

This is great. I just hope no one fouls him.

Ludwig Supraphonic 11 months, 1 week ago

Put Black on this year's team and we beat Michigan. Withey's legs are under him at the end, KY isn't in foul trouble, and the young Michigan Center has a hard time keeping his arms above his head. Role players are invaluable.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 11 months, 1 week ago

Holy crap.

This just got scary.

Got my vote for one of the best, if not the best, offseasons in the history of the most historic program in the country.

Rock Chalk.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

And just how good are the ranking systems anyway? What are they really based on? Playing defense? Teamwork? Where was Ben ranked? I like our team and personalities over anyone.

KansasComet 11 months, 1 week ago

Landen Lucas redshirted last year, it does not mean he was not good enough to play last year. It means he kept a year of eligibility and practiced with the team, did his weight training and attended class. He did what was in his best interest and the team's best interest. It remains to be seen who will get playing time, and unfortunately injuries happen. This team has a chance to play all out basketball, without the fear of fouls controlling a game. We have a chance to keep the kids fresh this year during games and have some pretty intense practice sessions.

I never worry about recruiting, Coach Self does a wonderful job with that. I just look forward to every year. I enjoy every win, and I get over the losses quickly. This will be another top 5 year for KU. If not, it really doesn't matter, because I am not going anywhere.

BucknellJayhawk3 11 months, 1 week ago

Just pure curiosity, but I wonder where Tarik would rank if he were thrown into the class of 2013 rankings. As a 22 year old with experience he would be worth more than his original ranlking- heck some of the top 25 don't even get to start or play much (Ellis wasn't very good until later in the season). I'd say (and not that it matters) that he would be up there in the top 25 prospects although his ceiling may not be as high.

duanep5ku 11 months, 1 week ago

Tarik Black welcome to Kansas.

Kevin Jenkins 11 months, 1 week ago

Wow, I wouldn't call Black a slacker. He did contributes a he will help out. Who else was out there? Bill has done well. We have all the parts to the puzzle. And a great coach to complete it. After the tournament, everyone second guessed our coach. Look again . I can't wait to see what Coach Bill has as our starting five. But it's not that important when our bench is full of talent

JayHok 11 months, 1 week ago

KU has two of the top players by position. UK has three. I think I'll take Embiid and Wiggins and mix in some experience with Ellis, Black, Trayler, Lucas as well as some coaching in an actual system run by Coach Self. UK fans are claiming bonus points at having Wiltjer as an experienced player. Cauley-Stein I'll give them. He's coming along. From KU's perspective I love that Wiggins will play the 2. When playing a big team, that leaves Selden, White, or Greene on the other side. Double-teaming Wiggins really should lead to a lot of easy baskets for KU.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm confused at some of the negative comments toward TB. A few things for you negative Nancy's to understand: all coaches have their own way of coaching and it doesn't work with every player which is possibly why Pastner didn't get the potential out of him, TB graduated in 3 years which shows his intelligence and dedication, TB is huge and will cause problems on the defensive end for anyone who opposes him regardless of their skill level, he has potential and Bill Self is the "potential" guru, we need senior leadership regardless how good he is, he will flat out make every big on our team better after they bump and grind with him in practice, and finally, and most importantly, Bill Self wanted him. I don't know about you guys but I trust Self. If he wants a guy, and gets him, I'm all for it. I mean, let's be honest, he's the one qualified to be the coach anyways, not us. So, please positive and realize next year we will be in for quite a treat! RCJH baby!!!

Konkis Dongington III 11 months, 1 week ago

The last note is on recruiting. Depending on how things shake out, I won't be at all surprised if we land no one of consequence in 2014. We all know Wigs is gone at the end of the season. If things go well (read KU NC 2014), we could see as many as 5 players going pro, with at least 2 lottery picks (Wigs and Embiid), and probably 2 more first rounders. But nothing's guaranteed, and we only have two schollies opening up for sure. If we end up getting back Selden (who I think is probably a TAD anyway) and Embiid, it'll be hard to draw another blue chip between them, Sr. Tharpe, White, Greene, Frankamp, Mason, and Ellis, plus production ready versions of Mickelson, Traylor, and Lucas. Really, I'm amazed that it happened this year. I thought Black was doable, but I really had 0 belief that Wigs would sign. Long and short, don't expect lightning to strike twice unless we cut down the nets. That said, we're doing well with a couple of Pgs in Jordan McLaughlin and Josh Perkins. Perkins could be a particularly good get because we're in his top 4 and the others are Colorado, Gonzaga, and New Mexico. As long as he understood not playing year one and being a backup year two, he'd be a great get for a 3-4 year guy. McLaughlin is a tougher get with more polish now, but less upside IMO. Other than that, there's footer Elbert Robinson. He's another guy that would have to come in expecting to develop, but in a class conspicuously lacking size, he'd be a great pickup. Lastly, the guy at the top of my covet list now is 2015 prep Cheick Diallo. He reminds me a lot of TRob with a bit better handles. Youtube him to see what I mean.

Steve Zimmerman 11 months, 1 week ago

WOW! Another one-n-done - Welcome to the family, mr. Black!!! You won't regret years from now. you'll be a part of great KU bball history forever!! Can someone post KUMB practice sessions videos please? I can't wait to see these bunches in action!!!!

Konkis Dongington III 11 months, 1 week ago

Anyone doubting the value of the addition of Black has rocks in their head. Black will definitely play ahead of Traylor and Lucas because Black is a proven commodity: worth roughly 8pts and 5 boards per game coming off the bench. I don't care where he was ranked out of high school nor whether or not he was a disappointment to Memphis fans. He's a Jayhawk now and we have different expectations.

Black doesn't have to carry this team. He doesn't have to challenge Ellis or Embiid for a starting role. He just has to come in, finish a couple plays, grab some boards, and most importantly, loosen some teeth when he sets screens. The may thing keeping him out games at Memphis was foul trouble, but at KU, with our post depth, he can foul out of every game as far as I'm concerned because he's not the star. He's not the hope. Our season won't hinge on whether or not he works out.

At this point, my big concern is keeping everyone happy. Mason is on early transfer alert simply because he's the lowest rated recruit we have coming in this class. A lot of those guys have transferred over the years, even when they were fairly talented (see Micah Downs). Landen Lucas and Traylor might seem like the next most logical guys from a talent/PT perspective, but actually I'd say they're the least likely. Either could have transferred instead of redshirting to get better. The guys I'm most concerned about are Greene and White. One of those two should be fine, but one guy's going to do a lot of sitting next year, and I'd bet it's Greene. We know Self wanted to play White more this season, and White's shown he can produce on O. He'll probably be ahead of Greene defensively, and if you follow twitter, you know he's been taking full advantage of Hudy all season. The kid is going to be beasty next year. Greene, on the other hand, won't have those advantages, plus he would have gone to UConn were it not for the urging of his father. I won't go so far as to say he's not a buy-in kind of guy, but I hope he understands if he doesn't see the floor very often this year. If he makes it, he'll be golden for 2015.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 11 months, 1 week ago

For those with a short memory and likely were among savaging Ty Taylor when he was a junior he proved them a bunch of numbskulls as a senior. Think we would have won the conference or played for the NC without his great improvement between his junior and senior years.?

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 11 months, 1 week ago

Since79 11 months, 1 week ago

I can't see Black playin significant minutes this season. Other might disagree but will he really beat out Ellis, Traylor, or Lucas who've been here a year already in our system? Or Embiid, who's the top center? I see him as extra muscle for Self to throw around, an insurance policy, just incase injuries happen.

gchawk 11 months, 1 week ago

"Tarik & Tank", close similarities in more ways than one. Welcome to the Jayhawk Nation, you'll never regret the move.

Ian Emerson 11 months, 1 week ago

I LOVE how people keep questioning whether Tharpe is a leader or not. Does anyone remember the OKST game? He has absolute Ice in his veins and proved it that game. He may have missed some incredibly tough shots the michigan game but make no mistake, Tharpe will be the perfect point guard for this team

GortHawker 11 months, 1 week ago

Gort says, Holy Solar System, WoW !

lawrenceloser 11 months, 1 week ago

Doesn't matter who starts as I can see Embid and Black getting equal minutes and as the case with any Freshman you don't know what player is going to show up. He gives us much needed added depth up front with game experience. Lucas has no game experience and might take him some time to adjust.

lawrenceloser 11 months, 1 week ago

Adding Black takes us from being a good team to a very good team. I can see a Final 4 appearance on the horizon. I hope Tarik can get in other players faces and make them mentally and physically tougher.

LaFriends 11 months, 1 week ago

Black.

Greene.

White.

No offense to HCBS, but I kinda miss Larry Brown.... ;)

Dale Kroening 11 months, 1 week ago

Black brings depth to the big man rotation as well as some bulk. I dont see him starting, but possibly being the first big off the bench. Some will not agree, but I think Embiid will be the starter at the 5. Yeah, yeah I know Self dont start freshman, but JoJo is the best big on the roster not named Perry Ellis and who is better ??? He held his own in the Jordan Classic and World games against the best competition. Any time that Tarik gets will be earned. Either way, looking forward to the season and arguably one of the most talented rosters in KU history.

William Blake 11 months, 1 week ago

Welcome, Tarik "The Enforcer" Black!

Lance Hobson 11 months, 1 week ago

Very exciting, but we'll see. They call it March Madness for a reason.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 1 week ago

I am surprised that members on this forum think that a backup player at Memphis will come to KU and be a starter. By all accounts Black's production diminished in his junior year from his sophomore year, and he also had some other issues that resulted in going from starter in the first 5 games to not starting the rest of the season, with a couple of game suspensions in between. He never lived up to the expectations and/or hype at Memphis.
As I see it, he will not start and will not have starter-like minutes; he will fill in until Lucas and Embiid are ready to go full time. Any more above and beyond will be a bonus.
I sure hope he proves me wrong.

Marc Frey 11 months, 1 week ago

I am not worried about Black. I believe there is a world's difference between the basketball cultures at Memphis and Kansas.

Preston Dwiggins 11 months, 1 week ago

I love when we not only get a recruit to help our needs, but we play defense not allowing other's to get him. It's a nice swing.

UKALLDay 11 months, 1 week ago

I have given Coach Self a hard time for his recruiting (or lack of) but now I have give him his props. This has been an awesome hall this year and KU should be top 3 the start the year. You guys that are saying Embiid will not start must not have watched the Jordan Classic or Nike Hoop Summit. That kid can play. The one thing I am curious about is how Self handles Wiggins knowing he is gone after this year. Jahlil Okafor said he would be watching how Coach Self developments Wiggins since he is wanting to be a OAD the following year. Selby and Henry could be a distant memory if Coach Self helps Wiggins be a star. The Champions Classic is going to be outstanding this year KU vs. Duke and UK vs. Michigan State wow! Congrats KU, you guys might have 2 or 3 OAD's if Selden and Embiid perfom.

texashawk10 11 months, 1 week ago

There is a reason he is leaving Memphis. If this is the kind of "leadership" skills he has, he should not be a captain. I'm glad he didn't publicly burn his bridges with Memphis on the way out the door, but this article gives me a lot of concern about what Tarik Black will actually bring to the table for KU. Will it be the all-conference player he was as a sophomore or the guy who walked out of a practice and skipped a game because he was frustrated as a junior.

Jeff Kilgore 11 months, 1 week ago

A lot has been made of Hudy's training, and it has helped make several of our players millionaires. There are exceptions to this thinking, and I think that both Embiid and Wiggins are those exceptions of players who might be able to put on five or 10 pounds, but not much more than that. After all, Kevin Durant can bench just 185, and Anthony Davis doesn't look strong enough to lift that. Can they ball?

JayhawkinNM 11 months, 1 week ago

YEA BABY!!!! KU 2013-14 National Champs I could taste it!

lurkerhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Just remember that the 05-06 season relied heavily on an incoming talented young roster too and they had to go through some growing pains. They were actually 3-4 after the first week of December, but they did manage to win the next 5 games going into conference play. Also, add to it that our non-con schedule is Self's toughest non-con yet. I just think the hype could be tempered a tad bit.

joeloveshawks 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm as excited as anyone but a bit surprised with the 08 comparisons. That was a battle tested team. This is not at all. I think the talent level is as good or better but that 08 squad was older and tougher. Who is the Chalmers of this team who is ready and willing to be the man? I suppose Wiggins. At any rate...Rock Chalk!!

Woody Cragg 11 months, 1 week ago

Likely nothing happening by the NCAA this year as would have effected Wiggins and Black. Now, go out & play some "extreme muscle ball." Im ready to pencil in another conf title AND another #1 seed...just thinkin'.

DDDHawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Welcome aboard, Tarik! Glad to have you join the Jayhawk family!

JayHok 11 months, 1 week ago

Throw in Tarik Black to the recruiting class. How does it stack up now against Calipari's class. Black a 6'9" 262 lb 22 year old muscle. Captain of the team his sophomore year. Also after watching the videos I don't see how Embiid isn't top 5. Kentucky is being heralded as the best ever. I'm not so sure after the addition of Tarik. Also just saw Wiggins, Greene & Frankcamp all made the Parade All American team. If an ESPN analyst could crunch the final recruiting battle between #1 and #2 I'd love to see the final outcome after Black. He's a OAD too, just a lot tougher that Calipari's 6'9" OADs. Would make a great summertime article of anybody knows the email of an ESPN writer.

JayHok 11 months, 1 week ago

Two pretty publicized recruiting battles within the last week. Self/Townsend/Roberts minutes ago beat Coach K head to head one one recruit. A few days ago they beat Calipari and Roy head to head on another.

kualldayeveryday 11 months, 1 week ago

With Black This team is truly shaping up to look some what similar to a very successful past KU team (hint hint : the one with the big shot):

07-08 Roster:

Bigs (C-PF):

Sasha Kaun 6-11 Cole Aldrich 6-11 Darrell Arthur 6-9 Darnell Jackson 6-9

Guards/SF: Brandon Rush 6-6 Mario Chalmers 6-1 Russell Robinson 6-1 Sherron Collins 5-11

13/14 Roster:

Bigs:

Joel Embiid 7-0 Landen Lucas 6-10 Tarik Black 6-9 Perry Ellis 6-8 Jamari Traylor 6-8

Guards/SF: Andrew Wiggins 6-8 Brannen Greene 6-6 Andrew White 6-6 Wayne Selden 6-5 Conner Frankamp 6-1 Naadir Tharpe 5-11

We are: 1) Deep as Heck... We can finally sub people out and not have any change or thought go through our heads saying "how are we going to score now?" 2) Fast as heck... Imagine Wiggins, ellis, tharpe and selden running a fast break... Imagine putting a full court press for 40 minutes.... imagine block city from embiid, traylor and wiggins... imagine the next Russell robinson 6'' taller (wiggins)... 3) Scoring machine team ... 3 shooters- Selden, wiggins, ellis, frankamp, white, greene... We actually can match up with Kentucky so well... my starting lineup and rotation....

Tharpe.... Selden.... Wiggins.... Ellis.... Embiid...

Backups to each position:

Frankamp... White... Greene...Traylor... Black/Lucas

KansasComet 11 months, 1 week ago

Enough talent on this team to sub five in/five out. Not Coach Self's style though, but the talent is there.

Hawk8086 11 months, 1 week ago

I also meant to comment on the fact that it once again demonstrates Self's ability to recruit. Duke needed a big guy pretty badly and evidently recruited him pretty hard!

Hawk8086 11 months, 1 week ago

This is perfect. We need experienced guys overall, especially up front. He's here one year while the younger guys get some experience and then a scholarship is freed up for the following year so we can keep the pipeline flowing.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

And all of this is great recruiting advertising.

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 1 week ago

This is looking a little bit like 08' roster...

Miguel Colón 11 months, 1 week ago

Man I will say this....MAN FC CALIMARI! I want to stomp him and his over hyped factory into the ground! I want Kensucky bad! I want to beat them 150-45!

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

Is it too early to discuss redshirts?

Greg Lux 11 months, 1 week ago

I guess this means recruiting is over. We have two teams of players that could give any big 12 team a run for the championship. A luxury any school would love. Now lets all pray we have a healthy fun season that will be fruitful on the championship level. I would bet with our current list of players we will do better with the national tv coverage. I hope the networks bring there high speed replay equipment, because they are going to need it badly with the speed of our upcoming teem. Is it August yet??? I can't wait for Show Time ( aka tipoff ).

Rock Chalk

James Naismith 11 months, 1 week ago

Good enough for me.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

"We received Tarik’s financial aid papers earlier today and we are thrilled he has chosen to play his final year of college basketball at KU,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He will be a huge addition both physically and emotionally, especially from a leadership standpoint, as he will be the most experienced guy on our team entering next season."

iamakufan 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm still hearing that he denied the report and has not committed anywhere yet. Other reports say he has. So, has he committed to KU or not?

Boouk 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm not sure a 52% free throw shooter is an upgrade over Traylor and Lucas. Hopefully that improves and he brings some leadership to the table as well.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

Bruce Weber just SH*t his pants again! What was he thinking?

Pitthawk34 11 months, 1 week ago

Think Sasha, just a little shorter..more stout...with a bigger bark. This team is being constructed to go head to head with Kensucky..but stronger. Look out Okie lite..we will never go quietly into that good night.

VailHawk 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm cautiously optimistic. How did he go from 2nd team all conference (USA) to only starting five games?

Ken Sedgwick 11 months, 1 week ago

TB gotta new house! Welcome Mr Black, pumped to have you join the Jay hawk nation.

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

I think whoever makes up the 2nd string would be ranked by conference play. I would pay to watch the practices...

Gil Ek 11 months, 1 week ago

I say Hudy works him diwn to 245. Think we have a great group of teamates vs, UK all-star team of individuals going after a high draft pick.

dylans 11 months, 1 week ago

A bruiser down low to show Lucas how to bang. A compliment to Ellis. Someone to take the abuse for Embiid. This is a nice complimentary player and he doesn't negatively impact 2014 recruiting. I hope it all comes together on the court the way it does in my mind.

jakejayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Wow, just wow. All year we hear -- rightfully so -- about Kentucky's historical class. And it is true that Kentucky has an amazing class. But who would have ever imagined that WE would end up with a class that rivals the Wildcats? I don't expect Kentucky fans to agree with my analysis but this is unbelievable. Who could have imagined that we would be sitting here looking at the players we now have? Kentucky may still be number one, but we have to be getting close to 1-A.

Chris Shaw 11 months, 1 week ago

Days like this is the reason I have my name.

KUnycKU 11 months, 1 week ago

Can he play next year or will he have to sit out?

Dirtyphog 11 months, 1 week ago

Welcome to the Jayhawk family! Best choice you could've made for your final year in college. From what I've "heard" it was leaked that he picked KU, and hadn't told the other schools and wanted to tell them before, and if thats the case, I like this kid even more..

mandomax 11 months, 1 week ago

big, man-body down low, and won't count towards our '14-15' schollies? heck yes. Mickelson is gonna have a fun time guarding Black and Embiid in practice all year :)

JayDocMD 11 months, 1 week ago

It's confirmed. He's a Jayhawk.

gchawk 11 months, 1 week ago

"The rumors of my impending transfer have been greatly exaggerated": TB

odc213 11 months, 1 week ago

no so fast, Jeff Goodman at CBS might have jumped the starter pistol. Source from Jeff?

rockbrooklynchalk 11 months, 1 week ago

with the addition of black, starting lineup is all but set for next year:

Tharpe Selden Wiggins Ellis Black

Ralster Jayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

There we go. Izzo-style bigman. Welcome, Tarik Black!