Friday, May 17, 2013

NBA teams size up McLemore, Withey at combine

Kansas guard Ben McLemore extends all his limbs as he defends against an inbound pass from Ohio State forward Sam Thompson during the first half on Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012 at Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio.

DraftExpress.com says Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel will be taken No. 1 overall and Kansas University’s Ben McLemore No. 2 in the 2013 NBA Draft.

NBAdraft.net flip-flops, going with shooting guard McLemore at No. 1 and power forward/center Noel No. 2.

Is the order of any consequence to McLemore?

You bet.

“I think it’d be important to me, being the No. 1 draft pick and that a shooting guard hasn’t been a No. 1 pick for a while, for years,” McLemore told NBA.com before Thursday’s NBA combine in Chicago. “It’d be very important to me to make history. It would be great to be No. 1, being able to help my family out.”

McLemore said he was aware no shooting guard has been taken No. 1 overall since David Thompson in 1975.

“I actually looked that up and did some research on that and saw that,” McLemore said. “I realized I can make history again, so I’ve just been working hard each and every day. You have to have the mind-set to go get something that you want. I have the mind-set if I want to be the No. 1 pick, I’ve got to work for it. I know it’s head-to-head with Nerlens and me, and we both have to work for that spot.”

McLemore, who was listed at 6-foot-5 with shoes at KU, checked in at 6-43⁄4 with shoes and a 6-73⁄4 wingspan (according to ESPN’s Chad Ford) in Chicago. Noel measured 6-111⁄2 with shoes, with a 7-51⁄2 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach.

The overall No. 1 pick will receive $4,436,900 the first year; $4,636,600 the second and $4,836,300 the third. The No. 2 pick will net $3,969,800 the first year, $4,148,500 the second and $4,327,100 the third.

“It’s just a blessing to know I’m going to be able to take care of my family,” McLemore said.

He was asked how special a player he can be. “Pretty special. I think I can impact a lot in the NBA, especially with my jumping and athleticism, just being a humble person and going out there playing the game I love,” he said.

McLemore didn’t dispute comparisons to NBA veteran Ray Allen.

“Especially with shooting ability. I don’t know about the athleticism anymore,” he said with a smile. “I compare myself with him a lot — getting myself open, coming off screens. I think it’s a great comparison, me and Ray Allen.”

McLemore, who is not competing in drills at the combine per his status as a potential No. 1 pick, said he will hold one to three individual workouts for teams. Top-five picks generally have little to gain and potentially a lot to lose if flaws are found during drills.

“I don’t know. Either one to three teams is the most I’ll be working out for,” he said. “I’m waiting on the process.”

Withey in Chicago: Former KU center Jeff Withey, who is regarded as a first-round pick, did work out at the combine.

“It’s similar to games at LeBron (James camp),” Withey told hoopsworld.com. “I’m used to being around top names. We play against a lot of great players in the Big 12. I know a lot of these guys from camps and stuff.

“Human nature you are looking to your left and see a guy hit a shot, you want to match that,” Withey added. “If you don’t you kind of get down on yourself. But I am not too worried about everyone else. I’m trying to focus on myself and get better. If I miss a shot I know I’m going to make the next one. It’s the mentality I have.”

Mean tweets: Future KU guard Andrew Wiggins was amazed at the negative tweets he received on Twitter following Tuesday’s announcement that he’d chosen KU over Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. Some fans of the losing schools wished ill upon the Huntingon (W. Va.) Prep senior. One fan hoped he’d tear both his ACLs. Another wanted to break Wiggins’ neck. Some others attacked him with racial slurs.

“Wow, this is bad,” Wiggins told Huntington Herald-Dispatch reporter Grant Traylor as he scrolled through the tweets 15 minutes after his signing ceremony.

Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford didn’t like what he read.

“Social media has made recruiting kind of a disaster, honestly,” Fulford told Traylor. “There are so many people who have access to those (players) that they normally wouldn’t. It’s really dangerous.”

Vitale gala, graduation: KU coach Bill Self has a busy weekend ahead. He, former Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun, will be honored at tonight’s Dick Vitale Gala at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, Florida. The Gala is a fundraiser for cancer research. Self on Sunday will watch six Jayhawks graduate. They are: his daughter, Lauren, plus current seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young as well as former KU center Cole Aldrich, an NBA free agent who finished last season with the Sacramento Kings.

Comments

Kevin Studer 1 year, 6 months ago

No kidding. I don't recall ever reading anything and saying "thank God Twitter was available!"

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

At the risk of injecting non-sports information, I was glad to see tweets get out about unrest in some of the Middle Eastern and other countries where the government cracked down on the Internet. Tweets were still able to get out and spread news.

I agree 99% of what is on Twitter is crap, but I'll still make use of it. No, I don't tweet or have an account - just wade through and pick out gems.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

You haven't heard of how twitter is used in Mexico? When violence breaks out people use twitter to warn their friends and families. The cartels are out of control, but believe it or not twitter has saved lives.

That being said I've never and will never tweet.

JayDocMD 1 year, 6 months ago

and that new-fangled internets... they should do away with that too!

jayhawkbenny27 1 year, 6 months ago

Whoa I love the wheel!!! I mean who doesn't love a wangburger?...

Andrew Cox 1 year, 6 months ago

Hawk8086 1 year, 6 months ago

Man it would be great to play UK in the tournament and have AW lead us to victory.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

In my inner city school it's used to get students to come to a disclosed location and fight, or to come and watch a fight. During school. One teacher took his class to film the fight, I should say 'former teacher'.

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

Strangers on the internet with no consequences to rude comments... I'd always advise against letting them contact you.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

A half million per year difference between 1 and 2, wow. Just wow.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm sad to see McLemore not play for us anymore, but very happy for him that he will be one of the top picks in the draft and that he can now help his family financially. Self said Ben's attitude was great and handled things like a trooper when the NCAA informed him he had to sit out 2011-12. I'm so impressed by him and very happy for him. Great kid.

As for the negative tweets towards Wiggins.......the torn ACL wishes came from Kentucky fans. Apparently, the Harrison Twins at UK had some mean things to say as well. I've heard those guys are toxic. Hopefully other recruits will see that and see how classless UK fans are and it will place a dark cloud on UK's recruiting future.

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

yea, it's interesting. I have followed our board moderately during this decision period and the worst anyone had to say was about whether another OAD would have negative effects on the team or not. But nearly everyone felt as I had, that Wiggins could land at any of the 4 schools and it would not be a big surprise, and that wherever he landed we'd be excited with our team going forward anyway. Saying that you hope he tears his ACLs because he decided to play somewhere else is just crazy. Did anyone on this board say anything even remotely insane like that about Randle? It's just sad...Welcome Andrew, and lets all have a fun season-

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

meh - it's Kentucky. They're probably sucking on some sour moonshine.

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Kansas has seen lots of players we recruited go elsewhere, but I have never seen an acrimonious slur be uttered by a single Kansas fan on par with the ridiculous statements coming out of Kentucky. Just proves Andrew made a good choice. Wildcats are sore losers!

Michael Auchard 1 year, 6 months ago

Those comments were about as bad as the EJ death threats after that ISU win this year.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

All 4 seniors graduating, AWESOME!!! Congratulation to all of our seniors and to the program staff that made sure they did. I am sure Coach Self is a proud dad having his daughter and his "adopted" kids graduate. Special congratulation to Cole, he has finally achieved one of the goals he had when he came to KU; I am sure his family is as proud of him as his extended Jayhawk family. Hopefully he will join a team where he has a chance to get meaningful playing time and have a great professional career. At KU the words "graduating senior" are the norm; at UK, on the other hand, the same words are considered an oxymoron.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know if "graduating senior" are an oxymoron at Kentucky, since neither of those words are ever uttered at all. :)

jayhawker97 1 year, 6 months ago

i'd be surprised if Noel ends up to be #1. he's still got to develop plenty of muscle to become a top center pick in the NBA. as for Ben, it's a no brainer, he'll be contributing in points right away. i wish Ben all the best in the NBA! stay hungry, bro!! wouldn't it be super awesome to watch BMac + Wiggins play together this coming season?

btw, dear coach Townsend, have you attended one of Marcus LoVett Jr's games? what do you think?

lurkerhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

What if BMac stayed and what if Randle chose KU? I realize that the contingency of Wiggins picking KU changes. But just think... Jiminy Crickets... would we be loaded!!

Greg Lux 1 year, 6 months ago

Jiminy Crickets we ARE loaded !!! ... Best total reload in KU history. Is it September yet?

Rock Chalk

Ted Hume 1 year, 6 months ago

One surprise for me: Noel is just shy of 7'0 in shoes with almost a 7'6 wingspan? wow- I thought he'd be closer to 6'10 laced up; didn't view him as a virtual 'footer. Coin toss on the #1 pick possibly,depending on greater need for whomever lands the top pick, but most would bank on Noel based on that size with his motor & athleticism, I think. But it will be awesome if Ben goes 1.

Stephan123 1 year, 6 months ago

Kentucky fanatics twitting on the McLemore's decision have exhibited comparable, discombobulated babble found in other regions where generations of inbreeding has left debilitating, genetic scars (e.g., Missouri).

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 6 months ago

I really don't see how comment's like this are any different than the "tweets" mentioned in the article today. I'm certain that I'm going to get shelled about my comment, I don't care.

Peoples attitudes about KU are often tempered by our claim to class and tradition and statements like yours Stephan. They don't mix, being an "elite" program with a rich tradition and history does not give us a pass on treating everyone around us like a sub-species. I have mentioned this before and the response has been that "trash talk" is part of the game. I am well aware of my ability to say STUPID things, I'm working on it. ( Stopping it, not being more creative in my stupidity).

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, 4 thumbs up on Stephan123's comment and only 1 (me) on your comment.

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

Well... as I know from genealogy research ...reality is often that families moved from to KY to Missouri, and then to Kansas after the Civil War. If your family has been in KS a long time, your ancestors probably have ties to both states. So sometimes our bashing people in those states based on past history, we are bashing our own families.

As far as marrying cousins, this was a common thing up until around 1900, when marrying first cousins became illegal. Marriages between second cousins were common, not just in Appalachia, either.

Sorry to put a damper on the trash talkin', but maybe we just need to call them dumb ***es and leave the past out of it!

thmdmph 1 year, 6 months ago

So you're saying they're Neanderthals and we're the evolved civilization. I get it.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

Congrats to all the graduating Jayhawks, and thanks for the memories. I still like watching Elijah Johnson's 39 against ISU, definitely one of this year's highlights. Andrew Wiggins, have fun young man living your dream. Don't waste your time thinking about those that are only upset because you didn't pick their school. You made the right choice, because it was your choice!

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

Ben is one of my favorite Jayhawks of all time. He is just such a sweet kid. I really, really , really hope that he chooses his circle more wisely from here on out. Oh, and he's going to be the #1 pick. When it comes down to it, Noel's ACL injury will have GMs scared.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Oden still went #1 with a blown out ACL. GMs love footers, but the dirge of good wing players may allow BMac to go #1.

Keith Kienzle 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope my wife can handle me talking about the upcoming season all summer.

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

You guys are married?

Just kidding but that joke had to be made.

Timmay97 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone have any website suggestions on buying KU gear? I know about KUStore.com, but the prices are ludacris. I live in NJ.......suffice to say they don't have KU gear in stores out here. Hell, they don't even have Rutgers gear. :-)

Def need to update the wardrobe and get the kiddos and wife some stuff. Thanks!

I'm stoked for the upcoming year! Thinking about a trip to the Bahamas (I wish).

1 year, 6 months ago

You might try Rally House. I think they bought out Kansas Sampler a few years ago.

You'll need as many discounts as you can get if you're thinking about saving up for Battle 4 Atlantis in November ;)

Timmay97 1 year, 6 months ago

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

And Battle 4 Atlantis is simply a dream.....not reality. Unless I win Powerball tonight and then you are ALL invited! :-)

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I would tell Andrew Wiggins when he reads terrible comments like that to be thankful he didn't go to one of those schools, especially Kentucky. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to go to Kentucky. I don't care what kind of tradition they have. They have a very seedy past reputation. Unfortunately, I have to live up the road 60 miles from Lexington. I'd give anything to be back in Kansas.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, what is the appeal in Lexington - I don't know why Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Nick Collison, Cole Aldrich (Yes - 2 former KU players), and 11+ former UK players (Wall, Cousins, Prince, Bledsoe, Rondo, Bogans, Knight, etc.) who are in the NBA all go to Lexington to workout and play pickup games during the NBA lockout two years ago. Explains why Lexington is the basketball capital of the world!

TheFan 1 year, 6 months ago

The Thunder also worked out in Austin before going to Lexington. http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/09/28/td-preps-with-thunder-players-during-austin-workouts/

”First thing I hear when I get off plane in Lexington is “Go Hawks” I feel like I’m still in Larry. #RCJH” - Cole Aldrich,

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Various players worked out at different locations throughout the country during the lockout. It means nothing about anything. Bill Self has an open policy that allows former KU players to workout in Lawrence. He doesn't have to pimp the Phog with non-KU celebrity.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm sure OKC was coming to Lawrence next, but they probably just settled the strike! Can you imagine Lebron James showing up in Lawrence - you would never hear the end of it!

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

I always worry about knee injuries and would never wish them on anyone. The fact that Noel has a knee issue and he is a big man typically doesn't bode well. I almost think that ESPN has made Noel's story one that helped him extremely well. Although I don't follow the draftexpress and other draft specials. I really hadn't heard his name mentioned as the top of the top. Although my understanding was that he was probably in that 3-7 range. After the injury everyone commented how bad this was and that he would be in the 15-27 range. Than UK played horrible without him (however, I would argue they weren't a great team with and without him this past year). And now he has shot up to either 1-2. I always think it depends on which teams win the lottery and some need is based in there; however, ESPN has carried him. I even was listening to Mike & Mike the other morning and they were referring to him as the future #1 pick in the nba draft. Only until the end they referenced draftexpress or another drafting site.

I hope that McLemore is the #1 pick (of course I am biased).

Hawk8086 1 year, 6 months ago

I simply don't understand what would possess people to tweet such things to another person because they picked another school. What kind of people do this? I don't get it. How about.......thanks for considering us........good luck at the other school? I guess that is asking too much. I also can't think of anything that a rival coach would do that would make me think of coming down on the court and confronting him.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

Look, Calipari still got Noel drafted at #1. He must be a heck of a developer. I mean, Cal is the reason Rose, Evans, Anthony Davis, et. al were all top draft picks, right?

Doesn't Nerlens still being drafted #1 debunk the "I gotta go get my millions now in case I injure my leg coming back to school"???????????????????????? The kid about ripped his lower leg off, and he's still projected as #1 based on talent alone. And that crazy ass wingspan.

Steven Mathew 1 year, 6 months ago

Honestly, I would've believed that Rose, Davis, Wall, and Noel would all have been the top draft pick had they gone straight out of high school, meaning Calipari had nothing to do with their talent.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Blown sarcasm font was accidentally turned off. Pretty thick, but not evident to all.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

Man, that could have been our schools fanbase they are writing about if Wiggins didn't select us. Actually, I think most of us probably had our expectations tempered more than the other three schools based on our run of 'bad luck' for top recruits who hold out until the last minute.

It is crazy how just a few voices out of millions of fans can make an entire program look bad.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Realistically, Noel's MORE likely to be No. 1. But A LOT also depends on who gets that No. 1 pick.

I.e., Orlando (w/ Gl. Davis & Vucevic) & Detroit (w/ Monroe & Drummond) for example wouldn't have the need as much for inside help as a SG and WOULD be likely to take Ben No. 1....maybe Charlotte as well.

But a lot of the other clubs would take Nerlens 1st.

Hawk8086 1 year, 6 months ago

Good point. A team's needs do come into play. Sometimes it backfires. Like Detroit passing on Melo and DWade because they had more use for a big man and took Darko. Wow!

Colby Hebert 1 year, 6 months ago

Only having 2 rounds, I would take the most talented player available over picking a need in the NBA draft.

The NFL draft with 7 rounds is a bit different. Some teams stockpile picks as well and can draft the best player available and also what they need.

ittyandpace 1 year, 6 months ago

Same hope for me. . My wife only gets into during the season.

ittyandpace 1 year, 6 months ago

Oops, last post was for approx.

Totally off subject here: I live in the land of “now we know why you won’t play us” (Wichita). Just because it rained last week doesn’t make Kansas a rainforest. I have two colors in my wardrobe . . .blue . . and . . . KU blue. I will be in the St.Louis (Florissant)area for a week in June. Sometime during that week I will be needing a Jayhawk fix. Does anyone know of any “tailgating” that goes on during the off-season in the St.Louis area? I would love to sit and shoot the breeze with some of the Jayhawk Nation to lessen the funk of a not so impressive ending to the season. (and prevent that black and gold Columbia plague from sticking to me)

Colby Hebert 1 year, 6 months ago

I used to live in St Louis and I did not find many KU fans, heck not even Missouri fans, or any college basketball fans in general. it is really a baseball town, with some football fans and then a smaller but passionate hockey fanbase.

I do suggest going to the Schlafly Taproom, a microbrewery/restaurant downtown.

dstnku34 1 year, 6 months ago

Sports Zone, 113 Kenrick Plaza, Shrewsbury, MO | Contact: Danny Lewis, dlewis@kualumni.org

jakejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Check out the KU Alumni club in St. Louis. I travel there on business and have joined them for some games. Not large numbers but good folks. You can find all clubs on kuathletics.com. I have enjoyed watching games with groups in St. Louis, Washington DC, Chicago, Wichita, and Denver.

ittyandpace 1 year, 6 months ago

That is the best idea I have heard all day.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Twitter is sad. Wiggins should get his account changed. I was afraid that crap was going to happen. Most would never take a kid's choice that personal and make ridiculous comments. They are all cowards that have nothing better to do, but harrass a young kid. But, he better get used to it. Unfortunately, he's going to get this and worse as his career progresses.

Rock Chalk Andrew and keep your spirits high. These well-wishers aren't worth your time. Enjoy your time with family and friends in Canada. Get ready to enjoy your college experience at a program started by a fellow Canadian, Dr James Naismith and continue his tradition. You're a great kid and many respect you for how you handled your entire process. Like you said, it's time to "do your thing." Bill Self is honored and ready for the challenge to have your talents.

KemDooKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Sad that some Kentucky fans decided to take the scum road and not suck it up like a Man - I am sure it's just a select few and not the majority. I think that UK now feels entitled to get the top players and when they don't the reaction can be fierce- I think most KU fans did not expect Wiggins to sign ( i didnt) with us so KU reaction would have been "OH Well". - but that changed after he said going to KU........ So our reaction changed to: Absolute Joy and Happiness so enjoy the KU finger ........and sit and spin UK fans.

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

Remember before Twitter, when idiots kept thier opinions to themselves?

JayDocMD 1 year, 6 months ago

apparently you've never listened to sports/talk radio...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Mind-boggling as it seems, don't the nimrod Kentucky fans realize that any racial slur hurled at Andrew is secondarily hurled at everyone on their own team??

I had a Kentucky friend, and let me emphasize the word "HAD", who I was talking to about UK vs KU basketball. I asked him how difficult it was not to have continuity with the players being all OADs.

His response ended our relationship. He said simply, " Aw, I don't worry about it...Coach Cal will just bring in another new set on monkees!!"

He said it with such casual nonchalance that I knew I was done with this butthead forever. I am afraid that this attitude is not uncommon in Lexington!!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

Do we know all of the hateful tweets were from Kentucky fans? I'm not sure they were identified as such, but I might be wrong. Of course, they probably are, my impression of UK fans was generally not very good.

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I especially like your remark "They dont smell the flowers along the way. If they dont win a NC, their season is a failure."

I try to enjoy the whole season, not just March.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

I could give a rats a$$ about conference championships - means nothing especially from a blue blood school. The National Championship is about being the best in the country, not the best in a conference. The Big12 is the only major conference who has only 1 team win a NC. Nobody (other than KU) remembers conference titles, only NCs!

Kurt Eskilson 1 year, 6 months ago

No, it's NIT titles that no one remembers. NIT total failures, however …

VancouverHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, I could care less about whether we lose in the first round of the NIT. Doesn't matter whether that happens or whether one wins 30 games and a conference title and goes to the NCAA tourney. Because its national championship or bust.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

2012 you know better. The national championship is not often won by the best team in the country. Who puts together the best 6 games at the right time vs the right opponents ends up being the national champion.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

But that is in every sport that has some sort of playoff to determine the NC - you play the games. I'm concerned on improving and peaking at tournament time even if it means sacraficing during the regular season. It's all about the National Championship!

TommieSmithElbow 1 year, 6 months ago

I think I heard Bill say this in the Doug Gottlieb interview the other day, but regardless where, he said that 27 of 28 seniors had graduated in his time at KU. Anyone know who was the exception? Just wondering.

Eric Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

If Noel gets picked #1 it will be BECAUSE of his injury, not IN SPITE of his injury. He was looking more promising leading up to the incident, but I still don't think he was #1 draft pick impressive. That injury got all the NBA front offices' imaginations going wild, thinking about possibility.

I think this will be a classic repeat of the 2007 draft, where Oden was drafted #1 and Durant #2. Noel's going to be #1 and McLemore #2, but it's McLemore that's going to be the perennial all star.

El Jay 1 year, 6 months ago

If you wish injury on any player for any reason you are a total scumbag. Im not even sure what else to say. Id like to think that KU fans would never go as far as to wish injury on a guy or throw racial slurs at him just b/c he didnt pick us. I know people get upset and say stuff like "big mistake", which is fine I suppose, but this other stuff just goes way too far and gives you some insight into the lack of intelligence and class of the fan bases of those other schools. I cant help but think (and I havent looked at the feed so I dont know) that a large portion of those comments came from the back-asswards state of Kentucky. Its a terrible school academically and most UK fans never went to college anyhow. Hopefully this just proved to Wiggy that he made the right choice. He's gonna be a Jayhawk for life and thats something he's always going to be able to take pride in - not just due to on-court accomplishments, but because of what the Jayhawk family is like off the court as well. Oh well, haters motivate. The best revenge is winning a National Championship! Rock Chalk Jayhawk baby!!!

Dale Stringer 1 year, 6 months ago

Haven't been to a football game in a while. Do the students still yell about breaking the guy's #@*&()# neck on kickoffs? That was an embarrassment.

El Jay 1 year, 6 months ago

On a separate note, Im not fan of the 'Jayhawk Nation' moniker, I prefer the Jayhawk Family. Im probably alone on this but Jayhawk Nation just sounds too much like were ripping off BBN, which I know we arent. Also, after Thomas' troubles and the whole FOE thing became huge at KU, Jayhawk Family just seemed to be a better description of our fan base. Id rather be part of a family than a nation. I think it sends a different and better message to recruits - you can join a nation of racist idiots or you can become part of our family. I dont know. Am I totally off my rocker here?

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

It's sad that people can't wish a young man well in his future even though he chose a school other than their own favorite. It's times like this that show what class, or lack of class, the fans of certain schools have. I don't recall KU fans acting like that when Jabari Parker and Julius Randle chose other schools.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

As for which will be chosen first, McLemore or Noel, I think it depends entirely on what the lottery winning school needs and/or what deals they have made with other schools who need/want one of those players.

Timothy Rake 1 year, 6 months ago

1 pick depends on team needs? Yea! And out here in Oregon, the Trailblazers have filled some real needs with those #1 picks: Sam Bowie, Greg Oden... REAL trailblazers into oblivion. Chicago and OKC took 'em to the bank!

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

It's because his post started with a numeral.

It's a glitch in the site that if your post starts with a number instead of a letter, it automatically posts in the headline font.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

1 this is only a test.

if it were a real post, you would be notified to turn to a specific civil defense radio frequency.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Right. Should've specified that. The glitch is only for "original" posts. Not replies.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for the explanation. I was somewhat abashed yesterday when my post appeared in bold print. Even tried to edit it, to no avail.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

It's because it started with a #. He probably said #1, it switched the # to the big font, and drops it. So it looks like it starts with a number, but it is because it drops the # sign.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

1 it works for replies as well. I started with #1.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

There is no doubt in my mind that I would pick Ben Mac over Noels.

Always go with the guy who is already fabulous, not the guy who might be.

Always go with the guy who is the most dominant at his own position. Ben Mac is way more dominant at his shooting guard position than Noels is at his center position. And this will be especially the case in the NBA. Not knocking Noels. Just saying Ben is better at his position than Nerlen is at his. When a Wilt Chamberlain, or a Bill Russell come along, you take them. When a Sam Bowie, or a Greg Oden, come along, you only take them if there is not a player at another position that is more dominant at that other position. There usually is.

Its not all about match-ups.

ITS ALL ABOUT MATCH-UP ADVANTAGE!!!!!

NBA teams that keep drafting and finally acheive maximum match-up advantage at three of five positions invariably wind up in the play offs and contesting for championships.

Next.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

I think a lot of us have an inferiority complex involving Kentucky. We sure like to write about them!

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

It is more about uk trolls seeking relevance.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I suffer a superiority complex toward UK.

We are the DADDY.

They are the troubled child.

Period.

Next.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe that last line is the reason Dragon.

El Jay 1 year, 6 months ago

I dont think thats it at all. Lets be honest here, there is a great rivalry brewing between Bill Self and Cal and I think thats a big part of it. Also, and just speaking for myself here, I have a ton of respect for Kentucky and the program. Im a fan of the game so how could I not. That said, I cant stand Cal and that goes back to his days at Memphis even before we played them in the NC. I just think he represents most of whats wrong with college athletics right now. But like I said, I think its just more that there is a coaching and recruiting rivalry brewing between Self and Cal. to be honest, I like it. When we look back 30-40 years from now, I have a feeling were going to look at this whole era as a struggle for supremacy between the two men and the schools they coach.

Chris Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

A few thoughts...

Crazy awesome that Cole has finished his KU degree and will get to hang his Jayhawk diploma on the wall among his other accolades.

Super happy for Ben, not your typical OAD player by any stretch. I don't think he came here fully intending to be a OAD, he took the NCAA ruling like a champ last year and worked hard to be a star this year. Given his family situation, as much as we'd all love to see him in a Kansas uniform next season, I think every KU fan should support his decision to do what is best for himself and his family. Unlike a lot of OAD's who, I think, just use their one-year school as a means to millions and never look back, I think Ben will always be proud of his two years in Lawrence and will likely return often.

UK fans never miss an opportunity to prove that they are the worst fans in college basketball. You'd like to think that would impact their recruiting, but Cal's pitch is probably strong enough to overcome most any negative when speaking to a player whose primary focus is on the riches of the NBA. I don't want to issue a blanket judgement here, but my feeling is that any recruit that signs with Cal is really not interested in education, being part of a true basketball family/dynasty, genuine teamwork and the college experience. We love our KU players and they receive great treatment, but it's nothing like the accommodations that UK lays out for their players.

Speaking of, have you seen the new UK basketball housing they put these players in? Apartment style dorms full of big screen TV's, expensive recliners, genuine memorabilia embedded in walls including all eight of their actual championship trophies (not replicas!), state of the art rec room and dining room with a full time professional chef, touch screen digital itinerary monitors in most rooms, a giant pool table and players lounge. It is all legal according to the NCAA as well, which requires only that at least 50% of the residents of any such facility be traditional non-student athletes. So the $7 million dollar facility is designed for the 15 or so members of the basketball team, and another insanely lucky 15 or so regular students who applied. So they could build every basketball player a mini-mansion to live in if they want to, as long as they build an equal number for regular students. You can imagine how much of a recruiting advantage this is! (Side note: Only UK basketball players get this treatment, their other student athletes get to live in the dorms, football included)

Here is Cal offering a video walk-through of their facility:

jgkojak 1 year, 6 months ago

I find that creepy - overkill - I don't want to be surrounded by all that - I think its probably healthier to have the dorm be a place I can get away from it for a little while.

Looks like it could just as easily be a min sec prison.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Where are the bars on the windows? :-)

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

Jaybate they don't get those til they 'gradiate' after one year.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a uk booster outhouse. They discovered plumbing. That would be a good name for this structure, the Kenstinky Outhouse.

All kidding aside, it is nice.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

With Wiggins arrival, is Self going to be the "feed the post" freak he's always been next season? I mean, he has Wiggins. Wiggins means compromises. An OAD means compromises. Self has to cater to him. The whole world is watching, correct? Every potential Kentucky-bound OAD is wondering, will this turn out better than Selby? Is KU an OAD destination?

Jahlil Okafor said "I’ll definitely be watching close to see how they handle a player of his talent level." Of course he will. Would Self minimize Wiggins down the stretch of a tight game and fall back on the tried and true? Would he actually bench Wiggins like he did McLemore down the stretch if he felt it gave us the best chance to win? Yikes

Great topic raised by konkeyDong a few days ago, and sbendjayhawk yesterday -- do we play "small", assuming Embiid does not arrive as a 30 minute per game monster?

Self said -- “I think he’s a slasher who can shoot. You can post him. You can play really small with him at the 4, which we probably never will do, and of course he can be your 2-guard, which is his natural position.”

Did Self tip is hand? I don't know. It isn't really small with him at the 4. The dude is 6'8" with a big wingspan. sbend suggested Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden, White, Ellis, making the good point that such a lineup isn't really small. White being a pick and pop 4 like he was vs. Belmont might be a more likely scenario, keeping Wiggins on the perimeter. That might be a bit of a departure from the feed the post freak Self has always been.

To me, that's our best lineup. Most talent on the floor (again unless Embiid arrives as a monster). Greene may prove better than White. Heck, he's 6'7". Regardless, a great lineup for 10 - 12 minutes a game.

Playing small just means, really, playing without two true post players. That's all. Most that do it seem to have a bigger post guy than Ellis is, when there is only one true post on the floor. Could that be in the plans? Will Self fall back on his tried and true .. feed the post?

Will Wiggins change Self? In the heat of battle, what will Self do?

Changes are a comin' ..... maybe.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

If you read or listened to Self on the "Pants of Backward" radio show, Self said he would do the same and more through Wiggins. He won't change anything but use Wiggins more, a lot more, as an option. Wiggins will feed and be fed a lot in the Phog. I don't think Self was completely satisfied at how much BMac was used in games. I think the sky will be the limit for how Self will use Wigs.

El Jay 1 year, 6 months ago

putting Wiggins at the 4 is small when you consider the other post options being Ellis and Embiid or even Ellis and Traylor. Wiggins is awesome, but he's not physical like Traylor, he's not as skilled of a pure post player as Ellis and hes not nearly as big as Embiid. I think Self is right at moving him between the 2 and the 3. Im sure he'll see some time at the 4, but I really dont that that will be or should be our primary plan of attack

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

Self screamed all last year at the guards to penetrate. Let him scream at the 6'8' guard that can handle the ball as well as anyone on the team. Early on, expect Ellis to be the main offense inside. Self will let Wiggins go to the rim any time he wants.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Now that Mr Wiggins is officially a Jayhawk, have we decided on a proper nickname for him?

Someone a few days ago (sorry, I don't remember who - but I wish it was me) came up with " Big Wig ". I thought that was pretty good.

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this incredibly important aspect of his time here..........

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The Assassin. Or Alpha Dog. Not Wiggly. Nor Wiggles.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

NBA scouting is, for the most part, a complete joke. The logic behind the way teams draft is flawed, and you see it over and over again. I say this as I look at this situation between Noel and McLemore, because the fact that the last SG to be drafted #1 overall was David Thompson in 1975 is very telling.

I can think of two transcendental SGs in the past 30 years who were passed over for the "no brainer" big man as the #1 overall pick in the draft, and this is because GMs and scouts can't quite figure out how to evaluate the intangible part of the game, so they default to the guys with the best physical metrics. And in a game based around putting a ball through an elevated hoop, as a general rule, the taller you are, the better advantage you will have. But that's only a general rule.

In 1984, a team passed over Michael Jordan (a SG) in favor of the bigger Sam Bowie.

In 2007, the same team passed over Kevin Durant (a SG) in favor of the bigger Greg Oden

As most of us who follow basketball know, both of those picks turned out disasterously for the team that took the "no brainer" post player in favor of the SG. And I'm not trying to suggest that Ben is the next Jordan or Duran--he's probably not. But Noel is far from a sure thing either--certainly less suited to play NBA center with his current build than either Bowie or Oden were.

(to be continued...)

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

You mean turned out disastrously for the SAME team that chose the big man ahead of the shooting guard? By the way, I'm not sure what the program was on ESPN I saw recently about Bowie, but it was fascinating. He's a very likeable man who I always felt for with his health problems.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

(...continued)

And even if you want to point out that 2 years out of 30 is a pretty small sample size, there are other, less pronounced examples of it being flawed to assume the big man is a sure-thing when compared to perimeter players.

In 2009, Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet went #1 and #2 overall, ahead of SG James Harden at #3. Obviously Griffin is an electric player, but he is also fairly one-dimensional, and can't be expected to carry a team without a player like Chris Paul (or other PG). Thabeet has clearly been degrees below Harden--who looks like he can be a franchise player after a season on the Rockets with his own team around him.

In 2005, Andrew Bogut was the #1 overall pick. Bogut has been a very nice player--including one all-NBA selection, which I argue is more a function of the dearth of true centers in the NBA than it is Bogut being amazing, but I digress--but just look at the guards who were taken after him: Deron Williams and Chris Paul. Granted, they are both PGs instead of SGs, but the issue with NBA scouts over-valuing post players continues.

In 2003, the situation was a bid different, because Lebron James was taken #1 overall, but #2 went to another center: Darko Milicic, who was taken ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade, for example. Again, the example is a tad strained here, since Anthony is a SF, but you still see the overvaluing of guys who play center. It's almost like talent scouts think they are more likely to find the next Big Dipper, Kareem, Bill Russell, Bill Walton, etc. than they are to find the next Jordan, Durant, etc...

In 2001, the top 4 picks were Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol and Eddy Curry. Obviously Gasol turned out pretty darn good, but Brown and Curry were complete rummies and Chandler has been good, but hardly a franchise centerpiece. Another example that is a little bit of a stretch, since there was no dominant SG/SF to take ahead of any of those guys, but the fact that all four were centers supports the idea that the center position is overvalued in the NBA.

In 1998, Michael Olowokandi, a center, went #1 overall, adding yet another name to the list of guys who were drafted incredibly high because of their position, but did almost nothing to justify that high draft choice.

In 1993, Shawn Bradley, another center, went #2 overall ahead of guys like Anfernee Hardaway (PG/SG), Jamal Mashburn (SF) and Allen Houston (SG).

So there is a well-established history of NBA GMs and scouts reaching in the draft for centers (or that transcendental big man), and it appears they are going to do it yet again this year. I would love to make a bet about who will end up being the better NBA player between Noel and McLemore. Noel strikes me as a Tyrus Thomas redux.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes, you are so right.

See my post above about drafting for maximum match-up advantage much higher up the thread.

jjordhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's don't forget about Paul "The Truth" Pierce who fell all the way to #10 in 1998. What a joke that was, except for the very fortunate Celtics

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

No better example than last year - Sacramento Kings select Thomas Robinson with #5 pick and Portland Trailblazers pick Damian Lillard with #6 pick.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Do you really not have anything better to do?

I know it probably doesn't take long to count your teeth, but surely there are other time-consuming things to do that are better than trolling the message boards of a program you are CLEARLY jealous of. Doesn't moonshine take awhile to make? Jeezus man. Get a [expletive] life.

You aren't welcome here, in case you haven't noticed. If you really insist on being an troll, why don't you spend your time hurling racial epithets and hopes of injury towards teenagers like the rest of your Big Bumpkin Nation, rather than here, desperate for a reaction. Any reaction, no matter how negative.

andrewJHWK 1 year, 6 months ago

Ben should have borrowed some shoes from Tom Cruise. He would have measured 6'8".

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Nickname Roster.

AW1,

AW Prime,

Big Wig,

Twig Wig,

Andrew "WHOOOSH" Wiggins,

Andrew "Wrecking Crew" Wiggins,

Wingman Wiggins,

Andy Winning Wiggins,

Andrew the Cool,

Andrew "Take You to School" Wiggins,

Andrew The Assassin,

Air Andrew.....I actually kind of like this one. It sure sounds familiar?? :)

joeloveshawks 1 year, 6 months ago

I am really hopeful that B Mac is a force in the NBA and can be an All Star. He is certainly our best chance in years. Chalmers puts up pretty good numbers and obviously Paul Pierce is one of the best players over the last 20 years. Outside of that I have always been pretty surprised with how average guys from KU have turned out in the NBA. The Morris Twins were the two guys I thought had game that would translate easily to the next level but at this point it is not really the case. A few guys have had solid careers...Collison, Gooden, Hinrich...but so many of our former standouts have just faded away at the next level...Arthur, Rush, Cole, Xavier, T Rob was pretty horrible this year. Any thoughts on why this seems to happen? Year in and year out we are a top 5 team. The quick answer is Bill does not like OAD's but that is not it. Plenty of 2-4 year guys contribute in the NBA at a high level. Certainly no blame to Bill from me either. I think he is the greatest coach in the country and I know we are lucky to have him. Just want to hear other thoughts on why KU has not had much success with guys in the NBA. Possibly B Mac and now Wiggins will change that trend.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

Simple. NBA rosters are VERY small compared to other sports and competition is world wide. Compare that to football where rosters are 60 or whatever many people and really the U.S. is the only people who take it seriously. Relatively speaking, NBA rosters are simply harder to make than other sports so it seems like our guys flake out a lot but if you stop and look it happens at all schools.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 6 months ago

Very good point. I think a lot of it is coincidence too that a few of our All Americans just did not pan out. They could have just as easily done very well in the NBA and you are right that UNC, Duke, UK, Cuse and other top programs have similar issues. I still feel like we have a lower amount of top tier players in the NBA than most of those teams have had. Perhaps I am just over analyzing it.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

Foreigners have gotten better thus enhancing the competition for players today.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"SOME THINGS THAT MIGHT HAPPEN WHEN CAL COACHES WITH A GUN TO HIS HEAD"

~Chicago newspapers may refuse to retract stories about cash offered to UK players.

~World Wide Wes does a Dirty Harry imitation and says: "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?"

~Dr. Phil interviews Cal and says: ""If you are going to trust somebody, trust yourself, not somebody that doesn't seem to have your best interest at heart."

~On The Ellen Show, after asking Cal what it feels like to have a gun at his head, Ellen turns to the camera and says: "Nothing says holidays, like a Glock at your head."

~The chances of a motion play approaches 100%.

~Vacating a season is about a year away.

~Might lose another NIT game.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 6 months ago

If you make a twitter threat it's the same as making a personal threat to the persons face. Jail time, no excuses. I guarantee there will be a lot less threats on twitter if that were the case. Let's be honest, they're only threats anyways. The reason these D Bags say that stuff is because they're cowards.

On a brighter note, lets hope Bmac gets the no. 1 pick! Who wants a dude that's already torn an ACL (Nerlens Noel)? How many players come back from that and are better after the fact? I only know one ... Adrian Peterson. And that's because he's ALLLL DAY!

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 6 months ago

I've been up for 76 straight hours. Since Tuesday, 11:09 AM. I've watched every AW highlight video and news clip posted on the web, at least twice. I've had the 2013 McDAA game replaying on an endless loop, except now I've been viewing it knowing AW is a Jayhawk (it makes a huge difference) I've read every AW article ever written, both from the pre and post LOI signing, both digital and print media. I've read every line of every posted comment of those articles. I've done all that. I've come to the end of the last post. I've nothing left. Please give me more.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

What is your obsession with Andrew White ?

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Speaking of AWIII...redshirt? He really reminds me a lot of Rel. He may have a simliar career and possibly better than Rel. It would be great to have him around an extra year.

joeloveshawks 1 year, 6 months ago

I am surprised so many people are asking if AWIII will redshirt. Him and Greene are essentially the same type of player. I know that Greene is ranked a bit higher coming out of school but White has a year of college under his belt, knows the system and to me seems really focused on getting better and making an impact on this team. I fully expect him to play this year and to back up Wiggins or Selden at the 3. It may be Greene or Mason who are looking at redshirts.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 6 months ago

We've already created a jingle about getting Wiggins in our household...We've gone out to get ice cream to celebrate getting Wiggins. It's on folks! This is one of my favorite teams in recent years. The team that lost to VCU was loaded too, but this one has IMO more pure shooters / scorers. As someone said the other day, Tharpe just needs to work on those alley oops : )

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

Instead of Will Smith's "gettin' jiggy with it" maybe we can get a remake of "gettin' Wiggy with it" made?

mikehawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Not the internet, Twitter, text, etc., but the heart and soul of the user. Before we point a finger at other schools/fans for their highly inappropriate response to the Andrew Wiggins signing, let's remember we have seen negative comments when players we have wanted have signed with other teams. Whether, they measured the level of hate reported here, I can't say. But, let's see our reaction if we have to forfeit games because of Ben and his famly's activities. Sunday School Lesson #3: "when you point a finger, watch out, because there are three more pointing back at you."

Ryan Patti 1 year, 6 months ago

For all of you that have YouTube accounts: Subscribe to me at "RockChalkToTheGrave". I make news, updates, highlight videos, and others involving KU bball. Maybe some of you guys that are subscribed to me are actually on here anyway. ROCK CHALK!!