Friday, May 17, 2013

NBA teams size up McLemore, Withey at combine

Kansas guard Ben McLemore extends all his limbs as he defends against an inbound pass from Ohio State forward Sam Thompson during the first half on Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012 at Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio.

DraftExpress.com says Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel will be taken No. 1 overall and Kansas University’s Ben McLemore No. 2 in the 2013 NBA Draft.

NBAdraft.net flip-flops, going with shooting guard McLemore at No. 1 and power forward/center Noel No. 2.

Is the order of any consequence to McLemore?

You bet.

“I think it’d be important to me, being the No. 1 draft pick and that a shooting guard hasn’t been a No. 1 pick for a while, for years,” McLemore told NBA.com before Thursday’s NBA combine in Chicago. “It’d be very important to me to make history. It would be great to be No. 1, being able to help my family out.”

McLemore said he was aware no shooting guard has been taken No. 1 overall since David Thompson in 1975.

“I actually looked that up and did some research on that and saw that,” McLemore said. “I realized I can make history again, so I’ve just been working hard each and every day. You have to have the mind-set to go get something that you want. I have the mind-set if I want to be the No. 1 pick, I’ve got to work for it. I know it’s head-to-head with Nerlens and me, and we both have to work for that spot.”

McLemore, who was listed at 6-foot-5 with shoes at KU, checked in at 6-43⁄4 with shoes and a 6-73⁄4 wingspan (according to ESPN’s Chad Ford) in Chicago. Noel measured 6-111⁄2 with shoes, with a 7-51⁄2 wingspan and 9-foot standing reach.

The overall No. 1 pick will receive $4,436,900 the first year; $4,636,600 the second and $4,836,300 the third. The No. 2 pick will net $3,969,800 the first year, $4,148,500 the second and $4,327,100 the third.

“It’s just a blessing to know I’m going to be able to take care of my family,” McLemore said.

He was asked how special a player he can be. “Pretty special. I think I can impact a lot in the NBA, especially with my jumping and athleticism, just being a humble person and going out there playing the game I love,” he said.

McLemore didn’t dispute comparisons to NBA veteran Ray Allen.

“Especially with shooting ability. I don’t know about the athleticism anymore,” he said with a smile. “I compare myself with him a lot — getting myself open, coming off screens. I think it’s a great comparison, me and Ray Allen.”

McLemore, who is not competing in drills at the combine per his status as a potential No. 1 pick, said he will hold one to three individual workouts for teams. Top-five picks generally have little to gain and potentially a lot to lose if flaws are found during drills.

“I don’t know. Either one to three teams is the most I’ll be working out for,” he said. “I’m waiting on the process.”

Withey in Chicago: Former KU center Jeff Withey, who is regarded as a first-round pick, did work out at the combine.

“It’s similar to games at LeBron (James camp),” Withey told hoopsworld.com. “I’m used to being around top names. We play against a lot of great players in the Big 12. I know a lot of these guys from camps and stuff.

“Human nature you are looking to your left and see a guy hit a shot, you want to match that,” Withey added. “If you don’t you kind of get down on yourself. But I am not too worried about everyone else. I’m trying to focus on myself and get better. If I miss a shot I know I’m going to make the next one. It’s the mentality I have.”

Mean tweets: Future KU guard Andrew Wiggins was amazed at the negative tweets he received on Twitter following Tuesday’s announcement that he’d chosen KU over Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. Some fans of the losing schools wished ill upon the Huntingon (W. Va.) Prep senior. One fan hoped he’d tear both his ACLs. Another wanted to break Wiggins’ neck. Some others attacked him with racial slurs.

“Wow, this is bad,” Wiggins told Huntington Herald-Dispatch reporter Grant Traylor as he scrolled through the tweets 15 minutes after his signing ceremony.

Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford didn’t like what he read.

“Social media has made recruiting kind of a disaster, honestly,” Fulford told Traylor. “There are so many people who have access to those (players) that they normally wouldn’t. It’s really dangerous.”

Vitale gala, graduation: KU coach Bill Self has a busy weekend ahead. He, former Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun, will be honored at tonight’s Dick Vitale Gala at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, Florida. The Gala is a fundraiser for cancer research. Self on Sunday will watch six Jayhawks graduate. They are: his daughter, Lauren, plus current seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young as well as former KU center Cole Aldrich, an NBA free agent who finished last season with the Sacramento Kings.

Comments

Ryan Patti 11 months, 1 week ago

For all of you that have YouTube accounts: Subscribe to me at "RockChalkToTheGrave". I make news, updates, highlight videos, and others involving KU bball. Maybe some of you guys that are subscribed to me are actually on here anyway. ROCK CHALK!!

mikehawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Not the internet, Twitter, text, etc., but the heart and soul of the user. Before we point a finger at other schools/fans for their highly inappropriate response to the Andrew Wiggins signing, let's remember we have seen negative comments when players we have wanted have signed with other teams. Whether, they measured the level of hate reported here, I can't say. But, let's see our reaction if we have to forfeit games because of Ben and his famly's activities. Sunday School Lesson #3: "when you point a finger, watch out, because there are three more pointing back at you."

jaybate 11 months, 1 week ago

1 is for the way I capitalize u.

justinryman 11 months, 1 week ago

Instead of Will Smith's "gettin' jiggy with it" maybe we can get a remake of "gettin' Wiggy with it" made?

Preston Dwiggins 11 months, 1 week ago

We've already created a jingle about getting Wiggins in our household...We've gone out to get ice cream to celebrate getting Wiggins. It's on folks! This is one of my favorite teams in recent years. The team that lost to VCU was loaded too, but this one has IMO more pure shooters / scorers. As someone said the other day, Tharpe just needs to work on those alley oops : )

joeloveshawks 11 months, 1 week ago

I am surprised so many people are asking if AWIII will redshirt. Him and Greene are essentially the same type of player. I know that Greene is ranked a bit higher coming out of school but White has a year of college under his belt, knows the system and to me seems really focused on getting better and making an impact on this team. I fully expect him to play this year and to back up Wiggins or Selden at the 3. It may be Greene or Mason who are looking at redshirts.

Michael Gentemann 11 months, 1 week ago

I've been up for 76 straight hours. Since Tuesday, 11:09 AM. I've watched every AW highlight video and news clip posted on the web, at least twice. I've had the 2013 McDAA game replaying on an endless loop, except now I've been viewing it knowing AW is a Jayhawk (it makes a huge difference) I've read every AW article ever written, both from the pre and post LOI signing, both digital and print media. I've read every line of every posted comment of those articles. I've done all that. I've come to the end of the last post. I've nothing left. Please give me more.

John Fitzgerald 11 months, 1 week ago

If you make a twitter threat it's the same as making a personal threat to the persons face. Jail time, no excuses. I guarantee there will be a lot less threats on twitter if that were the case. Let's be honest, they're only threats anyways. The reason these D Bags say that stuff is because they're cowards.

On a brighter note, lets hope Bmac gets the no. 1 pick! Who wants a dude that's already torn an ACL (Nerlens Noel)? How many players come back from that and are better after the fact? I only know one ... Adrian Peterson. And that's because he's ALLLL DAY!

jaybate 11 months, 1 week ago

"SOME THINGS THAT MIGHT HAPPEN WHEN CAL COACHES WITH A GUN TO HIS HEAD"

~Chicago newspapers may refuse to retract stories about cash offered to UK players.

~World Wide Wes does a Dirty Harry imitation and says: "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?"

~Dr. Phil interviews Cal and says: ""If you are going to trust somebody, trust yourself, not somebody that doesn't seem to have your best interest at heart."

~On The Ellen Show, after asking Cal what it feels like to have a gun at his head, Ellen turns to the camera and says: "Nothing says holidays, like a Glock at your head."

~The chances of a motion play approaches 100%.

~Vacating a season is about a year away.

~Might lose another NIT game.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

joeloveshawks 11 months, 1 week ago

I am really hopeful that B Mac is a force in the NBA and can be an All Star. He is certainly our best chance in years. Chalmers puts up pretty good numbers and obviously Paul Pierce is one of the best players over the last 20 years. Outside of that I have always been pretty surprised with how average guys from KU have turned out in the NBA. The Morris Twins were the two guys I thought had game that would translate easily to the next level but at this point it is not really the case. A few guys have had solid careers...Collison, Gooden, Hinrich...but so many of our former standouts have just faded away at the next level...Arthur, Rush, Cole, Xavier, T Rob was pretty horrible this year. Any thoughts on why this seems to happen? Year in and year out we are a top 5 team. The quick answer is Bill does not like OAD's but that is not it. Plenty of 2-4 year guys contribute in the NBA at a high level. Certainly no blame to Bill from me either. I think he is the greatest coach in the country and I know we are lucky to have him. Just want to hear other thoughts on why KU has not had much success with guys in the NBA. Possibly B Mac and now Wiggins will change that trend.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

Nickname Roster.

AW1,

AW Prime,

Big Wig,

Twig Wig,

Andrew "WHOOOSH" Wiggins,

Andrew "Wrecking Crew" Wiggins,

Wingman Wiggins,

Andy Winning Wiggins,

Andrew the Cool,

Andrew "Take You to School" Wiggins,

Andrew The Assassin,

Air Andrew.....I actually kind of like this one. It sure sounds familiar?? :)

andrewJHWK 11 months, 1 week ago

Ben should have borrowed some shoes from Tom Cruise. He would have measured 6'8".

Sam Constance 11 months, 1 week ago

(...continued)

And even if you want to point out that 2 years out of 30 is a pretty small sample size, there are other, less pronounced examples of it being flawed to assume the big man is a sure-thing when compared to perimeter players.

In 2009, Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet went #1 and #2 overall, ahead of SG James Harden at #3. Obviously Griffin is an electric player, but he is also fairly one-dimensional, and can't be expected to carry a team without a player like Chris Paul (or other PG). Thabeet has clearly been degrees below Harden--who looks like he can be a franchise player after a season on the Rockets with his own team around him.

In 2005, Andrew Bogut was the #1 overall pick. Bogut has been a very nice player--including one all-NBA selection, which I argue is more a function of the dearth of true centers in the NBA than it is Bogut being amazing, but I digress--but just look at the guards who were taken after him: Deron Williams and Chris Paul. Granted, they are both PGs instead of SGs, but the issue with NBA scouts over-valuing post players continues.

In 2003, the situation was a bid different, because Lebron James was taken #1 overall, but #2 went to another center: Darko Milicic, who was taken ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade, for example. Again, the example is a tad strained here, since Anthony is a SF, but you still see the overvaluing of guys who play center. It's almost like talent scouts think they are more likely to find the next Big Dipper, Kareem, Bill Russell, Bill Walton, etc. than they are to find the next Jordan, Durant, etc...

In 2001, the top 4 picks were Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol and Eddy Curry. Obviously Gasol turned out pretty darn good, but Brown and Curry were complete rummies and Chandler has been good, but hardly a franchise centerpiece. Another example that is a little bit of a stretch, since there was no dominant SG/SF to take ahead of any of those guys, but the fact that all four were centers supports the idea that the center position is overvalued in the NBA.

In 1998, Michael Olowokandi, a center, went #1 overall, adding yet another name to the list of guys who were drafted incredibly high because of their position, but did almost nothing to justify that high draft choice.

In 1993, Shawn Bradley, another center, went #2 overall ahead of guys like Anfernee Hardaway (PG/SG), Jamal Mashburn (SF) and Allen Houston (SG).

So there is a well-established history of NBA GMs and scouts reaching in the draft for centers (or that transcendental big man), and it appears they are going to do it yet again this year. I would love to make a bet about who will end up being the better NBA player between Noel and McLemore. Noel strikes me as a Tyrus Thomas redux.

Sam Constance 11 months, 1 week ago

NBA scouting is, for the most part, a complete joke. The logic behind the way teams draft is flawed, and you see it over and over again. I say this as I look at this situation between Noel and McLemore, because the fact that the last SG to be drafted #1 overall was David Thompson in 1975 is very telling.

I can think of two transcendental SGs in the past 30 years who were passed over for the "no brainer" big man as the #1 overall pick in the draft, and this is because GMs and scouts can't quite figure out how to evaluate the intangible part of the game, so they default to the guys with the best physical metrics. And in a game based around putting a ball through an elevated hoop, as a general rule, the taller you are, the better advantage you will have. But that's only a general rule.

In 1984, a team passed over Michael Jordan (a SG) in favor of the bigger Sam Bowie.

In 2007, the same team passed over Kevin Durant (a SG) in favor of the bigger Greg Oden

As most of us who follow basketball know, both of those picks turned out disasterously for the team that took the "no brainer" post player in favor of the SG. And I'm not trying to suggest that Ben is the next Jordan or Duran--he's probably not. But Noel is far from a sure thing either--certainly less suited to play NBA center with his current build than either Bowie or Oden were.

(to be continued...)

nuleafjhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

Now that Mr Wiggins is officially a Jayhawk, have we decided on a proper nickname for him?

Someone a few days ago (sorry, I don't remember who - but I wish it was me) came up with " Big Wig ". I thought that was pretty good.

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this incredibly important aspect of his time here..........

Jack Wilson 11 months, 1 week ago

With Wiggins arrival, is Self going to be the "feed the post" freak he's always been next season? I mean, he has Wiggins. Wiggins means compromises. An OAD means compromises. Self has to cater to him. The whole world is watching, correct? Every potential Kentucky-bound OAD is wondering, will this turn out better than Selby? Is KU an OAD destination?

Jahlil Okafor said "I’ll definitely be watching close to see how they handle a player of his talent level." Of course he will. Would Self minimize Wiggins down the stretch of a tight game and fall back on the tried and true? Would he actually bench Wiggins like he did McLemore down the stretch if he felt it gave us the best chance to win? Yikes

Great topic raised by konkeyDong a few days ago, and sbendjayhawk yesterday -- do we play "small", assuming Embiid does not arrive as a 30 minute per game monster?

Self said -- “I think he’s a slasher who can shoot. You can post him. You can play really small with him at the 4, which we probably never will do, and of course he can be your 2-guard, which is his natural position.”

Did Self tip is hand? I don't know. It isn't really small with him at the 4. The dude is 6'8" with a big wingspan. sbend suggested Tharpe, Wiggins, Selden, White, Ellis, making the good point that such a lineup isn't really small. White being a pick and pop 4 like he was vs. Belmont might be a more likely scenario, keeping Wiggins on the perimeter. That might be a bit of a departure from the feed the post freak Self has always been.

To me, that's our best lineup. Most talent on the floor (again unless Embiid arrives as a monster). Greene may prove better than White. Heck, he's 6'7". Regardless, a great lineup for 10 - 12 minutes a game.

Playing small just means, really, playing without two true post players. That's all. Most that do it seem to have a bigger post guy than Ellis is, when there is only one true post on the floor. Could that be in the plans? Will Self fall back on his tried and true .. feed the post?

Will Wiggins change Self? In the heat of battle, what will Self do?

Changes are a comin' ..... maybe.

Chris Baker 11 months, 1 week ago

A few thoughts...

Crazy awesome that Cole has finished his KU degree and will get to hang his Jayhawk diploma on the wall among his other accolades.

Super happy for Ben, not your typical OAD player by any stretch. I don't think he came here fully intending to be a OAD, he took the NCAA ruling like a champ last year and worked hard to be a star this year. Given his family situation, as much as we'd all love to see him in a Kansas uniform next season, I think every KU fan should support his decision to do what is best for himself and his family. Unlike a lot of OAD's who, I think, just use their one-year school as a means to millions and never look back, I think Ben will always be proud of his two years in Lawrence and will likely return often.

UK fans never miss an opportunity to prove that they are the worst fans in college basketball. You'd like to think that would impact their recruiting, but Cal's pitch is probably strong enough to overcome most any negative when speaking to a player whose primary focus is on the riches of the NBA. I don't want to issue a blanket judgement here, but my feeling is that any recruit that signs with Cal is really not interested in education, being part of a true basketball family/dynasty, genuine teamwork and the college experience. We love our KU players and they receive great treatment, but it's nothing like the accommodations that UK lays out for their players.

Speaking of, have you seen the new UK basketball housing they put these players in? Apartment style dorms full of big screen TV's, expensive recliners, genuine memorabilia embedded in walls including all eight of their actual championship trophies (not replicas!), state of the art rec room and dining room with a full time professional chef, touch screen digital itinerary monitors in most rooms, a giant pool table and players lounge. It is all legal according to the NCAA as well, which requires only that at least 50% of the residents of any such facility be traditional non-student athletes. So the $7 million dollar facility is designed for the 15 or so members of the basketball team, and another insanely lucky 15 or so regular students who applied. So they could build every basketball player a mini-mansion to live in if they want to, as long as they build an equal number for regular students. You can imagine how much of a recruiting advantage this is! (Side note: Only UK basketball players get this treatment, their other student athletes get to live in the dorms, football included)

Here is Cal offering a video walk-through of their facility:

Steve Gantz 11 months, 1 week ago

I think a lot of us have an inferiority complex involving Kentucky. We sure like to write about them!

Timothy Rake 11 months, 1 week ago

1 pick depends on team needs? Yea! And out here in Oregon, the Trailblazers have filled some real needs with those #1 picks: Sam Bowie, Greg Oden... REAL trailblazers into oblivion. Chicago and OKC took 'em to the bank!

iamakufan 11 months, 1 week ago

As for which will be chosen first, McLemore or Noel, I think it depends entirely on what the lottery winning school needs and/or what deals they have made with other schools who need/want one of those players.

iamakufan 11 months, 1 week ago

It's sad that people can't wish a young man well in his future even though he chose a school other than their own favorite. It's times like this that show what class, or lack of class, the fans of certain schools have. I don't recall KU fans acting like that when Jabari Parker and Julius Randle chose other schools.

El Jay 11 months, 1 week ago

On a separate note, Im not fan of the 'Jayhawk Nation' moniker, I prefer the Jayhawk Family. Im probably alone on this but Jayhawk Nation just sounds too much like were ripping off BBN, which I know we arent. Also, after Thomas' troubles and the whole FOE thing became huge at KU, Jayhawk Family just seemed to be a better description of our fan base. Id rather be part of a family than a nation. I think it sends a different and better message to recruits - you can join a nation of racist idiots or you can become part of our family. I dont know. Am I totally off my rocker here?

El Jay 11 months, 1 week ago

If you wish injury on any player for any reason you are a total scumbag. Im not even sure what else to say. Id like to think that KU fans would never go as far as to wish injury on a guy or throw racial slurs at him just b/c he didnt pick us. I know people get upset and say stuff like "big mistake", which is fine I suppose, but this other stuff just goes way too far and gives you some insight into the lack of intelligence and class of the fan bases of those other schools. I cant help but think (and I havent looked at the feed so I dont know) that a large portion of those comments came from the back-asswards state of Kentucky. Its a terrible school academically and most UK fans never went to college anyhow. Hopefully this just proved to Wiggy that he made the right choice. He's gonna be a Jayhawk for life and thats something he's always going to be able to take pride in - not just due to on-court accomplishments, but because of what the Jayhawk family is like off the court as well. Oh well, haters motivate. The best revenge is winning a National Championship! Rock Chalk Jayhawk baby!!!

Eric Baker 11 months, 1 week ago

If Noel gets picked #1 it will be BECAUSE of his injury, not IN SPITE of his injury. He was looking more promising leading up to the incident, but I still don't think he was #1 draft pick impressive. That injury got all the NBA front offices' imaginations going wild, thinking about possibility.

I think this will be a classic repeat of the 2007 draft, where Oden was drafted #1 and Durant #2. Noel's going to be #1 and McLemore #2, but it's McLemore that's going to be the perennial all star.

William Blake 11 months, 1 week ago

"...plus current seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young as well as former KU center Cole Aldrich, an NBA free agent who finished last season with the Sacramento Kings."

What do you know... these guys really were student-athletes!

Congrats to our graduates!

Kentucky fans can't stand the possibility that they may not win a NC next year. What class, huh?

Tony Bandle 11 months, 1 week ago

Mind-boggling as it seems, don't the nimrod Kentucky fans realize that any racial slur hurled at Andrew is secondarily hurled at everyone on their own team??

I had a Kentucky friend, and let me emphasize the word "HAD", who I was talking to about UK vs KU basketball. I asked him how difficult it was not to have continuity with the players being all OADs.

His response ended our relationship. He said simply, " Aw, I don't worry about it...Coach Cal will just bring in another new set on monkees!!"

He said it with such casual nonchalance that I knew I was done with this butthead forever. I am afraid that this attitude is not uncommon in Lexington!!

justinryman 11 months, 1 week ago

Remember before Twitter, when idiots kept thier opinions to themselves?

KemDooKU 11 months, 1 week ago

Sad that some Kentucky fans decided to take the scum road and not suck it up like a Man - I am sure it's just a select few and not the majority. I think that UK now feels entitled to get the top players and when they don't the reaction can be fierce- I think most KU fans did not expect Wiggins to sign ( i didnt) with us so KU reaction would have been "OH Well". - but that changed after he said going to KU........ So our reaction changed to: Absolute Joy and Happiness so enjoy the KU finger ........and sit and spin UK fans.

Joe Baker 11 months, 1 week ago

Twitter is sad. Wiggins should get his account changed. I was afraid that crap was going to happen. Most would never take a kid's choice that personal and make ridiculous comments. They are all cowards that have nothing better to do, but harrass a young kid. But, he better get used to it. Unfortunately, he's going to get this and worse as his career progresses.

Rock Chalk Andrew and keep your spirits high. These well-wishers aren't worth your time. Enjoy your time with family and friends in Canada. Get ready to enjoy your college experience at a program started by a fellow Canadian, Dr James Naismith and continue his tradition. You're a great kid and many respect you for how you handled your entire process. Like you said, it's time to "do your thing." Bill Self is honored and ready for the challenge to have your talents.

ittyandpace 11 months, 1 week ago

That is the best idea I have heard all day.

ittyandpace 11 months, 1 week ago

Oops, last post was for approx.

Totally off subject here: I live in the land of “now we know why you won’t play us” (Wichita). Just because it rained last week doesn’t make Kansas a rainforest. I have two colors in my wardrobe . . .blue . . and . . . KU blue. I will be in the St.Louis (Florissant)area for a week in June. Sometime during that week I will be needing a Jayhawk fix. Does anyone know of any “tailgating” that goes on during the off-season in the St.Louis area? I would love to sit and shoot the breeze with some of the Jayhawk Nation to lessen the funk of a not so impressive ending to the season. (and prevent that black and gold Columbia plague from sticking to me)

ittyandpace 11 months, 1 week ago

Same hope for me. . My wife only gets into during the season.

Kevin Huffman 11 months, 1 week ago

Realistically, Noel's MORE likely to be No. 1. But A LOT also depends on who gets that No. 1 pick.

I.e., Orlando (w/ Gl. Davis & Vucevic) & Detroit (w/ Monroe & Drummond) for example wouldn't have the need as much for inside help as a SG and WOULD be likely to take Ben No. 1....maybe Charlotte as well.

But a lot of the other clubs would take Nerlens 1st.

Ron Franklin 11 months, 1 week ago

Man, that could have been our schools fanbase they are writing about if Wiggins didn't select us. Actually, I think most of us probably had our expectations tempered more than the other three schools based on our run of 'bad luck' for top recruits who hold out until the last minute.

It is crazy how just a few voices out of millions of fans can make an entire program look bad.

Ron Franklin 11 months, 1 week ago

Look, Calipari still got Noel drafted at #1. He must be a heck of a developer. I mean, Cal is the reason Rose, Evans, Anthony Davis, et. al were all top draft picks, right?

Doesn't Nerlens still being drafted #1 debunk the "I gotta go get my millions now in case I injure my leg coming back to school"???????????????????????? The kid about ripped his lower leg off, and he's still projected as #1 based on talent alone. And that crazy ass wingspan.

jhawkrulz 11 months, 1 week ago

I always worry about knee injuries and would never wish them on anyone. The fact that Noel has a knee issue and he is a big man typically doesn't bode well. I almost think that ESPN has made Noel's story one that helped him extremely well. Although I don't follow the draftexpress and other draft specials. I really hadn't heard his name mentioned as the top of the top. Although my understanding was that he was probably in that 3-7 range. After the injury everyone commented how bad this was and that he would be in the 15-27 range. Than UK played horrible without him (however, I would argue they weren't a great team with and without him this past year). And now he has shot up to either 1-2. I always think it depends on which teams win the lottery and some need is based in there; however, ESPN has carried him. I even was listening to Mike & Mike the other morning and they were referring to him as the future #1 pick in the nba draft. Only until the end they referenced draftexpress or another drafting site.

I hope that McLemore is the #1 pick (of course I am biased).

FearlessJayhawk 11 months, 1 week ago

I would tell Andrew Wiggins when he reads terrible comments like that to be thankful he didn't go to one of those schools, especially Kentucky. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to go to Kentucky. I don't care what kind of tradition they have. They have a very seedy past reputation. Unfortunately, I have to live up the road 60 miles from Lexington. I'd give anything to be back in Kansas.

Timmay97 11 months, 1 week ago

Anyone have any website suggestions on buying KU gear? I know about KUStore.com, but the prices are ludacris. I live in NJ.......suffice to say they don't have KU gear in stores out here. Hell, they don't even have Rutgers gear. :-)

Def need to update the wardrobe and get the kiddos and wife some stuff. Thanks!

I'm stoked for the upcoming year! Thinking about a trip to the Bahamas (I wish).

Keith Kienzle 11 months, 1 week ago

I hope my wife can handle me talking about the upcoming season all summer.

Jason Keller 11 months, 1 week ago

Ben is one of my favorite Jayhawks of all time. He is just such a sweet kid. I really, really , really hope that he chooses his circle more wisely from here on out. Oh, and he's going to be the #1 pick. When it comes down to it, Noel's ACL injury will have GMs scared.

KansasComet 11 months, 1 week ago

Congrats to all the graduating Jayhawks, and thanks for the memories. I still like watching Elijah Johnson's 39 against ISU, definitely one of this year's highlights. Andrew Wiggins, have fun young man living your dream. Don't waste your time thinking about those that are only upset because you didn't pick their school. You made the right choice, because it was your choice!

Stephan123 11 months, 1 week ago

Kentucky fanatics twitting on the McLemore's decision have exhibited comparable, discombobulated babble found in other regions where generations of inbreeding has left debilitating, genetic scars (e.g., Missouri).

jayhawker97 11 months, 1 week ago

i'd be surprised if Noel ends up to be #1. he's still got to develop plenty of muscle to become a top center pick in the NBA. as for Ben, it's a no brainer, he'll be contributing in points right away. i wish Ben all the best in the NBA! stay hungry, bro!! wouldn't it be super awesome to watch BMac + Wiggins play together this coming season?

btw, dear coach Townsend, have you attended one of Marcus LoVett Jr's games? what do you think?

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 1 week ago

All 4 seniors graduating, AWESOME!!! Congratulation to all of our seniors and to the program staff that made sure they did. I am sure Coach Self is a proud dad having his daughter and his "adopted" kids graduate. Special congratulation to Cole, he has finally achieved one of the goals he had when he came to KU; I am sure his family is as proud of him as his extended Jayhawk family. Hopefully he will join a team where he has a chance to get meaningful playing time and have a great professional career. At KU the words "graduating senior" are the norm; at UK, on the other hand, the same words are considered an oxymoron.

Joe Ross 11 months, 1 week ago

Kansas has seen lots of players we recruited go elsewhere, but I have never seen an acrimonious slur be uttered by a single Kansas fan on par with the ridiculous statements coming out of Kentucky. Just proves Andrew made a good choice. Wildcats are sore losers!

jayhawkinnc 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm sad to see McLemore not play for us anymore, but very happy for him that he will be one of the top picks in the draft and that he can now help his family financially. Self said Ben's attitude was great and handled things like a trooper when the NCAA informed him he had to sit out 2011-12. I'm so impressed by him and very happy for him. Great kid.

As for the negative tweets towards Wiggins.......the torn ACL wishes came from Kentucky fans. Apparently, the Harrison Twins at UK had some mean things to say as well. I've heard those guys are toxic. Hopefully other recruits will see that and see how classless UK fans are and it will place a dark cloud on UK's recruiting future.

dylans 11 months, 1 week ago

A half million per year difference between 1 and 2, wow. Just wow.